Qantas Airways

"3 hours on hold!"

Not Verified | Qantas changed my flight time twice and when I called them, I waited for 3hours and 10mins before a call centre person answered! 3 hours! As it turns out they had put the fight that I had originally booked and within a minute I was put back on that flight! For the premium airline in Australia this is just not good enough Qantas. 3 hours on hold! Even Telstra don’t make you wait 3 hours!
RouteBrisbane to Adelaide
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Don’t fly with Qantas"

Not Verified | Nobody expected covid. I get that everybody wants to secure their financial well-being, but it’s unacceptable to be penalized for canceling a flight early due to increasing numbers of infections and lockdowns. I canceled my flight when Queensland imposed a two week mandatory quarantine for any visitor. Months later when I’ve become unemployed, I reached out to Qantas for a refund only to be told that I had canceled too early and would be given a $500 cancellation fee. I tried reasoning but was only ignored. I was told that I could report a complaint on the company website. I did and a month later, I asked the representative from twitter when I was going to get a reply. I got one a day later, reiterating the same from the twitter rep. It was then that I noticed that the twitter rep and the person who responded to my email was the same person. I have spent more than a month being ignored, misdirected and delayed only to have the same person tell me the same thing through a different platform. I showed my Australian friend (who recommended Qantas) this and he couldn’t believe it. Qantas is held in high regard there but that doesn’t entitle a company to give someone the runaround when he’s trying to get a refund. It doesn’t entitle a company to deny a refund because of a cancellation caused by quarantine measures by the government. I took the penalized refund. I couldn’t afford not to. Don’t fly with Qantas.
RouteLos Angeles to Brisbane
Date FlownJune 2020

"haven’t heard anything from them"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Was on hold for more than 2 hours, after that was forced to give review without any help from them then got hung up by Qantas. First I was been told that will get my refund within 6-8 weeks, second times is 8-12 weeks and it’s been more than 20 weeks but still haven’t heard anything from them. I was told that no email will be issued until refund been processed and can’t do anything online nor email, not answering call.
RouteChristchurch to Brisbane
Date FlownApril 2020

"Where has the hands on service gone"

Not Verified | No problems with actually flying with Qantas, but cannot understand why a big company does not have a help line. It is not always possible to get online, I waited 40 mins before giving up. Where has the hands on service gone where you can ring and actually talk to some person to offer assistance. Very disappointed in your help service with crackling music that I had to listen to for 40 mins before I gave up.
RouteMelbourne to Perth
Date FlownNovember 2020

"On hold for over an hour so far!"

Trip Verified | This review is more about the total inefficiencies of the Qantas customer service 'system'. We most recently booked flights domestically from Adelaide to Cairns. Due to the travel restrictions from Covid19 ex Adelaide, we can't travel. However, Qantas changed our outward flights which required an overnight stay in Brisbane. Why? No idea, given we can't travel anyway. So now the fun starts to cancel and get a refund. You are supposed to be able to do this online, but no they insist you ring them. On hold for over an hour so far! The Australian Tax Office responds to phone calls quicker that that! I understand they are busy. But they are wasting so much of their time and ours by not having the ability to handle a lot of customer service matter via email. If it gets a bit 'complicated' then by all means, a phone call may be necessary. What about a call back system like most other companies use? They will save a huge amount of their staff's time and we will save a huge amount of time and frustration.
RouteAdelaide to Melbourne
Date FlownMarch 2020

"Let's get back what is owing to us!"

Trip Verified | I paid over $3.5k for Business Class seats for partner and myself for a return trip from Brisbane to Darwin. Suddenly without warning Qantas cancelled our return flight and offered a different date that would not suit. The flights were then held in as a flight credit. After losing my job due to covid I decided I need that money back. I was initially told that it would take "up to 12 weeks" to process. Absolutely ridiculous! They took my money instantly, cancelled my flight without explanation but yet take 12 weeks to return my money? I wasn't having it. I've now received a message from Qantas saying, quote: "I've had a message from Qantas saying, quote: "There has been an decrease in the time frame for refund as some of the backlog has been cleared and hence if the system does not release payment in 50 days [of your refund request], we can expedite it to the refunds team for manually processing the release of the payment." Bombard them people! Let's get back what is owing to us! I'll never use them again
RouteBrisbane to Darwin
Date FlownAugust 2020

"terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | I had my tickets cancelled (without notification from Qantas, terrible customer service) I asked for a refund and someone, by email, told me they were going to send me a refund email. After 25 days and 9 emails with no response, I didn’t even have the refund email, so they are probably planning on giving me my refund by 2025. I’ve already spend significant amount of money calling them from overseas, with contradictions every time I’ve spoken with someone. Your customer service has been absolutely terrible. I got another ticket cancelled a week ago from Air New Zealand. They’ve been so professional. They’ve sent me the refund confirmation email within 24hs and a week after I have the refund. I can not believe I still can not get qantas to send me a simple refund email. It has been almost a month and no one from the company had the decency to even reply to my emails.
RouteMelbourne to Buenos Aires
Date FlownDecember 2019

"friendly kiwi staff on board"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Polite friendly check-in at Christchurch. I've flown Qantas from Christchurch on average at least once a month pre-Covid19, so the staff recognise me and are always welcoming. Lounge was fairly quiet today, it's the Manaia lounge, so can be busy as it's also used by Virgin Australia. The usual friendly welcome here too. On-time departure and friendly kiwi staff on board for the leg to Brisbane. Arrived on time, simple process to transfer to the domestic terminal. No queue at the business security lane, so through to the lounge in no time. On-time departure from Brisbane and friendly service on-board. Swift exit at Sydney.
RouteChristchurch to Sydney via Brisbane

"I was denied boarding

Trip Verified | The website did not provide any useful information and waiting time on the phone to get customer service is 3-5 hours. Qantas did not advise passengers that a Covid test is required for flights to Thailand. On March 27th during the check-in at the Sydney airport the Qantas staff asked me =to provide a Medical Certificate from the airport medical center which cost 95$ and which was completely unnecessary because when I brought this certificate, they asked me to provide a Covid test and I was denied boarding as nobody advised me to bring this test to the check in procedure before. As a result I lost my ticket for the connection flight from Bangkok to Europe. To my complaint Qantas replied that it was not their duty to warn passengers about check in requirements.
RouteSydney to Bangkok
Date FlownMarch 2020

"transferred into credit voucher"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | My flight was a round trip from Melbourne (MEL) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) via Singapore (SIN) and due to pandemic, I was notified by the airline that my my itinerary was change and on the next day, my flight was cancelled and my remaining flight would be transferred into credit voucher and can be use for future flight booking. Below show the second part of my itinerary which should be departing from KUL to MEL via SIN. Timeline: Day 1 I postponed my flight on this day and it charged me AUD $243.30, which initially mentioned on the web page that postponing flight would cost me $0 but there is a hidden fee applied, which did not show nor mention before. Day 2 I received an email from the airline regarding changing of my flight. But it did not give me any option to choose from besides changing my itinerary on my behalf. Day 3 My flight was cancelled by the airline and was notified that my remaining flight would be transfer into a credit voucher with their company and I could making future flight booking with no additional charges, note that differences in fare would apply. And I would get a confirmation about details of my credit voucher via email within a week. It also mentioned in the same email that this conformation email would outline the option available for me. Day 4 Spoke to Qantas Airline on Facebook about the situation and was told that in my case, I was told that I am not allow for refund as it is a half flown booking, and because of this, I could not get my confirmation about my credit voucher on email. Besides that, I was told by customer service that I would be the one owe them money if they were to reassess the cost of this flight because cancellation fee would cost AUD $400. Note that I bought this round trip with the cost of AUD $849.02 with additional fee of AUD $243.30, which sums up to AUD $1092.32. This timeline illustrates my experience with Qantas and I wanted to say that this is not a four days experience, I altered the day for privacy purposes but the order of this sequence is correct. This experience with Qantas made me feel that it wasn't an airline that I thought it would be because I have been hearing good thing about this airline but with this experience, the value for money went down for me. Ground service wasn't anything special. Economy seat in this airline wasn't anything special but thumbs up for providing blanket and head phone (disposable headphone). Cabin Staff service was similar to most airlines but overall I would say it's pretty good. Food and beverage was great as it was already included in the ticket itself so no additional fee or hidden fee for this. Entertainment was provided.
AircraftQF5170 operated by 3K0670 B