Thai Airways

"onboard service was very good"

Trip Verified | I took a flight Krabi to Shanghai, connecting to Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi airport. The aircraft from Krabi to Bangkok was an A330 and the aircraft for the Shanghai leg was an A350. The aircrafts were in a good condition. I enjoyed the Airbus A350 because the cabin was quieter during take off. The Check in was fine, despite that I had to claim my bags at the connection point because I had a booking on stand by meaning that I would fly if there's space available. Fortunatly I had plenty of time to do so. The onboard service was very good. A snack was provided on the domestic leg and a full hot meal was provided on the International leg. The crew was simply great and amazing. They seemed happy to serve passengers with smiles. It was not the first time that I took Thai Airways and this time I got to enjoyed one their newest aircrafts. The only downside is that they don't fly across the Pacific to North America anymore. I won't doubt to fly again with Thai Airways if I have a chance to return in Thailand.
RouteKrabi to Shanghai via Bangkok
Date FlownApril 2019

"received a warm welcome"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Thai uses a 1-2-1 configuration in business class on this aircraft. The price of a paid ticket on this route was about $700, and I paid 27,500 miles plus $100 in taxes. I specifically chose flights which were on their long-haul aircraft. The check in was fast, and with their gold members, Thai ask if we are satisfied with our seat selection or would prefer otherwise. Lounge located after check in not the best, but certainly not the worst. It filled up gradually. There is a 30 minute complimentary foot or back massage for business class customers. This flight was full in business. I had seat 15K which was staggered away from the aisle. I received a warm welcome by name and was asked what I would like to drink. I settled with a mimosa, and their champagne (Vevue Cliquot) has become my favourite. The service on this flight was prompt. Meal choices on the outbound were 3 chicken dishes, Thai, Western or Chinese style. I chose the Thai style which was fried rice with chicken and chinese sausage. A very authentic Thai breakfast, but the choice puzzles me. I had preordered my inbound meal, and it was a beef tenderloin steak with grilled veg and potatoes, and the beef was very tender. The seat has got to be one of the best business class seats I have experienced. It is comfortable, with a 180 degree recline, foot room is large, and there are storage areas around the seats. One thing to be improved is that the fabric is worn out and is due for replacement. The cabin crew on these flights are some of the most warm crew I've ever met. Everything was bought out on a tray and placed at your seat. I had some really nice conversations. It is true Thai hospitality. Entertainment is good, but Thai don't have the widest selection. Thai have some serious competition with Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific, and Thai charges some ridiculously high fares for their business class. I've got another ticket on Thai booked, but unfortunately this time it's in economy. There are little things which make up for all the bad things.
AircraftA350-900
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong
Date FlownApril 2019

"Food is absolutely terrible"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London. I have flown Thai many times over the past 26 years and although the inflight entertainment has improved considerably the rest of the service gets worse. The cabin was so hot when we were boarding people were fanning themselves with anything they could find. It didn't get better after take off. I had words with a staff member and she did eventually get the temperature a lot cooler. Then hours into the journey the plane became a fridge. I would have thought technology on a modern aircraft could keep the temperature at a reasonable level. Also on this aircraft there are no personal air vents so you are reliant on the crew knowing what they are doing. When the seat in front fully reclines there is very little room. You have to recline your own seat to focus on the TV screen. Food is absolutely terrible on Thai. 90% of the passengers are European. Rice, Thai chicken sausages and a fried egg slapped on top might be fine for Thai customers but everyone I could see barely touched their food. Thai must throw away so much food in one flight - the only food myself and my family enjoyed was a Kit Kat in my son's goody box that Thai gave him. Cabin crew haven't improved over the years. Still poor communicators. On a positive note, check in staff were very good and efficient at Bangkok.
RouteBangkok to London
Date FlownApril 2019

"the crew service was good"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Dubai. The pre departure facility for Thai Airways is very good as you have an exclusive check in area with its own security and immigration which is excellent. The escalator takes you directly into the lounge and business class passengers have a fee 30 minute spa session which is again excellent and very relaxing. There was a delay of an hour at the gate which was not managed efficiently. In the flight there was no wifi working and no interactive flight maps so it was frustrating not to know the details of your flight, and a total lack of information being relayed by the captain and not a word of apology for the delay or the reason. In any case, the flight was overall good and the crew service was good. The best part was the choice of Thai meal with soup, salad, main course and dessert- all Thai cuisine.
AircraftA350-500
RouteBangkok to Dubai
Date FlownApril 2019

