Turkish Airlines

"I will never fly them again"

Trip Verified | In 9/30/2018 my wife, our 11 months old son, and myself took Turkish Airlines to fly from San Francisco to Addis Ababa via Istanbul. Half way in the first leg of the flight (from San Francisco to Istanbul), a lady in the flight got sick and a decision was made to divert the plane to Bergen Norway, so the lady can get a medical treatment.  This caused 3 hours delay on our arrival time to Istanbul and we missed our second leg flight (From Istanbul to Addis) as a result. When we first got to Istanbul information was scarce and no one were willing to help. After a lot of leg work we finally reached to the “Transfer” station where we can request to be booked to another flight.  We were told the next flight to Addis Ababa is 24 hours later and the airline will provide hotel accommodations for us. They booked us to the next flight and refer us to another station where we can request hotel accommodation. When we got to the hotel accommodation station, we were told to get a visa and return. When we got to the Visa station we faced discrimination because my wife carried a passport from Ethiopia. Visa was offered to my son and myself who were carrying a US passport and denied to my wife who were carrying Ethiopian passport. When we asked why we were told they don’t give Visas to people who carry Ethiopian passport. We showed them my wife’s US green card and explain the situation we will face if we had to stay in the airport with a sick child for 24 additional hours and they still refuse to give my wife a visa. The only solution they offered is to leave my wife who was breastfeeding behind.  We tried to call the US Embassy in Istanbul to explain the situation, but they were closed for the day. Out of options, hungry and tired, we finally decide to stay in the airport for the next 24 hours. We returned to Turkish airlines terminal and asked if we get admittance to the Turkish airline lounge, so our child can rest in a comfortable area and this request was denied because we are not Turkish airline business customers. For the next 24 hours, we were prisoners in Istanbul airport. I regret my decision to fly Turkish and I will never fly them again.
RouteSan Francisco to Addis Ababa via Istanbul
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"it's far behind Asian carriers"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | My first time on Turkish. It's not a bare-basics, race-to-the-bottom product, but it's far behind Asian carriers and Qatar Airways in warmth and sophistication. There is a lot of confusion both in the cockpit and at the Istanbul transit area. Passengers are given the wrong information. My flight ex-KUL taxied all over the airport for 2 hours before returning to gate for refuelling. (We were just about to take off on a 11.5-hour journey with not enough fuel? Interesting.) That just about put paid to everyone's plans to catch their connecting flights. The gate number for my Geneva flight was different from what the entertainment system showed us right before landing (as I found out after sprinting, laptop and shoes in hand, to the wrong gate). Very stressful. On board, food is okay but same-same across sectors. English is not great unless pre-recorded. Male crew are quite patient and hard-working. The female staff can be pleasant when they want to be. Sadly, many make it very clear that having seen the world and having put peroxide highlights in their hair, pouring coffee in economy class is not where they want tp be. (How hard is it to say "Good evening" to a passenger during boarding, instead of giving an icy, silent stare?) In the future, unless I decide to travel to one of the secondary destinations served by TK, such as Salzburg or Lyon, my preference will remain with the more established airlines.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Geneva via Istanbul

"worst customer service"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Maputo to Almaty via Istanbul. Turkish Airlines has the worst customer service and IT-systems. They charged me for a flight but due to system error the funds disappeared from my account without the payment showing in their system. Their customer rep gave me as an only alternative to wait for 7 business days and buy the tickets then. Of course I could've just chucked another 1,500 USD in and tried if their system would've worked on the second time around.
RouteMaputo to Almaty via Istanbul

"Overall horrible"

Not Verified | Booked business class for the comfort, travelled from Toronto to Istanbul, the flight was good rested well. The flight from Istanbul to Karachi was a disaster, none of the seats were working to recline or adjust the foot rest. People should think twice before purchasing a business class. On top of they take the headphones 20 min before landing which is so annoying. Overall horrible from Istanbul to Karachi.
RouteToronto to Karachi via Istanbul

