Sunwing Airlines

"staff were very friendly"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Liberia return on Sunwing Airlines. While going only one washroom worked. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but do not expect 5 star rating in these economy flights
RouteToronto to Liberia

"attendants did nothing"

Not Verified | I’ll start with the flight. Our flight took off at 5:45pm and we landed in Cuba after 1am. We paid extra for the elite plus package. The 3rd row we had on the way down was ideal. We got the first row on the way back, it was the worst, you couldn’t move the arm rest and it’s annoying to have no place to put your bags. On the way down, we had a rowdy, loud couple who never stopped talking. It was annoying until around 11pm and just ignorant after that as it would have been nice to have a little nap given we weren’t getting to our hotel until 3-4am. The flight attendants did nothing to get them to be quiet, rather, they participated in the shenanigans. If I had my kids with me, I would have been extremely upset. On the way back, the same couple was on the plane and were still talking the whole way home. We left Cuba after 3am so everyone wanted to sleep and these people never shut up. Again, no one from sunwing said anything to them. Grow a back bone for your other passengers flight comfort and say something to these people please! As for the resort, it was amazing. However, Sunwing was paid by us for a 7 day stay. We really got more like 6 and a few hours because of the time our flight came in. I would recommend you ask Sunwing about this. Our check in time for our resort was 3pm March 2nd. We hadn’t even left Edmonton until 5:45pm that same day. Our flight home was at 3:35am on March 10th. We had to vacate our room at 12pm on March 9th meaning we had no room to stay in for 11 hours before the bus came to take us to the airport. When we spoke to the resort, they said sometimes when Sunwing does this, they pay for the room or negotiate late check out. They did nothing of the sort. The resort however took care of us and we checked out at 4pm and were offered a courtesy room in case we wanted to freshen up before the flight. That was 100% because we spoke to a wonderful man named Oscar who helps run the resort. When I went to the front desk, they basically said that’s what sunwing paid for so if we hadn’t found Oscar, we would have been screwed. I’ve stayed once in Cuba before and had the exact same flight situation but we got to keep our room until we left. This is why I will book through that company in the future. I’ve had so many issues with Sunwing that I haven’t booked with them in 4 years and I never will again. They’re the worst!
RouteEdmonton to Varadero
Date FlownMarch 2019

" Everything was perfect"

Not Verified | We were very nervous about all this negative reviews about Sunwing and Vacation Express. Everything was perfect! We was greeted at the airport from Vacation Express representative and asked if we have any questions. The airplane was right on time transfers at the airport went smooth and what more can you expect?! We had a great time! Thank you!
RouteDetroit to Punta Cana
Date FlownMarch 2019

"never recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Regina to Puerto Plata. Our destination and return flights were both delayed. The destination flight delay was blamed on weather from our fly out location- even though other airlines were still able to fly out of the airport. Our return flight was delayed by 10 hours and multiple reasons were provided but none verified. Sunwing never took any of the blame and did not have any communication with any of the passengers. They had re routed us without letting us know. And we had to make an additional stop to get more fuel. I have never had any issues flying before and I have been on over 50 flights. This was by far this worst experience I’ve had. Terrible communication. My review is delayed because I have sunwing a chance to try to correct this mistake by contacting their customer service. They refused to take any of the blame and were extremely unhelpful. I would never recommend this airline or fly with them again.
RouteRegina to Puerto Plata
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Little to no info from Sunwing"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Zihuatanejo. Leaving Edmonton, check in was unorganized, understaffed, and ridiculously slow. Boarding was late, probably due to terrible check in as well. Plane on way back ran out of fuel and had to divert to Calgary. Little to no info from Sunwing handed out. Told there was a rep and baggage carousel, nope, had to go through Customs, and still no Sunwing rep. Calgary white hat people were trying to help but it was obvious they knew it was Sunwing and they would be dealing with it. Was told to go back to departures and wait there. Waited close to an hour with still no rep in sight. Got frustrated and went and booked a WestJet flight instead to get home. I understand that mistakes can be made (running out of fuel) but to have nobody helping or assisting customers on a mistake made by your Airline is totally unacceptable. Sunwing is a low budget Airline cutting corners and should be avoided as they see no value in assisting customers. Flight was originally set for 20:45 in YEG, landed in YYC instead, and found out later delayed until 10:45 next morning for YEG. I am sure that would have been a fun night with maybe 5 hrs sleep for the families and other customers. Not sure if they got a hotel or had to stay in Airport. Was not waiting to find out as it was after 10:30 and no Sunwing rep in sight yet, with a full plane of customers waiting in line to talk to rep when they showed up.
RouteEdmonton to Zihuatanejo

"flight was awesome"

