Thai Lion Air

"Absolutely horrible airline"

Trip Verified | Absolutely horrible airline. Paid for the online option for checked baggage and when we arrived they said they had no history of any payment. We had 20kgs of luggage and they charged us $700 USD to get on the flight. I have never written a bad review for anywhere and I am absolutely outraged. I will never fly Thai Lion Air again. Horrible airline.
RouteKathmandu to Phuket
Date FlownMarch 2019

"never fly Thai Lion Air again"

Trip Verified | Phuket to Nagoya via Bangkok. I paid about 145 USD for the flight and tried to pay for excess baggage (about 80 USD for 20kg) on their website several times, but each time, the website denied my payment, despite my card having no problems. When it was time to check in, they asked for 500 USD to check my bag in. I understand most airlines charge more money at the check in counter, but it is extortion to ask for a customer to pay that amount in such short notice with no other options other than to miss the flight. I was not the only customer to have a problem paying on the website and it is ridiculous and a terrible service to have such an outrageous policy. I will never fly Thai Lion Air again.
RoutePhuket to Nagoya via Bangkok
Date FlownMarch 2019

"more and more annoying rules"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Have been a very frequent flier with Thai Lion Air over the last five years (probably around 100 times domestically). But year after year, more and more annoying “rules” (especially the now rather high charges for check-in luggage, higher than for instance on domestic flights in the USA!). On this flight, I tried to check in online. Always system error, only to be told at counter that online check-in internationally is not possible. Why then offer online check-in? By accident, I realized that there is no longer a free luggage allowance (English version of website still shows 20kg when trying to buy extra luggage). On this flight, a potential safety issue? Nobody sat in the emergency exit row in the middle of the plane (plane probably 80% full). Before take-off, a flight attendant addressed us five passengers sitting in the row behind the emergency exit row with “Since you are sitting in the emergency exit row...”. I stopped her right away, bringing to her attention that actually, nobody was sitting in any of the seats in that row. She did not seem concerned. I then suggested that some of us move to those seats, which we did after her “ok”. Admittedly, one flight attendant sat in the jumpseat on the right side of the emergency exit row during take-off and landing. But this experience made me feel rather uneasy, a low concern for security by the airline, possibly? Am now flying AirAsia instead.
RouteBangkok to Hanoi
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"definitely my last flight"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | My company bought me a Thai Lion Air ticket (Bangkok - Bali) through an agent and was told that pre-booking of luggage could only be made by the passenger personally and not by an agent. On the day before my departure I made five attempts to pre-book luggage through Lion Air's webpage (20 kgs, 25 US$ according to the table), but I got the same "System error" message each time I tried. At last I contacted the call center, but was kept waiting for a lenghty period and didn't have time to wait till the end. On the day of departure I went to the airport prepared to be charged a fee for un-booked luggage (expecting double or triple charge), but upon checkin I was met with a luggage charge of 320 US$ - equal to 13 times the pre-booked rate and double the price of the entire plane ticket. The staff were uninterested in the fact that their webpage didn't work. Long story short - I decided to buy an entirely new ticket for the same flight with 20 kgs included (150 US$). Having once again fallen prey to Lion Air's scams, this was definitely my last flight with that airline. Taking into consideration the airline's atrocious safety record and appalling business methods, I don't recommend anyone using this airline unless there are no other alternatives.
RouteBangkok to Denpasar Bali

"mistrusted, non-ethical"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Kathmandu. I think all the other comments summarized the kind of service you can expect from this airline. It’s a mistrusted, non-ethical, not reliable and non-authentic company. I received an email only 24 hours in advance saying that if I had more than 6kg of baggage we should pay at least 4 hours before. I had another flight that day, was sick, without counting the fact that wifi isn’t available everywhere in Asia, the chances I saw this email were low. Plus, at the airport, the employee only stated that the policy had changed and I even manage to bargain my overload carry-on baggage with her, reflecting the absence of transparency within that company. Seriously, it’s not the fact that I needed to pay the expensive amount that changed my opinion about this airline but mostly all of the process and because as a consumer flying in couple of hours, you absolutely need to pay the amount they ask you. The right of customers should be defend in those case and I will try my best to advice future/potentials customers about that horrible company.
RouteBangkok to Kathmandu
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"disregard for its customers"

