Turkish Airlines

"really discriminate passengers"

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Los Angeles via Istanbul. The estimated departure of TK9 (BOM-IST) was 6:55 am which actually departed at 7:55 am it was delayed because of some connecting flight and other reasons. My experience in both flights form BOM-IST and IST-LAX was way too different. BOM-IST review: Communication: The communication done by the pilot with passengers was awful they spoke something in Turkish and mumbled some English. All I understood was word THANK YOU. The quality of speakers used for the announcement was very cheap. The flight crew had a very different attitude in this flight they didn't communicate well with passengers and was just doing work like robots. Not listening to queries and moving on with next passengers. They didn't even greet their incoming passengers. Food quality was OKish. No menu card was provided. Overall the Flight was clean with old interfaces. My front seat was torn apart with some internals clearly seen. IST-LAX review: The communication was very clear in English the speakers were fine. The cabin crew was friendly and accommodating understood passengers well and heard all my queries. Helped me with my bags. Greeted us while coming in and going out. Food: Food was awful. When given meal preference was an Asian vegetarian meal please for god sake dont serve ITALIAN PASTA. Menu card was provided. Flight: This flight was cleaner with newer interfaces and good seats. The flight arrived 1 hr late. Overall Review of Turkish Airlines: Istanbul airport security lady was extremely rude. She can't even understand basic English. Passengers are in hurry and tired and in that mindset even such small things make a big impact on passengers. My Mumbai to Istanbul flight was awful and Istanbul to Los Angeles was good. They do really discriminate passengers from different regions. Providing different services to different passengers.I have traveled quite a lot but never gotsuch treatment.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteMumbai to Los Angeles via Istanbul

"Really bad experience"

Trip Verified | Istanbul to Beirut. Rude, arrogant, stressed and unapologetically inattentive crew. Wifi impossible to connect to, or simply malfunctioning. Really bad experience.
RouteIstanbul to Beirut
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"they couldn't pay me anything"

Trip Verified | Kilaminjaro to Chicago via Istanbul. My problems began the day before the flight, I had booked a Turkish Airlines award business class ticket using United Mileageplus miles months earlier, but the day before noticed I couldn't select my seat and part of my flights were missing from the itinerary. I called Turkish Airlines to confirm everything was but for some reason I couldn't select my seat, so to arrive to the airport early. I arrive the next day to the airport 3 hours early in Kiliminjaro airport in Tanzania and it turns out there is a massive problem with my ticket. A Turkish airlines agent later said it was "it was award ticket and NO REC on your onward boarding pass"" which I have no idea what it means but the agent was smashing away at the keyboard for hours trying to get me on the flight to the point they had to hold the flight to Istanbul. At the very last minute I was finally I was able to board and the Turkish airlines agent said I shouldn't have any more problems, but once I get to Istanbul I need to get my next boarding pass and that my bag would arrive just fine to Chicago (both of these turned out to be false) Already having a bad day,I was informed that for the duration of the flight I would only receive economy service and meals despite booking a business class ticket. Once I arrived to Istanbul, more problems began as the transfer desks agents were extremely unhelpful just ping ponging me from one desk to the other with no agent willing to print my boarding pass or ticket. As it got closed to boarding time I told a transfer desk agent I'm not leaving until they print me my pass which I paid for and I was bound to miss my flight! In the end a desk agent in Istanbul wrote me ticket by hand 30 minutes before the flight was set to take off and told me to run! This ticket got me past security and it seemed everything was ok until I got to the gate and once again they denied me boarding, while they grabbed my passport and the agents again smashing on a computer keys trying to get me boarded. Then they tried to claim that my ticket was only economy until I showed them the receipt, at this point they were once again, holding the next plane up for me. At the very last second they finally let me board the flight to Chicago. Once arriving to Chicago I was once again greeted with more bad news. My bag had not made it so I asked them to ship the bag to Mexico City (where I live). They said I would need to pick it up at the airport "the next day." Well turns out the next day was a whopping 5 days later. When the bag arrived it was completely destroyed. The nightmare doesn't end there. I figured they would be quick to provide compensation over such an incident, especially over an expensive long distance business class ticket but was I wrong. Once I began the process I sent them all relevant details including pictures of my damaged bag, and receipts totalling about $500 for various purchases I had to make for the 5 days I didn't have my bag. Then they said that they couldn't pay me anything for my damaged bag because they needed a "repair invoice" when they originally said a financial request will suffice in lieu. At that point I had already thrown my damaged baggage away.
RouteKilaminjaro to Chicago via Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2018

