Southwest Airlines

"charges you to checkin luggage at curbside"

Trip Verified | Since when did Southwest Airlines at BNA airport in Nashville start a new policy that charges you to checkin your already paid for luggage at curbside, or you have to go inside to boarding passes and checkin your already paid for luggage for “free”? I have flown on all the major airline carriers throughout my entire 40 something year life, and have never been forced to pay to check in my already paid for luggage at curbside? This sounds like fraudulent business practices by employees at this location.
RouteNashville to Jacksonville
Date FlownJuly 2024

"Southwest did us right"

Not Verified | KOA-OAK-RNO. Kona to Oakland had on time departure. Easy check in. All staff were pleasant on ground and in the air. Had several drink rounds and typical Southwest snacks. Entertainment system worked just fine on our own devices with decent selection of movies, TV, games, etc. Only negative is that this plane had no charging ports for personal devices. I was OK as I was fully charged up before flight. Smooth flight to Oakland. Our two hour layover in Oakland started to increase by half hour increments shortly after arrival. But we were kept informed. In the end our two hour layover turned into a five hour layover. Mechanical issue with the plane we were waiting for lead to a change of equipment causing the delay. Things happen. We were told we could apply for compensation after we got home since we were delayed for 3 hours. Finally got on our flight back to Reno and got in three hours later than expected. All our luggage arrived safe and sound. The next day we submitted our compensation request and 3 days later we were approved and received the compensation. Southwest did us right.
AircraftBoeing 737 Max8
RouteKona to Reno via Oakland

"Enjoyable flight"

Not Verified | OGG-HNL. Easy check-in. Plane was an hour behind schedule but was informed earlier in the day so not a problem. Pleasant staff and ground crew. Flight is only 25 minutes so no beverage or snack service if I remember right. Didn't have time to check out the entertainment system. Luggage arrived safe and sound. Enjoyable flight for a quick island hop.
AircraftBoeing 737 Max8
RouteKahului to Honolulu
Date FlownJune 2024

“Terrible first experience with Southwest”

Trip Verified | I was originally booked a round trip flight with Southwest traveling from Austin to San Diego. This was the first time flying with Southwest and I'm traveling for business. I thought I'd give Southwest a chance this time instead of flying with United or American. Flight from Austin to San Diego was fine. On my trip back to Austin, I had checked in 24 hours before my flight and had a boarding pass. I then proceeded to call Southwest customer service to inquire about the cost of changing to a flight later on Friday evening instead of flying out Saturday afternoon. I decided against changing my flight due to the fare difference, I told the service agent that I will keep my original flight. Everything was going fine on the day of my flight until I was trying to board. The boarding pass on my phone apparently wasn't valid even though I had used it to get through TSA security and it worked there. I was then told that I don't have a ticket booked back to Austin. I was in shock and confused as to what was happening because I checked in fine, got through security fine and was ready to board. The first desk agent at the gate was of no help just saying there's nothing they can do, completely useless. Another 3 people came after and made some calls and tried to figure it out. They finally got it figured out that there was an issue on Southwest's end and the funds were there for my flight but for some reason my original ticket back to Austin was canceled. By that time the gate door had closed and the only flight was 6 hours later! I'm left here at the airport for 6 hours longer than I ever want to be with this issue that I didn't know could even happen when I was at the airport by the gate 90 minutes before departure. Ridiculous that this issue can even come up for what Southwest claims to be a major airline with agents giving up and not helping at first. How is it possible to accidently cancel someone's flight from a normal inquiry about flight changes? That's a standard request. Terrible first experience with Southwest, I do not plan to fly with Southwest again.
RouteSan Diego to Austin

"Not a good experience"

Not Verified | Our 6:10 am departure time on our flight from Albany to Chicago Midway was delayed. They delayed the flight a 1/2 hour because there was a large number of people that were late for the flight. They said TSA was backed up. I have a real issue with my husband & I being the scape goat for others tardiness! If those that were late had gotten to the airport 2 hours prior to their departure they would have been on time. Because of their tardiness - my husband & I were the ones that suffered. We missed our connecting flight in Chicago & now have a 5 1/2 hour layover til the next flight. We had A Boarding on our early connecting flight and now have the last C Boarding numbers. When we talked several agents requesting our original boarding status back and were told “that’s not going to happen.” Further stated that’s not how we do it! Not a good experience with Southwest! Their decision to hold the plane in Albany was beneficial to late passengers but really inconvient for us who got to the airport 2 hours prior to departure!
RouteAlbany to Midway Chicago
Date FlownJune 2024

"it was a lousy experience"

Trip Verified | Southwest used to be good but I travelled yesterday jun 26, 2024 after many years and it was a lousy experience. The flight times are 6pm leave SJC and arrive 1130pm dallas love field. There was some problem with the plane and they kept shift departure time until the announced after 3 hr delay that they have a new plane. We landed at DAL around 3am, and the car rental had closed by then at the airport. Any airline where delay is > 2hrs especially with arrival after midnight must refund 50% of the ticket. The staff at san jose said it is out of control.
RouteSan Jose to Dallas
Date FlownJune 2024

"most stupid system of boarding"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | If you fly business never fly Southwest Airlines. They have the most stupid system of boarding without preassigned seats, and you have to stand in line otherwise you might lose your space for hand luggage. Also there is no business class, you just get to board at the beginning after a good amount of standing waiting. Very bad.
RoutePhoenix to Los Cabos

"Really good attitudes"

Not Verified | Reno-Oakland-Kahului. Easy check in at Reno. On time departure. Beverage and snack served on 28-minute flight to Oakland. Easy transfer in Oakland onward to Hawaii. On time departure. Arrived early and all luggage showed up. Really good attitudes from ground staff and flight staff. All seats had their own power plug that worked. On flight entertainment worked fine with good selection of shows/music/movies. No complaints on either flight.
AircraftBoeing 737-7/737 Max8
RouteReno to Kahului via Oakland
Date FlownJune 2024

"Southwest friendly no-frills service"

Trip Verified | Outbound leg on B737-MAX 8 and inbound on B737-800. Outbound flight was delayed by 40 minutes due to severe weather in the area. Once airborne, the flight encountered some turbulence until it cleared the weather system affecting Dallas. Inbound flight departed on time. ICE worked flawlessly on the outbound flight; however, the inbound flight was beset with buffering and/or no connection at all. On both flights, flight crew were courteous and provided the usual Southwest friendly no-frills service.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 MAX/ 737-800
RouteDallas to Las Vegas
Date FlownMay 2024

“changed flights departing and returning”

Not Verified | My son and I were flying to Massachusetts for a nice vacation. Well Southwest Airlines had a different plan. They decided to turn it into a 3 ring circus. They changed our flights both departing and returning. We get to the airport only to find out we have a 5hr delay this was while we were at the airport. Then a gate change followed by a constant flight time change. We go through Chicago and finally get to Manchester, NH. Wait for it the trip back was even more fun. Flight was changed to earlier time, gate change and two stop to get back to Tennessee. Needless to say they just fly by the seat of their pants literally.
RouteLebanon, TN to Manchester, NH