United Airlines

"should value and take CUSTOMER SERVICE seriously"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Los Angeles. I just wanted to share our family experience with United Airways Ground Service Attendants. I booked our ticket on AMERICAN EXPRESS travel page, we got a confirmed flight for AIR CANADA via UNITED AIRLINES. And it was NOT a PLEASANT one! I have been and still is working in Customer service ALL my 20+ years. And in all of those years working with 2 different big companies I was trained the VALUE of CUSTOMER SERVICE. To which SAD to say my family DID NOT get from the 3 ladies at the gate counter that were assigned on duty on September 30, 2022, 04:55 pm, Flight UA1756 at gate E77 YVR-LAX. I am fully aware that system will randomly assigned the seat according to the availability. But, is it not when you are flying with minors especially when they are under the age of 10, Airline System must prioritize the family to be seated together during the flight? Just like what they advertised on their website? Well, It SURELY DID NOT happen to my family, as all 4 of us are seated on 4 DIFFERENT ROWS!! Is it not the reason Airlines have personnel working behind their computer to make sure that when an issue such as this arises they are there to fix it?? (Could it be their tactics to force you to pay extra money?) I have asked in multiple occasions the United Airlines personnel behind the computer to kindly seat us family together or at least myself and my 2 kids, as it will be hard for the kids, myself, as well as the one who will be seating beside them. Unfortunately, the 3 ladies kept brushing off my concern, so I have asked to speak with the supervisor but I was told that there was no supervisor on duty as it was the last flight? So then I asked for the one in-charge on that shift but she repeatedly told me "that My family are on economy seats and they CAN NOT do anything and that I should have paid for a preferred seats!". I have got no complain whatsoever to be seated anywhere on the plane, not even requesting a front or more leg room seat, I was just SIMPLY asking to be seated with my 2 young children. But all 3 of them kept saying that the flight is full, if I want I can just ask the other passenger to switch seats with me?? Here's what FRUSTRATES me about the CUSTOMER SERVICE of their personnel, in situation like this, WHY do I have to look after myself/my family we paid money too to be on the flight? Is it not their job to assist us? Also, why would they have their staff be on the floor, wear their Company ID's but not be allowed to show it? Since when in customer service industry, a PERSONNEL IS NOT ALLOWED to provide their name? (Calling out HR and management, is this how you trained your people?) Anyways, upon boarding, while looking for our assigned seats, my husband approached one of the flight attendant if there's anyway she could help us with the seats, as we were seated separately (too bad I can't address my family's sincere appreciation to HER as I'm told that getting their name is "AGAINST company's policy" as per the agent on the ground). SHE gladly assisted us and was able to seat myself with my son who's 5 and my daughter who's 8 with my husband. Again, shout out to her as she definitely turned the bad experience into a good one! TO THE 3 ladies on the counter most especially to the one who I dealt with, I sincerely wish that she gets some PROPER COACHING from their management. That should value and take CUSTOMER SERVICE seriously as this is their means of income!
RouteVancouver to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"a very unpleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Last September 6th I had a flight with my parents from Vancouver to El Paso, TX, we boarded the plane on time but we did not take off, after half an hour of being on the plane they gave us the order to get off, the pilot said that the plane had a maintenance problem and we had to wait at the gate. Inside there was a huge queue of passengers who wanted to ask for information on what time the plane would leave, only one person was attending the counter. The flight was canceled but the United employees never told us that, they never gave an official announcement. When I was finally able to talk to the person at the counter, he said that we would have to take other flights. He sent us on a late flight to Seattle and we had to sleep there without luggage, I asked him to take down the luggage from the canceled flight and he said it was impossible. Arriving in Seattle at the counter, ask for a hotel explaining the situation, for which we were taken to a truly horrible hotel called Quality Inn. In the morning we fly to Denver and finally to El Paso. It was terrible, we arrived almost twenty four hours after the original arrival. Our bags arrived three days later in El Paso. It was a very unpleasant experience, with their attitude United staff seem to not care much about the customer. I will never fly with this airline again, I already investigated and there are many very unpleasant stories that happen frequently.
RouteVancouver to El Paso via Denver
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"told my son did not actually have a ticket"

Trip Verified | I called United to purchase two tickets. One for myself, and one for my son. I asked the United agent to use any of our available flight credits towards the two tickets and I would pay the difference. When they sent me a confirmation email, I noticed only my name--so I called United. They confirmed that I had two tickets and sent me a confirmation email listing both myself and my son as passengers. On the day of travel we checked in at the baggage check area and got our boarding passes which included seat assignments. When we tried to get on the plane, I was told my son did not actually have a ticket. We were flying a red eye and needed to get back east for a funeral. United told me I would have to purchase a ticket or we would not make the funeral. They also charged me 20% more for the ticket. I called customer service and explained what happened the next day and they said to submit a refund request and United, "would make it right." United Customer Care rejected my request in less than a day.
RoutePortland to Louisville via Chicago
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"most horrible flight experience"

Trip Verified | I am reviewing this United/SkyWest flight because it was the most horrible flight experience we have ever had. It started by having the gate change 3 times necessitating walks to the next gate (over a 10 min. walk ea.) We are mobility impaired with no shuttle around. While waiting on the second change we observed the same type of jet (CRJ200) going to Aspen fully boarded waiting with a failure to start #2 Engine for over 1 hr. This is a real confidence builder! They finally gave us a new gate over 10 min. walk and of course there was a departure delay. When we boarded it was extremely hor as the A/C wasn't working properly. They assured it would be ok when we got airborne in 10 min. over 25 min we weren't rolling and it was getting worse! Finally we were in the air the A/C still wasn't working properly. Very hot and uncomfortable trip. Needless to say this will be the last trip on united from COS to and from DEN we will be taking as the road shuttle service will be cheaper, faster and more comfortable. United was a complete Failure.
AircraftCRJ200
RouteDenver to Colorado Springs
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"United Airlines is terrible"

