Swoop

"No more flights for the day"

Trip Verified | Swoop canceled our flight Edmonton to Abbotsford BC 5 min before boarding by email! They couldn't even announce till everyone was upset all at the counter. They said there was no power in Abbotsford to land flying from Edmonton. But yet there was a family on the other side saying there was power and weather was fine. We had to book a hotel in the airport, Swoop said they cant pay the hotel or send on another flight because it was weather. No more flights for the day. But WestJet who owns Swoop is still flying into Abbotsford even an hour after ours! Now out a day travel, work and have to pay hotel! Nice lies Swoop, blame weather so all us people are stuck paying out of our pocket!
RouteEdmonton Alberta to Abbotsford BC
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"Swoop doesn't care about their customers at all"

Not Verified | I arrived at the Hamilton airport at approximately 7.55am for my 8.45am flight to Edmonton on February 14th, 2021. It took me a few moments to get out of my vehicle and get into the airport. When I entered the airport there was a line, there was one man in front of me and 2 other people who entered after me. The man in front of me was checked-in and walked away, and I approached the desk to check myself in, but was told I was too late. It was approximately 8.03am. The disturbing and unacceptable thing is that the guy in front of me could enter, yet myself and the people behind me were not. Beyond this, I had no bags to check (just a carry on), the flight was delayed 10 minutes, and it was the only flight to leave the airport on February 14th, the airport was dead quiet! The employee I spoke to was disrespectful, hostile, and rude. He wore no identification to suggest we worked for Swoop, and was wearing a very unsuitable mask (it was a kerchief). He showed no leniency or pity for our situation, though the middle-aged man with an infant’s car seat in front of the three of us was shown plenty of leniency. I am a young female university student, so was the other girl behind me in line, and the guy in line was also a young university student. I would be willing to venture that this abuse of power could be related to ageism or a bias. The employee basically told us that we were out of luck and we would have to rebook our flight. I am not sure why this guy did not offer to see if we needed transportation, if we had a place to stay, or even pretend to care that he had just left three young university students with wasted money and out of luck. We were left feeling helpless and angry just for being mere minutes 'late'. The employee walked away from us without offering any kind of help or support, and I went to talk to a security agent who advised us to wait until after our flight had left and other Swoop agents could help us rebook our flight or accept a voucher. We waited for nearly two hours by the Swoop check-in desk, but no one came to help us. I ended up having to call someone to come speak to us. The same employee that refused to check us in arrived and told us there was nothing he could do, that we would have to call Swoop’s line to rebook or receive credit, which I did, and was told by the agent I spoke to over the phone that because I missed my flight there would be no kind of reimbursement. The way I was treated was horrible and unfair. I feel like I have been robbed, and I was denied my first flight home to Alberta since moving to Ontario in September. I am extremely disappointed in Swoop and the Hamilton airport. If you value good customer service, actually getting on the plane, and not being robbed, do not fly Swoop. If you have to travel during the pandemic, fly Flair, they actually allow refunds for COVID related matters, as well as changes to bookings up to 24 hours before your flight. Swoop doesn't care about their customers at all.
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"Very disappointing and ridiculous in the face of Covid-19 restrictions"

Not Verified | Interestingly enough I never got on the Swoop flight in February 2021! I was supposed to fly home from BC on Swoop, but was unable to fly to BC because of ON and BC inter-provincial travel restrictions. Despite the restrictions that prevented me from going to BC, Swoop was happy to eat my $260 (including 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag!) fee I paid in September 2020! Very disappointing and ridiculous in the face of Covid-19 restrictions! It's garbage policies and practices like this that encourage people to break the Covid-19 regulations! It literally cost me $260 to follow the provincial rules!
RouteKelowna to Toronto via Oakville
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"thank you for your terrible lack of compassion for your clients"

Not Verified | I had booked to escort our college kid to ONT from AB and was a NEW Swoop customer. I was a bit worried her schooling would be postponed (it was) so I booked one way with her and one way without and had the foresight to pay for Modifly on the way there but forgot to do this on the return for husband and I. I called Swoop and wondered if this was an issue. No it was not, until I did have to change. I changed the flights going there, no problem. But, when I had to change our return ones (the ones I had not paid for Modifly but was told no problem), I ended up paying for the flights all over again for even more money than if I had just rebooked new flights and not told them. What was to be a $279 set of tickets to return was $620.66. Wow, why wasn't I told this when I called in to verify? So please, if you have to cancel don't change the flight allowing them to sell your ticket again. Just let them fly it empty as you will pay for more than twice the cost fly anyways. I would have been better to just book again and swallow the first amount. What a rip off in a time we were trying to save rent money for our kid. Thanks Swoop. I won't mention how much of my money Westjet has in their "travel account" for flights that had to be cancelled last May. Once again, thank you for your terrible lack of compassion for your clients.
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"things were handled in a very professional and courteous manner"

