Royal Brunei Airlines

"ability to provide better"

Trip Verified | On my first leg from Bandar seri Begawan to Singapore on a new A320Neo aircraft, the cabin was very fresh and clean. The flight leave on time with no issue, but the IFE was not working. Shortly after take off, the IFE was not working, i tried to inform the crew about it, but the senior crew was busy chatting with the crew in the back galley. 30 minutes later, i told one of the crew about the IFE, he said he will inform his superior. On my way back from Jakarta to BWN, a new A320Neo, once again everything seems good about the cabin, the IFE was working before the aircraft push back from the stand in CGK. Took a little time to browse the IFE. I fly with RB every month since July. The TV guide and other movie list / channel has never been change or refresh. The movies and TV channel were very out dated and its getting bored to watch the same film or tv program again and again. I finally get the chance to select a movie and the flight into an hour later, the IFE restart itself! I think this airlines has the ability to provide better products and the services, including the crew (dealing with problems) need more training in customer service.
AircraftA320N
RouteBrunei to Singapore
Date FlownNovember 2018

"staff could not be faulted"

Trip Verified | I travelled from London to Melbourne via Dubai and Brunei in 26 hours and returned Melbourne to London via Brunei in 23 hours. I thought the return flight was scheduled to stop at Dubai (3 flights of approx 7 hours each on way out was a very easy way to travel) so my concerns of travelling on a 14 hour flight was turned on it’s head. As we flew out of Melbourne in the evening we chased the night. The whole journey back was in darkness so it was ideal to sleep whenever you wanted. Last time I travelled with Royal Brunei (6 years ago) was not a great experience. This time it was so much improved. The comfort of the reclining seat and back rest was good for economy. The food was better than most plane food although not excellent. My last trip to Melbourne on Cathay Pacific three years ago was an awful experience in food and staff. The staff on Royal Brunei could not be faulted. They were attentive and helpful always with a smile. The journey was not interrupted by constant messages from the captain so it was relaxed and peaceful. The toilets were always clean. Downside was that there was not a great choice in new films. I had seen most films on offer as they were older films. The strict rules of Brunei airlines means that films are adapted to remove sex, bad language and too much violence. This obviously restricts choices. Secondly, the plane running from Brunei to Melbourne and back is not a Royal Brunei but a partner airline. All was much the same but the plane was older and Seats did not recline as well as the Royal Brunei plane and it only had a few film choices (less than 10) which were the same on both outward and return flights. On my outward journey, fatigued, I managed to leave my Kindle Fire on the plane. After landing at Melbourne I contacted Royal Brunei thinking that I would never see it again. Within a week they contacted me and told me it was at Brunei and I could collect it on my return. When I arrived at Brunei on the way back I was helped by a wonderful lady who personally took me to Lost and Found and sorted out the return of my Kindle. As there was a fast turnaround time of about 40 minutes between flights. She deserves a special mention as I don’t think anybody in any other airport would be as kind and helpful as she was. I paid £660 for the return flight which I felt was best available. For the money I can’t fault it. I have travelled back and forwards to Australia 9 times in the last 18 years and this 23 hour return is the fastest yet.
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Brunei
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Budget (at best) in actuality"

Trip Verified | Business class Flew from Melbourne to London. Aircraft - old and very outdated internal fit out, down to the entertainment technology. Latest movies is a loosely used term. No movies currently showing at the cinemas are available - in fact, nothing ‘new’ from the past few years, apart from 1 (‘Adrift’) . Food - above average if we had been travelling in economy, below for Business Class. Flight attendants - as always, it’s a mixed bag. First leg the crew were almost military-like in their procession of serving and clearing away the meal in record time. And then the only time they were seen was when they performed almost half hourly cleans in the toilets (not complaining about that). Second leg it’s hard to comment as I was asleep for most of it although it was quickly obvious that the staff in charge of cleaning the toilets were no longer onboard as they were not in a great condition when I went to freshen up after my nap. Final leg - not outstandingly good or bad - but service crew who ‘refreshed’ the plane during the stopover in Dubai. Missed the toilets (NB 2 hrs out from London and no one has cleaned them since Brunei). Overall, it feels like the staff who serve in Business Class find it a nice treat to have a smaller area to work within but none were particularly motivated to assist with making the journey ‘special’ for passengers. Right down to the distribution of the ‘fast track’ pass through customs. My travelling partner was somehow recorded as travelling on a UK passport so ineligible. Despite clarifying that it was actually an Australian passport and a mistake by the airline, there was ‘nothing they could do’ because there was only a specific allocation of these cards! Seats fully recline as promised. Rock hard and unforgiving in any co figuration. There is a seat massager - didn’t work on any of out seats in any leg of the journey. Passenger amenities - no effort out into these packs. They are almost as good as what is distributed to economy passengers on other airlines. Socks, ear plugs and an eye mask that smells so much of the plastic it is made from you cannot wear it for any length of time. The blankets were thin and inadequate. Overall - Royal by name. Budget (at best) in actuality.
RouteMelbourne to London via Brunei / Dubai
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"definitely worth the extra"

