Swoop

"an absolute nightmare"

Trip Verified | Hamilton to Banff via Edmonton. After driving all night from Rochester, NY to get to the Hamilton airport in time for our 5:45 AM flight on Valentine's Day, we got to the airport to find that our flight had been cancelled due to "Crew Rest" and rescheduled for 24 hours later. So, after traveling all night, they wanted us to get up at the crack of dawn the next morning to make another flight that would surely be delayed again anyway, to be in Banff for 24 hours and turn around to fly right back on an overnight flight. We decided it wouldn't be worth the trip to be in our final destination for 24 hours, not to mention the exhaustion from numerous days in a row of overnight travel. The workers at the counter promised flight refunds if we called the number or emailed their help desk. It's been over a week and I have to yet to hear back from either, along with numerous attempts to get in contact via Facebook. 4 flights, 3 wasted vacation days and a non-refundable airbnb later, I'm out $700 USD and have yet to hear back on whether I'll be refunded or not. This whole experience has been an absolute nightmare. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Swoop and their parent company Westjet while you're at it.
RouteHamilton to Banff via Edmonton
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"sort out their communications"

Trip Verified | Hamilton to Halifax. 6 hour delay in our 6:20PM flight with no warning. A simple miss from Swoop was that we only received the notification at 5PM (as we were clearing Security). Delays happen, not a big deal, but on this night I was travelling with my wife and 13-month old boy (so we've got the added stress of trying to keep a little guy happy and not drive everyone in the terminal nuts). No one could tell us what was going on or what our options were. Tried the client services number as well and waited on hold until we just coudn`t wait any longer Decided it was too much to put the little guy through as we likely wouldn`t arrive at our destination until close to 5AM the next morning - so we left the airport and back home - effectively cancelling our Family Day Vacation. Swoop however did turn this bad situation into a more positive one. I did have to wait 1 hour and 33 minutes on hold today (Tuesday after the Family Day long weeked), but they did refund me the entire air fare and also offered to refund me any incidentals (parking, meals, etc). I wasn`t expecting that. I`ll try them again - but hope that they can sort out their communications with their customers.
RouteHamilton to Halifax
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"avoid this airline at all costs"

Trip Verified | Worst experience I've had on a plane. Delayed flight for over 8 hrs due to a pilot being sick. After reading reviews seems to be a standard excuse they use. They told us 50 minutes before the flight and the delayed it multiple times throughout the night. The ladies at the counter are completely at the mercy of head office and had no information. I unfortunately booked the wrong day back for my return flights, and only noticed the day before. My mistake but trying to charge me 15 dollars to even speak to someone on the phone is ridiculous. I refused to call/pay out of principle and I booked a Porter flight in 10 minutes instead and beat my buddies back to Toronto because Swoop delayed the return flight. Just avoid this airline at all costs.
RouteHamilton to Halifax
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"wrecked my family plans"

Trip Verified | Halifax to Hamilton. I actually like Swoop when there are no delays, but, out of the last five flights I've only experienced one flight without a delay. Today, my flight was supposed to depart at 1230p but it was delayed to 755p. Not surprised and it really wrecked my family plans.
RouteHalifax to Hamilton
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Very rude and arrogant staff"

Trip Verified | Flew Edmonton to Winnipeg with Swoop. Worst experience. Worst customer service. Very rude and arrogant staff. Not a people person at all. Have training to how to talk and respect people. Not loved at all. Not recommend for people who expecting good respect if you giving respect.
RouteEdmonton to Winnipeg

"cancelled the flight"

Trip Verified | Hamilton to Abbotsford. Horrible Experience. They cancelled the flight just 3 hours before departure. And relocated us in a flight 2 days after. I lost 2 good days of my vacation just due to lack of their crew resource! When I wanted to cancel both my flights, they said they can refund my outgoing flight but can't refund the return flight. If I can't even go, how am I supposed to return. Tried them first time because of their price and learnt my lesson in the hard way. Never ever buying swoop again. Expected better service from a WestJet subsidiary.
RouteHamilton to Abbotsford
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Horrible experience with Swoop"

Trip Verified | Hamilton to Tampa. Horrible experience with Swoop. We fly at least 4 times per year and would never consider this airline for family travel ever again. They have one check in agent for 2 or 3 flights and they just delay your flight without warning indefinitely after scrambling to get you through. I would believe the online reviews of this airline. I am usually pessimistic but it is just as fast driving to your destination, with less stress. Horrible airline I hope Transportation Canada eventually shuts down.
RouteHamilton to Tampa
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"communication about delays was unacceptable"

