Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

This airline has to be the worst I have ever traveled with. I don't know if it's because of the holidays or if they are just always like this. Their tickets might be cheap but you pay for it in every other thing that they can think of to charge you for. Don't bother bringing carry on thinking you'll save money 50$ to check carry on. Don't forget they charge you for a small cup of water. That's not really what irks me though - it's the fact that this airline doesn't seem to have anything together. Everyone of my flights were delayed by an hour to 2 hours for random and not clearly explained reasons. Everyone is fairly rude and not reassuring. Not only have these delays inconvenience myself they also inconvenience the people coming to get me from the airport. All in all poor service poor comfort (the seats don't recline at all). Terrible prices for luggage and food. I am completely disappointed with this airline and I don't think I will ever use them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I flew today with my family of 5 from Houston to Orlando we arrived at the airport 2 hours prior to our 7:20am flight. When we arrived at the ticket counter for the "fast bag drop" the line was out the side doors of the Houston airport with 1 person working the baggage counter. We waited in that line over 40 minutes. When we were asked to come up to the counter the Spirit worker was very snappy and rude. We made it to the gate and started boarding an hour after boarding time.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Sept 11-16 Flight 501 Flight 520 returning. We flew Spirit for the first time in sept 2014 Kansas City to Las Vegas. Our flight going was acceptable but the return flight was downright horrible. First we get to the airport and there is a line about 3 miles long. We tried to do online check in but the site was down. Then the worst of all the flight was delayed 3 times I will never fly this outfit again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I just booked a trip with Spirit but am going to cancel and take the loss. Talk about a rip off. They charge more for baggage than any other airline including carry-on. You have to pay for a carry on unless it fits under the seat. Their cancellation fee is higher than any other airline and you have to pay for an assigned seat. While their fares seem reasonable at first with all the add ons they are more expensive than most major carriers. It's almost impossible to reach a human being on their customer service line.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Terrible experience. Only 2nd time I've used this airline and will never use them again. My wife and I had a change of plans 4 days after booking for a flight 2 months in the future. Original tickets $440 - $312 in change fees = $128 refund that has to be used in 60 days on Spirit Airlines. You can be the judge if this is fair treatment. You get what you pay for!

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spent 4 hours on tarmac before getting to terminal then 3 more hours in line waiting to get through customs. The staff were extremely rude. We then missed our connecting flight which was the last one for the day. We were supposed to have a 4 hour layover but because of the unexplained delay we were instead forced to wait until the next day for a flight. There was no explanation for the delays. The weather was good. There also was no courtesy from any of the Spirit staff. We were told to just deal with it.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Our flight was reserved as part of a AAA vacation package to Cancun Mexico. Had we known about the lack of free non-alcoholic beverages not being able to recline the seats and being wedged into a seat like a sardine I would have not flown with Spirit Airlines! Luckily our hotel had a working computer and printer for the boarding passes. Otherwise we would have had to pay at the airport for not having boarding tickets. And why did we pay to be in an early boarding group for the entire round-trip if our boarding group and the next boarding group were called to board at the same time? This happened at both legs to our destination and both legs from our destination! Luggage cost: Spirit charges $40 for a 40 lbs suitcase at the time of on-line check-in $50 for additional suitcases. We had three suitcases. Yes it's a bit cheaper if paying for suitcases at the time of reservation which we could not do because we booked through AAA. The cost per suitcase is even more for heavier suitcases and if paid for at the airport. Last I checked most other airlines accept up to 50 lbs per suitcase for about $25. By the way some airlines allow up to 70 lbs per suitcase for international flights. We and several other passengers almost missed the connecting flight from Fort Lauderdale to Baltimore. We flew in from Cancun picked up our luggage to take through customs and then followed the signs to the location for re-checking the luggage. No one was at the re-check location all of us had to go upstairs and re-check our baggage at the regular ticket counter. Having said all this the prices aren't that much cheaper and after all the nickel and diming the cost is nearly the same as other airlines. We rather pay a bit more up-front and have more leg room free water/soda recline our seats not worry about being able to print boarding passes at our hotel and have an agent on-site for luggage re-checking after going through international customs.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I am sitting in a hotel room on Christmas Eve eating Chinese food due to the fact that two hours before departure Spirit cancelled the flight from ACY to RSW. They could not book anyone on another flight to Florida because they were apparently already booked solid for the next week. I have been a loyal Spirit customer in the past but will never fly with them again. Cancelling a flight on short notice Christmas eve is simply unconscionable.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit Airlines invites all passengers with pre paid carry on to board first so there is no way passengers won't get space above seats storage. I recently flew to Vegas from Philadelphia then Vegas to Oakland/SF then back few days later Vegas to Philadelphia. All of my flights were on time and arrived early.

Spirit Airlines customer review

My perplexing journey began when I sent a question to Spirits customer service the week before Thanksgiving I am still waiting for a response. I learned very quickly and painfully that if you want to choose a seat on the plane you do pay. If you want to bring a carry-on you do pay. If you want a drink you do pay. Another painful discovery I made on this journey is that they change prices on an apparent whim. When I went online to check in my bag the information said it would cost $25. When I finally got to the payment page there was a notice that the charge had increased to $27 due to the holiday but when I actually submitted my payment I was charged $30 for my checked bag. On the flight home the online charge for the same bag was upped to $40 - with no explanation. I also discovered that when some people bring food onto the plane rather than buying it on the plane the variety of smells can become nauseating. On the first flight the seat backs had been scavenge they had no padding or covering. The tray tables held one drink and one cup but I'm guessing that they don't get much use anyway since you have to pay $2.00 for water. Then when we arrived at the gate no one came to let us out. The captain eventually said that the gate people didn't know we were there. I guess they didn't recognize the large object parked on the runway outside their window. This is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. All-in-all experiencing Spirits “bait and switch” tactics I refuse to ever repeat that mistake.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]