Rwandair

"Simply a horrific experience"

Trip Verified | Rwandair cancelled and rescheduled our flights multiple times and did not reissue our tickets - which made it difficult for operating carrier (ET) to find us in the system and check us in. After RW assured us that they have fixed our tickets, they again made changes to our returning flight from Kigali to Addis without informing us. We purchased a direct flight from Kigali to Addis departing at 16:20 and without informing us prior, they changed the flight to 15:15 (one hour earlier) with a stop in Bujumbura. When we arrived at the Kigali airport, Rwanda airline representatives were not transparent with us about the stop in Bujumbura and the change of the flight times. When we wanted to receive some answers about the flight time changes and the sudden stop in Bujumbura the airport staff became rude and tried blaming us for this situation (this discussion took place at 15:09 - and they seriously wanted us to proceed through security and immigration) when the departure time was 15:15. When I asked them if the aircraft is still there and if it will wait for us, they did not give me an answer. Hence we were not able to board the flight because of their failure to inform us about the flight cancellation and rescheduling - incredibly enough they did not want to take responsibility and in all seriousness told us that we had to purchase a new ticket for $900 per person! After holding us at the airport for 9 hours without eating and drinking we spoke with airport security who finally decided that the airline was in the wrong and pressured the Rwandair staff to put us on a new flight (which was their responsibility all along). Rwanda Air is incredibly incompetent and unprofessional in providing customer support and service and have absolutely no training in how to treat their customers. Throughout our nine horrific hours at the airport, we were harassed by Rwandair staff - and called "liars who wanted to miss our flight" by the head of Customer Relations himself. They put us into an incredibly bad situation and took no responsibility until they were forced to by airport security. In addition they lost our luggage (it never left Mumbai and it is nowhere to be found), which still has not arrived in Addis. Do not take this airline, because you do not want to be stuck in their hands when they make mistakes and are unwilling to correct them. Simply a horrific experience.
RouteAddis Ababa to Kigalii
Date FlownMay 2019

"good seat sizes and leg room"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Dar es salaam via Kigali. Plane has a good cabin configuration with good seat sizes and leg room in economy. Configuration at the rear of aircraft allows a large number of 2 seat, allowing easy/more access. Boarding at LGW was quick and easy. Cabin staff are efficient and happilyarrange passengers with infants and mobility to be in better seats/near bathrooms. Meals were very good, surprisingly, as the presentation was not great, it was a very bland looking tray when it arrived, but the food was very tasty, basic, in my case Salad, Chick curry and a chocolate sponge. On arrival at Kigali I was informed of a 6 hour delay to my connecting flight to Dar es Salaam, these are the moments that test airlines, how do they deal with this. In the same breath and informing me of the delay, I was informed we have a shuttle bus waiting downstairs to take you to a local 4* star hotel. Escorted to Immigration, front of que, a 10 second stamp of passport, to be whisked to the Hotel in 25 minutes to have a welcome juice/water, room keys and the wi-fi code. The room was a suite, toiletries and a note of what time lunch will be and pick up time back to the airport. Refreshed and fed, back 6 hours later, to have an uneventful connection to Dar es Salaam. Once again a bland looking lunch served on the plane, but again, it was very tasty, full of flavours. Kigali Airport, small, but works efficiently, the most armed Police I ever seen inside and surrounding an airport, but everything moves at a steady pace despite the numerous rigorous security checks.
AircraftA330-200
RouteGatwick to Dar es salaam via Kigali
Date FlownApril 2019

"excellent services"

Not Verified | Entebbe to Dubai via Kigali. With great pleasure, I want to thank Rwandair for their excellent services. While I was on a flight from Kigali to Dubai, I started feeling nauseated and having a stomach upset at the same time feeling weak. A member of staff was called to see what could have been wrong with me. She made me green tea mixed with lemon that helped within a couple of minutes. Putting that aside, the way she handled me and extended great concern seeing the condition I was in, only this was mind-blowing. She kept checking on me from time to time and made sure I was fine. Even when we landed in Dubai she made sure to ask if I was feeling ok.
RouteEntebbe to Dubai via Kigali
Date FlownMay 2019

"my first choice of carrier"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Kigali. The best way to get around Africa due to the young fleet of planes that is well maintained. Exceptional staff. Rwandair is always my first choice of carrier. Kigali is my favorite stopover city as well. I am glad they will be expanding with flights to New York soon.
RouteGatwick to Kigali
Date FlownAugust 2018

"our baggage has not arrived"

