SATA International

SATA International customer review

SATA International flight on September 6 PDL-YYZ was delayed 3 hours due to a 'technical' issue. I do the YYZ- PDL route frequently and increasingly there are delays that last from a few hours until the next day (24 hours). This is very frustrating particularly when connecting through Toronto to/from another Canadian city. It is obvious that the A310 aircraft's are old and tired. Increased 'technical / maintenance' issues. Also with respect to in-flight entertainment I consistently have the same problem with no sound track for the movie. The music channels function but there is no sound for the overhead screen movie on my flights. I generally sit in the same area of the aircraft so this problem is persistently present. On a 6 hour flight this is unacceptable. SATA has little competition in / out of PDL that is probably a major factor.

SATA International customer review

My flight was from Boston to Portugal. My flight to Portugal was 3 hours delayed without any explanation. They will not make any delay announcement. Only way you will know your flight is delayed is when your scheduled flight time comes and goes and you are still waiting at the airport. They have no excuses or reasons. They will smile and say they are just having problems. Almost missed my connection from Ponta Delgada to Porto because of this delay. Asked the flight attendant on the plane what will they do if I miss it. She said "let me find out" and never returned. After couple hours of being anxious I asked another attendant who said "it will be ok". Luckily it turned out fine. On the way back from Portugal another 2 hours delay. A passenger I was speaking with mentioned that she was returning from Portugal and on her way there she lost her baggage for a 2 week trip. Sata has not been able to locate the bag. I spoke with several people that lost their bags on my flight. Luckily I was travelling with only carry on bags. Also if you try to contact them they only have a Portugal number listed so you can't get in touch with them without paying surcharge. The worst thing I saw was their boarding. They do not have any sort of order. They board everyone and there are no lines. IT is chaos. Old people should be boarded first but they literally get run over by people trying to get on the plane. Flight attendants will smile and make up an answer to any of your questions without any logic. At all cost avoid this airlines. Pay more. Save some money some other way but don't travel on SATA. Definitely do not check in a bag.

SATA International customer review

Flew out of Oakland to Terceira and to "treat" myself I decided to pay an extra $1000 and fly Executive class. Honestly I could've found better uses for that extra money I spent. For starters the flight was delayed 27 hours. No reason given. Then Oakland International Airport apparently had no first class lounge for SATA Executive Class passengers to use. So I spent time sipping margaritas at a Chili's located in the departure area. Then I get on the plane and the seat was broken! This is what they expect to treat First Class passengers with? The food was of average quality far cry from what I expected. Inflight entertainment consisted of iPads being handed out which served some purpose since the inside of their A310's are so horrendously outdated. On the first leg (Oakland/Toronto) they served a hot meal of a chicken breast that was nothing short of bland. The second leg (Toronto/Terceira) they served a cold sandwich wrapped in plastic. Once again their treatment of Executive class passengers (especially from a region that wants to tout "quality tourism") is probably below that of many African airlines. My bags supposedly marked "priority" were among the last ones to show up in the baggage claim. The return trip the seat was functional. But in regards to everything else pretty much the same. Next time I need to visit the islands I am seriously going to reconsider my route. SATA will need to do a better job if they want to see my money again.

SATA International customer review

For a flight between Boston and Ponta Delgada Azores both outbound and return flights were one hour late. In the latter case I had to really hustle to get to my connecting flight. I arrived to check in at the Boston ticket counter to find beyond incredible lines leading to just 2 desk clerks. Worse we were told that SATA was not checking in people from our flight. Two hours later I finally got checked in. Then it was on to the boarding area which was pretty much total chaos. We boarded more than an hour after the official boarding time. What a mess! On the flight in a really old plane they showed VHS movies on flimsy screens spaced every 30 feet. The VHS player was defective so the image jumped and fluttered throughout the flight. The food was mostly starch including a package of "Azorean Cookies" which no one in the Azores has ever heard of. The return flight was a little better but not much. Boarding passengers had to march down the tarmac past five SATA airplanes before reaching the one we were supposed to take. I am not sure why they picked a gate almost a football field away from the plane nor why with perfect weather in the Azores and in Boston why the flight was yet again delayed. One final nail in the coffin of ever using this airline again in their flight magazine the airline bragged that they had upped the on- time rate to an astounding 90+ percent. The on-time rate for my flights was zero percent! I guess that the acronym "SATA" probably means "Such A Terrible Airline"!

