Sunwing Airlines

"the Sunwing policy is to delay"

Not Verified | Firstly let me say that my wife and I fly a couple of times a year to Cuba and Sunwing is our usual airline of choice. Typically we have no complaints and enjoy the service that Sunwing offers , as they have always been good to us. In saying that we did have an issue on the return trip of our last vacation (departing May 11, 2019 ). Ever since our return I have been in constant contact with Sunwing attempting to receive an explanation to their policy as to the seating of overweight passengers. Now I understand the issue that there are passengers with weight problems and I am sympathetic however this should not be at inconvenience of other passengers. On our flight to Cuba we had no issues. On the bus to the resort there was a very large couple sitting in a row each. That was fine. On our return flight this couple were offered seats in the front row of the plane. We were seated in Row 2. The husband was assigned the aisle seat and the wife assigned the aisle seat opposite. For some reason she could be sit in this oversize seat. The stewardess asked if anybody wanted to switch seats with her and the tiny woman in the aisle seat next to me said sure (and I don't blame her ). Long story short the wife sat next to me and I was basically left with half seat for the trip home. Extremely uncomfortable to say the least. Since returning I have been in constant contact with Sunwing for a explanation and policy in the seating of obese passengers and the effect on other fare paying passengers. I have received 3 replies from Sunwing . All very apologetic but saying nothing that they will look into it and get back to me. I think the Sunwing policy is to delay, delay, delay till the complainant gives up. Any thoughts as to what I do to get them to respond?
RouteToronto to Cayo Santa Maria
Date FlownMay 2019

"The worst airlines I’ve been on"

Not Verified | Toronto to Punta Cana. The worst airlines I’ve been on. They tell us after we boarded the plane that they are having problems with the ac. From a 12 hr delay we have been sitting on the plane making it another 2 hours. We not only had a bad flight there, but we missed a day and a half of our trip due to Sunwing's unprofessional aircraft with no compensation. It would have been cheaper to book a 6 day trip yet we paid full and didn’t get our money’s worth. 200$ voucher is ridiculous. For such an inconvenience of a short notice delay to an extended delay they should compensate us fully with a refund, policy aside. I felt bad for the elderly in our plane. Never again.
RouteToronto to Punta Cana

"Horrible experience"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Cancun. WG517-WG518 Horrible experience. We have booked direct flights since we travel with 2 young kids. 3 weeks prior to departure, we received an email indicating that our returning itinerary had been changed. There will be a stop in Toronto?! 06.17.2019 Montreal to Cancun flight: 3.5 hours delay. Never ever have we experienced it with other airlines. The Sunwing employee said our 9h10am flight had an engine “problem” and they have to wait for a functioning one to come. She added they cannot give us the Elite Plus seats we have paid for since she doesn’t know the configuration of the new airplane. 3.5 hours later we went in the airplane and realized there were some passengers from Toronto who are already in it! They were all looking unhappy since they were forced to stop at the YUL airport to pick all passengers from Montreal. 06.24. 2019 Returning flight (Cancun to Montreal with a stop in Toronto): Our 2:25pm flight was delayed to 7:50pm. When we arrived at the airport, the flight was delayed again to 9pm. No explanation from Sunwing. With a stop in Toronto, we arrived at 4am on 06.25.2019 in Montreal! Sunwing is now renting Eastern Airlines airplanes. The airplanes are very old. The seats are broken and uncomfortable. The smell is unbearable. I have read similar reviews from other passengers in social media concerning Sunwing. It looks like our situation was not unique. Strange, not the same flights, not the same destination, not the same dates but very similar situations. I let you think about it.
RouteMontreal to Cancun
Date FlownJune 2019

"This service is terrible"

Not Verified | Not sure why I scheduled a 6.15am flight. Currently sitting on the runway and its 6.45 am. The pilot is blaming us the passengers that we didn't board on time when they had come on the cabin speaker at 6.25 saying boarding was complete. This service is terrible. I never really choose Sunwing, it's as if the only flights available when I am trying to leave are via Sunwing. I never look forward, or have looked forward to flying with them. No employee has any manners, and often speak to people as if they're from another planet, its bothersome how rude/embarrassing it is considering Toronto is a world class city. Too bad Sunwing is not up to these standards. You'd be better off on a raft anywhere you go.
AircraftWg807
Routetoronto to Vancouver
Date FlownApril 2019

"never fly Sunwing again"

Not Verified | Toronto to Varadero. Paid for an earlier return flight, my ticket confirmed our flight. While iat the resort I went to check our pickup time and found out that our 10::15 am flight was canceled and we were booked on a 21:15 flight. We didn't want to leave so late. I've asked for a refund and was told nothing doing. They reserve the right to change flights and those of us who paid for this service do not get a refund. Will never fly Sunwing again.
RouteToronto to Varadero
Date FlownMay 2019

"does not sell non stop flight"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Antigua. Sunwing be careful to what you are agreeing to and their flight definitions. This year we planned our vacation early. We found what we thought were non stop short flights to an amazing island. We were happy. Then came an email from Sunwing last week with changes. A stop in Toronto and three more hours of travelling time. We will be travelling in August so at this point they can change our schedule multiple time. We have been in contact with their Sunwing cares department and here are their explanations when we told them it was not a schedule change but an itinerary change due to the extra stop.  "Sunwing does not accept responsibility for lost wages, missed holiday time or any other additional expenses incurred as a result of changes in flight times." "Sunwing does not sell non stop flight at this moment.To further explain flight terms, a direct flight is a flight between point A and B, which may include a stop-over. A stop-over may be used to pick up new passengers or allow some to disembark, while the other stay on the plane. Direct flights are often mistaken with non-stop flights, which are flights involving no intermediate stops" "Sunwing is a chartered airline company, the flight times are subject to change and operational changes can occur, which may result in the need to reschedule, cancel, or consolidate flights. In your case, unfortunately, your flight time was changed. Please note that the possibility of this change is part of the terms and conditions that must be agreed upon prior prior to a booking being made" After several emails they gave us an the right to change our destination. However when trying to clarify what that really meant, here is what we received: "However, please note that in changing destinations, there is the possibility that your flight times could change again. please note that when changing destinations, there is an administration fee and you'd also have to pay current system rates per person." "Although you are not forced to find something of the same value, kindly note that if you were to choose something of a lesser value, we would be keeping the higher rate between both vacations". Learn from our mistake and be vigilant. Know exactly what you are agreeing to. This company seems to be misleading clients into thinking they offer non stop flights which they are not. Then they try to be generous with their customers by providing them a way to spend more money with them.
RouteMontreal to Antigua
Date FlownNovember 2018

"they can do nothing"

Not Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. This is the worst service I have ever had. I booked the flight time at 8pm almost 2 months ago but 7 days before I leave, Sunwing just sent me an email said they have changed my time from 8pm to 6am! That is totally unacceptable! I called them but they said this is the only time they have that day and they can do nothing to change my flight. They didn't even give me a reason why they change my flight time in such a early time! This is really disgusting and awful. I will never take this flight again.
RouteToronto to Vancouver

"delays delays delays"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Santa Clara. Awful service, delays delays delays. The Montreal airport staff for Sunwing is beyond incompetent. Communication is hard and confused staff. Lack of a smile and greetings. No screen or food on board. The cheapest of the cheaps.
RouteMontreal to Santa Clara

"Disgusting customer service"

Not Verified | Booked a simple weekend trip to Vancouver to see family, leaving Friday evening, returning Monday early morning to avoid missing any work. Sunwing Airlines proceeded to change our flight to extremely early Friday morning and very late Monday night. When called they advised me that we agreed to flight time changes and there was nothing they could do for us. Disgusting customer service, they gave us what they call a "premium" upgrade and were so gracious as to let us choose to sit together on our flights. Word to the wise pay a bit more and book with someone else. I will say it again, never make the mistake of booking with this 'travel' company.
RouteToronto to Vancouver

"mismanaged, incompetent"

Trip Verified | Punta Cana to Toronto. If you’re thinking of booking a flight with Sunwing Airlines don’t! They are the most mismanaged, incompetent airline. The flight was supposed to land in Toronto from Punta Cana at 4:15pm today. Rescheduled to 6:38pm. Then on the day of the flight rescheduled again to taking off at 7:30pm landing here in Toronto at 12:30 am Monday morning. Then rescheduled once more... now landing at 1:30am. To say I’m furious is an understatement. It’s like they’re flying a bus and just keep delaying to take on more passengers.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto