SriLankan Airlines

"flight had left without me"

Trip Verified | One of the cheaper ones available was Srilankan Airlines. I had an option to take Qantas for $100 more! Regret not taking it. During Check in - I requested if there were any Emergency exit seats since I'm tall and was worried if I would be able to cope for the 10 hr flight to Colombo. The Lady at the counter asked me to cough up $75 for a Seat and I politely obliged hoping to have a relaxed flight. I get into the flight to find that the flight was empty and here I see everyone stretching and sleeping on 2-3 seats whilst I sit there like a goose who paid for these seats. I continue to settle down and after take off I find that my Entertainment unit wouldn't work! I couldn't switch seats because the other emergency exit seats were taken up and I had to move back to a normal seat if I needed an entertainment unit that worked. This was after 2-3 hours of dodging around where they said they are trying to reset the system. Anyways this was the least of the problems. I am not someone who complains and I can understand we are not in a perfect world and things only start to get worse. I land in Colombo and I have a 14 hour transit. I'm shocked to see an international airport in such a pathetic condition. I decide to book in to a transit hotel and guess what they have a rule that says travellers can only rent the hotel for 3 hours and it must be just before the connecting flight! Nonsense! Why would someone want a hotel for 3 hours, I escalate this and apparently this is normal in their world. I go on to check in to a lounge which lets you sit and rest for 4 hours at $20 after waiting 2 hours at their bank which is unmanned mostly. This is a substandard airport who don't comply with the basic requirements of an international airport. No phone network, no Wifi, no credit card facilities, no currency exchange either. They gladly announce that the flight is delayed or cancelled depending on if they can restore the issue. I find out then that the flights are in poor condition and often delayed or cancelled and advised that the flight leaves in 4 hours and we meet at the same departure lounge. I meet the SriLankan Airlines Manager in Colombo and he confirms that its 4pm at the same lounge. I wait and I go to the lounge 30 mins ahead. Guess what! They said the flight had left without me from a different gate! Apparently its a silent airport and they had a few fools walking around shouting my name and I was sitting right outside the food court! Frustrated. I go to the customer service and I'm told that the next flight to my city is in 2 days. By Now my frustration level was at its peak and I couldn't wait in Colombo anymore. I ask if they could put me on a different flight to a different city. They oblige but I had to book new flights online to the neighbouring city and cough up $300 for it. Well I wanted to just get out of that place. I arrive into India and thank you SriLankan Airlines I get my 2 month old suitcase with all 4 wheels broken.
RouteMelbourne to Coimbatore via Colombo
Date FlownJuly 2019

"offer very competitive fares"

Trip Verified | Sri Lankan Airlines is a gem. A great way to fly into South India with Colombo Airport such a good hub. I found the service close to perfect on board with very tasty choices and my favourite Chilean wine. The crew were professional, perfectly groomed, and very attentive. The first time in my life I've been offered a nice cup of tea immediately after taking my seat - and about 8 varieties to choose from. The Serendib Lounge at Colombo is a great place to work in with wonderful food choices. I selected Sri Lankan partly because its now part of One World but was also surprised to see how many places in India they fly to, so this is a very good alternative to mainline India carriers. However, their website needs to promote these opportunities a lot more, as I only found this out by accident and a bit of detective work. Finally they offer very competitive fares with business fares often less than some airlines offer in economy on my flights anyway. Needs to be 4 stars at least.
AircraftA330-200 / A320-200
RouteSingapore to Coimbatore via Colombo
Date FlownOctober 2019

"crew delivered faultless service"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Flew Dubai to Jakarta via Colombo on 5-6 October 2019. Check-in on line and got original BPs in Dubai transit including 2 more flights (with Malaysia Airlines) beyond Jakarta. This meant that I did not have to queue up again at a transit desk in Jakarta, which was very nice. Both legs were on old A330-200 aircraft where there were some minor faults in the cabin (no headlight, seats worn). Lie flat chairs in 2x2x2 configuration. All passengers who wanted could have a whole pair of seats on first leg. Business class was only 30% full and one could change seat if desired. Amenity kit provided. Cabin were clean and the crew delivered faultless service onboard with excellent, delicious food. I had two main courses, first spicy fish dish from Sri Lanka, and then mutton bryani of Indian style. Beers offered poor but wines and champagne were fine. Elaborate menu and drink list cards provided. Lounge relayed to in Dubai has now unfortunately changed from Ahlan to the Merhaba lounge which is useless as it is always crowded. Thus, I went to British Airways lounge instead as I have Oneworld status. In Colombo it was Serendib Lounge which is a cozy little lounge with good foods and tarmac view. Had shower and a cheese plate. 2nd flight were full in business. The breakfast was divine: a sophisticated local Sri Lankan Milk Rice trio with carry fish and pickles. The teas they serve are among the best in the air. The beautiful FAs make up for any shortage on the hardware as they are kind, caring, and attractive. Both flights on time. Can't really fault this airline and they are becoming my favorite when they have good online offers. The CC are so warm, focused, and truly caring. This business class trip rendered high value for money, around 1000 USD for a return trip which rendered lots of FFP-miles.
AircraftA330-200
RouteDubai to Jakarta via Colombo
Date FlownOctober 2019

