Turkish Airlines

"downward shift in service"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Lisbon via Istanbul. Check-in at KL airport refused to acknowledge the (extra legroom) seat payment made when flights were booked, despite my showing them the receipt & seat allocation. I have been flying with Turkish Airlines for over 10 years & have always regarded them as the premium airline internationally. Not any more. Seats have become more constricted - limited legroom, especially when the person in front reclines their seat! The food standard has declined substantially & punctuality of flights has become chaotic! Ground service is too often dismissive and unethical - inflight service is most often good. I think that their inability to retain the high standard set years ago has exemplified the downward shift in service - everything from airport checkin to responsibility for the Airlines' failure to meet timelines and provide compensation.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Lisbon via Istanbul
Date FlownApril 2019

"airline is going down fast"

(Turkey)

Not Verified | Istanbul to Dublin. The move to the New Istanbul Airport has been a complete disaster from the get go. Nobody knows what is going on out there, the staff are new and extremely unhelpful and the general experience is grating from start to end. The airport is far to large to navigate conveniently and the quality of construction out there is disgraceful. So many corners cut to satisfy unrealistic schedules. It looks 20 years old already and I shudder to think what it will look like in only 5 years more. The transport links to the city do not exist and it's a consistent 30 minutes taxi from gate to take off. Avoid transiting with TA at all costs when their direct competitors in the ME are so far ahead for quality and service it is hard to believe. This giant white elephant airport is doomed to fail. These thoughts are in addition to the horrendous customer service I endured today while traveling with two small children and no partner. We had unforeseen delays at immigration of almost 1 hour yet (the only photocopy station is 300 yards away). Turkish Airlines shrugged their shoulders saying there was no way they could call the gate and let them know we were on the way. We ran the 15 mins to the gate and missed it by 2 mins. They then delay the flight to remove all our bags. You couldn't make the incompetence up. No effort, shrugged shoulders. Typical. The general Turkish Airlines service is appalling, despite being a top level frequent flyer. I fly them because I have to but I would choose any, literally other option going forward. That airline is going down fast and the airport is also sinking (literally)
RouteIstanbul to Dublin
Date FlownJune 2019

"don't care about passenger safety"

(Afghanistan)

Trip Verified | On our Turkish Airlines flight from Tel Aviv to Istanbul, April 20, 2019 I experienced an incident as we were deboarding. There was a young woman who was speaking very loudly with her group. Thinking nothing of it, I stood up to get off the plane. A minute later she puts BOTH hands and me and shoves me to the side – into the seats - to get to her group. I can handle a little push, scootch past - but a two-handed forceful shove is too much. I told her to chill out and wait. She started yelling at me in another language (I don’t know which), taunting me and laughing at the back of my head - with her group laughing too. As we were getting off the plane, she was directly behind me and I stopped and informed the young female flight attendant stationed at the back of the plane that this woman - pointing to her - just forcefully pushed me with both hands. Flight attendant - no kidding - shrugged her shoulders and said "So?" Thinking she didn't understand, I repeated it. The FA then laughed aloud and said clearly "Well, what do you want me to do about it?" I said "You are telling me that I can punch someone on this flight and you will do nothing?" She laughed and again said "What can I do?". This was in front of my husband, the woman who pushed me and one of her companions. Shocked I got off the plane and at the bottom of the stairs I explained the situation to the ground crew and the Turkish Airlines Security that was on the ground to get us on the bus to take us to the gate. They told me "Tell it to Customer Service in the airport." Still stunned I argued and questioned "You aren't going to do anything?" They said "Get on the bus." At the terminal, I went to the customer Service and once they found someone who spoke even high school English I was told - no kidding - to call Customer Service. I could not believe this. Again, I said “I have spoken to the flight crew, security, ground crew, customer service but you are telling me I need to call customer service. I'm talking to you now!" They said No. I said "OK, can I use your phone?" They laughed (so much laughing in this experience) and said "We don't have a phone." At no point did a Turkish Airlines employee say to me - "Are you OK? " Not once. I then stood to the side and called Customer Service thinking Someone at this company has to care about passenger safety. Wrong. When I called - I am not kidding - they told me to go online and submit a Feedback form!! Which I did. Getting no response in the 1st 24 hours I called after no response after 48 hours. Again TA was rude and just told me to wait. I said "So you are telling me that after being physically accosted on your flight, after having spoken to the flight crew, security, ground crew, customer service at the airport and customer service on the phone - all of whom did nothing - that now I should wait 2-7 days for an email?” I finally got an answer from Turkish Airlines today which read "In our investigation we corresponded with related department. We could not detect any inconviences (sic) regarding your feedback." I have written again & again & each time they tell me that no one corroborates my story. They never asked if I was OK, apologized for the inconvenience, spoke to the woman who forcefully pushed me, asked me my name, wrote anything down – nothing. They simply don't care about passenger safety or customer service.
RouteTel Aviv to Istanbul
Date FlownMarch 2019

