United Airlines

"Holding customers for ransom"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Oaxaca via Houston. Holding customers for ransom? I recently had an unbelievable experience flying to Mexico on United with a bike. Booked the flight several months back, checked with the United call centre on charges for taking a bike and confirmed what I'd read earlier on the United web site. Both made it clear that if the bike bag fell within weight and dimensional limits it would be charged simply as a second item of checked baggage i.e. $50. When I checked in at the airport, the United agent insisted that I owed an extra $200 (!) for the bike even though it came in under 50 lb limit and was the standard dimensions set out in the Airline's limits. No amount of back and forth would bring them round to honour the original terms. And curiously my two companions who had checked in a little earlier for the same flights also with bikes were charged much less - one paid $25 as it was his first and only item of checked luggage and the other was charged nothing for his bike as second item (his was in an identical Evoc bike bag and weighed just a little more than mine). The experience left a very bad taste. What can you do but pay up when you have already bought the ticket and will be leaving soon? This seems to be the kind of business practice you would expect of a dubious, disreputable business or one might experience in some part of the world where corrupt practices are more common.
RouteToronto to Oaxaca via Houston
Date FlownDecember 2018

"bad smelling air freshener"

Trip Verified | On an 8 hour trip from Honolulu to Houston the flight attendants sprayed the cabin of the plane with a bad smelling air freshener with no regards to anyone’s health, including babies and younger children. Many people on the plane were coughing. I’ve never experienced this on an airline.
RouteHonolulu to Houston
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Friendly crew, decent foodv"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Sao Paulo to Houston. United Airlines have a lot of old planes still it seems. This is not necessarily a bad thing, I love these old 767s they have substantially more personal space (pitch and width) than newer aircraft. Friendly crew, decent food. I pegged an exit seat as a result of status gained through status matching. None of the airlines from the United States touch my preferred airlines in Europe Air France, Alitalia but United is now for me competitive with American and not so far behind Delta as it was.
RouteSao Paulo to Houston
Date FlownNovember 2018

"have never experienced delays this long"

Trip Verified | Flew United Airlines from Indianapolis to Denver. Took well over an hour from the original departure time to even begin boarding which caused many personal schedule errors to ensue after. I understand delays occur, however I have never experienced delays this long with any other company.
RouteIndianapolis to Denver
Date FlownDecember 2018

"What kind of operation is this?"

Trip Verified | I have yet to be treated this horribly! I have flown for work for the past 10 years on different airlines including United and this has been the worst experience. Since when are passengers treated with such distrust and since when is it ok for United employees to be this rude to passengers? Initially I was questioned about the size of my carry-on which I travel with all the time. She right away said to check it and I tried to put it in the size checker and I explained that I had placed my laptop in the outside pocket which is why it looks “thicker” so let me just put it inside the bag and it’ll be fine and she just said “if you check it you can’t check the laptop” and I replied “no, the point is I’m not checking it bc it fits” and she said “it’s doesnt fit so check it - I made an announcement earlier so you should know”. Firstly, the bag fit, and so she just walked away without saying anything and then secondly since when is it ok to “scold” me like I “should know”? Really? Then I cut my finger on the size checker and I asked a flight attendant for a bandaid and she said she can’t get one. I said I’m bleeding. She said she can’t leave the front and the first aid is in the middle. I said isn’t there a flight attendant in the middle and she said “yes but they are assisting someone else”. What kind of operation is this? Then later after 10 minutes she comes by and gives me a bandaid without a word. What kind of customer service is this?
RouteWashington to Newark
Date FlownOctober 2018

"doesn't care about you or your money"

Not Verified | Never warned about flight cancellations and was told it was confirmed the night before with no help from the desk. Was told there was a walmart and that was supposed to make up for it. Waste of time. Incompetence to the highest degree and a lack of care. Even told them I had orders to be reporting into for the military and all I got was an 'oh well' from the desk staff. Then when I tried to transfer flights they wouldn't because "they would lose money". United Airlines is a terrible airline, doesn't care about you or your money, and would rather you just stay put instead of getting you anywhere.
RouteSavannah to Portland
Date FlownDecember 2018

"will never fly United again"

Trip Verified | Houston to Minneapolis. There was no prior warning of our flight being delayed until five minutes prior to the plane boarding. Every 30 minutes they delayed our flight another 1/2 hour for a total of five hours. Then at 12:00am they announced our flight would be cancelled. They sent all 200 passengers to customer service where three employees worked to put customers in hotels. After 1.5 hour wait in line we were informed there were not hotel rooms left for the night and we were forced to sleep at the airport. There has been no compensation for our trouble and our seats for the flight we were booked on in the morning were all the way to the back. They upgraded the business class passengers to first class conveying they do not value the every day vacationer but cooperate business who frequently use their airline. I will never fly United again.
RouteHouston to Minneapolis
Date FlownDecember 2018

"the worst customer service of my life"

Not Verified | This morning I encountered probably the worst customer service of my life. The person at the check-in desk was incompetent and rude. I had a valid document for travel to Mexico with an official green card stamp in my passport and she got confused and told me she has never seen this and decided to leave with my passport and go somewhere without even explaining her actions. When I confronted her and asked not to leave with my documents she said: "I won't be able to help you, I just can't deal with the attitude right now". When I finally made her talk to the supervisor and he looked at my documents and said "oh yeah that's ok". I wasted 40 minutes of my life. One star United, I think that becomes a new normal for you.
RouteSan Francisco to Los Cabos

"Our worst trip ever"

Not Verified | Milwaukee to Leon via Houston. Today is a nightmare for us. We pay extra to leave Milwaukee early in the morning - first we were delayed in Milwaukee for 3 hours then arrived in Houston delayed 3 hours. Arriving at night in Leon mexico. We had a wedding to attend and now we are not going to be on time. We talk to the staff from the airline they were rude. This is my first and last trip in this airline. Our worst trip ever.
RouteMilwaukee to Leon via Houston
Date FlownDecember 2018

"try to never fly United again"

Not Verified | Wiliston to Corpus Christi. On the way to North Dakota had to change planes due to maintenance issues. Now on the way back, so far, the first plane was over an hour late due to maintenance issues and currently having to change planes due to maintenance issues as well on the second plane. Still have one more to go, doubt that one will be ready to fly as well. I will try to never fly United again.
RouteWiliston to Corpus Christi