United Airlines

United Airlines customer review

I have had several problems with UA over the years and tend to avoid them but recently I had no good option other than to travel with them from SFO to Dulles round-trip in economy class. The return flight on a 757-300 was horrific with turbulence for hours. The pilot never really commented on it other than a brief "It's bumpy so I've turned on the seat belt sign". I am only 5' 2" and 105 lbs. and I was unable to sit without my knees hitting the seat in front of me. There was no in-flight entertainment at all. I will continue to avoid flying UA at all costs even though they have a hub near us in SFO. My past grievance with them concerned their small seats rude flight staff and last-minute flight cancellations back-to-back with other overbooked flights. While turbulence is turbulence it was handled very poorly.

(Sweden)

Flight from Detroit to New York was 3 hours late which meant we arrived so late that there was nothing left of the day despite only a 1 hr 50 min flight. On the flight from NY to Stockholm we never experienced such unprofessional and unpleasant behaviour from the cabin crew. Overall grumpy except one younger female flight attendant. The older female was very harsh and unfriendly. We will never fly United Airlines again.

United Airlines customer review

Flight from Cancun to Houston 8/5/14 arrived at the airport 2.5 hrs prior's to flight time of 3.02pm. It took the entire 2.5 hours to get through the check in line. Ended up having to run to catch the plane. Don't know why they didn't open more lanes the line never got any shorter. When we finally got to the front the line was just as long if not longer than we got there 2.5 hours earlier. Stewardess's were not friendly. Only good thing was flight was on time.

United Airlines customer review

HNL/LAX: The return flight from Honolulu to LAX was cancelled. Even though UA had our contact information we were never notified that our flight had been cancelled. It wasn't until we went online to do our check-in that we found out about the cancelled flight. The first reservationist we spoke to was not very helpful. She had us booked to return home the next day in economy and not first class as was paid for stating this was all that was available. We weren't satisfied with her "solution" so we called UA back and spoke with another reservationist who was more helpful. Not only did she offer us another first class flight but it was also on the same day as originally planned (not the next day). Dealing with the first reservationist was very frustrating.
Seat TypeFirst Class

(China)

The in-flight service and cabin cleanliness was terrible. I have flown this flight before it has been fine. This time around the flight staff were rude or off-handish. One flight attendant abruptly placed the food tray stating 'only chicken' when another flight attendant actually had pasta. When questioned we were spoken to rudely. The toilets were not cleaned on other airlines they clean as you go. My wife mentioned to the flight attendants and their reply was 'you should see the rest of China' - we actually live in Beijing. They also said that she should wait until Beijing when it will be cleaned. Also in years past (18 years I have been flying with UAL) United had been much better. Flight attendants didn't know when to turn lights on or off or when they were suppose to start the food/beverage services. Where has the United I once knew gone?

United Airlines customer review

MEL-SYD-LAX-IAH-GIG. Paid an economy ticket and was upgraded on all flights to Business using one global credit. Service out of Melbourne was superb - attentive crew and a light load. Out of Sydney the flight was full but again the crew were attentive and service was fairly good. The flight LAX/IAH was particularly good - the crew were amazing. The last flight IAH-GIG was superior - the 772 was much newer than the one used on the SYD-LAX route and crew did not disappear for hours in the middle of the flight. The dinners were good but the breakfasts average. Considering the price paid for the ticket I was pleasantly impressed. All flights left on time and arrived on schedule or ahead of schedule. After 39 hours of travel time I was left feeling not too bad!

United Airlines customer review

I have flown with United Airlines multiple times so this is no "one time" incident. To have a something go wrong is almost unavoidable. My last experience for example was the last flight of a series of flights from Prague to New Orleans if only it were that easy. The final flight from Washington to New Orleans was supposed to leave at 6:50. There was a "late inbound aircraft arrival" which kept us all in the airport for 3 hours constantly being reassured that the flight would be there shortly. I wish I could say that this incident was the only time it has happened but unfortunately this is a feeling quite familiar to a United Aircraft flyer.

United Airlines customer review

LAX-ORD-FRA-EWR-LAX last month. All flights arrived on time with no major issues. ORD-FRA on 747 and FRA-EWR on 777. Had upper deck on the 747 and it's the best place on the plane. Less people in a much more secluded environment. On both directions the crew was congenial and the service was top notch. I appreciated being thanked for my business and for flying UA. The United Club in EWR was a bit crowded for my liking but overall a great experience on all 4 legs. I fly almost every week and they tend to get me where I need to go on-time.

United Airlines customer review

I boarded UAL 771 July 25th SFO to LAX. I had an International flight to catch on another airline. While I have had my share of grumpy UAL flight attendants I immediately noticed a different energy in the FC cabin when I entered (I bought FC - it was not a complimentary upgrade). There were two male flight attendants being warm and welcoming. They were constantly seeing what passengers needed (it was a 24 seat 757). They knew how to handle every request and not just with a sterile perfunctory smile. The mood among all of the passengers was noticeably different. I'm not sure that many of UAL's FA's know how significant they are in creating an energy on the plane among the people by the way they welcome and serve the passengers. Most FA's know how to serve a cup of water. That does not take much skill. However to serve the water and give the sense that it is done graciously is something else.
Seat TypeFirst Class

United Airlines customer review

Flight from ORD to Edinburgh was first delayed and then cancelled at 7pm due to "aircraft maintenance". We were told to stay at the gate where a 'recover' team would rebook us onto other flights. It took each agent about 15 minutes to deal with each customer and then after standing in line for an hour we were told that we had to leave the gate as it was needed for another flight. We were told to go and join the back of the long queue at the Customer Services desk across the hall. After standing in line for almost another hour we were told that the best that could be done would be to put us on the flight the next day. Luckily I checked and found an American Airlines flight to London Heathrow leaving at 9.40pm that night with an onward connection to Edinburgh with British Airways. The American and BA staff were courteous and helpful unlike the United staff who didn't seem to give a damn.