Sunwing Airlines

"Who wants to deal with Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | Flight WG410 on October 8th from Toronto to Puerto Plata. After 2.5 hours in the air, the captain announced that the plane is needing repair and we are going back to Toronto. The return time will be 1.5 hours. The plane was old (still with ashtrays) and with uncomfortable seats. So, instead to continue the flight to Dominican which was 1.5 hours away too, they decided to go back to Toronto. After returning to Toronto and spending 3 hours in the airport, they send us back on the same plane to Puerto Plata. We arrived to the resort at 10 pm instead of 2 pm. For all this problems, they gave a $20 voucher for the food in Toronto and $100 for the next vacation or excursion with Sunwing. Who wants to deal with Sunwing again after this? After the vacation, I sent the official complain to Sunwing and after 4 days, I still did not get any reply nor acknowledgment from them.
RouteToronto to Puerto Plata

"Worst seats ever"

Not Verified | Bucket of bolts old 737! Five hour flights each way. Worst seats ever had as too worn out and uncomfortable! Coffee was cold and tasteless. Ran out of coffee eventually! Staff good. Good flight and on time as to the travel portion.
RouteToronto to Antigua
Date FlownOctober 2019

"They were actually removing bags off the plane"

Trip Verified | Sunwing holiday Sept 17 to Sept 24, 2019. The scheduled departure time was 3.40 pm. About 15 minutes before boarding, it was decided to weigh every passenger before boarding. Once without the carry-on and then again with the carry-on. This process must have taken well over an hour past departure time. Then we were told that they needed to rearrange the bags in the cargo section. They were actually removing bags off the plane. We were quite nervous as both our bags were removed on a previous Sunwing flight. We finally took off around 5.15 pm. The purchased food service started from the front of the plane. We were seated in row 10. They ran out of our choices by the time they came to us. Holguin. By the time we arrived in Holguin, it was pitch dark and we would be driving for over an hour to get to our hotel. We drove in total darkness for over an hour and got to out hotel just before midnight. Our travel agent had given us the heads up about this and at the time we did not think much about this. My heart goes out to the passengers who had to go on to Cayo Coco. I would advise elderly passengers and those with children to stay away from this flight.
RouteToronto to Holguin
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Awful customer service"

Not Verified | Calgary to Varadero. First time flying with Sunwing, woke up at 4:20am anticipating our departure was at 8:50am, Sunwing delayed our departure time to 11:40am, a three hour delay, ridiculous. Won't be flying with them ever again. Awful customer service also.
RouteCalgary to Varadero
Date FlownOctober 2019

"never again on this truly terrible airline"

Not Verified | Calgary to Varadero with Sunwing Airlines. The outbound flight included a wedding party who were already drunk when boarding. The flight crew continued to endlessly sell them alcohol through the flight. This group was ignorant, disruptive, and swore endlessly. We were lucky they were not in our hotel. On the return sure enough there they were, same behaviour. We were over 3 hours late leaving, but then the plane had to turn back from the taxiway to eject 2 of these passengers. This was the only time the crew actually did something resembling their job. We always fly WestJet, but they don’t go direct to Varadero. Needless to say, never again on this truly terrible airline.
RouteCalgary to Varadero
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"They change the flight times"

Not Verified | Saskatoon to Varadero. I am complaining about my up coming trip in November. That have no consideration about people that have to have flight transfers. They change the flight times whenever they want. Know I had to pay extra for. New flight back to Saskatoon since I’m flying out of Toronto. Also I never had to pay for hotel rooms on the way there on way back. Now I have to get a room the day before I leave because I’m not leaving at 6:00am now it’s 10:00am. I was to land at 3:15 in afternoon and I had booked my connecting flight back at 9:15. Well so much for that know I have to book a flight the next day because they changed the return time from Cuba till 7 at night. I plan my trips on a budget and now their time change is costing me over my budget.
RouteSaskatoon to Varadero
Date FlownMarch 2019

"disappointed with the services"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Puerto Plata. I am very disappointed with the services that I experienced with Sunwing. Originally my flight was direct and then it was changed 4 different times and now we had to make a drop off and pick up. But before all that we found out last minute that the flight was delayed an hour.. ok fine, so instead of leaving at 11am we are leaving at 12pm. at the airport it was very unorganized, no one knew what was going on and it was now 12:20pm i had to ask a sunwing rep what was going on and she didnt have an answer she said that they dont even know whats going on. So now 12:30 they start boarding, but not kids and elders first. Just everyone go in and find your seat.. when i got in there was a couple sitting in my seat. They told me that they are sitting there because other people were in there seats. So i had to sit anywhere and put my luggage far away because all cabins near my seat were full. it was so unorganized and people putting their luggage anywhere flight attendants asking people to sit somewhere else so that the families of 3 can sit together.. that alone delayed us from leaving sooner. Now we left and arrived in punta cana and i was able to get my luggage and move it to my original seat. But now some people who boarded the plane had others in their seats. We ended up sitting in the plane for roughly 2 hours , it was freezing and finally they shut off the A/C. i didnt want to sleep and not know what was going on so i tried to stay up.. it was only until an hour and half they started serving warm water to us. And then there was an announcement that the airplane was to heavy with supplies or luggage at the front of the plane so they have to shift it, so i wasnt sure if that was the real reason but that took another 40 mins. At this point im starting to get hungry. Finally sometime after 5pm we were back in the air. We were not giving any complimentary snacks but told we can purchase food but the macaroni and cheese was not an option and why would i want to buy overpriced food after all of that waiting and inconvenience. We didnt get to the airport until 9:30pm.. so ridiculous. The worst service and flying experience.
RouteToronto to Puerto Plata
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Terrible service"

Not Verified | Horrible service. I booked back in march when it was buy one get one 50%, 862$ we booked our airbnb and bought tickets to our anniversary party. In May i get an email telling me Sunwing flight is no longer operating the flight, to call immediately to arrange another day or refund with vouchers for future flights. I called right away the guy was rude - his response no flights, a refund as been issued. I was so upset we lost money on airbnb and our tickets were non refundable, to buy with another airline was now 700 extra and we didnt have it. I contacted customer service, they acted like the email didn't exist that i cancelled the flight myself. Fast forward to now. I have found out Sunwing is indeed operating from St john's to Toronto. When i contacted them again they gave me the run around again saying i cancelled. this company is horrible. People rely on them and they work hard to save. Terrible service.
RouteSt. John's to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2018

"the Sunwing policy is to delay"

Not Verified | Firstly let me say that my wife and I fly a couple of times a year to Cuba and Sunwing is our usual airline of choice. Typically we have no complaints and enjoy the service that Sunwing offers , as they have always been good to us. In saying that we did have an issue on the return trip of our last vacation (departing May 11, 2019 ). Ever since our return I have been in constant contact with Sunwing attempting to receive an explanation to their policy as to the seating of overweight passengers. Now I understand the issue that there are passengers with weight problems and I am sympathetic however this should not be at inconvenience of other passengers. On our flight to Cuba we had no issues. On the bus to the resort there was a very large couple sitting in a row each. That was fine. On our return flight this couple were offered seats in the front row of the plane. We were seated in Row 2. The husband was assigned the aisle seat and the wife assigned the aisle seat opposite. For some reason she could be sit in this oversize seat. The stewardess asked if anybody wanted to switch seats with her and the tiny woman in the aisle seat next to me said sure (and I don't blame her ). Long story short the wife sat next to me and I was basically left with half seat for the trip home. Extremely uncomfortable to say the least. Since returning I have been in constant contact with Sunwing for a explanation and policy in the seating of obese passengers and the effect on other fare paying passengers. I have received 3 replies from Sunwing . All very apologetic but saying nothing that they will look into it and get back to me. I think the Sunwing policy is to delay, delay, delay till the complainant gives up. Any thoughts as to what I do to get them to respond?
RouteToronto to Cayo Santa Maria
Date FlownMay 2019

"The worst airlines I’ve been on"

Not Verified | Toronto to Punta Cana. The worst airlines I’ve been on. They tell us after we boarded the plane that they are having problems with the ac. From a 12 hr delay we have been sitting on the plane making it another 2 hours. We not only had a bad flight there, but we missed a day and a half of our trip due to Sunwing's unprofessional aircraft with no compensation. It would have been cheaper to book a 6 day trip yet we paid full and didn’t get our money’s worth. 200$ voucher is ridiculous. For such an inconvenience of a short notice delay to an extended delay they should compensate us fully with a refund, policy aside. I felt bad for the elderly in our plane. Never again.
RouteToronto to Punta Cana