Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

I traveled round trip from Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach a trip my son makes at least twice a year on Spirit. We would both highly recommend Spirit Airlines. Their fees were clearly outlined on their website when I was making the reservation and also in the multiple emails I received ahead of time. The service on the plane was excellent and both of my flights were on time if not early. My son's flights have consistently been on time as well. They're definitely bare bones as they advertise but nothing was hidden and their value can't be beat.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We flew from Detroit to Myrtle Beach the flight there was fine however the flight home the seats had crumbs and the tray tables had smeared food and were just plain awful. I brought the condition of our seats to the flight attendants attention and she said "if we can we will try to move you" needless to say she never come back to check on us or give us something to clean up with luckily I had wipes to clean the seats and the tray tables - I was thankful it was only a two hour flight. A very long two hours.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Sep 12 2014 Dallas/Ft. Worth TX - Chicago IL - O'Hare return Sep 14 2014. After looking at past reviews I was concerned that I had made a mistake. I'm pleasantly surprised to have been mistaken. The majority of the complaints I have seen are related to spirits pricing. I was well aware that I was purchasing a "bare fare" and exactly what this meant. For me it's not worth the additional fare charged by other airlines to have a "complimentary" snack and drink. I don't always require a larger carry-on so their fee for carry-on bags is no problem for me. I appreciate having the option to decide on a per/trip basis exactly what I wish to pay for. The remainder of the complaints appear to be regarding delays etc. I don't think these types of issues are unique to Spirit as I have experienced similar hassles on other airlines which charge higher fares. My flight out of Dallas was delayed (due to weather) and I received an email notifying me of the delay! No full-price airline has ever done this. This was a nice surprise. They also sent an email to my son who was picking me up as I had sent my itinerary to him from their site. Very helpful. The flight back was perfectly on time. The flight was great staff on both trips were courteous and as for space it did not feel any more cramped than other airlines. It's true the seats do not "recline" if that's what you call the meagre movement the other airlines provide. The bottom line for me is Spirit provided me with affordable transportation from point A to point B without the so-called frills. I would definitely consider flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

NK660 Sept 6th Kansas City to Chicago NK659 Sept. 10th. Chicago to Kansas City. I just completed my first round trip on Spirit Airlines and after reading the bad reviews I have to write about what a totally good experience I had. The counter staff were extremely helpful and courteous to help me understand the nuances that Spirit clearly states on their website. The pilots were professional the two A320's I flew on appeared to be in good condition and from my perspective were even comfortable. The flight cabin crews were welcoming and attentive to safety issues. I felt Spirit was good value.

Spirit Airlines customer review

In the past month I have flown with Spirit Airlines four times and not by choice. I am a freelance designer and my travel was arranged by the company I was working for. However I will never choose to travel with Spirit and strongly advise people to look elsewhere for a discounted fare. I understand the idea behind cutting amenities for a cheap ticket but that does not mean the aircraft has to be completely filthy. Every one of my eight flights were delayed and twice I was stranded overnight and left to my own devices to find lodging for the night. I have never experienced more deplorable customer service. Every single employee behind the Spirit counter looked and acted as though they would rather be shoving bamboo under their fingernails than helping anyone arrange flights or seating. It was so ludicrous at one point I honestly thought I was on a hidden camera show. This was not just one airport it was at every airport I have been to.

Spirit Airlines customer review

LAX to San Jose Costa Rica with a layover in Ft. Lauderdale. The worst experience on all fronts. Checked-in at the counter as I wasn't sure if my bag was one that I would have to pay for. He told me that as long as I put my purse in my carry-on and only had one item I would be fine. I showed him my bag and he confirmed that I would not be charged for it. However when boarding in Ft. Lauderdale I was stopped by one of their employees who asked me if I paid for my bag. I told her no she asked me if I had used the overhead compartment on my way there and I said yes. She informed me that if I planned to use an overhead bin then I would need to pay them $100 immediately or I would not be able to bring my bag on my flight. I ended up paying the $100 in order to board my flight and I was made to feel like the whole thing was my fault - it was terrible. On the way back home my friend and I decided to go online the night before as we were told that if we pay online we only have to pay $30. When we went to pay their website told us that we were not eligible to make payments at that time. So we still ended up having to pay $50 at the airport check in. Even if that baggage fiasco hadn't happen this flight still would have been awful. The seats are the airline equivalent of plastic picnic chairs and you have to pay for water (even if your flight is 5hrs long). Coming home from San Jose after going through security my friend decided to fill her plastic water bottle so that she could have a little for the flight. Before boarding they announced that they were going to re-search our bags and that we would have to dump out all liquids that we were carrying my friend didn't think that they would actually prevent her from bringing airport water on to the flight but when they checked her bag they told her she either had to dump it or chug it. She chugged it. It is clear that every thing Spirit does is an extra attempt to take more money from you. I understand that they offer affordable flights but it is not worth all of the extra out-of-pocket cash and stress that they cause. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I am pretty mixed about Spirit Airlines. They don't support Military or Elderly discounts so me being Military going home on leave I had to spent a lot of money for four bags. That was horrible and then they "nickel and dime" you for everything and anything extra. The seats weren't all that pleasant when it came to comfort but they were more spacious than other airlines surprisingly. I did get to my destination on time and I got all my luggage. Overall I would not recommend this airline.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Detroit to Lima with my husband and 3 year old baby good service employees were nice. When I returned I did have 2 changes in my itinerary but was a nice experience. I will use this airline again. No food and beverages but we took food in our carry-on bag. No Inflight Entertainment but I took my baby's DVD player for keep him busy. We did exactly what they requested and we didn't have to pay any extra money.

Spirit Airlines customer review

How is this airline in business? Low airfare attracts people who travel with children and there were lots of them on my flight. New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale 5 hours late. Concessions at the airport had been closed on our concourse for 4 hours by the time the airplane arrived. The staff would not even give the kids a drink of water unless mom or dad shelled out $3 bucks. There is a difference between being a discount no frills airline and a cheap one. Spirit is just cheap. So if you like flying with people that have five kids they do not control if you like missing connecting flights or arriving very late by all means fly Spirit. You will not see me there. And by the way no matter what the staff will always tell you the delay is "weather" related.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I traveled from Ft Lauderdale to Detroit and the flight was fine uncomfortable airplane but for the price what can you do. On the way back to Fort Lauderdale the flight was delayed for 3 hours? I will never flight with Spirit again even with free tickets!

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]