Turkish Airlines

Customer rating from 1962 reviews

"Their rudeness is unprecedented"

Not Verified | Bought two tickets but could not use them due to the wildfires in Greece. I was given an open ticket and was told I would have to pay the difference only. Yesterday I tried to use the open ticket. Customer service does not speak English sufficient. At first the wanted $1700 extra, then $1200 extra, then $500. Today I called again and found a ticket even cheaper than the original and they wanted $656, I asked why? No answer, only that if I waited five minutes it could go higher. I told him the website price states the price lower, I was told to buy that instead without getting a refund or have my open ticket applied. They hung up several times. Their rudeness is unprecedented. I have never seen such behavior from an airline. The money is lost I am not being forced to pay more than I have to.
RouteMiami to Athens via Istanbul
Date FlownOctober 2021

"beware of Turkish Airlines"

Trip Verified | When planning a flight, think carefully about choosing an airline! The airline employees detained my son and me while transferring to a plane to Vancouver in Istanbul, forcing me to spend two days at the airport while waiting for the next flight, while the hotel had to be paid out of my own pocket. Upon arrival in Vancouver, it turned out that three of our four suitcases were destroyed, and Turkish airlines have been investigating the incident for three months. Although it looks more like no one is investigating anything, everyone is on the brakes, the airline simply ignores all my claims, So beware of Turkish Airlines.
RouteKyiv to Vancouver via Istanbul
Date FlownJuly 2021

"never experienced such rude behaviour"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | I did self-check-in in the info-kiosks available in Copenhagen Airport. It was somewhat strange because the last screen was "thank you, good bye." I did not recieve boarding pass or luggage labels. So far the problem is of Copenhagen Airport. I waited then in the luggage drop line, to drop my 1 piece luggage, and receive my boarding pass. The person at the counter scolded me that I should had taken another line, like regular check-in line. I told the officer (Turkish Airline employee, I guess) that I did check-in, without having received a boarding pass. The person said " No, you did not make any check-in" while I knew what I did or did not do. And I would not lie to anyone for any reason. Additionally the person told me "You should say thanks to me instead of insisting what you said". I have never experienced such rude behaviour. And that was enough to ruin the quality of the journey. At the same time the person lost the chance of investigating such a fail in the check-in kiosks by not believing what I told.
RouteCopenhagen to Istanbul
Date FlownOctober 2021

"make your life an absolute nightmare"

Trip Verified | Pretty good staff on the airplane. Food was decent. Some personnel act somewhat aggressive and bitter.. which is unfortunate. Seat was dirty. Then the positive experience ends. The Turkish lounge at Istanbul and the baggage service is an absolute joke. The make your life an absolute nightmare. Just try and have your bag not arrive. Then try to follow all of their bureaucratic hoops and you will lose your mind. The company they use for example in Rome will not release the bag without Turkish airlines permission. Turkish doesn't call you. You will call Turkish and they will say "we are still investigating the case". It is like living in a poetically hellish world of people that don't listen to you. Sir, the bag is in Rome. We have spoken to the agent and they just need your approval to release the bag. "I can't call them but I will email them." That doesn't happen. Just an absolute joke. So far it has been 5 days.
RouteSan Francisco to Rome via Istanbul
Date FlownOctober 2021

"the whole experience very satisfying"

Trip Verified | I was positively surprised by the quality regarding every aspect of my trip. Both trips were on time, staff friendly and efficient, food remarkably good and the whole experience very satisfying. I will defo fly TK again! A small but remarkable detail is that during their announcements which starts with: Ladies and Gentlemen, they also add: and dear children! Another small but remarkable detail is that each passengers receives a hygiene package that contains 2 masks, disinfectant gel and other things!
RouteTashkent to Zurich via Istanbul
Date FlownOctober 2021

"we still can't get our refund"

Not Verified | We had our tickets canceled due to COVID a year ago and we still can't get our refund back. They withdrew the money and do not want to return it. During the year they said we had to wait a little longer and they would return everything and 12 months had passed. Terrible customer service, always say the same thing and then just hang up. It is better to spend more money than to order tickets from them again
Date FlownNovember 2020

