Southwest Airlines

"Staff unhelpful and inefficient"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to New Orleans. My originally flight from Oakland to LAX with connection flight LAX to MSY was postponed due to mechanical windshield wiper motor error. Our flight was changed 3 times with the best option staying with original flight and hoping plane would be fixed. After 4 hours we finally flew to LAX where we had to wait in baggage claim for 3 hours and argue to get a hotel (reminder that we missed our connection flight home due to southwest equipment malfunction). Southwest gave us a voucher for travel to and from hotel but second voucher could not be plugged into app as payment. Staffs response was “I don’t know how to help you.” Staff was unhelpful and inefficient having to contact supervisor for hotel then travel arrangements to and from hotel. We had NO direct contact or conversation with the manager. Once we arrived to the hotel which was 30 minutes away from the airport, the service desk attendant told us they never received a call from southwest and hopefully she could find us a room. We decided to Uber back to LAX and payed on our expense due to voucher not working. Get to southwest for 7am flight after 3 hours of sleep due to inefficiency of staff and wasting our time trying to figure out processes which should already be in place. Flight from LAX to MSY was delayed yet again 2 hours due to mechanical errors. I asked the desk attendant if I could have more specifics to document for work and the response I received was “I don’t know anything further” and when I asked if there will be an announcement as to why flight was delayed the response I got was “no we are inspecting the plane and when it is safe to fly then we will notify you”. Awaiting flight in airport which total hours spent is 15+ hours and counting for this one flight on my birthday.
RouteLos Angeles to New Orleans
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"never received baggage claim"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Sacramento. Well this is the second time in a row this has happen with southwest. I and my husband are active military and never received baggage claim. We have important places we need to be at a certain time and don’t have time to wait days without our military belongings. This is ridiculous. They’re service wasn’t great. They didn’t seem to care of the situations we had come across. This is a disaster. Don’t think I’ll ever travel with them again.
RouteChicago to Sacramento
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"don't upgrade to early bird check in"

Not Verified | Raleigh to Denver. Huge fan of Southwest. I will use them whenever possible over any other airline. However, not a huge fan of the "early-bird check-in" feature. The past 2 times I purchased it, it did not work. Did not check me in and gave me a much lower boarding number. The first time I caught it close enough and was able to get B1 but when I brought it up to customer service at the gate they just kinda shrugged and said "that's weird, it shouldn't have sold it to you when we didn't have any more available" and that was it. No apology, no refund offer, no anything. The second time, even though I'd paid for early bird, I made sure I was prepared to check myself in just in case. Glad I did. It didn't work again. I checked myself in and again brought it up to the gate agent and customer service - again, just a shrug and "weird". No apology. No refund offer. Nothing. It's very confusing to me, because Southwest has amazing customer service in all other avenues in my experience. But with early bird check in, they just don't care if it works or not. It's an additional $15 per person in my party that they pocketed. So, now I continue to use Southwest, but I don't upgrade to the early bird check in. It's not worth it when it's unreliable.
RouteRaleigh to Denver
Date FlownOctober 2018

"an amazing experience"

Not Verified | Buffalo to Phoenix. I had an amazing experience with Southwest on February 2,2019. Due to a reversal of departure time, I arrived at the airport stressed and late. The staff was amazing. The ticket agent checked my luggage quickly with a late check in tag. I was doubtful it would make the flight. I raced to the gate and the gate agent was wonderful and so helpful. She assured me my luggage would arrive - and she was right. My luggage and I both arrived in Phoenix together and on time. Fabulous experience with Southwest.
RouteBuffalo to Phoenix

"we're declined seating"

Trip Verified | Houston to Phoenix. What is the point of Southwest being open seating if people are savings seats for those who didn't check in on time. My husband and I were in the A group and we're declined seating by multiple parties until there was companioned seating on the back half of the plane. Pretty ridiculous. This service gets a 0 for me as when I told the flight attendant, nothing was done.
RouteHouston to Phoenix

"I love Southwest"

Not Verified | Phoenix to Michigan. I love Southwest, my daughter and I made Phoenix our home November of 2016 and we both have flown different airlines back and forth. She sometimes travel alone as a unaccompanied minor and no airline gave her such a great experience on her flight. Thank you Southwest and a special thank you to the pilot. She was excited to sit in the cockpit.
RoutePhoenix to Michigan
Date FlownAugust 2018

"not use Southwest Airlines"

Trip Verified | Portland to Los Angeles. Southwest Airlines cancelled my direct flight due to "Maintenance" or "Weather Issues" (Employees did not have the same reason) then I'm forced to choose a connecting flight with a 3 hour layover. In addition, my replacement flights got delayed causing me hours of my own life?! I hope everyone reads this and let this be a lesson to not use Southwest Airlines.
RoutePortland to Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"does not include a guitar"

Trip Verified | Ontario to Oakland. The website does not make it immediately clear that 2 free bags checked does not include a guitar. That's annoying. Financially, this flight was a bad decision, and has made me decide I won't fly southwest again.
RouteOntario to Oakland
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"definitely fly Southwest again"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Louisville. Zero problems. Great service there and back. Seats are not luxurious but ok. Plane was a newer one and nice. Paid extra to get front row seat but it was worth it. WIFI worked good even though it cost extra. Would definitely fly Southwest again.
RouteLas Vegas to Louisville

"canned email response"

Trip Verified | Hartford to Tampa. The fact that we were significantly delayed tonight by 2 hr. 40 min. isn't even the motivation behind this review. It's not even the constant WiFi problems we experience every single flight. The main reason is Southwest's lack of heart. I was A-List Preferred and have flown SW exclusively for a few years now. I was three flights short in 2018 to maintain my A-List Preferred status, and I emailed them explaining that the reason I was short was because I was forced to fly Delta a few times due to Southwest cancelling or delaying the flights in question. It was such a light-hearted plea, too. I thought surely in the name of customer experience, they'll understand and appreciate the fact that I'm loyal to them still and they'll do the right thing. Not so much, unfortunately. Instead, I get this canned email response below. "We received your email and appreciate your taking the time to contact us. As a valued Customer of Southwest Airlines, your feedback is very important to us, and we welcome the opportunity to respond. A-List and A-List Preferred status provides lucrative benefits to recognize and reward our most loyal Customers, and we must rely on our Rapid Rewards Members to gain entry to these tier levels through their activity in the program. I truly understand your frustration given that you were only three flights shy of qualifying for A-List Preferred. In order to maintain the integrity of our Rapid Rewards program and continue to provide the perks associated with each tier status, we must consistently adhere to the program rules. Saying “no” to a request for tier status that has not been truly earned helps ensure that we are able to say “yes” to offering benefits to our qualifying Members in the future. Your patronage and loyalty has not gone unnoticed. It's our hope that you will continue flying Southwest Airlines as it would be our privilege to welcome you onboard for many years to come. Sincerely, Nancy, Southwest Airlines"
RouteHartford to Tampa