United Airlines

United Airlines customer review

My flight out from SFO was overbooked by 4 and there were some "hold your breath" moments until 4 people decided to give up their tickets and take an alternate flight. I had a connecting flight in Denver to Lincoln Nebraska. Fortunately I had a 3 hour layover in Denver which gave me plenty of time to walk from one end of the airport to the other for a connecting flight and believe me when I say it is a long haul. If anyone has a short time span to get to a connecting flight I suggest they arrange for a cart. Passenger space on United is cramped. I sat beside a big guy and had to lean well over into the aisle in order for both of us to be able to sit in the side by side seats. My return from Lincoln to SFO was a nightmare. I arrived in Lincoln got my boarding pass and when I looked at the pass and compared the time on it to the departure time listed on the board I noticed that departure was at least one hour later - which meant that I would miss my connecting flight in Denver. When I pointed this out to someone in the airport departure gate area they told me to get on the red phone to see if an alternate connection could be arranged. Once the plane finally arrived and I boarded there was still a good possibility that I would miss my revised connecting flight in Denver. I got on one of the cars that transport passengers from one gate to another arrived 15 minutes before the connecting flight was scheduled to depart and found that it also had arrived late and was just disembarking. This of course delayed the scheduled departure time of that flight. Finally to my relief I boarded the flight from Denver to SFO only to sit on tarmac for over an hour due to lightning thunder and rain. You pay for selecting seats you pay for luggage you pay for snacks and for the flight but you are packed into an exceptionally small seating space in which you cannot even fully put your tray down comfortably. Passengers should be treated better even if they fly economy.

United Airlines customer review

We flew LGA-DEN-LAX in United First. Were able to use the United Clubs in both La Guardia and Denver as we were continuing on an international flight from LAX on a Star Alliance Carrier. Pleasant check-in agent checked our bags direct through to Brisbane which saved us having to collect luggage in Los Angeles. First leg on A319 with only 8 in the first cabin was fantastic. One of the best FAs we have ever encountered. Food was very good and drinks flowed freely. Only gripe on this sector was lack of in flight entertainment. The aircraft was equipped with Wi-Fi but you had to pay to use it even in the first class cabin. Not much positive to write about the second leg on B737-900. One food option offered. If you didn't want it too bad. Not even offered a snack from the buy on board menu. Once service was over the FAs sat in the galley and proceeded to talk extremely loudly for the rest of the flight. You could hear them even with headphones on. This aircraft had free TV options. Overall score is largely based on first leg of this trip.

United Airlines customer review

20 June 2014. Was booked on flight KOD72G Denver to Chicago for business. Like all my previous experiences flying on United not only does the flight board beyond the stated time we pull out of the gate 40 minutes late only to be told while sitting on the runway that we are going to be held 30 minutes in our position. It's bad enough that the seats are extremely small now we're delayed over 1 hour total which causes issues with our connections. These constant delays and poor service from the airline is unacceptable.

United Airlines customer review

Frequent traveler with United and other airlines. United has declining service reduced food reduced beverages at United Club frequent delays Service is mixed. Seems like constant crisis at the gates. Avoid them. Latest trip was DCA to ORD. Flight was delayed.

(Hong Kong)

Flew from Hong Kong to San Fran and around the US in late May. I am not a fussy flyer at all and can usually go to sleep easily. I am also an Aussie meaning I am used to the 'service' Qantas provides. However after my experience with United I am going to go easy on Qantas. I'll start my review with - "wow". It actually takes more effort than less to be as terrible as United. From the no entertainment system on-board (standard I'm told on a 12 hour flight) terrible food (I live in Asia and I know what bad food is) multiple gate changes (5 in total in 1 hour) and 2 hour delay (no apology). Then there was the possibly the rudest individuals I've ever met posing as flight attendants. They were not only dismissive cold and patronising towards guests they actually made the whole flight a tense and uncomfortable environment. In summary I don't understand UA's play. They act like a‘low cost airline. Your people are your business.

