Southwest Airlines

"definitely fly Southwest again"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Louisville. Zero problems. Great service there and back. Seats are not luxurious but ok. Plane was a newer one and nice. Paid extra to get front row seat but it was worth it. WIFI worked good even though it cost extra. Would definitely fly Southwest again.
RouteLas Vegas to Louisville

"canned email response"

Trip Verified | Hartford to Tampa. The fact that we were significantly delayed tonight by 2 hr. 40 min. isn't even the motivation behind this review. It's not even the constant WiFi problems we experience every single flight. The main reason is Southwest's lack of heart. I was A-List Preferred and have flown SW exclusively for a few years now. I was three flights short in 2018 to maintain my A-List Preferred status, and I emailed them explaining that the reason I was short was because I was forced to fly Delta a few times due to Southwest cancelling or delaying the flights in question. It was such a light-hearted plea, too. I thought surely in the name of customer experience, they'll understand and appreciate the fact that I'm loyal to them still and they'll do the right thing. Not so much, unfortunately. Instead, I get this canned email response below. "We received your email and appreciate your taking the time to contact us. As a valued Customer of Southwest Airlines, your feedback is very important to us, and we welcome the opportunity to respond. A-List and A-List Preferred status provides lucrative benefits to recognize and reward our most loyal Customers, and we must rely on our Rapid Rewards Members to gain entry to these tier levels through their activity in the program. I truly understand your frustration given that you were only three flights shy of qualifying for A-List Preferred. In order to maintain the integrity of our Rapid Rewards program and continue to provide the perks associated with each tier status, we must consistently adhere to the program rules. Saying “no” to a request for tier status that has not been truly earned helps ensure that we are able to say “yes” to offering benefits to our qualifying Members in the future. Your patronage and loyalty has not gone unnoticed. It's our hope that you will continue flying Southwest Airlines as it would be our privilege to welcome you onboard for many years to come. Sincerely, Nancy, Southwest Airlines"
RouteHartford to Tampa
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Everyone working was amazing"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Chicago. I have horrible anxiety and gets worse when I need to fly. I am a person that believe my feet belong on the ground. Well I had to take a business trip solo and never flown alone. I saw the pilot coming from grabbing some lunch so I approached him to see if he was flying the plane or going home. If he was going home I was going to ask to sit next to him to help with my fears. He was the flying pilot. He asked me if everything was ok and I told him I was very scared and nervous. He told me it was going to be ok and a smooth short ride. I thanked him for the conversation and went to wait in line to board. Well a few mins into waiting a wonderful man came and said to come with him. They allowed me on the plane and introduced me to everyone working on the plane. The wonderful gentlemen told me to pick any seat and he would sit next to me and guide me through the sounds and bumps so I know I’m safe. Everyone working on flight 1599 was so amazing. I wish I knew each and everyone name working that day to call and tell their bosses how much I appreciate everything they did to help me feel better. Thank you so much Southwest Airlines. You all are amazing and I hope your bosses know this. I cannot thank you enough for taking the extra time to help me.
RouteAtlanta to Chicago
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"worst airline I’ve flown"

Trip Verified | Oakland to Las Vegas. It’s the worst airline I’ve flown. I’ve only departed on time approximately 50 percent of the time. Alaska is better. Only gave it a zero because there’s not a lower choice
RouteOakland to Las Vegas

"a consummate professional"

Trip Verified | Indianapolis to Ft Myers. From the beginning of the flight to the end, our stewardess, Deborah was a consummate professional. There was a screaming baby, people were not loading with consideration of others in mind, but Deborah took it all in stride. Her beaming smile and wonderful compassion to this harried new parent was a refreshing change to those of us used to being just 'another number' in the airline industry. If Southwest keeps employing stellar employees like Deborah, I will no longer even search out the competition. Quality beats any of the other items that I could possibly consider. Thank you again, Deborah.
RouteIndianapolis to Ft Myers
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"sit on tarmac for an hour"

Trip Verified | Sacramento to San Diego. On the flight out, the plane pulled away from the gate on time, only to sit on the tarmac for an hour so they could complete a repair. But of course, this was considered an "on time departure". On the return flight, the captain informed us that something was dropped under the captains chair, and they had to remove the chair and an access panel to retrieve it. I kid you not. After 45 minutes the captain came out of the cockpit, picked up the intercom, and with a grin on his face, showed the entire passenger area the item that was retrieved, a cupholder. Just great. I feel so confident flying with Southwest.
RouteSacramento to San Diego
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"handled the problem well"

Not Verified | Our plane from Baltimore Washington to Aruba had some minor mechanical issues forcing us to divert to San Juan instead of flying directly on to Aruba. There was another plane waiting for us in San Juan and we were able to make it to Aruba 3 hours late which was great considering the diversion. The best part of the story is a few hours later we received a voucher each for $150 from SWA for the delay. Considering we used points and my wife flew on a companion fare(free) it cost me nothing for the flight. SWA handled the problem well and we arrived only three hours behind schedule when it could have been a much longer delay. They were so smart with sending out vouchers to all of us in a timely manner.
RouteBaltimore Washington to Aruba

"No organization at all"

Not Verified | Tucson to Kansas City. Never again Southwest doesn't take care of problems. Flight had mechanical issue. Not a problem. Once we had to get off. Only 2 employees to help reroute 150 some of passengers. Once I got a confirmation on new flight from text, they couldn't give me a boarding pass. Finally got new part several hrs later. We boarded again. It took to long on run way. I missed any other flight. Got rebooked again. 6 hrs later I get to KC. No luggage! Now I'm mad. It was a joke flying with Southwest. No organization at all.
RouteTucson to Kansas City

"I feel ripped off"

Trip Verified | On December 26, 2018 I flew my daughter back to California from Phoenix. Her luggage that was checked in was opened and checked by Homeland Security. We did not know the suitcase was checked until the next day in the afternoon. My daughter and I decided to put her Christmas gift cards; PlayStation, Ross, and Burlington, in the selfie light box that she got for Christmas as well thinking they would be safe. Not the case! When my daughter open the selfie light box to retrieve her gift cards because her mother was taking her shopping that day she discovered that the Burlington gift card had been stolen. What a disappointment. My daughter is 14 years old and this was her first experience flying and this is the treatment she received from a dishonest employee. I contacted Southwest and they sent me an email stating that the missing item, my daughter's Burlington gift card is not covered. I feel ripped off and appalled that Southwest does not take responsibility for such misconduct.
RoutePhoenix to Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2018

"experienced excellent service"

Trip Verified | Long Island to Baltimore. I have always experienced excellent service from Southwest Airlines except in the area of TSA. The TSA constantly reminds me that it is not their fault that pre-check is not open or in Albany's case, pre-check has no body scanner for pre-check. I know SW is not responsible for TSA agents but since they have not sent me the usual evaluation form, here I am. I met my 1st obnoxious agent ever on 12/27 at 9:45 am at ISP. I asked why pre-check was not open and he yelled at me that it was not his fault. It was SW's. Since I had packed for pre-check screening, it took me a little time to locate liquids. He badgered me the entire time, with a loud voice. At one point he asked the woman behind me if she was his witness. She asked for what and he shut up. The woman who did the extensive pat-down was excellent! And how about this? At BWI my luggage was on the carousel before I arrived there!
RouteLong Island to Baltimore