TAP Portugal

"TAP disappointed at every step of our journey"

Trip Verified | Avoid this airline unless no other option is available. From the initial reservation experience online to the impossible process of trying to get a customer service representative on the phone to correct booking and billing mistakes, TAP disappointed at every step of our journey. Both on ground and in flight staff is dismissive at best and outright insulting at worst. None seem to have had even the basic training in customer relations. The airplane was fine, and relatively new, but very basic. No frills here. Otherwise, TAP truly succeeded in making the travel part of our holiday miserable. This is truly a very poorly run airline.
AircraftA321 Neo
RouteWashington Dulles to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2022

"canceled my flight about an hour before we were set to take off"

Not Verified | Do the world a favor, and let TAP go bankrupt. They canceled my flight about an hour before we were set to take off, and did not even have any staff members in the terminal to give us information or a new flight, so now I am stuck in Madrid with no information, no refund, and no way to get home. No response from TAP Portugal, or what to do next. Their staff are arrogant and will feed you false information just to ward off angry customers. The world does not need this airline, do not ever book flights with TAP.
RouteMadrid to Washington DC
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I will never fly TAP ever again"

Trip Verified | I will never travel with TAP Air Portugal ever again. Nothing to do with the canceled flight & the delay, but everything to do with the response from the airline, the lies at the airport to keep us quiet, the treatment we received and the lack of communication. Our initial flight out of EWR to AMS with layover in LIS: flight cancelled and 0 communication from airline: not a text, a phone call, an email. I was lucky to find it out before leaving for the airport because I just googled if the flight was delayed and it showed it was canceled. TAP rebooked us without ever even informing us of the canceled flight or of the different options we had. On the way back, the initial leg AMS to LIS was delayed. The flight attendant told us that we would have about 40 min to go through customs and get to the gate. by miracle we are able to reach the gate, boarding passes on hand, that they were still boarding passengers. we were group A and TAP was boarding group B. Once we get to the front of the line to scan our boarding passes we are told that they canceled our tickets and gave our seats to other passengers. Why? No response. Then they place us as Standby passengers at the end of the line of Standby passengers and we do not make it onto our flight. we are stranded in Lisbon even though we made it to our gate. The staff there was very dismissive. they gave us voucher for the hotel and dinner and booked us on another flight the following day. they told us we would get compensated for the missed flight and not in the form of a voucher but cash. once home we try to get it and we were told we can only get travel vouchers. no thank you. I will never fly TAP ever again.
RouteNewark to Amsterdam via Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2022

"guarantee I will never fly TAP again"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | We flew as a family. My wife, my daughter, and me. We had 1:20 in Lisbon for the connected flight. However, the plane was already delayed three hours when we left Copenhagen. So we missed our connection. First we received a message we were booked for a new flight more than 24 hrs later. But after we stood in line for more than an hour, we got transferred to a flight later the same evening at 22:00. Then we thought the worst was over. But I was wrong. When we arrived in Madrid, our luggage was gone. That can happen. So we reported it. As I write, we have still not received it. Five days has passed. Every time we call TAP they ask us to call someone else and/or they can’t help us. They are taking no responsibility. At all. I had to stand in line for four hours in the airport, to be told the same all over again. I can guarantee I will never fly TAP again. The plane was fine. The personal on board was fine. But the way they take care of their passengers, when things go wrong is ridiculous.
RouteCopenhagen to Madrid via Lisbon
Date FlownJune 2022

"A paid carry on is not the same as a paid carry on on other airlines"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight and paid extra for the carry on bag and a checked bag. I did not use the checked bag and had a small roller bag within the required dimensions. At the gate, they had a scale to weigh bags. Mine was about a kg over the 8 kg limit. I asked to remove an item such as book or jacket to wear and he said too late. Pay 80 euros or don’t board the flight. I was horrified at how rude and abrupt he was. He then said because it was overweight, it had to be gate checked as hold luggage. I couldn’t take it in the cabin even though it fit in their sizing bin. I told him I had paid for the carry-on and an unused checked bag but he said too late. It had to be outside security. Pay again and pay 80 more. There were plenty of other people with bags bigger than mine that he didn’t care about too. On top of that, the flight left 80 minutes late departing and arrived in London after the last trains had left to my destination (because I missed them waiting for my newly gate checked bag, I had to gate check the carry on). The person didn’t care when I said this is what I needed to avoid. I needed to pay extra for ground transportation because of this guy who wouldn’t let me remove a book from the carry-on to meet their highly restrictive carry on limit of 15 pounds. Buyer beware. A paid carry on is not the same as a paid carry on on other airlines. This is clearly a gotcha airline. Pay up. And good luck getting someone to answer emails, calls or customer service inquiries online or on the phone. Some people have positive reviews because the stars aligned for them. But you may not be as lucky. I won’t be buying Air Portugal tickets ever again.
RouteLisbon to London Heathrow
Date FlownJune 2022

"They have poor customer service and their staff are arrogant"

