Southwest Airlines

"a great airline"

Trip Verified | Columbus to Montego Bay. Southwest Airlines is a great airline! In spite of the COVID19, they were still full of compassion and credited all of my monies and extended that credit through next year in June! Before COVID19 if Southwest didn't fly there then I didn't use any other airlines!
RouteColumbus to Montego Bay
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Never been impressed"

Not Verified | Never been impressed with Southwest. I was moving from Houston to Dallas and they canceled my flight and texted me to rebook. I rebook and arrive at the airport and during COVID 19 I am the only person at check-in. The guy who "helped" me was on a personal call the entire time and when I would ask him a question, he looked upset he had to stop talking to his friend! On top of that my plane was delayed over an hour when only 10 people were on the plane. I carried on my cat and after being in her pet carrier for too long, she limped for 2 days. They also charged me $95 to take her.
RouteHouston to Dallas
Date FlownApril 2020

"cancelled our flight three times"

Not Verified | Chicago to Fort Myers. We had flown to Ft. Myers on March 8th 2020 before the lockdown was issued in states. As we approached our return flight home they kept cancelling our flight. They cancelled our flight three times before I said “I had enough” we needed to get home my 1 yr old daughter and I (pregnant) had doctor appointments. I booked a different airline and called Southwest to see if they could refund my money which I had to put more money in a return flight for 2 tickets one way then I did on my whole flights through Southwest. Now I’m out almost $300 dollars plus what I spent on 2 one way tickets through a different airline. I enjoy Southwest but in a pandemic where we were thousands of miles from home couldn’t help in any way. I’m disappointed how they are and was handling the situation of this pandemic.
RouteChicago to Fort Myers
Date FlownMarch 2020

"disappointed with this airline"

Not Verified | Very disappointed with this airline. With everything going on today I would expect to see Southwest to have a little compassion and understanding with people needing to cancel their flights. My wife is 30 weeks pregnant and had a baby shower planned in April to fly to. Obviously that got cancelled. Southwest was at all no help and would not refund us. Thanks.
RoutePhoenix to Denver
Date FlownApril 2020

"never use this airline again"

Trip Verified | San Diego to Denver. Not getting a flight refund because we purchased "Wanna get away non refundable tickets" the trip is for May 5, 2020. for my elderly parents to come see their grandson graduate college, tickets were purchased in January 2020. When I tried to cancel them the response I received is "unfortunately you purchased non refundable tickets" they tell me if we cancel the reservation the funds will be saved for one year, minus $100.00 they can not give back, but not transferable. My elderly parents purchase their flight tickets even though they are on a fixed income, they are 90 years old. (I paid them back). this airline is a disgraceful, selfish, with no compassion. They care more about their rules and regulations rather than the people who are the ones that pay their salaries, the government for sure will bailed them out so they won't go under. I will never use this airline again
RouteSan Diego to Denver

"care more about money"

Not Verified | Chicago to Orlando. Southwest Airlines we were supposed to go to Florida March 17-March 24, obviously with a two-year-old with asthma who sees a pulmonologist for it every 3 months, a 6-month-old-baby and someone who is 69 and people with underlying conditions, we, unfortunately, had to make the choice to stay home during all of this. They will not refund our flights because we booked as a “group” we still paid $260 a flight and the best they will offer is new flights to go by May 30 - in the middle of a pandemic. They care more about money than the safety of humans. Seriously disgraceful - at least 5 of us have called them and got the same response that “you can email them but they don’t know if they will refund you” (my sister just got the email response that they will not). Our kids are already having a hard time with us having to cancel, disgraceful. I will never book Southwest again and before you do remember this, please.
RouteChicago to Orlando
Date FlownMarch 2020

"not receive a full refund back"

Not Verified | Ontario to Sacramento. Purchased tickets on 2/1/2020 for May 15-16 2020 needed to be cancelled due to news that my graduation ceremony would no longer be taking part from COVID-19 concerns. I called customer service who referred me to executive office. They informed me that because I purchased "non- refundable" tickets, I could not receive a full refund back on my card. They only offered travel funds for future use until June 30, 2021. This is unacceptable as I did not have any idea that this outbreak would occur and it is not the customers fault. I have no history of complaining before and am shocked that Southwest could not make any exceptions during this difficult time. Southwest Airlines should be ashamed and embarrassed for the lack of sympathy and corporate greed they have portrayed.
RouteOntario to Sacramento
Date FlownMarch 2020

"used to prefer Southwest but no longer"

Trip Verified | After flying from Indianapolis to Atlanta we had a 4 hour layover until our flight to Oakland. My girlfriend has a service animal and we had to the bathroom. We were in Terminal C and there were no pet relief areas open in the entire terminal. We had to walk 20 minutes to terminal B to find an open pet relief area. When we came back they had closed the doors, 15 minutes before the flight. We explained to the lady at the gate that there were no pet relief areas open yet she would not let us on the plane. We then watched the plane for 15 minutes sitting and then it backed out and left. There was plenty of time to correct the situation. The representative laughed and said "Oh I figured you were walking your dog because I saw a service animal on your reservation." I fly twice a week and I used to prefer Southwest but no longer.
RouteIndianapolis to Atlanta via Oakland

"Bad customer relations"

Not Verified | Nashville to Dallas. I had flights scheduled for Dallas and Napa. When I cancelled the flight because of the coronavirus I was told that the early bird fees of $50 per flight would not be transferred to the rescheduling of my flights. Feels like an old fashion holdup. Will not fly Southwest intentionally ever again if I do not at least get my early bird fees transferred to future flights. Bad publicity and customer relations for an airline that in the past had put customer first. They missed a tremendous opportunity to do the right thing.
RouteNashville to Dallas
Date FlownDecember 2019

"the best flight I have ever been on"

Trip Verified | Although many are upset because of these trying times, I have to say while we flew Southwest Airlines from MDW to Punta Cana, flight 2692 and had a great flight. We had our grandchild with us which was his first flight and the crew could not have done enough. While in the Dominican we started hearing so many rumors that the borders were being shut down and we were basically being abandoned. Well Southwest answered their phones confirmed our flight back to the USA and yes we called numerous times as United abandoned everyone at our resort and many people were left scrambling for any airline to please take them back. our flight was the second to last flight back to the USA, and we had a first row seat and I cannot tell you how many people arriving on the plane Flight 517 kept on thanking Southwest for taking them home. Our family witnessed this personally and Southwest had flown many planes empty to the Dominican to bring our people home. The best part was the crew of this flight showed all of us so much attention, and treated everyone great. One passenger had her birthday party sung to her by the whole flight and the crew gave her a bit of a funny gift and one of the crew also sang, to the passengers. By far the best flight I have ever been on. I thank the pilots for their hard work and the crew who put so many people at ease for the great time and flight. I have and will anytime always fly with Southwest due to their great service. If I could I would give them more than 5 stars.
RouteChicago to Punta Cana