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Kigali via Dar es Salaam. The staff service was good and the flight in good condition, that's the only good part. When we landed in Dar es salaam we came to know that our baggage has not arrived and we would have to wait longer. Not only that non of the passengers who were traveling with us from Mumbai received theirs. On further enquiry came to know that they have failed to board the luggage of all the passengers traveling from Mumbai. Really disappointed. It's been a day and since not got any information regarding the same. Will never travel with Rwandair nor would I recommend this flight to anyone. Customer service and communication pathetic.
RouteMumbai to Kigali via Dar es Salaam
Date FlownMarch 2019

"disaster for night flights"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Flew on a narrowbody B737-800 at midnight on 2 March 2019 from Kigali to Dubai. Direct flight (in contrast to fly opposite direction). This aircraft has no lie flat seats which is a disaster for night flights. I purchased the ticket in faith of their refurbished A330, but they made an equipment change obviously due to low load. Check-in online is a joke and waste of time: after filling some 7 pages with info online they eventually laconically inform that “check-in must be done in Airport”. Worst: landed in T2 in Dubai, which is a messy LCC terminal and fought my way to T1 for onward flights. Homepage misleading and systematically hide info on booking class. Even their most expensive bis-ticket give only few miles which furthermore only can be used on Rwandair. Lounge in Kigali is fine but they have blindfolded all windows with tape to deprive passengers any view of tarmac which is painful, embarasing, and a misunderstood security issue. Luggage checked in to next destination only, thus had to fight again in Dubai for further luggage transfers. These 6 issues deprives rating 6 points of 10, leaving us with a poor score of 4. On the brighter side is the nice atmosphere onboard, great traditional Rwandan decorated interior in business cabin: FA’s were great and well caring. Champagne and welcome drinks provided. Menu cards and drink lists provided. Sparse supply, e.g. only one kind of beer and only two dishes offered for supper (only 2 options). The food was only passable but plenty. Breakfast of poor quality. Punctual airline with stunning, tall statured FAs. However, their flight equipment is limited and they are not attached to any airline alliance, thus miles earning is only for their Dream Miles Program, which is very stingy with miles even for full fare business tickets. Will chose Kenya Airways and Ethiopian in future despite detours (over NBO or ADD) as they are considerably cheaper and mostly have a better product.
AircraftB737-800
RouteKigali to Dubai
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Amazing cabin crew"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Amazing cabin crew, let me just say. Very attentive, funny and helpful. Very rarely do I see the cabin crew, literally, helping every single person to put their baggage in the overhead compartments. Very friendly wake up calls for food or landing! Very efficient with handing out meals and drinks, and didn't run out of anything, that I know of, on the flights. Seats were spacious and comfy (easily comparable to other big-name airlines). The Rwanda airport isn't impressive, but does offer free wifi and it seems like all connecting flights are only there for a very short layover (mine were 1 hour 19 minutes and the other 2 hours). Prompt boarding times! And every flight we landed roughly 10-30 minutes earlier then we were supposed to. I don't love the flight route, due to there being so many stops along the way, but definitely budget friendly, so can't complain over all.
AircraftBoeing 737 and A330
RouteCape Town to Dubai via Harare, Kigali, Mombosa
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"cabin crew were attentive"

(Cameroon)

Trip Verified | Dubai to Libreville via Kigali. Was comfortable with flight as cabin crew were attentive and available. Clean and arranged flights all the way through. Didn't enjoy transfer at Kigali however as Airport was not as organized as flight.
RouteDubai to Libreville via Kigali
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Poor communication all round"

Trip Verified | Harare to Gatwick via Kigali. Worst airline ever. Problems after drones at Gatwick in Dec 2018, some of us were more or less chased away and others later put in hotels. No back up planes to clear backlog which meant we flew 4 days late with little communication. Flying back to UK - stuck on a hot plane which was being fixed for 2hrs, no water given after asking, terrible comms. The sad and most incompetent thing is eventually we were asked to disembark only to be told to sit down after getting our bags from cabin compartments. The only apology for this or news of why we were delayed was on reaching Kigali. Rushed to catch connecting flight - cant understand why the security gate is where it is for connecting customers at the airport. Arrived - our fragile parcel was well looked after but our bags were ripped, dirty (very dirty, oily dirty) and unrecognisable. Poor entertainment choice especially for kids. Poor communication all round. They will get you there but you will be very frustrated to the extent of being grateful that you made it yo destination. Never ever will i use this airline.
RouteHarare to Gatwick via Kigali
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"I'd recommend this airline"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Harare. Rwandair recently started flying directly from Cape Town to Harare and the convenience made me book them. This airline is surprisingly good; an up and coming African airline which we'll be sure to hear more of in future. The cabin interior is spotless and all staff friendly and efficient. The inflight catering and entertainment are average. I've flown this route a few times now and they seem to have a problem with delays of over an hour each time on this route whenever I've flown. Advance communication of delays were lacking each time. Overall, I'd recommend this airline if you're on a budget and don't mind the occasional delay.
RouteCape Town to Harare