Thai Lion Air

"being taken advantage of"

Trip Verified | Phuket to Bangkok. Thai Lion Air charged us over ten times the posted rate for excess baggage, because we did not give them four hours notice. It is hard enough to navigate all the intricacies of travelling in a different country, without being taken advantage of in such a shame manner. Until now, we have experienced nothing but kindness and hospitality during our time in Thailand. This experience badly impacted this amazing experience.
RoutePhuket to Bangkok
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Great value for budget airline"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Jakarta. Great value for a budget airline, as checked-in luggage is included in the basic fare. Plane was clean and the flight was on time. Staff a bit distant, seemingly bothered by passengers present, but nothing horrible. The greatest pain is that this airline doesn't accept payment for tickets with foreign cards, so tickets must be bought via 3rd party sites with a mark-up.
RouteBangkok to Jakarta
Date FlownOctober 2018

"worst seat pitch ever"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Flew Thai Lion Air from Bangkok to Krabi. The worst leg room ever. Only 17 centimeters (8.6inch), impossible for a western person to sit properly, leave alone comfortably. Slightly more than the length of a passport, or exactly my 6.4 inch mobile phone. I never sat less comfortably in any airplane in all my life.
RouteBangkok to Krabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Just pathetic"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Phuket to Bangkok. Originally scheduled to fly out around 11:50, we woke up quite early to catch the bus as it only comes around once per hour. We ate breakfast, checked out of our hotel, and went to catch the bus. We arrived at the airport only to find our flight had been delayed by nearly 3 hours. So, instead of relaxing in our hotel or the beach, we're stuck waiting an extra 3 hours. They didn't even apologize, nor did they offer any kind of compensation. Just pathetic.
RoutePhuket to Bangkok
Date FlownAugust 2018

" not worth the headache"

(China)

Trip Verified | Surat Thani to Bangkok. You don’t save money by using Thai Lion Air. You get stranded and lots of hassle and additional expense. Due to their flight being late to Surat Thani, my flight to Bangkok took off over 1.5 hours late, causing me to miss my connecting international flight in Bangkok. I notified the staff in Surat Thani as soon as I realized this was going to happen. They pulled my luggage for me to carry rather than check it, and tried to make me throw away all my liquids, including things I had just bought in Thailand. I refused. This didn’t help anyway, as their flight was too late to get through security and get to the outgoing plane on time, even though it was still at the gate. They had told me to go directly to a specific gate when I arrived in Bangkok, saying they had notified them to expect me. When I went to that gate they acted like they didn’t know what I was talking about and sent me to the customer service counter. After running frantically back and forth, they told me I can’t get on my flight and only one flight a day went to my destination so they’d reschedule me for the next day, 24 hours later. When I asked about them getting me a hotel room, the Thai lion employee went into robot mode saying “according to our policy, when our flight is delayed an hour or an hour and a half, we will reschedule your flight for free”. She wouldn’t answer my question about a hotel room and just kept repeating that phrase. She literally just didn’t care what happened to me. I called their customer service number who would only tell me to talk to the staff at the airport. So I was stuck in the airport. I ended up having to book a hotel at my own expense and pay a taxi to get me there. Totally not worth the headache, aggravation, and additional expense. Save your money and fly on an airline who cares about their customers.
RouteSurat Thani to Bangkok
Date FlownJuly 2018

"This airline is a nightmare"

Not Verified | The worst airline I have traveled with in 20 years. All flights booked were delayed. We traveled from Krabi to Bangkok, which was 1 hour delayed and an additional 1 sitting on the plane before we can get out of the airplane. We were late for our flight to Chiang Mai from Bangkok, which was booked on the same airline. Because of this we missed the flight, they rebook us for the 10:40 flights to Chiang Mai which was also delayed for another 40 minutes. There was a flight at 9:4pm which we were not booked on and we had to wait 6 hours between our missed flight to the newly booked flights. I have to stay standing at the ticket counter for 1 hour plus to rebook our missed flights and this was not even due to my own fault. On our flight back from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, the flight was also 1hr 30 minutes delay. This airline is a nightmare, not worth the 10 to 20 dollars saved. Book another airlines. I will never use this airline again. It is unreliable and consistently late and unorganized.
RouteBangkok to Chiang Mai
Date FlownJune 2018

" will use them again"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Singapore. A very efficient journey from check in to arrival. The aircraft was new, crew well trained and courteous and the flight well managed despite the light turbulence. My first flight on Lion Air Thai and I will use them again.
RouteBangkok to Singapore
Date FlownMay 2018

"Terrible airline experience"

Trip Verified | Terrible airline experience. Upon boarding we all sat in sweltering heat. No AC at all during boarding. The service cart zoomed through the cabin not offering so much as a glass of water. Upon arrival at Don Mueang Airport, we had to wait on the plane for over 20 minutes for the shuttle bus to arrive. We had to wait an additional 30 minutes for our checked bags. These delays caused us to miss our connection on Nokair to Phuket which amounted to flushing about 4000 baht down the toilet as we had to buy new tickets and wait another hour. Thai Lion Air does not care about customer service.
RouteUdon Thani to Bangkok
Date FlownJune 2018

"very cramped legroom"

(Cyprus)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Phuket. First of all, good to have a new A330 on this short route. However very cramped legroom, 1.5 hours delay after a previous 2 hour time change a couple of weeks before. Crew looked confused, no food or drinks service. For what I paid it was just about OK. Do not book tight connections with this airline and always give yourself some wiggle room in case they change the schedule. Have to say the premium economy seats at the front looked great but for a short flight I wouldn't bother. Dont ever think you will get any compensation in Asia for flight delays. Thank goodness we have in the EU that offers us some protection as travellers and not be at the mercy of an airline that want to play about with you.
RouteBangkok to Phuket
Date FlownApril 2018

"scattered in flight"

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Bangkok. Accepted that its a Economy flight but cabin crew did not offer free water you have to purchase in flight with high rate. They dont allow outside dry food to eat in flight. In return journey from Bangkok to Mumbai; during check-in they allocated me seat at time of boarding the seat number they changed. Family members get scattered in flight and lot of confusion in flight which delay the flight take-off for 35-40 minutes.
RouteMumbai to Bangkok