SA Express

"given no information, reason, apologies"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Bloemfontein to Johannesburg. My original flight was booked for 15:30. Arrive at the airport to be told that flight has been canceled, you are now on the 17:25 flight. If that was not enough of an inconvenience, that 17:25 flight is delayed till 20:50! We have been given no information, reason, apologies whatsoever. I was told by one ground staff that you don’t have enough planes that can fly so you have to “rotate“ them! Why do you sell tickets on flights that you can not provide? Shocking service SA Express. Would never fly with you if I had a choice.
RouteBloemfontein to Johannesburg
Date FlownOctober 2019

"No reason given for flight delay"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Flight details changed from 15.30 to 15.00 without notification. Then to 16.30, then to 17.15 then 17.50. Huge inconvenience as had to connect to King Shaka which meant changing my connection flight to 21.25 whereas I was originally supposed to have flown to King Shaka at 18.45. SA Express is the worst airline ever. No reason given for SA Express flight delay.
RouteKimberley to OR Tambo
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"inefficient operations"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Bloemfontein. A taxi rank operates 10x more efficiently than this airline. SA1003 scheduled departure 08h00. Actual departure 09h45. SA1014 scheduled departure 16h55. Actual departure 19h30. What kind of service is this? Don't try to excuse this by telling me that flights are sometimes delayed, because in your case twice in one day is evidence of poor management and inefficient operations. I paid for convenience and what I get is camping at both airports for my departure and return.
Date FlownJuly 2019

"at 0550 the gates were closed"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Bloemfontein. My flight was due to leave at 0610 but when I got to the boarding gate at 0550 the gates were closed. I went to SA Express counter but there was no one there to assist. I was the told by the check staff that I had to purchase another ticket.
Date FlownJune 2019

"told to book another flight"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Bloemfontein to Johannesburg. The service i got at Bloemfontein airport was horrible, I'm not happy at all. I arrive at the airport at 9:15 and they told me i can't check in for a flight that departs at 9:40. Every time their flight gets delayed i dont complain but when i arrive at 9:15 i was told to book another flight.
RouteBloemfontein to Johannesburg
Date FlownMarch 2019

"excellent customer service"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Bloemfontein. This review is more for compliment for one of your service staff at domestic departures. I had a connecting flight from CPT to Bloemfontein via JHB. I flew Mango to JHB and SAA Express to BFN. There was only 1 hour between arrival in JHB and departure to BFN. The baggage claims for Mango took way too long and l was going to miss my flight. Without my bag l ran up to the SAA express check-in counters for assistance. Staff really went over and beyond to assist me and make sure l didn’t miss my flight. He assisted to check me in and help to carry my bag from baggage claim up to the check-in counter and safely on the correct plane. All in time. Without is quick response and help l would have surely missed my flight. Well done for excellent customer service. Thank you.
Date FlownOctober 2018

"I don’t see why they are still flying"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | It was a Sunday afternoon when I got to King Shaka airport and I was flying to Port Elizabeth that evening. The flight was supposed to depart at 17.40 and land at 19.00. But instead the flight got delayed until 21.00. I’ve been flying this Durban, PE route on this airline since 2015 and most of the flights I’ve flown have always delayed by an extreme amount of hours. They give me the same excuse everytime I ask them why is there a big delay and they say technical issues with the plane. This flight that I took, they changed the time to 21.00 which meant that we were going to board at 20.30. It was 21.00 and I was still in the terminal building, we only left Durban at 21.50 and we got to Port Elizabeth at 23.00. The crew that flew us to PE came from Bloemfontein via Johannesburg. When I got to PE I saw many SA express aircrafts in PE, they also got delayed from Cape Town. Most of their planes have been sitting at OR Tambo International airport and then with all the excuses of technical issues, I question the safety of their fleet. I don’t think it’s worth flying with SA Express anymore, too many delays. The amount of delays I’ve heard from this airline I don’t see why they are still flying, if they going to provide service they must do it to the best of their ability.
AircraftCRJ700
RouteDurban to Port Elizabeth
Date FlownMarch 2018

"I am extremely disappointed"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | After already flying From Dubai to Johannesburg we are meant to be connecting to George, our final destination, flight was meant to depart OR Tambo at 15.50, it has been delayed to 18.30. Now we have already been waiting 5 hours for the connecting flight after already having flown 8 hours and waited 2 hours before the first flight, only to be told the reason behind the delay is a Technical Issue. They have 1 plane which is departing to another destination, after that flight arrives back from said destination they are preparing it for our journey to George. Why should the customers to George deal with utter delays because there is only 1 plane to commute to 2 different destinations due to a technical fault in one aircraft in its fleet. Already been over 15 hours journey, and all we wanted was to get home. Now my issue is a well known National airline should surely be able to make a plan to get another aircraft in to help ease the delay and help clients get to their destination. Instead we have to wait because a flight just left for another destination and will head back afterwards to take us. Having flown SA Express and booked in connection with SA Airways many times in the past, I am extremely disappointed in the service received this time around.
RouteJohannesburg to George
Date FlownMarch 2018

"apology for the inconvenience"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | 12 hours before flight departure SA Express only contacted some passengers to advise of a change in flight. Despite paying double for a direct flight we were re-directed via Johannesburg and what should have been a 2 hour journey ended up taking 8 hours! The way we were treated by ground staff in Cape Town and Johannesburg was appalling and despite raising the complaint numerous times have only had a standardised response and still no apology for the inconvenience. We were offered some compensation but only for 3 of the 4 travellers and still no response on this despite it being escalated to management. Do not recommend to ever use this airline
RouteCape Town to Pilanesberg
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"carrier imposed fees"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | George to Johannesburg. We book tickets for our two grandchildren twice a year. As they have to fly as unaccompanied minors, I have to make the booking through the call center. The fare indicated on the website for the specific flights was R1 182.21 per person for the return flights between Johannesburg and George. Before I gave all the traveler details, I asked the operator what I would have to pay and was informed that it would be R2364.42 per child. This excluded the R100.00 per ticket to be charged because I booked through the call center. When I called back to find out if the children had been accepted as unaccompanied minors for the flight and to make the payment, the amount was suddenly R2957.22 per child. That is 2,5 times more than when one would (and could) book on the internet! On checking the e-ticket (per child)one finds the following info: Fare calculation R697.50 x 2 = R1 395.00 rounded off to R1 400.00 plus taxes totaling R461.22 and "carrier imposed fees" R 1096.00 which brings the total to R2 957.22 per child.
RouteGeorge to Johannesburg