Turkish Airlines

"To me, that sounds like a scam"

Trip Verified | I had bought tickets for my flight from San Francisco to Kyiv via Istanbul in advance. Few days before the flight day I had called to Turkish Airline Customer service to double-check if everything has changed about my flight and the representative told me that they got only small updates about my way back tickets. They have changed the time for 5 minutes later and the airport. She did not mention anything else about my upcoming flight to Kyiv. After arriving at the airport to Istanbul I came to the Turkish airline front desk to ask them about the hotel service. Since my layout time is 13 hours they supposed to offer me to stay in the hotel, and for this reason, I have chosen this airline. It is their written policy. I’ve been waiting in the line for about 30 minutes. The representative told me that there is some update on my flight, they have alternative flight that is sooner than 13 hours and they cannot offer me the hotel, but at the same time they cannot offer me a new ticket to the alternative flight; moreover, I must pay extra money for that ticket. They changed the airport of arrival so why do I need to pay in this case? Is it legal at all? I just want to mention that when I was booking my tickets these 13 hours connection time and old airport were the only options. Their system does not show any other flights. After I have been waiting for his decision more than 30 minutes at the front desk, he told me that he even cannot check that alternative flight for me and provide with some more information about its costs or how can I get that ticket. He said that I need to go to another front desk that is after security check out. I went to another front desk and there was a huge line of yelling people who missed their flight because of the delay. I was patiently waiting for another one and a half hour in the line and after, another representative told me the same story that I must pay extra money for upgrading my ticket because they are not going to provide me the hotel room. They said that since there is another option for me to get to Kyiv earlier and I need to pay for that, they cannot give me the room. Representatives were referring to their policy about offering the free hotel room. I want to mention that six months ago when I was purchasing my tickets there were NOT other option with layout less than 13 hours, 13 hours layout was the only option on their website that’s why I bought it because they provide a hotel to stay that 13 hours. They told me that I can contact their manager which is located on Turkish Airline Hotel Desk after Passport control. I went there. After another long line I finally met 3rd different representative that told me the same story about their policy and referred me to the ticket exchange desk to exchange my ticket to a sooner flight, but he said that it is usually some small fee for exchanging but they cannot tell how much exactly and I need to go to another front desk. I went there and 4th representative announced that I must pay 150 Dollars to exchange my tickets to flight sooner! Is it some kind of joke? I have already paid for the tickets if the airline has changed their flight, why do I need to pay for that? By denying the hotel service they put customers in a difficult situation and tired customers had no choice there to argue, they buy that more expensive tickets other ways they going to sleep on the floor at the airport. To me, that sounds like a scam.
RouteSan Francisco to Kiev via San Francisco
Date FlownMay 2019

"Very bad experience"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Very bad experience from this airline. Our route was Stockholm -- Istanbul - Sharm el Sheikh and back. Both flights to and from Istanbul to Sharm had been cancelled for no reason and we were forced to choose another flight one day later with long transit time (over 7 hours). We paid for seat reservation but no seats were reserved. Cabin crew weren't nice and helpful at all.
RouteStockholm to Sharm el Sheikh via Istanbul
Date FlownAugust 2019

"I am extremely dissatisfied"

Trip Verified | I made a reservation for a pet from New York JFK to Baku via Istanbul. I was advised by Turkish Airlines representatives to make a reservation for the cat on the flight with Jet Blue. However, when I called Jet Blue to make a reservation for my pet from Sacramento to JFK, I was told that the airlines never does this. And it is not allowed. Turkish Airlines representatives should have this information for travelers, as it is very difficult in the first place to make a pet reservation on Turkish Airlines. I called the Call center, and was told by a representative how to change my reservation. I did this, but there was an error in the booking that could not be changed, and I no longer had a booking for this flight, even though I was not offered any refund or further help. I was told that this case would be reported to customer service, and was given a number. I called the customer service back, and was not helped at all. I also emailed several offices, in both San Francisco and New York, and received no response whatsoever. After one week, I was told that they would put my case on priority status, that it would be handed within 48 hours. After 9 days, Turkish airlines has failed To address this situation. And this mistake - which their representatives created - has not been addressed or rectified. This is the worst service I have ever received from any airline that ì have ever made a reservation with. I am extremely dissatisfied, as I have no longer have any way to reserve any ticket for myself and a pet in cabin on the airline.
RouteNew York JFK to Baku via Istanbul
Date FlownAugust 2019

