SriLankan Airlines

"No email, no explanation!"

Not Verified | Booked flights last year for a family of 4 - flights got cancelled due to coronavirus and refund was requested. This was accepted and stated refund by end of August. I have received a payment today after chasing them but the full payment was just over £2400 and I have received £1771? No email, no explanation!
RouteGatwick to Colombo
Date FlownJuly 2020

"still yet to receive a refund"

Trip Verified | I was due to fly with SriLankan Airlines in July of this year, however, my flights were cancelled due to COVID19. Upon speaking to a customer service representative, I was told that I would be entitled to a full refund and that I just needed to apply online, which I did on June. It has now been 3 months and I am still yet to receive a refund and have not received any response to my follow up emails. This is not acceptable and reflects extremely poorly on SriLankan airlines, If this is how this airline treats it's customers, Now on I won't flight with Sri Lankan Airlines.
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownJuly 2020

"still yet to receive a refund"

Trip Verified | I was due to fly with SriLankan Airlines in April of this year, however, my flights were cancelled due to COVID19. Upon speaking to a customer service representative, I was told that I would be entitled to a full refund and that I just needed to apply online, which I did on 15 April. It has now been 4.5 months and I am still yet to receive a refund and have not received any response to my previous 3 requests for follow up. While I can appreciate this is a difficult time for all, it does not take almost 5 months to process a simple refund. This is not acceptable and reflects extremely poorly on SriLankan airlines, If this is how this airline treats it's customers, then I would certainly think twice before booking with this airline.
Date FlownApril 2020

"say that they will refund asap"

Trip Verified | The worst Airline in terms of customer service and handling of customers money. My Wife and kids were supposed to fly in Srilankan Airlines on 09/05/2020 and to return back on 02/10/2020. And I was meant to fly on 29th Aug and bring my family back on 02/10/2020. Due to Covid19, May flights got cancelled as a result airline promised to refund the fares. I requested to cancel my August ticket without any compensation as there is no requirement for me to fly if my family did not fly in May. Firstly, they said they cannot give a full refund for the August flight as the flight is still on. However no consideration given to the fact that all 4 tickets were booked together and paid as one transaction. Secondly, today is 20/08/2020, every time I contact them, they say that they will refund asap, However, it is been 3 and a half months and SriLankan Airlines still holding on to my $4000 for the tickets. Very disappointing as they are keeping my money for a service that they have not provided to me. Only reason i used SriLankan Airlines over the last 3 years is that they had a direct flight from Melbourne to Colombo and it is convenient to use them as a family as there is no transit. However the inflight service is very poor. Business Class is OK but nothing to be excited about.
RouteMelbourne to Colombo
Date FlownMay 2020

"Appalling customer service"

Not Verified | Appalling customer service - My flight was cancelled 19 weeks ago and I have still not received a refund. I received mixed messages from each representative I spoke with - at first being told the refund would take a couple of weeks, then 9 weeks and then by the start of August. It has now surpassed all of these dates and I still have not had concrete information on when the refund will be. The official Sri Lankan Airlines Twitter account blocked my friend for asking simple questions about the refund. You call up and they ask for one bit of information, keep you hanging on, then ask for a little bit more to keep you hanging on. This makes you think they are helping but it is all delaying tactics - they don't actually intend to help. It has taken them 30 minutes just to take my flight number. Totally inexcusable
RouteLondon to Colombo
Date FlownApril 2020

"refund policy is unacceptable"

(Saudi Arabia)

Not Verified | SriLankan Airlines refund policy due to Covid-19 situation is unacceptable, we are due to fly 3rdJune 2020 for 30th wedding anniversary. Obviously due to travel restrictions we will be unable to travel, due to statement from airline all fees will be waived up to 30th May 2020 if cancelled. If i cancel or wait for cancellation they will class us a no show and then charges fees. Will be applied they say all flights operating month of June? Their own website states (see below) So if i cancel i will incur all cancellation charges totally unacceptable! "Suspension of Visa in Sri Lanka Below restrictions were imposed by the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka in the light of coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. All types of visa issuance to enter Sri Lanka for all the foreign nationalities will be temporarily suspended until further notice Further, all types of Electronic Travel Authorizations (ETA), Entry Visas, Landing endorsements, Multiple Entry Visas and Resident Visas already granted to all the foreign nationals and not arrived in Sri Lanka yet will be temporarily suspended and they will not be allowed to enter Sri Lanka until further notice. Source: Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka
RouteRiyadh to Male via Colombo
Date FlownJune 2019

"They are not paying me!"

