SriLankan Airlines

"Bankrupt, badly run airline."

Trip Verified | London to Kuala Lumpur via Colombo. Was scheduled to fly in seats 10 A, 10C on the leg of the flight from Colombo to Kuala Lumpur on 7th Jan 2018. Arrived at Colombo after a 11 hr flight from London, after a scheduled wait of some 2.5 hrs checked into the flight from Colombo to KUL only to be told in a brusque manner by ground staff that we would be at the back of the aircraft in spite of us having pre booked window and aisle seats. Our new seating was in the middle and aisle. Moreover we were asked to check in our hand baggage as this was a smaller A320 aircraft. Others were allowed to take their larger hand baggage onboard. The same situation regarding seat switching happened on the return journey JUL to CMB ON the 12th of Jan. Service was without smiles on both occasions. Bankrupt, badly run airline. As a frequent flyer I would not be travelling the LHR CMB sector with them again. There are much better alternatives albeit slightly more expensive ones.
RouteLondon to Kuala Lumpur via Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"sleep in the floor of airport"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Mumbai via Colombo. We landed at Colombo and went to catch our flight for Mumbai, as we reached we were told the flight had left. There protocol says we should get 45min between the two flights we landed at 10.58.pm and we reached the gate at 11.15pm. After which we asked the SriLankan Airlines to compensate for us they put us in to the next flight which was after 15 hours we were told they will not provide accommodations - the manager on duty and other employees were busy talking in they regional language and kept making fun of us. We had to sleep on the floor of the airport for 15 hours - this is the SriLankan Hospitality make ladies sleep in the floor of the airport.
RouteBangkok to Mumbai via Colombo

"I was more than satisfied2

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | London to Jakarta via Colombo. This was the return leg of my Christmas trip back to London. Overall, for the price, I was more than satisfied with Srilankan. The LHR - CMB overnight leg was fine; efficient crew, plenty of food and drink offerings and a newish aircraft (A330-300). The seat is OK but there's no mattress pad or duvet offered, just a fairly thin blanket, so it's not the most comfortable for sleeping. The IFE is just about adequate (it was the same in January as it was in December) but I'd say it's more geared towards the south Asian market with lots of Bollywood films. For transit of 8 hours+ the airline offers a complimentary hotel room but this seems to be assigned in a completely random way - initially, I was given a room at the Serendiva transit hotel which would have meant I couldn't have left the airport for my 18 hour transit (plus it gets horrible reviews on TA) - I dug my heels in and asked for something else. Eventually, they agreed and gave me a room at the Ramada, which was a 15-minute drive from the airport.There doesn't seem to be any distinction made between what economy and business-class passengers are offered, which seems slightly strange. Before the early morning CMB - CGK leg I went to the Srilankan Airlines Serendib Lounge which isn't that great, to be honest - greeted with an unsmiling 'Do you have an invitation?' and the hot breakfast food was cold. This second flight was on a much older A330-200, which was fine for a 4-hour flight - friendly crew and on-time arrival.
AircraftA330-300
RouteLondon to Jakarta via Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"storage space is incredibly little"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Dubai to Colombo with SriLankan Airlines. Ticket is priced competitively. For this route, UL deployed their smaller but new A320 Neo air craft. The usual good service and catering on board delivered, which is what I expect of UL. Seat pitch is sufficient for a single aisled air craft. Good recline and god touch screen AVOD. However, the storage space is incredibly little. Since the seat "pocket" is made out of hard plastic which is mounted onto the seat, it is more like a seat "rack", than a regular pocket with spring that can expand. That present a serious problem for storing the headphone and other things. To me, that's a huge design fail. Also there is hardly any space for putting a glass of welcome drink, unless you must pull out the tray table. Whatever the airbus company was thinking when designing these seats? It is worth noting that UL has other older types A320 in their fleet, the older sears are actually a lot more spacious, with decent seta pockets that offer good storage. This is a rare case when older is better than newer.
AircraftA320 Neo
RouteDubai to Colombo
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"food for me was excellent"

Trip Verified | Bangalore to London via Colombo. The food for me a diabetic was excellent. The TV screens were working well and we enjoyed a couple of movies. However Bangalore - Colombo they did not give us any headphones citing short flight. I just want to make an important point - try and avoid too much single use plastic. It's not good for the environment and airlines could cut back on so many sachets etc in use.
RouteBangalore to London via Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Return trip was disappointing"

