United Airlines

"Try to avoid if you can"

Not Verified | Customer service is subpar and it takes several calls to accomplish one thing. They quick to hang up even if you are not finished and their website rarely downloads. Plus don't make any plans until you reach your scheduled flight date as they always make changes to your flight times. It's at their convenience, not yours. Try to avoid if you can.
Date FlownMay 2021

"Absolutely the worst experience"

Not Verified | Absolutely the worst experience. Flight from Anchorage to Denver was delayed over 2 hours due to a "monitor light being on" or at least that was the explanation given. Once the issue was cleared, we still sat with no movement for close to 30 minutes. Most of the passengers had connecting flights that were "rescheduled" however it was physically impossible to make the rescheduled flights as they were departing mere minutes after this plane landed. Thus, over an 8 hour wait at the Denver Airport for next connecting flight to Florida. The app is not helpful and updates are given at the last moment, if at all. Not flying United again and would not recommend to anyone who values their time.
RouteAnchorage to Tampa
Date FlownMay 2021

"communication would have gone a long way"

Trip Verified | My first flight out of Vegas was delayed on the tarmac for 45 minutes - which was problematic because I had a 55 minute connection in Denver. In fact, the flight attendant later announced that 146 of the 179 passengers on the plane had connections. I was very worried about missing my connecting flight, and so was everyone around me. Despite this, no announcements were made about connections on the plane, no updates came through the app, and the flight was just miserable due to everybody being anxious about being stranded overnight in Denver. As it happened, United delayed my plane just long enough for me to make the connection and avoid being stranded in Denver overnight, and when I checked the flight status later they did the same for everyone who was sitting near me, so I assume that almost everyone made their connecting flight. That was a really nice thing that United did. But I wish that they had made an announcement on the inbound flight that they were going to do that - it would have alleviated so much of the anxiety that everybody was suffering and made the flight much more bearable. A little communication would have gone a long way.
RouteLas Vegas to Richmond via Denver
Date FlownMay 2021

"United had my back today helped greatly"

Trip Verified | I must say that before even getting to airport was hell. I allowed myself 4 hours to drive a 2 hour route and 2 hours to get through security. But traffic had another idea and it ended up being over 5 hours of driving to get the airport. I got to the airport at 3:08 to catch a 4 o'clock flight. By the time I dropped off car rental and got to the United counter it was 3:25. The representative at the counter got this tired, upset, crying Meme checked in luggage done and on my way. After getting through security at 3:42 and making it to my gate at 3:47, doors still open though they were supposed to close at 3:45, I got on the plane with my 14 month old grandbaby and the flight attendant offered us a row all to ourself. In flight and about a hour from landing my grandbaby decided to get sick and the attendants went above and beyond to help me. What could of been and absolute disaster from the start before getting to the airport turned out to be a great feeling and knowing United had my back today helped greatly. and the
RouteWashington to Houston

"Very much disappointed"

Trip Verified | Very much disappointed, United Airlines Ground staff knows very well how to exploit customers and take advantage of a customers hard time. Staff handling the customer desk were too rude and totally unprofessional, quite not sure how United Airlines hires these ground staff who don’t have the basic etiquette to handle clients and ultimately brings in bad reviews and customer dissatisfaction for them. It was an early morning flight, myself and along with my family (spouse and 2 kids) got a flight at 7am from Atlanta to Newark. Reached airport around 3.45am EST to have enough buffer and for easy boarding. Approached United Airlines counter to get luggage checked in after entering all passport details, Customer desk lady started weighing the luggage and without any sense asked me to pay $1200 for extra luggage charge for hardly 1 lb extra on a few of my luggage. Not willing to listen to anything and when asked to allow sometime to adjust the luggage she literally gave an odd look and replied very rudely to move out from the queue. The customer rep should have some basic etiquette and consideration for the travellers who are with family especially with (3 year old kids). I moved out from the queue along with my family and made some adjustments on my luggage (by throwing a few on my items) to make it exactly 50 lb from 51 lbs and again queued up for check-in. This time also she was so rude as in I took her money back. Despite adjusting the luggage she charged me $400 extra and wasted 2 hours only in check-in queue. Now with only 1 hour left for flight to take off and security check yet to be completed, I was on the verge of missing my international flight but somehow managed to clear security check.
AircraftE70
RouteAtlanta to Newark
Date FlownApril 2021

"Very unhappy with United"

Trip Verified | The last few times I’ve flown with United I have had bad experiences. On my most recent flight our trip to Nassau was delayed more than 4 hours, cause my daughter and I to miss an entire day of our vacation. United likes to board passengers without knowing if the plane is fit to fly. We sat on the plane for one hour before being told to deplane. We were then told each hour that our trip would be delayed another 30mins, until it reached a 4 hour delay. Very unhappy with United and would not suggest that anyone fly with them, if they can avoid it.
RouteNewark to Nassau
Date FlownMay 2021

"They lie to mislead the customers"