Not Verified | Toronto to Holguin. My two daughters and I flew with Sunwing the week of Feb 17/ 2019, the service and flight was awesome, the staff was wonderful and very polite, the flight both ways were very nice with absolutely no issues. We will fly Sunwing again without any hesitations. Thanks Sunwing for the awesome flight.
RouteToronto to Holguin
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"the image of incompetence"

Trip Verified | We had a very poor experience flying with Sunwing. We were to fly from Toronto to Cayo Coco on January 28th, however, thanks to the snow storm the plane was delayed and delayed until finally cancelled until the next morning at about 930 pm. We appreciated the food vouchers, but it was frustrating to have the delays continue until it was so late it was going to be very challenging to leave. We ended up staying at the airport. The next morning at 3 am for check in, we were told by one staff member to check in in a particular line (we had an infant and stroller), then were told something else by another Sunwing staff. The lack of cohesive messaging and communication was probably the most frustrating, as we understand the reason for the delay but it just did not seem like the staff knew what they were doing. Furthermore, I later discovered that my luggage was sent on a different flight to Cuba so I thought it was missing but then we found it in the lost and found at the airport. Not a good feeling to think your luggage is lost after being up all night with a baby and knowing your vacation at that point could be ruined. Thankfully it was there at the airport but I wonder how that happened. On the way home, we experienced more delays as passengers were all loaded and then we had to wait while they vetted and then removed a drunk passenger from the plane. We also had a stop over in Cienfuegos, and as my husband had pointed out, both to and from Cuba the flights booked were both originally direct so again not sure how that happened. For us the issue was not the uncontrollables, it was the image of incompetence and lack of strong training and organization evident among the staff. If you talked to two different people you had two different messages, or heard I don't know. That does not help frustrated passengers waiting for information. I strongly recommend these issues be addressed starting at the top or these reviews will only continue to be bleak, sadly.
RouteToronto to Cayo Coco via Cienfuegos
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"not deal with them again"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Cancun. Sunwing cannot or will not take care of a problem for the life of them. A very poor experience my first and last experience booking with them. A party of 10 of us flew to Playa Del Carmen for a wedding & flight was delayed then when we got to hotel we were not booked in til a day later. We were travelling with a 1.5 yr old baby who was hungry & tired since we had to wait for 2 hours before hotel found us a room. We were not put into rooms we paid for but put into standard rooms. We had to meet up with their rep at the hotel the next morning and said he would have an answer at 3 pm for us then at 3 pm he wanted us to stay put in the charity room we were put in the night before till the next day as the office is not open on Sundays. No accountability from Sunwing nor hotel but each blaming the other for a mistake that clearly is not our own as our reservations were made in November. Our other family used WestJet & had no problems. I am sorry we gave Sunwing our business (party of 10) of about $20,000. Very very disappointing & they don’t even care enough to see if our problem has been dealt with satisfactorily. Will not deal with them again!
RouteEdmonton to Cancun
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"has been the worst experience"

Not Verified | Edmonton to Liberia via Calgary. I booked this vacation without reviewing Sunwing, this was my first mistake. Many of the concerns and issues raised by previous reviewers are unfortunately very accurate. This airline did not know connecting times in Calgary and couldn't issue both boarding passes. When asked, the response was "you will need to figure it out in Calgary". Not a good impression from the extremely unhelpful staff in Edmonton. The flight was delayed, apparently this is very common according to Sunwing staff. They also cancelled a Vancouver flight and caused multiple issues with double seat bookings and frustrations with other passengers. No power source to charge devices, no screens on the TV for the kids. We were advised that we could order food from the menu on board prior to boarding, and again at the beginning of the flight, only to find out most items are not on board unless you ordered way in advance (we tried to order Sandwiches for the kids). I am 6'1", my knees were pressed into the seat the whole trip. When the passenger in front attempted to recline, it became unbearable and they were unable to recline as a result. As we were on the back row, we were also unable to recline. As a regular flyer, it has been the worst experience on any airline ever and I have flown throughout the world on many low budget airlines. The staff are obviously left to deal with this regularly which clearly shows with the low level of enthusiasm throughout. Unfortunately my first and last time with this airline. It has definitely put a disappointing mark on our vacation. I would not recommend this airline, very disappointing!
AircraftBoeing 737 max
RouteEdmonton to Liberia via Calgary
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"no drinks, snacks, or a blanket "

Trip Verified | On our original flight from Toronto to Punta Cana, our flight was delayed numerous times and I did not receive any notification from the airline. On the way home, our flight was delayed over 13 hours. I can’t completely blame Sunwing as the weather was pretty bad in Canada at the time. That being said, they did not do anything to accommodate us for our troubles - no drinks, snacks, or even a blanket as our day flight at 1pm was moved to 2:30am - which was disappointing. Lastly, and this is the big one for me, our aircraft was so cold that there was actually ice forming inside of the plane under the window - see photo.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto