United Airlines

"never be using this company again"

Not Verified | Saturday 7/24 we get a text telling us our fight is cancelled. So we rescheduled it. My wife had to reschedule 3 more times to later find out that we that there wouldn’t be any fights going out 7/25 and they scheduled the following day. Now we have to pay for another hotel which no hotel coupon discount was giving to us, we had to pay out of pocket $800 between hotel, rental vehicle and food for the day. Not to mention I couldn’t make to work so I lost money there also. So now we are getting ready to fly back home. They didn’t even give us a direct fight which we paid for no we had to do a connecting fight. Well at the moment we landed in Washington and they are saying we are delayed once again. I will never be using this company again. I haven’t called them yet but they will get my peace of mind. Terrible just terrible
RouteNew York to Myrtle Beach
Date FlownJuly 2021

"never be flying United ever again!"

Trip Verified | I cannot stress enough how absolutely awful this flight experience was. Not only was the air conditioning broken but the flight was delayed. Instead of deplaning, United decided it was best to keep all passengers aboard while temperatures reached upwards of 100 degrees within the cabin. We were stuck on the plane for an hour all doors closed and no air while still at the gate. Will never be flying United ever again! If you care about you health, safety, comfort do not fly United.
RouteWashington to Miami
Date FlownJuly 2021

"They were awake for 72 hours"

Not Verified | United Airlines has the worst customer service, lack of empathy and is entirely unprofessional. The experience my 5 yr old daughter and husband had was absolutely unacceptable. Loading up a plane with 100 passengers and luggage after collecting fare from people making them wait four hours on the plane only to be told the pilot didn't show up and flight is canceled. Then the only option is to wait in line for three hours to rebook or cancel flight and it takes 5 days to receive refund. Finally rebook for a flight 24hrs later only to have that flight be late as well. They were awake for 72 hours. Just one layover and this happens, insane! Just telling everyone to never under any circumstances take United Airlines, you are better off taking Spirit Airlines. This place is a joke.
RouteSeattle to Santo Domingo
Date FlownJuly 2021

"ticket was not refundable"

Trip Verified | I had to return to NM after being stuck in CA by the pandemic. Because of my age and physical limitations I purchased a first class/fully refundable ticket. I was originally scheduled to return to CA 4/23/21 but was unable to keep that date and changed me ticket to July 20, 2021, as shown on the attachment. To be certain I was doing everything correctly online I called United to walk me through the process. When I reiterated that my ticket must be fully refundable, I was informed that first class is always fully refundable. I don’t trust people in general, so before I changed the ticket I called again to speak to another agent who confirmed the information I was given initially on fully refundable/first class tickets. The second agent concurred so I changed my ticket. On July 18 I cancelled my trip due to physical limitations. Had I taken the trip I would have been in bed, literally, for three or four days immediately afterwards. My children pointed out that the trip would be too much for me. Immediately after canceling the ticket online I called United. The website would not allow me to apply for the refund, so I called for assistance in doing so. The agent was very nice and walked me through the online process. However, I received an email from United informing me that my ticket was not refundable, even though it was first class. I explained the entire situation to be virtual told ‘oh well’. I am now out more than $1,000 and there seems to no recourse. If I weren’t so old and not physically able, you can be certain I would picket United airlines at the airport.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteAlbuquerque to Fresno
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Very claustrophobic"

Trip Verified | Absolutely terrible. Very claustrophobic, I’m small but my knees were touching the seat in front of me. The people in back were also touching my seat with their knees. The toilet hadn’t been flushed and there was urine on the toilet seat. The only redeeming factor quality was the airline staff.
RouteFort Myers to Chicago

"Horrible, just terrible"

Trip Verified | Horrible, just terrible, they cancelled all flights on the 22nd but let UA 5357 go to Durango from Denver at 9:55 but canceled every other United flight that night after canceling at 8:00. Made everyone, up to 600 people line up to customer service with only 2 agents running it for 4 hours before more agents showed up, a virtual agent hung up on a elderly lady for wanting to go back home and be refunded. Then delayed my flight for 2 days straight, always the crew was “ missing” never flying United again
RouteWichita to Durango via Denver

"First class was awful"

