Qantas Airways

"truly and utterly horrible"

Trip Verified | I am not usually the type to write negative reviews, but Qantas' customer service has been truly and utterly horrible. I will not be flying with them again, and I would advise you to do the same. Not only do they place you on hold for 3-4 hours at a time, but they also hang up on you when you finally make it through to chat with someone. Even when you call at 2 or 3am, there's always extremely long hold times - I had to call about 9 or 10 times throughout the week until I finally got through to someone, only to have them hang up on me. I called again, was placed on hold for 45 mins, then they hung up on me again. At 4am, after being placed on hold for 2 hours - when I finally spoke to someone about obtaining a refund, they were extremely pushy, rude - they sounded extremely annoyed at me for asking for a refund, when Qantas had completely changed my flights and rendered my trip unfeasible. I think Qantas should be the ones apologising and accomodating to me, instead of making me feel like I'm inconveniencing them for asking for a refund? Firstly, I felt pressured to converting my flights into credit instead of a refund, of which I did not want. Secondly, I felt like I was being rushed to get off the phone (despite having been placed on hold for so long, multiple times). I asked if I could get an email confirmation of the refund, and that was met with hostility. Inexcusable behaviour, really! Don't understand why they don't just open up a live chat (would be so much easier to get in contact with ANYONE that could help), or hire more staff to be able to handle these issues? It's inexcusable that a big airline like this makes you wait 3-4 hours at a time and then hangs up, or when you do get through, you're met with someone who's rude and just wants to get you off the phone.
RouteMelbourne to London
Date FlownOctober 2021

"It’s been nothing less than heartless of Qantas"

Not Verified | What a complete scam! My friend and I had flight to New York booked for July 2020 which were naturally cancelled due to covid. We realised this year it would be impossible for us to fly again soon and use the credits so for over 6 months have been calling Qantas help centre to get a refund and no response. We have been given mixed information by Qantas on when our credit expires and are completely stressed out that we will loose the $3500 because we can’t get in contact with Qantas to confirm anything! Both of us are uni students and this was a large part of our savings. It’s been nothing less than heartless of Qantas to not give full refunds during these COVID times and I’m shocked at the void of customer service on call lines (a clear representation of how understaffed the company is after big layoffs). Disappointed.
RouteSydney to New York via Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2020

"still no refund 8 weeks later"

Trip Verified | Flight cancelled by Qantas and still no refund 8 weeks later. I've complained twice with zero communication. This company needs to reigned in by the government, they are scamming people and breaking the law by stealing money.
RouteSydney to Manchester via Dubai
Date FlownAugust 2021

"Very poor customer service"

Not Verified | Very poor customer service. Needed to change flights, Qantas staff at counter told me to go away and call the helpline. 45 mins waiting on phone still couldn't get through. Gave up. What a bad company, and what poor service.
RouteBroome to Perth
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Thoroughly disappointed"

Not Verified | On May 17th, I travelled with Qantas from Brisbane to Hobart, I was travelling with two surfboards that had been extensively well packed and secured within their board bag. The following day I found that both boards had been destroyed during the flight. One board had been completely snapped, and the other badly creased. The amount of force needed to cause this damage is extensive, and almost humanly impossible. I contacted Qantas upon arrival home, however it was out of the 3day limit (unbeknown to me) and they refused to do anything. Waited over 7 more weeks to discuss the issue with someone further. Upon no contact after two months of lodging a case, I rang on my own terms and was put through to Jackie at the complaints team who was absolutely lovely, helped all she could and transferred me to Linda who was incredibly rude, talked over me throughout the conversation, and would not listen to what I had to say. The way in which I was treated was disgusting and there was no remorse for $3,000 worth of damage of brand new equipment, with receipts, and photos with time and dates on them. Will discontinue any travel with Qantas in the future. And encourage others to do so also. Thoroughly disappointed.
RouteBrisbane to Hobart
Date FlownMay 2021

"Expected infinitely better service"

Not Verified | Qantas cancelled the Sydney to Hamilton Island flight during the covid lockdown. Fair enough. However, they did not cancel the return flight! That is ridiculous. 2+ hour wait on the phone to request a refund for the first leg. That should be automatic! 0m validity for the credit voucher for the second leg not yet cancelled, completes the ridiculousness of this entire shambles. Expected infinitely better service from you Qantas. Everyone shows their true colours in adversity, and yours are not that bright. Absolutely 1 start rating. Zero is sadly not an option.
RouteSydney to Hamilton Island
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Seriously disappointed"

Not Verified | Seriously disappointed. Flew from Brisbane - Cairns with Jetstar, no problem. Same bag going back on Qantas, too heavy. Still within the total ticket limits but bag was over by 2kg. If I paid $35 more, they would take the bag as it was. So they were able to lift it, and it was within the ticketed weight limits, but they just wanted to collect more bonus for Alan Joyce? Qantas is totally un-Australian.
RouteCairns to Brisbane
Date FlownMay 2021

"recommend avoiding this company"

Trip Verified | I wholeheartedly recommend avoiding this company at all costs. No dramas with taking your money and if all goes well, but God forbid you need a refund. I have waited months and months of back and forth to no avail, several weeks between each reply where they don't even read what I've written and just throw a copy and paste that is of zero help and doesn't resolve anything. Then another few weeks before they do the same to my reply. Told me to get advice from the bank, I got it, provided it to them, and they did the exact opposite of what the bank suggested - refunding to an old account, which is no longer retrievable - so they have literally lost me several hundred dollars because they didn't take the advice they asked for. Have made me waste hours on numerous in person visits and phone calls with my bank, hours of wasteful messages, and all the while have zero empathy and zero recognition of their own mistake - and a complete refusal to even read a word I say and acknowledge what has happened. Must not have a copy and paste for that. They can't even, after months of asking, simply call me to discuss. They refuse to escalate and refuse to call me. Waste of time, waste of money, disgusting service. Would literally pay 10x as much for a flight through someone else simply to avoid this company who talk in circles and ignore everything I say. Steer clear especially in times like these where you are likely to have to deal with customer service. That's too generous a name for this team of thieves.
RouteMelbourne to Auckland
Date FlownDecember 2020

"I will never travel Qantas again."

Trip Verified | I was booked from Adelaide to Auckland via Melbourne with absolute assurance at booking time that my bag could be checked right through as I am elderly and cannot handle my checked in baggage myself. Sadly, Qantas cancelled the morning flight and insisted I had at my own expense to therefore book a nights accommodation at Melbourne airport. Additionally they rudely refused to check my bag through to Auckland at checkin saying that it was impossible because I was not flying all the way on the same day. What sort of airline service is that? I will never travel Qantas again.
RouteAdelaide to Auckland via Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2021

"3 hours on hold!"

Not Verified | Qantas changed my flight time twice and when I called them, I waited for 3hours and 10mins before a call centre person answered! 3 hours! As it turns out they had put the fight that I had originally booked and within a minute I was put back on that flight! For the premium airline in Australia this is just not good enough Qantas. 3 hours on hold! Even Telstra don’t make you wait 3 hours!
RouteBrisbane to Adelaide