VietJet Air

"one-star experience"

Not Verified | Ho Chi Minh to Singapore. Absolutely trash airline with rude staff. They will extort you for more money at the check-in counter. One check-in staff robbed me of 30 USD, daylight robbery for extra check-in luggage. I have traveled to 9 countries multiple times this year with the same one small luggage and one backpack setup with practically the same weight throughout and have never had to pay for extra check-in baggage. A "cheap" flight just became 60% more expensive. What's more, they have a cheap wet-market weighing scale at the boarding gate (I am not even kidding) to make sure your carry-on bag is less than 7kg. I gave the staff a death stare and I swear they did the right thing to turn a blind eye. I saw that the couple behind me at the boarding gate queue had to pay extra fees because their bag was over 7kg. They will hold your flight ransom again until you pay the extra fees in USD the same as at the check-in counter. In the end, the flight was delayed for exactly 2 hours. The flight attendants only arrived at the boarding gate to prep the plane 10min before the flight was supposed to takeoff. I would never take Vietjet Air even if you gave me flights for free. There are so many other horrible one-star experiences with this airline.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Singapore
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"reweigh and charge extra"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh to Hong Kong. A terrible airline that is essentially screwing their customers. You check in and luggage is weighed with no comments - then at the gate they reweigh and charge extra. My friend got caught in HCM with this today and ended up paying HK$500. They need to at least implement the policy properly at the check in counter.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Hong Kong

"Worst experience ever"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Ho Chi Minh to Phu Quoc. Worst experience ever. Never use this airline even if you are in hurry. It's been delayed without notice, randomly selecting passengers to weigh their cabin luggages but they don't even allow 0.5kg. Had to pay 550,000 Don for 0.5kg. While other people are taking a cabin luggage as well as a handbag, I wasn't allowed to do so without appropriate answer. They just wanted money from me. Never use this airline.
RouteHo Chi Minh to Phu Quoc
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"it wasn't a bad experience"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Hanoi to Incheon. Overall I was satisfied with this airline. Ground staff, as well as cabin crew were friendly and helpful. However, the lack of legroom was a little ridiculous. I'm 1,76m tall, and my knees were pressed against the seat in front of me for 5 hours. Not ideal. But other than that, it wasn't a bad experience.
RouteHanoi to Incheon
Date FlownAugust 2019

"didn't care at all for their customers"

Trip Verified | This was the worst airline I have ever encountered. The first flight went smoothly, then I found out that my transfer flight was delayed for more than two hours (for reasons unknown to me). It took an hour and a half to get my transfer boarding pass ticket printed because they had a system error. I waited at the gate for an hour and a half and we were supposed to be boarding by this time, but the woman at the counter said that she didn't know when the airplane was coming. So our flight was delayed again, but the staff did nothing to communicate this to us. When I went to the counter and asked them about contacting the pilot or figuring out what the plan was, the staff got frustrated at me for asking a fair question. In total, our flight was delayed for 4 hours. No one apologized, no one took responsibility, and it truly felt they didn't care at all for their customers. We weren't even offered a drink during a 4.5 hour flight. I read the bad reviews and I thought it would be okay, but I urge you not to make the same mistake I did. Don't take VietJetAir. They don't value their customers or our time.
RouteYangon to Incheon via Hanoi
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Do not choose this company"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Bangkok to Chiang Mai. The departing hours was 12:20. Some days before the departing day the flight was delayed at 13:50. The same morning of the departure we were informed that our flight was postponed at 15.20. 20 minutes before the boarding time the company informed us that the flight was postponed of approximately 2 hours. In the overall about 5 hours of delay. Do not choose this company.
RouteBangkok to Chiang Mai
Date FlownAugust 2019

