Southwest Airlines

"The service has really gone downhill"

Not Verified | Our flight was to board at 7:10 a.m. and the counter to check in bags did not open until 6:00 a.m. There was a line of people to check in. We had to rush through security and barely had time to go to the restroom and grab a water for the plane. Horrible way to start our day. We will not fly with Southwest again. The service has really gone downhill!
RouteBirmingham to Dallas
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"They are literally high-class thieves"

Not Verified | Southwest Airlines took my money for a flight to Costa Rica, then Southwest stopped flying there and they won't refund my money. They told me I could reschedule but had to fly within a year. They still haven't started flying there and they told me I will just lose my 1,050.00. They blamed it on Costa Rica, but that is a lie since other US Airlines are flying there. Southwest Airlines just flat out stole over a thousand dollars from me. Whatever you do, do not book with Southwest Airlines. They are literally high-class thieves.
RouteTulsa to Houston via Liberia
Date FlownOctober 2020

"People with masks down. Awful"

Trip Verified | Wifi didn’t work at all. Movies stopped and started and were impossible to use. Flight was full. No warning. No option to change flights. No safety at all. No spacing at all. People with masks down. Awful. Very unsafe.
RouteMinneapolis to Phoenix
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"I will never fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | My flight was supposed to be from 8:45 to 1:15 and they rescheduled it 3 times. The last time they canceled my flight at 9:30pm at night the day before travel. We literally moved our entire schedule around to fly at 8:45 and now at the last minute we have to scram to get to the airport 3 hours early! Not to mention they scheduled a 5 hour layover that we would have never booked! In addition due to their idiotic no assigned seating policy I checked in exactly 24 hours before my checkin time and was lucky enough to get in boarding group A. However on the rescheduled ticket they put my husband and I in group C! What’s the point of me waking up to check in on time!! I will never fly this airline again!
RouteBoston to Miami
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"first and last time flying with Southwest"

Not Verified | Had to land at 2 airports along the way. All was fine in regards to arrival and departure times. Served "snacks" on 2 of the flights. "Snacks" consisted of dry, hard, chocolate chip brittle and a bag of dry, hard pretzels and another mystery ingredient. All was well until the plane from Las Vegas to Atlanta filled up. Then it became 3 people per row. At that point there was no room to move much and in no time at all my back was killing me from being so uncomfortable. The seats would not recline and felt extremely cramped. The cabin was much too narrow and should never have had 3 per row seating. This was my first and last time flying with Southwest.
RouteSacramento to Richmond
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"I was really disappointed"

Trip Verified | I guess my flight was ok. I got on six different flights 5 of them the staff was awesome and the other one the staff was annoying and unnecessarily controlling. I was really disappointed that I was informed late that my returning flight was canceled after I already checked out of my hotel and was on my way to return my car. They did not offer any help to people that they stranded, such as a room voucher or a ride to the airport, totally unfair! My luggage that I purchased 3 days before my flight, (I have the receipt), looked as if it had been dragged on it's side instead of rolled (which was very easy to do). After getting home I felt uneasy about my trip. If I feel like going cheap and taking chances with my situation, I'll use them again.
RouteWashington to Cincinnati
Date FlownDecember 2020

"you have lost me as a customer"

Trip Verified | Flight 6216 Southwest Airlines January 5, 2021 scheduled to depart Denver airport at 3:40 PM. The flight did take off and land safely at the destination, BWI airport. My checked bag arrived as it should. There is nothing else I have to write that is a positive comment about the way this flight was handled. First of all many of the passengers were not wearing their masks as required in the waiting area before boarding the flight. Some of the same passengers, at least 23 by my count, boarded the plane without their masks covering their mouths and noses. They walked in this manner by the Southwest flight attendants and were not stopped or directed to comply with the rules. A lady and an Asian man seated themselves in seats 4b and 4c. They began taking about liberty and their freedoms and would not wear their masks. Seats 4d, 4e and 4f. had passengers that would not wear their masks properly and they began discussing liberty and freedom loudly. The spoke to a passenger nearby that indicated they should comply with the rules since we have a global pandemic. Those passengers commented that their is no pandemic and the new media has promoted a hoax. All of the sickness is a hoax including the media, the drug companies and the liberal media. It is difficult for a crew to control morons. The crew did have several opportunities to not allow these individuals on the plane to begin with. If they will not comply in the boarding area then they must not be allowed to board. Other passengers and I purchased our tickets to fly based upon the contract and trust that Southwest would not allow passengers on the plane if they would not comply. For the first 30 minutes the Captain and the First Officer did not turn on condition air to save Southwest money. Once security removed the lady that was ranting, denigrating the flight attendants and other passengers, the Captain and First Officer did get the air conditioning going. The flight remained at gate C27 for another hour as the crew sorted the mess. Several passengers never wore their masks properly. I do not want to get COVID and you do not either. Southwest executives must believe times are normal and have forgotten the raging pandemic. The boarding process jammed people next to each other in the name of loading quickly. The lineup of passengers in the aisle was jammed with many passengers in contact with each other. The paln had few empty seats. Wake up airline executives, you have lost me as a customer until the pandemic is over. I do not recommend flying any commercial fight until the airline executives from ever airline realize they must take a loss for the time and hold planes to a 50% capacity until the pandemic is over. Passenger safety should be the most important goal of any airline. Getting sick with the possibility of death from the illness is a definite threat. If you can charter a plane or have your own plane these issues will not affect you. Commoners like me will drive of find another way to get safely to any destination I must go to for work. Otherwise I am following the Governor's orders and minimizing any travel and recommend that to everyone. There is no reason not to wear a mask. I tried Southwest and you failed me. I would like to think I can fly safely but after this flight I will not be flying on any airline for a long time. I felt as if I was in jail. Adapt Southwest, you must keep us safe!
RouteDenver to Baltimore
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"not once addressed by the airline"

Not Verified | On January 3rd 2021, I arrived to ORF with 2 checked bags, a book bag personal item, and early bird seating. We were off to Nashville around 1500 with dense fog noted. Soon (10 minutes?) after takeoff, it seemed like we were not ascending as usual. The cabin became unusually hot and there was an awful plastic/metal smell with some vibrations that I thought was just turbulence. The captain came overhead to inform us we had struck a flock of birds and we were returning to Norfolk to service the engine. The next 20 minutes were terrifying as we glided back down to safety and I applaud the flight crew for returning us safely...however the next few events following this incident is where I have some issues with southwest. I have always enjoyed flying with southwest airlines and I am an easy customer to please. I frequently travel and understand that there are some circumstances that flight crews and airport personnel can not control. However, I found the way that Southwest dealt with the situation was despicable and disrespectful. A simple phone-call to follow-up after a terrifying incident would have sufficed. However, I want to acknowledge how great the employees were at the gate dealing with the rescheduling issue and the flight crew (unless they failed to report it...). We all exited the plane and were asked to wait in the terminal. Everyone was confused and no one was sharing information and there was only 1 person to help direct all 180 of us on what to do next...(she was awesome, thus the 5 star ground rating). The flight was canceled and I was pleased that SW attempted to reschedule me to get to my final destination to MKE (Nashville was my connection). I ended up asking to change the one they rescheduled (Orf to orlando to MKE) and flew directly to Chicago and drove up to Mke from there. So...never heard word from southwest about the incident, do I get money back? I know that direct to Chicago was cheaper. And I didn't get my early bird status. I checked the FAA bird strike database, not even reported...I hope they actually inspected/serviced that airbus. The next day I was happy because I called and asked where my checked bags were and the very helpful lady informed me that she would make sure they made it to MKE from Nashville (I'm glad those people who waited for that rescheduled flight got to go!) and SW called me when my bags were ready to be picked up.But all in all, I am super salty that our plane hit birds and had to turn around and was not once addressed by the airline. No "We are sorry you experienced that", no flight coupon for my early bird. I mean if I wanted to be treated that way they should at least make us sign a safety waiver?
RouteNorfolk to Nashville

"Very unpleasant experience"

Not Verified | Tickets were cheap and quality followed. My initial (12:40pm) flight time was delayed until (6:50pm), gate was changed 3 or 4 times and no real explanation given. My Connection would have been missed so they directed me, which I originally appreciated until I realized it would be another 5 hours of waiting. As I sit I am now waiting another 3 hours due to an other delay on their end. I would originally have been home at 10:20pm but now it appears I wont be home until 12:45am. Very unpleasant experience and I will not be flying Southwest again.
RoutePhoenix to Columbus
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"lame customer experience and no communication"

Not Verified | Long wait times to board, was supposed to leave at 2.20, didn't get out until 2.40 from the gate, then sat on the runway for 30m at midway with no information from the pilot or crew. Very lame customer experience and no communication. SW was at one time great, they are at their worst now! Very regretful for choosing this airline from Midway, a complete disaster here in Chi. Been on the plane for 1 hr and no one is telling us what is going on.
RouteChicago to Denver