Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

I flew Spirit on my return flight this past weekend and to say the return trip was a disaster is an understatement. Naturally most customers choose Spirit because it "appears" to be more economical. However if you do a true cost comparison with other airlines there is no real savings. They took me out of line and took my ticket and then proceeded to tell me it would be extra $$ for my carry on with wheels it was a standard small size . I paid $100 at the gate like the small wheels makes a big difference less than 30 lbs most airlines it is 50 lbs. I was shocked when I noticed the signs at the gate which charged $100 for a standard carry-on this was simply incredulous! Like thieves the only thing missing was the gate person using a gun to rob you! Once on board I did not realize the seats did not recline very uncomfortable for a flight. You have to purchase standard items water and soda? Next thing for Spirit will probably charge you to go to the bathroom and only if the army sergeant stewardess would allow it? You have to pay extra for any common courtesies. The stewardess announced over the speaker that only 9 people had to pay extra $$ she made it sound like Spirit was doing us a favor by charging us extra $$$ and allowing us to fly with them. Do not fly Spirit. You do not save any money when you add in the normal courtesies.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Did a round trip from Dallas to Portland Oregon the weekend of August 9. Decided to upgrade to the front seats which for my brother and I it was worth the extra cost of $50 per seat. The front seats do recline. The only hitch on this trip is that upon returning to DFW we could not get our checked luggage for over 1.5 hrs. It was very frustrating. But if you need a cheap seat and you can pack light and either pay the carry on charge for you luggage or just put everything in a small backpack then Spirit may work for you. We also had to wait once we landed for a gate to open up so we sat on the ground an extra 15 minutes before our plane could get into a gate. I also brought my own snacks so make sure you do that. I chose to purchase water after passing through security and getting inside the terminal. I took my bottled water in my small backpack along with my snacks onto the airplane and this was not a problem. Other than these problems it went relatively well. I checked in online and printed my boarding passes online from my home. The Spirit staff and the airport and on both flights were acceptable. Also Spirit was one of few airlines that offered DFW to PDX non-stop which for me is important because I don't like multiple flights. Bottom Line. Spirit Airlines is a inexpensive airline with no frills. I really don't think I would book Spirit for a long flight or for anything out of the USA.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit Airlines was horrible in the following ways: extremely poor flight trip extremely poor timing (I waited 6 hours for my flight) staff were very unpleasant with their services and most of all very poor planning.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Flight 142 on 2 Aug and Flight 145 9 Aug. All the years that I traveled with so many different airlines I have never had this type of service and other added costs. You want water a soft drink or anything you have to pay. I made a reservation for a low cost trip from Dominican Republic to Fort Lauderdale assumed cost of the plane travel was low. Now comes the additional cost of luggage for any bag under 40 lb you pay $50 anything over that $100 carry-on $50 computer bags and other handbags $50 if its more than 18 inches high. Here is the catch I was traveling with another person that had a computer bag the same as mine he was able to go through at no cost.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I made reservations from Detroit to Oakland with a stop-off in Las Vegas without checking online reviews because I had no suspicions and had never been particularly finicky about airlines as long as the flight got me to my destination. I read the reviews and like many people I came to the airport full of trepidation because of all these negative comments. I printed out my boarding pass and purchased optional seats (the cheapest that I could see online but maybe next time I'll just waive that and try getting free seat assignments) and arranged my one check-in bag online in advance. Still I was worried that the flight would be delayed or worse yet somehow cancelled for days. Well the upshot is that everything worked out just fine and I actually enjoyed it. The check-in was simple it turned out that my bag weighed 39.9 pounds just barely saving me from paying an extra $25. I also had a medium-size "personal item" bag which was free. The seats on my two Spirit flights that day were large enough for me a 6-foot tall male. The number of seats per row was no more than I've seen on any other airlines going that distance so I can't understand where all the complaining about cramped seats comes from. The seats on the first flight looked a bit worn but nonetheless clean and comfortable so no big deal to me. Both Spirit flights left on time and arrived even a bit early compared to the reservation times which was great. There was no food or drinks served which was just fine with me because I never order anything anyhow and didn't especially need the generic small cup of coke and bag of peanuts on such journeys. The whole time the staff were friendly and spoke clearly. I admittedly didn't have any special needs but to the extent that they were performing their expected duties I saw nothing amiss. I was also on the lookout for other passengers having problems and yet saw nothing come up from start to end. The steward on the Vegas-Oakland stretch was like a stand-up comic in his announcements to the audience which was actually quite amusing. Very memorable. Seriously I had a perfectly good time and everything went smoothly. I kept wanting to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming because I was so impressed at my positive experience compared to the online reviews.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit is the biggest rip off. They sell you a cheap ticket and then you have to pay for everything else. $50 for the first bag and also for the bag that goes in the overhead compartment too. They charge for your seat. The website is terrible and you cannot find a phone number to call and speak to someone to get help. I just cancelled my $9 club fee and my Spirit Airline card. I recommend everyone to use Southwest Airlines. They allow you 2 free check bags and one carry on. And you don't have to pay for the seat you sit in. I just saved $360 in baggage fees and seat fees compared to Spirit. They also give you snacks and a free non-alcoholic beverage.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I am done with this airline. My last few flights with them were delayed hours on end (1 hour and 8 hour delay due to mechanical failure one 6 hour delay supposedly due to weather though all other flights coming from the area my flight was on time another 2.5 hour delay for mechanical issues). The managers are rude and the customer service is non-existent. I would not fly with Spirit again if they gave me a ticket. I told them they need to change the name of their airline to Misery because that is what you have to go through time and again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

