Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

I made reservations from Detroit to Oakland with a stop-off in Las Vegas without checking online reviews because I had no suspicions and had never been particularly finicky about airlines as long as the flight got me to my destination. I read the reviews and like many people I came to the airport full of trepidation because of all these negative comments. I printed out my boarding pass and purchased optional seats (the cheapest that I could see online but maybe next time I'll just waive that and try getting free seat assignments) and arranged my one check-in bag online in advance. Still I was worried that the flight would be delayed or worse yet somehow cancelled for days. Well the upshot is that everything worked out just fine and I actually enjoyed it. The check-in was simple it turned out that my bag weighed 39.9 pounds just barely saving me from paying an extra $25. I also had a medium-size "personal item" bag which was free. The seats on my two Spirit flights that day were large enough for me a 6-foot tall male. The number of seats per row was no more than I've seen on any other airlines going that distance so I can't understand where all the complaining about cramped seats comes from. The seats on the first flight looked a bit worn but nonetheless clean and comfortable so no big deal to me. Both Spirit flights left on time and arrived even a bit early compared to the reservation times which was great. There was no food or drinks served which was just fine with me because I never order anything anyhow and didn't especially need the generic small cup of coke and bag of peanuts on such journeys. The whole time the staff were friendly and spoke clearly. I admittedly didn't have any special needs but to the extent that they were performing their expected duties I saw nothing amiss. I was also on the lookout for other passengers having problems and yet saw nothing come up from start to end. The steward on the Vegas-Oakland stretch was like a stand-up comic in his announcements to the audience which was actually quite amusing. Very memorable. Seriously I had a perfectly good time and everything went smoothly. I kept wanting to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming because I was so impressed at my positive experience compared to the online reviews.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit is the biggest rip off. They sell you a cheap ticket and then you have to pay for everything else. $50 for the first bag and also for the bag that goes in the overhead compartment too. They charge for your seat. The website is terrible and you cannot find a phone number to call and speak to someone to get help. I just cancelled my $9 club fee and my Spirit Airline card. I recommend everyone to use Southwest Airlines. They allow you 2 free check bags and one carry on. And you don't have to pay for the seat you sit in. I just saved $360 in baggage fees and seat fees compared to Spirit. They also give you snacks and a free non-alcoholic beverage.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I am done with this airline. My last few flights with them were delayed hours on end (1 hour and 8 hour delay due to mechanical failure one 6 hour delay supposedly due to weather though all other flights coming from the area my flight was on time another 2.5 hour delay for mechanical issues). The managers are rude and the customer service is non-existent. I would not fly with Spirit again if they gave me a ticket. I told them they need to change the name of their airline to Misery because that is what you have to go through time and again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

This airline offers a low teaser rate and then overcharges the naive 1st time flyer by various deceptive means. They are trying to stick me with a charge of $295 for a trip I could have made on any reputable airline for $180. I was socked $50 for carry on at airport but told by agent If I had prepaid it would have been less. The night before my return I tried to register on their site and had to pay $36 for baggage +fee for boarding pass $9.00 membership fee. Flight was hr late coming and 30 mins late on return. I would never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We booked a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to La Guardia and arrived an hour early. We tried to check in using the self serve kiosk which malfunctioned 3 times. When it finally took our information it printed a time stamped slip that said we needed to see an agent. Our slip was time stamped at 6.20 am and our flight departed at 7.04 am. When we finally found an attendant she was not helpful rude and directed us to a long line of angry customers. After waiting in line the agent informed us that Spirit "closes" flights 45 minutes prior to departure and that our time stamped slip was 1 minute past their "cut off". We explained that the kiosks had malfunctioned 3 times causing our delay and that we had arrived an hour early. She had absolutely no regard for our situation was extremely rude and unwilling to take any responsibility for their equipment causing our delays. We asked for a supervisor which took 40 minutes. The supervisor told us the best she could do was charge us well over $200 more per ticket to book us on the next flight almost 6 hrs later! We couldn't wait the six hours and asked for a refund when told that other airlines had earlier flights. We went to JetBlue where we had a completely different experience as soon as we walked in. They were extremely friendly apologized for our experience (which Spirit never did) and booked us on an earlier flight. Due to the situation and having to book new flights at the last minute prices were much higher than if we would have just booked with them to begin with. If you're considering this airline because of the attractive pricing believe me it's not worth the hassle!

Spirit Airlines customer review

Worst experience I've had with an airline. I thought I was getting a good deal for price but did not expect to be charged for carry-on's $50 a piece! So in the end flight is not cheaper than other airlines. In addition flight was cancelled in Chicago (flying from Oakland CA to Mlps MN). I ended up driving with 3 others on the Spirit flight from Chicago to MINN. We were told they would reimburse leg we did not take but have not heard anything from them regarding this and its been a week! Now waiting for my return flight home and both planes have been delayed (out of MN and Chicago) and likely I will be stuck in Chicago again. Would never take this airline again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I've flown Spirit a few times and although it is not my favorite it has sufficed because the flights are not that expensive. Today however was a completely different story. As we are pulling out of the gate (20 minutes late) the flight attendant tells us that the belt that carries the bags to the plane has broken so all of our bags couldn't get on the plane but reassures us they will be flown on another aircraft. Once I arrive at my destination I see that I and 85% of the people on my flight had no luggage. Once confronting Spirit about the problem the workers moved very slow and showed no sympathy or care for the problem. They could care less whether I got my bags or not. Most people on my flight had a connecting flight some where else but had no bags to make that happen. I got no guarantee about when I would receive my luggage so now I sit here with hardly any clothes or a toothbrush and do not know when I will have them.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Worst airline! 2 hour delay leaving Houston arrived in Vegas at almost 2 am and still had to wait almost 30 minutes before bags were available. Horrible very inconsiderate of customers.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I have absolutely no intentions of flying with Spirit Airlines in the future. Yes the price was much better than other airlines however the overall trip was not worth it. I should have changed my mind after I saw their website. It looked like something my 2nd grader did for a class project. The site did not include a phone number either. I had to get the number through CheapoAir which is the site through which I booked the trip. The seats did not recline (not even an inch). Those 'big seats' they mention are only a little larger than the average seat. The food selection was very limited and costly ($3 for water). $50 for checked or carry-on (yes you have to pay for a carry-on). This is $50 both ways. I will admit the crew were very funny and nice. But not funny enough to get me to fly with them again. By the way my trip was from Philadelphia to Dallas.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I have flown Spirit for many years always taking my handbag and a small backpack on board. This was never a problem. On a recent trip I was told that my handbag was a separate item and that there would be a charge of $50 to take my backpack (or handbag!) on the plane. Enough with the nickel and diming! I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]