Southwest Airlines

"no heart or care in the world"

Trip Verified | Houston to Norfolk via Baltimore. I flew out of Houston, TX to Norfolk, VA on 5Oct and was to return on 12Oct. My Daughter's 2nd Birthday was on the 7th of Oct. I went to the gate on the 5th for my departure, nothing was said about having to pay for my daughter's return flight because she was "2" now. I go to the airport to depart and was rudely told I need to pay for her ticket, and that the information is on the website - and that she is "Sorry I didn't read it". I would assume being in customer service and knowing the regulations that it would have still been told to me when looking at my daughter's Birth Certificate and seeing she turns two within the time of my stay in VA. I called the airline and they told me that I have no choice but to pay $243.80 for my daughter to fly back. I didn't anticipate the money and didn't have it. I had to miss my flight, and go back to a friends house that I stayed with. I didn't have a rental car anymore because I had to turn it in, so I had to wait for someone to come & get my daughter and I. After I got to my friends house I called and spoke withthe Customer Relations Dept and she said she was sorry about my situation and that I could apply for a donation ticket back. I went to the website and read that SWA gives away 40,000 free tickets a year to "those in need" but the request can take 6-8 weeks. I have a job I had to get back to, didnt have enough diapers, or anything to continue my stay. So, I called them back. Again, "I am sorry, but there is no way around it- you'll have to pay". I told the agent I can pay on the 19th, but will it still be the same amount of money for my daughter to fly back, and how much will it cost to change my reservations. She said they can't guarantee the price will be the same, and that she didn't know how much more out of pocket I would have to come out. I live paycheck to paycheck. I only went to VA because my oldest daughter gave birth to my first Grandchild, and it was important I would be there. I could have left my daughter with my Husband while I was gone if I would have known I had to pay for her return flight back. But since I was stuck there, no one cared and upper management that could have helped me, and also didnt want to get on the phone themselves did not help, nor care I was stranded without a vehicle and no place to go with my 2 year old daughter. I was fortunate enough to reach out to distant family and borrow the money to fly back home with my baby. I have never flown with SWA before, I always chose Delta - and from here on out I will stick with Delta. Not only are the flight attendants rude and their customer service is completely incompetent- they honestly have no heart or no care in the world. The Customer is not their priority.
RouteHouston to Norfolk via Baltimore
Date FlownOctober 2018

"went out of her way to help me"

Trip Verified | Norfolk to Boston. When connection flight was delayed due to weather, Lynn was able to help me book my connecting flight in order to make my arrival time within 15 minutes. Mother Nature saw fit to delay us again but she went out of her way to help me even after a colleague said it wasn’t possible. Thank you, you are the best at customer service.
RouteNorfolk to Boston
Date FlownOctober 2018

"find this practice very unfair"

Trip Verified | While traveling from Los Angeles to Denver, I requested to be put on stand-by, as an Southwest A List Preferred, the agent told me I was first on the list, but it was a full flight so there was no guarantee, which I understood. A few minutes later, while I was standing by the podium, I saw a lady ask the Agent to also be put on the A List Preferred stand-by list. This person was traveling with two other people that were not A List Preferred. The Southwest agent immediately gave this person a boarding pass, because she was traveling with two people that paid to get on an earlier flight. I find this practice very unfair to give preferred preference to another A-List Member because they were travel with two other people.
RouteLos Angeles to Denver
Date FlownOctober 2018

"disappointed in this airline"

Trip Verified | Tampa to St Louis. I’m disappointed in this airline. The last 2 times I’ve flown with them my flight has been significantly delayed (at lest an hour each time). Last time a drunk person that wouldn’t leave the plane and never should have got on. This time because a captain wasn’t there? And only when leaving St. Louis, never when leaving Tampa. It’s been my airline of choice for years but considering when I can’t rely on departure time to find another airline.
RouteTampa to St Louis

"Extremely inflexible!"

Trip Verified | Denver to Los Angeles. Worst airline. Extremely inflexible! Had a flight booked from Denver to Los Angeles, booked the flight early and did not pay top dollar. We wanted to leave on a earlier flight and called the airline and they had 8 open seats. They wanted to charge me $500+ to change the flight to the same exact flight but two hours earlier. They person I spoke with said we can try to go to the airport early and see if they would accommodate us. Went early and they said no - we didnt pay enough for our tickets. They said if our flight is delayed they would change it. Our flight was delayed 10 mins but they said had to be 15 minutes. Had to wait 2 hour, even though there were 8 open seats on the earlier flight. The manager was extremely rude.
RouteDenver to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Not at all happy with Southwest"

Trip Verified | Nashville to Pittsburgh. I had paid extra for A group but turns out there were already 15 to 20 people on the plane from the previous flight that all moved to the front on the plane. This is not a fair way to board. If they leave the plane they should re board with everyone else and if they choose to stay on thru should remain in their original seats. I feel scammed for paying the extra money to board in A group and I will not fly southwest again. I asked the agent at gate C 22 about this and she looked at me like I was the rudest person for asking why this is. Not at all happy with Southwest.
RouteNashville to Pittsburgh

"continuously unimpressed"

Not Verified | Denver to Raleigh Durham. I am continuously unimpressed with this airline. The only reason to fly with Southwest is if you are on a budget. Their services are not up to par with other airlines, and if you are a frequent traveler they are consistently frustrating. For example, the past three flights I have been on, the WiFi didn’t work at all. Now that I am on a 737-700 that somehow has working WiFi, I can barely load Outlook let alone this page. I can’t count on this airline for on time departures or arrivals, or for getting any work done on the plane. Why as a business customer would I be interested in this airline for anything other than the price
RouteDenver to Raleigh Durham

"nicest airline staff"

Trip Verified | One of the friendliest and nicest airline staff, cheerful and helpful. Since I am handicapped that is a great plus. Their assistance to me as a wheelchair assist customer was fabulous. The gates and the plane were very clean and well staffed. Even the Pilots greeted me with cheerful smiles and a good morning. The seats on the 737-700 are somewhat narrow and the seat belts were a little too short to be easy to use. Avoid the seats on the left side front row, extremely tight!
RouteReno to Minneapolis

"Favorite US airline"

Trip Verified | Houston to Santa Ana. Thanks to Southwest in Houston. I am travelling with a friend who was on a different flight landing at a different airport and the excellent Southwest personnel at gate 41 was able to accommodate us on the same flight. Thanks so much Southwest! Favorite US airline.
AircraftBoeing 737-MAX8
RouteHouston to Santa Ana
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"customer service is just poor"

Trip Verified | Denver to Phoenix. Delays and incompetent staff. Southwest could benefit from teaching all of their employees to take responsibility regardless of who’s job certain things actually are. For example. I entered the airport with an 18 month old. I asked the woman checking us in if I could check the car seat at that time she said no and to check it at the gate. At this time it would have been nice if she had mentioned the baby needed a boarding pass. Since he was a lap child I did not know that he needed a boarding pass until I got to the gate to board. I then had to get out of the line to get the babies boarding pass printed. Is it a huge deal no but the customer service industry needs to anticipate and serve the customer. This just leads me to believe they don’t care about customer service. While I was dealing with this issue the ladies printing the boarding pass pointed out out how that was someone else’s job. After I got the boarding pass I went to board the plane and gave my car seat. I was then told it needed a tag and I was asked why I didn’t get a tag as I was getting the baby’s boarding pass. As if it were my fault. The customer service is just poor. I have several other examples and they of course seem small.
RouteDenver to Phoenix