TAP Portugal

"No welcome drink"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Lisbon. We pre selected our business class seats on our flight and when we got on the airplane it was not set up as was selected online when selecting the seats, there were no business class seats. They had economy seats with a little more space. No special treatment at all. At check in they switched your seat assignments and then you find out why. Would never spend a dime on upgrades with this airline. No welcome drink.
RouteBerlin to Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2019

"TAP Portugal has been an absolute disaster"

Trip Verified | This was an international flight and what was supposed to be a enjoyable vacation with my girlfriend turned into a nightmare within the first 24 hours. The flight was scheduled to depart from Miami on Friday and arrive in Madrid at 8.35 am, with a layover in Lisbon. According to the pilot, although we were boarded and on the plane in Miami at the correct time, we were delayed about 45 minutes because we were “waiting for a flight plan”. Mind you, the plane was originally scheduled to land in Lisbon in the morning at 5.20 am, with the connecting flight to Madrid leaving only an hour later at 6.20 am. Even without the delay, it would have been damn near impossible to get to that connecting flight before they closed the doors. We had to exit the plane outside of a gate and catch a bus to the terminal, then go through passport check and then go through another round of security. There was no way we would have been able to get through that in time to make the flight, so therefore they sold us an impossible connecting flight. Do not purchase a ticket with a connecting flight with TAP Portugal. Even 30 minutes before we arrived, we politely spoke to flight attendants about our situation and asked if people catching that flight to Madrid could exit the plane first in order to make it on time. The flight attendants were rude and replied that we would have to deal with that problem with the airport employees when we land. Once we landed, because of the delay, there was no time to get to our connecting flight and there were several others (and I mean several as in 20+) on the same plane that also missed their connecting flights, causing a chaos upon arrival of people scrambling to get flights changed. It wasn’t until 8.50 am, 3 hours after landing, that we were serviced and put on a new flight to Madrid. Let me also inform you that we had scheduled and bought a non-refundable, non-exchangable train ride from Madrid at 3.30, which cost us $200. The plan was to spend the morning in Madrid and then head to Barcelona that afternoon. The agent was able to give us a new flight to Madrid, however it was boarding when she informed us this was going to be our new flight so we had to run across the terminal to catch the flight! Before we ran to our gate, we asked the agent if our bags were going to make it and she replied “Yes they will.” We asked her if she was sure and she replied “Yes. I am working on that now.” So we get on the 9.20 flight only to get to Madrid and find out that our bags did not make it on board. Our checked bags had all of our clothing and toiletries inside so now we’re in a foreign country with nothing but the clothes on our backs and our personal items which only contained things like electronics and school work (me and my girlfriend are students). At this point my girlfriend is crying and we are only informed that our bags may get delivered to our hotel. There was no promise on when nor whether it would actually happen, leaving us anxious. Traveling with TAP Portugal has been an absolute disaster and it was my girlfriend's first time traveling overseas. Their employees were rude, the scheduling/planning was unorganized, and there seemed to be nobody willing to help our situation.
RouteMiami to Madrid

"no legroom at all"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | 27 minutes late. Was seated at the very back of the plane, no legroom at all. Flight attendant very rispidly told me to seat down, in front of all passengers, while I was trying to take a blanket as the cabin was freezing cold. There was an emergency on board and the cabin crew acted professionally.
RouteFunchal to Lisbon

"Chaotic bus boarding"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Funchal. Chaotic bus boarding of the plane with elderly passengers entering the aircraft at the front door but being seated at the back of the plane while passengers boarding through the back were mostly seated at the front seats. Operated by an Aigle Azur aircraft.
RouteLisbon to Funchal
Date FlownJune 2019

