Royal Brunei Airlines

"I had a great experience"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | I flew to Bangkok, Thailand from Surabaya, Indonesia with this airline for the first time. In my opinion, I had a great experience. The cabin crews are very kind and helpful. The seats are comfortable and I like the design as well. The food is tasty. There is enough legroom for me. Besides, I like the inflight entertainment since the movies are updated so it's not boring at all. The aircraft is clean and smart looking. However, it would have been much better if all the aircraft of Royal Brunei Airlines are equipped with personal inflight entertainment, not just overhead TV or WiFi connection because it would be so boring and not pleasant. Basically, I would like to recommend this aircraft to my friends and I would love to fly with Royal Brunei Airline again.
RouteSurabaya to Bangkok via Bandar Seri Begawan
Date FlownJune 2019

"very happy with the service"

Not Verified | Melbourne to Bangkok via Brunei. I have flown twice now with Brunei business class and must say great airline and was very happy with the service and staff friendliness, terrific food as well. I also find the people of Brunei very friendly and welcoming. I am now a member of there frequent flyer program.
RouteMelbourne to Bangkok via Brunei

"Horrific experience"

Trip Verified | London to Melbourne via Brunei. Horrific experience. Travelling solo with a 15month old. I understand that he does not pay so doesn’t automatically get a seat. He sat on my lap for the first 15 hours. Staff offered no support with helping me with bags, to entertain him while I needed the toilet etc, they didn’t provide a meal for him, when I asked they told me I should have specially requested one. I asked for them to do this for the second leg of the trip- they didn’t. When asked if they could provide some fruit, I was told by one staff member ‘we only give it out at snack times to the adult passengers.’ The nappy change table is a weird oval shape and the babies legs hang over, setting the sensors for the tap off. It’s hard enough changing in limited space, but the nappy change table meant some creative yoga poses. The second leg the flight was half empty, my child was once again on my lap. I asked if I could move to the row in front so he could lay on the spare seat and we could both get some sleep. I was told no, that those seats you have to pay more for - they were identical to the one I was sitting on. I asked to speak to someone more senior who then agreed. There is no way i’ll be flying with Brunei again for the poor service. The airport is horrific, nothing to do. Basically no food to purchase other than chocolate and crisps. Go with someone else!
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Brunei
Date FlownApril 2019

"their response was nothing short of appalling"

Trip Verified | Avoid this Airline at all costs for long haul flights. If you buy a ticket with this airline you only have yourself to blame when things go wrong. For the second time in 2 weeks Royal Brunei have cancelled their Brunei to London flight resulting in delays of more than 12 hours and hundreds of stranded passengers. They knew full well when we left Manilla that there was no serviceable aircraft waiting in Brunei and one was having to be flown in from Jeddah. Despite knowing they had 100 plus passengers arriving their response was nothing short of appalling. Staff giving contradictory info as to what next. Passengers left outside the terminal in the early hours of the morning to wait up to two further hours for 16 seat buses to get checked into a dirty smelling hotel with no food and water provided. Passengers in wheelchairs just dumped outside. The replacement flight was due to leave 11.45 next day this also delayed due to "technical difficulties" on a different 787. Ground staff could not care less, we had to argue for nearly 60 minutes just to get access to WIFI so we could update friends and family of our late arrival. To top it off despite having our bags in the airport overnight they did not join us when we eventually arrived in London. 28 hours to get from Brunei to London. I've been flying over 20 years and we've all had delays it's part and parcel of long haul travel. The difference here is how Royal Brunei conducted themselves both during and after. They should be absolutely ashamed of the way they treat their customers. Royal Brunei point blank refuse to compensate passangers. Lesson learned I guess, beter to pay that little bit extra and fly with a experienced long haul carrier that holds that 5 star rating.
RouteManila to London via Brunei
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"directing my custom elsewhere"

Not Verified | I'm a regular traveller to Europe and gave Royal Brunei Airlines a try based on price and a recommendation from our travel agent for a quick trip trip to Europe with my teenage son to attend a football game. Beware one may save some dollars over flying alternative airlines but you have to consider last minute changes and delays which appear to be a common thread travelling Royal Brunei Airlines. It's so true you really do pay for what you get. Melbourne London and return with Royal Brunei Airlines to travel around Melbourne Cup week. Booked business class, told 3 weeks later we would be flying on a 3rd party airline but don't worry it will have flat beds travelling on an A340 etc. Checked at Melbourne only to be told our first leg would be flying on an A320 with what could be best described at premium economy, not ideal for an overnight flight. All 4 flights to and from London were either late departing or late on arrival (in most cases both). A reasonable compensation proposal was forwarded to Royal Brunei Airlines with the airline declining our request stating some of their standard T&C's. I will be directing my custom elsewhere and would advise anyone thinking of flying Royal Brunei Airlines to reconsider.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 787
RouteMelbourne to London
Date FlownNovember 2018

