United Airlines

"our 10pm flight was cancelled"

Not Verified | Newark to Burlington. This is funny, because I can't actually review the flight. What I can review is the United customer service, which was terrible. After multiple delays, our 10pm flight was cancelled for maintenance. We were told to go to a customer service booth across the Newark airport at 1:00 am, but soon found that there was no one at the booth. The gate agent had just led us to a place where no one could help us. I got on the phone with a very kind customer service agent who couldn't help me - all the flights for the next two days were booked. We cancelled our trip entirely and were told that we would get a hotel voucher - but there was no one there. Instead, we ended up trying to find a hotel on our own because they said we could send a receipt in. All the hotels were booked in a 20 mile radius, so we took a lift back to my apartment in Philadelphia, which cost $150. I called the next morning and was assured I would get that money back. I submitted a form, and an agent online assured me that all I had to do was submit another form. I tried to submit that form, couldn't because I didn't have a valid ticket because I had gotten a refund, and called again a month ago - when I was again assured I would get reimbursed. It's been a month and I have heard nothing from them. If you like wasting money, having people tell you nice things with no follow through, and getting stranded in New Jersey, United is your airline. If you want to get to a destination, walking would probably be a more efficient use of your time.
RouteNewark to Burlington
Date FlownJuly 2018

"no longer be traveling United"

Not Verified | San Francisco to San Antonio. I have never know a company that has shot themselves in the foot more consistently than United Airlines when it comes to customer service. My latest experience with United Airlines has pushed my husband and me over the limit. We will no longer be traveling United. The last several times we have booked tickets through United, we have selected our seat assignment, and every every time, United has moved us from our original seats. We have tried changing our seats back on line, with an agent over the phone, and with an agent in person. I am always given an excuse as to why our seats have been changed and why they can not be changed back. Today’s flight was the same, our seats were moved, only this time, my husband and I were seperated. I spoke with an agent who could not help me. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. A supervisor was extremely rude. She was defensive and condescending before she even tried to help. Finally, I was able to explain my situation. She told me the UA website clearly states seat assignments are not gaurenteed. I suggested that choosing seats should be removed from the site. Her answer was, “No that won’t happen, the site says there is no guarantee. Your seat was changed and I can’t change it back.” I asked to speak to her supervisor. Her response, “No, you may not speak to anyone else.” I asked for her name; she refused to give me her last name. I told her I understood that and asked for her employee ID number. She refused to provide any kind of identification. I asked her where her office was located. All should would tell me is that she was in Houston. I am aware that complaining about seating arrangements in first class sounds trite and normally would not warrant a complaint what is most frustrating and unacceptable, is how I was treated by this agent. My husband and I are premeier Silver member who will now be taking our frequent business to other airlines.
RouteSan Francisco to San Antonio
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Very upset with United Airlines"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Fresno via Denver. Very upset with United Airlines. We had a four day trip planned. Both of us had to take days off work without pay. We got to the airport and a flight attendant for United Airlines never showed up. Because of this our flight was delayed 2 hours so we missed our connecting flight. There were no immediate flights to our loaction. We should have been in California by 9.30am, we didn't get there until 4.30pm that day. We lost a whole day of our vacation all because a flight attendant didn't show up, we were punished. I want to see United Airlines make it right and credit us tickets to use in the future. Very displeased and upset. First vacation we have taken in years and we lost a whole day because of one of their employees.
RouteMinneapolis to Fresno via Denver

"I'm not impressed"

Trip Verified | Raleigh Durham to Detroit. Was sat next to a man who took up his own seat and half of mine - aren't passengers like that required to buy 2 seats? Then the flight attendant proceeded to offer the guy (who was much shorter than me and sitting next to a normal sized person) an open seat in the emergency exit row for "more leg room". Did she ignore me on purpose? I'm not impressed.
RouteRaleigh Durham to Detroit
Date FlownOctober 2018

"impressed with the airline"

