Thai Lion Air

"Worst experience flying"

Not Verified | Bangkok to Colombo. Worst experience flying of my life. They are a complete scam. They made us wait in line at check-in for over an hour and I was at the airport 2 hours early, then, when I get to the counter the have me paid for my checked bag which I anticipated a good $70-80 but they said now I was too late SO, $177 later I checked my bag. Awful. They had no customer service representative for us to talk to (there was a group of us). I don't care how much more I have to pay, I will never fly Thai Lion again.
RouteBangkok to Colombo
Date FlownMarch 2020

"the most horrible airline"

Trip Verified | We’ve been traveling around Thailand for nearly 2 weeks - from Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Koh Sumai, Krabi and now heading to Bali, Indonesia for our honeymoon. And I had to take some time at the airport to leave this review because Thai Lion is by far the most horrible airline we’ve ever flown, period. They have no app and their website is complete crap. Always down. So accessing flight details or making changes is a nightmare, which makes the luggage bullet below even more frustrating. We had our flight cancelled and rescheduled 3 times within 48 - 24 hours from our flight which really cut into our plans in Bali. No explanation, simply an email sent. So we basically had to wake up at 3:00am to make our rescheduled flight, which still gets us there LATER than anticipated because of the layover. - We get to the airline and they dropped our luggage from our original tickets and would not let us check in without paying for luggage again. My husband (being the typical man, though he’s fairly good at this stuff) didn’t have a receipt so we had to repay for luggage. When you pay for luggage, you have to run to a separate counter and come BACK to the check-in area because they can’t process payments at the check-in area. What?! What century are you living in? Because we have a transfer in Bangkok, we have to pick up our own luggage from baggage claim and re-check it into our next flight. The hassle just keeps getting worse! We finally get on the plane and notice my husband and I’s seats have been separated by an entire row. Which isn’t a huge deal, but just a cherry on top of all the chaos. We finally get on and the plane is dirty. Still trash from the last flight. Another cherry on top. We almost missed our triple delayed flight to Bali all because of the incompetence of Thai Lion. And we weren’t even the most unlucky ones. Some people got dropped completely during the flight changes and were left stranded at the airport! Just don’t do it. Do yourself the favor and pay a little more for a separate airline - avoid the frustration, hassle, and risk. Wish we head know beforehand because we definitely would have.
RouteKrabi to Bangkok
Date FlownMarch 2020

"I had to pay for the flight twice"

Not Verified | After payment, I received a popup window telling me my booking failed and I need to try again. I then tried to contact the airline via phone and email for a booking confirmation. On the phone I was in the waiting line forever until I gave up and on my email I only received an answer over a week later, what was the day of my departure. Never have I received a bookig confirmation and then they write me 2 hours before schedueled flight time, that I am booked for the flight and can proceed check-in! Not knowing if I had a flight ticket, I booked a couple of days before my departure date with a different airline. I tried to resolve the matter with Lion Air, but their customer service is absolutely useless, replies weren't read, templates sent out, long periods between responses. I then requested a chargeback from my credit card provider what got turned down in the end. So I had to pay for the flight twice. Only to save a few Baht I would think twice now. Maybe a bigger provider is the better option.
RouteTreng to Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2019

"The worst company"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Phuket to Bangkok. I booked a round trip on trip.com from Bangkok to Phuket including a baggage 12 kg. When I return they said that the baggage wasn’t included to the return fight on 11 February. They demand 950 baht / 29 euro. The worst company. Avoid them.
RoutePhuket to Bangkok
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"customer service is the worst"

(Japan)

Not Verified | Tokyo Narita to Bali. Be sure to pay for baggage when purchasing ticket. We did not, and tried using their website a day in advance of our flight. No luck with the website, we went to the airport in Bali 5 hours ahead of our flight to get our bags prepaid. That failed as well ... there office was closed. Once the counter opened we were hustled into paying 430 US dollars for two suitcases, the heaviest weighed in at 12 kilos. No supervisor to be found. Ruined the ending of what was a great trip. Thai lion Air customer service is the worst.
RouteTokyo Narita to Bali
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Not bad at all"

Trip Verified | Krabi to Hanoi via Bangkok. Not bad at all. After reading reviews I was surprised. Paying for hold baggage was a pain and took a few phone calls but I managed. Paying at check-in is hugely expensive, which is common for budget airlines. Prepaying is much cheaper. Check in was fast and courteous. Boarding was no less manic than any other airline in Thailand. Flight was short and fine. As expected for an economy short flight. Bit of a Ryanair experience to be fair.
RouteKrabi to Hanoi via Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"a terrible airline to travel with"

Trip Verified | Kathmandu to Bangkok. This is a terrible airline to travel with. Please beware. This is the second time I am flying with Thai Lion Air and both times the flight was delayed. This time, it was delayed over 26 hours, and the boarding crew kept telling us that the plane was delayed for 2 hours, but we waited 11 hours at the airport. In the end the flight was cancelled and they put us up in a terrible hotel which did not even have hot water for a shower. They told us that we were going to leave in the morning, but in the end the flight was scheduled to leave at 2.15 pm and even then, the flight was delayed again. This is a terrible experience and I would not recommend anyone to fly with Thai Lion Air.
RouteKathmandu to Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"the trip was really good"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Denpasar to Bangkok. Our flight was perfect, check in was 5 minutes, departed on time, crew were polite, arrived on time. Plane was not super comfortable but was fine with sufficient leg space. Considering the flight cost us 100 dollars the trip was really good.
RouteDenpasar to Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"cheap way to fly around Asia"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Krabi. A cheap way to fly around Asia, knowing that, I don’t think you will be too disappointed with the no leg room, no customer service, excessive charges on carry on and checked baggage. So make sure you have your carry on weighed before you head to airport. Then if you check any bag it’s very very expensive. Somehow I made changes (twice) to my ticket. And after the whole transaction went through, they said they didn’t accept US credit cards! In shock. But the hotel clerk went into the site where I bought the ticket and twice was able to input my cc information. Just be aware, it’s Thailand, low cost carrier.
RouteBangkok to Krabi
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Ridiculous policy on carry-on"

Not Verified | Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Ridiculous policy on carry-on bags. If your bag weighs more than 7k you have to take items out of your bag and hold them. I ended up walking with my backpack, neck pillow, toiletry bag, running shoes and make up bag. It was so inconvenient that I just put my stuff back in my bag, but there was another scale at the gate before boarding so we had to go through the process again. When we got on the plane we stowed the carry on bags and just put all the extra items up in the overhead compartments, completely defeating the purpose of lightening our bags. Once seated my partner and I took out our lunches that we’d packed, only to be told that in fact, outside food isn’t allowed on the plane,there were no signs or announcements outlining this policy. We had to sneak bites of our food during the flight. When we landed the airline operated shuttle bus was broken and we had to stand in the isles (holding all of our items that had been pulled from our bags) for 25 minutes. Overall it was a pretty funny experience! Weird policies (attempt to make more money by charging baggage fees and making people buy food on the plane?) and one inconvenience after another!
RouteBangkok to Chiang Mai