United Airlines

"choose any other airline"

(Puerto Rico)

Trip Verified | United Airlines policy for a flight cancellation or change should be considered usury. I paid for something called ‘flight protection’ which should have protected me in case I needed a cancellation or change. But instead of a refund you get airline credit. Credit you can only use if you spend an additional $200.00. I feel like I’ve been taken advantage of and robbed but have no other choice since I need to make my trip and can’t lose the money I’ve already spent. If you’re flying, choose any other airline, even if you must make stops and can’t fly direct, it’s still better than to fly with United, who will take advantage of you if they have the chance!
RouteSan Juan to Houston
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"carry on classed as excess bag"

Trip Verified | I never have a bad word to say. However for the first time in my life i am going to write a negative review on United Airlines. Firstly I accept responsibility in booking economy ticket and not understanding that I could not take a carry on bag. I was relocating to Florida so i had all my belongings with me. I found out i could not have a carry on and then found out the cost of my carry on would be classed as an excess bag so i would be charged 150 dollars for the smallest bag that i could have put under the seat of my chair on the plane. The supervisor wouldn't help me i asked could i upgrade my ticket so i would be aloud a carry on. One kind lady said she could help me because everyone could tell how ridiculous it was to pay 150 for a tiny carry on. In the end i almost missed my flight while was waiting for the one agent to refund the 150 dollars. I was in tears at this point and none of the agents cared that i was about to miss my flight. Eventually made the flight Took the bag on the plane as a carry on and checked my bank today to find they took the 150 dollars. They put me thru misery and were so rude to me and then i thought well at least they done a nice thing and refunded me the 150 dollars and then i check today and they had put the charge thru afterwards.
RouteBoston to West Palm Beach via Newark
Date FlownOctober 2018

"sitting at the gate for an hour"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Fort Lauderdale. Horrible - every time I fly this airline it takes forever to board, or there’s a issue with the plane resulting sitting at the gate for an hour. I had a business meeting with important clients and I thought I’d give United another chance. Word to the wise if you need to be on time somewhere, use Southwest; fast boarding, and fast take off. If you like waiting on the tarmac, use United.
RouteChicago to Fort Lauderdale

"every time I regret it"

Trip Verified | This is by far the worst airline in the US. I have flown on it multiple times and every time I regret it. The seats are uncomfortable, they always delay and cancel flights and their staff are not helpful at all. Today I arrived at the airport with my sister and asked if I can check in with her. They refused, checked in my bag (under weight) then weighed her bags and realized that hers was over, but by then we didn't have mine to shift the weight. We moved way out of the way and attempted to move things to the carry on, but their employee just stood above us insisting we go to the designated bag opening area and refused to understanding that our flight is close to departure time. Then I literally ran all the way to the gate and told them my sister was on the way and their first response was to look for alternative flights, an option I had to insist on rejecting. Now I'm sitting on the plane and it's not even moving, they're doing maintenance work.
RouteNewark to Detroit
Date FlownOctober 2018

"taking my business elsewhere"

Trip Verified | Denver to Philadelphia. My complaint is with customer service and lack of response. Both my wife and I are Mileage Plus Explorer members for several years and were charged $25 each way for baggage. The process to get reimbursed is now approaching two weeks and nobody with any common sense can correct. $25 each way is not a big deal but can't imagine how a major problem would be handled. As a frequent flyer with United will be taking my business elsewhere and giving away my miles so I don't have to deal with incompetence
RouteDenver to Philadelphia
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"numerous seats that were empty"

Trip Verified | Singapore to San Francisco on the Boeing 787. There were numerous seats that were empty, so I had the whole row of 3 to myself. The selection was good for the in flight entertainment. The adjustable tint windows are a good touch. The food/beverage service was the most rushed I have ever had on any Int'l flight. Rather unprofessional to rush the passengers on a long flight like that. The dinner sucked too with this noodle chicken concoction that was awful. The mid flight snack was a very small sandwich and half a kit Kat. Also the socket for phone charging below the seat didn't work. Overall flight was good with the exception of the food/beverage service.
RouteSingapore to San Francisco
Date FlownOctober 2018

"do not recommend this airline"

Not Verified | Honolulu to San Francisco. Seats: 3x4x3. Extremely cramped and limited space for luggage in your seating area. Does no accommodate all body types, it feels like they think everyone is 5'4" and 150 pounds. This is a 5 hour flight and no entertainment unless you download their app on your smart phone. I do not recommend this airline at all. I have flown countless times all over the U.S. and in Canada and Mexico. This is without a doubt the worst airline I have come across
RouteHonolulu to San Francisco
Date FlownOctober 2018

"poor service towards economy class"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Houston. Really poor service towards economy class passengers. I don’t expect first class treatment but I do expect good customer friendly service because at the end of the day I am a customer too.
RouteCancun to Houston
Date FlownOctober 2018

"answer the question they are asked"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Pittsburgh via Denver with 39 mins connection time. I kindly asked the flight attendant about my connecting flight to Pittsburgh. I was concerned whether I could make my connection. She then asked me “Why would you book a flight so close to one another?” in a disrespectful tone. How does that address my concern? It’s no one’s business. Moving forward, I would appreciate if flight attendants would answer the question they are asked and address the concern.
RouteSan Jose to Pittsburgh via Denver
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Missing cut off by 5 minutes"

Trip Verified | I am writing this letter furious with United Airlines for what I am being put through without my consent. Yesterday I arrived to my flight 25 minutes prior to scheduled boarding time. I find out I could not get my bag on the flight because the cut off is 30 minutes prior to boarding. Missing the cut off by 5 minutes and with no other flights out that night I agreed upon taking the morning flight out. I arrive to the airport at 5:20. I walk right up to an agent showed them my new boarding pass and he then pointed his finger to the kiosks and told me I had to go over there. My boarding pass then does not read on the kiosk so I then have to wait for the one man working all of the kiosks In the airline while The agents continued to talk amongst themselves behind the desks. Finally the man comes to help me and then tells me I have to check in with an agent and my flight is leaving in 30 minutes to get my bag on. I walked to the desk and quickly explained that I need to get this bag on that I am going to miss my flight. I Demanded someone to Help me and another lady told me that she could help me so I ran over to her. She put mne on the next flight without telling me and checks my bag. I am now running through TSA and get to the gate at 6am to see the door close and I begged them to open it back up and they told me you are already put on the next flight.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Newark