Qantas Airways

"terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | I had my tickets cancelled (without notification from Qantas, terrible customer service) I asked for a refund and someone, by email, told me they were going to send me a refund email. After 25 days and 9 emails with no response, I didn’t even have the refund email, so they are probably planning on giving me my refund by 2025. I’ve already spend significant amount of money calling them from overseas, with contradictions every time I’ve spoken with someone. Your customer service has been absolutely terrible. I got another ticket cancelled a week ago from Air New Zealand. They’ve been so professional. They’ve sent me the refund confirmation email within 24hs and a week after I have the refund. I can not believe I still can not get qantas to send me a simple refund email. It has been almost a month and no one from the company had the decency to even reply to my emails.
RouteMelbourne to Buenos Aires
Date FlownDecember 2019

"friendly kiwi staff on board"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Polite friendly check-in at Christchurch. I've flown Qantas from Christchurch on average at least once a month pre-Covid19, so the staff recognise me and are always welcoming. Lounge was fairly quiet today, it's the Manaia lounge, so can be busy as it's also used by Virgin Australia. The usual friendly welcome here too. On-time departure and friendly kiwi staff on board for the leg to Brisbane. Arrived on time, simple process to transfer to the domestic terminal. No queue at the business security lane, so through to the lounge in no time. On-time departure from Brisbane and friendly service on-board. Swift exit at Sydney.
RouteChristchurch to Sydney via Brisbane

"I was denied boarding

Trip Verified | The website did not provide any useful information and waiting time on the phone to get customer service is 3-5 hours. Qantas did not advise passengers that a Covid test is required for flights to Thailand. On March 27th during the check-in at the Sydney airport the Qantas staff asked me =to provide a Medical Certificate from the airport medical center which cost 95$ and which was completely unnecessary because when I brought this certificate, they asked me to provide a Covid test and I was denied boarding as nobody advised me to bring this test to the check in procedure before. As a result I lost my ticket for the connection flight from Bangkok to Europe. To my complaint Qantas replied that it was not their duty to warn passengers about check in requirements.
RouteSydney to Bangkok
Date FlownMarch 2020

"transferred into credit voucher"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | My flight was a round trip from Melbourne (MEL) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) via Singapore (SIN) and due to pandemic, I was notified by the airline that my my itinerary was change and on the next day, my flight was cancelled and my remaining flight would be transferred into credit voucher and can be use for future flight booking. Below show the second part of my itinerary which should be departing from KUL to MEL via SIN. Timeline: Day 1 I postponed my flight on this day and it charged me AUD $243.30, which initially mentioned on the web page that postponing flight would cost me $0 but there is a hidden fee applied, which did not show nor mention before. Day 2 I received an email from the airline regarding changing of my flight. But it did not give me any option to choose from besides changing my itinerary on my behalf. Day 3 My flight was cancelled by the airline and was notified that my remaining flight would be transfer into a credit voucher with their company and I could making future flight booking with no additional charges, note that differences in fare would apply. And I would get a confirmation about details of my credit voucher via email within a week. It also mentioned in the same email that this conformation email would outline the option available for me. Day 4 Spoke to Qantas Airline on Facebook about the situation and was told that in my case, I was told that I am not allow for refund as it is a half flown booking, and because of this, I could not get my confirmation about my credit voucher on email. Besides that, I was told by customer service that I would be the one owe them money if they were to reassess the cost of this flight because cancellation fee would cost AUD $400. Note that I bought this round trip with the cost of AUD $849.02 with additional fee of AUD $243.30, which sums up to AUD $1092.32. This timeline illustrates my experience with Qantas and I wanted to say that this is not a four days experience, I altered the day for privacy purposes but the order of this sequence is correct. This experience with Qantas made me feel that it wasn't an airline that I thought it would be because I have been hearing good thing about this airline but with this experience, the value for money went down for me. Ground service wasn't anything special. Economy seat in this airline wasn't anything special but thumbs up for providing blanket and head phone (disposable headphone). Cabin Staff service was similar to most airlines but overall I would say it's pretty good. Food and beverage was great as it was already included in the ticket itself so no additional fee or hidden fee for this. Entertainment was provided.
AircraftQF5170 operated by 3K0670 B
RouteKuala Lumpur to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2020

"made us buy a new return ticket"

Not Verified | Was in Spain en route to Amsterdam to fly home in June on our once in a lifetime retirement trip. Caught up in the Covid horror and had to return to Barcelona to fly home to Sydney, Qantas would not allow us to change the departure airport from Amsterdam to Barcelona even when we offered to pay the difference - neither did they offer a credit for the flight (which they were telling Australians they were doing). They made us buy a new return ticket to get home from Barcelona and when we got home our insurance doesn't cover Pandemics either. Our insurance was booked in November. Don't we take out insurance to cover unforeseen circumstances - what a joke. Talked with Qantas said I should have read the fine print. Missed the point completely but hey who needs customers.
RouteBarcelona to Sydney
Date FlownMarch 2020

"refused to provide refunds"

Trip Verified | Qantas has refused to provide refunds to those who have cancelled their flights due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I have been saddled with $1000 in change fees for two tickets on flights that are not occurring. Qantas has a fundamental disregard for the health and safety of their customers, and dishonestly applies policies in order to maximize their bottom line. I will never consider flying this airline again.
RouteLos Angeles to Brisbane

"refused to refund"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Barcelona via Dubai on Emirates flights. Tried to cancel the flight that i booked via online agent (Gotogate). My agent asked me to contact Qantas, but Qantas refused to refund my money despite I requested cancellation 3 weeks before my flight. Neither Gotogate responded my email and calls.
RouteMelbourne to Barcelona via Dubai
Date FlownApril 2020

"What an expensive trip flying in a bus"

Trip Verified | We had to fly with Qantas on 5 April from Sydney to Perth as after that date we would not be able to enter WA even though we are Western Australian residents. Qantas charged us AUD$5185.10 for 2 business class seats and it was for one way fare. Just as we were leaving the hotel in Sydney on 5 April, we received an email notifying us that there would be no food, no wifi and no entertainment. What an expensive trip flying in a bus. While we were waiting to board the bus, we were told that it would have cost QF AUD$200,000 to have wifi, entertainment and food per month. Perhaps if QF Executive had taken a pay cut perhaps we could have at least some food. Never again with QF.
RouteSydney to Perth
Date FlownApril 2020

"Worst flight I've ever taken"

Trip Verified | Sydney to London. Worst flight I've ever taken. Delay of five and a half hours before take off. Left on the plane for about three hours while refuelling resulting in about 27 hours onboard the plane in total - lights off for the duration of the flight. I think more than half the passengers' baggage was lost. Getting in touch with Qantas to find out the location of my stuff has been impossible. No communication at all. Awful customer service all round. I will never fly with Qantas again.
RouteSydney to London
Date FlownMarch 2020

"a really terrible experience for my family and me"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience during covid 19 travel restrictions. I had a one way ticket back from Australia to Singapore on Qantas and a one way ticket up from Singapore to Australia on Scoot. When the travel restrictions kicked in, I got an email confirmation from Scoot on the refund of travel credits. With Qantas, I have not gotten any email confirmation and what's worse is that my booking has now disappeared from their website. Their call centre agents speak condescendingly and very rudely. I would strongly recommend not booking with Qantas despite their competitive prices as it has been a really terrible experience for my family and me.
RoutePerth to Singapore