Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

I'm sitting on my plane waiting now 40 minutes for take off to Los Angeles from Las Vegas. The flight is 56 minutes total but I've been waiting 40 minutes because of a delay and I understand that. But why can't I get water while I wait? The attendants on this plane refused me water twice when I asked. I just want to get home already and I'm dehydrated!

Spirit Airlines customer review

Horrible service poor customer service. The stewards and stewardess that were on flight Houston TX to Los Angeles California on March 20 2015 - 3.24pm were awful. There were too many hidden fees. Will never travel with you again. Too many charges for simple nuts and water.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I am sitting in the boarding area as I write this review. Spirit has succeeded in overbooking a flight to Tampa for the Easter weekend. My family purchased these tickets last August (2014). We had hoped to have a great Spring Break with the kids. Now my family of 4 is being bumped to tomorrow. This is unbelievable and unacceptable. I would never ever fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Cancun-DFW flight 0748 on 3/29/15 DFW-Denver flight 0719 on 3/29/15. I felt Spirit was OK in general but they still hide fees. After decades of flying certain processes seem to be second nature for most travelers and you tend to assume things will be familiar however Spirit makes baggage and seat assignments more costly than you would think even if you read all the 'fine print'. While I picked the cheapest option for checked baggage nowhere did I see that Spirit's weight limit is 40 pounds per bag or about 20% less than the industry standard of 50 pounds. This resulted in bigtime overweight charges on all of my family's bags. The seat assignment fee was a bigger surprise. You assume that choosing 'better' seats will cost more (up front more legroom first class) but Spirit did not let me select seats until we were confirming within 24 hours of our flights and only then did it became apparent that you have to pay for any seat that you want assigned! So if you want your family of five all together and not spread around randomly you need to pay for each and every seat even if it is the poorest seat on the plane! You have to pay for every leg and pay the rate for whatever seats are left which might be the most expensive on the plane. So for the family of 5 on a connecting flight you could pay $400 or more to just get the privilege of sitting together.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Booked through a well known agency online for a extended weekend from Phila to Myrtle Beach SC. After reading everything on website about 40 lb weight requirement minimal size carry on paying and picking own seats printing out the boarding passes we already thought the cheaper flight was not worth the aggravation! Only to drive 1.5 hrs to Phila Airport to find out the flight was cancelled without any notification no apology or little assistance on getting another flight as TSA watched us during the ordeal I would never recommend this airline to anyone. The lower upfront cost is deceitful when you start adding in the "etxras" seat price boarding pass price luggage. Their lack of customer service and compassion on the loss of vacation and money made the whole ordeal worse. I would never fly Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines customer review

I will never fly Spirit Airlines again. Their motto is "You only pay for the services you use" but what they actually mean is "You pay a deceptively low price when you purchase your ticket and then we charge you for everything that everyone uses in sneaky ways that therefore make your flight more expensive than any other airline." Want to print your boarding pass at the airport? $10.00. Want a water on the plane? $5.00. Want to check a bag on the plane? The cheapest that gets is $30 for the first bag and $40 for the second bag but that is only if you can figure out how to sign up online to check bags ahead of time. If you register for checked bags at the airport it now costs $50 per bag. Oh and there is no such thing as a carry-on bag for this airline. If it is bigger than a backpack you have to check it. And if they fail to tell you that your backpack is too big to be considered a "personal item" and make you check the bag at the gate? Now it costs $100. If you call their customer service to help you jump through all of these ridiculously complicated hoops you will be on hold for 20 minutes followed by a conversation with a person who refers you to their website where you have already been trying unsuccessfully to register an account. Then when you tell them that they will "lose the connection" even though you are calling them from a land line. Which would be understandable if it didn't happen twice from two separate phones. They have gotten their last dollar out of me.

Spirit Airlines customer review

The flight was 3 hours late due to snow in Chicago. I can live with that. What I won't accept is that once we landed we sat waiting for a gate for over an 1.5 hours. Then after a number of excuses the stewardess tells us that we better put our seat belts on or it will be our fault we don't get to the gate first. The 100 bucks I saved flying Spirit wasn't worth the time I lost. I could have almost driven back from Denver to Chicago in the time I spent waiting for the plane waiting for a gate and than waiting for my luggage with Spirit. When we finally got to where the gates were we saw plenty of them open. Could it be that Spirit only has 1 or 2 gates at O'Hare? The stewardess kept telling us all the airlines were waiting. I don't care about the other airlines I just cared about the one I was on.

Spirit Airlines customer review

CHI to DEN. Stay away from this airline. The seats hurt no comfort at all. Even a 2 hour flight was hard for me. No matter what seat you end up in your done for. Aisle seat everyone will bump in to you middle seat your not going to move and the window don't even think about getting out to go to the bathroom. The service was bad as well they tried to push their credit card the whole flight. Pay the extra money to fly somewhere else.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I have traveled around the world and back used many airlines in the process. The flight I took on March 9th with 2 other friends was the worst. We all took what would be acceptable as carryon's. Not realizing that the size you consider as a carryon is a lunch box. Arriving at the security gate the person there told my other 2 travelers that both their bags were not considered carry-on's and had to go to the desk to pay for them. That same lady told me that mine was acceptable to carry on the plane. I waited for them and they were told that if I had purchased the carry-on bag online the fee would have been $30.00. Not doing that they were charged $45.00. When I arrived at the gate to board I was stopped and told I had to pay for my bag. After telling them of my experience at the security gate they were quite rude and didn't care. Now because I didn't pay on-line or at the security gate I was told the fee was $100. Again insane for a duffle bag that could actually fit under my seat! We not only paid $190 more for luggage going but we paid online another $90 coming back. We went from Fort Lauderdale to Las Vegas and back for a total of $1003.00 for 3 of us. I could have gone US Airways for under $900. The plane was uncomfortable very cramped and dirty. They even charge you $2.00 for a cup of coffee anyone who flies knows how small that cup of coffee is. We did get the water for free after we made a fuss about it.

Spirit Airlines customer review

At first the service was nice because they did not charge extra for our luggage but then everything went downhill. The flight was first delayed by an hour and later three hours and then cancelled. We were sent out of the terminal to get our "new" tickets to other airlines but no one knew what they were doing. We stood for two hours in a line that did not move and no one could help us. Every other airline would've let us keep the same tickets. Then after two hours we left and booked new flights on the next day on a different airline of course. No real service 1.5 stars is too much for this airline.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]