United Airlines

"I’d have expected it in the 80s"

Trip Verified | Unbelievable. Again they’re collecting your carry on items before boarding the plane which makes no sense as then they could simply say no carry on items allowed and then at least people can plan accordingly. The airplane was ridiculous in size, age, comfort. I have never seen anything like this! It’s 2024 and that was a flight like I’d have expected it in the 80s. If even. I was close to not even getting on this aircraft.
RouteJackson to Houston
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"Such terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | The Flight from PIT to ORD pushed back from the gate, but then the pilot said there was an issue with the brakes. So we went back to the gate and sat there for 90 minutes. The plane was in PIT all night long – why wasn’t someone checking out the plane and making it sure it was ready to go first thing in the morning. They let us get off the plane in PIT, and we tried to book another route to HNL that day (via NWK), but then United customer service told us to get back on the plane, because we could still get to ORD and make our connection. But there were more delays once we got back on the plane. It finally took off 2 hours late, and there was some small hope that we could make the connection in ORD. But then there were air traffic delays in ORD (which United should have seen ahead of time!) 3. When we finally landed in ORD we ran to the nearby gate for the connection to HNL only to learn that the flight had departed ten minutes previously. There were 20 passengers making the connection from the PIT flight to the HNL flight. United could have easily held the flight for another 15 minutes (the flight was scheduled to land EARLY in HNL as it was!) to allow all of us passengers to make the connection. Your failure to do this demonstrates your complete lack of care regarding your customers. Your customer service options totally suck. We tried to use the kiosks in ORD to rebook a flight, but they were not working. No one answered your customer service phone line. The line at the customer service desk was over 50 people long. I tried to use a Day pass to enter a United Club near the gate, but they were not accepting Day Passes. We walked to another United Club and I used a Day pass to enter and get help from the customer service agents there. While the agent was helping, she was providing options, and I needed to discuss them with my wife who was waiting outside. I went to get her so she could help make a decision re rescheduling our route to HNL, but the women at the front of the United Club would not let her in without a day pass – even though we did not want to use the facilities, did not want to stay, and only wanted to get our flights rescheduled. I demanded to speak with the manager who took his time coming to speak with me, and then he was a corporate tool and would not let my wife in for 5 minutes to help with this rerouting, either. Such terrible customer service, for what was already a bad experience, was completely absurd and unacceptable. We got rebooked on a flight to SFO and then on the HNL, but when we went to the gate for the flight to SFO, it was delayed by 3 hours! So we would miss the connection to HNL! (that flight was eventually delayed by 6 hours total. Can United not keep your planes in working order?! Seriously?!) So, we got rebooked again on the flight to HNL the next day – missing an entire day of our vacation in Hawaii. Thanks a lot United! The agents that rebooked us for the next day arranged a hotel voucher at a not very impressive hotel in a sketchy part of Chicago, and gave us some food vouchers. But they did not tell us that the food vouchers were only valid inside the airport. Even though the vouchers say they work like any prepaid credit card, they do not! They only work at airport locations. This is not helpful when we are going to a hotel at noon and need to wait until the next day at 10 AM to fly out.
RoutePittsburgh to Honolulu via Chicago
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"What an embarrassing airline"

Not Verified | What an embarrassing airline. Polaris Club (their elite lounge) is like a terrible buffet. First/business class seats do not have any video monitors and they do not even provide headphones. I would never, voluntarily pick this airline.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteChicago to San Francisco

"4 out of 4 delays"

Trip Verified | 4 out of 4 delays. Every time I have layover there is a delay. It’s actually kind of sad the planning of their flights never fails to cause a longer travel time. I would rather spend twice the money and fly with no stops, than every single flight that offers layover delaying hours past the actual time they provide. Or they could just put accurate departure times. I won’t fly United unless the ticket is basically free.
RouteDetroit to San Antonio via Detroit
Date FlownJanuary 2024

“second time United has split our family up”

