Turkish Airlines

"avoid flying with this airline in future"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience. Started with a very poor check-in experience using their appp, and wouldn't progress past the seat selection stage where it kept glitching so I had to do it on my laptop instead, and then the app wouldn't show the boarding passes. Then, at the gate despite an announcement saying boarding would be by seat number, it was simply a free-for-all and the staff didn't even try to order things. I was in the middle passengers to board the aircraft. As I was at the end of the tunnel just about to get on the plane, the airport staff brought down passengers with mobility issues or requiring assistance. Myself and another passenger stood aside as asked (and as you should do) to await these passengers being boarded. Turns out that was a big mistake - several other passengers pushed past us (and those with mobility issues), which is relevant later. When finally aboard, it was clear that the flight was overbooked as noone could find anywhere to put their bags and the queue in the aisle was very long and slow. The passengers who had shoved past were getting their bags slotted into the last remaining spaces by crew. I also noted one gentleman who had severe mobility issues and who had been brought to the aircraft by wheelchair being asked to move seats by a crew member and struggling to do so with no assistance. Then I was told that my bag would need to be put in the hold. I tried to protest, explaining that I had intentionally travelled long-haul with hand luggage only to avoid these waits at the carousel and potential delays and missed connections, and had had recent terrible experiences with this, but the crew were entirely unhelpful and just chucked lots of our bags in the hold. These are all people who boarded around the middle of the cohort, so I can only imagine how many bags were relegated to hold in total. There were no reminders from staff to remove important or disallowed items from bags before they were taken to the hold - hopefully noone left their passports in there! This was all followed up by one of the most uncomfortable seat experiences of my life - and that's coming from someone who can sleep pretty much anywhere. There was barely any legroom, the seats weren't particularly comfy and as soon as the person in front reclined even slightly the screen was practically in your face. Arm rests also in an odd position. No USB or other charging points which is quite unusual these days. Not woken for my meal, so didn't have anything, and was only lucky to catch someone's eye long enough to get a drink. I flew with Turkish Airlines a few years ago (LHR-HK via IST) and actually had a very nice experience, but they have definitely gone down the pan since then with none of the nice touches. Would absolutely pay more to avoid flying with this airline in future.
RouteIstanbul to London
Date FlownNovember 2022

"customer service is terrible"

Trip Verified | The customer service is terrible, they communicate with you via feedback, that's not helpful when you are rushing. They canceled the flight, we were promised our Uber fees would be reimbursed at the airport, but no one reimbursed it. I reached out and I was promised I would get it in miles, but I haven't gotten a dime back. I wish they never canceled Moscow flight, I would never use Turkish airlines otherwise.
RouteBoston to Bishkek via Istanbul
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Nice food in economy"

Not Verified | Had and amazing flight with Turkish Airlines on a one way ticket from Antalya via Istanbul to London. Flight was late leaving Antalya to Istanbul but made up time to get my connection to London. Full flight from Istanbul to London where the crew perform well and was calm and professional. Nice food in economy which I ask for seconds. Enjoyable smooth flight and landed in London Heathrow bang on time. Wish I had more time to explore Istanbul new airport. Will definitely fly Turkish Airlines again.
RouteAntalya to London via Istanbul
Date FlownNovember 2022

"It was the worst experience"

Trip Verified | It was the worst experience that I ever had. I bought 3 tickets for myself, my wife and my 19 month old son since we need extra room when we are flying. We flew from Los Angeles to Tashkent via Istanbul and back from Tashkent to Los Angeles after spending 2 weeks in Tashkent with 3 days stop in Istanbul. We really liked Istanbul and it's touristic attractions. We bought tickets via Expedia and I paid full price for my son's ticket. When checking in in Istanbul TK representatives told us that we have to buy new ticket for our son since the one we bought was a child ticket, but it has to be a baby ticket as our son is under 2 years old. They told us that on previous 3 hops TK made a mistake allowing our baby onboard and they sent us to to a ticket office where I got charged an additional 130 USD for a new ticket for our son. It's the kind of Turkish Bazar experience you get when you deal with TK. It was a very stressful situation for our family as we were almost late to our flight to LA. I was very angry and was not able to sleep during our flight to LA. It's a completely different experience with Turkish Airlines in other countries as in Tashkent/Uzbekistan and Los Angeles their representatives are more customer focused. 3 years ago I had another bad experience with Turkish Airlines in Istanbul when TK oversold tickets to our flight to Los Angeles. They push people who bought tickets in advance with cheaper rates to stay and chose a different flight making a priority for those who paid higher buying tickets closer to departure date. That creates a stressful experience for the passengers since they don't have seats on their boarding passes. They first push you that you don't have seat available and later gamble proposing bonuses to passengers to abandon a flight and you have to stand firm to take your flight. Somebody agrees at the end to abandon a flight. Our Turkish Airlines experience was so bad that it spoilt our impression about our vacation in Turkey. We would try to avoid this airline and country in overall for upcoming vacations.
RouteIstanbul to Los Angeles
Date FlownNovember 2022

"one of the best experiences"