SATA International customer review

Our flights S4322 June 22nd 2014 from Toronto to Ponta Delgada and returning on July 7th 2014 flight S4321 to Toronto were very pleasant. Both flights were on schedule and we arrived 10 minutes early on both. We have flown SATA ever since the airline started flying to Canada. The service was excellent and the crew was spectacular. Meals and service were excellent. We had a couple of free drinks after the meals on both flights. On the way back we even had fresh cheese and for dessert the famous Queijada of Vila Franca. They supplied a bassinet for our 10 month old grandson. We highly recommend.

SATA International customer review

Flight PDL-YYZ on Sunday July 13. Flight left on time which was a pleasant surprise. I usually do the YYZ-PDL route a few times a year and delays are normal. Flight was only about half full so a little more seat room and over heard space that normal. Inflight service was horrible. No Food choice it was cod or nothing. Horrible cod casserole. Flight attendants disappeared after the meal service on the 6 hour flight - no water service of any sort. Movie screens were blurry and kept cutting in and out and there was No sound in my section of economy. Flight attendants couldn't care less or provide less customer service. Crew had too much attitude and no customer service focus.

SATA International customer review

BOS-PDL-OPO LIS-PDL-BOS. via PHL. We were delayed a couple hours out of Boston and I was certain to miss the leg to Porto to meet up with my sister. SATA held the flight so to Porto I went after all! Upon return through Lisbon there was a 7 hour 15 minute layover in Ponta Delgada. Again we were delayed from PDL to BOS where I just made my connection to PHL after negotiating Logans chaotic terminal layout. I put SATAs problems solely on management. The crew were friendly and worked hard to please. Service was attentive on all four flights much more so than any discount US routes I've flown. The airline food was ok the beverage service generous. Seats are wide enough but closely set. They are one of the few airlines left flying A310s which will be retired by 2016. Leave yourself at least 3 hours between other airline connections to accommodate delays don't plan anything really important on the first day in and be prepared for basic amenities at a good value by a small airline.

SATA International customer review

Once again I fly SATA. Once again problems! They too often run behind schedule. TV/Sound equipment always has problems. Outbound to Ponta Delgada from Boston movie starts playing audio starts 20 minutes later. Inbound from Porto to Boston large wall screen in our section wasn't working. We could not watch the movie. Asked crew twine about it never came back with an answer. Not surprised because the same thing happened with no audio on a trip 2 years earlier. The crew should spent less time doing a head count before departure and try harder to act upon customer's issues on board. I've complained via email to SATA about these problems before. They apologize and make an excuse and nothing gets done about it. Some competition with other airlines could help getting these problems resolved or avoid using them and try the competition.

SATA International customer review

Avoid at all costs! It is worth it to go through LHR EWR MAD etc. I have used this airline 3 times and each time I have been delayed over 12 hrs! Customer Service is non-existent. I was supposed to fly out this evening and received a call that it has been cancelled until tomorrow at 8 am. We will arrive LIS at 7pm and there will be no trains available to my final destination until the morning. They will not provide hotel car taxi as "LIS is the final destination". If I purchase a ticket it is essentially a contract. I purchased a ticket so I could get there in the morning. By cancelling the flight and rescheduling 12 hrs later is a breach of that contract and they should reimburse me! The cheaper fare is not worth the hassle and stress they give you.

SATA International customer review

What was supposed to be a direct flight changed without notice and stopped in PDL delaying the trip for a couple of hours. Was delayed on departure as well. Rude flight attendants and horrible service. No running water in the lavatories just a nightmare.