Southwest Airlines

"I am told to leave the plane"

Not Verified | Baltimore to Pittsburgh. As I boarded this SW flight, and was attempting to get a seat, utilizing Southwest’s ‘open seating’ policy, the attendant blocked me from getting to a seat, stating he was holding the seats for others. Because I asked him repeatedly about the Southwest policy that he was not adhering to, he got loud stating that I need to find another seat. I did and apparently I needed to have a ‘cheery’ disposition, because before I knew it, another attendant was in my face telling me I need to listen to the attendants. I was already in a seat and was lost as to what she was talking about, sure enough another employee who was not even with the crew, comes on board and is now demanding that I verbally answer him, when he tells me I need to listen to the attendants (and no I was not in the emergency exit, nor was I doing any duties for the airline). So yes we are back in kindergarten and I answered him, but that too was not good enough, because he provides his rendition to the captain and I was told to leave the plane. I was not loud, nor drunk, nor physically abusive, I did not raise my voice, nor did I cause a commotion. And now I am told to leave the plane because 1 person, decided to take his frustration out on me. I did nothing wrong to anyone on that plane, nothing wrong to anyone in the airport and Southwest can justify people making decisions like this. If you are frustrated with your job before 9:00am then why does Southwest have morning flights? Clearly the employees do not want to deal with customers during certain hours. And what is even more disheartening, is the fact that they are allowed to document lies and nonsense to cover their end and nowhere is it documented what I went through as a paying customer. I guarantee I would not recommend Southwest to anyone ever.
RouteBaltimore to Pittsburgh
Date FlownOctober 2019

"checked bags had its handle broken"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Orlando. I bought Southwest Airlines flight to Orlando thinking it was good as it used to be. I am traveling with a family due to which I carried 4 checked in bags. One of the checked bags had its handle broken, another bag came with a huge dent. Not sure if Southwest Airlines employees were all playing catch or basketball with my bags. By the way at the express check in they expect you to put the claims tags on the bags by yourself. I have never worked for an airline, due to which I tried my best to make sure that the claims label goes on each bag. The lady at Baltimore check in asked me 3-4 times as to why I did not put the labels in a certain way for them to read the label (it was not even bent). I had to tell her that I did this for the first time each time. She wouldn’t stop. Southwest Airlines you better have people at the kiosk to put those claims labels in a professional way. Just because you are giving us free checked in bags, doesn’t mean that you can do all these damages and don’t even care about that.
RouteBaltimore to Orlando
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Southwest used to be the best"

Not Verified | This is the umpteenth time our flight has been delayed a ridiculous amount. Today it is delayed now 3 hours which puts us at our connection at the time it should leave, most likely without us. Southwest used to be the best, easiest, and most convenient and all of that seems to have ended. I choose Southwest for many years now because I’ve always enjoyed the company more than others. Now it’s smartest to go with the most affordable, since the only things that make Southwest stand out anymore are negative. The free bags used to be nice, now it’s cheaper to pay someone to check them. The family boarding used to be nice, now they just let anyone with a minor on at that time, even if the “child” is actually of adult ability. The price used to be nice, now many other airlines are less expensive. The staff used to be nice, now they’re nowhere to be found. Not even one staff member manning the two gates I’m siting at.
RouteCincinnati to Albuquerque via Chicago Midway
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Southwest charged me an additional 400$"

Trip Verified | I scheduled a flight in May for my September trip. Originally from Orlando. Hurricane was bearing down on Florida and Orlando airport was due to close because of the storm. My tickets were bought and paid for in May. 400$ round trip for 2. At the very last minute before the airport closed I switched my flight to Tampa so I wouldn't miss my trip. Southwest charged me an additional 400$ for the same distance flight that they cancelled 4 hours later when they closed the Orlando airport. Been a Southwest customer for many many years. I will be looking at my options and do what it takes to never use Southwest again.
RouteTampa to Nasville
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"cannot guarantee you will sit with your children"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to El Paso with Southwest Airlines. If you fly with children, expect to be separated and to have your children fly next to adult strangers. They cannot guarantee you will sit with your children, although they try to sell you upgraded boarding. The upgrade also does not guarantee your seating with your family. It's disgusting and reprehensible. Karma is what happened to them with the MAX. Worth it to pay more with another airline and guarantee your seat.
RoutePhoenix to El Paso
Date FlownOctober 2019

"couldn’t use the plane anymore"

Not Verified | Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. We boarded the plane only for the pilot to tell us that we couldn’t use the plane anymore because of the window compressor being frozen or some sort. However, this was an inconvenience for me because I’m flying into Fort Lauderdale and now I’m going to be on the road extra late now do to the flight being delayed for an hour.
RouteAtlanta to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Friendly without a false feeling"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Atlanta. The personnel on the flight is what really made this a great flight. I have never run into a better flight crew. Friendly without a false feeling. On the lookout for problems and a way to help. Paired with the reasonable cost of airfare made this a pleasant flight.
RouteOrlando to Atlanta
Date FlownOctober 2019

"New seating is terrible"

Trip Verified | Columbus to Fort Myers. New seating is terrible, I will never fly Southwest Airlines again. Plane was cramped. I could not even sit with my wife on our way to honeymoon. I would not recommend.
RouteColumbus to Fort Myers
Date FlownOctober 2019

"it was a pretty smooth flight"

Not Verified | I flew from Houston to Columbus in August, and it was a pretty smooth flight. The cabin crew were very nice, so was everyone there. I would reccomend Southwest Airlines.
RouteHouston Hobby to Columbus
Date FlownAugust 2019

"I'm very angry"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Denver. Normally I like Southwest, but they sometimes force you to put both carry ons under your seat if neither is a roller bag. This is horrible. I have a bad knee and am not taking up unreasonable space in the overhead with a laptop bag and have a purse with things I need in the seat, and then save room to stretch out to avoid pain. They allow free checked bags and to punish me for not bringing on a huge roller is ridiculous - others can check or gate check a bag! I'm very angry. Maybe I should buy a roller just for my laptop so I don't have a back pack under my seat in addition to my purse.
RouteSan Jose to Denver