Trip Verified | I had written a letter of complaint to Lion Air and received a form letter response: “Dear sir/madam, unfortunately this is our policy”. On January 26th, 2019 I flew Thai Lion Air from Bangkok to Denpasar. I purchased the ticket online for US$166.71 and at the airport was charged an additional check-in baggage at US$110.53 for a total of US$277.23 The website is designed with the intent to deceive. I have since notice that links in website have change regularly and/or have numerous dead links as they were at the time of my booking. I read "inclusive of baggage". I also read "20 kg check in baggage allowance on international flights". In small print I read "as of January 15, 2019". When I clicked the link the website went on at great length as to details for baggage but no fees that I could see were indicated. A reasonable rate for check-in baggage is not accepted upon check-in unless arriving four hours prior. I did in-fact arrive at the check-in counter four hours prior to the departure and was asked to come back an hour later because the check-in attendants were dealing with flights earlier than mine. Check-in attendants were not busy and the line was short so there was no reason not to accept me upon arrival. Regardless, I had no reason to rush and waited by the side. When I returned 3 hours prior to departure the availability of paying a lower rate for check in baggage had expired. My check-in baggage for an international trip lasting more than three weeks was less than 12kg. I was told by the service manager at the counter that the rate of TB3,500 was the best that could be offered. I was not given any other options other than to pay the full fee on top of a relatively high seat cost. Afterwards I was aware that there are several options that passengers took advantage of. I’ve spoken to other passengers regarding Lion Air. The opinions are not flattering and I wish this had been brought to my attention before. Examples include a passenger flying in transit to Australia that negotiated a highly discounted baggage fee which demonstrates Lion Air's inconsistent policy. Furthermore many passengers carry-on more than one bag most exceeding the size and weight stipulated by the metal rack the counter. Descriptions and photographs of the meals offered are grossly misrepresented. The image of pieces of chicken and sauce as depicted are not the gravy-soaked rice that is served. Lion Air's menu is a disgrace to Thai cuisine. Lastly, the flight crew do not distribute immigration cards to passengers. This is standard on international flights. Each of these issues reflect the total disregard for its customers from a company that uses the Thai name.
RouteBangkok to Denpasar
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"will charge you a fortune"

(China)

Trip Verified | Krabi to Bangkok. They will charge you a fortune if your bag is other the 7kg (yes, only 7kg) allowed for your cabin bag. You will have to check that bag in and pay for every kg, not for the extra, for every kg of that bag.
AircraftBoeing 737-900er
RouteKrabi to Bangkok
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"I recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Colombo. Great flight with free meal. All passenger get 30 kg baggage allowance and a free meal, tasty too. Everything smooth and on time, very cheap flight too. I recommend this airline.
RouteBangkok to Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"asked to pay for 17kg luggage"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Kathmandu. Arrived today to the airport and was asked to pay 8500 baht (over £200) for 17kg luggage. On the booking process there was no option to buy a luggage, so I assumed its free. The staff was rude and there was no way to lower the fee. Most of the people just decided to pay. I did not. Am now in Bangkok awaiting for Nepal Airlines to take me to Kathmandu. Similar cost as the baggage, but at least I have satisfaction not paying a penny to this. Never again.
RouteBangkok to Kathmandu
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"never fly with them again"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Dhaka to Bangkok. Dont use this airline! I booked a flight with them some week ago with extremely bad experience. When booking I used their app and ticked the luggage 15 kg button. On the itinerary I see no luggage included? I call their service center and the lady said I could pay on the airport with a slightly higher price. She would also send me a payment link which never came. At the airport they explained I had to pay 16$/kg, in total 240 $, which was twice the flight price !!! Talk about low cost airline ! After contacting customer service they explained there was no refund. The airplane was almost empty so they could easily have offer me the standard rate. No wonder it was empty with this treatment. I will never fly with them again.
RouteDhaka to Bangkok