"failed to show any understanding"

Trip Verified | Our experience with Royal Brunei was appalling - we were given our boarding passes to fly from Manila to London via Brunei without any staff mentioning they knew there was a technical fault with our connecting flight so they had delayed the time on the boarding pass of the connecting flight by 3 hours. We arrive at Brunei and are left to wait 4 hours until 4.30am before anyone came to tell us there was a problem with the plane and we couldn’t fly. They advised they’d organise accommodation in Brunei and we would fly at 10am. By 7am we are finally in a hotel after waiting hours to be checked in as Royal Brunei had not contacted them in advance. One hour later we were expected to leave and return to the airport. At the airport we were denied entry into the Royal Brunei lounge despite having entry cards as you can’t re-enter within 24 hours even though they forced us to leave the airport. And the best part - our 1 hour in a hotel was considered our compensation in full for what was a 12+ hour delay and no food or water was offered at all in this time. Avoid at all costs, they failed to show any understanding of what was going on and gave us no direction on when to leave the hotel etc. Pay more, fly another airline, you won’t regret it.
RouteManila to London via Brunei
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"I have to request that when I booked"

(Brunei)

Trip Verified | Brunei to Taipei on A320 on Business Class with my Infant child. At the J class check in desk, Is waited for over 15 min before they check me in. At check in, I had a baby stroller and requested to check in, and the check in staff told me to leave it at the over size baggage area, I asked if can someone help me he is reluctant and shout at one of the desk baggage helper to move my baby stroller. Visited the Sky Lounge, a big disappointment, it was morning and there were a very limited selection of breakfast, and there were only two main course (and the serving was left 20% ). No waiter were to be seen and cleanliness around buffet area was poor. Onboard the crew were very polite and the aircraft is new. a disappointed with J class seat, not a full recliner and for the IFE, very limited selection with older films. They served my meal when my child went to sleep, but when he wakes up, i ask for an infant or child meal, but the crew told me I have to request that when I booked my flight. So I feed my child with the biscuit I brought with me. I ask for a bread roll, the crew said they have none left. It was a 3hr 15 min flight, during the half journey, my child want to walk around and i was told by crew "For the Safety, please keep your child seated". we were in a J class and there were only 2 others passenger in this cabin.
AircraftA320N
RouteBrunei to Taipei
Date FlownDecember 2018

"the best long haul flight"

Trip Verified | London to Melbourne via Brunei. This was our first time for myself and my partner travelling with Royal Brunei. We were a little apprehensive but it was the best long haul flight we have had in a long time. Great customer service, planes were in good condition and flew smoothly, good food, lots of seat space. All in all a great journey. The price was £1000 cheaper per person than any other airline at the point of booking. I would highly recommend Royal Brunei.
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Brunei
Date FlownDecember 2018

"good and comfortable airline"

Not Verified | London to Manila via Brunei. Very good and comfortable airline. So much leg room in the plane. Food was amazing and cabin crew were very polite. Cheap ticket. Would definitely fly with Royal Brunei Airlines again. They don’t serve alcohol during the flight though and no smoking area at Brunei airport which is a downside but won’t hinder me from flying with them again.
RouteLondon to Manila via Brunei
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Misleading and poor service"

Trip Verified | Brunei to Singapore. Misleading and poor service. I purchased an economy ticket. A week before my flight, i received an email if i would like to purchase an upgrade. Hence, after reviewing i made an offer with few hundred dollars. Couple of days later, they accepted my offer and charged to my card. My check in flight went smoothly, and proceed to departure gate. I was holding a Business Class boarding card, so i went to the Business Class lounge at the departure hall, after entering the lounge, a receptionist looks very reluctant and I ask her if I can visit the lounge with my upgraded ticket, without any hesitation, she answer very rudely and say 'No'. So I ask her again if my frequent flyer Silver can be used here, she just said I have to pay. So, i have to walk away embarrassingly with other 'real' business class pax behind me. After security check, i proceed to the aircraft, i was given a window business class seat, but I was surprising to find out, this is not the kind of business class seat i paid for. I was offered a larger and much comfort with longer leg room seat on my email ( with pic shown ), but they have not mentioned the business class seat picture was taken from a B787 aircraft.the sector flown was an A320 aircraft. The business class seat was smaller, when front pax seat reclined (and its not a flat bed as advertised ), it took out much of my forward space and I have to consistently adjust my IFE when the seat in front make any movements. The service was not that expected on a business class level, the crew did not address the name of the pax, drink service only once offered, special meal request not mentioned but to serve directly to me. when meal served, did not ask pax if drinks need to top up or offered. overall, not the type of the business class level / service that i was expected. Imagine if i was paying a full business class fare, this would have been not worth it!
AircraftA320N