"crew were eager to help"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Dubai via Colombo. The quality of inflight services including foods and wide choices of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages made my flight better. The cabin crew were eager to help.
RouteDelhi to Dubai via Colombo
Date FlownOctober 2019

"One of the worst travel experience"

(Qatar)

Trip Verified | My family flown to Colombo From Doha on 01.10.2019 .Had a very bad experience with the Sri Lankan Airlines. Before we book the ticket we ask bassinet for two month infant they ask to while check in counter we can get as they said we got 50D when we bored there are no bassinet available. We ask cabin crew after long argument they tried and they gave 20D. After that there are no any on board service provided by the cabin crews when we ask for glass of water after half an hour they served, when we ask for diapers kit they don’t provide. Their reply was flight from Colombo to Doha so it’s not available I was shocked. They know infant traveling from Doha to Colombo they should keep enough. One of the worst travel experience We had.
AircraftA330-200
RouteDoha to Colombo
Date FlownOctober 2019

"customer service is a joke"

Not Verified | I will not fly SriLankan airlines again, the customer service is a joke. I flew from London to Colombo and my inflight entertainment did not work so I stared at a blank screen for 10 hours. When I e mailed to complain they tried to brush it off. When I insisted they escalate they responded with a 50.00 voucher (insult considering the price of my ticket). I have flown with them in the past but never again.
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownAugust 2019

"all were taken well care of"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Dubai via Colombo on 31 August 2019 on A321 and A330-200, respectively. Started journey in Jakarta upon arrival from Kuala Lumpur by Malaysia Airlines. Online check in prints were accepted in JKT Airport so I avoided to exit transit. They are very strict on checking credit card information and cannot allow people on board without being verified. They use Plaza Premium Lounge in T3. Lovely lounge in a big panorama corner with long views in 3 directions. Got some snakefruits and guava juice. Fortunately, MH og UL now both uses this terminal. Previously, I had to exit transit and get a visa to enter among different terminals. Both flights were world class in terms of FA friendliness and care. Food was very good with 3-4 options. Elaborate menu and drink list cards provided. Drinks provided uninterruptedly and proactively in a charming way. FA attendants are the best in the sky to my taste. Well groomed, friendly, focused, caring, charming, smiling (flirtatious?), explaining, suggesting, advising, and very honest and direct on whatever topics may pass. Flights full but all were taken well care of by hardworking staff. Aircrafts were worn and torn. IFE was not working properly and plugs are worn. Old, limited content. However, IFE has not any strong priority for me, anyway. Strange seating in the A330 machine, where the window seats in business class are lifted up 20 cm above all other seats in cabin; can’t sleep in such seats. In conclusion, good value for money and lots of Frequent Flyer Points given. First flight delayed 2 hours due to engine malfunction. Second flight awaited the delay of first flight, so eventually all passengers were delayed by (though only by an hour) at arrival in Dubai. Good for us but less good for the majority onboard 2nd flight for and extended 80 Minutes prior to take off. Not a good way for all as more people are affected and problems pushed forward. My two pieces of inscribed luggage were handled well.
AircraftA321 / A330-200
RouteJakarta to Dubai via Colombo
Date FlownAugust 2019

"value for the money paid"

(Cambodia)

Trip Verified | Colombo to Phnom Penh via Singapore. Punctuality of the airline is commendable. The food was delicious with different options for economy class passengers. Beverages were served more than three times for a 4 hr flight. Comfortable seats, enough leg space and entertainment with new features are improving. Highly recommend this airline and ensure value for the money paid.
RouteColombo to Phnom Penh via Singapore
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Business just 3 seats full"

Trip Verified | Colombo to Dubai and the same 321neo as per Dubai Colombo flight around 20 days back. Business was just 3 seats full though economy was packed. Crew in business were friendly and efficient. Food at their lounge was fantastic and onboard wasn't too bad. Didn't make use of their onboard Wi-Fi but their IFE was enough for me. Only drawback was a major portion of the flight was severe turbulence that led to a seriously tiresome after flight which isn't a fault of the airline.
AircraftA321Neo
RouteColombo to Dubai
Date FlownJuly 2019

"made my entire journey pleasant and memorable"

(Qatar)

Trip Verified | I travelled to Doha from Colombo on the 17th July, UL 217. As I settled into my seat, I informed the stewardess, that I suffer from sinus problems and requested a box of tissues and a blanket. I was surprised how she catered to my request immediately. She was also proactive enough to offer me a glass of warm water. The hospitality did not end there, just before take off she also brought me a cup of lemon tea. I have been a frequent traveller for past 14 years and only experienced such service in business class. This made my entire journey pleasant and memorable.
RouteColombo to Doha