Royal Brunei Airlines

"never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to London via Brunei on 11th January. The flight on the way there from London to Melbourne on the 28th December had a 1.5 hour stop over in Brunei delayed and changed to a 9 hour stop over, and we were only informed the day before the flight. Assuming there wasn’t enough people to fill my flight so they cancelled it and just forced the poor people who happened to be on the flight to a much later one. Tried to call customer service twice, expensive International calls because the local line was shut as it was a weekend and was told both times they would send over hotel and compensation details in a few hours .. 24 hours later I had to get on the plane with no information about what would happen on arrival and it ended up taking another 2 hours once there to even figure out where to put us with most of the staff not even knowing that the flight was even delayed at all. I thought it couldn’t get any worse and was hopeful on the return flight that I would get home on time but no such luck. Flew from Melbourne to Brunei without an issue then the flight took off from Brunei to London but within an hour had turned around and force landed back in Brunei. The staff at the airport had no idea and were not helpful in the slightest. There was no wifi to contact anyone to let them know with the exception on using a horribly connected hotspot from one of the staff for about 10 minutes. The airport was freezing and they said it would likely be around 8 hours before the flight could take off. They said they couldn’t put us into hotels as “there weren’t any available” so we were just expected to sit in the airport for all this time with no guarantee of the flight even leaving. The communication was so bad that no one ever knew what was actually happening or where to go, and unless you specifically went and searched the airport for the few and far between staff and asked them there was no information given. In the end we landed in London almost exactly 12 hours later than we should have. I cannot believe how bad the experience with Royal Brunei was and I will never fly with them again.
RouteMelbourne to London via Brunei
Date FlownJanuary 2020

15th January 2020 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Thank you for your time sharing this review. We apologize for the technical issues that led to the delay of the flight at short notice. We were facing operational constraints at that moment, but we wanted to try our best to get our guests to their final destination on time. Nevertheless, the information provided will be shared with the relevant department and proper remedial actions will be taken. Please kindly provide us details of your flight including your ticket reference to [email protected], for our further investigations Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies for what you went through. We hope you will give us an opportunity to provide you with a much better experience and restore your confidence in us in the future.

"airline did not apologise"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to London via Brunei in August 2019. The first flight was Melbourne to Bandar was meant to be a 787, and when we boarded it was an A320, claustrophobic and uncomfortable it was for a 7 hr flight. Trapped in narrow seats, with hardly any leg room. I upgraded at quite a cost to business class for this leg on my return flight as we did not want to undergo this again. Bandar to London was OK, very average and nothing much to comment, but the airline did not apologise for the inconvenience of the first leg, let alone making any amends. All in all not a good experience, and I would never fly this airline again .. just a 100-200 dollars cheaper than others. Not worth it.
RouteMelbourne to London via Brunei
Date FlownSeptember 2019

13th January 2020 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear @S Thawayana, Thank you for your time sharing this review. We apologize for the technical issues on our B787 originally meant for your flight that led to the an aircraft swap at short notice. We were facing operational constraints at that moment, but we wanted to try our best to get our guests to their final destination on time. We are aware of the difference in travel experience on both aircrafts, hence when such solutions are chosen, we offer all our affected guests with an apology letter and compensation for the change of aircraft. If this did not reach you, kindly contact us at [email protected] and our team will ensure this is done. Once again, kindly accept our sincere apologies for what you went through. We hope you will give us an opportunity to provide you with a much better experience and restore your confidence in us in the future.

"but you dont have to yell"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Brunei to Tokyo. I was seated at 39. it was a full flight and when come to meal service, a male purser was offering my seat mate a choice of Fish and Beef. When come to my turn, he didnt ask me what would i like but asking me any drinks for you sir? Moments later my meal is given to me and i ask him what is the main course, he said its fish. As i have not fancied fish meal, i ask him what can i have. Heraise his voice at me, "we do not have the beef anymore, what we have left is fish". I told him i do not eat fish so ask if beef is available on the other cart? He is reluctant and without checking said this is full flight and we dont cater extras meal on board, its just fish we have left. do you want it or not! I told him to take back the fish meal and left me with the small portion of dessert that came with the set meal! I understand the meals are limited to selection especially when you seated in the middle section of the aircraft when meal serving are last, but you dont have to yell or speak loud to me when everyone needs to turn back and look at me. Its kind of embarrassing for that moment!
AircraftA320Neo
RouteBrunei to Tokyo
Date FlownDecember 2019

31st December 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear C Kan, Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. Excellent customer service is one of our top priorities, and we are disappointed to learn that you had anything less than that on your recent flight to Tokyo with us. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further and will be glad if you reach us at [email protected] to share your exact flight details. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you.

