TAP Portugal

"Just functional"

Not Verified | Sao Vicente to London Heathrow via Lisbon. TAP Portugal is much like the other airlines in Star Alliance. Not terrible and not great. Not a great experience, but will get you from A to B, and that is the point after all. Just functional.
AircraftA320neo / A321
RouteSao Vicente to London Heathrow via Lisbon
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Terrible airline and customer service"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Washington via Lisbon. Terrible airline and customer service. Boarding for TAP in Dublin was in a completely different area and floor than all other airlines without any signage, and check in closed early so I ended up having to pay to ship my luggage back to the states. The agents I was eventually sent to were actually from Swissport, not TAP, and were completely unhelpful. Both of my flights boarded and left late, "business" class seats on the first flight were the same as every other seat just with a much higher price, food was mediocre, and I was told there was no record of my preordered meal and my selected option had already run out. We had to go through multiple custom and security checks connecting in Lisbon, flight attendants were unfriendly, and the internet I paid for stopped working after one minute. After submitting a contact on the website about all of these issues, it took a month to hear back and they took zero responsibility for any of it. Fly any other airline.
RouteDublin to Washington via Lisbon
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"They are absolutely horrible"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Lisbon. I tried to check in on line and it said that there was an additional baggage charge of $120. I had already paid $92 for my suitcase but never having flown on TAP Portugal I thought they increased the fee by $28 so I clicked yes. Then afterward I saw they charged me $120 so I called them and they told me I consented to pay $120 for additional luggage. I told them I only had 1 suitcase and there was a misunderstanding on my part as to their communication. They told me there was nothing they could do about it. I asked to speak with a manager but the agent said that wasn't possible. If you want to have good customer service do not fly TAP Portugal. They are absolutely horrible.
RouteChicago to Lisbon
Date FlownOctober 2019

"1 hour late but cheap 51€"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Lisbon. Very long waiting times at the security check. Total 1 hour late. But cheap (51 €), good food on the board, nice staff. My recommendation! Press the boarding pass, then you will not have to wait in the queue. Sehr lange Wartezeiten beim Sicherheitscheck. Insgesamt 1 St. Verspätung. Aber dafür günstig (51€), gutes Essen am Board, nettes Personal. Meine Empfehlung! Drückt die Bordkarte aus, dann müsst ihr nicht in der Warteschlage anstehen .
RouteBerlin to Lisbon

"service extremely slow"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to London. Although Lisbon airport is in general a mess, flying with a Business class ticket allows for a faster security screening, making it a much easier process. The boarding was to a remote parking stand, but also expedite enough. There was no information that the flight would be delayed, and the doors were closed a few minutes before scheduled departure time, however, the push back only started 30 minutes later. In the meantime no one from the crew gave any type of explanation. Also being in business class, it would be expectable to be given a drink before departure, but none was provided. The in flight meal was pretty good, but service extremely slow. The flight was conducted on an Airbus 321neo which is very comfortable and amazingly silent.
AircraftA321NEO
RouteLisbon to London
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"The flight was very nice"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Barcelona. The flight was slightly late and the boarding was a bit crowded. But this seems to be down to the airport being old, small, overcrowded. The flight was very nice. Most of the crew really seemed to enjoy what they were doing instead of just going through another task. The food they served - on a 90 min flight - was really good: couscous with chicken and mint wrap. And some other goodies.
RouteLisbon to Barcelona

"They did not care"