"flight was already departed"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Sydney via Bangkok. The transit period was 1 hour and 30 minutes at Bangkok. The flight was delayed from India by an hour and so. When I arrived to Bangkok there was a person with the board with just written gate number on it. I noticed the gate number and tried to find the way to it. After some time I get to know which way to go. Then there were no one who can quickly do security check as My flight is about to depart. By the time I arrived on gate my flight was already departed. I went to the ticket counter they said its my mistake that I couldn’t catch flight. And if I want to catch next flight then I need to pay $372 AUD. However the initial plan was delayed it was not my fault. Then nobody notified that flight is about to depart they just told the gate number. I don’t know the way to gate it was also not my fault. There was long queue in security check and for us there were no arrangements to clear the security check quickly and reach to the gate again it was not my fault. I had to spend whole 24 hours at airport. They didn’t provide any lounge or complementary food
RouteDelhi to Sydney via Bangkok
Date FlownMarch 2019

"They changed my seat number"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh City to Bangalore via Bangkok. The staff attitude, service and aircraft quality is much better from Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok compared to Bangkok to Bangalore. They changed my seat number without asking or telling. No individual air conditioning vents for Bangalore flights.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Bangalore via Bangkok

"service was mediocre"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Seoul. New A350 is a good hard product with reasonably comfortable seat and ok IFE (selection quite limited but screen and system itself good and intuitive). Unfortunately service was mediocre at best. It was a late evening flight so was happy that they skipped a full meal and gave a goodie bag with a small sandwich and water instead for those who wanted to go straight to sleep. However, during the next three hours of the flight I didn’t see a single cabin crew to offer drinks to passengers. When I went to the galley to ask for some water and ask why not a single round of service was offered, the crew’s reply was that they were getting ready to serve breakfast. Surely it doesn’t take 4h to prep breakfast so that was a very lame excuse. TG was a far cry from a 4 or 5 star experience.
RouteBangkok to Seoul
Date FlownMarch 2019

"long haul is still very good"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Melbourne. Thai Airways deploys their newest aircraft the A350 for this popular route.It's red eye at 1 am going, but a very nice 3 pm returning. 1x2x1 flat beds, with aisle access for every seat. Mandarina duck or Lacoste basic toiletry kits are given. AKG noise canceling headphones are supplied, which is of high quality. On board wifi is available, and we are given a 20 MB free connection coupon, a nice gesture. Meal services for these long haul sectors score far better than their regional ones. Crew work diligently throughout the flights. The 1 pm arrival is perfect , as Melbourne airport is very quiet at that time, making through immigration and customs was a bliss. The fast track we were given was not necessary to be used at that time. It is interesting to note that, compare to TG on their regional route, it's like a different airlines when they are doing long haul. Based on my recent experience, I can pass up on their regional flights, but their long haul is still very good.
RouteBangkok to Melbourne

"oldest aircraft type "

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Bangkok. The service and aircraft quality of this regional sector keeps dropping. For this sector, the oldest aircraft type and seats are deployed. Service is patchy, forgetful (almost forgot to serve welcome drinks), extra blankets are stored above my overhead lockets, which meant no space for my cabin bags. Crew did not hide that he was not happy that I asked to have these bundles re-located, I believe it's my basic right to have the use of that space. The meal quality has sunken to another low, everything stacked onto one tray, very mediocre in taste, and small in portion. The main course plate was 3 spoons of rice, some veggie, few tiny pieces of grilled meat. Dessert for TG nowadays are all served on a glass, regardless whatever it is. They parked the aircraft in a far away outside bay in BKK, their home ground. One bus for biz class, another 2 for economy, and the ride was quite long. Very sad to see my once-favourite (and quite outstanding) airlines has reduced to this, making it very hard for me to choose them again.
AircraftA330 / B777-200
RouteHong Kong to Bangkok

"Quite normal experience"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Phuket to Bangkok. Staff at Phuket were very helpful with our check in as we had separate tickets with a different airline the same day. Flight itself was late about 45mins. Plane was quite spacious but very old and you can really see it. However many other airlines such as Bangkok airways offer more seating on smaller planes. Snack was a small calzone and served its purpose well. Quite normal experience without anything special apart from the great ground service.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER