Sky Airline

“odd baggage rules inconsistently applied”

(Peru)

Trip Verified | Beware, Sky’s carry-on dimensions are slightly smaller than international standard for a carry-on case. You may be asked to put your standard carry-on case in the measuring box displayed at the check-in counter. And it may be pointed out to you that, while your case slid into the measuring box easily, it is too long (not including wheels) by 1-2 inches. If so, you will be charged full price for checking the item; you won’t receive credit for the carry-on fee you already paid online. You will be told that it is up to you to inquire online about a refund. I question this surprise finding because I bought a “regulation” carry-on case and its size has never been questioned on various trips. I am skeptical of Sky’s allowable dimensions, and also of the inability of the check-in agent to apply credit for what I had already paid toward my new checked luggage fee. Sky ticket prices are good value but, like many budget airlines, you can’t know what you will pay ultimately due to odd baggage rules inconsistently applied. Advise: Don’t use a fixed-dimension carry-on bag when flying with Sky. (In the end, I ditched my std fixed-dimension carry-on case at the counter in favor of a shopping bag, and the check-in agent was satisfied.)
RouteAyacucho to Lima
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"purchased tickets with wrong date"

Trip Verified |  The airline's website is very unstable. In selecting dates, it jumped to different dates, not my selection. I did not notice and purchased tickets with wrong date. Once I found the error, I canceled the tickets and rebooked new sets of tickets. The tickets are Fare Plus, and by airline rules, are 100% refundable. The date I canceled the tickets is still 9 days away from the flight. I also received confirmation email of the cancellation and stating refund in 10 calendar days. By the 11th day, I saw no refund and I called the airline. Surprisingly, she told me only tax is refundable.
RouteLima to Cusco
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"pay for an additional 7 suitcase allowances"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | I purchased airfare for our group of 7, and purchased 7 carry on allowances. When we arrived at the Cusco airport, the attendant forced me to pay for an additional 7 suitcase allowances. I had no choice because we had to travel. The duplicate baggage fees cost much more than the airfare itself.
AircraftA320 Neo
RouteCusco to Lima
Date FlownJanuary 2024

“Horrible service, do not fly!”

Not Verified | Horrible service, do not fly! They canceled my flight 8 hours before departure, in other words while everyone was sleeping. Only to awaken 3 hours before departure. The service offered at the counter, after notification of cancellation was to either take a flight the following day or a full refund. Not bad if you're a retired world traveler with an open schedule. This is far from my position, like many travelers we all have pre-arranged schedules that don't coincide with an airline just deciding to cancel a flight for what I'm sure amounts to a "non-sufficient revenue generating flight." I've booked 2 local flights with local carriers while in Peru, both ended in the exact same scenario, a canceled flight at the last minute. The kicker is the customer service, no explanation, no service, no exceptions. Two options, fly the next day or a full refund! Myself, like many others had to find additional flights immediately, paying 3-4 times our original amounts due to last minute bookings. I don't complain much, but this type of service that uplifts everyones schedules is not exceptable in the business arena, fly Latam and most definitely not Skyairlines.com I'd love to hear from upper management with Sky Airlines directly if they're willing to have a public discussion.
RouteCusco, Peru to Lima, Peru
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"ability to handle the problem was zero"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | On holiday from Italy to Chile, we organized the trip by booking internal flights, tours and hotels months in advance. The only flights booked with Sky Airlines included departure from Santiago on 19 December at 07:50 with arrival in Calama (and then go to San Pedro of Atacama to visit the desert with 2 tours) and return from Calama to Santiago at 07:04 on December 21st. The company canceled the first flight for no stated reason that same night. Cancellation notification at 2.32am on December 19th with flight at 7.50am (on December 19th) and rescheduled the flight the next day. We had our tours booked and paid for, for the evening of the 19th and the whole day of the 20th, and we lost everything. We asked for a refund of the flight and compensation. The company denied the refund of the second flight (the one returning from Calama which we would have taken on the morning of the 21st at 07:00) because only the first flight was canceled (but it is not clear how we could have been in Calama to take the flight return as they had canceled the outbound flight and the rescheduled one was unacceptable and useless). We spent more than 2 hours on the phone with Sky Airlines trying to explain that going to Calama would be useless the next day and that the holiday was ruined, but the company (reachable only on the phone) kept parroting that their policy does not provide a refund for a flight that has not been changed. The service we received on the ground was terrible. None of the company's operators spoke English (we are in an international airport). From the gates they sent us to the ticket counters; at the ticket counters they told us that they can only sell tickets and can't do anything else. No company operator was able to give answers or resolve the problem, neither in person, nor on the phone, nor on the internet. The company's ability to handle the problem was zero. The behavior of the ground handlers and telephone operators was completely unprofessional.
RouteSantiago to Calama
Date FlownDecember 2023

