SriLankan Airlines

"Avoid if travelling with family"

Trip Verified | Travelled with my 18month old. I had purchased an extra ticket considering it was a long haul flight. Trip back was hell. Her seat go taken away stating she is under 2 and does not require a seat. That got given to another family with a baby, who didn't pay for the seat. Then they decided to allocate seats for my wife and daughter away from me. I was seated 2 rows behind. I had already paid extra for seats together so how the hell can it be removed and given to someone else. Worst part was that for 11.5 hrs, there was no food provided for my daughter. I had to go back to cabin assistance and ask for baby food. Considering that I had called 4 days in advance and advised that I will have a toddler so please allocate meals accordingly. Both legs of the long haul, we did not have food for our daughter. Avoid this airline at all cost if you travelling with family, even if you get a free ticket. Trust me, you'll be better off not travelling with them.
RouteBengaluru to Sydney via Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"the cabin lights didn't dim"

(Kuwait)

Not Verified | I was very tired and i was expecting to sleep during the flight, unfortunately i can't sleep because the cabin lights didn't dim throughout the flight and the cabin crew selling the alcohol in the middle of the flight which is very noisy. Also passengers keep gathering and talking in very loud voice. 1 hour before landing i was felt so thirsty and I contact the cabin crew from my seat more than 5 times, but no one approached me till we landing.
RouteKuwait to Jakarta via Colombo
Date FlownOctober 2022

"I am disappointed with service"

Trip Verified | I am disappointed with service provided on flight UL503 from Colombo to London (LHR). Our family, myself, my wife, and two our kids have been seated on seats 21D, 21E, 21G, and 21F. Our kids has been seated on 21G, and 21F. When breakfast/lunch serving started, first has been served all kids except our ones. Our kids has been ignored by Cabin Crew, who was serving right hand aisle (i.e. seats 21G, and 21F). When I saw, that right hand aisle cabin crew started to serve adult, I drew the attention of the cabin crew serving the left hand side aisle, that my kids has been ignored. Left hand side aisle cabin crew served my kids immediately. When cabin crew started to serve beverages, my kids again has been ignored by Cabin Crew, who was serving right hand aisle. Then I stand and draw their attention, why they continue ignoring my kids, and serve only rows in front and behind us. They apologise and served my kids with a beverages. Such attitude is unacceptable. Staff on flight UL503 has been unpleased, unpolite, inattentive, careless. Another issue was with In-Flight Entertainment System. Seats 21D, 21E had non-functioning IFE system. I informed about that Cabin Crew several times, they only restarted screens, what doesn’t solve the problem. I said to the Cabin Crew that this action doesn’t help, as I did it many times, and monitors still do not functioning as it should be. They promise to restart IFE on whole 21 row from their side. However it never happened, as well as their promises to relocate us on the seats with working IFE system, as per cabin crew information, they had an empty seats available on that flight. I couldn’t expect such attitude from the cabin crew.
RouteColombo to London

"seats were comfortable"

Trip Verified | Departure from LHR T3. Quick check in. Fast track a little slow. Sri Lankan use Cathy Pacific lounge which was excellent. Good fresh food, excellent showers and comfortable seating. Departure delayed by 45 minutes. This flight has a tight connection time so this was a concern. In flight all good, seats were comfortable and food good. Entertainment was sound. All FAs were very attentive. Flight made up much of delay en route. Connecting flight was held, all ok
RouteLondon to Male via Colombo
Date FlownOctober 2022

"Never travel with this untrustworthy airline"

Trip Verified | Never travel with this untrustworthy airline. We have been lied to and deceived by this company. They owe us money and refuse to respond. Our flight times were changed and strangely the arrival time of our connection was 10 minutes later than the departure time of that connection (obviously we were worried). In a rushed phone call 2 days before they told us we had no option but to accept this change (and an extra stopover in India for fuel). We were promised that the plane would be waiting - it did not. In fact, we checked all the flight tracking websites. They only needed to wait 7 minutes to save us 10 more hours! Not only were we unbelievably late. We were stripped of our boarding passes, sent to a different destination with no explanation of what to do from there and given no food/ drink compensation. There were code shares they could have given us and chose to rerouted us instead. Honestly pathetic actions in the first place but more over just shameless to never respond.
RouteSydney to Frankfurt via Colombo
Date FlownJuly 2022

"the booking was deleted/cancelled"