Trip Verified | Our flight #106 from Abbotsford, BC to Hamilton, ON on January 21, 2021 was postponed due to mechanical issues. The Swoop staff did an amazing job in keeping us informed in a very timely manner. We were instructed that we would be put up in a nearby hotel but that transportation and food would be reimbursed when we returned home. The staff was very polite and it was unfortunate that a few very rude passengers upset everyone. The manager in charge tried to calm these individuals but to no avail. I think that security should have been called in to remove them from the airport as soon as they became belligerent with the Swoop staff. All in all things were handled in a very professional and courteous manner.
RouteAbbotsford, BC to Hamilton, ON
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Good job on losing customers"

Trip Verified | Same airline. Same personal bag. Same contents. On the way to Toronto there were no issues. On the way back suddenly my personal bag is considered a carry on and had to pay $73.50. I just paid to avoid immediate retaliation to prevent me from flying. Watch out for the staff member at the Toronto check in counter who insisted that I have a carry on even though I told them that’s how I came. Good job on losing customers. Won’t fly again.
RouteToronto to Abbortsford
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"unimpressed with my first Swoop experience"

Trip Verified | I missed the baggage check cut off by 4 minutes. Despite dozens of emails from Swoop telling me to purchase more baggage at no point was I told that the baggage check in cut off was at the time it was, not even when I purchased the baggage in advance. When I got the desk, the lady said, “you can’t check it in because you missed cut off but if you leave the bag you can still board the flight.” I was visibly stressed about this and their agent was zero help. She didn’t say a word after that, except “no refunds”. I wasn’t offered any sort of assistance to get the bag added to a later flight or check a smaller sized bag as a carry on. Called customer support after my flight and they said that since there are no refunds period, that I can’t even have the bag accredited for a future flight and couldn’t have offered to have it brought on another flight. Absolutely unimpressed with my first Swoop experience and their lack of support, accommodation, and advanced information to have even helped prevent that from happening. Prior to this, they changed my flights completely and moved both the departure and return flight by a day. On top of that, they announced their final boarding call 20 minutes before the boarding time! I saw a man completely miss his flight because of it and I was cutting it close. Yeah it was a cheap flight but these three inconveniences were not minor and will not be using Swoop again, nor recommending it.
RouteHamilton to Abbotsford
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"extremely kind and helpful"

Trip Verified | I absolutely hate flying and was very anxious, it was a very bumpy flight, and the flight attendants were extremely kind and helpful. They brought me whatever I asked for and moved me to the front of the plane so that I’d feel less of the turbulence. Super kind and friendly staff on the flight.
RouteEdmonton to Abbotsford
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"I did not receive any communication"

Trip Verified | I booked this flight to Edmonton to visit my family over the holidays early in November, before the Ontario and Alberta lockdowns due to Covid 19 were announced. Closer to my flight, I got in touch with my family doctor to express my concern about travelling from Ontario to the red zone that Edmonton was in at the time and he advised against my travels due to my respiratory issues. So I emailed Swoop customer service on December 13th letting them that I didn't feel comfortable traveling and I would like the option to get a credit for my flight on file - they suggested that I move my dates. Unfortunately, I didn't know when it would be safe for me to travel again as I had a medical note from my doctor advising against my travel for the time being. Swoop said that they cannot do anything about this and that I had to proceed with my flight or change the dates - I tried to change my dates but I had to pay 2.5x more on top of my initial flight cost to move dates to a date that I was pulling from thin air. I then sent my doctors note to the customer service agents, 72 hours before my flight, asking again for credit to be able to travel with Swoop again and I did not receive a response. I followed up again at 48 hours and again at 24 hours prior and no response - until finally I sent a lengthy email outright threatening that I would file this complaint if I didn't hear back from them to which they replied saying that their policies were the cornerstone of their operation and that I should have informed them 72 hours in advance of my flight. I mentioned to the agent that I travel often for business and to visit my family so this would not be the last of my travels, hoping a loyalty clause in their policies would apply, but again I did not receive any communication. I know that I will not get my money back but I am hoping that filing this will add up to what other complaints are out there for change to take place.
Date FlownDecember 2020

"having to pay for another bag"

Trip Verified | I understand what a no frills airline is. And I understand the need to make money. Worst airline I’ve encountered. Customer service = 2/10 (There were some nice people - but their overall customer service was garbage). I paid for a bag on my way back. I accidentally chose the option for a carry on instead of a check-in. (Both options are the same price) Yes, I did make a mistake. After speaking with the desk staff as well as calling swoop to see if there was anyway to make that change. I was told there is “no way to make that change”. Ended up having to pay for another bag to be checked in. At the end of it all. I would have been better of paying a reliable airline. It would have actually worked put cheaper.
RouteCancun to Toronto