United Airlines

"a very pleasant experience."

Trip Verified | Chicago to Delhi. This time our experience was excellent. UA changed the aircraft 4 times since we booked in March 2019 including twice in the two days leading up to departure. However the end result was we were moved up to the section for global service members which is the old first class section so we had plenty of room and the seat comfort was very good. Of course that is not all that goes into an evaluation. Including the service, IFE and the food we were thoroughly pleased. We were treated very well. The FA's worked tirelessly and were very attentive. In addition as thus was a Polaris class service we used the Polaris lounge in Chicago which is excellent so all in all this was a very pleasant experience.
RouteChicago to Delhi
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"the seats could also be more comfortable"

(Cyprus)

Trip Verified | Friedman to Austin via Denver with United Airlines. No meal, just light snacks, in first class. Even though it was a short haul a sandwich could have been served. Disappointing. And the seats could also be more comfortable. Plane was pretty old.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteFriedman to Austin via Denver
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"don't know what they're doing"

Trip Verified | Jacksonville to Denver. I arrive at the counter and instead of the employee behind the counter processing my check-in, I process my check-in. The whole thing. I'm the one paying, but I'm the one doing the work. This was even more-so on the way back at DEN. I'm on the aircraft sitting in my tiny first-class seat. The pilot comes over the intercom and announces that because it is snowing at the United hub in Denver,(who'd of guessed Denver would do that?), some of our bags would not be going with us on this flight. Apparently, the airplane United uses to fly non-stop from JAX to DEN, (Embraer something-something), cannot carry the baggage that United promised to carry when they advertised non-stop service from JAX to DEN when it is snowing in DEN. Where United has a hub. They sell tickets for non-stop service from JAX to DEN, but they can't carry the baggage. So, whose bags do you think they select for non-service on this flight? If you guessed first class passengers who bought their tickets with money, you guessed correctly! In thanks for buying the most expensive ticket on the plane, United rewards you with leaving your bag in Jacksonville! Who wouldn't want to fly United again after that? Then, during the flight from JAX to DEN (sans luggage), they serve what we shall call for lack of alternative terminology, "breakfast." It is, and I quote the first-class flight attendant as she described it to the passenger seated in front of me, "shelf-stable cheese product." I'm not sure, because, while first-class (did I mention this comedy takes place entirely in first-class?) flight attendant offered this shelf-stable cheese product breakfast to all of my first-class companion passengers, she never actually offered it, or anything else, to me. I was ignored throughout the flight. But I did get to listen to the gossip between the economy class flight attendant and the first-class flight attendant for about an hour and half of the flight, covering topics from dating experiences to career aspirations or lack thereof. So, I land in Denver, intending to head into the mountains, without the contents of the suitcase I assumed (first-class ticket, non-stop flight to the airline's hub airport) would have arrived with me on my flight. Examples of missing items: boots, crampons, poles, ski jacket, underwear, so on and so forth. The check-in at Denver for the flight back was even worse, but the fight itself much better. No complaints with the DEN to JAX crew on the plane. But the JAX to DEN crew were depressingly lame. When I was younger, I used to travel on Greyhound and Trailways bus lines. I do not exaggerate to state that I have had better experiences there than in United first class (at least they never left my bag behind). The management don't know what they're doing. It's a disaster.
AircraftEmbraer
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteJacksonville to Denver
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Please address this issue"