Not Verified | United Airlines is terrible. I volunteered to change my flight due to Hurricane Ian. I did it preemptively, and United showed me the change happens at no cost, including an upgrade to first class. Their system was "broken", and I was allowed to nearly confirm my ticket with the upgrade. Everything showed me I was good until the very end where it said I had to call their customer service. Turns out, after more than an hour on hold, I had to pay for the the upgrade. It may not sound like a big deal, but the fact that I'm paying for another night at a hotel + moving my schedule around, under the premise that as a courtesy I'd get a complimentary upgrade, was what made this move okay in my mind. I'm less annoyed by the lack of an upgrade and more that they're team is inept. Their customer service isn't service. If you have a choice, do not fly United. At least you know what you're getting with Spirit. PS This is after being grounded on the tarmac before a flight due to a "loose screw" in one of the wings.
RouteSan Diego to Jacksonville
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"It was a horrible experience"

Not Verified | It was a horrible experience flying with United Airlines. The Crew messed up the baggage number which resulting my baggage ended up in Oregon instead in San Francisco. United Airlines was very slow in responding the problem they created at the first place and didn't send my baggage to its destination after a few days. Take note: they wont compensate you for their own mistake so I will file a complain in DOT. Horrible experience. I would not recommend anyone to fly United Airlines.
RoutePhoenix to San Francisco

"Seats are atrocious"

Not Verified | Having just praised the previous United Express flight BZN-SFO, the flight from SFO-SYD that night was awful. United board the plane in groups, but no one was checking as you boarded. Cabin baggage limits were not checked, although announcements were made. All the customers that had more carry-on than they were allowed, boarded as soon as they wanted and took up all the available cabin storage. Personal items that are meant to be stowed under the seat were in the overhead bins and when pointed out to cabin crew they basically said their was nothing they could do, and they did nothing. Travelled 15hrs with mine at my feet. Seats are atrocious, skinny, thin and hard, cut off the circulation in your legs within an hour. The 2 middle seats (centre row of four) must have been designed by a "muppet" that will never sit in them. The mounting for the seats in front is right where your foot goes, severely limiting leg/foot room, worst still it angles back towards you. Cabin staff not friendly and certainly not helpful. Why do airlines/customers insist on being served dinner at 12.30am.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteSan Francisco to Sydney
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"service was miserable and flight attendants rude"

Not Verified | Recently flew United from IAH to FRA in premium economy. Seat was comfortable enough and had sufficient shoulder and leg room. However, service was miserable and flight attendants rude. This was all for $2,600. Save your money and fly with another carrier or just go in economy.
RouteHouston to Frankfurt
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"This Airline clearly is just taking advantage of people"

Trip Verified | I have never flown this airline and was only forced to fly this airline due to credit card rewards points. To say that this airline is awful is an understatement. My wife and I planned our honeymoon to Croatia using credit card points through AMEX and based on the points and the destination, we were advised to use United. The first problem with the airline is bin space and baggage allowance. Our first destination was to Washington DC from Houston and my wife had a bag that had many of her necessary needs for our International flight and due to inconsistencies they told her that she would not be able to bring her bag on the flight and that it needed to be checked since bin space was limited (we saw people place take three personal bags onto the plane and place into the bins above). When asked if she would see her bag in DC they told her no and that she would only see it when we landed in Croatia. We had 2 destinations (DC and Zurich) that we would be landing at before then which was a total time frame of around 16 hours. Due to this my wife was unable to keep many of her things that she needed for the long flight. They allowed no wiggle room despite bins having space when we entered the plane nor did they provide us with advice, just kept telling us it would be seen in Croatia. Next issue was after we landed in DC and made it to our gate to Zurich, I walked up to the front desk (since we were on our honeymoon) to ask if there were any upgrades available. The very rude lady at the desk laughed in my face causing others to look at me and told me that "We haven't done that since the 70's and even if we did, everyone would be on their honeymoon! It's a full flight and you can go sit down now" She never looked at her computer nor did she apologize for nothing being available. Lastly on our 9 hour flight from DC to Zurich, being in the premium economy class, the TVs did not even work on the flight and we were told to watch from our devices and we were never given a choice for a dinner meal (the vegetarian meal) because they ran out of the meat meal and were never offered an apology or even given something extra to make up for the deficiency. This Airline clearly is just taking advantage of people during a flight/travel crisis and they could not give a care in the world about correcting their deficiencies. Good luck if you ever fly this airline.
RouteHouston to Split via Washington, DC and Zurich
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"This is going to be a brutal flight"

Not Verified | Air travel is usually not a pleasant experience, but after several rough goes with United in the past, what is happening as I type is beyond. The lady next to me refuses to move her leg out of my space, and the guy in front of me repeatedly and forcefully reclined his seat over again as soon as he felt it hit my knee. I tried to be polite, they were awful. I then asked flight attendants for assistance, to which they shrugged and said there's nothing they can do. I'm stuck in a tiny ball in the window seat with arthritis in my back. This is going to be a brutal flight. They were already subpar by my standards, but they were the only option. If they're the only option in the future, I think I'll just pass. I'm being ripped off to have my back problems exacerbated because no one wants to even attempt to help. If I could leave zero stars for the cabin crew, I would. They have tiny seat space compared to Jet Blue, Delta, and American. The cabin is also absolutely sweltering.
AircraftBoeing 737-800/900