Trip Verified | After our flight was delayed 2x in Cabo San Lucas on our way home to Milwaukee which resulted in my husband & I missing our connecting flight in Chicago we were advised by a United Airlines Agent that there were no more flights out that evening to Milwaukee and they could put us up in a hotel, give us food vouchers, and get us on a flight in the morning, or to catch the Coach Bus in which they would reimburse us for. We opted to catch the Coach Bus which actually worked out really nice getting us home only an hour & a half later that the regular schedule. I went on line and applied for the $31/per person bus credit and this was the response from United: Hello Linda, I'm sorry that your trip didn't go as planned and regret your flight was delayed due to Air Traffic Control delays. Your time is valuable, and we always work to make sure your trip goes smoothly. I regret that the weather caused us to fall short in this instance. We understand the added travel time and expenses and regret any inconvenience it may create for our passengers. Our airport co-workers are expected to do all possible to minimize the inconvenience. We do not cover added expenses in situations that are beyond our control. As this flight interruption was due to Air Traffic Control, we are unable to cover your added expenses. Your understanding is appreciated. If you purchased Trip Insurance, please let me know and I can provide you with a Flight Verification Letter to provide them. My Response back: I was told by a United Airlines Agent that there were no more flights out that evening to Milwaukee and that we'd have to wait until the next morning. Our options were to get a hotel room and food vouchers competed by United and catch a flight the next day or take a bus competed by United. So what part of this am I not understanding? I would have to guess that a $31 per person to catch a bus back to Milwaukee would be cheaper then competing us a hotel room, shuttle, food vouchers and another flight back to Milwaukee. The airlines should be responsible for air traffic control / bad weather conditions resulting in their customers missing their next flight due to their original flight being delayed not once, but twice. Take responsibility already United .. geez! Again please credit me the full amount of the 1-way bus ticket for 2 people from Chicago to Milwaukee. My next step will be to contact a supervisor/manager at United. This is ridiculous. United Response Back to Me: I thoroughly understand your point of view and again wish to express our true regret. I can appreciate your request to escalate your concern and I understand that you did not consider United's first response satisfactory. I am afraid we can only reiterate and convey our policies which we will continue to support. While this is not the answer you were hoping for, your understanding is appreciated. They lie to mislead the customers. Everyone you talk to has something different to tell you & you spend hours on the phone trying to talk with something. Neverwill I fly United again. Shame - Shame on them! I'd give them a Zero at Customer Service if I could.
RouteCabo to Chicago via Milwaukee
Date FlownApril 2021

"United Airlines customer service is a complete atrocity"

Trip Verified | United Airlines customer service is a complete atrocity. I contacted them on 4 separate occasion's asking about my flight from Miami to Chicago. Each customer service representative told me I will be refused to board the plane unless I had a negative Covid test result within 72 hours of my landing in Chicago. So you can imagine as much stress as I had I made sure that I got the test done but since I don't have covid symptoms I had to pay out of pocket a hefty price of $199. Upon arrival in the airport no one asked me for my results in everyone acted completely clueless. I was exceptionally upset contacted United Airlines customer support because it was them not anybody else that told me I had to have these results so that I would be able to board the plane. At first they wanted to blame it on Expedia then I clearly said it might email complaint it was their customer service I contacted directly with 4 separate representatives including a chat representative who told me was required in order for me to board the plane. Long story short I was told it's not their problem, I was misinformed and I was just going to have to eat the $199 I spent. I am writing this so you guys don't waste your time thinking that you have to have the test on before you get on the plane because their customer service don't take ownership of anything they tell you. I recommend that you record every call that you ever make with this airline and probably any airliner any customer service to protect yourself against all these lying self centred money hungry no accountability companies.
RouteMiami to Chicago
Date FlownMarch 2021

"I was left leaving my bags"

Not Verified | I arrived at the airport in Greenville at 705 for a flight at 8am. Because of a line I waiting for a kiosk to open up for about 15 minutes. One kiosk was broken and the other 3 were being used. at 720 I attempted to check my bag and was denied from being able to due to the 45 minute window. A worker behind the counter immediately told me i couldn’t check my bag, or my car seat that I had from my two year old who was traveling with me and that he could put me on a 5pm flight. I told him the only reason I didn’t make the 45 minute window was because the line in front of me and he replied “that’s not my problem”. I was left leaving my bags and having to ship my daughters car seat. My mom stayed asking to speak with a manager and waited an hour and 25 minutes before someone came who then told her they would have let me check my bags if they’d known I was going home to my son who is sick. I typically fly delta with my family of 5 and have never experienced anything like this. They basically told me if I would have given them a pitty party they would have considered letting me check my bag. And the worst part is when I got to security they old me they would have let me bring my car seat through the gate.
RouteGreenville to Washington

"Horrendous customer service"

Trip Verified | I booked with Lufthansa, but due to covid I was forced to fly United. Horrendous customer service, they treat you like a second class citizen. I lugged my bag all the way to the gate only to be told I would have to check it in, front desk told me it was ok to have one backpack, one laptop carrier and one carry on. The gate they said I'd have to pay, avoid this airline if possible. I would give this flight zero stars if possible.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Dulles