"food was very good"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Karachi via Istanbul. The flight overall was very good. The flights were on time, the staff was friendly and maintained the cleanliness of the toilets. The food was very good. The only negative which i have noticed was that they maintained a general temperature in the plane and the passengers did not have individual air-conditioning ducts on the top of their seats so for those passengers who needs extra air or cold temperatures, it may be a bit challenging.
RouteToronto to Karachi via Istanbul
Date FlownJuly 2019

"cancel the ticket and lose 250 Euros"

Not Verified | I book a ticket for another person, when I reviewed the ticket 15 min after it was issued I realized that the 1st name was miss-spelled. 2 extra keyboard keys were pushed inadvertently. I contacted Turkish airlines customer service, they will not talk to me until i filled out their feedback form and got a case number - which I did. including attaching a copy of the passport to correct the name. Then I called back the agent gave her the case number, she transferred it to ticketing department. Instead if the name being corrected, i got the following email: Dear D G, The travel date and passenger details on our web sites are being chosen by our passengers through calendars and those dates are being shown again on the availability screen, the flight information and payment screens (time of flight, route, airport and date of travel). On the other hand, the section "I Agree to be bound by the rules of Terms & Conditions, General Conditions of Carriage on Turkish Airlines web site and fare notes of the ticket reserved, and I confirm the accuracy of the information I entered. " is being shown to passengers on the payment/confirmation page prior to completing the ticketing transaction. A confirmation e-mail is being sent to passengers upon completing the transaction. After the ticket is purchased, the general rules of the related ticket apply and all transactions such as changes or refunds are being performed according to those rules. These rules are being equally implemented for all passengers in case of changes/cancellations or refund requests. Based on your message, we would like to inform you that after the ticketing process is completed, it's not possible to change the name information on the ticket. Any differences of the name information between the ticket and the passport may prevent passengers from travelling. However, as a result of our customer satisfaction policy, if you purchase a new one-way ticket for the related passenger(s) via the official Turkish Airlines website (www.turkishairlines.com) with the same dates, same route, correct passenger details and for a price "which must be either equal or higher price than the current ticket”, we will cancel and refund the old ticket. If you buy a new ticket which is not applicable to the requirements above and request a refund, the related transactions will be completed within the boundaries of the ticket rules. Please submit a new feedback with your new ticket in order to start the refund process. Thank you for your understanding. Sincerely yours, Customer Representative TURKISH AIRLINES INC. Customer Contact Center I had no choice but to cancel the ticket and lose 250 Euros. Airlines are allowed to make mistakes, be late lose luggage, forget special order meals, but a customer can't make an honest error without being penalized.
RouteBodrum to Stavanger

"delayed by 4 hours"

(Democratic Republic of the Congo)

Trip Verified | The flight was scheduled at 11 pm but delayed by 4 hours. At that hour, there is no possibility to buy anything to drink or food in Kinshasa airport (not any automatic distributor). During 4 hours: Nobody from the company came to us to bring some water or more information about the delay! So 3 hours with kids in Kinshasa without anything to drink. Then I negotiate to access to VIP Lounge for 50 $ for 4 people (instead of 200 $) to be able to have something to drink. And the company refuse to reimburse these 50 $! Incredible.
RouteKinshasa to Paris via Istanbul
Date FlownJuly 2019

"loved their safety video"

(Czech Republic)

Not Verified | Prague to Manila via Istanbul. I am satisfied with Turkish Airlines. Comfortable seats, delicious meals, good choice of drinks, amenity kit, I really loved their safety video. The ticket price was reasonable.
RoutePrague to Manila via Istanbul
Date FlownJuly 2019

"not helping a disabled person"

