Thai AirAsia

"in the end its fine"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Surat Thani. The airline is fine, but they have an issue with customer service. They changed our flight schedule, and we tried to contact them to cancel our flight many times and could never reach anyone. They dont answer phone calls, its all thru their chat robot, which never connects you to a real person. Since they changed the hour of our flight, they should give us the option to cancel, they didnt. We ended up having to do a much longer trip changing our other transportation to fit this flight. I wont say I don't recommend this airline due to one incident, because its cheap, so in the end its fine. but I wanted to let people know their customer service is atrocious.
RouteBangkok to Surat Thani
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"I ended up with three seats"

Trip Verified | Nagoya to Bangkok on Thai Air Asia. I ended up with three seats because people moved. I did not have food. I will fly them again.
RouteNagoya to Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2019

"I have to turn off the phone"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Phuket. Worst airline i have traveled with. I am regular size and barely fit into seat. I do not understand the point of printing tickets at home when I then have to stand in the same queue and wait for baggage drop. Stewardess comes to me 5 times to tell me that I have to turn off the phone that flight mode is not enough. Not flying with them again.
RouteBangkok to Phuket

"pay a huge mark up"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Bangkok. Everything is good except when I went to check my luggage, it cost $200 usd, on the internet check in was priced $75 but they shut down the option to check in within 24 hr. It forced me to go to the check in counter and pay a huge mark up to check one luggage, and the line to check in was so long only 3 girls working and 3 just to collect.
RouteTokyo to Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"We had a good experience"

Trip Verified | Chiang Rai to Trang via Bangkok. We had a good experience with Air Asia as we were worried about the bad reviews here. Check-in went great, pre-booked luggage was also no problem. Both planes were a little late (about 30 minutes), but that was no problem. The staff seemed good English speaking as they also answered questions.
RouteChiang Rai to Trang via Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2019

"eliminate the recline button"

Trip Verified | Chiang Mai to Hanoi. Over 6 foot tall, book an exit seat. Although cramped, the interior was fresh and bright, the cabin crew professional and polite, and even the lavatories were clean. If only they would eliminate the recline button on the seats. Unfortunately, there are still travelers that just don’t consider fellow passengers when it comes to leg room.
AircraftA320-200
RouteChiang Mai to Hanoi
Date FlownDecember 2019

"tried to add baggage to reservation"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Bangkok. I am appalled with Air Asia’s customer service. I tried to add baggage to my reservation when checking in online 24 hr before my flight. The website would not allow me to do so. I tried maybe 10 times before finally giving up and deciding to pay at the counter for my bags. I explained this to a counter agent and then eventually a supervisor at check in. They told me it was my fault and that the time to add bags at a cheaper price had passed. There was nothing they could do. Instead of paying $42 for my checked bag like I would have online for my 50 pound bag, I ended up paying $430 in order to board the flight! They made me and my mom check our carry ons as well in order to increase the price. We had the standard small roller suitcases as carry ons and also one small personal item to fit under the seat in front of us. They wouldn’t allow us to take our small roller bags as carry ons even though every other passenger was allowed. These baggage policies are outrageous! The total of $430 costs more than what the fare for 4 tickets would normally cost on this airline. This airline has cheap fares but where they get you is in the baggage fees by not allowing you to add checked baggage ahead of time. And then they blame it on their website. Once on the flight, we sat in the plane with everyone boarded for 30 min before departing and then another 20 min on the runway. No announcement given to explain the delay, we just sat there for 50 min without any air conditioning. This was also the loudest flight I have ever been, passengers were yelling in their conversations with each other. The flight team could have at least asked them to quiet down. We had to pay for inflight service, even water. As we deboarded the flight, many passengers unloaded their smaller roller suitcases and also had backpacks. We were clearly singled out in having to pay for our carry on bags at check in.
RouteShanghai to Bangkok

"charged $40 for 15kg"

Trip Verified | Siem Reap to Bangkok. They wait for unassuming customers to come to the counter and hold them hostage with check in baggage fees. Online there is no reference the fee doubling when paid at counter. You can't pay online at counter. Even in the US domestic flights charge $35 for first check in. If you don't pre check online 5 hours before the flight you will be charged $40 for 15kg. Online you pay $22 for up to 20kg. I do not recommend this Thai AirAsia.
RouteSiem Reap to Bangkok

"Very good experience"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Hat Yai to Chiang Mai. Good flight. Boarding and take off on time. Good seats. Quite nice flight attendant service. Smooth flight and landing on time. Very good experience with this airline.
RouteHat Yai to Chiang Mai

"so-called prohibited item"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | Bangkok to Penang. I had an issue with bringing in an so-called prohibited item at Thailand Don Muang airport to board the plane via carry on baggage. Never faced restriction for this item on any other international airports. The item is Baj used by Sikhs for their Turban. The security staff of the airport asked me to get the airline staff to come and discuss with them if they would allow or able to help me in any way to bring on the item either through check-in baggage or any other way. When approached to the Thai Air Asia staff at the departure Gate 5 for help, they rudely responded that if the security said is prohibited then we cannot do anything without even trying to talk with the security staff. Then when asked if any way to bring in the item maybe through check-in baggage then they further rudely responded that all the baggage have been stocked into the plane and told me to direct cancel the flight and there will not be any refund. The Thai Air Asia staff at the departure gate 5 were extremely rude and not helping at all.
RouteBangkok to Penang