"I was disappointed"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Melbourne via Brunei. I was travelling with Royal Brunei for the last 5 years as they got a very good service but this time I was disappointed. Flight was delayed for 4 hours and only came to know about the delay when i reached the airport and then for 6 hours due to bad weather. I was waiting at the airport from midnight, they keep changing the gates and lots of confusion happened in between. At last the flight took off at 13:30 Pm. No one was offered any food or water for the delay. After the flight took off only got a small meal and a bottle of water. No juice or soft drink. I was expecting more food (as my experience in past) later but we didn't got anything and the crew was not helpful. The flight had less leg room. We land in Melbourne 8 hours late due to delay (11:45 am). Didn't get much for breakfast and coffee. I was travelling with Royal Brunei from 2014, but all other times we got great service and this was so terrible.
RouteDubai to Melbourne via Brunei
Date FlownDecember 2019

31st December 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear M Darson, Thanks for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We always try our best to deliver a great experience despite the challenge when we face such unforeseen circumstances. All our guests definitely need to be well taken care of during such prolonged delays. Hence we would like to know more details of your flight to look into this matter. Kindly reach us at gx.rba.com.bn if you would like to discuss this further with us. Your loyalty means a lot to us so we will definitely use your feedback to improve our services. We hope to hear from you soon.

"definitely recommend Royal Brunei"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to London via Brunei. I’m working as a paramedic in UK and must fly at least twice a year to Brisbane, where my children live. For the first time I used Royal Brunei and I was very impressed. The short lay over and small price determined me to use RBA. First impression was the humble and professional attitude of the staff, very clean planes, good leg room, amazing food. Crew walked the extra mile to accommodate passengers, me included and their service was amazing. The flight’ s attendants leaders on the Brunei-London leg took the time and listened to my feedback. Reintroduce the short lay over middle way between Brunei-London. I definitely recommend Royal Brunei.
RouteBrisbane to London via Brunei
Date FlownNovember 2019

7th November 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear S Mardun, Thank you very much for taking the time to share an excellent review about us. Our team works hard to ensure a great guest experience is provided for all our guests and we are glad that we achieved this with you on your recent flight with us. Your positive feedback will be shared with our cabin crew team who will be very glad to hear about this. Once again, thank you for choosing Royal Brunei Airlines. We look forward to welcoming you onboard again on your next return flight to Brisbane and hopefully for many years to come. Cheers!

"airline was closed over the weekend"

Not Verified | London to Melbourne via Brunei. Flight was good and crew were great. But upon trying to check in online I had noticed that my 4 year old daughter and 15 year old son were allocated seats away from me. When I tried to change seats nothing happened. Tried to contact my travel agent and she said that the airline was closed over the weekend. What sort of supposed international airline isn’t contactable 24/7? So now I had to wait till the last minute to sort this out. I thought that it was a duty of care that minors were seated with their parents? If you want customer service don’t fly Royal Brunei.
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Brunei
Date FlownOctober 2019

22nd October 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear S Weir, thank you for sharing this review. We are so sorry to hear about your negative experience when trying to choose your seats online and apologize that our London town office was closed during the weekend. We are looking into solutions to provide assistance to all our guests from our other available representatives during weekends. For families travelling together, our team always prioritizes pre-flight checking to ensure families are seated together, therefore your case was immediately looked into and fortunately, we are able to find a solution for you just in time to make things right for your Melbourne flight today. We hope this will be convenient for you and your family and we hope to be able to welcome you onboard our flight again in the future.

