Swiss Intl Air Lines

"all they refunded was the airport tax"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | I cancelled my 26 February Air Malta / SWISS flights to Geneva at the beginning of February. The airline policy says refunds will be given in 4-6 weeks. After months of trying to contact the customer support and getting nowhere I finally received an email 5 months later stating my refund is on its way, to my disappointment I was refunded less than a third of what the flights actually cost me, all they refunded was the airport tax. I tried getting in touch with the customer support once again and unsurprisingly could not get through to anyone. Swiss Air have terrible customer service I will never fly with them again.
RouteMalta to Geneva via Zurich
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Swiss are below any standard from my experience"

Trip Verified | My flight from ZRH to GWT was cancelled due to COVID19. Most horrible customer service ever. Impossible to reach any agent. Still waiting for an answer and refund after several months, whereas all other airlines have already refunded my cancelled trips. Swiss are below any standard from my experience.
RouteZurich to Sylt
Date FlownMarch 2020

"closed my other flights"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | After my first sector Cathay Dragon flight from DaNang to Hong Kong was cancelled, they apparently made a mistake and closed my other flights. As a result I couldn't take my flight from Hong Kong to Nice via Zürich, though it was confirmed on my side. I spent 4 hours on the phone at Hong Kong Airport with Expedia, with whom I booked the flight, and they were trying to understand why they had closed my flight. I had to fly the next day back home with Aeroflot since Expedia / Swiss didn't manage to figure out the problem in 4 hours on the phone.I wrote Swiss an email on March 10th to complain, but I haven't heard back from them after more than 3 months. I will never fly with that company ever gain.
RouteHong Kong to Nice via Zürich
Date FlownMay 2020

"never book with them again"

Not Verified | Awful communication. Trying to get an answer from them is a waste of time. On the phone or by mail, they’ll reply but never answer the questions you ask them. It feels like they don’t even read what you write. We’re still waiting for them to give us some money back, and they don’t even have an idea of when it’s gonna happen. I will never book with them again and advise you not to. Definitely not a reliable company.
RouteZürich to Phuket
Date FlownApril 2020

"Still waiting for the refund"

Trip Verified | Dealing with Swiss has been nightmare. They modified my return flight significantly, completely canceled my final flight destination country which makes it impossible to reach the final destination. After being on the phone for 3 days and being bounced back and forth, they connected me with the "supervisor" who confirmed that the flight has been cancelled by the airline, and when asked about the refund, at first he said that there will be no refund and after I mentioned I am recording the phone call and they are required to provide refund according to EU law, he said that the refund will be coming but he doesn't know when. And that I should contact Swiss again in 2 months. I has to deal with Swiss several times in the past and there always seem to be a problem with their agents - unprofessional, incompetent, they are refusing to help and refusing to connect you to the supervisor. Still waiting for the refund, but will never again book through them. Very tired and frustrated of dealing with this airline.
RouteCalgary to Kiev via Zurich
Date FlownJune 2019

"we are still waiting"

Not Verified | We had premium seats for the flight which was booked through United in the US. United provided the refund promptly for the ticket due to COVID outbreak, but we were told to also process refund for upgrade charges through Swiss who were operating our planes. A month after submitting the refund request for the add'l charges for upgrades we are still waiting. All we have is a print out of a submission for refund online, no email recognition that the refund request was received, no updates on processing. We cannot get hold of any relevant department and the booking agents in the US have no idea how long it'll take to process the fees - they cannot look anything up but assured us that a refund would be provided. This related to a canceled ticket and flight. We have essentially paid for virtual upgrades in some parallel universe. While other airlines are similarly inundated they have systems in place for response and provide email responses and guidelines. Swiss has no such thing in place after months dealing with the epidemic.
RouteWashington to Barcelona via Zurich

"refund was refused"

Trip Verified | Swiss International canceled my flight, did not offer any alternative and refused any compensation. As the world was locking down Swiss International canceled my flight. I don't have a problem with that. I called them on the phone and after a long wait they told me that I had to call the travel agent (Expedia) who sold me the ticket. I called Expedia and after multiple tries and long waits got through to a helpful person who told me that Swiss International still had a flight scheduled for the same day from Newark rather than JFK. I told them that would be fine and waited on the phone while Expedia attempted to rebook. This proved impossible because Swiss International would not provide them the code they needed. I gave up and was unable to fly anywhere. After the fact I had repeated contact with Expedia, who unlike Swiss International would answer the phone, about getting a refund, voucher or whatever. The final word from Swiss International was delivered via email through Expedia that any refund was refused due to “rules and restrictions.”
RouteNew York to Valencia via Zurich
Date FlownMarch 2020

"full refund was promised"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | I have always had much respect for Lufthansa, as my experiences have been positive. While I accept that the airline is prioritising rescheduled flight passengers, a plan must surely be made to accommodate cancellations. I was forced to cancel my flight on 18 March 2020 and a full refund was promised. However their normal turnaround time cannot be adhered to and they unable to provide a date to process my refund.
RouteJohannesburg to Barcelona via Zurich
Date FlownMarch 2020

"a total time-consuming mess"

Trip Verified | Under the pandemic situation, it became even more clear which airlines are the real low-cost ones. I had multiple tickets with Swiss for cancelled flights amounting to 500+chf, but I could not change one of them for a 60chf-flight. Class and ticket category differences, upgrades and downgrades, system excuses and a total time-consuming mess over the phone to even get information. Even airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet provided straightforward vouchers.
RouteGeneva to Vienna
Date FlownApril 2020

"I will never fly Swiss again"

Trip Verified | I had a flight booked for 28th April, and I rang on March 28th to try and get an answer of what would be happening. I was told I had 3 options: 1) Cancel the flight myself and receive only £50 refund per passenger, I told them this was not an option 2) Rebook using their new rebooking policy, again I told them this was not an option and we cannot rebook within the available timeframe, not do we want to. In his words ‘Wait and see, we might cancel your flight ourselves’. I told him this process was disappointing but that would have to be our option. I am now due to fly tomorrow, and so I checked the website for flight information - There is no clear indication on any flights that have been cancelled. I have received no communications that my flight has been cancelled via email or otherwise. I then rang the company’s UK call centre, only to be told that the flight is no longer running, but more than that, that I myself had requested a cancellation previous to the flight being cancelled by Swiss. As stated above this was not the case, the agent I spoke to would not give me details on which staff member made the cancellation so that I could have it looked into, he would not pass me to a manager so that I could try and resolve the situation, and was completely unhelpful. The company is trying to cut me out of my £500 refund in any way possible, and I am disgusted with the way it has been handled. I will never fly Swiss again.
RouteBirmingham to Zurich