Ukraine International

"lied to, threatened and scammed"

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to New York via Kiev. I was lied to, threatened and scammed by the Ukrainian International staff at Kiev airport, who tried their very best to charge me 150 Euros for hand luggage they claimed was too large (this was a connecting flight, from Kiev to New York, and the luggage was the standard carry on size that was fully approved and included in the ticket price during the first leg of the flight, from Tel Aviv to Kiev). Right before boarding the plane of the connecting flight, they put up another barrier at the gate consisting of three Ukrainian staff whose sole job was to scam passengers for 150 Euros per bag. Like many other airlines, they were equipped with luggage-size boxes, used to determine whether your baggage exceeded the permitted size. The woman seemed to be letting some passengers with luggage identical to ours through without any bother, but selecting foreigners to try and fleece them for 150 Euros on the spot. The lady asked my friend Jane to put her carry on it the box, she did. It fit in the box perfectly, since it was the standard carry on size sold everywhere for precisely that purpose. "Your luggage is too big," claimed the lady, and pointed to a yellow line going literally down the middle of the box, saying that the baggage was too big if it wasn't behind that line. In other words, the luggage had to be half the size in order to be considered a carry on (notwithstanding that it was literally the standard, minimum size of all carry on luggage, with which they were letting all other passengers through without a hitch). This was a blatant lie right to our faces, and we were both told we needed to pay an undisclosed fee to have our bags checked. The woman blocked the entrance bodily, and wave through other passengers with identical bags through as she forbid us entry. The flight was leaving soon, and the woman said we would not be permitted to board if we didn't pay the fee. "We have a dog in the cargo," I told her (this was true). "We’ll leave the dog here too,” the staff exclaimed. “You want that?” She picked up a phone, clearly faking that she could call someone to fish our dog out of the cargo hold at the request of this bottom level employee. “Boarding ends in one minute,” she said. Holding the phone to her ear and pretending she was ready to dial, “what do you want to do with the dog?” Rapidly, she got out a credit card scanner and put it in front of us. “Just 150 Euros for the oversized bag,” she told us. “But there’s two of us, and our bags are an identical size,” I said. “So you’re giving us a discount, then?” “Yes, a discount,”. By this time, her manager arrived at the ruckus we were causing. “This is blatant robbery,” I said, appealing to her. “Looks what’s happening here.” I pointed to the bags and waved my phone with the e-ticket on it. “These bags are included in our tickets. They literally don’t sell luggage smaller than this. What makes them too big!?” Show us." She couldn't reply. We were last to board the half empty plane.
RouteTel Aviv to New York via Kiev
Date FlownMay 2019

"another scam to make more money"

Trip Verified | Kiev to New York, Something has changed or maybe I got lucky before but they added some measures to make more money. I arrived 2 hours early stood in line to check in. Guy says they charge additional money so go to self check in. I go to self check-in and it says closed. I go back to the counter and they said 15 euros. No big deal, just another scam to make more money. Another customer had a backpack. Airline said it was too big, have to pay another 30 euros. Ukraine airline is pathetic with these schemes for exploit people.
RouteKiev to New York
Date FlownMay 2019

"deliberate scam from the airline"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Bangkok via Kiev. Beware plane type change on their long haul routes. I got a very tempting economy ticket offer from UIA on route HEL-BKK (only 150 euros one way base fare) on their B777. Shortly after booking I was offered to upgrade to business class for an extra 280 euros and I pulled the trigger knowing the good reviews on their business class on B777. I thought that a long haul business class ticket at this kind very low price was almost too good to be true, which turned out to be exactly what it was. However, about two weeks before the departure I got an email notifying about schedule change for one hour earlier departure time in Kiev. That was all the information which was given. At this point I should have already guessed the reason for it. Everything went smoothly as expected until I stepped onboard the plane which was charged for their much older B767 type in Kiev. These planes are known to have very bad reviews for their comfort, not only in economy but also in the business class which is comparable to today's premium economy class at its best (e.g. seats are reclining nowhere near flat as in the the B777). Not only these old planes have very noisy cabin for modern standards, they also are slower which means longer flight time (hence the advanced departure time), not to speak of such luxuries as in-flight entertainment, adjustable air ventilation or wifi connection. The cabin temperature was also unbearable high and I had to notify about it to the cabin crew several times before they adjusted it to the lowest possible level (according to them), which meant that the lavatory and cabin crew resting area in front of the business class cabin went extremely cold (undoubtedly the reason why the crew wanted to keep it higher). There were a couple of small children which were screaming all the time and would not settle to sleep until the cabin temperature got lower and the mothers were told about the disturbance they were causing (which the cabin crew reluctantly finally did). Needless to say that even after that there were no question to get any real sleep due to the horrible cabin noise and limited recline of the seats. I am absolutely certain that the airline was completely aware of the plane type change well in advance and that was the real reason for the advertised cheap fare price. I call this a deliberate scam from the airline. This a certain way to lose returning customers so all in all never again UIA.
RouteHelsinki to Bangkok via Kiev
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"You should be ashamed"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Stockholm to Kiev with Ukraine International. I had the same experience as that of the "airline is an absolute rip-off" review. Advice - When flying with this company - make sure to enter your email address in the check-in form. If you don't, your boarding pass will not be accessible with less than 2 hours to departure, and you will have to a fee of 15€ for every person in the booking, just for the personnel to print the damn boarding pass. You can not even login by booking reference to download the boarding pass to you cell phone when it is less than 2 hours to departure. The check-in procedure is built in a way that makes it easy to forget to enter the email address, since the email field appears after the check-in success message - so its pretty clear this is a method to rip off stressed / unobservant customers. Thank you very much indeed. Extremely bad service UIA. You should be ashamed.
RouteStockholm to Kiev