Trip Verified | Because of covid and the fare I paid, my expectations were low. However, it ended up being one of the best experiences, the other one being with Swiss Airlines over a decade ago. The food did not give me the indigestion I usually have with airlines food. It was fast and expeditiously served without the personnel being rude, dismissive, or in a hurry. Some bad turbulences were well handled. People may think that there isn't much an airline can do about turbulences, however, I have flown a lot in this lifetime. If you pay attention, there is actually a lot that can be done. I have been on many flights where I expected something like the felt slippers to be provided. Feet can start hurting and aching when stuck in hard shoes for 10+ hours. Nothing was ever provided. Restrooms were very clean. I have paid more for tickets for shorter flights on hyped airlines where strangely it wasn't feasible to keep the restrooms clean. Customer service, on the phone as well as at check-in at the airport was very professional, meaning detailed and efficient without making me feel that they are forced to serve me because I paid for the ticket or because they have security regulations to follow.
RouteWashington to Manila via Istanbul
Date FlownNovember 2022

"well trained and service oriented"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Took TK from Manila to Ankara via Istanbul in Business Class with A350. I used to fly the same route with Boing 777. Both are good planes but A350 has a better concept for Privacy I guess the families with children may prefer Boing 777. Departed on time received good service and good food. Wi fi was excellent. It seems like There is some additional investment on cabin crew. This time I found them much better, well trained and service oriented. Istanbul to Ankara it was Boeing 777 which was unusual and Business class had 60 to 65% occupancy. This flight was probably the worst domestic flight experience I have ever had. Crew was so noisy talking to each other and using the trolleys to serve the meals. On the way back from Istanbul we had approximately 40 min late departure due to connecting flights and it was also a nice flight
AircraftA350 -900
RouteManila to Ankara via Istanbul
Date FlownNovember 2022

"stated that I don't want their miles"

Trip Verified | I flew together with my girlfriend, our flight was delayed for more than 4 hours. Passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 states a compensation of 600 euros per ticket. Turkish airlines, starting offering 25.000 miles. They don't need to offer anything as the regulation states clearly the compensation. I complained and they offer more miles, then I complained again and they offer more miles again when I clearly stated that I don't want their miles. Be careful with this airline, they don't respect the passenger right, rights which can be download also from their website. Further more, according to their own rules, for a delay of more than 3 hours, you have the right to have a cold/hot drink, a snack and a meal. When I asked for it at their desk at the airport, they said that as the flight was delayed for less than 5 hours, I have to ask for these at the boarding gate, gate that would be shown 4 hours later. Finally at the gate they offer a bottle of water at room temperature, nor cold nor hot and a disgusting looking sandwich that of course we didn't take.
RouteZurich to Mahe via Istanbul
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"It is not worth the stress"

Not Verified | Preserve your sanity and AVOID this airline. I purchased my tickets 3 months in advance, and they have cancelled several legs of my itinerary four times so far. I believe they overbooked and kicked me off the flight because they were able to sell my tickets at a higher price to someone else. They provided no explanation but simply that the flight has been cancelled. It is a nightmare to rebook. Their system is set up to make you frustrated so that you cancel the flight, and rebook at a higher price. They have other flights available that they will not give to you saying your class (Economy/Business A B C Z I) do not match. Shouldn't they accommodate the customers to their best since it is Turkish Airline's fault? Right before our vacation, it turned into a nightmare. So much stress because of their unprofessionalism. Do yourself a favor and avoid Turkish Airlines. It is not worth the stress.
RouteSan Francisco to Dhaka via Istanbul
Date FlownMarch 2022

"I would not recommend this airline"

(Slovenia)

Trip Verified | Online check-in and baggage drop have been relatively smooth, boarding too. Flight staff had been seen arguing before take-off which gave passengers an uncomfortable feeling. Comparing to the hospitality we were experiencing in Japan, the flight staff has been rude, tired and forgetful. With the seat belt sign turned on, seating in a window seat, I kindly asked for a tissue I did not receive, despite reminding the stewardess once more. We had a slight delay in departure but we arrived on time, which I really appreciated. The aircraft was old, with narrow seats and not a lot of legroom. My friend who is 186 cm tall had a hard time seating in the middle seat. Despite expensive price for the tickets, Turkish does not allow to choose your own seat - not when you buy nor when you check-in. Seat prices were ridiculously priced, where the extra legroom cost almost 90 EUR per person, per flight. My food was served lukewarm and the fresh bread was served to our hands before we could use their wipes to clean them. Taste was acceptable, portions are somewhat generous but the ingredients were repeating themselves. That includes our return flight. Onboard wifi was for free for Miles&Smiles members, but only 10 Mb which is laughable. The internet speed was poor and after trying 15 minutes to connect to the WiFi service, I shut down my phone after 5 minutes of trying to read some news. Unacceptable for this day and age. Overall, I would not recommend this airline.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteTokyo to Istanbul
Date FlownNovember 2022

"I would avoid this company"

(Kazakhstan)

Trip Verified | It’s not our first flight with Turkish Airlines, but this is the first that disappointed us before even getting to aircraft. We arrived to the airport 6 hours prior to check in. The staff saw us there. When they started to prepare for check in we moved to the line for infants as we travel with three kids and one of them is just 2 years old. The woman at the desk started arguing with us that he looks older. Quite an argument! Then she asked if he has a seat - and if he has he’s not consider as an infant! Do you believe it? We buy a seat for our kids long before they are 2 because it’s the matter of convenience, not the age! Then, we moved to common line, but of course our place was already took by other passengers and the staff told we have to get to the end of the line. Seeing us with three young kids 7 and under, with two carts full of suitcases and knowing we arrived much earlier than other passengers they moved us to the end of the line! Should it be Lufthansa or even Turkish Airlines in Turkey they would let us pass through the infant line without any questions. It’s sad that the Turkish values of caring about children and families and Turkish Airlines high standards of service are not relevant for some representatives of the staff. Should I have a long flight next time I would avoid this company!
RouteWashington to Istanbul