Trip Verified | London to Houston. This was the 1st time I flew with United and sent them a message on Facebook messenger. an instant reply and after a discussion they kindly upgraded me to an economy Plus. Flew from Dublin to London (LHR) with Aer Lingus and was met a United Representative on disembarking the flight due to my short connection time which was an hour I was fast-tracked through flight connections and security. Instead of walking from the main terminal building I was driven right up to the gate where the United flight was parked. As I entered into the satellite building the boarding staff were professional and took consideration that I was deaf and allowed me to pre-board before everyone else. The aircraft was a Boeing 777-200 reg N78009 and it looked like it was ageing so it was. The seat for 22L was comfortable but as it was a 10-hour flight the extra leg room was worth it for the comfort if you are 6 foot tall like me and it is a good seat as I was happy with the legroom and a good whole window to yourself as seat behind me did not have a window. Despite that, the 20-year-old aircraft (almost as old as I am), the actual flight was smooth no problems was very impressed with the attentiveness of the crew and was well looked after with drinks and snacks for a 10-hour flight. The meal was Thai Green curry and dessert was chocolate ice cream. I was very impressed with the airline, the crew and was beyond expectations for me. I would definitely fly with United again from London (LHR).
RouteLondon to Houston
Date FlownMay 2018

"choose any other airline"

(Puerto Rico)

Trip Verified | United Airlines policy for a flight cancellation or change should be considered usury. I paid for something called ‘flight protection’ which should have protected me in case I needed a cancellation or change. But instead of a refund you get airline credit. Credit you can only use if you spend an additional $200.00. I feel like I’ve been taken advantage of and robbed but have no other choice since I need to make my trip and can’t lose the money I’ve already spent. If you’re flying, choose any other airline, even if you must make stops and can’t fly direct, it’s still better than to fly with United, who will take advantage of you if they have the chance!
RouteSan Juan to Houston
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"carry on classed as excess bag"

Trip Verified | I never have a bad word to say. However for the first time in my life i am going to write a negative review on United Airlines. Firstly I accept responsibility in booking economy ticket and not understanding that I could not take a carry on bag. I was relocating to Florida so i had all my belongings with me. I found out i could not have a carry on and then found out the cost of my carry on would be classed as an excess bag so i would be charged 150 dollars for the smallest bag that i could have put under the seat of my chair on the plane. The supervisor wouldn't help me i asked could i upgrade my ticket so i would be aloud a carry on. One kind lady said she could help me because everyone could tell how ridiculous it was to pay 150 for a tiny carry on. In the end i almost missed my flight while was waiting for the one agent to refund the 150 dollars. I was in tears at this point and none of the agents cared that i was about to miss my flight. Eventually made the flight Took the bag on the plane as a carry on and checked my bank today to find they took the 150 dollars. They put me thru misery and were so rude to me and then i thought well at least they done a nice thing and refunded me the 150 dollars and then i check today and they had put the charge thru afterwards.
RouteBoston to West Palm Beach via Newark
Date FlownOctober 2018

"sitting at the gate for an hour"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Fort Lauderdale. Horrible - every time I fly this airline it takes forever to board, or there’s a issue with the plane resulting sitting at the gate for an hour. I had a business meeting with important clients and I thought I’d give United another chance. Word to the wise if you need to be on time somewhere, use Southwest; fast boarding, and fast take off. If you like waiting on the tarmac, use United.
RouteChicago to Fort Lauderdale

"every time I regret it"

Trip Verified | This is by far the worst airline in the US. I have flown on it multiple times and every time I regret it. The seats are uncomfortable, they always delay and cancel flights and their staff are not helpful at all. Today I arrived at the airport with my sister and asked if I can check in with her. They refused, checked in my bag (under weight) then weighed her bags and realized that hers was over, but by then we didn't have mine to shift the weight. We moved way out of the way and attempted to move things to the carry on, but their employee just stood above us insisting we go to the designated bag opening area and refused to understanding that our flight is close to departure time. Then I literally ran all the way to the gate and told them my sister was on the way and their first response was to look for alternative flights, an option I had to insist on rejecting. Now I'm sitting on the plane and it's not even moving, they're doing maintenance work.
RouteNewark to Detroit
Date FlownOctober 2018

"taking my business elsewhere"

Trip Verified | Denver to Philadelphia. My complaint is with customer service and lack of response. Both my wife and I are Mileage Plus Explorer members for several years and were charged $25 each way for baggage. The process to get reimbursed is now approaching two weeks and nobody with any common sense can correct. $25 each way is not a big deal but can't imagine how a major problem would be handled. As a frequent flyer with United will be taking my business elsewhere and giving away my miles so I don't have to deal with incompetence
RouteDenver to Philadelphia