Rwandair

"Poor communication all round"

Trip Verified | Harare to Gatwick via Kigali. Worst airline ever. Problems after drones at Gatwick in Dec 2018, some of us were more or less chased away and others later put in hotels. No back up planes to clear backlog which meant we flew 4 days late with little communication. Flying back to UK - stuck on a hot plane which was being fixed for 2hrs, no water given after asking, terrible comms. The sad and most incompetent thing is eventually we were asked to disembark only to be told to sit down after getting our bags from cabin compartments. The only apology for this or news of why we were delayed was on reaching Kigali. Rushed to catch connecting flight - cant understand why the security gate is where it is for connecting customers at the airport. Arrived - our fragile parcel was well looked after but our bags were ripped, dirty (very dirty, oily dirty) and unrecognisable. Poor entertainment choice especially for kids. Poor communication all round. They will get you there but you will be very frustrated to the extent of being grateful that you made it yo destination. Never ever will i use this airline.
RouteHarare to Gatwick via Kigali
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"I'd recommend this airline"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Harare. Rwandair recently started flying directly from Cape Town to Harare and the convenience made me book them. This airline is surprisingly good; an up and coming African airline which we'll be sure to hear more of in future. The cabin interior is spotless and all staff friendly and efficient. The inflight catering and entertainment are average. I've flown this route a few times now and they seem to have a problem with delays of over an hour each time on this route whenever I've flown. Advance communication of delays were lacking each time. Overall, I'd recommend this airline if you're on a budget and don't mind the occasional delay.
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Harare. Worst airline ever. Flight was delayed by 4 hours. Later heard from friends that their previous flights with this airline on the same route had also been delayed, so it seems to be the standard with this airline. Happy to say I will never fly this airline again anywhere and would say to anyone who would like to know, fly at your own inconvenience. Extremely disappointed and lost customer. I give them a well earned zero out of ten.
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Aircraft very well maintained"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Aircraft very well maintained. Terrible to make transit transfers in DXB, had to struggle in the middle of the night with busses from T1 to T2 where there is always check in chaos and no signage nor separation of airlines. Had to insist on lounge access as the check-in counters could not care less about passengers. Was granted access to a sub par lounge in T2 called Marhaba. The bar sections was for smokers also so air was hazy. Poor boarding services: at gate on time but then shuttled around by bus for ages after waiting in the bus for 20 Minutes before it took off. Onboard nice atmosphere, great decoration of business cabin, great FAs, and good good caring. However, no menu cards nor drink list - sparse supply. Food acceptable and plenty. IFE worked well. Seats very nice and spacious, I slept well. Got dinner at night and got a full breakfast from Mombasa to Kigali. Good airline, though not attached to any alliance. Ticket not cheap, otherwise could have rated 8/10.
AircraftA330-200
RouteDubai to Kigali via Mombasa
Date FlownOctober 2018

"not a bad airline"

(Kenya)

Not Verified | The routing was Nairobi-Entebbe-Kigali-Lusaka-Johannesburg. Crazy itinerary however a good deal in terms of ticket price. First flight from Nairobi to Kigali was satisfactory. A330 from Kigali to Lusaka and Jo'burg offered lots of comfort with hot breakfast and hot snack served later. IFE was pretty pathetic on flights where it was available and otherwise non existent. On the return a terrible sandwich was served followed by a hot dinner. Overall not a bad airline, the cabin crew were very friendly. However ground services staff seem to be overwhelmed (especially when we flew the A330). Check-in was very slow both in Nairobi and in Johannesburg (Was told I was not on the list when arrived at JNB for Check-in!) and all except two departures were slightly delayed without any explanation or any information given. Good airline if you're trying to save money.
AircraftBoeing 737-700/800 / A330
RouteNairobi to Johannesburg via Kigali
Date FlownAugust 2018

"airline could be a good option"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Kigali return, with a stop in Brussels each way during which you stay on the plane. I was astonished at how good this airline was given prior experiences of African airlines, it is as good as the better European airlines. The planes seem to be pretty new (ours was a 2 year old Airbus A330). The seats were comfortable with plenty of leg room even in economy. The food was pleasant which is always a surprise on any airline in economy. The cabin crew were very friendly and professional. The return flight was on time and whilst there was a short hour delay outbound this was due to the ongoing air traffic control shambles in Europe this summer, not the airline. The only hiccup was a lost bag on the way back but this was resolved efficiently by the airline despite a complex onward itinerary - and the Gatwick luggage desk said it was extremely rare to have lost bag on this airline suggesting it is not a systemic issue. A final point, although we were not connecting in Kigali, many passengers were. They appear to hold onward flights in the event of delays so as a connecting option for various African destinations this airline could be a good option.
RouteGatwick to Kigali
Date FlownAugust 2018

"never ever fly Rwandair"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Abuja via Kigali. I was supposed to fly as per my boarding passes attached, we were notified that there is a flight delay and we won't make our connection, a promise was made that our bags will be offloaded and brought back to us. We waited and nothing happened, our business trip is compromised as all my presentation notes and suits are in the luggage, not to mention that the host had to make other arrangements as we were a day late. I am very dissaponted at how Rwandair treats its customers, we've made several communications to no avail. I will never ever fly Rwandair nor recommend it to anyone ever.
RouteJohannesburg to Abuja via Kigali
Date FlownAugust 2018

"crew were very friendly"

(Rwanda)

Trip Verified | The RwandaAir cabin crew were very friendly, informative, and could go the extra mile to ensure that the traveler's needs are met. The captain as well was welcoming. The food was enjoyable too, and people could be explained about the available choices before being served.
RouteKigali to Lusaka
Date FlownJuly 2018

"overall experience was just satisfactory"

(Zimbabwe)

Not Verified | Flew Cape Town to Harare with Rwandair. The flight attendants were cheerful and very helpful. The space inside the plane was excellent and so was entertainment. However, my checking in was a total nightmare. Spent almost 30 minutes trying to check in. As if the attitude wasn't enough, I was travelling with a minor and had a lot of bags, the lady kept asking me to remove my bags from the scale and put them back on the floor. She did not know how to check in a minor hence kept calling her supervisor who was busy chit chatting. She miscalculated my excess lagguage only for me to correct her (she did not even use a calculator). Asked me if I wanted to pay with cash or card and I told her card, only for her to say 'we only take cash'. Why didn't you just say so in the 1st place?. As if that is not enough, she spent a good 2 minutes asking me questions like "Are you sure you can identify the goods in your bags, are these your bags, are there any fragile material?" How can I be checking in bags that are not mine and if there was something fragile that needed proper handling dont you think I would have told you? Late Departure also. Since its a new route I think the overall experience was just satisfactory.
Date FlownJuly 2018

"really happy with both flights"

(Rwanda)

Trip Verified | I flew from Kigali to Lusaka (Return) and I was really happy with both flights. The service was efficient despite the flights being quite busy and the food served was good. Flights left and arrived on time. I would happily recommend Rwandair for travel within Africa and beyond.
RouteKigali to Lusaka