Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

My family of 4 traveled for the third time with Sprit from Dallas to Los Angeles. For the third time we had a great experience. Staff have always been very cordial and helpful. On our latest trip we had a storm while we were gone that required us to come home a day early. After thinking we might need to pay hundreds of dollars to change our flight they ultimately allowed us to move our flight up a day for a minimal change fee. In addition to Spirit going the extra mile to help us out the whole experience was great. The plane seats and interior appeared new and clean the seats don't recline which while maybe being less uncomfortable for you you also don't have the person in front of you invading your space. With Spirit if you understand that they are a pay for each service airline and read the fee lists you can fly for a lot cheaper than other airlines without being blindsided by a surprise fee. We flew for nearly half the price of the next airline. If only they flew out of OKC.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Thought I got a good deal on tickets until I paid for luggage! One average size suitcase and one carryon cost nearly the same as the ticket. Total deception and run around on pricing. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Round trip on Spirit with one-way duration of 3 hours. The reason I chose Spirit Airline was price. On the outbound trip I had to pay $45 because my suitcase was 0.5 inch wider than their measurement. This suitcase has been used all the time for carry-on baggage with many different airlines never with any problems. Once on board the flight attendants one male and one female never smiled. Neither did they provide a single complimentary drink not even tap water for 3+ hours. They simply force you to buy their merchandise. Before the end of the trip the do-not-know-how-to-smile male attendant made three announcements to urge travelers to sign up Spirit credit card and how many benefits you would get with those cards all within half an hour. On my return trip things get worse. Though I gave away my half-an-inch-larger suitcase to avoid the $45 fee and my stuff in a plastic bag fits well in the free personal item measurement. The Spirit gatekeeper insisted I pay $100 for my things by calling out to close the gate - he knows perfectly well the mentality of a weary traveler and he hits them right on spot. I was the last one there trying to avoid this $100 expenditure out of nowhere. But I don't want to be left behind so I gave in. On board again not a single drop of complimentary water. At least this time the flight attendants smiled. They simply paraded with an empty trash bag to walk back and forth. In summary extra $145 expenditure for nothing complimentary except air and one smile. That is called Spirit - an ironic title.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I guess you get what you pay for but this is one of the worst airlines I've ever flown. This summer we flew Spirit Airlines from Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach. We get to the airport 2 hours early like they recommend but really there was no rush because the flight was 2 hours late. One of the airport workers at Philadelphia said she wasn't surprised Spirit is always late. So finally after 2 hours of waiting the plane gets to Philadelphia and after unloading passengers we board. The seats were tiny vinyl narrow non-reclining and claustrophobia inducing. They were dirty along with the seat tray in front of me. Anything extra like drinks cost $3 which is a complete rip-off. I'm surprised they didn't charge you to go to the bathroom too I mean they charge you for every other ridiculous thing. I would never fly with this "airline company" again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I just booked my third round-trip flight from San Diego to Portland Oregon. Rt 89.00. I don't take any luggage and go with standard seating. The flight is direct 2.5 hrs. All personnel were very attentive. Three day trip to see my new granddaughter. No entertainment but I bring my tablet.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I flew Spirit during the holidays from Chicago to Phoenix. I can appreciate that delays happen especially given the holidays and the winter weather. However how they handled it was horrible. We boarded on time and were asked to immediately turn off our phones half an hour goes by and we are told that we are waiting on the pilot. Another 20 mins and still waiting and now we need to de-ice the plane. An hour has gone by and still waiting for pilot. Another half hour pilot has arrived but now one of the de-ice trucks has broken down. If anyone even looked at our phones to suggest we might turn it on staff would immediately scold us to turn it off. Not one drink was offered for that 2 hour delay. Once we did get in the air they did start cabin service but no complimentary water. To top it all off they did not update their website on our delay and since they would never let us use our phones our loved ones had to wait in confusion at the airport. They are not less expensive. They are charging you for everything so you really are spending the same amount of money as a normal airline as opposed to this "low fare" company. It is not worth it. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Feb 16 2014 I am in Las Vegas stranded. Flight was scheduled for noon. Got here 2 hours early as recommended my flight was delayed due to mechanical issues until 4.41 now looking at 5.41. No email was sent to advise me of the delay. No help at all. I will have been here 8 hours with nobody to help us. They cannot even tell me if the plane is in the sky. Can't wait to see what happens. They have me stuck here and nobody wants to tell me anything or even apologize.

Spirit Airlines customer review

My job requires that I travel almost weekly and have flown almost all of the major domestic airlines. Yes they do not offer the amenities of some of the other airlines I prefer the half the cost of the economy rate. As far as the lack of reclining and distance between the rows. I am a big man I prefer the extra width of the Airbus 320 seats and not having the room I do have between the rows invaded by the person in front of me feeling the urge to lay down at the expense of others. As far as the baggage fees when checking in goes I prefer that as opposed to waiting extra time in line for someone to pay for their checked bags. I only take my computer bag on the plane with me. I prefer putting the bag in the overhead instead of under the seat in front of me to make more room for my feet. I will gladly pay for exit row seating as well as my $5 snack & drink. Still much cheaper than the rest of the airlines.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I initially thought this flight was a steal a full $150 less then competing airlines. Then come the costs for carry on vs a packed bag then there comes a seat charge. On top of that our flight left 1 hour late because of a "crew rest." Ok this is understandable I guess but Spirit should of notified me. Then we waited an extra 30 minutes because a flight attendant was late. The final straw our seats smelt. I thought Delta was the worst airline but Spirit is a strong competitor.

Spirit Airlines customer review

You get what you pay for! A seat. Not a leather seat a tiny vinyl narrow non-reclining claustrophobia inducing square foot of space. Nothing else. No music movie drinks snacks or food at all unless you want to pay $3 for a can of soda and a cup of ice. The plane departed on time if not early and landed early both to and from Logan (Boston) to Myrtle Beach. I have flown a lot and the landings on both of my flights with Spirit were the best I've experienced remarkable in icy rain conditions returning to Boston late Thursday night. Flight attendants were excellent. Loaded back passengers first middle and then front from Logan which made for smooth and easy process. Attendants were very attentive to passengers with special needs and children. I would recommend Spirit for what it is no frills low fare flying at its best. Bags were at baggage claim incredibly quickly both times!

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]