Southwest Airlines

"I love Southwest"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Dallas. My sister and I were returning to Dallas. There had been some delays or flight changes. We checked in separately. When the staff discovered what was going on with our flight, YALL, he RAN to get my sister’s bag from the console so he could place us on the same flight (avoiding the delay). He was so kind and didn’t have to do that. I have NEVER had a rep RUN to assist me, that’s called customer service. Later, a pleasant young lady educated me on the Clear check in as an option to have for quicker future travel. I love Southwest!
RouteAtlanta to Dallas
Date FlownJuly 2022

"lack of communication and delay"

Trip Verified | Our flight was delayed about 3 hours and we didn’t leave Orlando until after 1am… not the end of the world but there were no representatives giving us any updates on the status of our flight but just a gate monitor showing our flight getting more and more delayed which was kind of frustrating. It would have been nice to see better communication from Southwest employees so I knew why the plane was delayed and if I should expect it to be cancelled or not. At one point during my long wait at the gate, they started boarding another flight that wasn’t supposed to leave until 2 hours after ours so that was frustrating as well. I just felt like my flight was forgotten about until 1am. On the bright side, I got into the A boarding group without paying extra for reserved check-in despite it being a full flight. The crew was very nice, the seats were fairly comfortable, and I got a variety of free snacks as well as a free drink. Entertainment was available on the Southwest app and WiFi was available for purchase. If it weren’t for the lack of communication and delay, I would give Southwest 10/10. I would recommend them as long as you book a flight that isn’t at night because it will most likely get delayed due to summer thunderstorms or staffing shortages and you may not get home until the following day.
AircraftB737-700
RouteOrlando to Denver

"condescending customer service"

Not Verified | Atlanta to La Guardia. On Monday, July 25th, 2022, my daughter and I were returning home from Atlanta to NYC (LaGuardia) via Southwest Airlines. First time ever using them. We arrive at the airport at 4AM for a 6:10AM flight. After going through TSA and sitting at the gate for a while, our flight was cancelled with no announcement or warning. My daughter happened to look up and see on the gate TV screen the words “CANCELLED”. The gate personnel were gone and I was left to 1) calm my daughter’s nerves because she has never experienced this before 2) calm my own nerves as I suffered from severe anxiety and my meds were in my checked bag and 3) try to figure out what to do next. Keep in mind, I booked the early morning flight because I had to be home by 9:30am to take over the babysitting duties of my two other children so that my wife could go to work. So that was my first thing to address, finding last minute child care. I then get an email confirming that my flight was indeed cancelled (no explanation as to why) and I was put on the 8:25 PM plane to LGA later that night. So now the next steps were to find out what happened to our checked bags and what to do for 14 hours till my flight with pretty much no money left for my daughter and I to find a hotel (I mean we’re taking a low budget airline. I’m a stay-at-home dad living on my wife’s income. Go figure). 14 hours later with our bags in NY before we are even on a plane, we get to the departing gate for our rescheduled 8:25pm flight and of course it’s DELAYED. 9:10pm is the new departure time. Then it’s pushed back to 10PM!!! Once on the plane, only water and a snack was offered to us (soda, coffee and alcohol were no longer an option). Once at LaGuardia, we then had to find our checked bags. My pre-arranged airport pick-up, no longer available. The line for a taxi, extremely long. My daughter and I jumped on a city bus to take us to Manhattan so that we could take a taxi to the Bronx. $30 dollars I couldn’t afford to spend charged to my credit card. Long story short, got to the airport at 4AM and after an anxiety inducing day/afternoon, my daughter and I get home at 2am in the morning. Fast forward to today. I call Southwest customer service to 1) get an explanation and 2) find out how Southwest can make things right for me so that I can continue using them in the future (again, this was my first ever experience with them). The agent informed me that the first flight was canceled due to weather and that the rescheduled flight was delayed due to air traffic control issues, so we were not entitled to compensation. 1) I never once said on the call I wanted to be compensated so that was quite an assumption and 2) was then told after reiterating everything I went through “would you have preferred that we put you on an unsafe flight?” I mean WOW!!!!! What a “great” condescending customer service response. To the Southwest rep that hopefully reads this (and yes, I will be posting this on MULTIPLE review sites and social media), I shall NEVER fly Southwest again and will voice my displeasure to anyone who asks me about my experience with Southwest. PS- My family and I had an issue with JetBlue a few years ago and their customer service was the TOTAL OPPOSITE of what I experienced with Southwest. Very warm, helpful and their actions showed that I was a valued customer.
RouteAtlanta to La Guardia
Date FlownJuly 2022