"poor customer service"

Trip Verified | If I could give 0 stars I would. I booked a ticket today, 10/03/2021 for my mom to come visit my and her granddaughter for Christmas. When I received confirmation, I saw that the departure city was wrong. It should have been from Odesa to Miami, not the other way around. I called them to fix it right away. They refused to help me. Said if I cancel now, I won’t get my money back. If I want to make changes, I have to pay extra fees. Never ever have I heard of a company who does not have 24 hour cancellation grace period. Well now I do. I am very disappointed with their poor customer service. They refused to connect me with the manager. They said managers do not speak over the phone with customers. Next they transferred me 4 times and told me I have to go online and open a ticket to resolve this issue. I did. I received automated message saying that I have to wait for 7 business days to hear back. This is ridiculous. I made a purchase today and called you within 5 minutes of purchase. This is insane. Representatives on the phone were rude, last gentleman hang up on me. I booked Turkish Airlines on multiple occasions. Never thought they are okay to lose their loyal customer. Awful experience. Please stay away from them.
RouteOdesa to Miami ia Istanbul
Date FlownOctober 2021

"no further announcement from the pilot"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Shortly after take-off there were three successive loud explosions coming from the left engine, sending shock waves through the plane. Flames were shooting from the engine, flame coloured smoke was passing the plane. The passengers were horrified but kept calm. The plane settled and all seemed normal. Flight attendants kept out of sight and did not make or were unable to make any announcement. Shortly thereafter the pilot spoke for the first time and advised, that due to a technical problem at take-off we would have to return to Istanbul. Some time later the pilot spoke for a second time and announced that we would have to stay in the air for about two hours to use up fuel. At this stage the passengers expected an emergency landing. There was no further announcement from the pilot or any attempt from the crew to calm passengers. We stayed in the air for four hours, the plane in darkened mode. Crew came around once to pass water to passengers. After this ordeal the plane landed smoothly. Passengers were put in a departure hall. Passengers needed answers and the ground staff barely coped with this situation and there is an obvious need for training here. A message, that a plane would be available for take-off at 11:00, was eventually conveyed to passengers by staff.
RouteIstanbul to Johannesburg

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Horrible customer service. I called in advance to check COVID-19 pre-requirement for traveling, all provided information were wrong so I couldn't fly. Tried to reschedule a flight, they made me to open a feedback case. Finally after speaking with 4 agents they accepted me to pay no show fee and reschedule flight. After 7 days I got answer to my feedback of course no errors on their side, but they didn't have even my name correct. The good thing is that plane between Toronto and Istanbul was almost empty so i could sleep.
RouteToronto to Sarajevo via Istanbul
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Turkish Airlines isn't worth a premium"

(Kyrgyzstan)

Trip Verified | Good ground and check-in staff in Bishkek. Breakfast tasty but quantity minimal for 6 hours flight. It was more than a snack than a meal. Seats are comfortable, plane was clean (including windows). The interactive map is responsive, detailed and well thought out unlike some older TK iterations The main issue was the Wi-fi. Supposedly TK existing members and new members get 10 MB free. That was next to impossible. Either as an existing or a new customer. The only option that was working (perfectly!) was to purchase the Wi-fi package. However, that didn't work for me either since they accept credit cards only. That detail albeit minimal left a very bad impression. Why even link the Wi-Fi to a certain membership/seat number instead of a device MAC address? The staff on the flight were trying their best. Unlike on some previous flights they all spoke at least some intermediary English. But there again, while checking for masks five times throughout the cabin, they couldn't take away my tray of rubbish all the way until landing. Extremely weak usb port. Transfer in IST can be extremely tedious due to the lack of sitting space and enormous times of walking between gates (sometimes up to half an hour or more). All in all Turkish Airlines isn't worth a premium and would recommend them only if you find a great price.
AircraftA321 / Boeing 737-800