"Staff absolutely incompetent"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to New York via Kiev. Worst service I have ever encountered. Staff absolutely incompetent, disrespectful, lack of English skills - they have no clue what they are doing. Ground service was a catastrophe. Absolutely discourage you from flying with Ukraine International. I booked my flight last minute and this was the cheapest one. You absolutely get what you pay for. Terrible experience.
RouteFrankfurt to New York via Kiev
Date FlownApril 2019

"airline is an absolute rip-off"

Trip Verified | This airline is an absolute rip - off. I had tried to check- in online (thus choosing my seat and saving time) but is was impossible even to find my reservation (probably due to the fact that I was traveling with 3 other passengers , all tickets having even booked under the same reference). At the airport counter we are told that since we did not check - in online, we have to pay 15 euros for issuance of the boarding passes. I show my smartphone to the employee with the airline app duly downloaded and explain that I could not access my booking but she would not accept any explanation so I had to pay the fee. This airline enjoys an almost monopoly status in the national air market so it takes advantage of it by applying abusive commercial methods that should not be allowed. It penalizes passengers who do not necessarily have internet access.
RouteKiev to Odessa
Date FlownApril 2019

"discourage you to fly with UIA"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Kiev to Ankara. Uncomfortable seats, no service on a 2-hour flight, poor english skills from cabin crew. A rude UIA staff lady asked me to pay 80 euros because my second cabin bag did not meet the size requirements of the airline. I was entitled to carry a 7kg bigger item and a smaller one of 5 kg. Although I met the weight requirements, this lady was not convinced. That being said, after 4 attempts to rearrange my clothes and my personal items, putting a lot of my stuff inside my pockets and making my small cabin bag fit in, another gate agent let me in. Such details make the difference between airlines! I strongly discourage you to fly with UIA.
RouteKiev to Ankara

"worst plane company"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Istanbul via Kiev. The worst plane company I've seen ever. Just one 7kg bag and the crew checking in bad forms with the passenger. Crew plane really disgusting, never will repeat with them.
RouteMadrid to Istanbul via Kiev

"not the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Berlin via Kiev. The info on their website was clear, I downloaded the app and could check in without any trouble. The bag allowance was on my boarding screenshot so not sure why other people were complaining that it was unclear how much to take along. Also 7 kg + 5 kg cabin baggage was very good in comparison with some airlines. The seat room was decent especially in the 777. Entertainment ok not that much choice. Alcohol for additional cost but I couldn’t be bothered. Food was nothing special but not that bad. Overall a decent option for very little money. For sure not the worst airline I flew with.
RouteBangkok to Berlin via Kiev

"offers poor value"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Yerevan via Kiev. For an airline charging full price Ukraine International offers poor value. A hot meal & water, juice, coffee is provided on long haul flights but meals must be paid for on shorter flights. No free alcohol. Cabin service is ok. Entertainment system is basic but ok. Ground service in Kiev is appalling. I missed my connection & had to spend 24 hours airside with nowhere to sleep and only 1 meal voucher. Very difficult to contact airline staff. In addition my bag was misplaced but delivered after 36 hours.
AircraftBoeing 777-200 / E195