Ukraine International

"was pleasantly surprised"

Not Verified | Flew Lviv to Kiev. Read some horror stories about Ukraine International, but was pleasantly surprised. Good communication from UIA before departure. I checked in online, but dropped my case off at the desk in Lviv, no problems with anything at al. The counter and gate staff were polite and friendly. The aircraft was clean and fresh, seat comfortable and crew friendly. Arrived and left on time. I will definitely fly with them again next time I go to Ukraine.
RouteLviv to Kiev
Date FlownNovember 2018

"I would highly recommend"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Kiev Borispol. Absolutely fantastic. Booking process and checking in online was swift. The airline was on time and very professional. Cabin crew were very smart and friendly. It’s the first airline I’ve been on that actually served a pint size beer (don’t get wrong that’s no the bee all and end all). Best short haul airline I’ve used. I would highly recommend and would definitely fly with them short or long haul again.
RouteGatwick to Kiev Borispol
Date FlownOctober 2018

"denied entrance onboard the plane"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Stockholm via Kiev. Worst customer service ever, customer protection laws don't work. I was flying from London to Stockholm via Kiev with UIA flights. I checked in London at UIA counter as both flights were with UIA. My cabin luggage was weighed at 7.4kg. I also checked in a bag of 23 kg. As it was warm inside the airport I took off the light coat and a sweater that I used while traveling at night and placed it into the cabin luggage. When boarding the plane traveling to Stockholm I handed my passport and boarding pass to the agent of UIA airlines. After opening my passport, shortly before the departure the UIA agent started to question the size of my cabin luggage. After it became clear that the cabin luggage was within the allowed standard she started to question the weight, measured and informed me that it was 8.4 kg. I objected and informed her that I just arrived from London where my hand luggage was checked by the same airline but I agreed to pay and I noted to her that the plane was departing shortly. Instead she informed me that the bus for the plane was just leaving and she denied entrance onboard the plane. It is noteworthy that meanwhile other passengers that had the same amount of cabin luggage were allowed on the plane. The agent demanded and forced other employees sign the protocol while they objected at the beginning. I have never encountered such unethical, discriminatory and unprofessional behavior and violation of customer rights. Please note that rescheduling the flight for any other day with them was more costly than direct British airways flight the same day. I had to purchase the tickets with another airline (Polish LOT) and traveled to Stockholm through Warsaw the same day at the cost of 200 USD. Note there were absolutely no issues with my hand luggage with LOT airlines. I filed a complaint the next day and after so many months there was nothing but only acknowledgement of the receipt of the complaint. Such approach towards customers is shaming the country and negatively impacts the image of the country. Do not have an illusion that its a budget airline, it is not and their unprofessionalism is exceptional.
RouteGatwick to Stockholm via Kiev
Date FlownMay 2018

"gross negligent handling"

Trip Verified | Paris CDG to Odessa via Kiev. This is the first time ever I am leaving a review anywhere but I feel compelled to share this story so as to hopefully save others from similar gross negligent handling of air travel that we experienced from Paris to Kiev with Ukrainian Airlines. My wife and I were departing CDG / Paris to Kiev where we were supposed to land in time to catch Ukrainian Airlines flight to Odessa. The pilot decided to wait over 1.5 hours for a handicapped / obese person who eventually never made the flight. This stupendous error in judgement cost us as well as our other passengers a significant delay that caused us to miss our flight to Odessa. The mathematical logic is inconceivable. Approximately 125 passengers aboard flight PS128 = 187.5 lost hours – all so 1 single person could be late for their flight? Those who fly often know that you don’t make the gate 10 minutes before departure – the plane leaves – that simple. So why did the pilot wait over 1.5 hours for 1 person? In addition to forcing us to miss our flight – we also had the displeasure of awaiting over an hour for our luggage. Then we were informed that no other flights would be departing Kiev until 9.21.18 which would cost us our only time for my wife to see her family. The only option would be to endure a 5 hour taxi ride from Kiev to Odessa – all at 23:00. The biggest insult, however, was found in the capricious - could care less - attitude witnessed when the any Ukrainian Airline Employee was approached with the situation by passengers looking for options of what could be done to correct this - and at such a late hour. They were simply void of any degree of empathy or interest to remedy the situation. At last resort, we were told to take a taxi for 5 hours and they assured us we would be reimbursed. Several months later, we received a message which denies all claims because a flight had been offered - 4 days later - at the end of our trip to Ukraine. Useless.
RouteParis CDG to Odessa via Kiev
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"excellent considering low price"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Krakow to New Delhi via Kiev. Tasty meals on board, no flights delay, no baggage lost. On time flights and no issues at all - service was excellent considering low price for the ticket.
RouteKrakow to New Delhi via Kiev
Date FlownNovember 2018

