Qantas Airways

"airplanes were spotless"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Melbourne. I flew Qantas times, two long and one short. The service on all three was awesome. On the longer flights, Qantas offered a menu with three choices of meals plus choice of wine, beer etc. There were pillows, blankets, headsets, ear plugs, tooth brushes and so on offered to all passengers. The airplanes were spotless, modern, full entertainment package, great monitors with flexible positioning for optimum viewing, and so on. All in all, it was very refreshing to have this level of service and comfort in economy class , something that was normal in yesteryears but had perished in the North American market.
RouteVancouver to Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"have not been able to call them"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Sydney to Milan via Dubai. I have been terribly disappointed in QANTAS as on two occasions when I have needed to speak with a customer services member urgently and I have not been able to call them. The line is even worse than centrelink because the call hangs up on you after 20 minutes. Today I have tried calling them on the 131313 number 4 times with no joy, after we urgently need to rebook a ticket as my boyfriend is stranded in Australia. This was also the case when I wanted to check on special baggage. I cannot express just how frustrating this experience has been and I am appalled at the poor treatment of customers in pretending that it is possible to contact QANTAS when in fact it is near impossible. if your flight goes well no worries the aircrew staff are always friendly, because they are real genuine people, but in this case when something goes really wrong or if you need to check something with them it is a nightmare due to the fact they have severely cut customer communication channels to what seems to be an extreme degree.=
RouteSydney to Milan via Dubai
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"has been nothing but hassle"

Trip Verified | There was no food available other than cooked breakfast on either of the 2 breakfasts supplied on the flight. My wife is allergic to mushrooms but no continental breakfast available. Air stewardess stated we should have pre booked meals (in a condescending way). We did pre book, and tried to stipulate allergy. Only nut allergy could be selected and breakfast was not a choice on the pre booking. We did email Qantas before our flight, to explain the allergy. Never had a reply. Adding insult to injury, all 3 checked in bags were badly damaged. We immediately complained on arrival at Melbourne airport and followed it up, as requested, with an online claim. Several phone calls and several emails later, Qantas agreed to replace the bags. That was nearly a month ago. We now have to buy bags to get back to UK as the bags never arrived. Delay tactics and arrogant attitude. When the supplier has messed up, the least they can do is make reparations painless. This has been nothing but hassle with many hours wasted chasing up replacement baggage.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2018

"food options significantly limited"

Trip Verified | Santiago de Chile to Sydney. I flew Qantas on my return route back to Sydney and was hoping for a better experience than that of LATAM. Unfortunately this was not the case. The flight left SYD late and the snowballed the SCL - SYD flights, transfers etc. Checkin: Disastrous, long lines at SCL, surly staff and far from welcoming. Boarding; DISASTROUS; absolute chaos! Completely disorganised, no process, no space, for queuing processes, pax getting angry with one another as they tried to access the designated queuing location ie Priority, 30-50, 50-75 etc.... The tension in the air was high and far from relaxing. The responsibility of this chaos lied with SCL Qantas staff so it was a Qantas problem not a SCL Airport issue. Flight: I was incredibly anxious having to fly 14hrs or sit in economy for almost 16hrs by the time you can land time etc on a 747-400 in seat 71A. The seat was terrible and does not compare the the newer aircraft ie LATAMs 787. The kind pax in front reclined for most of the trip, which gave me 20cm between the seat and my face. The cabin crew were the usual older Qantas cabin crew, who were efficient and as pleasant as they needed to be only. Being at the back, food options were significantly limited. They rearranged the menu and brought forward dinner instead of the mid-flight snack. Most annoying but i believe it worked for the crew. The crew did walk the aisles with water which was more than LATAM crew did. My seat, 71A was a two seat row and felt i had some extra leg room on the side which made the experience slight more bearable. As beautiful and as majestic as the 747-400 is she is an old bird and as such makes these long flights very uncomfortable and would see this flight much more improved if and when they switch the aircraft to a 787. Food options were better but not by much than the LATAM alternative. Overall the experience was ok but not great. I paid $3300 for the ticket in November for late Dec/Jan so i didn't feel that it was value for money.
RouteSantiago de Chile to Sydney

"occasional arrogant attendant"

Not Verified | Very poor customer service experience at the gate. I had a laptop bag that was 8kg or 7kg if I took the laptop out and they made me check it. On top of being 60 minutes delayed. I did not plan for the additional time to wait for bags and will miss my reason for going in the first place. I fly with Qantas and pay a premium because I never have to deal with this not picking budget airline approach like Tiger or Jetstar. This was a very unfortunate experience. I do find Qantas staff in general to be okay but then you find the occasional arrogant attendant too often.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"the most horrid experience"