Trip Verified | My self and family came on holiday from Canada to Sri Lanka on 24th July 2022 and were scheduled to fly back on Sri Lankan to LHR on 19th August and via Air Canada AC0863 to Vancouver. I received below mail from Sri Lankan on August 10th “Dear Passenger, SriLankan Airlines regrets to inform the schedule change on UL505/19AUG. Your flight will depart CMB 0720Hrs/19AUG and arrive in LHR 1535Hrs/19AUG" On receipt of the mail, I immediately spoke to my agent in Canada who issued the tickets and was advised that Sri Lankan needs to provide me an alternative solution since this was not factored in the ticket and delay is from the Sri Lanka sector. My wife and I visited the Sri Lankan office at the World Trade Centre at 9.30am on 12th August, to reschedule my flight since I do not have sufficient time for the connecting flight from LHR (0.35mnts). I was told by the agent the delay is due to re-fueling in COK. I was assisted by a trainee staff member who was not knowledgeable and understanding her position. She said cannot help me and since the ticket was issued in Canada and there are no seats in any of the SriLankan flights, it needs to be rescheduled in Canada. Subsequently I spoke to the Air Canada office in SL and they too advised that Sri Lankan needs to reschedule my flight. At this point of time another agent came to the rescue of the trainee agent and stated that I was supposed to come within 24hrs of receiving the mail. We stated that the mail does not specify this requirement. Moreover, the next day of receiving the mail was a holiday in Sri Lanka. She was so arrogant and argumentative the way she spoke to us. The agent said she will try to get four seats on the 18th flight however we need to get the tickets issued within one hour. I said it is around 2.00am in Canada. I need to speak to my agent in the morning. She was not willing to accommodate, with no choice I had to wake my agent and speak, he said that he needs to check with Air Canada office in the morning and agent spoke to the agent in our presence and requested to hold the booking for 24hrs which she did not agree and said the system will automatically cancel the booking after one hour. My agent spoke to the Air Canada 24hrs helpline and they also said the tickets can be issued only once the office is opened in the morning. I was left with no choice, no alternative given, they instructed me to call the SriLankan call centre on 1979 every hour and confirm the booking, which was not practical at all. I tried calling the given no and had to wait on hold for a minimum of 45minutes, spoke to an agent and then another 30 mins to get it confirmed. When I called the second hour at the same wait time and when I spoke to an agent the booking was deleted/cancelled and I was not able to use the ticket to fly back.
RouteColombo to London
Date FlownAugust 2022

"The worst nightmare ever"

(Oman)

Not Verified | The worst nightmare ever. Flown many times before but this is the worst flight in my entire life. I have traveled from Muscat to Colombo and Colombo to Muscat and in both the times food was terrible and boarding place was an utter mess. Nobody was there to control the transit passengers. And airline officials didn’t help much controlling crowds. Inside the air plane no Air conditioning. Flight was horribly hot
RouteMuscat to Colombo
Date FlownAugust 2022

"What a joke of an airline"

Trip Verified | What a joke of an airline. Avoid at all costs! I booked a flight from London to Melbourne via Colombo for November 2022. Before booking, I've noticed there is a 11hr 55minute transit in Colombo. I've called their call centre and they re-assured me that a transit hotel will be provided, and for me to make the booking on their website and call them back. I've made the booking and called them. After a very long wait, the agent bluntly said, since your transit was less than 12hrs, we won't be able to provide transit accommodation. He further said the policy was changed from 8hrs to 12hrs recently and I need to adhere to the new policy. I've tried to convince him that there are many good airlines that fly the route but I've booked this after confirming with his colleague. He just said it would have been a mistake and I will have to just wait 11hrs 55 minutes at the transit area of a 3rd world airport! I've asked whether I can cancel the booking as it was booked under false pretense, but he said it will incur a financial penalty, with absolutely no empathy or common sense towards a (very expensive) paying customer! I would stay away from this joke of an airline, as legendary hospitality seems to be the last in their agendas!
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Colombo
Date FlownNovember 2021

"apathy and terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight for November in July. Booked seats, meals, baggage insurance et all. There were non existent choices for food but a 16 hour flight required some nourishment so we made do. It’s a specific visit for a day - for a wedding. A very long distance and time required for such a short visit. But one that can’t be avoided. So I book the flight and book other requirements like taxis, hotels, meals etc. including hair dresser etc cause I have that little time. And they cancel the flight 2 plus weeks later. I was offered a flight the next day. The same time in the night. After the wedding is over. Makes no sense. I explained that and was told I will get a full refund. I scramble around and find another flight an hour later than this was to depart, pay more of it and ask for a refund for the one cancelled by the airline. 12 days now. Nothing. No refund. No response. I’m going bonkers calling a pathetic call centre. There is no customer service. There is zero empathy. Zero understanding of the situation and no refund for a flight that I didn’t cancel the airline did. And forced me to pay more to get another ticket for the same day. It’s a clear situation. They cancelled the flight. And we don’t have an option to go later. It’s not a leisure visit. It’s an event. Never ever going to use this airline ever again no matter the situation or what they offer. This is the first time I have ever come across such apathy and terrible customer service. Such a complete failure of a service provider.
RouteSydney to Delhi via Colombo
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Overall my worst experience"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Customer service representatives in call centers do not even know what customer service is, a horrible experience. It's a nightmare to deal with those representatives and their communication skills are very poor. Airport check-in service was slow as hell. It took more than 30 mins to checked-in the customer in front of me. Departure was delayed by more than 30 mins, with no explanation/ apology to customers (customer service at its best). Fuel stop in India hence delayed the flight duration by more than an hour. Dinner was served while the seat belt indication is ON and at the time flight was not stable (bumpy) at all. If the cabin crew had a little bit of common sense they could have delayed it and served it a bit later. Multimedia system only worked for 2 hours (out of 14 hours) of flight time. Overall my worst experience with a commercial airline so far & It was my first and last time with Sri Lankan Airlines, thank you for providing me worst possible experience!
RouteColombo to Auckland via Melbourne