Southwest Airlines

"continue to get my business"

Trip Verified | Raleigh to Orlando. Nothing bad, service-wise, to say about my trip (RDU-MCO-RDU). The outbound flight was delayed five minutes coming from Phoenix but had 25 empty seats and let customers spread out. Arrived in Orlando on time. Inbound flight back to Raleigh was packed full and arrived 10 minutes early. Service was friendly both ways. Southwest Airlines will continue to get my business for future trips.
RouteRaleigh to Orlando
Date FlownJuly 2018

"flight delayed multiple times"

Trip Verified | Oklahoma City to Chicago. My flight was delayed multiple times and their customer service sucks . The staff needs better training as they do not know what they are talking about. It took the 5th rep to be able to tell me the true answer to my issue after being told and promised something different. They do not honor what they say. Make sure you get it in writing because all you will get is a "I'm sorry this is policy. We will address this internally." I wasted 4 hours on the phone with them.
RouteOklahoma City to Chicago
Date FlownApril 2018

"a scam and don’t bother with it"

Trip Verified | Tampa to Los Angeles via Denver. Just beware of Southwest Airlines “Business select”. When you use the word “Business” in relation to air travel, it usually means: a wider seat, more legroom, better meal service, prioritised baggage and lounge access. If you tick the box and pay for this so called upgrade you get none of those things. Fair enough, you have some fare flexibility and the bags go free. Apart from that and a free drink coupon, you get an economy seat and economy treatment. You get to board early. And, it cost me a lot of money, a few hundred dollars for this so called upgrade - you could say that I should have taken the time to read the fine print, but I made the error of thinking that Business meant Business. My advice - it’s a scam and don’t bother with it.
RouteTampa to Los Angeles via Denver

"non-professional crew"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Portland. My flight got delayed a lot and I tried to catch an early one. I was first on the waiting list, A class. Luckily they had one empty seat so I was prepared to go to the door when a very SW employee flirting around with the male passengers told me that there is somebody else in front of me, specifically her latest flirt. Normally I would have not care much since it was a long shot to get on an early flight but her indolence made me fight for my seat. Her supervisor came, of course said it's me who is supposed to be in the plane and that she will try to make it right. The captain came and help with one more seat. Their help was much appreciated but for me this was last time flying with SW. Too many delays, non-professional crew and higher price compared with the other airlines without any comfort for the money. This happened on 11/09/18 flight 2199 from SJC to PDX (the delayed flight was 0107).
RouteSan Jose to Portland

"doesn't scan bag tags"

Trip Verified | Richmond to Phoenix via Atlanta. They lost my bag on veterans day. What a nice way to say thanks to an OEF and OIF veteran. What really annoyed me and spurned this review was finding out that this airline doesn't scan bag tags at loading/unloading and track bag movement like the other airlines. How can this not be integrated into a major us airlines technology infrastructure in 2018? Unacceptable. Furthermore, Southwest refuses to admit that the bag was lost and is instead just "delayed." Garbage. When I asked the agent where the bag was, she couldn't tell me (since they don't track). I then asked her what you call it when you don't know where something is. Her answer? Lost. I needed what was in the bag to prep for a business meeting on Monday which I am now unable to do.
RouteRichmond to Phoenix via Atlanta

"absolutely terrible"

Not Verified | Puerto Vallarta to Houston via Dallas. It's not so hard to understand that delays happen, but we have had more than one delay trying to get from Puerto Vallarta to Dallas, and the workers are absolutely terrible about keeping customers up to date on what's going on.
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Houston via Dallas
Date FlownNovember 2018

"last 12 Southwest flights delayed"

Not Verified | Originally going from Grand Rapids to Birmingham, through Chicago Midway. The GR flight was delayed 3 hours so I would miss my connection. I asked customer service if I could drive to midway and catch the connection. They said no that was not possible to do, but would rebook me on a different flight. I drove to midway for the rebooked flight to find that it too was delayed by more than 3 hrs and would miss my connection in Tampa. So they rebooked me on the second leg of the original flight (the one customer service said was not possible to get on). Sat at Chicago Midway for 3.5 hrs only to find that this flight too was now delayed 2.5 hours. None of these delays were due to weather by the way. I have now had 10 of my last 12 Southwest flights delayed. Shame on me for continuing to use this sub par airline. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment.
RouteGrand Rapids to Birmingham

"Horrible service"

Not Verified | Tampa to Nashville . I tried to check-in 24 hours early to get a good seating position. No checking button, but there was an early bird option. I clicked and paid. It said I would be checked in early, but didn't see any boarding info. I kept refreshing screen to see if it would give a check-in button. Finally, about 5 min after the 24 hour advance period, it gave me the checkin button and I checked in. Now have position B44. I have never had B44 when checking in right at the 24 hr mark. This was because the screen didn't give me the button. SW is obviously giving preference to other people and delaying the checkin button for others. Horrible service. Like traveling in a semi trailer full of cattle when you can't check in early. I called and they said that the early bird check-in button checked me in early for the return flight, not the 1st flight. Horrible user experience. Absolutely the worst. In the future I will fly a real airline that actually allows you to have better than a middle seat.
RouteTampa to Nashville
Date FlownNovember 2018

"disgusted with the lack of help"

Trip Verified | Grand Rapids to San Antonio via Chicago. I have been flying Southwest for years and have been very happy with the airline and Rewards program until this last trip. I checked in my daughter and I 24 hours in advance and it asked me to check a box by each name, obviously can check in a person 1 at a time. That afternoon something happened and my daughter could no longer go. I got on line and went to cancellations. It asked for the passenger name and confirmation number. I put in my daughters name and was able to cancel her flight. Fast forward about 12 hours later and I arrive for my flight at 530am eastern standard time. I was told that my flight had also been cancelled, even though I only ever entered my daughters name. They were able to re-book me, but I had paid 51,000 points for 2 tickets and they re-booked me for 1 ticket at 59,000 points. I called customer service and they could not help. I called customer relations and I was told if I had called them before I re-booked they would have helped. However, they were not even open for business until 7am CST, 2.5 hours after i had to get on a plane. I am thoroughly disgusted with the lack of help and the fact that both flights were cancelled when only 1 name was entered.
RouteGrand Rapids to San Antonio via Chicago

"crew are unbelievable"

Trip Verified | I have flown with Southwest several times, including my very first flight back in December 2017. It was also my 8 year old son’s first flight from STL to Denver and we were all so nervous. It was an extremely early flight, 5:30am departure. When we first boarded, the pilot was standing in the aisle and introduced himself to my son. We told them it was our very first flight ever and he could see that my son was in tears. After introducing himself he told my son that he will safely get us there and will make sure it’s a wonderful flight so he will love flying, so do not worry about a thing, and even showed my son the cockpit area, it made his day, week, year. They also gave him a little airplane sticker pin. We hit a little bit of turbulence on the way however the pilot told us every single time prior to possibly hitting it and even explained why and that it was perfectly safe and how long the turbulence might last. It made us all so comfortable. I have flown at least 20 flights just since then and have yet to have a bad experience with Southwest. Their crew are unbelievable, always going above and beyond for us. My son has flown two more times and looks forward to it every time, gets super excited to meet “his pilots” as he says. And they always shake his hand. We will always fly Southwest.
RouteMemphis TN to Tampa FL