Trip Verified | Worst travelling experience I have ever had in my life! I have planned a vacation of 5 days in Porto. I arrived on June 26th to find out that my luggage was missing. My last 4 days was to go back and forth to Porto airport to see if they have found my luggage since you don’t get any answer from their call center service. They have poor customer service and their staff are arrogant. Today (day 4) the agent that I have talked to at the airport even told me that he couldn’t do nothing, that my tag was probably lost and that if I’m lucky I might get my luggage back at home in Canada! Very disappointed that they treat customers with so lack of respect. I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone! My 4 day vacation was very stressful and I still haven’t found my luggage.
RouteLondon to Porto
Date FlownJune 2022

"This is the worst experience I have ever had in my life"

Trip Verified | This is the worst experience I have ever had in my life. I was supposed to fly from Naples to Lisbon to Chicago. My flight to Lisbon was so late we missed our connection. They rescheduled me for the next day from Toronto to Chicago and that flight ended up being delayed as well. I demanded to be moved to another flight to go into the US. From there my bag was not moved to the new flight and now I can't get anyone to help me get my luggage back. There is no line that works. The numbers either don't work or there is no one there. I would never use this service again.
RouteNaples to Chicago
Date FlownJune 2022

"Call Center are no help either"

Not Verified | Berlin to Recife via Lisbon. This airline is a disgrace! My girlfriend is stuck in Lisbon, because her flight from Berlin was delayed. The connecting flight to Brazil left without the Berlin passengers and the TAP Portugal people gave out vouchers for food but rejected to provide accommodation for the passengers stranded and delayed by 24 hours due to no fault of their own, but the fault of the airline! This airline make hundreds of thousands every day but reject paying for accommodation at about 80€ for a night in a hotel and instead asks people to stay at the airport for 24 hours? Would they accept this kind of behavior from another airline? Would they want their daughters to be treated this way? Rude behavior by unprofessional bastards who shouldn't work in customer service as they are lacking empathy and human emotions. And the Call Center are no help either!
RouteBerlin to Recife via Lisbon

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | I had a misfortune of my flight to Lisbon being rebooked with last leg being on TAP - which promptly lost our luggage and then after luggage was delivered to Lisbon 2 days later refusing to give it to us because "they need to follow their protocol" - which presumably gives them 5 days to reply to our claim and after that we need to jump through several hoops to maybe get it. Worst customer service and luggage handling of any airline I ever used. However cheap their tickets are - it's not worth it if you have no luggage.
RouteBoston to Lisbon via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownJune 2022

"crew offered us no information"

Not Verified | Madrid to Toronto via Lisbon. Upon boarding the plan you immediately noticed some smoke like gas coming from the windows and the smell of gas. After over an hour of sitting in the plane, the pilot announced that there was a technical error and we would be departing soon. We were kept on the plane for 3 hours, suffering through the horrible stench of gas. Throughout this time, the crew offered us no information nor basic necessities such as water. Next we were informed that the plane was NOT going to take off and we took a bus back; upon entering the airport there was no Tap Portugal employee there to greet us or inform the over 200 passengers on what to do. After over an hour of scrambling around the airport completely lost, a random Tap employee showed us and told us to follow them to the desk where they supplied us with a dinner voucher worth 12 euros and told us to come back at 11pm. Note that on countless occasions we had asked the employees regarding our situation and they assured us that we would be put in a hotel and our bags would go directly to Toronto. After dinner, in which we had to pay for the majority ourselves given the expensive prices at the airport in which a bottle of water cost 4 euros, we returned to the booth. After the Tap employees showed up 30 minutes late, one of them had the audacity to ask the group, “Why didn't you guys come here earlier?” insinuating that it was the client’s fault that we were stuck on the plane for 3 hours. Upon rebooking our flight for the next day, they informed us that all the hotels in Lisbon were booked and that they would not be providing a hotel. Suddenly a very rude Tap employee came screaming at us, stating that we had to go collect our luggage or they would be sent to lost and found. I also noticed that if you spoke to them in Spanish or Portuguese they would give you a better answer than if you spoke to them in English. So the Tap employee took the group to the EXIT of the border security and let us in to collect our bags. It was there that I was informed that the company had LOST one of my bags and I was taken to the baggage complaint section. It was there where I encountered their boss, who by far made the stressful encounter even more stressful by shouting, degrading, and refusing to help not only to me but also a very kind older lady. Eventually, I gave up and went to return to the Tap booth only to see that ALL EMPLOYEES HAD DISAPPEARED. Given no other choice, myself and hundreds of other passengers were forced to sleep on the floor without water or a blanket. Around 5 am, we were encountered with yet another group of around 200 people who’s flight to Cancun, Mexico was cancelled claiming “technical difficulties.” After another hour of waiting it was finally my turn when the employee stated that I had to pay for my bag and the extra weight. I kept on telling him that I had already paid for my bag and that in Madrid they checked the weight and it was acceptable but the flat out refused to check them stating “I will not do it for you.”
RouteMadrid to Toronto via Lisbon