Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

June 2 2015. Spirit emails everyone about delays and gate changes but not about cancelled flights! My husband and I checked in got our boarding passes and waited at the gate only to be told that our flight was cancelled. We had to go back to ticketing get our flights changed get new boarding passes retrieve our luggage from baggage claim go through TSA again and waited at our gate. This flight was 3 hours delayed!! Yes it was a cheap flight. Yes I paid for baggage check-in. I never expected Spirit to be so inconsiderate about the first cancellation. Everyone in line with us waited for the emails but did not get them. Plus ticketing agents were clueless about the cancellations. Very sad. Very poor operations.

Spirit Airlines customer review

The only reason my wife and I booked with Spirit is that they are the only airline offering 95 minute non-stop flights from Philly to Myrtle Beach. All other airlines have connecting flights with 4-5 hour travel times. The low fare was a bonus. We arrived at 5am for our 7.30am departure to find out that the flight was cancelled without explanation and with no assistance. We later found out that Spirit will arbitrarily and without warning cancel flights when they don't have enough seats sold. We and the other 100+ passengers needed to scramble to find seats with other airlines which were mostly sold out.
Seat Comfort N/A

Spirit Airlines customer review

I flew Spirit Airlines over the weekend and it was the worst experience I have had while flying. The inflight service was horrible no complimentary water nuts or anything. The lowest price was $2 for a tiny cup of coffee or tea. No in-flight entertainment to speak of aside from listening to unhappy customers grumbling and the baby behind me screaming. Absolutely no legroom and I'm a pretty average sized 21-year-old woman. The seats didn't recline not that I would have wanted to lay in the lap of the poor mother behind me. Then I was charged $50 for my carry-on twice after I was told that it would cover all legs of my travel from Portland to Cancun. None of the people employed with the airline were helpful in any way or even seemed to know what was going on half the time. On the last leg on my return flight from Cancun Chicago O'Hare to Portland as well as two others flights were cancelled after being delayed for over two hours. I was not given a reason for this cancellation until I was told by other passengers that the flight staff from the Portland flight and Vegas flight had been pulled to the Houston flight. After that all three planes worth of people went to the desk to try and get refunded for at least the leg that was cancelled or maybe a voucher for a hotel room for the night. I stood in that line from 11.30pm to about 2.30 or 3am. After bonding with many people over mutual disgust of Spirit Airlines I found out that some people had been waiting to get to Portland or Vegas since their flights were first cancelled on May 28th. It was now the 31st. That took care of my idea to just re-book with them for a morning flight to Portland. Next I heard that the vouchers they were giving people for hotels were useless. When I finally got up to the counter the woman was very hard to understand she mumbled so much. At that point I had been up for 40 hours plus and I think people could still understand me pretty well. Overall I feel like I wasted my time and money. I wish I had just paid more for a Delta flight.

Spirit Airlines customer review

This is the worst airline I've been on! This company is very poorly managed. The airline nickles and dimes you for everything. Be careful to read everything before you book because they charge extra to reserve a seat which by the way are uncomfortable and do not even recline. With the exception of 1 employee that I encountered they are not friendly people. None of the flight attendants seemed to like their jobs. None of the employees seem to know their jobs. Our flight departed 3 hours late. Then when the plane couldn't land at our destination because of bad weather they took us to another destination. OK anyone that has flown understands that these things happen. But the attitudes of the workers and the lack of communication made this a horrible experience. We were stranded for almost 7 hours after we were told that ground transportation was being supplied to get us to our destination. What should have been a 3-hour trip turned into an 18-hour ordeal. I will never fly on this airline again.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Spirit is mercenary and anything but a bargain. I flew from Denver to Chicago not that it matters where you fly with them and my apparent "bargain" $140 fare became: $140 fare + $45 each way checked bag ($90) + $45 each way carry-on bag ($90) 140 + 90 + 90= $320. Not a bargain at all! I could have flown a "real" airline that doesn't charge extra for everything including water! The seats didn't recline on the A319 I flew on both ways and the attendants were like robots. My advice is not to even consider Spirit.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Flight 377 5/13/15 out to Vegas. Flight 340 5/27/15 back to Latrobe. We flew Spirit to Las Vegas from Latrobe PA. Great price free parking and we enjoyed the whole experience. It was a great trip and we did not care about the fees for seat reservations or checked bag fees.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Flight 921 left 5/30. I booked with Spirit because I thought it was going to be a cheaper flight only to find out after booking they charge for carry on checked bag and even choosing your seat! Are you kidding me! For my wife and myself I had to pay an additional $286 plus I though joining the $9 club for an additional $59 would save. I can honestly say I will never fly Spirit again! I advise everyone to consider booking with another airline. Be aware of the additional costs! This it was I call very deceiving.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I fly every week and the Spirit flight times are convenient. I got claustrophobic in the tiny seats so I tried to upgrade to an aisle seat. The website messed up and first charged me for two seat upgrades then stuck me in the back window seat anyway. On the return trip it showed me seated in a big front seat. Then when I printed off the boarding pass I was stuck in a back window seat again! I went to the gate and was told there was nothing they could do on the (already delayed) flight. I tried calling customer service and going on the website but could not get through to customer service at all. Is this how they treat their frequent flyers? I may have to bite the bullet and spend the extra money for Delta because I do not trust Spirit!

Spirit Airlines customer review

I chose Spirit Airlines because they were the only ones that had a direct flight on the days I needed to fly. The price was good so I thought it was a good deal. Little did I know that my bags one checked and one carry on cost more than my round trip ticket! The departure flight left late was overbooked and the seatbelt on my seat was broken so instead of boarding in the first group I was asked to wait until the end to board and see what seat might be left. So at that point we are over an hour late from the original take off time. I did finally get a seat but I was the last one to board the plane. Then the return flight 6 days later. Of course there was a problem. We boarded on time which I thought was great. Then after sitting at the gate for 20 minutes the announcement came that we were unloading because there was no crew to fly the plane! Another hour plus delay waiting for a crew. The we got on the plane again with quit a few empty seats. I was in a seat with two screaming kicking children behind me. Prior to take off some people had moved into the empty seats towards the middle of the plane and were told to move back to their original seats because the plane was loaded according to weight. I intended to ask a flight attendant if I could move to an empty seat as soon as I saw one and surprise surprise I did not see one attendant throughout the whole flight! I will never fly Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines customer review

We just returned from a trip to Cabo San Lucas from San Diego on Spirit Airlines and we will never fly Spirit Airlines again! To begin with their website is probably the most poorly designed website I have ever seen. You may find a cheaper ticket to wherever you are going - but check the fine print! You must pay for baggage including carry on and it is not cheap. Nothing is free when you fly - you pay for water soda snacks - they give you nothing! There is no entertainment and the flight attendants are about as useless as hang nails. Our flight home was delayed 3 hours the customer service at the ticket counters are not very helpful - its a good thing we enjoyed our week in Cabo because getting there and returning home was a nightmare! The seats in this airplane were disgustingly dirty old and torn - do yourself a favor - never fly Spirit!

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]