Trip Verified | Karachi to London via Istanbul. My disabled mother was flying back from Karachi to London. Her mobility scooter, which she uses as she can not walk, was checked in. When she landed and collected her baggage she noticed her mobility scooter had been crushed. She was mortified as it was a new scooter costing around £1800 and she does not have a lot of money so buying a new one is not so easy. She was taken to one of there offices were the person dealing with this matter told her not to worry at all and that they would get the scooter repaired ASAP and that she should take it back home with here and they would arrange collection. We then got a call from someone saying that they will not be collecting it but instead they asked my disabled mother to take the scooter to a repair shop, get a quote and send it to them and then they will pay for the repair. We did that and after 2 some time they got back to us saying that what we sent them was a quote and they need an invoice even though they asked for a writen quote. Anyway we send the invoice with a long message saying please try to resolve this quickly as my mother in confined until she gets her scooter back. They then replained with a one sentence answer saying 'We cannot evaluate this document. Thank you for your understanding'. Understand what, there was no explanation. I then had to call them, spent half an hour explaining the situation and they said it was because it was not an invoice, even though it clearly was. We then had to go back to the workshop and got them it change the invoice and sent it again. And there reply, you guessed it 'We cannot evaluate this document. Thank you for your understanding'. So again we called them up and this time they said because the invoice was not stamped by the company. Spoke to the company again, who at this point is fed up of us, and they singed the invoice as they do not have a stamp but told us they have sent many invoices and have never had this issue before. Sent the invoice again and there response 'We cannot evaluate this document. Thank you for your understanding'. We replied saying if you are not happy still with the invoice then can you arrange for a another repair shop to do the shop and there are no other places and my mother can not drive due to her disability and the scooter is extremely heavy. They said no. it has now been 6 months since the incident and still this has not been resoled. Its absolutely appalling that this airline is not helping a disabled person who is not able to move around because of something that happened to her scooter while under there care. Its inhumane.
RouteKarachi to London via Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"outraged and disappointed"

Not Verified | Houston to Istanbul. I am a mother of 2 children - 1 is 7 months old and the other is 3 years old. I spoke on the phone with a customer service representative with your airline for ticketing and reservations. I am outraged and disappointed in the terrible customer service and appalling company policy Turkish Airlines has for families with children. From my understanding with the rep and manager today, if a family is traveling with an infant, the only place they can sit is a bassinet accessible seat. In order to receive this seat with my family and babies - we have to pay an additional $109 per person, per seat - going both ways round trip! That’s over $600 extra for my family. This is a terrible policy and is basically punishing and penalizing families with infants. I have flown internationally on 2 other trips before with a different airline, and there was never an additional fee to accommodate a family to be able to sit together with their infant, with a bassinet accessible seat. I am travelling with my 2 boys and husband. In addition to this my sister, her spouse, my mother and her spouse are also going to be on the same flight with us. Our entire family has already spent plenty of money as your customers for our flight and now we are being penalized and asked to pay additional money to have a bassinet seat?!? Turkish airlines is punishing families by enforcing additional financial burdens on families. After my conversation with the customer service rep and her manager, it is clear to me that the Turkish Airlines customer services reps only care about repeating, over & over, the company policy as an excuse or escape route to avoiding good customer services. Not once did they display any empathy or understanding that as a mother, I do not want to sit by myself with my infant son, and be forced to take care of all his needs, by myself, for a 12 hour flight. Long flights are difficult for babies and families and we need help to make sure its a safe and smooth flight for our children and family. After getting zero help from a customer rep and manager on the phone, I sent feedback online. I got the same policy recited to me again. Again no compassion and understanding from this company of the difficulties traveling with children and babies. Never again will I fly with Turkish Airlines.
RouteHouston to Istanbul
Date FlownJuly 2019

"baggage didn’t arrive for 3 days"

Trip Verified | Going from XNA to ADD on 7/6 baggage didn’t arrive at destination for 3 days. I am informed at the airport, this is standard operating procedure for Turkish Airlines arriving in ADD. Had to go to the airport at 1 a.m. for 3 days before my baggage was located as there was no “system” to inform me of the status of my bags. Now flying back on 7/19, flight from IST to ORD delayed by 160 minutes. As a result, will miss connecting flight at ORD. I will have to pay for my own accommodation at ORD or opt to stay in IST and go out the following day taking the same risk for a flight delay. (flight on 7/18 was also delayed by the same amount of time) At three customer service desks at three different locations of the IST airport, I asked to be routed through ATL and was told I must pay my own way from ATL to XNA as the only flight out that night was Delta it was not Star Alliance. And they will terminate my flight at ATL. I opted into that. The process of talking to agents (many, as no one seems to have the authority to make decision) took 1.5 hours which possibly caused episode 3 below. My baggage did not make it to ATL on 7/19 on TK31. And as of this morning (7/21) according to the customer service agent, the system doesn’t show where my bag maybe. Advised next steps: wait until tomorrow a.m. 48 hours after my flight, and submit a lost baggage claim; which will start a process to “reimburse for lost luggage” or “expedite the search”. BTW – since I opted to get my flight terminated and paid $500 for my last leg of the flight, TK will not deliver my bag to my final destination. I will have to pay a FedEx fee for that. Still waiting for my bags! Again: if you don’t need baggage or good customer service, fly Turkish Airlines.
RouteAddis Ababa to Chicago via Istanbul