"a really bad experience"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Barcelona via Istanbul. Wow, what a terrible experience we had flying Turkish. Out of AD we never got offered a drink after taking off, we were asked what we wanted for breakfast thinking it would be served before landing as take off was at 1.45am. Then an emergency medical issue on board meant we diverted and landed. Offloaded the pax which took a total of 90 minutes to do so. The cabin "chief" never informed us as to what was happening or anything. They were the most unprofessional crew I have seen in an emergency and on the PA system couldn't understand a word of what they were saying. Everyone missed connections and we sat around 8 hours in Istanbul. Then onto Barcelona, we asked for cabin socks only to be told that they were not issuing them on that flight so slept for the entire 3.30 mins. Again couldn't understand a word of what the "chief" was saying. Overall, a really bad experience, not business class in any way shape or form. Turkish Airlines really needs to work on this because service was terrible, food was not good and drinks were not offered at all. Give them a big miss to save yourself grief. Never again
AircraftA321 / A330
RouteAbu Dhabi to Barcelona via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2019

"Poor service from staff"

(Ghana)

Trip Verified | Accra to New York via Istanbul. I missed my connecting flight to New York at Istanbul airport because Turkish Airlines delayed by an hour or more. I was scheduled for the 1pm flight. At 1pm they make us go through security checks and without announcing or informing us, they pack their equipments and leave. We had to go to the counter before we were I formed that our flight has again been changed to 5:30pm. No one, i mean no one saw it fit to announce the change to us. I then requested to speak to their manager or supervisor and was directed to another Turkish airline desk. staff here state they have no manager, i even exclaimed ‘how can you work here and not know your manager or supervisor’. I eventually met a gentleman who said he is the supervisor but has closed for the day, when i asked who he handed over to, he replied that i wait 10mins after he is gone then proceed to the counter to ask who the new supervisor is. I just lost it at this point. Poor service from staff, it’s as though they attend a class on how to be rude to customers. Flights delayed without the courtesy to inform us. No wifi service after an hour, hence our families were in the dark as to the status of our flight. In conclusion, i will rather walk than board another Turkish airline flight. Management and staff should be ashamed of the service they provide.
RouteAccra to New York via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2019

"blatant deception I've been exposed"

Trip Verified | New York to Doha via Istanbul. The flight was comfortable and good value. The food was very simple and not plenty, but good quality. In-flight services were ok. But my suitcase was damaged and I did not get a refund. The problem is not the value of the suitcase in itself but the level of blatant deception I've been exposed to, something I had never seen before in 20 years of flying. If you fly Turkish Airlines and everything goes fine, all is good. But if your luggage gets damaged during the trip, be prepared to be treated as if it's none of their business, as with a low-cost airline. I feel lucky that the luggage was not lost at least. Here is what happened. First, the company claimed that the suitcase was already damaged when I had checked it in. In fact, I packed my coat into the suitcase in front of the check in desk right before dropping it, so I am absolutely sure that the suitcase was not damaged then. Someone replaced the label on the suitcase after the check it to mark it as already damaged at check in. The airline actually has a record of this in their system so the customer service staff could verify that this happened and issue a refund, but they never bothered. Upon my arrival in Doha, I have not had a chance to talk to the airline staff directly, so I was told by the airport staff to open a complaint by sending an email to the address of the airline's local office. That email was never replied. I talked to the airline staff when I flew back and contacted the customer service, which just resulted in a long series of interactions in which staff will tell you to just wait and file complaints after complaints until you give up.
RouteNew York to Doha via istanbul
Date FlownMarch 2019

"seats were comfortable"

Trip Verified | Istanbul to Birmingham. Very happy with my flight. It was on time, seats were comfortable, plenty of choice on the IFE and the food was excellent. Cabin crew were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely use Turkish again
RouteIstanbul to Birmingham

"Food was great"

(Ukraine)