Trip Verified | Got upgraded via the online offer system - paid just under 1/2 of the fare to fly Business class so I understand that my review is not for the full fare on this route. This was my only experience flying anything besides economy class - so I don't really have much to compare it too. Upon boarding I got the rearmost row to myself, as there were only three other people in the cabin. The most noticeable thing was the lack of an IFE system in the seat, instead you get given an iPad (in a rather nice RB branded case) with a selection of films and TV shows. The quantity of content wasn't as comprehensive as Emirates or Qantas, however what was there was good - and easily enough for a ~2h flight. Might be worth mentioning that the particular episode of a TV show I ended up watching was censored pretty heavily - I've seen lines being cut before but it makes you wonder what the point of having a show like that is if most of the comedy has to be cut/blurred out. The main point I would like to really commend on is how welcome I felt, as a backpacker who just wanted to try Business for the experience on the cheap I really appreciate how despite obviously not belonging there (considering how well dressed the other passengers were) the cabin crew made it seem normal and relaxing. Even though I didn't get to use the lounge in Singapore it was definitely worth the extra for that flight - however the economy on their A320's isn't too much of a downgrade for me at least, especially considering it would have been nearly 3x cheaper than the full business fare.
RouteSIN to BWN
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"good feeling when flying RBA"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Melbourne via Bandar. I flew this airline after 10 years since I flew them. Check in was easy despite that the plane was full. Seat of the 787 was really comfortable & fine leg room, entertainment system was just fine & serves the purpose perfectly. Brunei Airport was refurbished, still cosy, however, I think it needs a bit of Duty Free feeling to it rather than a small bazaar shops they have. No complaint on that. The only thing I hate about this airport is the fact that the Smoking room was closed for maintenance. Brunei to Melbourne flight, again, no issues, on time departure, meal was good (choose their regular meal as the vegetarian meal was really bad as many passengers who order it didn't bother eating it), landing was on earlier than the scheduled time, so it give me plenty of time to stretch out, smoke, eat & check in to my domestic flight to Sydney. What I love the most about them that they always manage to takeoff on time & land earlier than scheduled. All in all, a very good feeling when flying RBA.
RouteDubai to Melbourne via Bandar
Date FlownDecember 2017

"definitely fly them again"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Hong Kong via Bandar Seri Begawan. Great service at check in at Tullamarine then a bit of a search for what was a pretty basic lounge. Boarding was easy and the crew to BSB were fantastic. Meal was good and if you wanted anything they were there very quickly. We were staying overnight in BSB and were not told that we had to pay $5 each for a visa but at least we got a nice stamp in our passport. Flight from BSB was on an A320 and again very comfortable and great service. On return from Hong Kong to BSB the lounge at HK was excellent as was the business lounge at BSB. Crew on this flight also very good. Then again only 4 of us in business class. Boarding the 787 to Melbourne was a bit clumsy at the gate. Told by a passenger next to me who had been on the flight from London that my seat was broken and would not go flat. Found this to be true but in the end 3 crew members jumped all over it and got it sorted. The meals were good. Didn’t miss the grog. While the crew seem to disappear they do respond quickly if you buzz them and nothing is too much trouble. Would definitely fly with them again.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A320
RouteMelbourne to Hong Kong via Bandar
Date FlownMay 2018

"never fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | London to Dubai. I checked my luggage in at around in between 3pm to 4pm my flight was leaving at 5pm, my case was over by 3 kilos and staff informed that I must go and take the extra out which I did. I went back to her, and staff stated that I was 1kg over and if I wanted the extra kilo I would need to pay. Staff on the other side called me and told me to put my case for her to weigh which I did and the weight was 27 kilos. Because of the discussions about the weight of my case I was unable to buy any duty free because of the hold up. I have flown with this airline many times, and have never encountered a problem before. After this experience I will never fly this airline again. I like the people from Brunei and the cabin staffon the flight.
RouteLondon to Dubai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"crew were warm and welcoming"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Melbourne via Brunei. For this journey, Royal Brunei offered an all inclusive fare (seat allocation, meals, bag) at a great price. This review relates to the return Bangkok - Melbourne. The first leg from Bangkok to Brunei on an older A320 was OK. Then three hours in Brunei, made quite pleasant by the newly renovated airport which feels airy and spacious, if a little sombre. I find the lack of alcohol on the planes and at the airport in Brunei quite refreshing, so this wasn't a concern for me. Seats on the 787 overnight flight to Melbourne were comfortable, even for a taller person, made better by the fact that the plane was only around half full, and the fact that the very considerate person in front of me never reclined her seat. I have never travelled on a full 787, so cannot comment on how comfortable the 9 across format would be on a full plane. My special meal was very nicely prepared, and the crew were warm and welcoming, doing water/juice runs, as well as a snack run (sweet or savoury) towards the end of the flight. I spent most of the nights watching movies from a reasonable selection of US and foreign language films. Only major problem - at no time did I see any member of crew cleaning the toilets, and more than an hour before landing the floor of the nearest toilet was disgusting - a deal breaker for me.
AircraftA320/B788
RouteBangkok to Melbourne via Brunei
Date FlownMarch 2018

"comfortable travel experience"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh City via Bandar seri Begawan. Royal Brunei Airlines provided comfortable travel experience, the services are excellent and you get a chance to stop over to visit Brunei with friendly people and explore the natural wonders of the island.
RouteMelbourne to Ho Chi Minh via BWN
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"staff were so polite and pro-active"

(Nepal)

Trip Verified | London to Bandar seri Begawan via Dubai. I was so pleased but the service and hospitality being given to us. The cabin staff were so polite and pro-active to provide service and help. Foods and drinks were supplied adequately. I strongly recommend travellers to take an experience of flying from it.
RouteLondon to Bandar seri Begawan via Dubai