"mostly good because of Portugalia"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Madrid - Lisbon, Porto-Lisbon-Faro and then Lisbon to Madrid. The international flights were in their A321 planes, which have non reclining seats and poor legroom. They are very punctual, the staff is nice and helpful, their pilots are excellent. Meals are under average. The domestic flights between Porto, Lisbon and Faro were with Portugalia, which is a totally different story. The flights were on Embraer E-195 planes, upholstered, reclining seats with large legroom, two abreast, great service, staff is really nice, pilots great, above average meals and snacks. The points awarded in this review are mostly good because of Portugalia.
RouteMadrid to Lisbon

"Don't use this airline"

Trip Verified | Don't use this airline! I paid for a seat for my daughter to fly from Rome to Newark. She received emails to confirm her seat. She arrived at the ticketing counter and they said her seat had been canceled and we would have to repurchase the same ticket I already paid for. So basically all the money I paid for the original ticket was wasted because they wanted more than twice as much for the exact same seat we already paid for. I never received any credit or refund. The ticketing agent on the phone was rude. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told, supervisors do not speak with customers. They expected me to pay twice as much for the same seat I already paid for. I was beside myself. I found a better airline (wasn't hard, every airline is better). Won't be booking a flight on TAP Portugal ever again!
RouteRome to Newark
Date FlownJune 2019

"0 out of 10 for claims process"

Trip Verified | I would like to start off this review by complementing TAP crew, new aircarft and in most cases food on long haul. Saying that as a word of warning though if you need to connect through Lisbon quickly (so less than an hour) be warned, it does not always end well. With aircraft parked the "other" side of the airfield the transfer process can be slow and frustrating. Even worse is that your bags often don't make it on to your connecting flight, so I always now carry my first days requirements in my hand luggage. So you can compensate in one way or another. What I cannot yet resolve is how to claim for compensation when bags do not arrive. I now send one email per month and try and phone (often not answered though even after 10 mins average wait time). TAP have told me that each complaint is taking them on average 6 month to respond to (note respond to and not resolve).Easiest way to resolve this issue is not have to claim in first place, so either dont fly with TAP or try and reduce need to claim. 0 out of 10 for claims process.
AircraftA330 Neu
RouteZurich to São Paulo via Lisbon
Date FlownApril 2019

"flexible to accept my request"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Porto to Lisbon. I want to thank TAP for being flexible to accept my request to fly on an earlier flight. Great implemented concept of Air Bridge between the two biggest cities of Portugal: Lisbon and Porto. Very friendly and professional check-in employee at Porto. Thank you.
AircraftEmbraer 190
RoutePorto to Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2019

"she simply said go try another airline"

Not Verified | Newark to Rome via Lisbon. My wife and I were taking a flight from Newark and unfortunately we got stuck on a highway road closure due to an accident and got to the gate 10 minutes before our flight took off. I tried calling the airline (local & 800 numbers) as we were sitting in the shut down and could not get a hold of anyone. When we finally got to the gate the associate at the check in counter was no help in helping us rebook or get to our destination, she simply said go try another airline and left the desk. I will never ever fly this airline again.
RouteNewark to Lisbon
Date FlownMay 2019

"All in all 3 star level"

Trip Verified | Alicante to Amsterdam via Lisbon. Basic service on a difficult day. May 9 was another day with ATC strikes in Spain, therefore many flights were delayed that day. Also pretty bad weather in Lisbon was having serious impact on TAP operation. So both my flights where delayed resulting in being able to get the connecting flight to Amsterdam and arriving about 2h 15 late in Amsterdam, resulting in taxi costs train. On board service is ok, a little snack and choice of drink on ALC-LIS 2h 10 and a little snack box and 1 drink round on LIS -AMS. Onboard crew are fine, not too friendly but acceptable. LIS-AMS was operated with new designed A320 and received at gate a free upgrade to a emergency row exit. I noticed that cockpit gives no or minimal information, so does the cabin crew. 2 hrs late would justify a bit more of apology. Airport transfer is substandard, food outlets are reasonably priced though. All in all 3 star level.
AircraftATR/A320