Surinam Airways

"No further action was taken"

Trip Verified | Surinam Airways cheated me by 250$, unwilling to refund a Flex ticket. I flew with Suriname Airways for the first and last time in September 2018 from Amsterdam to Paramaribo. Later I cancelled my Flex ticket for 11th October from Paramaribo to Port-of-Spain on Sep 07 2018 (9 weeks ago) because my schedule changed. The cancellation was in time and acknowledged by the customer service via e-mail. First Suriname Airways wanted to charge 40$ for the cancellation. Only after I reminded the staff that the Flex rate explicitly said "cancellation free" they agreed on refunding the whole price. Since then, for more than 5 weeks now I have been continuously asking about the processing of the case. The answer by the customer service is always: "we redirected your request to the financial department". No further action was taken beyond these words. It is obvious that Suriname Airways wants to postpone and will apparently never pay me back. I can only warn against booking flights with this Airline. It seems like they are not able to manage the most basic needs an Airline should provide its customers such as consistent information or customer service. It seems to me that the flights themselves are acceptable, if everything goes smooth. Seats, on-board service are alright. But if unexpected difficulties pop up, like delay or cancellation, expect Suriname Airways not being able to handle the situation or even to take advantage out of it - as in my case. Thus my advice would be: Stay away from Suriname Airways!
RouteParamaribo to Port-of-Spain
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Overall the service was good"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Paramaribo. Surinam Airways has good service unfortunately the A340-300 had some maintenance so they leased an A330 from Wamos Air but they have the service from Surinam Airways. The food was amazing with 2 hot meals. The crew was very friendly but the airplane from Wamos Air wasn't so good - no IFE for a 9 our flight (you can download the app for movies), no power outlets just a standard seat with table. Overall the service was good but the aircraft not.
RouteAmsterdam to Paramaribo
Date FlownOctober 2018

"choose an alternative"

Trip Verified | Miami to Georgetown. Flight from Miami was delayed an hour. Return trip with connecting flight from Georgetown was also delayed an hour, causing a missed connecting flight and an additional layover of combined 9 hours with additional cost of 2nd piece of luggage do to sending my son ahead with me checking his luggage in. Approached management and told it was my fault in not allowing 2 hours for getting thru customs. Told him that is incorrect as there was a 2 hour layover but they were an hour late! He says No we were only 46 minutes late. Wow, so when flying Surinam airlines make sure you don’t have to depend on on-time flights as they were late both times I used them in 5 Days. Not a good record, choose an alternative if promptness is important.
RouteMiami to Georgetown
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"flight has delay for 6 hrs "

(Trinidad & Tobago)

Verified Review | Port of Spain to Curacao with my family of (8 adult and 4 infants) flight time was 12.00 midday. On arrival at the airport at 9.00am for departure at 12.00 we were told that the flight has delay for 6 hrs - new departed time is 7.10pm arriving at our destination in the night. If you have sense you will know it is not easy to travel with infant with 6hrs delay?
Aircraft737-300
RoutePOS to CUR
Date FlownJuly 2016

Surinam Airways customer review

Just came up with them from Para to Aruba with an onward connection on Copa to Panama and Colombia. They had an inflight emergency and went back to Para. After a leisurely aircraft switch we left again now almost three hours late and my connection in Aruba was gone. The airline took no responsibility whatsoever for the missed connection not even to the point of offering a wifi space to make it a little easier to sort out options. Their only offer was to fly me back to Surinam. Faced with this prospect I bought a whole new ticket for an evening flight on Avianca which made for a pretty expensive trip. Their C class seats are pretty comfortable. Their catering was minimal.

(Aruba)

Flew SLM in July. We had a 15 minutes departure delay (Suriname - Aruba) but arrived surprisingly 20 minutes ahead of scheduled arrival time in Aruba. Service was excellent! Benefits: one-way ticket was much cheaper than Insel Air and there was no stop over in Curacao it was one straight smooth flight.

Surinam Airways customer review

GEO-PBM on 3/29/2014 - 737-300 flight was only 45 minutes but was fine. Seats a bit hard but had 3 seats to myself so was fine to stretch out. Flight attendants very nice - flight had originated in Miami and there were many people already on board when I boarded. Drink service was quick and flight smooth. A nice little airline - only thing that is a pain is that you still have to reconfirm your flight 72 hours in advance. And you have to call the airline office in the city you are departing from - not just any city office. When you were able to get the right phone number the person was very friendly and helpful I will say. Enjoyed my trip.

(Brazil)

MIA-PBM-BEL. This was my first time flying Surinam Airways and I can tell I was very surprised with the service! service on time ageing but well kept 737's crew friendly they hire a FA fluent in Portuguese to help Brazilian passengers on the flight to BEL the food and drink rounds frequent seats are comfy and there is good recline. My sole complaint will be about ground staff they can be grumpy and surly at times. Would fly them again.

(Aruba)

I have traveled Surinam Airways 3 times and none of those times we departed on time. The service on board is good though and they serve a hot meal at least. I fly most of the time from Aruba to Miami but instead of leaving at 11 am we departed 8pm! The other day supposed to leave Miami around 3.30 pm instead we left around 1 am. We spent 13 hours at Miami international they provided us with a 10$ voucher for food. Unacceptable.

Surinam Airways customer review

Jan 2012: AMS-PBM return on Airbus 340-300. Excellent flights; on time. Food and beverages: top quality. Personal entertainment system: average and not completely in working order but still acceptable.