Trip Verified | I've wrangled for a year unsuccessfully with Sri Lankan Airlines for a refund of my parents' and my flight on 17 May 2019, weeks after Colombo's Easter 2019 terrorist attacks. On 28 and 30 Apr 2019 I called their hotline twice. The situation then was very uncertain after the blasts. Both times, I asked the personnel on the hotline if it was possible to cancel our 3 return Singapore-Colombo tickets due to the blasts. I quoted our 3 booking reference numbers and our names. I was told both times by the personnel who answered that I could cancel our tickets immediately on the call but had to complete and submit the refund request on Sri Lankan Airline's website to get my refund. On my call on 30 Apr 2019 I told the lady to process the cancellations of our tickets. I submitted the online request using the webform but i did not get any confirmation email and I did not receive any refund. I called again to follow up and was told to email the airline. When I emailed I was initially told that my tickets were non-refundable. When I asked why I was told twice when I called that our tickets could be cancelled and I could be refunded the airline emailed back stating "Please be informed that the company has offered a full refund only for the flights which departs from 21st APR- 15TH MAY 2019 and since your travelling dates are in 17th MAY, we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer a full refund. However we will be able to refund the unutilized taxes of the same, if you wish to proceed with the refund, please send us your confirmation for further assistance." I refused to accept just the tax and continued emailing them a few times. The customer service division eventually passed me to Customer Affairs Supervisor who flatly pressed on denying a refund. On 13 May 2021 after months of frustration I finally told the airline to refund just the tax, stating that I reserved my rights to the airfare. They took awhile to reply, then finally told me that past one year of issuance of the ticket, even the refund of the tax portion was invalid! To this, I reasoned that tax was payable by the airline to the government. But if we didn't fly, the tax would not be paid and the fact that the ticket was issued a year ago could not bar me from receiving the amount of tax the airline collected from me. I have not heard back, but with the airline's outrageous stance so far, I am not hopeful. Sri Lankan Airlines may be going through tough times financially with the Easter blasts and now with Covid. Be extremely careful about believing anything they say about refunds. They are not paying me!
Date FlownJune 2019

"disregard for the customer"

Not Verified | Singapore to Colombo. We were flying to Sri Lanka to celebrate my wife's and daughters birthday in March, booked in January. Then COVID 19 happened and as the situation worsened we called the airline to see if they would cancel. They refused a refund. We spoke as a family and decided we would go ahead anyway since there were few to no cases in Sri Lanka. The day we landed the airline started to consolidate flights and changed our flight time. What this meant for us 1) Check out from a full board accommodation a day early which could not be cancelled 2) Book a new hotel in Negombo next to the airport to make the flight on time. The flight was meant to be at noon, but was moved to 7am and we're travelling with a 4 and 6 yr old so parents will understand our predicament. When I explained this to the airline rather than offering to help us, they said the best they could do is give us a date change. How this would help us is anybody's guess. This after I had waited to get an operator on the call centre for about 45 minutes. Where things stand now, The callcentre does not have the "authority" to offer anything else and they have bounced us to "customer service" which is closed on Sunday. We need to fly out in 5 days and this lack of urgency and general disregard for the customer has shocked me. I've been a frequent traveller on cathay and Singapore Airlines and have literally never had to face such low levels of customer service. Never travel this airline if there's a chance you might need some customer service
Date FlownMarch 2020

"extremely disappointing"

Not Verified | Colombo to Melbourne. Service was extremely disappointing. We were travelling as assisted passengers as we are elderly. We got virtually no assistance at all. At one stage the airline staff left us at the baggage carousel and my 84 yr old husband had to collect the baggage with help from other passengers. Sadly I have another leg booked on this airline. I would strongly recommend that you do not fly this airline, especially if you are travelling as an assisted passenger. The cabin service was poor also. The food was equally bad. In addition, it was a rather expensive fare.
RouteColombo to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2020

"no extra leg room at all"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Colombo. When we initially purchased our tickets and reserved our seats (12A and 12B), they were in the front row of economy class with extra leg room. We were told they changed airplane models and were assigned different seats (27H and 27K) with no extra leg room at all. When notified of the error, the airline offered us seats back in row 50. We did not want to move all the way back to row 50, especially since our initial seats were in row 12 where we would have been able to exit the plane soon after it landed. The seats they should have reassigned to us, the front row of economy class (now row 20) were given to someone else. As I am almost two meters tall, extra leg room is required for comfort. Their reassignment to row 27 was very uncomfortable and not at all what we had paid for or reserved online.
RouteDelhi to Colombo