"disorganized and poorly trained"

Trip Verified | New York to Yerevan via Kiev. When we booked, there was no USA phone number for UIA. I called Ukraine (international rates) several times to ask questions before and after booking. Some agents spoke poor English. I made a booking and purchased the tickets. I paid extra for selected seats, and was okay with this. I had more questions and had to call Ukraine each time. I learned that they obtained a USA phone number. However, those UIA agents would only handle new bookings and would not help with existing bookings. Very strange and disrespectful. I also used e-mail to contact UIA several times. The responses indicated that several agents did not carefully read or respond to my e-mails. At JFK, the agent changed our seats without asking or telling us why. I said that we wanted the original seats that we paid for, and she said it was too late without explanation. I said that we paid for them. She said that she had no information about that. I said that I wanted my money back, and she said that she couldn’t provide a refund. On one of the flights, we ordered food. I paid $22 USD. The prices were in Euros and I paid in USD. They charged me a higher than expected USD amount and they had no conversion rate. Whatever conversion rate the cabin crew used, it was out of line with the bank conversion rates. In the UIA booklet is the statement “Please ensure you receive a receipt for your purchases” in bold typeface. I asked the cabin crew for a receipt for the $22 USD we paid. They could not understand English. I showed them this sentence printed in their own UIA booklet. The cabin crew couldn’t read the airline’s own printed material that was in the aircraft cabin! I found a passenger who spoke both English and Ukrainian, and that person explained what the sentence in the UIA booklet meant. They then gave me a receipt that I am looking at, and it does not show $22 USD in any way, shape or form!? No conversion rate and no understandable receipt for what we paid. Bad business practices. The agent in Tbilisi tried to charge us for our third bag. Our tickets included two free 50-pound bags per person. The agent said that there was only one free bag per person and wanted to charge us more. I had to dig out my paperwork and prove her wrong. With electronic tickets, paperwork is not needed. However, when an employee wrongly charges extra fees, a first for me, the passenger must have everything in writing. It is not comfortable for my wife to walk long distances, so she asked for wheelchair rides to the gate. However my wife was able to stand and walk on, off and around the planes without difficulty, and the UIA staff saw that. However, because of the wheelchair request, the UIA staff would not let my wife have the window seats she paid for. This was ridiculous. I was a pilot for 39 years. My experience is that passengers who can walk on and off the plane can sit anywhere expect for emergency row seats. In fact, passengers with limited mobility were intentionally placed at windows so that they could not block other passengers. UIA does the opposite? My perception is that the UIA staff members at every level were very disorganized and poorly trained, and they provided poor customer service. In summary, we had a very bad set of experiences flying with UIA.
RouteNew York to Yerevan via Kiev

"great experience"

Trip Verified | Warsaw to New York via Kiev. Had a great experience with UIA. This is the only airline I fly with when traveling from US to Ukraine or even Europe. They have a great business class product no delays. Flight attendants were super friendly and attractive. Food provided was excellent. I recommend UIA
RouteWarsaw to New York via Kiev

"The worst airline ever"

(Belarus)

Trip Verified | Vilnius to Munich via Kiev. The worst airline ever. Tactless rude workers at the gate. (Borispol, Kiev) I was transporting an expensive art work to the exhibition and was out of the size for 10 cm. Employees proposed me to fold it into four parts and put into the backpack, or to leave it in a trash. They were enjoying the situation. I am disgusted and pissed on that company. Second my experience with them is that they cancelled my back flight because I was late on the second part of my first flight, without letting me know. They refused to pay me the road back and were saying that this is my fault. I had to travel via bus one day longer because of them. And they stay ok with the situation, like no fault at all. I recommend to avoid that horrible airline. Ukrainian service is Worst ever.
RouteVilnius to Munchen via Kiev
Date FlownOctober 2018

"was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Kiev to Tbilisi return. The fare rules are very clear, the website is informative. We booked the seats we wanted, and checked in online. The aircraft is new, seats are actually pretty comfortable. I don't care if I don't get food on a short haul flight, I just want a comfortable seats. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised.
RouteKiev to Tbilisi
Date FlownApril 2018

"did not perform any of its duties"

(Iran)

Not Verified | Vienna to Tehran via Kiev. Never Again I Fly with this Airline. The flight cancelation caused me great difficulties. The airline provided minimal information and facilities to us and even the airline representatives were not present. No lounge or hotel was provided to us and i was forced to spend the night until late at the airport and then took a (taxi) to a friend's house. UIA did not perform any of its duties toward passengers of this flight and caused us very uncomfortable situation. According to the EU passenger right laws, they should provide hotel for their passengers for staying at night. I wrote letter for them but i didn’t receive reply.
RouteVienna to Tehran via Kiev