Trip Verified | Leaving from JFK to Copenhagen was a long wait to check in and no express for online check-in. The flight was pleasant the food was simple and not appealing but at least they feed us something. Seats in economy were very tight and I had expected it from what I read before. Seats on the plane lack comfort. However, its a new and very modern aircraft the A330 Neo. On my connection to Copenhagen, I transfer to a the A321. They fed us a light meal. The seats are basic and hard; I am 5, 9.5 in height and my knees were hitting the seat in front of me. Now this is the most something I had never seen before. In the entire cabin, seats don't recline. Its like at a 90 degree angle, and that is what I endured for 3 hours to Copenhagen. Come back Amsterdam to New York via Lisbon, the plane was delayed 1.5 hours and I missed my connection. Without my input they placed me on flight the following day (24) hours later. I miss a family graduation party. They did not care. Imagine, they told me that no flights were available to NYC. Why could they not put me on a different airline and send me home? They did not. I was told to a hotel next to the airport. I had to walk and pull my luggage. It is hard to find TAP agents to seek help throughout the airport. Also, the airport lack space and other updated infrastructure. They gave me food vouchers. I had to eat the same meals three times. Its a limited menu to chose from and confined to the hotel. This is how TAP handle this. After escalating the issue with a formal complain after I came home, NO help there, I was offered mileage or a travel voucher on TAP. This is after I cited EU laws that entitles me for financial compensations. Thus, I will have to deal with them again, and its fearful when you face problem and your airline is not easy to reach. And here I mean have to walk so far to find a TAP person or office to sort matters. TAP crew were wonderful and pleasant. The plane was clean and the entertainment was enough. I must add that even boarding from Amsterdam to Lisbon, there were only two TAP agents at check in. I waited one hour to check in. I was very annoyed. And it was here that the flight was delayed to Lisbon which caused my miss - connection to JFK.
AircraftA321NEO / A330NEO
RouteAmsterdam to New York via Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2019

"luggage was not included"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Lisbon. Spent $3,000 CND on 3 tickets bought about 6 months in advance. Checkin day came and they told me luggage was not included, so $150.00 per suitcase, each way, added $600.00 to the cost. Then they cancelled my son's ticket, forced me to purchase another ticket for $1,500. Now i'm up to $5,100.00. TAP refused to speak to me, told me it was the travel agency that cancelled the ticket, travel agency confirmed they had no reason to do so, TAP did. Try calling them, emailing them, worse experience ever. Needless to day, first and last time flying with this company.
RouteToronto to Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2019

"TP 671 had been cancelled"

(Uruguay)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Lisbon connection to Sao Paulo, in business class. On the date of departure, September 9th 2019, we arrived at Schiphol Amsterdam at 17:15 to board our flight, 2.30 hours prior to the scheduled departure and were going through the security barrier when we were informed that TP 671 had been cancelled. We were so surprised that we could not believe what we were hearing, and were advised to contact TAP representatives at the airport. Our absolute nightmare commenced on trying to do so, since we quickly learned thanks to a luggage porter, that TAP was only represented by a third party company SWISSPORT at Schiphol. We eventually got directed to the SWISSPORT customer service, and upon reaching it discovered we had over 150 people standing in a queue waiting to be attended to by only 2 lady clerks, we were duly informed we must line up behind all the rest of the customers in the line. Once it was our turn, our first question was why did TAP not contact us the travelers about this cancellation, to which we got the reply was “I cannot tell you, we just provide the service at the airport for TAP. The flight was cancelled due lack of crew” Why did TAP not reach out to the travelers prior to the flight to inform of the cancellation? At the SWISSPORT desk we were indicated by this rude clerk that we had been reprogrammed to depart the next morning at 07:00 AM to Lisbon on TP 669 and would connect on to Sao Paulo on TP 089, a 9.30 hours flight entirely performed during daylight. When these tickets were purchased over 10 months ago, we chose TP 87 flight as it was a night crossing over the Atlantic, which would also allow us to continue our journey within South America, since our final destination after Sao Paulo was Montevideo, Uruguay. Therefore all our flight connections were missed and we had to purchase entirely new tickets to our final destination after TAP Portugal dumped us
RouteAmsterdam to Sao Paulo via Lisbon

"It's the worst airline"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Helsinki to Lisbon. As a Gold Member I am entitled to check in one luggage for free at TAP. Even so they charged me 70 EUR. Now almost 2 months have passed after I filed the complain online to get the refund, and nobody has ever contacted me. I called already 2 times. No help whatsoever. The last time they asked me to prove legally that I am the one who is getting the refund! I provided paper. Silence! Again I called, tried it for more than 2 hours to get through the hotline to the customer centre without result! Nothing. Never ever again will I fly TAP. It's the worst airline in the world! The worst service ever I have seen. What service? There is no service.
RouteHelsinki to Lisbon