SriLankan Airlines

"they will play you like a piece of baggage"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience flying with Sri Lankan. They delayed my flight by 8 hours at Male, and then again by 7 hours in Colombo. All this time seats were available with other airlines but they refused to transfer us. My wife and I slept on the cold airport floor since none of the airport lounges had any vacancies and we were afraid to enter SriLanka (riots are going on). SriLankan Airlines staff were explicitly rude and hostile. They lacked basic communication skills and wouldn't even maintain eye contact. They were extremely unprofessional, not only with their work but their attitude as well. Several passengers, especially the elderly and families with young children struggled a lot, and they were given a meal coupon (as a pacifier). Cabin crew however were polite and warm during the flight, which is their only saving grace. The airline is very cheap, yes. But they will play you like a piece of baggage. Don't travel with them.
RouteMale to Chennai via Colombo
Date FlownMay 2022

"getting support from their teams is absolutely impossible"

Trip Verified | I took my parents to the Maldives as a special gift, and upgraded the return flights to business class as a final surprise. During this upgrade process, Sri Lankan Airlines suggested I apply for a tax refund. I did this, but the airlines mixed up this refund request and cancelled our return tickets instead. We were stranded, and had to find additional accommodation and flights to return home, with no support from Sri Lankan Airlines. I understand there was some misunderstanding and was only seeking a refund for the flights that we couldn't take due to this error, but getting support from their teams is absolutely impossible. Despite phone calls and personal visits to their office, they insist they can only respond to queries via emails. Their team's response to emails is not only painfully slow but also never addressing the actual query. As a result, I am looking $1,300 worth of tickets being lost with the airlines taking no accountability. It's clear that their support model is designed to leave the interaction as one-sided with the customer having no room to have a real conversation, or receive any support that doesn't fit into their basic transactions.
RouteKochi to Male via Colombo
Date FlownMay 2022

"still waiting for a refund"

Trip Verified | Booked business class tickets to India based on the cheap fares they offered. Clearly, there was a reason as to why the fares were cheap. The entertainment system wouldn't work and the seat lost power during the flight. The flight from Colombo to Kochi broke down and we had to wait in the flight for two hours whilst the engineers fixed the engine. I have no complaints about individual staff, who were all courteous. I then cancelled my return tickets as I didn't want to fly Sri Lankan again. The cancellation was made through their office in India in December. I am still waiting for a refund, even though it's been 3 months. Have sent multiple e-mails to their reservation office with no response either. Will never fly Sri Lankan again and I would recommend that you use one of the other airlines flying to India.
RouteSydney to Kochi via Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2021

"don't have words how frustrated I am"

Trip Verified | I flew with SriLankan Airlines Airlines from Sydney to Delhi and there was a transit at Colombo for 5 hours. At first when they started providing the food for being vegetarian myself I selected veg food before boarding the flight but they gave me some terrible food both the times. After we arrived at Colombo upon checking there is a transit time increased to 8.5 hours which was 5 hours when I booked. I am regretting why I have booked. This is last time in my life I flew or came to Sri Lanka. I don't have words how frustrated I am.
RouteSydney to Delhi via Colombo
Date FlownMarch 2022

"sleep-deprived and really angry"