Trip Verified | Canberra to Denpasar flight. I have been a loyal Qantas customer and decided to book with them for our honeymoon ( scheduled departure of 22 December). Had the most horrid experience as a customer. First flight was cancelled and rebooked the next day on a multiple lag flight ( Canberra, Sydney, Darwin, Denpasar) with Jetstar completing last lag. We had already missed a night of our honeymoon. To add insult to injury, Qantas left our baggage in Sydney and they did not arrive until 26 December. On contacting the airline (customer service) they declined any responsibility of the delayed baggage, saying it was Jet Stars responsibility as they flew us the last lag of the flight- although the the bags were left in Sydney and never made it to Darwin! Was extremely disappointed by their response and failure to acknowledge their customer responsibility.
AircraftA332 Jet
RouteDenpasar to Canberra via Melbourne

"A huge improvement"

Trip Verified | For the first time flew London to Brisbane via Perth on Qantas' 787 and experienced the new business class. A huge improvement for Qantas having aisle access for all seats. The individual seat amenity such as personal space, storage space and the seat itself is great. The London to Perth leg was 15 hours and 32 minutes which is not bad for such a long flight. The 787 cabin ambience is an improvement over the 747 and the A380. The food offerings were plentiful as were drinks. Cabin service was friendly. Between meal times, requests for hot chocolate and other items were quickly actioned. The entertainment options were vast and the screen was very responsive to touch. Toilet access throughout the flight was not an issue. Between meal times, there was a good variety of snacks to choose from. Arriving in Perth, very quick immigration clearance and a five minute walk to Qantas domestic to put the bags on the belt for Brisbane. The flight from Perth to Brisbane was on a 737. Again, the service was excellent. For this 4 hour flight, water runs were made. Both flights departed and arrived on time. This was the first time flying from London to Brisbane via Perth. Would I do this run again, probably not only for the reason that if I fly over Singapore, I can land directly in Brisbane and get a stop and a leg stretch. If I lived in Perth or Adelaide, i'd always be flying London - Perth. This experience was enjoyable.
AircraftBoeing 787-9 / 737
RouteLondon to Brisbane via Perth

"disorganized, and unhelpful"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Sydney to Johannesburg. Definitely choose another airline - disorganized, and unhelpful. Seriously delayed flight and disastrous airline. The flight was delayed by 6 hours in Sydney causing us to miss the last flight out from Johannesburg to Cape Town on arrival. Next connecting flight was 7 hours later. I paid $800 extra to fly with Qantas as it was the most direct route. I have always flown with Emirates, but didn’t want to have the long connection. Had I flown with Emirates it would not only have cost me less but would have also been a shorter flight. Sydney to Cape Town with Qantas took almost 30 hours to get there. They also then seated us separately even after having checked in initially with two seats together, they messed that up. Waited at the airport Qantas desk at check in for almost two hours trying to check in and sort that out as it was total chaos at the airport Qantas lines. The stewards and hostesses on the plane in general are unhelpful, giving you a distinct impression that everything and anything is too much trouble for them, I have flown Emirates, Air France, British Airways, Turkish Airlines internationally and never seen such chaos and had such a disappointing flight for years. The extended flight cost us time and money and great discomfort. Will never fly Qantas again.
RouteSydney to Johannesburg
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"You are practically in the service galley"

Not Verified | Qantas QF2, A380-800. Whatever you do don’t pay extra for seats 79B or 79C. However if you like having staff and customers falling over you, standing on you, crashing into you and running over you with the service trolleys these are the seats for you! I cannot believe that they actually charge extra for this “extra leg room” seat. You are practically in the service galley and subject to constant noise throughout the flight. Even when they finally drew the curtains, to mask the galley, people and staff were still coming in and out, to get things, and as they were coming from the light into darkness couldn’t see where they were going and crashed into you. Oh and do not bother raising this with “customer service” as they are not at all interested, and all you receive is a standard reply, which basically says “we do not care.” I won't mention the Breakfast, 1 piece of fruit and a small danish! Or that their headphone, jack plugs, remained in the sockets and ripped my trousers as I got up, for which they require a receipt to reimburse me (having a laugh as obviously I keep all my receipts for everything just in case!)
AircraftA380-800
RouteLondon Heathrow to Singapore
Date FlownDecember 2018

"choose a different airline"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Johannesburg. Customer Service personnel of Sydney Airport think it's OK to yell at you because you dare to question why there is only one person checking people in, while there were 7 behind the desk. I reported this to them on their website, but no reply. I will choose a different airline next time.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy