United Airlines

"United Airlines is terrible"

Not Verified | United Airlines is terrible. I volunteered to change my flight due to Hurricane Ian. I did it preemptively, and United showed me the change happens at no cost, including an upgrade to first class. Their system was "broken", and I was allowed to nearly confirm my ticket with the upgrade. Everything showed me I was good until the very end where it said I had to call their customer service. Turns out, after more than an hour on hold, I had to pay for the the upgrade. It may not sound like a big deal, but the fact that I'm paying for another night at a hotel + moving my schedule around, under the premise that as a courtesy I'd get a complimentary upgrade, was what made this move okay in my mind. I'm less annoyed by the lack of an upgrade and more that they're team is inept. Their customer service isn't service. If you have a choice, do not fly United. At least you know what you're getting with Spirit. PS This is after being grounded on the tarmac before a flight due to a "loose screw" in one of the wings.
RouteSan Diego to Jacksonville
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"It was a horrible experience"

Not Verified | It was a horrible experience flying with United Airlines. The Crew messed up the baggage number which resulting my baggage ended up in Oregon instead in San Francisco. United Airlines was very slow in responding the problem they created at the first place and didn't send my baggage to its destination after a few days. Take note: they wont compensate you for their own mistake so I will file a complain in DOT. Horrible experience. I would not recommend anyone to fly United Airlines.
RoutePhoenix to San Francisco

"Seats are atrocious"

Not Verified | Having just praised the previous United Express flight BZN-SFO, the flight from SFO-SYD that night was awful. United board the plane in groups, but no one was checking as you boarded. Cabin baggage limits were not checked, although announcements were made. All the customers that had more carry-on than they were allowed, boarded as soon as they wanted and took up all the available cabin storage. Personal items that are meant to be stowed under the seat were in the overhead bins and when pointed out to cabin crew they basically said their was nothing they could do, and they did nothing. Travelled 15hrs with mine at my feet. Seats are atrocious, skinny, thin and hard, cut off the circulation in your legs within an hour. The 2 middle seats (centre row of four) must have been designed by a "muppet" that will never sit in them. The mounting for the seats in front is right where your foot goes, severely limiting leg/foot room, worst still it angles back towards you. Cabin staff not friendly and certainly not helpful. Why do airlines/customers insist on being served dinner at 12.30am.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteSan Francisco to Sydney
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"service was miserable and flight attendants rude"

Not Verified | Recently flew United from IAH to FRA in premium economy. Seat was comfortable enough and had sufficient shoulder and leg room. However, service was miserable and flight attendants rude. This was all for $2,600. Save your money and fly with another carrier or just go in economy.
RouteHouston to Frankfurt
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"This Airline clearly is just taking advantage of people"

Trip Verified | I have never flown this airline and was only forced to fly this airline due to credit card rewards points. To say that this airline is awful is an understatement. My wife and I planned our honeymoon to Croatia using credit card points through AMEX and based on the points and the destination, we were advised to use United. The first problem with the airline is bin space and baggage allowance. Our first destination was to Washington DC from Houston and my wife had a bag that had many of her necessary needs for our International flight and due to inconsistencies they told her that she would not be able to bring her bag on the flight and that it needed to be checked since bin space was limited (we saw people place take three personal bags onto the plane and place into the bins above). When asked if she would see her bag in DC they told her no and that she would only see it when we landed in Croatia. We had 2 destinations (DC and Zurich) that we would be landing at before then which was a total time frame of around 16 hours. Due to this my wife was unable to keep many of her things that she needed for the long flight. They allowed no wiggle room despite bins having space when we entered the plane nor did they provide us with advice, just kept telling us it would be seen in Croatia. Next issue was after we landed in DC and made it to our gate to Zurich, I walked up to the front desk (since we were on our honeymoon) to ask if there were any upgrades available. The very rude lady at the desk laughed in my face causing others to look at me and told me that "We haven't done that since the 70's and even if we did, everyone would be on their honeymoon! It's a full flight and you can go sit down now" She never looked at her computer nor did she apologize for nothing being available. Lastly on our 9 hour flight from DC to Zurich, being in the premium economy class, the TVs did not even work on the flight and we were told to watch from our devices and we were never given a choice for a dinner meal (the vegetarian meal) because they ran out of the meat meal and were never offered an apology or even given something extra to make up for the deficiency. This Airline clearly is just taking advantage of people during a flight/travel crisis and they could not give a care in the world about correcting their deficiencies. Good luck if you ever fly this airline.
RouteHouston to Split via Washington, DC and Zurich
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"This is going to be a brutal flight"

Not Verified | Air travel is usually not a pleasant experience, but after several rough goes with United in the past, what is happening as I type is beyond. The lady next to me refuses to move her leg out of my space, and the guy in front of me repeatedly and forcefully reclined his seat over again as soon as he felt it hit my knee. I tried to be polite, they were awful. I then asked flight attendants for assistance, to which they shrugged and said there's nothing they can do. I'm stuck in a tiny ball in the window seat with arthritis in my back. This is going to be a brutal flight. They were already subpar by my standards, but they were the only option. If they're the only option in the future, I think I'll just pass. I'm being ripped off to have my back problems exacerbated because no one wants to even attempt to help. If I could leave zero stars for the cabin crew, I would. They have tiny seat space compared to Jet Blue, Delta, and American. The cabin is also absolutely sweltering.
AircraftBoeing 737-800/900
RouteHouston to Boston

"Don't use them"

Trip Verified | As long everything is smooth its good airline, but if any small bump, like delay, cancelation, mistake in charge etc, they are the worst. No one to talk to, even when at the end you do reach some one they push you of, no refund, no service. you can be stuck in middle of no where because you dont have who to talk. Don't use them. Better take airline that a bit less comfortable but you know that if anything wrong they will help you!
RouteNewark to London
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Staff are good and accommodating"

Trip Verified | This is one of a few United flights out of JFK, meaning there is no United Club. We got access to the Alaska Lounge instead, and it was just as underwhelming as the old United Club. Terminal 7 at JFK is small and old, so there is nothing to roam around. On board, the seats are comfortable flatbed seats but without direct aisle access for window passenger. Since we travelled as family, that was not an issue. Also, for a domestic flight, the seat is quite generous. Staff are good and accommodating. However, the food is mediocre, and menu choices are exactly the same as what we got on our United flights back in January. I am not sure how frequent United rotates their menu. The flight departed and arrived relatively on time, so that is quite good providing all the issues we heard about airports.
RouteNew York to Los Angeles
Date FlownAugust 2022

"additional connection into our itinerary"

Not Verified | Spokane to Pensacola. A couple months after we (7 family members) booked our flights to Pensacola, the airline pushed an additional connection into our itinerary. We had paid a higher price when booking just to avoid having more than one layover, but the airline threw one in anyway. We had a one-time chance to cancel or reschedule on our own if we didn't like the change. However, when we looked at the current flight schedules and prices, they were of course for a lot more money now. It took us two entire days to get to Pensacola because of further plane delays and complete flight cancellations on almost all of the flights. Lack of customer service at the airport caused further nightmares. We prepaid for all our checked luggage for going on our trip and coming back, however, it took an assistant at each airport to key in secret codes while getting boarding passes because the prepaid amounts did not show in their system. We had to pull up copies of our emails showing our prepayment, because the airline did not have records. While on the planes, the stewardesses and pilots were always very nice and helpful. This shows where the majority of trouble lies with the airline. Their booking system and airport staff.
RouteSpokane to Pensacola

"Great service today"

Not Verified | Great service today from the Boise cabin crew members on the flight from BZN to SFO. Friendly and worked well. Did a great job keeping the cabin serviced.
AircraftE175