Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

I will never take Spirit again my first and last time. Not such a bargain price when you have to additional $90 for carry-on luggage and you check in online. Would have been cheaper and a more flexible flight to fly with another airline. It. cost me almost $200 round trip from LAX to Las Vegas when it should have been $98 as advertised.

Spirit Airlines customer review

My second time flying Spirit and the last. First of all who doesn't want to save a little and spend it on activities? The problem is that you don't realize until after you have booked that more fees are coming. I knew there would be seat fees if I chose to sit next to my traveling companion and I also knew that I would have to pay for checked bags. What I didn't know until I received a reminder email to do online check in is that now Spirit also charges $10 per person if you do not do an online check in and print your boarding passes. After $160 extra for bags and cheap seats they want you to pay to check in at the airport too. The real topper of all this is that my flight from Dallas with a brief stop in San Diego then on to Cabo was all without any type of drinks because no one bothered to stock the plane so after you ordered and they swiped your card they came back and said "Oh so sorry we are all out of that". Also after you pay for those seats you may or may not get them. Its not worth the hassle and all the extra fees-at the end of the day it still costs as much to fly this "discounted airline" as it would to fly one of the others that is straight forward with the charges. Stop being sneaky and underhanded Spirit no one appreciates it!

Spirit Airlines customer review

May 8th 2014 PDX-LAS. Flight 293. May 11th 2014 LAS-PDX Flight 360. The staff at the terminals are a miserable group of people and you can tell they hate their jobs. Departure was 4 hours late from talking to other people this is not unusual. Return flight was also late. Paid for the trip and bags and seats and when the departure flight was so late I had to rebook on Alaska tried to call Sprit but good luck with that. When I went to return found out they cancelled my return flight because I didn't make the original departure flight even though I paid! finally convinced the very miserable staff at the counter that it wasn't my fault I couldn't make their late flight. Flight attendants were pleasant on the flight but seemed to know that they work for a very low budget airline.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Never again will I fly Spirit this was our first and certainly our last. Our return flight from Vegas to Dallas on May 7 2014 was originally scheduled to depart at 11.35 am which turned into 8.35. No notification of flight status change until we checked in and were told it was delayed until 6.00 pm which changed to 4.00 then to being cancelled. We were given vouchers for $7 which won't even buy you a sandwich in the airport! Customer service was off the scale of being totally unsatisfactory. We paid extra to have particular seats which on our return flight we did not get. You would have thought the least that could have been done once boarded would have been to offer complimentary beverages but no such thing. The experience was a total fiasco to put it nicely. I am telling everyone I know that flies to avoid Spirit at all costs because it is not worth the few extra dollars you save for all the inconvenience and headache that comes with it. None of the other flights that came in during my 12 hour stay was on time so obviously they didn't leave on time either.

Spirit Airlines customer review

They cancelled my husband's flight 8 hours before he was to go. Only notified him through email did not offer any flight alternatives. It cost us an extra $168 to get a rush ticket with another carrier. They would not cover the difference of cost to get the flight. Poor customer service - I waited on hold for over 30 minutes - spoke with an unfriendly customer service agent. Very dissatisfied - will only use Spirit again as a last resort.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We flew from Ft. Lauderdale to LA. Spirit changed our flight out because of the flight not being fully booked. They gave us about a weeks warning so that was not too bad as we could plan accordingly. However on the way back from LA to Ft. Lauderdale we flew from LA to Chicago changed planes and the next leg went to Ft. Lauderdale. While in the air from LA to Chicago they canceled our second leg of the flight and the next flight out was 6 hours after we landed. Had they told us ahead we could have planned accordingly. But to change it during flight is inexcusable. The man at the gate was uncaring and rude. We asked if they would put us on another flight landing in a nearby town. We were told that there was no room. 10 minutes later 6 people came up to the gate late (they missed the flight we tried to get on). In other words the guy lied there was at least 6 empty seats on the plane and they could have put us on there as stand by. They also charge for sodas snacks and beverages. If you wish to pick your seat you pay for that also.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Plane was late to arrive to begin. Our flight was at 1.47pm plane arrived at 2.10. Flight attendants couldn't be found. All passengers boarded the (very dirty) plane and the pilot announced (after 30 min) that they were experiencing mechanical issues. 15 minutes later a mechanic showed up. 30 minutes later they de-boarded us. We waited around in the airport with no answers. They kept telling us that they were "holding" the connecting flight. 1.5 hrs later the problem was "fixed". All passengers boarded again. As soon as everyone was on the plane the pilot announced that the mechanical issues hadn't been resolved. We were in Fort Myers in 80 degree weather and sitting in a plane with no AC. Eventually all told to de-board. We waited in the airport again for another 1.5 hrs with still no answers other than they were still holding the connecting flight. Finally told that folks that had connecting flights needed to go back down to the Spirit ticket booth it was going to be first come first serve. Once all 60 passengers were back down at the ticket booth we again waited for at least 2 hours in line waiting for answers. They put us up in hotel rooms but never told the hotel and never notified the hotel shuttles that there were 60 people who needed transportation. We finally left the airport at 8.15pm! They gave us a food voucher $7 per person and $50 credit to fly their airline again. They are short staffed the planes are dirty and the seats don't recline. Your knees were hitting the seat in front of you. You don't get any beverages or snacks on the flight. Bottom line is it was a horrible experience. It was a cheap flight that cost our family lots of money and stress. I don't recommend giving Spirit Airlines your business.

Spirit Airlines customer review

May 6 2014. Purchased two tickets BWI to LAS depart 7.40 p from Balt. $416 plus $138 in seat selection charges. Plane delayed until 10.30p due to bird strike out of Pittsburgh. Updated to learn plane was hit by lightning twice. New departure 12.30 a. Plane coming in to Myrtle Beach that plane didn't leave a Myrtle Beach for BWI until 10.45 p. Arrived around 12.45 a. Plane was grounded. A plane which had been sitting at our gate since 10.30p was activated for our flight but it had to be prepped and fuelled. This added a half hour. We boarded around 1.15 the water system was out on this plane toilets were available but no one got to use them. We circled the tarmac and waited 30 min. for clearance to take off. Departure denied and the flight crew had timed out so we taxied back to the gate. Spirit offered us a rebook or refund. My issue is the ground logistic were to blame no departure approval they knew they were switching equipment why not gas up the plane two hours prior. The reason the flight was cancelled was not due to bird strike or lightning simple human error and gross incompetence. My wife and I arrived at BWI at 5.00 p spent $100 on airport dinner $12 to park almost 10 hours later to circle in a plane on the ground to drive home at 2.30 a. We have flown Spirit before got to where we needed to go but it really should not be this kind of gamble customers should not be treated like freight.
Seat TypeFirst Class

Spirit Airlines customer review

This was the worst flying experience I have had. I felt like I was sitting on top of the person next to me - and I am a relatively small person! I had no leg room whatsoever and my seat did not recline. How do you expect to sleep on a 5 hour red eye without even a slightly reclining seat! I even have a reclining seat when I take a $25 bus from NYC to Washington DC! They call yourself the "most affordable airline" yet you charge for everything. $30 for a checked bag!? $18 for a seat. I will never fly them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

If you want feel miserable about yourself fly in this company. They are not cheap. They are always late. If they often cancel a flight then you will be alone buying another ticket from a real company with last minute price. There is no such thing as customer service or respect for the customer.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]