South African Airways

"a very pleasant flight"

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Johannesburg. Once again a very pleasant flight on SAA. The cabin crew was extremely professional and friendly. I fly many different airlines regularly and SAA ranks in my top 3 due to their excellent service. Their hard product may not be very competitive (still very comfortable though) anymore, but they surely make up for it in service and catering.
RouteCape Town to Johannesburg
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"carry on luggage were weighed"

Trip Verified | Washington to Accra. South African airways was the most affordable way for me to travel. If you are flying out of Washington, be mindful of your carry on luggage. All pieces of carry on luggage were weighed at least 3 times. If anything was over the limit, you were obligated to pay. If you go with South African, expect bad behavior and rudeness.
RouteWashington to Accra
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"definitely fly SAA again"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Cape Town. I was skeptical given the strike that only recently ended but I was pleasantly surprised by the ease and speed of the check-in. The plane was on time and the ground staff were excellent. Boarding was beautifully done and quick. We had a bus gate but that's a small qualm. Seats are old but comfortable. There were warm smiles all through the journey from the cabin crew. Drinks were a bit late in being served due to turbulence but we were informed accordingly. When they did come through, I was able to get more than one beverage. We arrived on time and my luggage was intact. Will definitely fly SAA again.
AircraftA320-200
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town

"friendly crew on board"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Cape Town. Good flight, very friendly service, helping and take care of customers. Good food, nice lounge before departure. Nice to fly with a friendly crew on board.
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"6 across in Business not acceptable"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Johannesburg. I've flown SAA over 50 times over the last 2 years, and without exception every flight has been on time. Crew have been consistently good. Now the moans, just flown on the A350 in Business, lovely aircraft, but 6 across in Business is not acceptable for a long haul flight these days, made worse by the fact that the seats on the A330-300 are 1-2-1 and are superb. There's no consistency. I travel to Europe regularly in Business and avoid SAA simply due to the seats on the older aircraft, they've been the same for over 15 years.
RouteCape Town to Johannesburg

"Keep up the good work"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | London to Johannesburg. I have been a SAA gold card holder for years and will always support them. However Mango their codeshare internal partner are another story, some times internal flight connections after a long haul are not available with SAA and I end up on Mango who honestly have a terrible ontime record I can’t remember the last one that was actually on time. Keep up the good work in the times of change ahead.
RouteLondon to Johannesburg

"delayed 1.5 hours"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Durban to Johannesburg. Airplane delayed 1.5 hours. I waited longer than the flight takes and they will only give a coffee voucher after 2 hours. No wonder they aren't a profitable company. Late for a meeting. I would never again trust this airline.
RouteDurban to Johannesburg
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Wonderful airline to fly"

(Malawi)

Trip Verified | Lilongwe to London via Johannesburg. Wonderful airline to fly on, the aeroplane is in great condition with so many wonderful things available to the customer. Staff are very attentive and would make any other top class airline shy with how they ensure professional attention. Food is great and tasty. Seats are a little small but okay.
AircraftA330-300
RouteLilongwe to London via Johannesburg
Date FlownNovember 2019

"delays have been ridiculous"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Lubumbashi to Johannesburg. Lately the delays have been ridiculous. Waiting for my flight to leave at 11:45 and left at 16:45. Wont issue again a ticket with them for sure!
RouteLubumbashi to Johannesburg
Date FlownNovember 2019

"did nothing to assist"

Not Verified | Washington DC to Dakar. I purchased a round trip ticket to Senegal, West Africa for $2089 on July 28, 2019 for departure on August 9, 2019. A few weeks after I arrived, I was notified that South Africa Airlines was no longer offering service to Senegal. I had to travel four hours one way to Dakar to visit the South African Airways office. That was on September 19, 2019. Once I arrived at the office, I was offered to re-route my flight to Belgium with Brussels Airlines, which was not my choice because it interfered with my connecting flight once I returned to the United States. I would have to return a day earlier than that connecting flight, and I was told that was the only option available to me. South African Airways did nothing to assist me with getting an earlier connecting flight nor did they offer to give me a hotel or compensation for the inconveniences they put me through.
RouteWashington DC to Dakar