Swoop

"Good job on losing customers"

Trip Verified | Same airline. Same personal bag. Same contents. On the way to Toronto there were no issues. On the way back suddenly my personal bag is considered a carry on and had to pay $73.50. I just paid to avoid immediate retaliation to prevent me from flying. Watch out for the staff member at the Toronto check in counter who insisted that I have a carry on even though I told them that’s how I came. Good job on losing customers. Won’t fly again.
RouteToronto to Abbortsford
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"unimpressed with my first Swoop experience"

Trip Verified | I missed the baggage check cut off by 4 minutes. Despite dozens of emails from Swoop telling me to purchase more baggage at no point was I told that the baggage check in cut off was at the time it was, not even when I purchased the baggage in advance. When I got the desk, the lady said, “you can’t check it in because you missed cut off but if you leave the bag you can still board the flight.” I was visibly stressed about this and their agent was zero help. She didn’t say a word after that, except “no refunds”. I wasn’t offered any sort of assistance to get the bag added to a later flight or check a smaller sized bag as a carry on. Called customer support after my flight and they said that since there are no refunds period, that I can’t even have the bag accredited for a future flight and couldn’t have offered to have it brought on another flight. Absolutely unimpressed with my first Swoop experience and their lack of support, accommodation, and advanced information to have even helped prevent that from happening. Prior to this, they changed my flights completely and moved both the departure and return flight by a day. On top of that, they announced their final boarding call 20 minutes before the boarding time! I saw a man completely miss his flight because of it and I was cutting it close. Yeah it was a cheap flight but these three inconveniences were not minor and will not be using Swoop again, nor recommending it.
RouteHamilton to Abbotsford
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"extremely kind and helpful"

Trip Verified | I absolutely hate flying and was very anxious, it was a very bumpy flight, and the flight attendants were extremely kind and helpful. They brought me whatever I asked for and moved me to the front of the plane so that I’d feel less of the turbulence. Super kind and friendly staff on the flight.
RouteEdmonton to Abbotsford
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"I did not receive any communication"

Trip Verified | I booked this flight to Edmonton to visit my family over the holidays early in November, before the Ontario and Alberta lockdowns due to Covid 19 were announced. Closer to my flight, I got in touch with my family doctor to express my concern about travelling from Ontario to the red zone that Edmonton was in at the time and he advised against my travels due to my respiratory issues. So I emailed Swoop customer service on December 13th letting them that I didn't feel comfortable traveling and I would like the option to get a credit for my flight on file - they suggested that I move my dates. Unfortunately, I didn't know when it would be safe for me to travel again as I had a medical note from my doctor advising against my travel for the time being. Swoop said that they cannot do anything about this and that I had to proceed with my flight or change the dates - I tried to change my dates but I had to pay 2.5x more on top of my initial flight cost to move dates to a date that I was pulling from thin air. I then sent my doctors note to the customer service agents, 72 hours before my flight, asking again for credit to be able to travel with Swoop again and I did not receive a response. I followed up again at 48 hours and again at 24 hours prior and no response - until finally I sent a lengthy email outright threatening that I would file this complaint if I didn't hear back from them to which they replied saying that their policies were the cornerstone of their operation and that I should have informed them 72 hours in advance of my flight. I mentioned to the agent that I travel often for business and to visit my family so this would not be the last of my travels, hoping a loyalty clause in their policies would apply, but again I did not receive any communication. I know that I will not get my money back but I am hoping that filing this will add up to what other complaints are out there for change to take place.
RouteHamilton to Edmonton
Date FlownDecember 2020

"having to pay for another bag"

Trip Verified | I understand what a no frills airline is. And I understand the need to make money. Worst airline I’ve encountered. Customer service = 2/10 (There were some nice people - but their overall customer service was garbage). I paid for a bag on my way back. I accidentally chose the option for a carry on instead of a check-in. (Both options are the same price) Yes, I did make a mistake. After speaking with the desk staff as well as calling swoop to see if there was anyway to make that change. I was told there is “no way to make that change”. Ended up having to pay for another bag to be checked in. At the end of it all. I would have been better of paying a reliable airline. It would have actually worked put cheaper.
RouteCancun to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Worst service I've ever gotten with an airline"

Not Verified | Worst service I've ever gotten with an airline. Tried to contact for about week before a flight through all of their recommended means, but they never contacted me back. Four different people tried on three separate occasions to contact via phone. When we finally got a hold of a representative, they were rude and wanted to charge basically the cost of the flight for changes. A dismal customer service representative.
RouteHamilton to Calgary
Date FlownDecember 2020

"punished for cancelling my flight"

Trip Verified | I should not be punished for cancelling my flight at the commencement of the COVID-19 pandemic. My flight was to Fort Lauderdale Florida, by the way. Which was a serious concern and had I had gone I would have been forced to return back the Ontario anyway. Swoop is not fooling anyone. We know you want government support. We know you are only giving refund to “eligible” flights/customers or the government would not be giving you that support. =
RouteHamilton to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownMarch 2020

"recommend not booking through Swoop"

Not Verified | I would recommend not booking through Swoop during uncertain times, such as the COVID-19 pandemic. Not offering flexibility during this time is completely unacceptable. I tried in every way possible, in the kindest manner possible, to reschedule my flight for a year from now or receive a credit, and they have left me with no option but to forfeit my flight. It is a tone-deaf, greedy approach to a difficult time for many people trying to travel to see loved ones and making the responsible decision to postpone. I purchased Modifly at an extra cost to be able to rebook my flight if need be and they only offer you re-booking within four months. It's a total waste of money. I'm extremely disappointed and will not be choosing swoop nor recommending them to any one I know ever again.
RouteToronto to British Columbia
Date FlownDecember 2020

"I will never book again a flight with Swoop"

Trip Verified | I am not happy. I did 10 flight reservations in November 2020 during "Black Friday". 6 flights were cancelled December 1st. I did not succeed to change one cancelled flight to January 19 2020. Swoop is asking me now for $100 to change it to January 19, 2020 when Swoop cancelled my first reservation. I called Swoop centre and lady was not helping me and was laughing. I regret to have booked 10 travels with Swoop, I should have book them with another company. I will never book again a flight with Swoop.
RouteAbbotsford to Edmonton
Date FlownNovember 2020

"We are very unhappy"

Trip Verified | We are very unhappy. We booked tickets with swoop from Hamilton to Edmonton leaving Nov 26/20. Alberta government mandated a lockdown the evening of Nov 24/20. I have been told that we cannot get a credit for the flight because it was not changed 24 hours prior to take off. How were we to know that the province of Alberta would be locked down? We didn't have 24 hours notice to change the flights! When booking, we paid the extra to change tickets because of the way things are these days with Covid19 and all of the uncertainty. We can change our return ticket only, great. What good do return tickets from Edmonton do us? We are now out of pocket over $600 and very upset about it. This is not how you do business my friends, this is not how you keep customers coming back!
RouteHamilton to Edmonton