United Airlines customer review

I recently completed 3 trips on United DEN-LGA and EWR-DEN with 5 out of 6 segments in First. Overall the product is decent for domestic first class. Crew on all 6 legs were generally very friendly and chatty with the passengers (all were DEN or SFO based). They worked the whole 4 hour flight and were constantly refilling glasses. Food was a little bland but was served well along with fresh baked cookies. Problem is inconsistency in on-board products with old CO aircraft having in seat TV and UA aircraft with old overhead monitors. Some aircraft's with WI-Fi and some without which makes it difficult to work. Of the 6 flights 3 were right on time with early arrivals and 3 were delayed 45 minutes mainly because of ATC issues in NYC area.

United Airlines customer review

I travel all the time for business and booked on United for cost reasons I was flying last-minute from LGA to MSP. I was scheduled to depart at 6pm from NY change planes in Chicago with an hour layover time and land in Minneapolis by 9.30pm. Departing flight was listed "on time". 5.45 boarding still had not begun - asked the gate attendant when we would be boarding since I had a connector. He informed me that they were about to delay the flight indefinitely. After advice from customer service that my original flight is unlikely to take off in time for me to make any connection in Chicago I am rebooked on a flight scheduled to depart an hour later - 7pm. However this means I will miss my O'Hare connection so that is also rebooked to a 10pm CDT flight. 7pm flight boards on time. Around the time of boarding the originally-scheduled 6pm flight also starts the boarding process. Chaos at the 7pm flight's gate as multiple irate businessmen who had changed out of their 6pm first- class seats for a time-saving economy seat on the 7pm scramble to articulate their outrage and get rebooked on the now-departing earlier flight. At 7.10pm the 7pm flight is finally loaded - and completely full. It's sweltering hot and ripe with body odor and very very dimly lit. 7.20pm: still hot still smelly still dark. Flight attendants are trying their best to be accommodating. The plane finally acquires a couple of pilots 45 minutes after scheduled departure. At this point I am getting nervous that I may miss my re-booked connector as well in which case I will either have to overnight in Chicago or drive the 6.5 hours to St. Paul. The plane touches down in Chicago only a little bit late despite the delay in take-off. Stopped on the runway in the middle of taxi - stops for at least 20 minutes. Flight attendant makes an attempt to ask passengers to remain seated so those with tight connectors can deplane first. His plea is denied immediately by the scores of tired and angry people who flood the corridor before the plane has even reached the gate. Fighting through 35 rows of people I manage to deplane with 10 minutes to spare before boarding call for the connection. Arrive sweaty and out of breath at the gate just as my phone brings up a text from United: flight is delayed until 10.30 because the plane hasn't arrived. The gate attendant changes the sign to read 10.45 instead. Once 1035 hits she updates it once more - to 10.51. In short she assures there is no possible way I will arrive before midnight (CDT). I will never be taking United again.

(Indonesia)

Flying EWR-NRT with Flight UA 79. Boeing 777. Punishing 14-hr flight in cramped seating condition. Everything about this plane is run down from seating to carpeting. Food is terrible and served in plastic tray covered with ripped aluminium foils. Breads are served out of bundles of plastic bags instead of bread baskets. What are we in jail? Ridiculous!

United Airlines customer review

Our trip from Quito Ecuador to Lincoln Nebraska was supposed to take 12 hours but included a four hour delay in Houston and a 9.5 hour delay in Denver. Weather was not the problem. United should have re-booked us when their mechanical failure and four hour delay was apparent in Houston. Ours was a 26 hour ordeal with many of those hours standing in line waiting for service and that was completely avoidable. What did they offer? A $7 food voucher.

United Airlines customer review

SFO-CDG-SFO. Over the past couple of years I have had the opportunity to travel internationally on both United and several foreign carriers. United's First Class or Business First Class service and amenities are no better than those in economy on the foreign carriers. Outbound we didn't get drinks prior to take off as the flight attendants were spending way too much time chatting with the other passengers. The meals were satisfactory though I am getting a bit bored with the ice cream sundae. The inflight entertainment worked well though it would have been nice to have different choices on the return flight. The only thing United's front cabin had going for it was more comfortable seats than in the back of the plane however even that comes with a "but". On the 767 the pods next to the window have very limited room for your feet when in the flat position. The aisle seats do seem to have more room. I travel weekly for work so I will continue to fly United but if I were a leisure traveler without frequent flyer status I would choose another airline. (United treats it leisure passengers very poorly - they board last often have no bin space and are generally treated shabbily.) United barely lives up to its three star rating.