Sunwing Airlines

"never travel with Sunwing again"

Not Verified | We travelled to Cuba last year (I would have posted this sooner but it has taken them more than a year to resolve our issue) and while the resort was nice we ended up getting hooked into a scam. During the orientation session we were told it was essential to book a place in the VIP Lounge “as soon as possible” for when we were leaving because: - the main hall of the airport has no air conditioning - the main hall of the airport has no food vendors - you get priority check-in - you get expedited baggage checks Well the long story short is all of it was an unequivocal lie. There was food and A/C in the airport and no priority services were offered. To make the best of it, the VIP lounge was oversold and some people had no place to sit. We paid $70 USD for two people to book the lounge. I contacted Sunwing immediately upon our return to discuss and figured it would be a simple reply... “sorry for your experience, we will gladly refund that amount”. Well after dealing with three employees including a manager and having Sunwing go back to the local resort provider we received a negative result from both. I even suggested a credit of $70 which of course would have ensured future business for them but even that was refused. We will never travel with Sunwing again!
RouteHalifax to Cayo Santa Maria
Date FlownJune 2020

"I have never seen anything like this"

Not Verified | I was on the second flight coming back under the new restrictions set by the Canadian government. When we arrived at our hotel we immediately set out to find our Sunwing rep to organize having the covid test done for our arrival home. He knew nothing about it, surprisingly. As Sunwings head office is in Toronto, I would hope they would communicate the laws necessary to travel. After two days of asking the Rep to find the information necessary for us to return home, we spoke with a few people on our resort who flew with Air Canada, they had a bus set up to take them to a clinic to have the test done. We realized Sunwing was not interested in helping us, we took matters into our own hands. I contacted the emergency hotline at the embassy in Ottawa, they emailed me a list of clinics in the Dominican that provided the test necessary under the new Canadian travel laws. We took a cab to the one closest to us, where we had to get a prescription for the test, we were told to come back the next day for the test. We went back the next day and needed a stamp? And were told to come back again the next day for the test. We realized we were being taken for a ride. After making friends with our cab driver, we finally had a translator and after 4 days of running around we got the test. What a waste of our time. After paying for our own way to the airport, as we had to go get our test results. We quickly realized that the plane to Montreal that was supposed to leave hours earlier left without it's passengers. It was chaos, I travel with work, I'm on a plane every six days, and I have never seen anything like this. People shouting, laying on the ground, sleeping in wheel chairs, screaming at Sunwing reps. It was crazy! As it turns out all of the information on the covid tests was written down inaccurately and Sunwing wouldn't accept it. The passport numbers were wrong, or the date of birth was wrong, or not even on it at all. Mine had my age but not birthdate (which is on my passport, and my passport number was correct making that a stupid and redundant argument). I called the doctor we used for the test, he quickly corrected the problem and emailed a new form, but then Sunwing wouldn't accept it because it wasn't printed? One Sunwing rep recommend that my girlfriend leave me because her information was ok but mine wasn't. Do you believe that? In the end they accepted our information but left dozens of people stranded, they just packed up and left, so unorganized, no announcements, nothing, didn't offer us a meal, a ride, not even a goodbye, nothing, they just up and left. The plane was almost empty, the flight attendant was not happy, but neither were any of us. I asked for a snack, after sitting on a tarmac for hours, she offered to sell me a sandwich. I declined. I never leave reviews like this, and I've never had a problem with Sunwing. But after watching Air Canada clients get there tests done without any issues, then watching them get on a plane without any issues, I had to say something. Sunwing was unorganized from the first second, I could go on, didn't email our confirmation, had no answers, didn't care about us. Our rep was happy to sell us an excursion, (which I would have loved to do if I wasn't spending my holiday running around to get a test) but could not care less about our safety or way home. I contacted Sunwing to offer them a chance to rectify or at least explain.
RouteToronto to Punta Cana
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Shame on this company"

Not Verified | My Fiancé and I booked a great trip through SunWing Vacations that was roughly $3,500 months before COVID and even bought the insurance. A week before we were going on our trip our government made it mandatory to isolate for 2 weeks once we arrive back and were not guaranteeing that we would even have a flight home so we cancelled (using the insurance that we bought). We were then told that we would not be getting our money back but would be getting a travel voucher (same as everyone even if they did not buy the insurance). I have called SunWing numerous times just to be told "sorry this is how we do it" or "Don't worry your voucher is good for 2 years". We are in a pandemic and SunWing is not even flying out of my province this year which means I only have 1 year left to use the voucher. 1st off what was the insurance for as it was the exact same as everyone else. 2nd can you not at least make the vouchers not expire as I paid a lot of money for this trip. Its not a $50 dollar gift card this is $3,500 dollars that was saved up to go on our first vacation together and you guys have ruined this. I would expect in these times a voucher that cannot expire or our money back. I work at the airport and will not be recommending this airline to anyone as they clearly have no remorse or compassion for people and are all about the profits. Shame on this company.
RouteWinnipeg to Cuba

"it was very pleasant"

Not Verified | I flew with Sunwing Airlines from Montreal to Puerto-Plata in 2019 and it was very pleasant. Sunwing had very good food on board and it was a ham sandwich in a croissant. They have friendly service. the down side is the seat. The seat is very hard to sleep in and my flight was 4h30. i did not have a lot of sleep. bathroom is like a normal 737-800 but its a bit dirty.
RouteMontreal to Puerto-Plata
Date FlownDecember 2019

"not be able to get the refund"

Trip Verified | I made a payment to Flight Center for a vacation booked through Sunwing on the 10th March 2020. I inquired with my travel agent about what would happen if we could not travel due to COVID-19 on the 14th March, the possible refund options, the process, etc. I requested to know the process for refunds from my travel agent on 16th and 17th March. On 17 March, I saw that Sunwing (per their website which I have screenshots of) was suspending all southbound flights, after clicking the link I saw that customers travelling between 17 March and 9 April could either choose to be refunded in the form of future travel vouchers OR request a full refund to the original payment method (credit card). - After reading the above policy on the Sunwing site, I emailed my travel agent to request a cancellation of my vacation and the full refund to the original payment method (I also emailed her the screenshots of the above mentioned policy). - On the 18th of March, I received confirmation from my travel agent that the cancellation request had been processed and that I would receive a full refund to my original payment method in roughly 3 weeks. On the 31st March, I received an email from my travel agent stating that Sunwing's policy had changed and that I was not longer going to be receiving a refund to the original payment method as originally requested and confirmed, but would instead receive future travel vouchers valid for 24 months. - I reached out to both my travel agent and Sunwing who both stated that I would not be able to get the refund as promised and that there was nothing they could do to help me recover those funds.
RouteVancouver to Cancun
Date FlownApril 2020

"great attitude"

Not Verified | Puerto Vallarta to Regina. My wife and I had a vacation booked in Mexico, having left Canada March 3, returning April 4, 2020, but with the COVID crisis, we did as prescribed by our government and health officials and tried to move our return flight ahead. We were successful in doing that with another airline, only to arrive at the Puerto Vallarta airport and find that a portion of our flight home had been cancelled with no communication. Needless to say, we did not get home March 21. Without any options left, a representative from another airline at the PVR airport suggested that we look at the Sunwing website; we saw that you could try standby with March 22 being their last flights out of PVR. We lined up early for a Calgary flight. The Sunwing reps were awesome in coming around frequently in a chaotic airport scene and updating information regarding remaining seats on various flights to Canadian destinations. We eventually took a Regina flight that had space and got us out of PVR 4 hours earlier. My wife and I travel regularly and we laud the entire travel industry for their efforts, their help and assistance, and their empathy in a very difficult time. We want to thank the airport representatives in PVR, all Sunwing staff, at check-in counters, and the entire flight crew for their care and attention, their professionalism and great attitude in this stressful time, not only for us as travellers, but also for them and their families. You have our gratitude as well as the gratitude of our families for getting us home! Thank you!
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Regina
Date FlownMarch 2020

"not going to reimburse us"

Not Verified | Montreal to Cancun. Sunwing confirmed to us and on several occasions over the past week they have reimbursed us for our entire trip as it was impossible for us to travel due to the Covid-19. As we had not received the reimbursement, we contacted them today to find out what was going on and they told us that ultimately they were not going to reimburse us, even though we had a verbal and email agreement reimbursement.
RouteMontreal to Cancun
Date FlownMarch 2020

"humane and generous service"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Kelowna. I can’t express my gratitude enough to Sunwing for their humane and generous service during the Corana Virus situation. While everyone we meet where left stranded by their airline Sunwing treated their customers with the outmost care. All services were provided as usual, the staff was conscientious and calm. We boarded our plane without delays and arrived at our hometown airport without a glitch. It will be with Sunwing that I will travel in the future. From the bottom of my heart I thank you.
RouteCancun to Kelowna
Date FlownMarch 2020

"only be getting a travel voucher"

Trip Verified | I had booked the flight to and from Nassau in November for travel for March 15 to 22. The government advised people of not travelling outside of Canada on March 13. Around this time airlines began to revise their refund policy. I had completed a online form for Sunwing at their request due to a high call volume when the government made a stronger advisory about not going outside of Canada. The form was notice of cancellation. When I contacted Sunwing after 2 days of trying to call Sunwing I was advised that I would only be getting a travel voucher for future use because the flight was on the 15 and not the 17th or later. The dates make no sense. I wanted and should have gotten a full refund. Sunwing is temporarily suspends all operations on March 23.
RouteToronto to Nassau
Date FlownMarch 2020

"we were left disappointed"

Not Verified | After much contemplation about flying Sunwing again because of a less than satisfactory experience last year, we decided to give them another chance and booked a trip to Panama with them. Once again, we were left disappointed. We were enjoying our stay at the resort; as such, we inquired with Sunwing about extending our trip 3 days, moving our flight from Friday to Monday. We spoke with the resort and confirmed that we could keep our room and that the cost would be $644. Sunwing advised that the total, including the room, would be $1675.00 to extend our stay by 3 days. Our total trip for one week, which already included a flight home, was $2025.00. To me, this seems as though Sunwing was charging for flights all over again, even though we were already there and had already paid for a flight back. We obviously decided to keep our original departure date and when it was time to chose seats, we were unable to upgrade to Elite Plus as the seats were all blocked out, this happened on the way there as well, but when we got to the airport, there were still Elite Plus seats available. Once again, we reached out to Sunwing and they were unwilling to help and just kept telling us we had to talk to them at the airport and that we needed to book these seats 24 hours in advance, but I tried to and was not able to as check-in can only be done 2-12 hours in advance of the flight. By the time we got to the desk at the airport, there were no Elite Plus seats left together, only sporadic seats spread throughout the plane. Since we have arrived home, my husband has now noticed that his wallet was stolen from his checked bag and we have contacted Sunwing, who once again has just said it was not turned in to them and we need to file a report with airport security. My advice to you, spend the extra couple bucks and fly with another airline!!
RouteToronto to Rio Hato, Panama