Sunwing Airlines

"Avoid this company at all cost"

Not Verified | We use Sunwing for all inclusive in Cancun of 7 days. We lost 1 day because of Sunwing. First flight was a 8h30 in the morning, the send us one email few hours before that the flight is delayed at 21h, for a mechanic problem. We were already at the airport. We had to fight only to get taxi voucher. Came back, did all the check in and security. At 20h30, they put on the screen of the airport that the flight was delayed to 6h in the morning the next day. Again, we had the argue just to know why. The Pilot didn't show up. At least they gave room to everybody. We had ours at midnight, only for a nap and a shower. By the law, they have to give us 500-1000$ of compensation because its there fault. They said it was for safety and don't give any compensation. Avoid this company at all cost.
RouteMontreal to Cancun
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"never again use the airline"

Not Verified | This is the second time I’ve used Sunwing and both time have been a nightmare. Never mind my family and I (7 people) upgraded our seat and spent a additional $700 for this and all we got was a little more legroom. No tv’s no free meal not even a place to charge our own electric’s so we can maintain during our flights. Coming home the flight attends use the front of the planes over heads for their carry ons and we had to store our carry on’s back farther where they were out of sight. All our information, money and ID was out of sight. As my mother tried to tell the few people on the plane they need to store there bags where they were seated. Think they belonged to them. A argument started between my mother and a another passenger. I had to intervene because a women was yelling at my mother. Both flight attendants just watched and said nothing to calm the situation or take responsibility for there baggage. Once we where seated B1 I was told one our way to our destination to store my very small purse under my seat. So knowing that I did the same thing on our way back. A flight attendant told me it is for the people behind me and need to store it in the over head behind me. I did not want to do that and wasn’t what I did on the way to our destination. She then gave me a hard time. So as I waiting for people to take there seats so I could put in the over head she stood there giving me dirty looks then started making fun of my nationality which is Canadian. To top this experience off a women who was in a wheel chair who sat beside both ways had to get out the wheelchair herself and go to her seat as the flight attendants watched her. This women needed assistance and they did not give her any. I had to help the woman put on her seat belt and help her through the flight. The flight attendants seen this and yet still did nothing. Also they gave her the same issues about her purse as well. The flight attendant finally said she would store both purses in the emergency over head above us. The woman then asked the flight attendant for help with the AC which I tried to help but the AC wasn’t blowing strong enough. The flight attendant said she would get her ice water but never did. This experience was unbelievable and I will never again use the airline. We spent almost $2000 per person x’s 7 and this is how we are treated.
RouteCosta Rica to Canada
Date FlownJuly 2022

"I had to pay for the baggage again"

Trip Verified | I had paid for my baggage over the phone (i have my credit card charged) but they never entered it in their system and I had to pay for the baggage again. Now I'll have to spend time to dispute it and may not get refund. It appears Canada does not have a decent airline. I try to avoid traveling as much as possible
RouteToronto to St. John's
Date FlownAugust 2022

"they have the gall to ask me to pay extra"

Not Verified | Changed my flight from 8pm to a flight at 10.30pm from Lynx Air (Not even the same airline, by the way!). Not only do I now have to work with landing in my destination at 1.30 am, Lynx doesn't offer carry-on baggage (which I paid for with Sunwing!). Then they have the gall to ask me to pay extra in order to switch back to my original flight. Uh, no. I already paid for that. Same goes for the carry-on. 0 compensation for that as well. Disappointing.
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Everything went just fine"

Trip Verified | Despite the risks and bad feedback, my wife and me decided to take the Sunwing trip package to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria. Everything went just fine! Check-in at Toronto airport was quick. There were no long lines as we expected. The aircraft WG302 flew out on schedule. We booked seats in advance through the Sunwing website. But there were still empty seats, the plane was not full. Great service! It was possible to take drinks and various snacks during a 3-hour flight. No quibbles about masks. Baggage at the airport was issued quickly, no delays. The return flight was also hassle-free. Although the plane was flied 1 hour late from Toronto, they stopped less in Santa Clara Airport and cut the gap to 30 minutes when we landed in Toronto. In Pearson Airport we also got our luggage fast at 2 am and passed through all the checkouts. Thanks a lot to the Sunwing team for a great vacation!
RouteToronto to Santa Clara
Date FlownJune 2022

