Sunwing Airlines

"not be able to get the refund"

Trip Verified | I made a payment to Flight Center for a vacation booked through Sunwing on the 10th March 2020. I inquired with my travel agent about what would happen if we could not travel due to COVID-19 on the 14th March, the possible refund options, the process, etc. I requested to know the process for refunds from my travel agent on 16th and 17th March. On 17 March, I saw that Sunwing (per their website which I have screenshots of) was suspending all southbound flights, after clicking the link I saw that customers travelling between 17 March and 9 April could either choose to be refunded in the form of future travel vouchers OR request a full refund to the original payment method (credit card). - After reading the above policy on the Sunwing site, I emailed my travel agent to request a cancellation of my vacation and the full refund to the original payment method (I also emailed her the screenshots of the above mentioned policy). - On the 18th of March, I received confirmation from my travel agent that the cancellation request had been processed and that I would receive a full refund to my original payment method in roughly 3 weeks. On the 31st March, I received an email from my travel agent stating that Sunwing's policy had changed and that I was not longer going to be receiving a refund to the original payment method as originally requested and confirmed, but would instead receive future travel vouchers valid for 24 months. - I reached out to both my travel agent and Sunwing who both stated that I would not be able to get the refund as promised and that there was nothing they could do to help me recover those funds.
RouteVancouver to Cancun
Date FlownApril 2020

"great attitude"

Not Verified | Puerto Vallarta to Regina. My wife and I had a vacation booked in Mexico, having left Canada March 3, returning April 4, 2020, but with the COVID crisis, we did as prescribed by our government and health officials and tried to move our return flight ahead. We were successful in doing that with another airline, only to arrive at the Puerto Vallarta airport and find that a portion of our flight home had been cancelled with no communication. Needless to say, we did not get home March 21. Without any options left, a representative from another airline at the PVR airport suggested that we look at the Sunwing website; we saw that you could try standby with March 22 being their last flights out of PVR. We lined up early for a Calgary flight. The Sunwing reps were awesome in coming around frequently in a chaotic airport scene and updating information regarding remaining seats on various flights to Canadian destinations. We eventually took a Regina flight that had space and got us out of PVR 4 hours earlier. My wife and I travel regularly and we laud the entire travel industry for their efforts, their help and assistance, and their empathy in a very difficult time. We want to thank the airport representatives in PVR, all Sunwing staff, at check-in counters, and the entire flight crew for their care and attention, their professionalism and great attitude in this stressful time, not only for us as travellers, but also for them and their families. You have our gratitude as well as the gratitude of our families for getting us home! Thank you!
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Regina
Date FlownMarch 2020

"not going to reimburse us"

Not Verified | Montreal to Cancun. Sunwing confirmed to us and on several occasions over the past week they have reimbursed us for our entire trip as it was impossible for us to travel due to the Covid-19. As we had not received the reimbursement, we contacted them today to find out what was going on and they told us that ultimately they were not going to reimburse us, even though we had a verbal and email agreement reimbursement.
RouteMontreal to Cancun
Date FlownMarch 2020

"humane and generous service"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Kelowna. I can’t express my gratitude enough to Sunwing for their humane and generous service during the Corana Virus situation. While everyone we meet where left stranded by their airline Sunwing treated their customers with the outmost care. All services were provided as usual, the staff was conscientious and calm. We boarded our plane without delays and arrived at our hometown airport without a glitch. It will be with Sunwing that I will travel in the future. From the bottom of my heart I thank you.
RouteCancun to Kelowna
Date FlownMarch 2020

"only be getting a travel voucher"

Trip Verified | I had booked the flight to and from Nassau in November for travel for March 15 to 22. The government advised people of not travelling outside of Canada on March 13. Around this time airlines began to revise their refund policy. I had completed a online form for Sunwing at their request due to a high call volume when the government made a stronger advisory about not going outside of Canada. The form was notice of cancellation. When I contacted Sunwing after 2 days of trying to call Sunwing I was advised that I would only be getting a travel voucher for future use because the flight was on the 15 and not the 17th or later. The dates make no sense. I wanted and should have gotten a full refund. Sunwing is temporarily suspends all operations on March 23.
RouteToronto to Nassau
Date FlownMarch 2020

"we were left disappointed"

Not Verified | After much contemplation about flying Sunwing again because of a less than satisfactory experience last year, we decided to give them another chance and booked a trip to Panama with them. Once again, we were left disappointed. We were enjoying our stay at the resort; as such, we inquired with Sunwing about extending our trip 3 days, moving our flight from Friday to Monday. We spoke with the resort and confirmed that we could keep our room and that the cost would be $644. Sunwing advised that the total, including the room, would be $1675.00 to extend our stay by 3 days. Our total trip for one week, which already included a flight home, was $2025.00. To me, this seems as though Sunwing was charging for flights all over again, even though we were already there and had already paid for a flight back. We obviously decided to keep our original departure date and when it was time to chose seats, we were unable to upgrade to Elite Plus as the seats were all blocked out, this happened on the way there as well, but when we got to the airport, there were still Elite Plus seats available. Once again, we reached out to Sunwing and they were unwilling to help and just kept telling us we had to talk to them at the airport and that we needed to book these seats 24 hours in advance, but I tried to and was not able to as check-in can only be done 2-12 hours in advance of the flight. By the time we got to the desk at the airport, there were no Elite Plus seats left together, only sporadic seats spread throughout the plane. Since we have arrived home, my husband has now noticed that his wallet was stolen from his checked bag and we have contacted Sunwing, who once again has just said it was not turned in to them and we need to file a report with airport security. My advice to you, spend the extra couple bucks and fly with another airline!!
RouteToronto to Rio Hato, Panama
Date FlownMarch 2020

"staff were plain out rude to me"

Trip Verified | Cabo to Calgary. Worst airline I have ever flown. Not only do they pack people in like sardines, their staff were plain out rude to me. Will never use Sunwing again.
RouteCabo to Calgary

"extremely intoxicated behaviour"

Not Verified | We arrived to the airport the date of Feb 6 2020 to board our Sunwing flight leaving from Montego Bay to Toronto Our initial flight was scheduled to leave at 3:50pm and arrive in Toronto at 8:00pm. As we got there around 2:00pm, we were not notified of any delays as we entered through security/customs. (I had "text and email alerts from Sunwing" that NEVER once notified me of any updates and changes.) Upon arrival into the terminal we were told our flight was delayed. But no one had a reasoning as to why it was. It was about a 3 hour delay. We waited for the time frame that they posted would be our boarding time, to only find out that it was delayed AGAIN! Every time we spoke to people, they had different answers on the reasoning of this. (either the flight we were supposed to be on had to be used for another flight, the flight is delayed flying in, or the flight was experiencing "mechanical issues". Time kept ticking by, and as it went over the 3 hour mark where we are supposed to be compensated for this extensive delay with a food voucher, the Sunwing staff was incapable of giving us real answers and helping us understand the issues that were occurring. We had to legit BEG for these food vouchers of $15. Whats great about Montego Bay airport Is that the airport officially closes at 5:00pm. This means no one can leave to reenter security, all the restaurants close as all the flights are typically done and out by that timeframe. It was well over 5:00pm and we were still waiting for food vouchers to be released. We did receive the vouchers until 7:30-8:00pm! By that time nothing was open. We were the only people in the airport. We sat there. Waiting for updates. Absolutely nothing. At 8:45pm was the first real update on what was going on. The flaps on the plane were defective. They all refused to let us leave the airport, to stay a night somewhere and get the next flight in the morning. Their grand idea was to make us wait to arrange an empty plane from Cuba, gather last minute staff for that flight and fly to Montego Bay to get us and take us home. Of course, you can only imagine how long that would take. Our flight continued to get pushed back more and more "11:45pm" they promised we would be boarding. Thats over 8 hours waiting in an empty airport with no food, they did not provide any water. You can only imagine the amount of families and older aged people on the plane who had to sit around for this time frame with little to no updates and zero care.. During this long and dreadful wait, there were patrons on our plane who got into their duty free purchases. One gentlemen was extremely intoxicated by 11:45pm. Dancing around, singing to the top of his lungs, causing nonsense, disturbing people's space. Of course no one was around to monitor his behaviour except the other drunk friends he was with. As we were boarding the plane after midnight, I had let the flight attendants of the his extremely intoxicated behaviour. Which mind you, is extremely illegal to board a plane when you are this drunk. They thanked me for letting them know of this occurrence, and proceeded to let him on the flight? I wish they would have even taken initiative to at least talk to him about his behaviour as it was extremely disrespectful to the other patrons on the flight that had to deal with him the rest of the way home. We were supposed to be home at 8:00pm on Feb 6, and did not get into Toronto until Feb 7 at 5:30am
RouteMontego Bay to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Everyone was stressed, frustrated and annoyed"

Not Verified | 3 hour delay for no reason given. No apology from crew for the 3 hour delay. Sticky and dirty trays which I used wipes to scrub and clean. Rude flight attendants: not polite, speak with a rude tone, rushing through while people are waiting to use the washroom. Continue to close the blind making it uncomfortable to use the washroom, while waiting for the washroom, flight attendants continued to close the blind and speak about cutting off the use of the washroom so they can finally bring the carts through (which took them 1.5 hours to even offer water and no one was waiting for the washrooms for over 45 mins during take off and stable elevation). Not a good choice of dinner. Who eats sandwiches for dinner? Luckily we purchased dinner at Punta Cana airport. Headphones purchased weren't working. No movie playing. When leaving Toronto and arriving into Toronto, we had to leave the terminal in the freezing cold with no coats to get on a shuttle to take us to terminal 3. I wish we had been mentioned this before we booked with Sunwing. It was a horrible experience. Everyone was stressed, frustrated and annoyed.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"experience was absolutely horrendous"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Punta Cana. Would not recommend Sunwing at all. If you can go with another airline do so. Customer service is the last of their priority. No one to help you when you have a problem. Delay, delay delay. No one knows what’s going on . Always the same excuse (maintenance) We had an issue with a massive delay, their resolution was a $15 voucher. Which was to be used within the airport. When we tried to use it, it was only applicable to one store which had already been closed. Then again, no help, no service. Their resolution was to make things worse. We’ve travelled with Sunwing before and it has been acceptable but this experience was absolutely horrendous No point in the headache when there are others out there. Again would not recommend!
RouteToronto to Punta Cana