United Airlines

"recent experience was absolutely horrible"

Not Verified | I flew with United back in March and again this month in May of 2022. Both experiences were terrible but this most recent experience was absolutely horrible. I left Miami and had a 2.5 hour flight to New Jersey. When we landed we had to wait on the plane for 3 hours waiting for a gate to open up. We were waiting to get off the plane after we landed for longer than the flight even was. Due to waiting 3 hours to get off the flight I missed my second flight. I eventually made it home and then my luggage was missing and United still does not know where my luggage is. The customer service or lack of I should say has been useless. I will not be flying with United again. They overbook flights and are booking more flights than the gates can handle. I have never witnessed airplane traffic but there was over 10 United planes waiting for gates and everything was a shit show. I would recommend flying a different airline and getting your money's worth somewhere else. Wifi also did not work. We were stuck on the first plane for 6 hours but it was supposed to be a 2.5 hour flight.
RouteMiami to Rhode Island
Date FlownMay 2022

"will never be my first choice airline"

Trip Verified | One out of two legs both coming and going had “cleaning delays”. This seems to be the general reason cited for not being on time. Then on 1/2 flights each way, the pilot further announced a “potable water delay”. Come on? You can’t have the toilet water ready knowing there is a flight. Lots of excuses, mediocre airline that charges more than others but delivers less. This will never be my first choice airline. The planes I flew on looked like they were on their last legs.
RouteTampa to Reno via Denver
Date FlownMay 2022

"service from United was absolutely dreadful"

Trip Verified | My direct flight from San Francisco to Singapore was cancelled and the service which followed from United Airlines can only be described as diabolical. Firstly we were informed by the pilot whist sitting on the plane that he was "just about to take the break off the plane when someone on the ground noticed a fuel leak". What sort of safety measures is this company taking pre take off if someone only noticed a flight leak this late in the game? We sat on the plane for another hour waiting for the fuel leak to be investigated and eventually we were sent back to the airport. By this time it was 1am. We lined up waiting to speak to United staff to obtain more information however the queues were barely moving. By 2am I decided to get my hold luggage and leave. We were told the incorrect information 3 times by United officials with regards to where to collect our bags. I eventually asked a cleaner who kindly took me to the right place. We were also told to collect hotel vouchers from the United attendants at the baggage hall however they denied all knowledge of this and sent us back upstairs. It was a complete shambles. 3am and I eventually lost my temper having already taken 3 flights to get to San Francisco. I was eventually given a hotel voucher. The next day I checked the United app to see whether there was advice with regards to how to refund the flight cost. I discovered that United had booked me on a flight from San Francisco to Frankfurt to Singapore and they had not communicated this to me via email, text or in person. I cancelled the flight and was offered a refund for the original flight cost. I agreed to this and then an error stating the refund could not be processed popped up. I booked another flight with Singapore Air when the United flight was cancelled, and arrived at the airport 2 days after my original flight to discuss my flight refund with United staff in person. I waited for an hour at the United counter whilst employees tried to figure out if they could refund me (one would think this is a regular occurrence). Eventually they told me I have to do it online (even though sometimes they can do it person) as well as claim for all the food I ate while I was stuck in San Francisco and the difference between my original United flight ticket cost and the new Singapore Airlines ticket price (more expensive because of demand and short notice). I claimed online and was told I would not be reimbursed for any of the food costs incurred, or the taxi from airport to the airport hotel, or the difference between the United Airlines flight and the Singapore Air flight. United gave me a refund for the cancelled flight and a United Airlines voucher (which I will clearly never use!) I asked for cash refund instead, they said they "don't do this". The service from United was absolutely dreadful. I do not know how any company operates like this but I will never fly United again. This delay has resulted in a multitude of extra costs for me at my next destination including a COVID test which is now 4 times more expensive than my original booking, money lost on a hotel, money to change my onward flight from my next destination. Not to mention how the stress has affected me emotionally.
RouteSan Francisco to Singapore
Date FlownMay 2022

"Do not waste your money on a plane ticket with this company"

Trip Verified | This was the worst flying experience of my life! I do not fly often but this airline makes me want to drive 13 hours rather than flying for 2.5 hours. There was a weather delay on my first flight, 30 min before we were supposed to board the flight was canceled, but this was understandable due to the weather. I spoke to a United Airlines rep and I was put on the earliest flight the following day (12 hours later), I checked my bags in and 30 min before I was about to board a 2nd time, our flight was canceled! I have now been in this airport going on 18 hours and for absolutely no reason at all. I was forced to cancel my ticket because I couldn’t wait here another 9 hours for the next flight to a place 135 miles away from where I need to land. I’m currently waiting in my 20th hour for my bag that I checked in, I’ve talked to 4 different United reps and not one of them gave me the same answer on where my bags where/are! Do not waste your money on a plane ticket with this company, might as well drive.
RouteNewark NJ to Orlando FL

"Absolutely horrible service!"