"poorest customer service"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Manila via Istanbul. Turkish Airlines lost my luggage. It was delivered only 36 hours after my arrival. The worst thing was the way of delivery. A very rude guy brought the luggage to my place. He threatened me to throw the luggage on the street if i don't come down the stairway to pick it up. I complained via the feedback online form and now i am messaging with Turkish Airlines for more than 6 weeks. They refuse to give me any compensation for the stress. For me it's the poorest customer service i ever experienced from an airline I will never fly Turkish Airlines again.
RouteBerlin to Manila via Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2018

"running a baggage scam"

Trip Verified | Istanbul to London. This airline is running a baggage scam. Be very aware. On their website they claim to allow free 2 bags (check in up to 32 kilos each) . When you arrive at counter , they don't speak English and keep telling you are not allowed any bags and must pay for it. They leave you with no option. I had to pay $400 dollars for my two bags , weighing 20 mg each. Avoid this airline like the plague. They do not speak English and are scamming people with this whole luggage scam. It's basically some sort of legalized robbery.
RouteIstanbul to London

"food was delicious"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Athens to Havana via Istanbul. Amazing crew service. On time. Great selection of music and movies on the IFE. The food was delicious with 2 choices and menu card and real cutlery. Also amenity.
AircraftA330-200
RouteAthens to Havana via Istanbul

"day 3 and no luggage"

(Brunei)

Not Verified | Vienna to Istanbul. Our morning flight was delayed then eventually cancelled due to the bad weather which is understandable. We had to rushed back to counter for them to issue another boarding pass and during this time it was already chaotic. Then they gave us options whather to take the next earliest flight but will arrive in Istanbul Sabiha airport and not Istanbul Ataturk airport. Another option is to take another flight but had to wait for another 9 hours. We took the first option because Turkish airlines promise that our luggage will be sent to Sabiha airport when we landed. Once landed, waited for around 45 mins - 1 hour for our luggage but none arrived including others that took the same option as ours. Few minutes later one of the staff came and informed us that all the luggage are left in Vienna. This became even more chaotic as passengers have other arrangements and obviously requires the luggage. The staff told us to file baggage lost at the counter and the queue itself took almost 2 hours. Turkish Airlines again made another promise that they would send it by the next morning to our hotel but again we still have not receive our luggage the next morning. Fortunately our hotel staff helped us to follow up on this matter and again Turkish Airlines made another promise that the luggage will be sent tomorrow evening. So day 3 In Istanbul with recycled sweaty clothes and no luggage. We are really hopeful that it will be sent by tomorrow evening as we are going back in few days. The trip from Sabiha airport to our hotel itself costed us twice the price. Pray for our luggage. Hope Turkish Airlines take this matter seriously.
RouteVienna to Istanbul

"Customer service awful"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Singapore via Istanbul. Ground service is awful, I am Elite+ and get no gold lines. Boarding is a mess. Customer service awful. They deducted miles from my accounts and they don't care, give me weird and general answers over the email. Cabin crew was ok, but missed several safety classes. I paid for emergency seat, Turkish Airlines decided to give to someone else the seat - this guy is Turkish Airlines employee - I saw him with joking around with the cabin crew and they also treated him with some business class beverages, so Turkish Airlines is also corrupted. In Tel Aviv there is no special line for the gold members because Turkish Airlines also doesn't care about the so many Israeli passengers.
RouteTel Aviv to Singapore via Istanbul
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"the stroller was damaged"

Trip Verified | Istanbul to London. On our flight back from Istanbul we handed our baby stroller to Turkish Airlines. When we arrived to London we realized that the stroller was damaged. We started a claim case there at Heathrow airport. An online account was opened for us through which we filled in more information and received an evaluation which said that that THY would compensate the repair. We ordered two pieces of replacement covers and sent the receipts to THY. This was on the 19th of January. Since then we've been trying to resolve the case but we are being ignored. Today I talked to customer service for the 5th time. Every time I'm told that we should hear back in couple days but we never do. This is such a shame. What we claim is not even that much. If we were this responsive when we owed any money to THY we would be fined multiple times. They are getting away with it. It's such a shame for a company which claims to be world class. It's obvious that the quality they stand for is disappearing quickly.
RouteIstanbul to London