United Airlines

"Brazen swindlers"

Trip Verified | Brazen swindlers. My bag fit easily into the carry-on size box. I bought a ticket with hand luggage. But they refused to put me on the plane until I paid for my hand luggage as baggage. Why did they create the measuring box? If it doesn't make sense. I showed a screenshot from their corporate website, where the dimensions of hand luggage were indicated. But the company employees didn’t care about the site.
RouteMaimi to San Francisco
Date FlownJuly 2024

"We had a terrible experience"

Not Verified | We had a terrible experience with United Airlines. Our flight was scheduled for 5:45 am, and we arrived at the airport on time. However, the check-in process was unusually slow, taking much longer than expected. After finally getting through check-in, we proceeded to security, but we were stopped by the employee who checked us in. They realized there was an issue with my boarding pass and spent another 15 minutes verifying it. Once we reached security, we encountered another problem: the TSA agent noticed a discrepancy between my boarding pass and passport. This required us to go back to the check-in counter, where it took them another 10 minutes to identify that my birthdate was entered incorrectly. By the time everything was sorted out and we returned to the security checkpoint, there was a lengthy queue. Despite rushing through security, we arrived at the gate just 5 minutes late, only to be informed that we had missed our boarding window. The airline staff instructed us to reschedule our flight due to the delay caused by these issues. Which where all caused by United Airlines.
RouteOntario to Houston
Date FlownJuly 2024

"told us we have to check in our carry ons"

Not Verified | We were the last group going on the plane. We had a connection in New York. They let first people to take three bags and they told us we have to check in our carry ons. They were absolutely rude and not professional. They threatened us with police. We had computers and learning books for our medical conference in Geneva. This is absurd This is the first and last time we flying United.
RouteBoston to New York
Date FlownJuly 2024

"flight was overbooked and was delayed"

Trip Verified | I normally fly Delta, but chose United due to the availability of a direct flight. As usual my United flight was overbooked and was delayed so bad (due to technical issues and needing a new plane, that a Delta flight with a Layover would have been better. This seems to happen every time I give an airline other than Delta a try. I have said I’ll never use United again more than once. Maybe they will eventually get one right.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteHouston to Norfolk
Date FlownJuly 2024

"never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | I first flew United from Indianapolis to Boston via New Jersey, and my flight was delayed by two hours causing me to miss my connection. The worst part was, we were on the tarmac when they told us the flight had been delayed. And the flight on this review is my second ever flight with United trying to get from Boston to Corpus with a connection in Houston. Once again, they waited until the very last second to inform me of a 1hr and 5 minute delay (as of the time of writing this review). With their track record, I’m not that optimistic they will successfully take off at the new time, either. The gate changed twice, and they didn’t inform me of the delayed time until boarding was supposed to have ended. The flight was supposed to leave at 12:15pm, and the flight time wasn’t changed until 12:00pm. According to their information, it was a scheduling error, and I’ve honestly had such a horrible experience with getting anywhere on time with them, I will be doing my absolute best to never fly with them again.
RouteBoston to Corpus Christi via Houston
Date FlownJuly 2024

"do not care about passengers"

Trip Verified | Horrible airline. The inflight entertainment was broken, for a 13 hour flight. A mobility aid was lost on arrival, due to incorrect tagging by the staff in San Francisco - a surly check-in member who did not smile once. They broke a suitcase on top of all that, which they refuse to fix. Avoid this disaster of an airline. They do not care about passengers.
RouteSan Francisco to Brisbane

"please issue a refund"

Trip Verified | I made an online reservation in March 2024 for a family of 4 and 10 mins after canceling the reservation due to nondisclosure of ticket restriction on the site at the time of booking. The company assured me that the entire reservation was canceled and provided a cancellation email. After realizing no refund was received I dispute my credit card which United fought back stating it as a valid charge. I called to speak to United in May. I found out that they only canceled 1 person off and currently 3 people are still active on their end. After understanding the error that occurred the agent said to go on their dispute site and submit refund and documents, which were submitted on 5/27, Jun 3, and Jul 17 with no answer. Today I spoke with the agent to understand the issue, only to find out that they are refusing the refund. I spoke with the refund department and she said “sorry, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done for this reservation. I asked her, how did my daughter disappear off the reservation? And if her cancellation was valid why did United never refunded the charge for her and kept the full amount and applied to the remaining 3 tickets? I told her the entire reservation was canceled and for some reason 1 person got canceled so please issue a refund as this is large amount and in today's economy every dollar is important. The initial reservation was for 4 people in excess of $4000+.
RouteAustin to London
Date FlownJune 2024

"worst airline I have ever flown"

Not Verified | This is the worst airline I have ever flown. I usually travel via spirit due to it being inexpensive and like to save money to have a little better of stay where ever I am going. Unfortunately to fly to Grand Rapids you can not fly spirit so we chose united thinking well it cannot be worse (we were wrong). I don't expect luxury when I fly I expect to make it to my destination and if it is weather delayed that is okay but when 3 planes aren't working that's a huge issue. My girlfriend and I were stuck in Denver forever away from home (Indiana) for almost 9 hours and we knew we would be there for at least an hour cause Denver was a connecting flight so i couldn't imagine what getting there early would have been. Our flight was after 7 hours cancelled and we were there another 2 hours trying to get things figured out. By the time we made it to our hotel it was 5am our home time. We were told by someone at the Denver airport he has been there "30 years" we could get a flight two days later from our original flight date. So we had to get a rental to get to our destination and has been the most insane time trying to get our rental reimbursed. Everyone on customer support speaks minimal English and can't help us well. The airport workers are no help they all just pass out cards with a QR card and I had to use a phone to translate information to a Chinese speaker. This is unacceptable from an airline who claims to be one of the better airlines.
RouteDenver to Grand Rapids

"Very pleasant flight"

Trip Verified | Very pleasant flight on this A320 with large overhead bins with plenty of storage space. There was ample leg room in Economy Plus. Departure was on time. The flight overall was smooth except for bumpy patches which the pilot advised the passengers of before takeoff. ICE and messaging worked fine with no buffering watching a movie. Flight crew was very friendly and provided the usual service that all domestic airlines do (beverages and snacks) with food available for purchase.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Washington
Date FlownJune 2024

" Never flying this airline ever again"

Trip Verified | The staff is great don’t get me wrong, but if any of you ever decide to fly United just add an hour and a half to whatever they tell you the arrival time, is because inevitably always happens. Never flying with this airline ever again, could be compared to Southwest at this point, maybe worse
RouteRochester to Duluth via Chicago