"bag was allowed in one leg of trip"

Trip Verified | When we came from Lima to Cusco we were asked to just put the cabin bag wheels in for bag size check. While going from Cusco to lima they made us put entire bag into the size checker. How can the same bag that was allowed in one leg of trip not be allowed in the other. We were somehow able to fit the bag in their tiny size check but if we weren’t able to, they would have made us pay check bag fees on top of cabin bag fees.
RouteCusco to Lima
Date FlownSeptember 2023

"I had to book it over the phone"

Not Verified |   Had to rebook a flight from Santiago, Chile to Puerto Natales, Chile due to a missed connection. Tried booking on the website, but kept timing out when I tried to submit payment, so I had to book it over the phone with the SKY reservations number. I was trying to book two Fare Plus tickets which includes one Carry-on bag per ticket. There was an extra charge for the checked bag. When I tried booking on the website, to total cost was $1095.30, but the customer service rep making my reservation for me said the total cost was $1267.64 because I needed to pay for the carry-ons. I kept insisting to him that I did not; we only had one carry-on and with the Fare Plus ticket there was no extra charge for that. But he kept saying "not exactly" and I was stuck because we needed to make this reservation, else our whole trip would have to be cancelled. So I paid it only to find out when we got our boarding passes that we now had "two carry-ons" approved for each traveler (we only had one!) I called Customer Service from the airport and requested this extra charge be reimbursed. The women I spoke with was very helpful and understanding and put a Case Number in for us. That was on 4/6/2023. It's now 4/28/2023 and this issue is still unresolved. Every time I call, I get the runaround, put on hold for 30 minutes plus, and finally told I will hear back in a couple days. Nothing. Today the guy told me I'd hear back in a couple of hours. I do not believe him.
RouteSantiago to Puerto Natales
Date FlownApril 2023

"check-in my luggage for $40"

Trip Verified | Im flying back from Cusco to Lima, carrying the same carry-on luggage I have with an extender open. At the gate at Cusco airport, they wanted me to check-in my luggage for $40. I closed the extender and it did fit their size port but wont go through all the way due to wheels. I still ended up paying because they were insistent. However, on my way to Cusco from Lima 5 days ago, Sky airline allowed my luggage to be carry-on! Well, it’s really a carry-on luggage after all! It’s just annoying that my standard carry-on has to be checked in. When I got on board, there’s a bunch of space in the overhead bins because most people have checked their luggage with all the stuff that they bought.
RouteLima to Cusco
Date FlownApril 2023

"not recommend if you can avoid it"

Trip Verified | Sky Airlines will do everything they can to charge you fees. I had 6 flights with them, on 5 of them my bag was able to go but on the 6th they would not let it fly without paying the fees. My bag actually became less full throughout the trip, not larger. It was clearly small enough to fit in the overhead bin and on 5 other flights the boarding crew said it was fine, but some employees are stingy and will make you cough up money. So on the 5th flight they made me pay the fees. My wife's bag is half an inch taller (not deeper at all) and she had to pay for each flight for a bag that clearly fit overhead and was only a few centimeters larger than their allowance. No flexibility on anything, everything relies on fees. I also had other sour experiences with them. I sat in row 5 and tried to use the front restroom, the attendant told me to go to the back and by the time I reached there they opened up the front restroom. Overall would not recommend if you can avoid it.
RouteCalama to Santiago
Date FlownDecember 2022

"Avoid a headache"

(Peru)

Trip Verified | The boarding protocol and check engine took so long that they couldn’t depart at 1 am, then, around 2 am, Lima airport stop Sky Airline flying, because of being so late. In consequence, all the passengers had to wait until 5 am to do can flight to Miami. Many of us lost international connections because of this, with no solution just excuses. Avoid a headache and waste of time and money.
RouteLima to Miami