Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

I recently flew round-trip from Detroit MI to Las Vegas NV April 4th and April 7th 2014. The airplanes that Spirit used for both of these flights were absolutely filthy (grease prints from foreheads on the backs of the seats and dirt on the floors). But this was the least of my complaints really. Spirit charges $45 for a carry-on bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online ($55 if you check-in at the airport). If you would like to check your bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online then it is $40 ($50 if you check-in at the airport). Oh and these are only one-way so for a round-trip flight double those amounts. I ended up paying $90 just to bring my carry-on bag on the plane with me. To choose your seat Spirit will charge you $18 one-way. Double that amount if you want it for a round-trip vacation. So if you would like to sit next to your friend significant other children parents etc. then it will cost you nearly $40 extra. Those complimentary beverages? On Spirit they are not complimentary. $3 per beverage and obviously no free refills. So while Spirit may advertise with those low prices flights they will then screw you over by charging you a ridiculous amount for luggage (both carry-on and checked) your seat and beverages that would otherwise be complimentary if you had chosen another airline. Do not fly with them!

Spirit Airlines customer review

Boston (BOS) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL) return. Just do your research understand what you're getting and how businesses operate. In my mind this is the equivalent of taking the cheap Chinatown bus from Boston to NYC. No one takes said bus for comfort or luxury or great customer service or poor in-flight food they take it because it's cheap and it'll get you there one way or another. Spirit's whole business model is based on what they consider "extras." Carry-on that's bigger than a medium-sized knap-sack is extra. Being picky about your seat assignment is extra. In-flight snacks big seats using staff at the ticket counter all these are considered "extras." So when it comes down to it it's all a big game. They set the rules and you make the moves and manoeuvres to get through the maze with as few dings to your wallet as possible. With the "Spirit game" you don't pick your seats you bring your own food you pack as light as possible you measure and/or weigh your baggage beforehand to avoid penalties for getting it wrong you do your best to squeeze into small seats you listen to headphones when they do their credit card shpeel on the loud speaker if you can you go to the airport to buy your tickets (buying online carries a convenience charge) you find out ahead of time when the ticket counter is open at the airports you'll be flying through (if you need them) you avoid using the ticket agents in any way possible. Those are the rules of the game. It's up to you which rules you want to abide by and of course it's up to you whether you want to play the game at all.

Spirit Airlines customer review

My sister and I flew to South Carolina and before we flew my husband called Spirit to see what the procedure was for checking baggage. He was told that although the internet says to pay $25 online or $50 at check-in or $100 at the gate we didn't have to. We flew out of Chicago O'Hare Airport with no problem. When departing South Carolina we were told as we were boarding that we had to pay $100 to carry a back pack and 1 piece of luggage with us on the plane. We and 3 other people had to pay $100 for nothing. It wasn't a problem going there suddenly it's a problem? I will never fly with this airline again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Denver International Airport to Las Vegas Nevada airport. Flight number 719 on March 19th 2014 and back to Denver March 22nd on flight 562. Terrible experience both to my destination and back. I fly a lot and was very disappointed. The fees for the bags are crazy. I was able to get on the plane to my destination without a fee. Then on the way home they charged me for the exact same bag that had the exact same things in it.

Spirit Airlines customer review

My sister and I flew from New Orleans to Dallas on April 4-8 2014 and were pleased with their service! We read all the rules carefully and packed accordingly. No problem with our 1 checked bag a piece. We printed our boarding passes and prepaid our luggage both ways. The ticket agent in New Orleans even offered for us to choose our seats (free of charge) because the flight was not full. Pleasant flight attendants and they did not overly push their credit card. The return flight from Dallas was just as good and the cabin crew even better.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Looks like cheaper airfare but is not! Don't be fooled. Tons of add on expenses include: Baggage seats fare club membership government's cut security fee passenger facility fee segment fee and federal excise tax. I accidentally paid for 4 bags to check online and only needed to check 2.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I recently flew Spirit airlines for the first time. After reading all the reviews posted I was nervous and somewhat sceptical about this airline. However both to and from Orlando I couldn't have asked for anything better! From the time I checked at Houston the staff was fantastic to the flight staff to the members in Orlando I was very happy with the service that I received. I would definitely recommend Spirit to others and will be using this airline again!

Spirit Airlines customer review

My wife and I recently flew round trip from Chicago to Orlando. I was somewhat leery of flying Spirit after reading the many reviews. However my anxieties were alleviated after this trip. Why? Simple I did my homework. I read reread and researched Spirit's baggage policies and followed them to the letter. We experienced no problems at all from check-in to deplaning on both legs of our trip. If you plan on taking advantage of Spirit's low rates great. Enjoy the extra cash in your pocket. However if you can't fit their guidelines for baggage weight and size limits then plan on paying additional. By the way my wife and I did have to pay additional money for three checked baggage but the final cost was still over $500 cheaper than the other airlines that I was considering before booking my flights on Spirit.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Don't expect a 5 star experience for a 1 star price! Read everything and prepare your baggage beforehand. We saved lots of money flying with spirit! Our expectations were low due to all the terrible reviews but everything went fine! We didn't buy anything on the plane nor extra baggage. Seat were okay but I would consider larger seats as I am a tall person and leg room was a bit tight. Staff was pleasant at Plattsburg airport a bit less at Fort Lauderdale but still reasonable. No entertainment was offered.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I first flew Spirit in November 2013 on a return trip to and from Cancun Mexico. Booked on Spirit after coming across the cheap prices on Kayak. I went to the airport ready to do battle but much to my surprise I was quickly processed through there were no surprise extra costs and the flights were in fact uneventful. I again flew last week to and from San Diego and the experience was the same. Yes I wish they had better seats with more leg room and perhaps provide some sustenance during the flight but I guess one has to prepare for lack of such amenities when flying budget. Would I fly with them again? Yes I would. During the four flights I had with Spirit I saw the ground/airport crew work overtime to make sure that we did not miss the connecting flights when there were delays sometimes personally escorting/directing the passengers through the maze of airport hubs and the on-air crews were always pleasant.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]