Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit exceeded my expectations! Before buying a round-trip ticket I read many reviews from various websites which all complained about additional costs customer service cramped seats and delays. So I was really expecting the worst. Well I must say I enjoyed Spirit. People need to do their research first before flying them. I flew from O'Hare to Vegas round-trip for $166. I did the bare fare I just backpacked 3 pairs of clothing toiletries ipad and few personal items so I would incur $0 in baggage fees. I printed out my boarding pass ahead of time to incur $0 of fees so just got to the airport and went straight to the gate. I did notice the Spirit check in line was seriously backed up when I got to O'Hare but flying them I would never bring checked in luggage considering the fees are high. Any snacks I brought in my backpack. So I never really encountered any service people besides the flight attendants on the flight. Both flights were on time not delayed and we arrived in Vegas 40 minutes ahead of time. Both flights were smooth and the attendants were fine. The seating to me was like any other normal US airline. The space may be cramped a small bit but the seats were like a fa ke leather and comfortable enough. So Spirit far exceeded my expectations after reading all the bad reviews. Spirit is best if you are going to take a 2-4 day trip do the bare fare by only needing to pack everything in a small carryon or backpack for free. Print out your boarding passes at home for free. I would not be flying Spirit if you're checking in several bags connecting flights etc. I can see where the complaints would come in then. I will be definitely be using them from now on to go to Vegas and future non-stop destinations.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I flew from DFW to Tampa Oct 18 2014 and return flight Oct 22 2014. First leg of flight was delayed 8 hours. I was scheduled to arrive 6.30 pm and arrived at 2.30 am. I was not given a voucher for cab food or any viable alternative travel options. I was visiting a friend who was recovering from major surgery and could not ask anybody in her family to pick me up at that time of night/morning so I paid for a $40 cab ride. The flight back to DFW was packed and I was in a row with a man who had to have been well over 400 pounds possibly closer to 500 pounds. A girl and I shared one seat while the large man had two seats. I was terribly disappointed with Spirit Airlines. Although your flight attendants are wonderful they can't make up for these ridiculous fails on your scheduling and overbooking. I would have paid an extra $500 to get to my destination on time and to actually get a full seat on my flight.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit offers very low fares and all you need to do is understand what you are getting for that very low fair nothing but the flight. When I pay $110.00 for a return flight across the country (Detroit to Fort Lauderdale) I am willing to pay extra if required but some planning ahead means you can avoid most fees. Our plane was new I upgraded to an exit row seat for $25.00 more we left on time and my luggage arrived what more do you expect for such a low cost? Better then some other airlines I have used. For the people who complain about paying for a carry on or no free drink plan ahead and purchase your luggage online when booking for a reduced rate factor in the cost when comparing flights or fly with someone else. The entire Spirit business model is you pay for everything you have no one to blame but yourself if you didn't realize this until you got on the plane. I am happy to pay $110.00 and go without a free can of pop and not use the overhead bin!

Spirit Airlines customer review

The negative reviews almost prevented me from trying Spirit. I just completed my second round trip. The airline website and follow up email set expectations. If you read everything Spirit provides you will have a better experience because you'll know what to expect and expectations will be in alignment. If you don't like saving money fly a non low-cost airline. My personal experience was much better than expected in all categories. On one flight the captain actually made the pre-flight announcement outside the cockpit for all to see. This is a great alternative to existing airline experiences.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I did my research ahead of time prepared my personal item a few days ahead of time (for a 3 day trip) and was ready to experience the worst. I flew from Dallas to LAX and back. The flights left on time I felt safe in the air getting on and off the plane was no problem staff was nice pilots were nice I was able to get food and drinks at the airport itself. The seats were small but I'm short and I had my movies to keep entertained. I hope this wasn't a fluke because I wouldn't mind starting to use Spirit for my shorter trips where I would rather use more of my money on the trip itself.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I do not understand what the negative reviews are all about. If you paid half the price the normal air ticket would cost then stop complaining. The add-on fees are clearly written in the conditions if you do not take the time to read them then it is your problem. One thing you can save money is to travel light bring only a backpack there would be no additional charge. If the flight is canceled due to weather conditions it is not because of the company. Okay Spirit airlines flights are late but other companies flights can be also late. If you pay less then you get what you paid for - you should have a higher tolerance level or else travel with Spirit is not for you. I traveled with Spirit to Costa Rica last year in May from New York the round ticket cost me $367 - the flight was about 2 hours late (did not mind) but the plane was new and clean staff smiley and didn't get any unpleasant surprises. 10/10!

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit is by far the most unreliable airline I have flown. Aside from the 2 plus hour delays aside from the cheap seats with super thin backrests/the cramped space aside from charging for any bag bigger than a size of a purse it's been a cost effective experience - one in which I'll pay not to ever fly again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Oct 2nd from Oakland CA to Dallas Fort-Worth TX. Flight 408 return October 5th. I read all the reviews after purchasing our tickets. However our experience with Spirit Airlines was better than I expected. Our flight was delayed but that was due to weather. There were no other problems we got what we paid for a simple airline with no extras. We were satisfied and would fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

First and last Spirit flight. Was warned by friends that the extra fees and consistently late or canceled flights wouldn't be worth the $20 savings. They were right. Delayed from MSP to LAS - 1 hr. Delayed 2.5 hours from LAS to MSP.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Awful service delayed flights poor communication (attendant with poor mannerisms made few announcements did not know correct gate until last minute). On the first flight the attendants did not know which gate the 2nd flight would be until they landed and opened the plane door (what is this no abilities to call the airport ahead of time?). During layover I had to deplane knowing I had to board the same plane again. I misplaced my ticket during the layover and hence had to wait until the very end to reprint my ticket and board again. This entire process could have been avoided if I stayed on the same plane to begin with.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]