Shanghai Airlines

(China)

BKK-PVG. Had window seat but middle seat unoccupied so I got to stretch out. Cabin crew spoke little English but were friendly. Chicken with rice and veggies acceptable Economy airline food.

(China)

Shanghai PuDong - Ha'erbin. Check-in the easiest I've encountered. Took a bus a fair distance out to the plane. Flight wasn't full and they spread people seating throughout the plane. Seats good amount of space. The best flight experience I've had in China.

Shanghai Airlines customer review

Vancouver to Shanghai Pudong airport connecting Shanghai Airlines to Phnom Penh Cambodia. Staff at the Shanghai Airlines desk could not track down their plane that we were to board at 7:50 pm. (Turned out to be an almost five hour delay as they kept changing boarding gates on us too). They didn't delay or cancel the flight or take our baggage. Airline staff were very mixed up and didn't seem to care too much. Many people argued with them loudly. After two hours they said we'd better re-book for the next day and they'd look into hotel vouchers for an over-nighter and a bus would come. We were very jet-lagged and understood we only had a 24 hour transit visa in China which meant we'd be in trouble overstaying the visa if we re- booked for the next day. If this happened we assumed we'd be okay over-staying because the airline should look after this. Airline staff had no idea. We re-booked anyhow but right after they found the flight and began taking on passengers. When we tried to get our re- booked ticket on the 'found' flight which was our original flight they denied our ticket - said it wasn't valid or something. The only way to get out on our original flight was to buy a ticket on it at the counter. One airline counter staff woman told my wife it would cost 160USD each for each one way ticket. Fair enough but when we paid and got our etickets and read them they'd charged us $1915 USD! Counter staff wasn't able to convert the currency from CNY to USD. We argued with them to no avail and they merely said that was the counter price. We called Air Canada from the airport and they said their agreement with Shanghai Airlines ended Oct 30 - but we booked Oct 27th. Shanghai Airlines did not honor the ticket yet had a few days remaining. Pudong Airport does not honor toll-free calls. They take a very expensive cut at their terminal business center. The young girls at the Shanghai Airlines counters looked good but didn't speak much English were not informing anyone as to what was going on with the flight and basically tricked us into buying another ticket at a ridiculous price.

Shanghai Airlines customer review

SHA to HKG with B737-800. The seat was comfortable but legroom was quite tight. The cabin attendants were friendly and spoke good English. The meal was good (surprisingly sandwich on Chinese airline!). The flight entertainment was not available even though there was ear phone socket and they played some documentary on the overhead monitors.

Shanghai Airlines customer review

PEK-NKG and SHA-SZX. The flight from PEK was on a very old 757 with the narrowest seat pitch I've ever seen. I'm only 5'7" and my knees touched the seat in front of me! The bathroom was ancient and had only bar soap. On the plus side the breakfast was decent. SHA-SZX was after my China Eastern flight made an emergency landing so Shanghai Airlines used a 767 instead of a 757. The 767 was new and was quite comfy. Attendants friendly and sometimes nagged a bit about putting carry-ons in other bins that had space. Food also was good on this flight. There's absolutely no in-flight entertainment! There are headphone jacks but the system does not work.

(China)

Shenzhen-Shanghahi Hongqiao. Flight was delayed for 1.5 hrs because of aircraft late arrival and air traffic control terrible service bad food and very simple soft drinks were served. Flight arrived at the T1 of Hongqiao airport while Shanghai Airlines used bus to send us to T2 to claim the baggage.

Shanghai Airlines customer review

HKG-PVG-HKG (FM810 B767. Friendly check-in staff. Speedy boarding and fantastic catering and onboard service. Return flight efficient check-in (though no self check-in machines) and offered an extra legroom seat (1st row of the economy cabin).Cheerful service from the crew and a tasty 3 course lunch.

(China)

Shanghai to Hanoi on a new and clean 737-800. Once in the air the flight was one of the best experiences I have had on an Chinese airline only Hainan Airlines is comparable (these 2 are streaks ahead of the rest). FAs friendly helpful and looked genuinely happy. I had a random window seat in economy yet I had the most leg room I have had on any internal flight on a narrow body aircraft. The food was very good. If I needed to be somewhere on time for a certain connecting flight I might choose an airline that has a better ontime record but if time is not so much a factor the pros traveling with Shanghai outweigh the cons.

(China)

Shanghai Pudong-Incheon Gimpo-Shanghai Hongqiao. Flights delayed for 1hr for both 2 legs very cheap fares compare with OZ/KE - you pay what you get food's very normal service terrible Shanghai Airlines is more like a budget airline.

(China)

Shanghai to HoChiMinh City. We were loaded onto the plane the door was closed and then we were informed we would have to wait an unknown amount of time. We sat in the plane for 2.5 hours before taking off. I have to fly Shanghai Air often and every flight I have taken in 2010 has been delayed / held for takeoff / late by hours.