Not Verified | We booked our flight many months ago, as a family of four with two small children. United didn’t give my husband a seat number, and when I called they told me he would have to get it at the gate. At the gate they gave a boarding pass and sat him in the front row even though we were are the very back of the plane. This is the second time in the past year United has split our family up and not notified us until we are at the gate. And if we wanted my husband to sit with us? $104 up charge for ONE seat change. Additionally, we had two extra small carry on kid suitcases which they made us pay $35 each to check because our ticket selection was the most basic. We took American Airlines on our way there for the same trip and it was lovely. They made an effort to sit our family together without any up charge and had a normal carry on/personal item allowance.
RouteOrlando to O’Hare
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"have a slight preference for Delta"

Trip Verified | First class on this first short 1-hour domestic flight. I’ve flown a few similar flights with United. Crew is professional. They served drinks before takeoff which is nice. Seats were comfortable, plane was well maintained. They’ve removed all in flight entertainment screens which is appealing. I’d like to use my phone for things other than watching a movie. They only served biscuits and chips which is sad. Paul on my ORD - FSD flight (8 pm) was wonderful. I’d still fly United First but I have a slight preference for Delta because of the IFE part.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteChicago to Sioux falls
Date FlownFebruary 2024

“do not check your bags”

Not Verified | Anyone reading this, if you’re flying United do not check your bags. Take it on board with you and worst case they will tag it on the jet bridge. Another trip, another opportunity for them to not have my luggage when I arrived at my final destination. Also bring some type of ear buds! I had a guy next to me snoring for three hours and the guy behind him also snoring for over 2. I said something to the flight and he said there was nothing he could do. First class means nothing with issues like this. I paid more and was subjected to this. My luggage was found and brought to me the next afternoon after checking into my hotel the previous evening. Thanks United for doing anything you could to make my trip to Vegas one I wish I could forget. I also sent in feedback to them complaining about everything. Three days now and no response. Sadly, I’m not surprised or maybe they’re extremely busy responding to others who experienced the same on other flights.
RouteLexington KY to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"worst airline I have ever flown"

Trip Verified | The worst airline I have ever flown. Frozen food on the flight. I flew in a bulkhead seat and there was not enough leg room. Seat doesn’t go back far enough. Slep t 2 Hours in the flight.
RouteMelbourne to Las Vegas via Los Angeles

"Horrible customer service"

Not Verified | Horrible customer service and policies. Bag fees charged after the receipt shows ticket bags are free. Waste of time trying to fix the issue, as it will take more of your leisure time talking to nice but grossly incompetent agents. Best to not travel with this airline.
RouteChicago to Tampa
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"no apology, no compensation"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | It started on January 3rd at 10:10AM with the first flight from Brussels to Chicago with UA 973. Half an hour into the flight there was a medical emergency and we had to return to the gate. It happens and needs to be done. After an inspection for the overweight landing, we were good to go with just 3 hours delay, not a problem. And then, the flight attendants didn't want to fly, too many hours they claim? Flight Cancelled. Everybody back to the gate area where they United staff made the statement that there will be no re-booking due to the large number of passengers, everybody on hotel and with the same plane the next day, at 1PM (27 hours delay) we later heard. Next day, ready to go, boarding time passes and a shouting match starts between several United staff members, even the police had to intervene. Then, 1 hour later, hello everyone, we cancel this flight too. That is where panic starts, my business trip turned into a nightmare. Since it was past 2PM, all US flights had of course departed. Rush to the counter, proposal BRU-to London- Washington- Chicago and finally Desmoines with the statement "check in Washington for faster connection". Arrival January 5th 11AM, 37 hours delay! So, flight to London, no boarding passes yet for the next flight, rush to a United counter, got the passes and they said run, the flight is closing the doors. During the 15-minute sprint I noticed that a was downgraded from Premium Eco to ECO. At the gate I explained the situation with my original tickets, they say that they can't find my reservation? "Get on the plane now or stay behind" with free seats available. In Washington, United counter, "What are you doing here, you should be in Chicago" explained the situation, well, it ended with "Why did i fly from Chicago to Washington". Gave up, stressed without believe and major back pain, yes that is why i need a minimum of premium ECO. Next stop Chicago at close to midnight, dead tired. At yet another United counter full explanation, i was told, "there is the gate, departure in 9hours". In a closed airport, needless to say i demanded a hotel to sleep and shower. Thankfully I got at least that. For the rest no apology, no compensation, nothing from United Airlines.
RouteBrussels to Des Moines via Chicago