"flights I had were delayed"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Nha Trang to Hanoi. That day at 7:30am the plane must have taken off but passengers were still waiting near the gates and there were no information at the screens about delay and no information desk. To inquire passengers had to go out to the main hall but to come back you must go through security checking again. Company representative told that all the flights are delayed because of the training shooting of army in the sea. My flight was delayed for 5 hours. I asked the representative if he was sure about certain time. I told that I would go to the city because I didn’t want to sit 5 hours at the airport. He said he was sure - no more delay, and he was sure that the plane would take off at 12:25 as he wrote at my boarding pass and not earlier. I went back home and in two hours they call me asking to proceed to the plane. Of course I was shocked. Plane flew without me. They moved me to the night flight and it was delayed for 2 hours too. Now I’m waiting for my back flight and I see that it is delayed for 30 minutes. I can firmly state that more than 50% of this company flights are delayed. I use this lowcoster inside the country more than 2 years (because here is no much option) and almost all flights I had were delayed. As for me I didn’t lose anything that day except taxi expenses but I heard conversation between guys from Korea and company representative: they tried to explain him that if they are late to Saigon they will miss flight to China and next flight inside China. The representative said they could only refund that single ticket or change to another.
RouteNha Trang to Hanoi
Date FlownAugust 2019

"my family of 4 got seats on all different rows"

Not Verified | Despite having a delay of over 2 hours my family of 4 got seats on all different rows on the aircraft, we were the first ones to check-in all together but didn’t get to sit together! I didn’t realise until it was time to board the plane, it never came across me to check as I have traveled with many airlines before and we always sat together as a family! When I came to realise this I told the flight attendant who told me to take the seats allocated to us first, in which I refused as I told him, how can my 7 year old son sit by himself next to a stranger! He kept on apologising instead of sorting it out! Luckily some front row people heard us in disbelief and 2 of them offered us they seat so that my young son and I could sit together! My husband and my 17 year old daughter had to sit in different parts of the aircraft though. I will not travel with this airline anymore, we had the same delay on the way back. I should have read the reviews before booking with VietJet Air!
RouteKuala Lumpur to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownAugust 2019

"worst I've ever experience"

Trip Verified | Thanh Hoa to Ho Chi Minh City. This is my seventh flight with them and I think this is the worst I've ever experience until now which I think none of the airlines could do with their customers. This airline company just like a whole bunch of scam from check-in crews to cabin crews. I forced me to weight my carry-on luggage which I could somehow understand while most of the airplane would never do and the thing was they also wanted to weight our small backpacks which were just 2 We had 4 persons that I believed 7kg for each and 28kg in total but, we actually had only 2 carry-on luggage for 8kg and 9kg, it was 18kg for four of us and they said "We could get in the plane only if they got split off into two of 7kg. This was a sheer nonsense so, we had to split them into a small plastic bag. When we got out of the check-in area, there were some of them pulled us over and asked to weight them again. They said we were only allowed to have 4 carry-on items which were 2 of carry-on luggage and 2 small backpack, therefore the small plastic bag wouldn't be allowed to bring onto the plane. This was ridiculous! They also had arguments with other customers and I don't think we've been treated fairly. I honestly have heard so many of complaints about VietjetAir but, now I could understand under my case. I really don't want to review them here as a Vietnamese but, they are the disappointment.
RouteThanh Hoa to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownAugust 2019

"worst ever flight experience"

Trip Verified | Danang to Singapore via Ho Chi Minh City. I’ve had the worst ever flight experience in Vietnam with VietJet Air. Firstly, our original 06:00 flight from Danang to Ho Chi Minh (VJ621) was delayed by 1h45m and this meant that we would miss our connecting flight which departs at 09:00. We emailed the airline for a change of flight to VJ633 and even asked our hotel receptionist to phone them repeatedly but the customer service team has never responded even till today. We then travelled all the way to Danang airport a day before our flight and our refund request was rejected by the staff as the delay was less than 3h. To be honest, we would never have to ask for refund should they reply to our emails and calls within 3 business days. We then resorted to our last option which meant booking an entirely different and more expensive Business Class flight with another airline (no other seats were available). At HCM airport, the VietJet Air airport staff started picking all the passengers who had suitcases and weighed all of them with the old-school weighing scale. Any bags that were heavier than 7kg would be charged the exorbitant baggage fees. The rude girl shouted at the passengers in Vietnamese / English and demonstrated the worst customer service I have witnessed. I have never taken any budget airlines that are out there to suck their customers dry of all their money through cancellation of flights, dead customer service and weighing their bags just before boarding. If these are not preventing you from taking VietJet Air, I honestly don’t know what will.
RouteDanang to Singapore via Ho Chi Minh City