"never travel with this horrible airline again"

Trip Verified | Second flight couldn't be bothered to wait 10 minutes due to my plane having mechanical issues. Got stranded in Denver for the night. They wouldn't let me get my bag even though I had my cat with me. Lost my bag and sent it to Las Vegas. All I got was $400 in travel vouchers which are worthless to me since I would never travel with this horrible airline again. I was told lie after lie about what needs to be done and was given the runaround for hours.
RouteDallas to Tucson
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Southwest is very unprofessional"

Not Verified | Good prices and nice perk with the free checked bag. I’ve flown Southwest multiple times solely because of price and you get what you pay for. I never had a flight from Southwest on schedule. Always a delay or changing gates last minute. Seats are uncomfortable and most of the time the staff is rude. One time they “couldn’t find the pilot” and delayed us for three hours. I recommend spending the extra money and flying with another airline. Southwest is very unprofessional
RouteOklahoma to Phoenix
Date FlownJuly 2022

"allow active duty members to board with class"

Trip Verified | I am a military active duty member. All other airlines allow active duty members to board with class A or first. I was not able to board the flight until everyone from class A boarded first.
RouteColumbus to Baltimore
Date FlownJuly 2022

"left us stranded in Amarillo for 2 days"

Trip Verified | Southwest left us stranded in Amarillo for 2 days. We finally had to buy United Airline tickets $1,200 to get back home. Southwest offered us $175 refund Southwest is so disappointing. Don’t let their prices fool you. You get what you pay for. Totally unreliable
RouteDallas to Panama City, FL

"deceptive customer service"

Not Verified | Bad deceptive customer service. Used a travel fund of $20 from a previous flight against a new flight. Paid an additional $150. One day later got covid and had to cancel. But the entire $170 credit now has an expiration date of just a few days - because the old original $20 travel fund would have expired in just a few days. That's not right. The $150 I just paid should have a new expiration date, and not be stuck with the old. Called customer service. She wouldn't budge. It's my problem, I suppose. Shame on you Southwest.
RouteSan Jose to Burbank
Date FlownMay 2022

"Southwest stole 2 days of them"

Not Verified | Tried to get a nonstop, cancelled that months ago. Cancelled my connecting flight while I was in the air, rerouted with another connection. Every flight delayed due to weather or crew availability. Left home at 7am arrived destination 1am for what should have been a 2.5 hour flight. Lost the bags, took another 24 hours to get bags from when they went missing. We really appreciated the tag on the bag saying sorry for the inconvenience. I work hard for a living, 5 day vacation, Southwest stole 2 days of them. if you are understaffed don't continue to book flights. I will understand that and drive next time.
RouteProvidence to Orlando

"poor management"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Orlando. I booked a flight for my family of 9 to depart on June 29 at 9am and when we get to the airport awaiting to be boarded, they announced the flight is canceled at 8:30am. A few minutes later, they arranged the passengers to either call or wait in line to the customer counter to have flight rearrange. The reason that was given the flight was cancelled is that weather in Orlando is bad enough for they now allowing flights to come in (which is a super stupid and big lie). And it was just that I searched the internet to see that over 1000 of their pilots are picketing and I believe this is the true reason and they just not willing to admit that and unwilling to cut low on their flights to accommodate this. Instead, my flight is delayed for almost 12 hrs and my family of 9 had to split up with 3 flying to transfer in Ohio. We ended up to arrive in Orlando at 1 in the morning instead of 1 in the afternoon. And I see that a flight on the same day departing at 10 am did not have a delay or cancellation. This is the first time I fly in Southwest and probably the last time. I accept delay but I do not accept giving unbelievable excuses due to the company’s poor management and their attitude to just want to make money and carelessness for people whatsoever.
AircraftBoeing