Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

I booked a trip with Spirit because of the price and then read the reviews and was very scared. I couldn't have been more happily surprised! Our trip was completely excellent. The stewardesses were very professional. There was an inflight medical issue and they were fantastic. We were on time both ways in fact slightly early. No glitches anywhere. The seats were not small - we had better seats than previously on American they did recline and the headrests folded to where you could nap. We flew for less than half of other airlines including the cost for our bags. If you know going in that it's going to cost $25 for a carry on at the time of booking do it then! If you wait until check-in it's $35 and if you wait until you get to the airport surprise! - it's now $100. Pack light and you will know ahead of time that there are no complimentary snacks or drinks. We will fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit Airlines is of course the budget carrier in the US however I was slightly unaware when I booked through cheaptickets just how budget it was. The plane tickets were a few hundred dollars less for our international trip however we were charged to check our bags. We had to pay forty dollars per bag to get them to our destination and then on the way home we had to pay forty dollars a bag twice because Spirit decided the last flight of our trip home (same city we departed from) was a separate trip and we would have to pay a second time to get our bags all the way home. Couple this with the fact that they did not allow any online check in so we had to be at the airport two hours early as well as the fact that you do not even receive a seat assignment when purchasing a ticket you are basically a standby passenger. You have to buy seats just to sit with the person you are travelling with then if you don't want your knees jammed into the person in front of you you have to pay for a larger seat as well. Coming back from Peru we were not allowed to bring our own water on the plane and Spirit is the only carrier that charges for water so on a 6 hour flight we were only allowed to drink water if we purchased it from Spirit. After all was said and done the additional costs more than balanced out any savings we received at the beginning and we had a fair longer flight time and itinerary do to it originally "saving us money". No TVs or entertainment so you better have something on your laptop or phone although there will be nowhere to fit it on the plane and carry on baggage costs more than checked.

Spirit Airlines customer review

BWI to Cancun with a stop in Ft. Lauderdale return. They nickel and dime customers even checking in at the airport cost money. They charge for everything except a purse size personal item. Not even a cup of water. Seats don't recline and they say so they can add more seats to keep fares low but they are not low even higher than others after you pay all the fees. Flights were delayed attendants were ok but some were very rude. The checked bag can't be over 40lbs which is 10 less than other airlines. I will never travel this airline again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I had read the airline policies on baggage fees etc. and paid those while booking my ticket so no surprises there. I also upgraded to a larger front seat which was very roomy and reclined. The only surprise was how great the ticket agent was. I had booked a one way ticket to Peru I'm visiting friends and wasn't sure when I was coming home. When I checked in the agent informed me that Peru didn't allow one way tickets for foreign passport holders. After getting out of line I checked this information online and found out she was correct. I got back in line and the agent booked me a return flight without charging me the extra fee saying she understood the mix up. She also got me travel insurance in case I want to change the date for my return flight. My flight was delayed by one hour as where flights with several other airlines. Even with the extra fees and upgraded seat I still saved over the next cheapest airline so needless to say I am a very happy customer and will be using Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

If I could give this airline zero stars I would. When initially booking our trip Spirit beat the competitor by only a few dollars but what I didn't know was that when you arrived at the airport with a very tiny carry on bag they would charge you 50 dollars! It doesn't stop there when I received my itinerary on my phone and tried to check in online the website recommended early check in because in some cases having to talk with an attendant would cost 10 more dollars! Once we finally got on the plane the cheapest thing on the drink and food menu was coffee at the outrageous price of 2 dollars. Mixed nuts and a soft drink (free on every flight I have ever taken) were 5 dollars. The seats on the plane were the smallest I have seen. Stay far away from Spirit.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We probably will never fly this airline again. We were delayed due to weather. We would miss our connection and the airline could not do anything about that. They cannot book you on another airline (they just don't do that and other airlines do though). Because we opted not to fly out because we were going to our connection they could not get us anywhere else. The plane only flew out of PHL 3 times a day there are no other alternatives if you miss your flight or if your flight is delayed. They finally found us a plane out but it was 5 days later (what did they expect us to do? Camp out at the airport until then?). They told us our only alternative was to take that ticket or get a refund. Needless to say we took the refund and flew out on another airline. Also their luggage check fee is $40 each way - a lot more than any other airline. So where are the savings? Speaking in favor of the airline: their seats are comfy and you have leg room not cramped and it is sort of nice not having the attendants run up and down the aisle announcing drinks etc. They simply don't serve at all! They were very cordial at PHL even though they could not help us - it wasn't their fault the planes were delayed.

Spirit Airlines customer review

You think you're getting a great deal on flights until the night before when you go to check in. There you find that you have to pay $45 to carry on a bag both to and from per person. Not only that but hopefully you have a printer on hand because if you have to print at the airport it's an additional $10 per ticket. That doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. In the end we could have traveled with a more spacious airline without all the hassle and without an unexpected $180 charge.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We booked a trip to Chicago for June 23rd. When it was time to check in and print the boarding pass that's when we found out about all the extra charges. They not only charge you for a checked bag $40 per bag but charged $45 for our checked bag. We paid $25 to pick out each seat. If we hadn't done this online our boarding pass baggage check would've cost $100 each. On the return trip they tried to charge me $25 extra because they said my checked bag was overweight. Funny because there was nothing more in it that when I started the trip. The flight ended up costing $270 more than the cost of tickets. I had an unstable person behind me that dug his knees into my back for the entire trip. My flight cost $1065. with all the extra charges when initially I paid $796. for 2 round trip tickets. Never fly Spirit! You can't even get a glass of water without paying for it.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We booked a four-day trip to NYC. Got to the counter 45 minutes before flight. We couldn't print tickets at home and had trouble at the kiosk so our first surprise was $10 print fee per boarding pass. Second surprise was $47.50 for my husband's checked bag. Even though I had a carry-on the agent didn't mention there was a charge for this. We got a new employee who was training and it took her forever to process the boarding pass printing and checked bag. As we were walking away she said she forgot to charge us for the bag. She asked a co-worker how to call the gate because she didn't know how. I went ahead to the gate while my husband stayed to pay. About 15 minutes later I was called back to the counter. She had taken so long that the system released our tickets and they were given to standby customers. Even though it was 15 minutes before the flight we were told there was nothing they could do. There were already people in our seats. To make a long story short we spent over an hour trying to figure out all our options including buying new tickets on other airlines. The tickets on other airlines were too costly on short notice so we ended flying to Philadelphia on Spirit 7 hours later. Her error cost us an extra $115 for the train from Philly to NY. On our flight to Philly we learnt that I would also have to pay $50 for my carry-on. As we were boarding we were stopped because my boarding pass didn't show we paid for my carry-on. Even after we handed the gate agent our receipt for $97.50 for two bags she was still telling us the system didn't show we paid. Then she said I owed an additional $16. When we asked to speak to a supervisor he let us through. The additional baggage fees are ridiculous. These prices are so far off the industry standard that they should post the prices as part of the check out so the customer knows all fees up front.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Flight out of Las Vegas was supposed to leave at 9pm Sunday night to arrive in Oakland (1 hour flight) at 11.05pm. With flight delays false starting down the runway and delay in being able to open the door final landing time is still to be determined considering we are still on the plane in Oakland at 4.06 am. The attendants are completely unapologetic and seem frustrated. What they don't realize is that we have been at the airport since 8pm and it is now 4am.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]