United Airlines

"cannot fulfil the terms"

Trip Verified | Washington to Auckland via San Francisco. WOW! In the age of COVID-19, everyone in New Zealand has been amazingly helpful about refunding booked hotels, cars, tours, excursions, internal NZ flights (Air New Zealand), except United Airlines. United canceled some of the flights in my itinerary, and instead of offering me alternative flights (because there are none), United is charging me a fee to redeposit my miles for an itinerary they cannot fulfil. If I try to return an unopened defective product to a store, does the store charge me a restocking fee because they cannot fulfil the terms of their contracted item:?!
RouteWashington to Auckland via San Francisco
Date FlownMarch 2020

"helpful, pleasant, and nice"

Not Verified | Chicago to Seattle. United workers were most helpful in finding a flight during this virus repatriation! Booking, rebooking, airplane personnel were all helpful, pleasant, and nice!
RouteChicago to Seattle
Date FlownMarch 2020

"Staff were very accommodating"

Not Verified | I took 7 flights during a 2 week period in March 2020, within the US and between the US and Canada. Staff were very accommodating despite working during such a stressful time. I had a feeling that "we were all in this together". I realized that while making several flight changes I paid twice/double for upgrades from economy to premium economy. I emailed United via their customer service site, explained the situation, and received refunds within 48 hours.
RouteSun Valley to Toronto

"an upsetting experience"

Not Verified | Frankfurt to Newark. The flight is not possible due to Corona travel restrictions. Instead of refunding the tickets United is offering flight credits with ridiculous restrictions. This is completely unacceptable. Moving the flight is currently impossible with the uncertainty of the Coronavirus outbreak, United flight credit restricted to use in the next 12 months is equally useless. Terrible customer service, lacklustre communication. All around an upsetting experience.
RouteFrankfurt to Newark
Date FlownMarch 2020

"United is not refunding money"

Not Verified | Newark to London. Despite being a frequent international corporate traveler and incurring conference and event cancellation, United is not refunding money for flights. They are holding onto it and compelling customers to accept a credit for future travel, at which point their fare will be inconsistent with the previous flight fares prior to COVID 19. They will definitely hike rates to recuperate any losses incurred. It is egregious they hold onto the revenue from flights no one was able to take and stand to earn more by charging the difference on top of the credit for future flights.
RouteNewark to London
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"refusing to return money"

Not Verified | Vancouver to San Jose via Houston. Every country's government is saying do not travel. We are being told that we should not be leaving our homes. Yet, United Airlines is refusing to return money to their customers. Who does this? My circumstance will not allow me to travel again with my family until, at the very earliest, March 2021. Yet my 'travel credit' will expire in February of 2021. I was told I will lose my $3500 that I paid for flights. The entire world is being told to stay home, and you people are still encouraging people to go out and ignore the recommendations for governments and health authorities.
RouteVancouver to San Jose via Houston
Date FlownMarch 2020

"I will never fly United again"

Not Verified | Boston to Tri-Cities. Worst customer service in the world. Had to change flights due to corona and the website didn't let me use my future flight credit. The website kept flipping between the old site and the new site which made it extremely frustrating to use. I finally had to call and after a 2 hour and 10 min wait time, I was connected with a representative, we exchanged pleasantries and then she promptly said "please call back later" and hung up. 2 hours and 10 minutes on hold just to be hung up on! I finally called back later and after a 45 minute wait I was connected with a snake. I was looking at a flight that cost $200 per ticket and they were telling me that the cheapest flight available was $375! I will never fly United again. Southwest and Alaska Air are 10 times better customer service. The flight change for Alaska was a piece of cake and took less than 15 mins to cancel and re-book with a voucher directly to my email that was available for use instantly. United took 3 hours on hold, 2 phone calls, and 4 days for the voucher to be half-way usable. Couldn't use it to cover seat purchases either!
RouteBoston to Tri-Cities
Date FlownMarch 2020

"They are keeping the money"

Not Verified | Washington dc to Punta cana. Stop flying this airline. I bought tickets 6 months ago to fly in March 2020. Now with all this virus going around i had to reschedule for July 2020. The new tickets are $400 cheaper but United refuses to give me a $400 credit back to use for future travel. They are keeping the money. Southwest airlines gives you credit for a future flight.
RouteWashington dc to Punta cana
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"professional and helpful"

Not Verified | I just want to comment on the staff working with luggage. I was supposed to grab my bag from customs and re-check it when I arrived in Chicago from Vienna, Austria, before getting on my second flight to DFW. I was unaware of this, however, and did not re-check my bag. The United staff was very helpful regardless of my mistake. They took my information and delivered my bag to my home within less than 24 hours! They were professional and helpful and I was very impressed!
RouteChicago to Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownMarch 2020

"taking advantage of the situation"

Trip Verified | On December 21st, I booked with United Airlines to fly from Montreal to Hong Kong via San Francisco. My flight was schedule to leave on January 21st and come back on March 2nd. The days before my departure, the virus outbreak was getting worse in China with infected cases increasing drastically every day. Before leaving, I called United the same morning as my flight on January 21st to make a last minute trip change and make San Francisco my final destination instead (no refund asked). Besides being terribly slow on the phone, the personnel was also highly unhelpful. Not only weren't they caring about sending people in a growing epidemic, but even more, they charged me an additional 300$ to make this last minute change... for tickets I already in hands! So a roundtrip Montreal-San Francisco that could cost 450$ ended up costing me 1000$ + 300$ only to cancel my tickets to China and back. Not only are they being conning people and taking advantage of the situation to make profits, but they are also irresponsible being aware of a new crisis and not willing to help.
RouteMontreal to Hong Kong via San Francisco