United Airlines

"Thank you to everyone"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Beijing via San Francisco. My adult son recently took a job in Beijing and chose United Airlines for his trip overseas. He has flown many times in the past and has a deep fear of flying. He will take medication to help calm him during any flights but it is always a struggle. On this trip there were delayed flights due to bad weather conditions in SFO. The first leg of the flight From LAX to SFO had already experienced turbulence and my son was feeling extreme anxiety and fear as he boarded the second flight. Once on board he decided he could not go through with it and went to get off. When he explained to the flight attendant why he was exiting the plane they calmly spoke with him and asked if he would like to meet the flight crew. The pilot and crew were kind enough to take the time to speak to my son about the flight, the years of experience they had and about some of the controls. They assured him he was in good hands. This crew went above and beyond by taking the time to give someone some comforting words and encouragement my son was able to take that flight and fly to Beijing to begin his new career. Much appreciation to this amazing crew!!!! I hope they know what an impact they had on someone else with their kindness and patience. Thank you to everyone at United Airlines.
RouteLos Angeles to Beijing via San Francisco
Date FlownDecember 2019

"seats were completely worn out"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Belize via Houston. For a business class ticket, this was a decidedly economy class experience. There was no higher class of fare on this flight. The seats were completely worn out to the point you could feel the metal bars beneath them. The food was not worthy of a school cafeteria; it was so bad as to be inedible and unrecognizable. I honestly don't know why anyone would give United the extra money for this experience.
RouteSeattle to Belize via Houston
Date FlownNovember 2019

"bait and switch situation"

Not Verified | San Diego to Aspen. Customer service is overseas they are very misleading they do not have the correct information. I called up to ask them prior to purchasing my ticket the difference between a basic ticket and an economy ticket I was told if I pay the difference for the economy ticket that includes one carry-on and one checked in luggage they checked in luggage they tell me for the basic would be $60 round-trip so instead I bought a more expensive ticket for the economy. When I went to check in I found out I didn’t pay for my luggage it was an additional $60. So I should have bought the basic ticket which in the long run would’ve save me quite a bit of money. On Southwest you get a free check in luggage and you don’t have to deal with any of this bait and switch situation. I’m very unhappy.
RouteSan Diego to Aspen

"Terrible experience"

Not Verified | Our flight was cancelled on November 12th to Sydney , after sitting at the gate for over 2 hours we were to get off. We had to then line up at 2am to find hotel arrangements (which were not available and no credit or voucher was given) and to rebook our flights. After another 2 hours of waiting, we were placed on a flight the next day to Houston, to connect to a flight to Australia. With no place to sleep, or rest, we asked to go to the United Lounge, which we had to pay for! At the lounge the attendant advised, (after I voiced my concern about the timing of the next flight) that in fact the flight we were rebooked on would not give us enough time to make our connection, he advised that he could get us on an earlier flight that would allow enough time to connect. Why was this not done in the first place, I asked. No response. Once we finally arrived in Australia, our bags did not arrive with us and it then took another 2 days to receive both bags, with one of the bags being damaged as the handle was ripped off. In the meantime United was very busy charging my credit card without authorization for over $600! We have contacted them repeatedly to resolve these charges and discuss the delay the costs incurred for our accommodations that we never used, and damages, and the response we receive is that due to overwhelming emails and requests, they will only get back to us in 6-8 weeks! The service has been awful and this vacation was our lifelong dream. Terrible experience, time wasted, will never recommend anyone travel United again.!
RouteSan Francisco to Sydney
Date FlownNovember 2019

"forced me to check my carry-on"

Trip Verified | Denver to Boston. The staff forced me to check my carry-on suitcase at the boarding gate. My suitcase is 500 dollars and united broke it last time. When I told them I don't want to check the suitcase because they asked me to check my suitcase at the boarding gate last time and they broke it, the staff threatened me if I don't check my suitcase they have the right to not let me aboard. They said there is no space for my suitcase, but after I am aboard, the rack above my seat was empty. They did not clean the seat at all and there was napkin with gum in it on my seat.
RouteDenver to Boston
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Never fly with United again"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Phoenix. Had to recheck my bags to United due to a delay at Hong Kong and Cathay had booked me a new ticket from my original American Airlines. So the tags were apparently not applicable and I was required to walk outside of the building from terminal 3 to 7 which seemed like a one-mile walk when you are rushing to catch your next flight in a rain. Arrived at the check-in counters and it was so chaotic, people were confused about what to do with checking in the bags or not. Found out I had to pay $400 for two of my checked bags and then claim from AA?! And then stay in line for another 20 mins to drop the bags then another 30 mins to pass the security checkpoint. Never fly with United again.
RouteLos Angeles to Phoenix
Date FlownDecember 2019

"seats are getting worse"

Trip Verified | Salt Lake City to Denver. The seats are getting worse. They shrunk the magazine sleeve so it will barely hold a single item. If given a choice I would avoid this airline for one that still respects their customers comfort.
RouteSalt Lake City to Denver
Date FlownDecember 2019

"great service provided by crew"

Trip Verified | Houston to Cancun. I purchased this business class ticket on Priceline for around $350, that was $50 less than on the United website, the going rate for this itinerary was around $800 on other airlines, so the deal was amazing. This aircraft on the outside looked great, on the inside was another story. Having taken a previous flight on one of United’s A320 earlier in the day, the business class seat and space in the Boeing 737-800W was and felt tight. The airplane was old and with serious signs of wear and tear in the interior. What made up was the great service provided by the crew. United is stepping up service to business class passengers. On this hour and 45 minute flight, I was served lobster mac and cheese, fresh chocolate chip cookies, the aroma in the plane was amazing. Kudos to United for the service to business class passengers at a very affordable price. I’ll be flying again soon!
AircraftBoeing 737-800W
RouteHouston to Cancun

"intentionally misleading"

Trip Verified | Cleveland to Chicago. I have flown on many occasions throughout my career (first class to economy), but this one takes them all. I had attempted to check-in online with United Airlines Unsuccessfully for this very reason: I wanted to check- in two bags. The messages explained that I would have to see one of the United reps. in order to check in and no further explanation was given. I come to find out once I get to the airport and at the check-in counter that I could only check in “one” bag free of charge, but the second bag would cost $30.00. It’s not so much the money vs. how it was handled online. The online message could have simply stated that in order to check in two bags the second one would incur a fee. I would have come to the airport prepared or consolidated everything into one bag. So I ended up paying the $30 and couldn’t argue it because there was about 50 people behind me waiting. I believe the online check-in is intentionally misleading! It should simply explain that a second bag will cost money .. sure that may be mentioned in the fine print but not up front. I feel United Airlines needs to rethink their online check in policy in the way it’s communicated.
RouteCleveland to Chicago
Date FlownNovember 2019

"will never fly United again"

Not Verified | Norfolk to Dallas. Long story short, my 2.20pm flight to Dallas got delayed until 5.15pm with no direct reason. Causing me to miss my connecting flight. Then they told us that they were not flying out anymore that day and we’d have to catch another flight tomorrow. Ruined my entire trip. Now currently waiting on a return flight that was supposed to depart at 11.30am, it is now 12.15pm and again, no reason for delay! No weather issues. 2 plane delays for no reason is unacceptable. I will never fly United again.
RouteNorfolk to Dallas