Trip Verified | Manila to Guam via Honolulu. I was always happy and satisfied whenever I fly with United but my last trip was a disappointment. This is not actually a review but a suggestion to modify their system regarding infants flying outbound less than 2 years old but already 2 years old when flying inbound. This is to avoid confusion, discussion, disappointment. I booked our flight (1 adult and infant on lap) on Sept 11, 2019 flying out Dec. 24, 2019 and flying in Feb. 12, 2020. United.com system asked to put in the birthdates of the passengers so therefore from there on the system should have prompted me to buy a seat for my infant child since she will be 2 years when flying inbound but sad to say it didn't, so therefore, on the day of our flight (inbound) I ended arguing, discussing, unhappy because I had to buy on the spot a seat for my infant baby who just turned 2 years old 5 days ago. My point is what if I dont have cash or credit card with me? If only the system prompted me that I need to buy a seat for my baby since she will be 2 years old coming back I would have bought her round trip seat. Please address this issue to avoid passengers like me to experience this.
RouteManila to Guam via Honolulu
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"time to choose a new carrier"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Redding. I made it to the gate in time to catch the 4:30 pm flight to Redding, however they closed the door early and wouldn't let me board, even though passengers were still waiting to board the plane in the jet bridge. The plane left the gate 40 minutes after I arrived. The United rep was more interested in her phone and getting out of there than helping. Now the later flight is 2 hrs late. United decided to tell everyone that the new gate is E2 not F15. Once I got to E2 they changed it back to F15? I have been a loyal customer of United for 25+ years. They have never offered me anything for their screw ups. It might be time to choose a new carrier.
AircraftCRJ200
RouteSan Francisco to Redding
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"gives privilege to some people"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | Rome to Newark. United Airlines lost my baggage on 27th December. It has been 2 months and they are not taking any action! They also lost my Canadian friend’s baggage and they make the payment right away. Do I have to be American or Canadian to be considered? Is this company gives privilege to some people when they lost their baggage?
RouteRome to Newark
Date FlownDecember 2019

"wait 40 mins for co pilot to show up"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to San Diego. My flight was scheduled for a 4.10 pm departure. We are now leaving the gate at 8.57 pm. First there were delays in getting the plane here then we had to wait another 40 mins for the co pilot to show up! Food options are like a third world dollar tree. Flight crew looks as if they don’t want to be here. Only way I’m back on this airline is if it’s a screaming deal and I have flexibility in my actual arrival times. Still haven’t left the ground at 908 pm. 5 hours late.
RouteSan Francisco to San Diego
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Time to say goodbye to United"

Trip Verified | Charlotte to Sau Paolo via Houston. Airline food is usually not known to be good, but food on this flight was one of the worst menu - blend, not properly warmed, tasted horrible. United really needs to get feedback from passenger on each flight segment. Horrible service level. Except for one young flight attendant, rest of the flight attendants were there as a favor to passengers. Except for serving food once and service breakfast once, they did not cater to any passenger needs. I needed help twice - once water to take medicine, and then to get breakfast which I missed as I was sleeping when they distributed. In both cases, I waited and waited but no one bothered to respond. I could not get up as I was in window seat. This is my third time flying with United in last two years - same experience each time. Time to say goodbye to United. I will stick with my Delta! Rating below 3/10 - as their entertainment choices were good and seats were not bad (good leg room)
RouteCharlotte to Sau Paolo via Houston
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"like to say a big thank you"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to San José via Houston. I would like to say a big thank you to Sanjay for rebooking my flight. Yesterday I went to the airport without an ESTA because I didnt knew I needed one. They rebooked my flight but I didnt notice that there was a day between my two flights. Sanjay rebooked my flight so I could fly to Costa Rica the same day. I even got 10 dollar for some food while I was waiting
RouteAmsterdam to San José via Houston
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"this service is unacceptable"

Trip Verified | First error was on our return flight .. it was changed so we miss our flight home and spend the night in the airport. fore that they changed my flight so I missed my connection and completely dropped my wife's flight. Now today: Our flight was cancelled (Boise to Houston). The whole plane was boarded and one little LED courtesy light was out and they de-board the whole plane ... even the maintenance guy and flight attendant tried explaining it is just a courtesy light and not a cell/emergency light. Ticketing agent told everyone to call 1-800-united1 to reschedule and they said they couldn't help and only the tickeing counter could .. 4 other people had the same issue when calling United. Now I am spending until 6pm tonight in the Boise airport. Spending the night in LA and early in Houston ... then Belize tomorrow. Now, sorry to ramble on, but the original issue was with our return flight being messed up, now my issue is the entire trip being cancelled and delayed. The customer service at 1800-united was appaling! The ticketing agents were nice. Now, the 2 x $50 vouchers for my wife and I are not going to make up for this! Unless there is other compensation or something I am cancelling my United card (been a member for over 15 years)! I will have to switch to Delta and other air cards. Sorry it has come to this, but this service is unacceptable and I like to think i am a very patient and understanding guy.
RouteBoise to Houston