Swoop

"suggest that cheap is never better"

Trip Verified | We’re from Vancouver and we travelled to Abbotsford to fly via Swoop to Edmonton. Our flight was supposed to be at 7:45 p.m. on June 26th, 2020. We arrived 40 minutes early for our flight and upon arrival, there were no employees in the check-in booths. We go to baggage security at the gate and they ask for a boarding pass, we explain that there are no attendees at the check-in booths and that we only received an itinerary via email after checking ourselves in online (we only had carry-on bags) - they mentioned that for some reason, on a daily basis, somebody has an issue with Swoop and that they were not allowed to communicate to their staff directly when a customer requests so. The security at the gate suggests we call their customer service line but when we do, nobody picks up. We notice a young gentleman waiting at the check-in booths for assistance, I ask him what time his flight is and what whether he had a boarding pass. He explains to me that he only received an itinerary via email and that he also needed assistance for a boarding pass. I go back to the gate and I hear a Swoop employee asking the security at the gate what the commotion is all about, they explain that there are three passengers trying to get on and they ask her “Did you want to speak to them?” She chuckles sarcastically and says “No - close the gates!” Security then kicks us out as they apologize. I head quickly back to the check-in booths and wait for the employees to head out. When they come out to collect their personal belongings on the counters, they simply DO NOT CARE. They say it’s policy that we must be there exactly and hour before our flight and if nobody is there, they will no longer accommodate for whatever reason. They also say that it is our responsibility to search for a barcode - however, we explain that how would we know the requirements when it’s not even clearly communicated by Swoop itself? How would we know that a barcode was necessary if this is our first time? Their next response is to purchase a new ticket for June 27th and speak to their customer service line (we called twice and the call drops right after the menu option). The employees then ask for our last name and says “Yes, I’ve seen your name but you’re supposed to arrive 2 hours early”. The employees all pack up and leave. I suggest that cheap is never better. As of for the employees at Swoop, a kind heart goes a long way. It doesn’t cost an arm to assist customers to get where they are needed.
RouteAbbotsford to Edmonton
Date FlownJune 2020

"5 minutes late for my flight"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Hamilton. I was 5 minutes late for my flight departure at 3:10pm. The told me we can’t get you in. I ask for tomorrow flight they told me to buy another ticket.
RouteEdmonton to Hamilton
Date FlownJune 2020

"no complaints whatsoever"

Trip Verified | Abbostford to Hamilton on 10 April. I just flew swoop 4 times in March. Everything was smooth. I'll definitely fly with them again. It's a budget airline but no complaints whatsoever. Looking forward to my next flight in May 2020.
RouteAbbostford to Hamilton
Date FlownApril 2020

"gave no explanation at all"

Not Verified | Got my flight to Winnipeg. Originally was suppose to go back home in may 27th. About a week in to my trip I received a message that my flight was cancelled. I was forced to move to june 1st. This didn't work for me but I had no choice. They gave no explanation at all. Today April 29th, 2020, I got another message that my rescheduled flight was cancelled again and I can take the same day flight but instead of direct and a 2.5 hour flight it goes to a transferred flight and a 10 hour flight. Unbelievable. So I thought I would call. No! If you want to speak with some one it costs $15 plus taxes to call.
RouteAbbotsford to Winnipeg
Date FlownApril 2020

"will not be reimbursed"

Trip Verified | Our flight between Edmonton and Los Cabos was cancelled by Swoop in January 2020. Swoop emailed stating that if we re-booked with an alternate carrier they would reimburse us. Four months later we are now being told that because we did not re-book with Westjet (the only approved alternate carrier) we will not be reimbursed. Their email specifically states that we can book with an 'alternate carrier'. It does not say that the alternate carrier had to be Westjet, yet that is why we are being denied our refund. This company is unethical and cannot be trusted.
RouteEdmonton to Los Cabos
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"could not get hold of anyone at Swoop"

Not Verified | We used to really like flying with Swoop but Our return flight was Scheduled Mar 23 2020 from Orlando to Edmonton but due to the Coronavirus and government saying to get home in case the borders get closed we decided to reschedule a return to Edmonton on Mar 16. We could not get a hold of anyone at Swoop for any advice as to what to do - just a recording saying they were too busy to take calls not even a option to leave a contact phone number to have them call me back. I ended up paying over $600 for 2 of us to get back to Edmonton. Now our regular tickets that were for Mar 23 are lost with no option even for a credit that we could use later. This in not right Swoop!
RouteOrlando to Edmonton
Date FlownMarch 2020

"do not care about their customer"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Edmonton. This airline should not be getting a dime from the government when it is not refunding or given full credits to the people that have their flights canceled. They make you use their modify and pick dates right there. No one should ever use this airline as they do not care about their customers. Please do not use this airline.
RouteLas Vegas to Edmonton
Date FlownMarch 2020

"unable to reach anyone by phone"

Not Verified | Terrible service! Our flight from Mesa to Edmonton and the return flight in May were cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak and subsequent closing of the U.S./Canada border. We are now unable to travel to Canada and Swoop refuses to issue anything other than Swoop credit. Edmonton is the only destination they fly to out of Mesa - lot of good credit will do. They seem to feel entitled to my money while not providing anything on their end. I understand the outbreak is outside their control but a simple refund is appropriate for this unusual situation. I am unable to reach anyone by phone. The call just ends saying that no one is available and hangs up.
RouteMesa to Edmonton
Date FlownMarch 2020

"shift in their customer service"

Trip Verified | Hamilton to Halifax. I have flown Swoop many times in the past few years, but have seen a real shift in their customer service. In light of a global pandemic, I was appalled at a couple of practices that seemed like safety oversights that negate the government mandate for social distancing. When time to board, they called "General Boarding Call", instead of by zone or by row, which resulted in all passengers cramming up to the counter. The plane was 1/2 full, but their seating algorithm placed everyone at the back of the plane (because they want to charge extra for seats up front). Both of these areas could easily be improved at times like this: Stagger boarding, back of plane to front. Wave seating fees and aim to have 1 person per row, or at least seats between them. C'mon Swoop, this is easy stuff.
RouteHamilton to Halifax
Date FlownMarch 2020

"stay away from this airline"

Trip Verified | Abbotsford to Hamilton. Swoop has displayed very poor business practices during this global crisis. I booked in March 2020 this year, before any case of the covid19. On March 20. I decided to cancel due to our civic duty to not engage in non-essential travel in order to help stop the spread of COVID19. We’ve been contacting Swoop, but it all ended up in a recording that they cannot attend to our call, then line cuts. Even the chat doesn’t help, message sent hasn’t answered. For the return flight, which is more than 7 days ahead, their new policy claim they give free to modify, but no, they still charging $100 per head for the change. This is the worst airline I have seen so far as the refund is concerned. My advice is to stay away from this airline.
RouteAbbotsford to Hamilton