Trip Verified | Istanbul to Paris. Spotless experience and better than expected. Web-site was easy to book and check in. Airport check in took 1 min. Boarding organized by zones and fast. Cabin was spotless and seat comfortable. Entertainment system worked fine on the first flight, but was oldish on the second. When I tried to charge my phone on the second leg, the USB and power port were out of order. The purse took my phone and charged it at other outlet. Food was great, bar service generous. Toilets were spotless and amenities included toilet water. Crew attentive. Legroom fine. My second flight was around 30 min late due to storm over Istanbul. Bag on the belt in 20 min. 5 days after flight I received an email from customer relations with apologies for malfunctioning power port (crew reported it!) and 2500 miles to my account. I recommend TK and remain their loyal customer. Bad thing: Internet connection was out of order on the both flights. Not a big deal though.
AircraftA330-200
RouteKiev to Paris via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2019

"rude and lacked any empathy"

(Ukraine)

Trip Verified | Kiev to Male via Istanbul. Two days lost and headaches all the way to our wedding. Horrible experience from start to finish with Turkish Airlines on our wedding/honeymoon trip from Kiev to Maldives. Sorry for the lengthy post. I will try to make it as concise as possible. Website and Mobile App issues: After creating my online profile, I needed to update my name to include my middle name, as it shows on my passport. Once my tickets were issued from Expedia, Turkish Airlines website and App couldn’t link the ticket to my Miles&Smiles profile because of the name discrepancy. It took several calls and emails to support, and even now it still shows my first name and middle name combined. Couldn’t update my rewards number: I mistakenly had the wrong Miles&Smiles number on my Expedia account when I purchased the tickets (copy/pasted without the last digit). Turkish airlines couldn’t update my ticket with the correct rewards number. Sure, it was my mistake, but it seemed like a simple request to update my ticket. Flight schedule change: Our flight times from IST to MLE on April 30th change from arriving at 11:50am to arriving 12:15pm, which was not a big deal, but logging into their website and App the system asked me to confirm the change, cancel the flight, or change the flight. There was no option to confirm the change. I couldn’t change my flight (which was free of charge). Every time I’d select the new flight arriving in MLE at 12:15, the system would say it couldn’t find a flight with that time. I made several calls to Turkish Airlines support, and they never helped me clarify if I was confirmed on the changed flight. The best they could do was tell me to contact Expedia and have them re-issue tickets. Between Turkish Airlines and Expedia support, I must have made a half dozen calls regarding this. By the end, Turkish airlines best response was that “everything should be fine”. All I wanted to know is that everything IS fine”. Cancelled flight from KBP to IST: As we were about to board our flight from KBP to IST on April 29th at 9:30pm, we were told at the gate that our flight was cancelled. • It took 6 hours to stand in line for new tickets. Calling customer support, the guy was rude and told me to just wait in line. When calling Expedia’s Gold customer support to get me a new flight, they were unable to assist because the Turkish Airlines flight was not showing an updated status, and that the flight was still on-time. Expedia could have helped me get new tickets, but they just needed to confirm the flight was cancelled. Expedia even called Turkish Airlines to get updates, and Turkish Airlines was unable to give them the cancelled status. So, after several calls to Turkish airlines and Expedia, we just continued to wait in line. We eventually got new tickets to IST, which left Kiev at 10am the next day (April 30th) and arrived in IST at 12pm. However, our connection from IST to MLE was at 1:00am that morning on April 30th, arriving in MLE at 12:15pm. The next flight from IST to MLE was at 4:15am on May 1st arriving in MLE at 2:20pm. • Turkish Airlines did put us up in a hotel for a few hours, since our new departure wasn’t unto 4:15am the next day. But, the customer service representatives in IST airport were all rude and lacked any empathy. The hotel (Ibis Hotel) was a 1-hour drive from the airport The room was dirty. Sheets stained. Hair and bead trimmings in bathroom I had to pay for a visa ($30, not a big deal)
RouteKiev to Male via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2019

"debited the double the amount"

(Poland)

Not Verified | I booked flights on Turkish Airlines for my wife and myself. Without reason, they debited the double the amount. During one month, it was impossible to contact them and to have a clear answer by email, by phone or even on Facebook. They always repeated the same sh*t and nothing change. Finally, I directly called the customer service from Geneva airport and they gave to me an email where to explain my situation. After 10 emails with them, they finally refund my ticket, but not the one of my wife. They ask her to sign documents that she agree that the amount will be refund on my account, which makes no sense as I paid both tickets with my credit card. Anyway, its been 2 months now and the issue is still not resolved. I honestly never had an experience like that without any other company.
RouteIstanbul to Tokyo