Trip Verified | On February 2 I flew out to B.C. on a flight with Swoop to visit my daughter. Had a great flight out to B.C. However, my return to Hamilton on February 6, 2019, was a different story. Ontario was dealing with an ice storm. At 6:30 am I received an email from Swoop that I could cancel my flight, due to the inclement weather. I would receive a complete refund, provided that I sent an email to Swoop. Unfortunately, I decided to be pro active, and cancelled my flight home to Ontario, even though they did not mention that the flight was cancelled or delayed. Thirty minutes later, I realized that the flight back to Ontario was still on schedule. I decided to rebook on the same plane to Hamilton. I was shocked to see that the price had doubled to $449.00 for a one- way ticket (WO106). However, I booked a new seat on the same plane. I rushed to the Abbotsford Airport, and tried to explain to the Swoop attendant that I wanted to cancel the new booking, and keep my original booking for the same flight. The attendant was on the phone for quite awhile, explaining the situation, and she confirmed that I was back on my original plan and that the airline was refunding the $512.00 onto my credit card for the one- way ticket home. I was given a boarding pass, and everything was good. Once through security it was announced at the airport that the plane was delayed 5 hours. Because we were landing in Ontario after 10 pm, I decided to book a night at the Super 8 at $145.77. Finally, we were called to board the plane around 3:00 pm. (original flight time was 10:20 am). Just before take off, an attendant called out my name, and ordered me OFF the plane! I was travelling alone, confused and devastated! The attendant went to the computer and noticed that I was cancelled off of both bookings.The attendant admitted to Swoop’s mistake and the best they could offer was a booking on the next plane with $100.00 off the new price of $449.00. Unfortunately, the next plane back to Hamilton was on Thursday, February 7 at 10:00 pm, landing on Friday, February 8 at 5:30 AM! I was scheduled to work on Friday! I then decided to find a flight on WestJet that would get me home on Thursday, February 7. The entire trip home cost me an extra $663.02 because of Westjet's one way flight cost ($598.30), another night at a hotel ($136.82), no refund on the cancelled Super 8 Hotel ($145.77), and cab fares,etc. The emotional distress to me because of Swoop's error was huge. Travelling alone, without my luggage, far away from home, was the worst day I had experienced in a very long time. I know the risk in travelling during the winter months, but the communication within Swoop about delays, was unacceptable. They knew that the flight to Ontario was delayed, yet waited until I was sitting in the airport, already checked in, to announce it? I would have never cancelled my original flight, if I knew that it might not be cancelled? Even though I enjoyed the lower cost of flight and the convenience of a direct flight to B.C., I was devastated by the experience getting home. I have learned not to cancel a flight, even when given the choice. If Swoop had just refunded me for one return flight and not both flights, I would have been happy with their airline!
RouteAbbotsford to Hamilton
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Air Canada, here I come"

Trip Verified | Don’t book this airline and save yourself a disappointing experience and money. Drove to airport to find out the flight was canceled because the pilot is sick (maybe a standard excuse, but where is the backup or do they only have one pilot), email arrived after we were at the airport so we could have saved that trip too. The ladies at the counters seemed to be very experienced in telling people that flights are cancelled and they could offer a different flight (two days later) or we could get a full refund. We asked for the refund and left the airport, had to cancel our hotel in Toronto (not fully refunded of course) just to get an confirmation email that we are now booked on the flight two days later. I wonder if they do this intentionally, spend over 90 minutes to get hold of an agent to get our refund. Now we have to wait to see if we actually get our money back. I think Westjet needs to take their concept back to the drawing board, until then, I cancelled my Westjet credit card and will hold off using them and for sure never book Swoop again. Air Canada, here I come.
RouteAbbotsford to Hamilton

"Not at all impressed"

Trip Verified | Hamilton to Vancouver. Not at all impressed with Swoop. We arrived an hour before the flight and found out when we got here that the flight was cancelled due to a shortage of staff. We waited for 2 hours in line hoping to get a refund but then gave up and decided to call them from home instead. The mass of people in line to get refunds was confusing for people trying to get into other flights, who ended up waiting in our refund line unnecessarily for 1.5 hours before realizing they were in the wrong line.
RouteHamilton to Vancouver