Thai Lion Air

"Terrible service and management"

Trip Verified | Terrible service and management. I took the flight from Bangkok to Krabi and return flight Krabi to Bangkok, Thailand. Both flight were delayed. Bad service from the staff and the airline website is difficult to navigate and no updates for the flights were visible. Not recommended!
RouteKrabi to Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"will not fly with them again"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Krabi to Ubon via Bangkok. Flying from Krabi to Ubon we were unable to check bags through or get tickets for connecting flights in Bangkok. In this day and age that is ridiculous and downright lazy. To collect bags and check in again forced us to run through the airport even with a 2 hour layover. Thai Lion Air should review policies and update to stay competitive. We will not fly with them again.
RouteKrabi to Ubon via Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2018

"the whole experience was very good"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Flew to Kathmandu with Thai Lion and the whole experience was very good. Baggage Check-in was smooth. Flight took off on time and they also provided complimentary water (small bottle-Nestle) and a cheese roll (snack) on the flight. We also booked pre-flight meals (picture attached - 150 Bt) and it was not that bad. On Return to Bangkok, the journey was also smooth please ensure that your baggage doesn't exceed permitted allowance or you will have to face some hassle. This time we ordered on board meal but they were not that great, please if you fly with the airlines it's better to book pre-board meals in advance. The ones that they offer on board (Rice with Garlic Chicken (130 Bt) and Red Chilly Rice (130 Baht) were not that great and they don't have too many other food options besides some cup noodles and other snacks. For a budget airlines, the overall service was good! - 3 star out of 5.
RouteBangkok to Kathmandu
Date FlownDecember 2018

"shocked by this behavior"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Bangkok. This airline denied me boarding even though I had a confirmed flight. Their own portal sent me the confirmation and receipt for the ticket I paid for. Yet the counter claimed they had no record of the booking and Thai Lion Air claimed I had not paid for the return flight despite having issued a receipt. I am taking this up with my Insurance and consumer protection authorities. I am totally shocked by this behavior.
RouteSingapore to Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2018

"my $400 suitcase damaged"

(Thailand)

Not Verified | Bangkok to Kathmandu; the flight was efficient and smooth there was not any inflight entertainment in more than 3 hours flight. I did not expect either as it was a budget airline. So, BKK - Kathmandu route was OK for me. But while returning back I lost much more than what I saved choosing budget airline. My return flight was on the 30th Oct 2018 from Kathmandu to Bangkok via SL221 and landed in the night at Don Muang airport. The flight was smooth and on time. But unfortunately, I got my $400 suitcase damaged. I could not notice the damage when I collected at the airport. But later once I got into my apartment I did and communicated later with photo of the damaged suitcase and other details, but I did not get any response. Then again, I forwarded my email in the following day but no response! Wish I should have get a least an acknowledgement/response to my email If not the reimbursement! It is really unpleasant for me to get my such an expensive suitcase damaged, therefore, I would think twice before using a budget airline or to travel with cheap suitcase. If you add the benefits including the food/drinks and entertainment that you get free of cost in other airlines (those that are not budget airlines), there is not much saving.
RouteKathmandu to Bangkok
Date FlownOctober 2018

"being taken advantage of"

Trip Verified | Phuket to Bangkok. Thai Lion Air charged us over ten times the posted rate for excess baggage, because we did not give them four hours notice. It is hard enough to navigate all the intricacies of travelling in a different country, without being taken advantage of in such a shame manner. Until now, we have experienced nothing but kindness and hospitality during our time in Thailand. This experience badly impacted this amazing experience.
RoutePhuket to Bangkok
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Great value for budget airline"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Jakarta. Great value for a budget airline, as checked-in luggage is included in the basic fare. Plane was clean and the flight was on time. Staff a bit distant, seemingly bothered by passengers present, but nothing horrible. The greatest pain is that this airline doesn't accept payment for tickets with foreign cards, so tickets must be bought via 3rd party sites with a mark-up.
RouteBangkok to Jakarta
Date FlownOctober 2018

"worst seat pitch ever"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Flew Thai Lion Air from Bangkok to Krabi. The worst leg room ever. Only 17 centimeters (8.6inch), impossible for a western person to sit properly, leave alone comfortably. Slightly more than the length of a passport, or exactly my 6.4 inch mobile phone. I never sat less comfortably in any airplane in all my life.
RouteBangkok to Krabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Just pathetic"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Phuket to Bangkok. Originally scheduled to fly out around 11:50, we woke up quite early to catch the bus as it only comes around once per hour. We ate breakfast, checked out of our hotel, and went to catch the bus. We arrived at the airport only to find our flight had been delayed by nearly 3 hours. So, instead of relaxing in our hotel or the beach, we're stuck waiting an extra 3 hours. They didn't even apologize, nor did they offer any kind of compensation. Just pathetic.
RoutePhuket to Bangkok
Date FlownAugust 2018

" not worth the headache"

(China)

Trip Verified | Surat Thani to Bangkok. You don’t save money by using Thai Lion Air. You get stranded and lots of hassle and additional expense. Due to their flight being late to Surat Thani, my flight to Bangkok took off over 1.5 hours late, causing me to miss my connecting international flight in Bangkok. I notified the staff in Surat Thani as soon as I realized this was going to happen. They pulled my luggage for me to carry rather than check it, and tried to make me throw away all my liquids, including things I had just bought in Thailand. I refused. This didn’t help anyway, as their flight was too late to get through security and get to the outgoing plane on time, even though it was still at the gate. They had told me to go directly to a specific gate when I arrived in Bangkok, saying they had notified them to expect me. When I went to that gate they acted like they didn’t know what I was talking about and sent me to the customer service counter. After running frantically back and forth, they told me I can’t get on my flight and only one flight a day went to my destination so they’d reschedule me for the next day, 24 hours later. When I asked about them getting me a hotel room, the Thai lion employee went into robot mode saying “according to our policy, when our flight is delayed an hour or an hour and a half, we will reschedule your flight for free”. She wouldn’t answer my question about a hotel room and just kept repeating that phrase. She literally just didn’t care what happened to me. I called their customer service number who would only tell me to talk to the staff at the airport. So I was stuck in the airport. I ended up having to book a hotel at my own expense and pay a taxi to get me there. Totally not worth the headache, aggravation, and additional expense. Save your money and fly on an airline who cares about their customers.
RouteSurat Thani to Bangkok