United Airlines

"service is unreliable"

Not Verified | This is the second international flight in two months that has been canceled due to mechanical issues. I was redirected both times through connecting airports- all to no avail. Upon arrival, each of those flights suffered mechanical issues and flights were very very delayed, This is not the way to run a business - service is unreliable and I cannot take this airline anymore.
RouteMunich to Newark
Date FlownOctober 2019

"be the last resort to fly"

Trip Verified | Portland to Denver. We were traveling as a family to Denver from a funeral. As our tickets said “see agent” we went to go see our assigned seats also seeing if we can see if we can get some of our family put together. There is 7 of us as again it was for a funeral. As we tried to voice our frustrations to having to pay extra to sit together as a family, the lady working the E1 gate at 6pm on October 14th wasn’t the friendliest as we tried to voice our frustration. Not trying to be aggressive. As we walk away she says “I shouldn’t of even tried to get them together” again super disappointed on how this situation was handled. United will be the last resort to fly as they aren’t very accommodating unless you push. Sad that flying in the last several years has resulted to this.
RoutePortland to Denver

"A horrible experience"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Newark. Due to aircraft change, my friend and I were downgraded from 1st class to Economy on this leg of our Business class flight from Australia code sharing with Air New Zealand. We were appalled when given a voucher by way of compensation with so many restrictions attached as to be practically useless to Australian citizens. Beware of using any airline offering a codeshare flight on United Airlines. The substituted aircraft was dirty, smelly and delapidated with a torch hanging from the ceiling in the toilet for illumination. The battery gave out 2 hours into the flight so customers had to use their mobile phones to see and the state of the toilet attested to the fact that this method was inadequate in the extreme. A horrible experience made worse by the inadequate (if not illegal) compensation.
RouteSan Francisco to Newark
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"won’t fly United again unless it’s a last resort"

Not Verified | I’m very disappointed with the Basic Economy fare offering. I had the Basic Economy flight from LGA to Houston and then, connected to Austin. This class of service means you can’t check in online ahead, however when you arrive at the gate, you have unfriendly staff trying to get you to pay for your hand luggage continuously until you board the plane. My seat assignment was the last row against the toilet so no reclining. United basic economy awful and I hope the other airlines don’t follow this “class” of a bad idea! The customer service for this class of fares makes the airline undesirable. I won’t fly United again unless it’s a last resort.
RouteNew York to Austin

"The plane was unkempt"

Not Verified | New York to Denver. I travel cross country at least twice per month with Southwest or JetBlue. I tried United Airlines on the last trip. Never again. The plane was unkempt, the Internet was spotty at best. No other form of entertainment. Older plane. Extra charge for luggage. Change fee was exorbitant. So many better choices.
RouteNew York to Denver
Date FlownOctober 2019

"delays due to cleaning purposes"

Not Verified | I flew from Amsterdam to San Francisco on 23rd September. There was delay of 1,5 hours due to cleaning purposes. When Flying back to Amsterdam there was also a delay of 2 hours due to cleaning purposes. Is this just common policy, or is United Airlines (UA) inaccurately informing its customers? Seems like UA needs to improve its logistics .. on board though everything was splendid.
RouteSan Francisco to Amsterdam
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Boeing 787 cabin felt quieter"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Mumbai via Newark. United's Boeing 787-10 is the best aircraft I have flown on a domestic route within US. My connecting flight from Newark to Mumbai was on a B777-300ER and it felt like a downgrade from B787-10. The three main differences that I experienced were: B777-300ER had a dense 3-4-3 seating configuration with seats that felt uncomfortably narrow. Boeing 787-10 had a more responsive IFE than B777-300ER. Boeing 787 cabin felt quieter than B777-300ER. The food and service from Newark to Mumbai were outstanding, but it was quite the opposite on the return flight from Mumbai. The midflight snack was a bun with aaloo tikki inside. This would have been a delicious snack, but United served it cold instead of warming it up! Accompanying the sandwich was Parle-G biscuits. United's midflight offerings were a stark contrast to what's offered on other airlines like Emirates, Swiss, & Virgin Atlantic. On a positive note, I was impressed by United's baggage handling in Newark. Not only did United transfer my bags in a tight schedule, but I was able to track my bags on the United app.
AircraftBoeing 787-10 / 777-300ER
RouteLos Angeles to Mumbai via Newark

"Terrible communication"

Trip Verified | Tulsa to Denver. Terrible communication, for five hours we had no idea if our flight was even going to take off because they told us every two hours it would be two more hours. Terrible communication and worst airline.
RouteTulsa to Denver
Date FlownOctober 2019

"no wheel chairs waiting for us"

Trip Verified | Puerto Vallarta to Houston. I am fully disabled, my wife has very bad knees. We requested wheel chairs as we can not walk far. When in Puerto Vallarta they had wheel chairs ready for us at front entrance into airport. When we landed in Houston there no wheel chairs waiting for us or any other Handicap people on plain. There were about 30 of us from our plain and others that were herded like cattle about 150 yds to a large elevator that is used for equipment. It took us down to the basement were we were left trying fine seats to sit in as there was enough. Me and my wife had to stand for 10 minutes before I found an abandoned cart for to sit on. They were coming every 15 min and take a few people away but they would not tell us what was going on. I asked one of the united people they just said they would get to us. In the mean time I am watching of these people who had wheel play games with each other for over 20 min. And never attempting to help the people needing wheel chair assistance. I decided me and my wife would go back up stairs for help as the seats were very uncomfortable. When we got up stairs and looking to find our way we talked to different airline staff for help with wheel chairs. Both times we waited for 15 mins. No one showed up. We then stopped and talked a man driving a cart who could barely speak English he said he could not help. We ended going through security waiting in line with everyone else and watching people in wheel chairs from other airlines being helped. we ended walking all the way to the train from concourse E. When we got of train at concourse B I seen 2 young men from united with 2 empty wheel chairs. I stopped them told them what was going on. They had people to help but they called and got permission to help to our concourse. The only way we can change the problems in big business is to have large group stop using them. When it starts hurting your pocket book United maybe you will show a little compassion.
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Houston
Date FlownOctober 2019

"repeatedly forces me to check my carry on bag"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Tampa. United repeatedly forces me to check my carry on bag even though I paid for Economy instead of Basic Economy. They claim that all overhead bins are completely full, yet when I board the plane there is tons of empty space in the overheads. There is clearly no communication between the gate agents who arbitrarily decide when to force people to check bags and the actual space left on the plane. Additionally, there would never even be a problem with overhead space if the flight attendants actually monitored people who put small backpacks in the overhead space instead of under their seat. I specifically do not check a bag because I don’t want to deal with the at least 30 extra minutes to retrieve my luggage from baggage claim. This is a repeated problem and is extremely frustrating to have to wait at baggage claim after a long day of traveling in the cramped United seats.
RouteSan Francisco to Tampa