SriLankan Airlines

"is a bit of a mixed bag"

Trip Verified | London to Colombo. I have to say, this airline is a bit of a mixed bag. I found out I was pregnant shortly before we flew, so we tried to call their customer service desk to ensure I had an aisle seat and ideally a bit of extra space. However, customer service were of no help at all and said we could only do this upon check in. So we wait until check in opens, and it would not let us change our seats even though we could see seats available. So again we call customer services, and again they say there is nothing they can do. So we decide to arrive at the airport 4 hours early to speak to someone at the desk, where AGAIN they say there is nothing they can do. I personally think this is an awful way to treat someone pregnant when going on a long haul flight. Our flight out was a night flight, and we were pleasantly surprised with the amount of leg room. My partner is 6ft 2 and said it was one of the more spacious flights he had been on. The food, however, not so good. When they got to us all they had was the fish option left, to which my partner hates fish so he did not eat and went hungry. On the return flight we managed to assign ourselves seats with extra leg room so my partner was very happy. It made for a very comfortable flight, and as we were near the air stewards, we got first choice of food this time which was tasty and actually warm!
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownMarch 2019

"A321 a huge disappointment"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Dubai to Jakarta via Colombo on A321s. Check-in online 2 days prior to departure went smoothly and my print-outed BPs were accepted in Dubai (by emigration and lounge). Equipment downgrade to A321 narrow body was a huge disappointment (no lie flat, etc.). Lounge used in Dubai have been downgraded from the luxurious Ahlan Business Lounge to the much poorer and overcrowded, messy Marhaba. The latter was so crowded that I had to escape to the BA Executive Lounge, opposite, which was quiet and nice. Flights faultless and only slightly delayed. The Narrow bodies had no lie flat beds and the cabins hold only 16 seats in business. Flights ¾ full only. No amenity kits nor pyjamas were given. Menus and menu cards fine, food very good, poor beer selection, wines average. The FAs hospitality is great, they are well groomed, well-rested, pro-active, flirtatious, humble, and kind. STPC in Colombo functioned well but precious time consumed to leave the airport (queued 6 times: transit counter (to get voucher), visa on arrival, immigration, baggage pick-up, bus-transfer. Likewise on way back from town to Airport. Colombo Airport is messy and many procedures are slow or unclear. I had a serious luggage issue as they had double checked in a bag of mine and only to half of the routing. Found it by incident in CMB left at conveyor belt despite it was promised by 3rd party check-in staff in DXB to go to “at least CGK” (I had 4 legs more on other flights after this one). Mileage earned were generous and were inserted correctly on my BA FFP pgm. Despite they tend to be my present favorite airline, I can only rate them 7 of 10 at this time. IFE was OK. Ticket was cheap due to promotion, purchased 300 days prior to departure. For tickets over 700 USD and with transit more than 8 hours they provide STPC in a decent Hotel in Colombo which is a relief.
RouteDubai to Jakarta via Colombo
Date FlownMarch 2019

"good food served"

Not Verified | London to Colombo. Excellent service and good food served with metal cutlery. Clean toilet. Good range of inflight entertainment. Plastic (drinking cups) waste could be cut down.
AircraftA330-300
RouteLondon to Colombo

"my whole bag was wet"

(Bangladesh)

Trip Verified | Dubai to Dhaka via Colombo. However seat with good pitch but not comfortable for sleep. Food was delicious and attentive crew. In-flight entertainment was unmentionable. My horrible experience was started when I came to conveyor belt, my bag came after 45 minutes of flight embarked to the gate and I found my whole bag was wet and all stuff inside was wet as well. I open a bag in front of Airline Staff and asked for written complaint. He showed, he was so busy and not authorized to take complaint. He informed his superior and told for wait a bit, I waited for another half an hour but no one has been came to attend to me.
AircraftA330-200
RouteDubai to Dhaka via Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"staff were polite and kind"

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Madurai via Colombo. The food quality was amazing, staff were polite and kind, transit was easy and quick. I recommend this airline if you are travelling to southern parts of India from some other country.
RouteRiyadh to Madurai via Colombo

"An amazing crew"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Colombo to Dubai. An amazing crew on UL225 on 8Feb, for me they made the flight one of the best I've flown for the last couple of years.
AircraftA330-200
RouteColombo to Dubai
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Food not up to expectations"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Colombo with SriLankan Airlines. Good Service from the Cabin Crew. Airline on time but delayed due to passengers which is not the fault of the airline. Airline seat spacing was too close. The seat I was occupying was damaged and had a jagged opening. This was complained to the cabin crew by the passenger next to me but nothing was done about it. Food not up to expectations. This sector did not have In flight entertainment.
RouteMumbai to Colombo

"service was impeccable"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Colombo. I haven't flown with SriLankan since the early 2000s due to extremely bad delays and appalling service. I thought of trying them after this long assuming they've changed and it was convenient to fly direct to Colombo from Melbourne. To my surprise, the cabin crew were friendly and attentive. The service was impeccable. The food was delicious with so many different food. Loved the tea service on board. The entertainment system and the seat weren't that great on the CMB-MEL sector. MEL-CMB was an A330-300. The seat was very good on that particular flight but the return flight's seat wasn't good. The cabin crew personally welcomed me at the beginning of the flight and thanked me at the end of the flight. The cabin was clean. I will fly with SriLankan again.
RouteMelbourne to Colombo
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"really surprised"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Singapore - really surprised. Whilst the checkin at Colombo is very average (dirty carpets at business class, long queues, unkempt staff) onboard is much better. The crew were nice and the big TVs in economy are great. I had not flown with SriLankan in over 10 years and wouldn’t hesitate booking them again. A few things though, get newer movies and retire the old A330. The A320 was much nicer.
RouteColombo to Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Bankrupt, badly run airline."

Trip Verified | London to Kuala Lumpur via Colombo. Was scheduled to fly in seats 10 A, 10C on the leg of the flight from Colombo to Kuala Lumpur on 7th Jan 2018. Arrived at Colombo after a 11 hr flight from London, after a scheduled wait of some 2.5 hrs checked into the flight from Colombo to KUL only to be told in a brusque manner by ground staff that we would be at the back of the aircraft in spite of us having pre booked window and aisle seats. Our new seating was in the middle and aisle. Moreover we were asked to check in our hand baggage as this was a smaller A320 aircraft. Others were allowed to take their larger hand baggage onboard. The same situation regarding seat switching happened on the return journey JUL to CMB ON the 12th of Jan. Service was without smiles on both occasions. Bankrupt, badly run airline. As a frequent flyer I would not be travelling the LHR CMB sector with them again. There are much better alternatives albeit slightly more expensive ones.
RouteLondon to Kuala Lumpur via Colombo