Thai Airways

"seem to to be using COVID as an excuse to cut all costs"

Not Verified | Honestly the worst flight (from booking through to landing) that I have ever had. Before flight needed to contact Thai Airways and all their phone lines are completely closed due to Covid. Only way to contact them is through email which they do not reply (still not received any reply after 6 weeks to an email sent before this flight) or Facebook messenger where they are unable to help with anything anyway. This fact alone should stop anyone booking with Thai Airways in the current Covid situation as if anything goes wrong that requires you to contact Thai Airways (which in the current situation is always a fairly high possibility) there is literally no way to contact them. As a comparison with my recent flight with Singapore Airlines they replied to emails within the hour, and phone calls within 2 minutes. Then the flight - Seats are the usual Thai Airways business class product. Nowhere near the best, but not bad and as expected. However for a 12 hour flight there was no inflight entertainment. Apparently due to risk of covid from people touching the screens. (Obviously that is completely different from people touching seats or trays). Far more important for safety should have been the used washbag that was still in my seat when I sat down, and the rubbish in my wife’s seat. Clearly Thai Airways cleaning measures during COVID are inferior to other airlines cleaning measures during normal times, let alone in the current situation. No WiFi. Didn't bother me as I rarely drink alcohol on planes, but for information purposes there is no alcohol available apparently due to Covid. Again for comparison Singapore Airlines inflight entertainment currently works fine. Clearly just a cost cutting measure from an airline in financial trouble. Which when paying a normal Business Class fare is just completely unacceptable. Poor quality food (economy class meal standard). Main served mostly cold. Of course being served on one tray is understandable in the situation, but what is not understandable is the pathetic quality. Again other airlines are still managing to serve good quality food. They frankly just seem to to be using COVID as an excuse to cut all costs and offer an appalling business product The only good thing that could be said about the whole experience is as usual the cabin crew were generally friendly when they were actually in the cabin. But that obviously does not make up for appalling food, no entertainment on a 12 hour Business Class Flight, no ability to contact anyone at the airline by phone to make changes to tickets (something that is actually more important during the current COVID situation, not less so), tired and worn seat, poor boarding procedures, uncompetitive carry on luggage for business class etc. Used to be a good airline (I have flown them many times before in First, Business and also Economy) but they have gone so far downhill I will never be flying them again unless I have a flight for which it is completely unavoidable. Would recommend people avoid them at all costs.
RouteLondon to Bangkok
Date FlownApril 2021

"Flight was excellent"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok. Thank you so much Thai Airways for this special charter flight and for getting all the teachers back into Thailand. Flight was excellent; on time with excellent food. No alcohol due to Covid presumably. IFE a bit sparse but just about adequate. Toilets generally kept clean. Friendly and efficient crew.
RouteLondon to Bangkok
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"cannot fault Thai Airways product"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Rome in January 2020.. I used my Royal Orchid Plus gold Frequent-flier upgrade to fly business class on this flight. I had reserved the meals onboard before checking in, as Thai have a small menu for business class fliers to choose from. Check in at Bangkok airport was very well appointed, with sit-down check in desks at Row A in Suvarnabhumi Airport. Even though they’re not part of the same alliance, they even checked my luggage through on Alitalia. Private security and immigration for biz/first is such a treat, i was through in seconds. Then you’re directly down an escalator to the Royal Orchid Lounge. It’s an amazing lounge, they even include a 30 minute free massage for biz passengers, and I recommend heading to the spa first thing before heading to the lounge to reserve your spa appointment. Boarding was done by bus and stairs, and we pushed back on time. Before pushback a flight attendant came around and greeted us by name. She confirmed my meal order and asked my mum what she would like for dinner. I found out from a friend flying to Brussels that all flights to Europe get the exact same choices when he sent me a picture of his dinner. Some interesting welcome drinks were bought to you, a choice of tamarind ice tea, champagne, and a Thai floral drink I cannot remember the name of. All flights had a very light load, and I switched seats for sleeping/eating. The first course was foie gras terrine, followed by a Thai main course which I preordered, spicy shrimp coconut curry, served with a beef pho-style broth, and steamed veggies. It was just what I wanted. Comfort food. There was a small dessert before I dozed off. Before landing the flight attendant woke me up and promptly served a plate of cold cuts and cheese, but I wasn’t full so I asked for the Thai breakfast, boiled rice soup with Shrimp and pork meatballs. On the return flight I had a veal dish for lunch, and Thai style omelette with boiled rice soup and chicken for breakfast, the veal dish was quite exquisite but the breakfast is easily described as comfort food for me. The new dishware is quite bleak. Service on the flights were immaculate. Very prompt as you should be on a late night flight, a full meal service finished an hour after takeoff. Day flights are a little less rushed. The flight attendants are courteous and professional. The seat is very comfortable and Thai provide a mattress cover which makes the bed more comfortable. The footwell is also quite large. Ground service in Rome was very nice, the Alitalia lounge was very good. However I’d recommend taking a detour to the D gates and going to the Star Alliance Lounge in Fiumicino Airport. It’s got very nice views of the airport. Overall I cannot fault Thai Airways product.
AircraftA350-900
RouteBangkok to Rome
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"welcome us onboard with smile"