"Never will book another flight with this airline"

Not Verified | Terrible service, we booked a 5 day trip , we paid for it, they called us one day before the trip and informed us our flight at 7 am has delayed to 9:00 pm, now we would arrive at Punta Cana 2 am at night. So lost a day that I have paid for it and have medical conditions that cant stay up that late. Never will book another flight with this airline.
RouteToronto to Punta Cana
Date FlownMay 2022

"there were issues with Sunwing flights"

Trip Verified | We went on vacation in an all inclusive trip to Jamaica from April 11 - April 18 2022, well with the flight delays it was more like no sleep and April 19 2022. The resort was the worst one I have ever been at, the people were rude, the Sunwing rep onsite was never available to talk to. When flights were delayed, no one informed us, it was only after missing the pickup time and panicking with a family of 5 that we found out there were issues with Sunwing flights. This costed us meals, stress and a day of work. I am so upset. There is so much more but this is the surface issues.
RouteMontego Bay to Calgary
Date FlownApril 2022

"rescheduled our flight 8 times"

Not Verified | They have rescheduled our flight 8 times. We have small children and a baby and they have had such poor communication. We are running low on diapers and formula. They never respond. Terrible customer service.
RouteToronto to Punta Cana
Date FlownApril 2022

"A little training badly needed"

Not Verified | Toronto to Cayo Santa Maria. My husband and I along with another couple booked an all inclusive vacation through Sunwing to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria Cuba. First I must say that the resort was perfect in every way! Beautiful, clean resort with a stunning beach. The best part was their world-class customer service. The staff upon our arrival were so welcoming and it didn’t stop for the entire week. Very friendly, helpful and genuinely cared, wanted to help and be there for anything we needed. Very impressive. Sunwing on the other hand could certainly learn much from the Royalton staff. At the airport, on the plane and on the ground when we arrived in Cuba Sunwing staff kind of made us feel like they would be having a good day if it wasn’t for their pesky customers bothering them! A little training on customer service and how to provide it would go a long way and is badly needed at Sunwing!
RouteToronto to Cayo Santa Maria
Date FlownApril 2022

"This was not the most relaxing start to our vacation"

Trip Verified | Indifferent management sours the experience! That old saying about one bad apple spoiling the bushel really applies to Sunwing. The ground and flight crews were wonderful: friendly, helpful, good sense of humour, professional...top notch. The same holds true for the in-destination reps and shuttle providers. All very pro and we thank you very much! The sour taste in my mouth comes from management - or lack thereof. I purchased my travel package online and paid for it in full at the time of booking. 2 days before my departure, I logged in to get my e-docs and was informed (by automated pop-up message) that I had a balance owing on my invoice and that my trip could be cancelled if I didn't settle my account. I immediately called Sunwing customer service. The service rep initially argued with me until I forwarded her my confirmation email from Sunwing showing the balance paid in full (yes, I keep everything). It took one hour and fourteen minutes on hold to resolve the discrepancy. Perhaps they were hoping I would simply give up and pay the difference of $140? This was not the most relaxing start to our vacation. Once I received written confirmation of the correction, I thanked the rep for her help and asked to speak to a manager. The manager was "on lunch" so I asked for a call back. 5 hours later, I had still not heard back so I emailed the original rep again. 2 weeks later, I have still heard nothing. No explanation for the arbitrary price hike, no offer of compensation for my inconvenience, no apology for the rep's initial antagonistic attitude or for my wasted time on hold while they corrected their own error. Nothing. I promise to update this review if I ever hear back from Sunwing. I don't really expect to. What a sad excuse for "service".
RouteToronto, Canada to Santa Clara, Cuba