"cabin crew very professional"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to London via Bandar Seri Begawan. The plane was elegant, the cabin crew very professional and made a long flight more pleasant. The food was great. I have to say that Royal Brunei is my favorite airline. The planes are new, Brunei airport is fairly small and easy to get around and to check in or transit, while the ground staff is polite. The inflight entertainment is very good, but there are spaces for improvement. Toilets and planes are the cleanest.
RouteMelbourne to London via Bandar Seri Begawan
Date FlownOctober 2019

15th October 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear G Meecher, Thank you for sharing this awesome review. Hearing that you had a wonderful experience flying with us is the best thing we could hope for. Your positive recommendation means a lot to our team who work hard to meet expectations like yours. Once again, thank you for choosing our airlines, we look forward to serving you for many years to come!

"demanded bag be placed in the locker"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Manila via Brunei. Seating and food was good, as you'd expect in business class, but the real irritant was the business class steward on the final sector who demanded my shoulder bag be removed and placed in the locker. To be clear this was a small bag, secured around my neck with strap and hanging on the opposite side, so extremely well anchored to me and not by any definition was it a loose article. But you know how it goes when it turns officious.... she told me that it was a loose article yet the pillow and blanket packages in the empty cabin seats were ok to sit unsecured on seats. The same again for landing. You can't argue with this attitude. Disappointing attitude, completely officious and illogical and for this hassle, I wouldn't go with RB again.
AircraftA330 / A320neo
RouteDubai to Manila via Brunei
Date FlownSeptember 2019

2nd October 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear Sean Leceister, Thank you for sharing your review. At Royal Brunei, we strive our best to ensure strict safety standards for the benefit and safety of all our guests. It has always been a procedure for our crew to ensure that handbags of all sizes are stored in the overhead compartment as a safety requirement during taxi, take off and landing. This is to avoid any safety risks/ obstacles/ impacts during an emergency. We apologise if this has been inconvenient for you or if this was not properly explained in a courteous manner at that time. We do hope to welcome you onboard with a much better experience in the future.

"lacking in cabin crew services"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Bandar Seri Begawan to Kuala Lumpur. I must admit that Royal Brunei's service is excellent. Good on time performance, aircraft using a new fleet, exciting in-flight entertainment options, efficient check-in process. But to be honest I am a little lacking in cabin crew services, several times I had to call the cabin crew to ask for additional drinking water but it takes a long time for them to respond.
RouteBandar Seri Begawan to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2019

26th September 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear Yudha Fitriansyah, Thank you for your kind review. While we are glad to know that you really enjoyed your experience with us on ground and on board our new fleet, we would like to apologize that it took a while for our crew to expedite your request on air. Rest assured that we will always strive our best to improve the cabin experience for all our valued guests, so your feedback will be shared with our team for review. Once again, thank you for your kind recommendation. We hope to welcome you again onboard our flights in the near future. Sincerely, Amal - Guest Experience and Delivery

"IFE not working"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Brunei to Kuala Lumpur. My seat at 43A, IFE not working, shortly all aircraft doors disarmed, I ask a female cabin crew if she can reboot my IFE. Inflight Entertainment System. She said later and walk straight away. 10 minutes after airborne, i ask her again if she has already done the restart, she looked lost and said she is doing it now. another 10 minutes gone, i approached a senior cabin crew and I ask her if I can switch my seat to the front (as the back rows were full) and told her my situation with the IFE. She is very reluctant to answer me that the front first three row (which is identical size to my seat but were reserved seat options) were for paying customer only. I told her if she can do anything for my as my IFE is not working. She said she will reboot the system. few minutes later, they start the inflight meal service. Crew were very busy doing meal services, so i just not be bothering asking anyone of them again. 15 minutes before touching down, iI went to the lavatory and saw the same crew again and I told her my IFE still not working. Without hesitation, she answered I have restart the system, if the system not responding, there is nothing I can do. A very disappointed cabin services.
AircraftA320Neo
RouteBrunei to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2019

16th September 2019 : Royal Brunei Airlines response

Dear G Chan, Thank you for posting a review and we’re sorry to hear that your experience was not of the quality you expected. We would like the opportunity to investigate your feedback further. Please feel free reach out to [email protected] with your flight details and any further comments, concerns, or suggestions you wish to share. We would love to make things right and offer you a better experience with us onboard in the near future.