Trip Verified | Absolutely horrible service! I am a mileage plus member and none of that matters. I was at the airport for 6 hours to be told last minute we are cancelled. The staff left their post and had no answers then one lady comes over and says scan a QR code. After 2 hours of waiting for a call to rebook and an hour of speaking to people in the Philippines I was told their is nothing they could do for me. Basically your stuck here another 2 days. Even when i explained my job situation, Nobody cared they told me too bad nothing they could do. not even a refund! I'm so disgusted with this customer service and the way these employees handle themselves that i will be cutting my card and not using this service anymore, think twice before booking, They are turning into a spirit airlines. Low budget travel!
RouteNewark to Orlando

"delay or canceled"

Not Verified | Every time I fly United something goes wrong, delay or canceled, and it is never one change so far, this flight has been delayed twice the undelayed half way. Seriously back and forth and back and forth, wasting my time and my day could have had another 2 hours at home with my family.
RouteMinneapolis–Saint Paul to Denver

"bad customer service"

Trip Verified | This is the 3rd time back to back that United Airlines cancelled my flights within 6 months. Today from Arizona to NJ with a stop over in Houston. Was told the flight was delayed for an hour. Then 10 plus hours due to weather which I understand. My hand luggage was checked in at the skyline entrance in Phoenix. I asked for my bag and was told to go figure it out myself that the customer services can't help with that. Told them i need my toiletries as am on my period. The lady could care less. Last year November too from Dallas to NJ my flight was delayed from 2pm to 9 pm. I managed to reschedule to 4pm and was charged extra. Yet the 4.15pm flight was delayed till 5.30 after I paid extra fees. I stopped flying united for international flight in 2017 and only fly local with them. My problem is not with the cancelled flight but the bad customer service. The international air hostesses always act like they are doing you a favor by flying united. Never ever again. This is the last straw. Have learnt my lesson.
RoutePhoenix to Newark via Houston
Date FlownMay 2022

"avoid using this horrible company"

Trip Verified | 1 week before our flight to Greece (to get married/honeymoon) we were sent an email saying our final short flight home (of 3 total connections) would now have a 6 hour layover instead of 2 hours. When we arrived, that lay over was extended for 2 hours. Then another 1.5 hours. Shortly before midnight they cancelled the flight. Now stranded in DC they gave us no transportation, no hotel voucher, and no sympathy. As I write this review we are in the airport scrambling to find someone to watch our 5 year old son. Our dogs can hopefully be fed by a neighbor. We both had to cancel work for the day. We’ve slept maybe 4 hours in the last 48 as we’re on standby to hopefully get home at some point. Our bags are in NY for some reason. Not a single employee seems to care, or made it at all easy to coordinate a way home. Whoever reads this, do yourselves a favor and spend any amount of money it takes to avoid using this horrible company. If they are your only option, cancel your trip
RouteWashington to Charlotte
Date FlownMay 2022

"lost my connecting flight due to the delay"

Trip Verified | Worst customer service. I lost my connecting flight due to the delay. They didn't even help me with an earlier flight. I had to miss an important class because of them.
RouteAnchorage to Dallas via Denver

"Don’t fly United"

Not Verified | Cancelled flight to Auckland 2 months before travel. Called to find alternatives. Dates Required to stay same as trip has been pre planned. Alternative offered for outbound flight no problem. No same class alternative for return. I inquired about any seat available in any class as trip is family reunion after covid and specific dates are needed. It was suggested that I was only interested in upgrade as I “was asking to change flight”. What? I don’t want to change anything, I want the flight you sold me but cancelled. I need to travel on this specific date. You have cancelled my flight, if you can get me on a plane you should. Don’t fly United.
RouteLondon to Auckland via San Francisco