This airline offers a low teaser rate and then overcharges the naive 1st time flyer by various deceptive means. They are trying to stick me with a charge of $295 for a trip I could have made on any reputable airline for $180. I was socked $50 for carry on at airport but told by agent If I had prepaid it would have been less. The night before my return I tried to register on their site and had to pay $36 for baggage +fee for boarding pass $9.00 membership fee. Flight was hr late coming and 30 mins late on return. I would never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We booked a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to La Guardia and arrived an hour early. We tried to check in using the self serve kiosk which malfunctioned 3 times. When it finally took our information it printed a time stamped slip that said we needed to see an agent. Our slip was time stamped at 6.20 am and our flight departed at 7.04 am. When we finally found an attendant she was not helpful rude and directed us to a long line of angry customers. After waiting in line the agent informed us that Spirit "closes" flights 45 minutes prior to departure and that our time stamped slip was 1 minute past their "cut off". We explained that the kiosks had malfunctioned 3 times causing our delay and that we had arrived an hour early. She had absolutely no regard for our situation was extremely rude and unwilling to take any responsibility for their equipment causing our delays. We asked for a supervisor which took 40 minutes. The supervisor told us the best she could do was charge us well over $200 more per ticket to book us on the next flight almost 6 hrs later! We couldn't wait the six hours and asked for a refund when told that other airlines had earlier flights. We went to JetBlue where we had a completely different experience as soon as we walked in. They were extremely friendly apologized for our experience (which Spirit never did) and booked us on an earlier flight. Due to the situation and having to book new flights at the last minute prices were much higher than if we would have just booked with them to begin with. If you're considering this airline because of the attractive pricing believe me it's not worth the hassle!

Spirit Airlines customer review

Worst experience I've had with an airline. I thought I was getting a good deal for price but did not expect to be charged for carry-on's $50 a piece! So in the end flight is not cheaper than other airlines. In addition flight was cancelled in Chicago (flying from Oakland CA to Mlps MN). I ended up driving with 3 others on the Spirit flight from Chicago to MINN. We were told they would reimburse leg we did not take but have not heard anything from them regarding this and its been a week! Now waiting for my return flight home and both planes have been delayed (out of MN and Chicago) and likely I will be stuck in Chicago again. Would never take this airline again.