SriLankan Airlines

"a terrible experience"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Chennai. We booked a business class ticket and was given an economy class ticket, when asked at the business class custom care desk in Colombo they replied with an attitude, if you're down graded ask for a refund from your agent. This was a rude way of answer. And they even replied "the flight didn't have a business class on the aircraft" On entering the aircraft we were shocked and, asked the air hostess for a reason and they asked us to go and find out from the ground staff. This is a terrible experience and I will never travel in this airline again.
RouteColombo to Chennai
Date FlownMay 2019

"pleasant staff and decent food"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Doha. This is the second segment of my flight from Jakarta to Doha, transiting through Colombo. The reason I break it to 2 reviews because of different aircraft types and ground service experience. This A330-300 was equipped with reverse herringbone 1-2-1 seat configuration, generally my favorite as a solo traveler. However, the seat cushion was not as comfortable as on the earlier A330-200. Boarding was a bit less than ideal. CMB has security checkpoints right before the holding room at departure gates, which was a norm at many other airports. However, despite of a sign noting that business class passengers got priority screening, there was no dedicated line, and everyone was trying to squeeze through a narrow doorway to get to the screening machine. The holding room was tight with no WC and not enough seats. In-flight experience was similar to the CGK-CMB flight, meaning pleasant staff and decent food. The flight departed on-time. Overall, I'd pick this airline again considering its attractive price.
RouteColombo to Doha
Date FlownApril 2019

"In-flight service was quite pleasant"

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Colombo. I booked SriLankan Airlines due to its attractive price, and that proved to be a good deal. The A330-200 showed it age, with 2-2-2 configuration and worn out seats. However, the seats reclined to a fully-flat bed and were quite comfortable. In-flight service was quite pleasant, and the meal was decent, with all dishes were presented on one tray. SriLankan Airlines provided access to the Plaza Premium Lounge at Jakarta airport, and this was one of my preferred lounges. The flight departed and arrived on time. Overall, I think this was very good value.
AircraftA330-200
RouteJakarta to Colombo
Date FlownApril 2019

"refused to compensate us"

Trip Verified | Sri Lankan refused to compensate us for the flights with their airline they caused us to miss, had to book flight with another airline when our connecting flight was cancelled due to a technical issue. Left us out of pocket well over £1000 and made us wait around the airport to fight amongst locals for help. Eventually refused to help us and would have had us sleep on the floor in an Indian airport. Out of 4 flights booked with Sri Lankan only 1 was successful, didn't get any compensation for the other 3.
RouteColombo to London
Date FlownDecember 2018

"ground staff is very rude"

Trip Verified | Colombo to New Delhi. The ground staff is very rude. I was in the checkin line which was just a normal line. After entertaining few customers the staff refused to give me a boarding pass. I waited for around half an hour in that row and then was refused. They changed the details on the screen, before it was just check in and they suddenly changed it to online check in. I requested them and also told that the screen read just check in and I was guided by their own staff. Ridiculous experience. Also the flight experience is not that great.
RouteColombo to New Delhi
Date FlownApril 2019

"upgraded my ticket free"

(Qatar)

Trip Verified | Doha to Colombo. SriLankan upgraded my ticket free of charge to business class. Cabin crew and were attentive very courteous. Food was delicious. AVOD system is very good. Hope to fly with SriLankan Again
RouteDoha to Colombo
Date FlownApril 2019

"seats are recliner seats"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Colombo. There are 12 seats in business class on the Sri Lankan A320 in a 2-2 layout. The seats are recliner seats in full leather. After boarding was offered champagne and cashew nuts. I had the butter chicken Marsala as the main course and it was delicious. The flight attendant was friendly and attentive. I ordered tea for post-dinner beverage, served on a silver platter with teapot. The entertainment system has an average selection of Hollywood movies for the 3.5 hour flight. There was an extensive selection of Bollywood and Sri Lankan movies. Most of the channels were dedicated to Hindi and Arabic music while the classical selection was limited. There was onboard wifi but I did not use it being such a short flight. For a short regional business class flight, I would rate Sri Lankan Airlines favourably. They could however, improve on their online portal to enable passengers to pre-order economy a la carte meals online rather than having to order through phone. Same for their Serenesiva Transit Hotel where only e-mail or phone reservations are accepted.
AircraftA320 Neo
RouteSingapore to Colombo
Date FlownMarch 2019

"is a bit of a mixed bag"

Trip Verified | London to Colombo. I have to say, this airline is a bit of a mixed bag. I found out I was pregnant shortly before we flew, so we tried to call their customer service desk to ensure I had an aisle seat and ideally a bit of extra space. However, customer service were of no help at all and said we could only do this upon check in. So we wait until check in opens, and it would not let us change our seats even though we could see seats available. So again we call customer services, and again they say there is nothing they can do. So we decide to arrive at the airport 4 hours early to speak to someone at the desk, where AGAIN they say there is nothing they can do. I personally think this is an awful way to treat someone pregnant when going on a long haul flight. Our flight out was a night flight, and we were pleasantly surprised with the amount of leg room. My partner is 6ft 2 and said it was one of the more spacious flights he had been on. The food, however, not so good. When they got to us all they had was the fish option left, to which my partner hates fish so he did not eat and went hungry. On the return flight we managed to assign ourselves seats with extra leg room so my partner was very happy. It made for a very comfortable flight, and as we were near the air stewards, we got first choice of food this time which was tasty and actually warm!
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownMarch 2019

"A321 a huge disappointment"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Dubai to Jakarta via Colombo on A321s. Check-in online 2 days prior to departure went smoothly and my print-outed BPs were accepted in Dubai (by emigration and lounge). Equipment downgrade to A321 narrow body was a huge disappointment (no lie flat, etc.). Lounge used in Dubai have been downgraded from the luxurious Ahlan Business Lounge to the much poorer and overcrowded, messy Marhaba. The latter was so crowded that I had to escape to the BA Executive Lounge, opposite, which was quiet and nice. Flights faultless and only slightly delayed. The Narrow bodies had no lie flat beds and the cabins hold only 16 seats in business. Flights ¾ full only. No amenity kits nor pyjamas were given. Menus and menu cards fine, food very good, poor beer selection, wines average. The FAs hospitality is great, they are well groomed, well-rested, pro-active, flirtatious, humble, and kind. STPC in Colombo functioned well but precious time consumed to leave the airport (queued 6 times: transit counter (to get voucher), visa on arrival, immigration, baggage pick-up, bus-transfer. Likewise on way back from town to Airport. Colombo Airport is messy and many procedures are slow or unclear. I had a serious luggage issue as they had double checked in a bag of mine and only to half of the routing. Found it by incident in CMB left at conveyor belt despite it was promised by 3rd party check-in staff in DXB to go to “at least CGK” (I had 4 legs more on other flights after this one). Mileage earned were generous and were inserted correctly on my BA FFP pgm. Despite they tend to be my present favorite airline, I can only rate them 7 of 10 at this time. IFE was OK. Ticket was cheap due to promotion, purchased 300 days prior to departure. For tickets over 700 USD and with transit more than 8 hours they provide STPC in a decent Hotel in Colombo which is a relief.
RouteDubai to Jakarta via Colombo

"good food served"

Not Verified | London to Colombo. Excellent service and good food served with metal cutlery. Clean toilet. Good range of inflight entertainment. Plastic (drinking cups) waste could be cut down.
RouteLondon to Colombo