Not Verified | Have not felt safe traveling during Covid. Booked Polaris Class flights on United from EWR to SFO and back. It was over $8,000 for 2 tickets, but felt that Polaris non-stop, at a reasonable time of day was worth it. The flight to SFO was wonderful - blanket, pillows, attention from flight attendants and fantastic entertainment center, as well as privacy in a "pod". Return flight was cancelled due to "operational issues" (which I'm guessing means no crew), and we were rebooked on a late evening flight to phoenix on a small jet, and a red eye from phoenix to EWR. First class was awful -- no service, no pillows or blankets on red-eye, no entertainment systems. Pilot wore mask under nose in airport, and no mask in plane when using rest room. I asked united for money back, since red eyes are generally cheaper, as are these flights in general. I got $150 voucher, and they would not give me any more than that. It's a shame that Virgin Air sold to Alaska airlines -- there are no good non-stop options from EWR to SFO anymore. There needs to be regulation regarding transparency in fares, and accountability for refunds when you don't get what you pay for. When you pay for First Class, service is part of the equation -- not being stuck on random flights to get you from point a to point b, with no compensation for the service that is lacking.
RouteSan Francisco to Newark
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Next time for me it will Jet Blue in Mint to and from LAX"

(Bermuda)

Not Verified | I had been looking forward to trying out United's re-introduced service from LAX to JFK in Business Class. They call it Polaris and it is supposed to be on par with their International service but on a domestic route. I found the boarding gate at LAX congested and confused. Once onboard and settled in the seat was quite comfortable, although the plane was crammed and they had the old overhead bins. There was a large pillow for your head and a smaller harder one for your back, along with a blanket and amenity kit. We departed late which meant we would not arrive in JFK until well after midnight. The entire plane was full, with a full Business Class load of 48 passengers. The 2 cabin crew in Polaris were very nice but rushed and harried, and only came around once for drinks after take off. I had to get up and go to the galley to get my red for the dinner, which was served on a cart but all hot entrees piled on top of each other and then put down on your tray. After dinner they came around with sherbet on a tray. The seat did extend to a full length bed and was comfortable so I slept for a few hours. I did not like wearing the shoulder strap for take-off and landing. The other thing I noticed that when she came around to take the meal order the F/A asked if I wanted the chicken or the butternut squash pasta, and said that if they ran out of chicken would the squash be okay. In other words they had under catered the chicken. Still no glassware. In the cabin crew's defense they did say that there were only 5 flight attendants to work a full 767-300 so 2 worked in Polaris with the other 3 in the economy cabins. United need to put more crew on this plane if they to compete with AA, DL, and Jet Blue on this lucrative and important route. Next time for me it will Jet Blue in Mint to and from LAX.
RouteLos Angeles to New York JFK
Date FlownJuly 2021

"I received notification that my flight is being postponed"

Not Verified | I was scheduled to depart tonight for a special birthday celebration. Hotel and flight were booked through Priceline, tours and reservations were made and childcare was arranged. This morning I received notification that my flight is being postponed until tomorrow. I called the airline and waited on hold for over 49 minutes. The agent I spoke with was helpful but was unable to get me on another flight. The cancellation notice indicated the flight was changed out of Newark due to possible weather issues or ongoing runway issues. This is the second flight out of Newark that a family member was scheduled on that was cancelled out of Newark, I’m disappointed that airlines have not adjusted schedules if the runway issues are ongoing. I suspect it may be due to labor issues, although airline will not say. The federal government provided monetary relief to airlines to insure that they would be able to run efficiently and maintain business. It’s disappointing to have this happen twice in two months out of Newark with no explanation. I understand things happen, but adjust schedule if the runway work has been disruptive or don’t offer so many flights if you don’t have the staff. Representatives were helpful but no other flight options available that would get us in today so losing hotel money and possibly tours that were arranged if I can’t get reimbursed.
RouteNashville to Newark
Date FlownJuly 2021

"would not recommend this company"

Not Verified | United Airlines delayed our flight for 5 hours in 30 in increments. Then got to Denver and board us and left us in a plane for 45 min with air. We left the plane to be told we were to go to another gate. When we arrived at the gate we were told no. We went back to the original gate and they said “ we made a mistake” I asked why didn’t you come tell us . It too is 20 mins and bother gate agent to find this out. He said “ well now you know. He was a manager at gate A85. I would not recommend this company to anyone.
RouteOklahoma City to Fresno