Not Verified | London to Colombo return. Flight out super staff very hard working good meal and lots of wine top ups. Return trip was disappointing. After lunch the cabin lights went off until the next meal not what we expected as this was a daylight flight. I know people like to rest but this was too long.
AircraftA330 -300
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownDecember 2018

"given us a bad experience"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Singapore. We had booked Hindu meals. We were given a menu card showing 3 options during both the to and fro trips. During our journey from Singapore we were asked to place our order. Since my sister in law doesnt not consume chicken she had opted for chapati and veg set. But during the return trip she was given milk rice and chicken set although she requested for the chapati and veg set. The stewardess insisted that as we had order Hindu meals and that is what she will get. I was very upset on the way the stewardess behaved. She said she has to serve the rest of the passengers before she could accede to her request. More care should have been shown especially to elderly passengers. My sister in law and I had to ask a few times before the correct food was served. This episode has given us a bad experience. Please clarify how the chicken is classified as Hindu Meal.
RouteColombo to Singapore

"staff was incompetent"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Mumbai. The staff was incompetent, when meals were served the stewardess was rude to guests. They had a list with seats allocated with vegetarian option. Supposedly our names were not there which is not possible. So the stewardess asked us many times if we had ordered food. My problem is that why is the aircraft not carrying extra meals in such cases. After the meals the stewards and stewardesses just disappeared. We paid good money for this flight and basic service is expected. Food was so bad. Non veg got chicken and pineapple halwa while veg got beetroot curry and 4 pieces of fruit.
RouteColombo to Mumbai
Date FlownNovember 2018

"SriLankan Airlines never again"

Trip Verified | London to Male via Colombo. On our way from Heathrow to Male we discovered that the plug for the earphones is broken. Reported it to the staff but they have not even tried to sit us somewhere else saying the plane was full. On our way back same plane same seat the plug was still not fixed - 2 times 10,5 hrs flight with no entertainment. The staff was rude not even mentioning that apart from the pre ordered special meal they did not provide any gluten free snack for me between meal times making me starved throughout the whole journey (I am coeliac not a fashion dieter). Got in contact with customer services who only reply to our emails once a month and their only way of compensating us a $50 voucher only valid for a year and only on theirs services on board. Well no thank you! After this experience I will never even consider booking with SriLankan Airlines ever again.
RouteLondon to Male via Colombo
Date FlownMay 2018

"very good value for money"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Dubai via Colombo on A321 and A330-200 respectively. Arrived from Kuala Lumpur by Malaysia Airlines; checked in online and wasted time as the BPs evt. Said: “This is NOT a boarding pass. Airport Authorities require you obtain a Boarding Pass at the Airport Check–in counter. Counters close 1 hour prior to schedule departure”. Thus, I eventually had to line up in Jakarta where I got BPs from the ordinary check-in desk. In CGK there are no transit counters for Sri Lankan (maybe if you arrive Terminal 2?). I arrived T3 by other OW carrier (MH) and had to proceed to T2 which forced me to leave transit area, get a transit visa, pass immigration, customs, security, collect luggage and go by public transport to T2 as starting a new journey. Check-in opened only 3 hours before departure. Additional time prior to that is just wasted in check-in area. Thus, the Oneworld seamless experience is completely messed up like two alien airlines in two different airports. Check-in eventually was very cooperative except they ask for CC validation – I thought most (all?) airlines have dropped that. The payment for the trip was drawn 6 moths prior to the travel so wonder why they insist on CC-checks. The lounge provided in T2 is Pura Indah, a very stuffy, depressing place with substandard food and no views nor even a single window in the interior. They have no alcoholic drinks apart from 1 brand of cheapest local beer, Anker. Onboard Sri Lankan, as for both legs, I had a top notch experience and caring from fresh, proactive, observant, jolly (flirtatious?), and neat FA’s. Food was excellent and well presented with extensive menu cards and drink lists provided on both legs. Take off champagne good. Wines were casual but 5 brands offered. A wonderful experience in the air. Smooth transit in CMB. Punctual flights. Good IFE entertainment. I think the A321 is excellent for dayflights. The last leg was on A330-300 with nice sleeper seats. Here, four dishes were offered on their menu cards. I could only manage two of them. Both were very tasty. Warmly recommend this airline, very good value for money. Paid three, almost four times less than what I should have paid going by Emirates or Qatar on the same routing
AircraftA321 / A330-200