Turkish Airlines

Turkish Airlines customer review

My wife and I flew from Istanbul to Abu Dhabi on flight TK 0868 on Thur 17 Oct 2013. It had been a great holiday but the flight out was a real let down. For inexplicable reasons our seats were in a hot zone in the plane and we felt like we were being subjected to some sort of in-flight sauna! We did ask the flight attendant (twice in fact) if she could let the flight engineer know of our discomfort. Nothing changed and our four hour flight was awful (not helped by the fact that my wife already felt under the weather). The staff member to whom we reported the fault appeared genuinely sympathetic but although the rear seats in the plane did get cooler we sweltered the whole trip. I think Turkey's a great place and would like to visit it again - but I will not travel on Turkish airlines again.

Turkish Airlines customer review

LHR-IST-DAC. LHR-IST in cramped A320 rushed and poor service with cabin crew having very poor English skills. Crew forgot to serve our row and when this was pointed out was shown palm as she was 'busy' and would deal with it when she had time. Finally got meal served 45 minutes later than other passengers. On arrival at Istanbul TK ground staff showed indifference to questions asked about the complimentary 'TourIstanbul' offer for long transits indicating I would have to find out at my own initiative if I could avail it and that they would not be able to provide any advise! Ataturk Airport is busy but has a good selection of duty free and some nice lounges. IST-DAC on leased Meridiana Aircraft. Terrible flight poor service. However flight departed on time and arrived early. I had no in-seat entertainment console/remote as it had been ripped off its place I assume hence was unable to view inflight entertainment - did not miss much it was only 5 channels of not-so-new movies. Cabin crew were lax with security and the service was very poor. TK takes pride in their 'Turkish Hospitality' but I found the hospitality of theirs quite poor to be truthful. I certainly will not be flying with them again. TK is no competition for the likes of EK QR or even BA for that matter.

Turkish Airlines customer review

My partner and I flew on TK 1035 from IST-BUD on 20th September 2013. We board and I have the window my partner the middle seat and a very large passenger sits in the aisle. Had to have an extension seat belt and spilled over into my partner's seat. We paid AUD 553 each for the one way trip. I'm only 162cm and I felt squashed.

Turkish Airlines customer review

Our family of five adults recently traveled from Los Angeles (LAX) to IST to DAR and back. The new lounge in IST is gorgeous! The LAX-IST legs were excellent: comfortable seats attentive staff good food. The IST-DAR legs were only fair: seat controls didn't work staff was less than attentive food was mediocre. But the biggest problem we had was with the online reservation system. Even though I had printouts of the electronic tickets the system kept saying we had not booked and did not allow me to check in. Worse than that the ground personnel had a lot of trouble checking us in. By using the electronic ticket numbers (and not the confirmation code which said our reservations didn't exist) the agent could see our reservation but not check us in or print out boarding passes. Very frustrating! Finally they figured out a work-around and we were able to board.

Turkish Airlines customer review

I flew Turkish Airlines for the first time recently and was very impressed. I just flew shorter flights between Athens and Istanbul and Izmir and Istanbul but found the cabin crew to be professional and gracious and even on a one hour regional flight still received a meal of a whole grain roll with cheese green lettuce and tomato with some yoghurt as well. After flying United with its deathly pale iceberg lettuce and overcooked food on a long flight it was really refreshing! Maybe I was on the newer planes but they were so clean and with individual screens even on shorter flights. Great experience.

(Pakistan)

Travelled from ISB to IST and return in January 2013. I would never fly TK again to Turkey. I would rather take the middle eastern carriers. The flight lasted 6 hours and there was no IFE. The cabin crew were not too friendly either and they just kept to themselves. Food however was good. Overall a really bad experience. Will not travel with them again unless they improve their service on this route.

Turkish Airlines customer review

TLV to IAH - totally different experience than the outbound trip two weeks earlier. TLV to IST took off 45 minutes late. A group of us (16 people) with a 1 hour IST connection to the IST-IAH flight were assured we will make our flight (as we were earlier told by the agent after buying the ticket). Upon landing in IST we were gathered and made to run across the terminal to our IST-IAH fanlight only to find out someone probably forgot to ask for this flight to be held for us (despite what we were told). The flight was already in the air. Lots of confusion and lack of initiative led to a 3 hours fiasco before we were rescheduled for the next day's flight. We were taken to a hotel (Radisson). Kosher food was not available and food that was provided was poor at best. Next day flight IST to IAH took off 3 hours late while we were sitting in the cabin with no food or drinks (see previous posts - same experience). Food on the return leg was not as good as on the outbound leg. Bottom line - not sure all the above was worth the troubles. I will have to think long and hard before flying with THY again.

Turkish Airlines customer review

IAH to TLV - great flights on time. Layover in IST too long in this small airport but bearable. They served the signature Turkish Rahat Lokum (Turkish Delight) at IAH to all passengers in the lobby and gate areas. Free alcohol in economy during the flights and very nice crew - talking to customers with respect.

(Thailand)

Dalaman to LHR no problems with the 5 am flight until IST passport control. 1 and 2 had at least 500 people queuing but because I was economy class got barred from business class fast track check so had to push in or miss the 7.55 to LHR. Got to plane with 5 mins to spare got seated and had 3 seats to myself. Just before take off captain announces a big delay and everyone had to get off. He said LHR was fog bound so a 2 hrs delay so back to departure lounge where 3 members of staff proceeded to shout out passenger names to the 200+ passengers so we could retrieve our boarding passes. This was chaos and very unprofessional. 2.5 hr wait then back on the plane where another 150 passengers appeared from nowhere to fill all seats then another 1 hour wait on the tarmac with no explanations before take off - total 3.5 hours delay with no food or drinks. It looks to me that I and the original passengers were held up for 3.5 hours waiting for the plane to fill up.

(Israel)

LOS-IST-TLV. One word: Terrible. B737-900 LOS-IST. No air conditioning at LOS airport and drinks are not allowed into gate. By the time you board most passengers are very thirsty. Requests for water were shrugged off with the response "later". How can you refuse water to thirsty passengers. After take off painfully slow dinner service and a small plastic cup with water served. Of course it's not enough. Again FA would not supply more water. I even went to the galley pointed at a full bottle of water and asked for some. Again I was told to return to my seat water will come later. I approached the inflight manager to complain and situation improved. Poor English by pilots and FA's couldn't understand any announcements. No soap in toilets with nothing to dry wet hands on. Smiles from the crew were out of the question. Food was ordinary can't understand where all the fuss about their food in Economy class comes from. Maybe from flights outside Africa. Flight to TLV slightly better crew all in all cant judge all flights they operate but for me it was the last time on TK.