(Thailand)

Not Verified | Bangkok to Bali on Thai Boeing 777, the plane seat was very comfortable the food was great. I also had a time to use the inflight entertainment. Sadly, the flight time to Bali was only 4 hrs. The cabin crew welcome us onboard with smile.
RouteBangkok to Denpasar
Date FlownJune 2019

"charge me $150 to get my refund"

Trip Verified | I book at ticket with Thai, but then informed (not by Thai, but by a friend) that I need a negative COVID test, which you can't get cause you can't get tested. I have a doctors certificate stating I am healthy and not showing symptoms, but this isn't enough and I'm not allowed on the flight. When I then ask for a refund, Thai charge me $150 to get my refund. This is completely ridiculous as I did not choose to cancel my flight, I was not allowed on the flight! I had to buy another ticket with another airline because Thai wouldn't allow me.
RouteMelbourne to Copenhagen via Bangkok
Date FlownMay 2020

"poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Whilst on my holiday in Bangkok, Thai Airways changed my flight from 28.3.2020 00.01 am to 29.3.2020 7.20 am changing my flight from TG483 to TG481 with no consent and no prior communication. As soon as I received an e-mail notifying me about this change, I contacted Thai airways via e-mail stating we could not fly on the 29th so the flight would have to be moved to the 25th or the 27th. I sent this same e-mail to 4 different email addresses to not receive a reply for 4 days - ended up having a reply from the Sydney office. I explained the situation and asked for the 29th flight that we couldn’t take to be moved to an earlier date with a few options and again didn't receive a reply for a another few days! and the reply I received kept stating that Thai airways would be cancelling flights from 27th march onwards. If that were the case, why couldn’t Thai airways accommodate my request of simply changing the 29th flight to an earlier date? At this point I had to book and pay for another flight departing on the 25th. I had to also call the 24 hour line multiple times to have an automated message inform me the call will drop out after 15 minutes at the same time stating the wait time was 27 minutes, I had the hotel call to try and speak to someone who knew anything and could possibly help only to be hung up on and told 'I can help you', you need to contact the Perth office when I return to Australia '. To this day I still have no reply from any of my e-mails I sent trying to correct flights from the date of change on 18 March 2020 and I had relentlessly been trying. Such poor customer service and showed no care for rectifying any issues they have caused or even a response for clarity.
RouteBangkok to Perth
Date FlownApril 2020

"cancelled due to coronavirus"

Trip Verified | Flights were cancelled due to coronavirus which is understandable but the lack of communication is terrible. I have been mailing for 1.5 months and no zero response. What a bad customer service.
RouteMunich to Hanoi via Bangkok
Date FlownApril 2020

"it could be so much better"

Not Verified | Bangkok to London. Pros - Check-in smooth and efficient. Comfortable seat, good friendly efficient cabin crew. Flight was smooth and uneventful. Cons - Entertainment was not as varied as some (could take lessons from Emirates, Qatar and EVA) with poor choice of music and almost all TV shows were American - don't Thai know there are very good TV shows made in other English speaking countries?. Food was tasty and hot but portions were small. No menu cards offered so, didn't know what was being served until cabin crew offered "chicken or pork"? No mention of other items on the food tray. Mid flight sandwiches were kept in galley and not offered to seated passengers. At no point (other than meal times) did cabin crew come round offering drinks. Thai isn't a bad airline but, with simple attention to detail it could be so much better and only then would it be a real challenger to Emirates, Qatar or EVA. As it stands Thai lags behind the opposition.
RouteBangkok to London
Date FlownMarch 2020

"staff are polite and helpful"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Delhi to Bangkok. Thai Airways staff are polite and helpful. Aircraft very clean. Departure and arrival on time. I loved the video of Thai for safety. The seats are big. They use 3 seats in every line, so much more space.
RouteDelhi to Bangkok
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"kind flight attendants"

(Czech Republic)

Not Verified | Vienna to Bangkok. Flying with Thai airways International was an amazing experience, even, when I was in economy class. We have kind flight attendants and very good meal on both my flights from Vienna to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi and back. Recommend it
RouteVienna to Bangkok