Trip Verified | Booked for a journey from Sydney to Colombo. The flight arrived late in Sydney. They started boarding passengers at 10:30 PM. Since the airport has a curfew from 11 PM, they couldn't fly. Passengers were deplaned by 12 AM. Srilankan staff was available in counters on the departure level. They took our name and told us there would be a bus that would take us to a hotel. Waited till 3 AM to get a bus to a hotel with a sleeping baby. Once at the hotel, there was a queue to check-in and it took another hour to get the room. That morning, we got a note saying that a bus will take us to the airport at 10 AM. Once at the airport, there was another queue to check in again. That took us 3 hours. we were issued a boarding pass for a 2:05 PM departure from Sydney and a transit time of 12 hours in colombo. Once we reached the gate in Sydney, they told us there is a delay as the crew is late. Once they arrived, the delay was to clean the aircraft. Once cleaning is done, they told me they have called the caterer and food is causing the next delay. But then, passengers were getting frustrated. They were demanding answers. Instead of answers, law enforcement officers were called in by the ground staff. Finally boarded by 4:30 PM. Once we reached Colombo by 8 PM, they started blaming the weather and passengers had to wait for another 1.5 hours to deplane. We finally got out by 9:30 PM. Went to the transfer desk and without informing the people who were in the queue, they pasted a sticker with the flight number of Kochi where they were serving business class passengers. Total mess and another waiting saga. Finally, accommodation is arranged by 12 AM and taken to hotels by 12:30 AM. The hotel reception told me that the bus would be there by 4:45 AM. Flight from Colombo to Kochi was on time and we did not encounter any issues Chaos and confusion is the only thing that comes to my mind when I think of this nightmare. At the end of the journey, all of us are sleep-deprived and really angry. We will surely avoid this airline for future travels (except the one that is already paid for)
RouteSydney to Kochi via Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"Client service is practically non-existent"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | Horrible. Client service is practically non-existent. After one of my flights was cancelled, they put me on another flight which left 30 hours earlier, leaving me with 32 hours between my flights. Tried to contact Sri Lankan Airlines for 2 weeks, but only Facebook Messenger replied, and they couldn't help me. Contacted their phone number in Belgium and in The Netherlands, but none of them could help me. Wasted €30 calling to Colombo to stand in the waiting line for over 10 minutes. Finally, just 1.5 days before I was going to fly (and after stalking them on Facebook Messenger), they contacted me and rescheduled my second flight, so I left one day earlier than planned. On board, entertainment wasn't working at first, then, once it "worked", you couldn't watch a film because it froze all the time. Will never fly with them again.
RouteBrussels to London via Colombo
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"a terrible experience"

Trip Verified | Refunds via a 24 hour cancellation service on SriLankan Airlines is a terrible experience. Its supposed to get refunded in 14 working days as per the policy however I have been waiting 2 months for a refund. There is no central number or person you can call to get to the bottom of the issue and the call centres are staffed with people who will pass you to another department. In the end, its just emails to various depts, bookings, customer affairs ..so on without any hope of getting a response or your money back. Be warned ... the experience you are likely to encounter is terrible. We booked with Singapore Airlines at the same time as the ticket onSriLankan Airlines and had to cancel both flights due to covid restrictions in India. The Singapore Airline refund was promptly received while SriLankan Airlines is at best a basket case .
RouteSydney to Bangalore via Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2021

"SriLankan have no concept of customer service"

Not Verified | Poor service. Dirty plane. Awful food. Cabin crew were good. SriLankan have no concept of customer service. On return flight changed my flight to a stopping flight without consulting me. If I wanted a stopping flight I would have gone Qatar. Cheaper and much better. Will never fly with them again. I travel to SL at least 5 times a year.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"very poor quality service"

Trip Verified | The Flight was delayed and the SriLankan Airlines staff at the Melbourne airport are very rude and very poor customer service. The entertainment system was not working during the entire hour flight. Flight toilets are very dirty and the inflight staff do not do anything to keep them hygienic the entire 15 hours of flight time, especially in this pandemic (Covid 19) time. The food is terrible and did not have any options (since they ran out of what is in the menu) and was told to eat what was given. Thousands of dollars paid for the flight was such a waste of money and you will easily catch any kind of disease (not just covid 19) in those flights because of the very poor quality service standards.
RouteMelbourne to Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2021

"It was a horrible experience"

Trip Verified | I travelled to Sydney via the Australian Federal government-approved pilot program from Trivandrum-Colombo-Sydney. Our travel was not a good experience. They were out of vegetarian food for breakfast and the other soya chunks given was stale and also, the paratha was rock solid and I had no food to eat, I am a vegetarian and I had nothing to eat on my journey. I was ready to pay for the food but they didn't have any on the service menu and also they were out of the veg meal like I mentioned earlier, despite them taking our food preferences beforehand, this is really terrible and I have never experienced something like this. Moreover, our entertainment system was dysfunctional- mine and the one who was sitting next to me and some others but at least their headsets worked and mine didn't. We could not watch anything and when I tried, the movie was jumping to the end, I hardly watched for seven minutes, several rebooting was done but to no avail. To top it all, they were out of water bottles too. I don't consume alcohol, so while the others substituted that for water, I did not have any. It was a horrible experience and despite paying a lump sum, there were no basic resources that an airline promises.
RouteTrivandrum to Sydney via Colombo