"price was very compatible"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Bangkok via Istanbul. Flying with TK is a good start of the vacation, the price was very compatible. This trip started with a nearly empty business class from Stockholm. The lounge in Istanbul is huge with a lot of different choices. The flight to Bangkok in a full business class was really nice. We started with a glass of champagne and then food. Everything went very smooth. We received a fast track pass in Bangkok to pass immigration recommend Turkish Airlines.
AircraftA 330
RouteStockholm to Bangkok via Istanbul
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"discriminate flights from Pakistan"

(Pakistan)

Trip Verified | Lahore to Frankfurt via Istanbul in business class. Extremely disappointed with this pathetic airline. Lahore to Istanbul the aircraft was A330-300. And everything about the flight was sub standard. The seat layout was at least 20 years old, when business class seats hardly just reclined. No storage space. The kit they provided had nothing in it. Cheap stuff. For an around 6 hour flight, no menu cards were provided. The crew serving never bothered to ask if passengers needed anything. One had to look around what others were eating and ask for it. The worst part was the next flight, from Istanbul to Frankfurt. It was again A330-200. And everything on this flight was perfect. They provided a menu card, the seats layout was modern. Like proper fully reclining seats. I feel awful the way they discriminate with flights from Pakistan.
AircraftA330-300
RouteLahore to Frankfurt via Istanbul
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"they said that we are late"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Durban to Houston via Istanbul. We had booked our flights from Durban to Houston (return) which included a stopover of 2 days in Istanbul whereby our journey from Istanbul to Houston was on 16th December 2018 on flight number TK33 at 2.30pm. We had requested wheelchair service in advance. We checked-in on time at Istanbul Airport and waited more than 1 hour for the wheelchair assistant who never came and had to walk by ourselves to the gate. By the time we reached the gate we were denied boarding as they said that we are late. As a result, we had to buy another ticket on Turkish Airlines for 18th December 2018 at the airport which cost us TRY 21519 and this was through no fault of our own. The problem is that the wheelchair assistance never turned up which is the main reason for us being late. We have flown with other airlines and never faced this issue. It was our first time with Turkish Airlines and has been a terrible experience.
RouteDurban to Houston via Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Waste of money and time"

Trip Verified | New York to Thessaloniki via Istanbul. I have so many bad words in my mind about this airline. It was the first and the last time I chose it. My return trip was yesterday, JFK to Ataturk, due to a 2.5 hours delay I lost my connection flight to Thessaloniki. When I came out of the plane there is no one to help me out with my flight, I was asking the ground staff and they talk to me in a rude and sarcastic manner because I dont speak Turkish. I was waiting in a very long line (100 people or more, all of them lost their connection flights) to change my ticket. My new ticket was at 20:15 evening and I had arrived at 9 am. I was waiting for 11 hours to go home! They take as at a hotel for almost 4 hours, the hotel and the ground staff had the worst attitude I have ever seen! They didn't show us any respect, long lines, no directions, no answers, no English, nothing except of rudeness. Now I'm home after 26 hours, instead of 14. For me Turkish is really the worst airline and has the worst ground stuff. Waste of money and time!
RouteNew York to Thessaloniki via Istanbul
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"crew courteous and polite"

Trip Verified | There is no online check in available in Tirana. Nonetheless, the check in process was smooth. All passengers have to be bused to the aircraft. This flight TK 1640 departed and arrived on time. This B737-800 aircraft had comfortable seating with plenty of legroom. The leg rests help. A light breakfast meal was served (a platter with turkey, dinner roll, sour cherry jam, almond cake, olives, cucumber and feta and white cheese). Although inflight TK Mobile Entertainment was available, I did not utilize it. The flight crew was very courteous and polite. This is the 3d time I've flown Turkish Airlines. I've yet to encounter any problems and would recommend this airline.
RouteTirana to Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2018

"No feedback, no communication"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Sao Paulo via Istanbul. We applied and was granted "free accommodation" and stay over in Istanbul - never issued. This was a major reason we decided to use them they were not cheaper than SAA (direct flight) and the price we paid was to fly twice longer in and out. I contacted them many times over 9 months and just got promises, 4 days before our departure they still could not issue the vouchers and had to pay all ourselves. No feedback, no communication, nothing.
RouteCape Town to Sao Paulo via Istanbul
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Don't fly with Turkish Airlines"

Trip Verified | New York to Istanbul via Skopje. No care for being on time, worst airline ever to being on time. My first flight was 35 mins late for unknown reasons, I spent 9 hours waiting for the next available flight. As I was waiting I watched almost every Turkish Airlines that landed had passengers running off to malke it to their next flight. Then my next flight did not have us board till departure time, when it came to loading on the buses they had us wait 20 mins on a cramped bus without opening the doors. Some passengers had to use the emergency latch to open the doors so we can get some air. Then boarding the plane the captain notifies us that we are delayed and no reason with it. Late again to my final destination. Don't fly with Turkish Airlines!
RouteNew York to Istanbul via Skopje