Qantas Airways

"I'm very disappointed"

(Ukraine)

Not Verified | I'm Ukrainian passport holder. February 22nd 2020, I, my wife and 3 years old baby were about to check in for our flight from Queenstown to Bali with connection in Sydney. I bought tickets on the official website of Qantas airlines. There was a connecting flight in Sydney: same airport, same terminal, same airlines and only 2h to next connecting flight to Bali. So in Queenstown Qantas staff didn't allow me to board as my Ukraine passport requires me to have a transit visa to Australia even I was not going to go out of the terminal. I supposed to go through transit (transfer) corridor. I have been travelling a lot and I have never experienced the situation when visa is required for transit in the airport same terminal. So of course I didn't know about it. But I accept that the governments of different countries sometimes might have strange rules. The problems were: Qantas did not even try or intend to inform me about my visa either during the booking or prior to flight. It's a special rare case, and I believe, I should have received a notification while booking or after via email. Please, improve your online booking system and add this feature. Its easy to do for your IT. Moreover, in my ticket is stated "A visa is permission for a non-citizen to travel to or transit through a particular country. To find out if you need a visa for travel to a particular country, visit the IATA Travel Centre". So I visited IATA Travel Centre, input all my details and it did NOT say that I have to have transit visa to Australia. Please, check third party sources before you refer there. Even IATA can provide inaccurate information. During check-in in Queenstown, I was not raising my voice or so, but just said that its a fail of Qantas. A rude lady (employee of Qantas) wasn't happy about that. I asked her what is the solution and she said that I should buy new ticket from another airline or "go back and stay in your country". I find it discriminative instead of trying to help. Please, do better training for your team. 10-15 min after "failed check-in" I came back to the check-in desk (to another manager) to get some an insurance letter that I wasn't board. A lady asked me to wait and came back after 5 min saying that I should contact customer service or submit online form. I was trying to call and robot said me that waiting time was between 1h 25 min and 1h 55 min. So I tried to submit the form but after inputting all details, it was not sent. Thus, I couldn't reach a customer service to get an insurance letter. Please, make it possible to reach your customer service online. It's not the end of the world. I'm very disappointed, it was just bad, Qantas.
RouteQueenstown to Bali via Sydney

"The crew were fabulous"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Sydney. A long flight at a touch under 17 hours. Heavy headwinds all across the Pacific. The crew were fabulous. They had arranged with the ground staff at Dallas for a block of 3 seats in the economy cabin so ended up with plenty of space (it helps to be a frequent flyer with Qantas). One of the escape doors was inoperative so 100 odd seats were blocked out which meant the rest of the main deck was packed. Four hours in I was asked if I minded moving to accommodate passengers whose air con was not working. So needed up being shifted to Business. The A380 business class seat and amenities were magnificent.
RouteDallas to Sydney

"huge shout out to CSM"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Dallas. A quick flight (relatively at 14 hours 15 minutes). The one thing I am struggling with is the IFE selection. Qantas seem to have becoming a bit more art house with their films but Netflix loaded up on my phone and a book plus sleep saw the time pass. No food taken due to a big splurge in the lounge. On time departure and early arrival by 5 minutes so all fine. Now the cabin service. Fabulous and a huge shout out to CSM Nicky and her team and Richard in the main deck. Many people knock Qantas for their service but truly sparkling on QF7/8.
RouteSydney to Dallas
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Staff very friendly and helpful"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Melbourne. I enjoyed the flight. Check in was easy and the plane left on time. It was nice to a flat seat on such a short flight! The meal (pork cutlets) was quite good and as always with Qantas Business, the wine was excellent. Staff were very friendly and helpful too.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I tried to cancel my flight"

(Spain)

Not Verified | I had a flight ticket from Hong Kong to Sydney at the end of February in flight QF118 and I tried to cancel my flight with full refund but in spite of other companies (Emirates, Qatar Airways etc) were offering this possibility because of Coronavirus, Qantas was charging a 2000 HKD fee for this cancellation. I do not understand why a serious company do not offer this option in this epidemic situation.
AircraftA330-200
RouteHong Kong to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I would not have upgraded"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Singapore. I decided to treat myself and bid for an upgrade to Business Class on my Xmas flight. I paid an additional $625 on top of the Economy ticket for an upgrade. Arriving to check in I was told there was no seat for me. After waiting 40 minutes they came back to tell me there was a seat available. On board there were no Business Class meals available for me. It seems like i missed half the benefits of upgrading with the delay in checking in & no food upgrades. I would not have upgraded if I knew I would be receiving only a fraction of what Business Class is.
RouteSydney to Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"The organisation was very bad"

Denpasar to Brisbane via Sydney. The worst ending to a great holiday I have experienced yet. The flight was delayed 2 hours before check in began, from a departure time of 2120 to 2315. What makes me confused is that Virgin notified their passengers over 12 hours before departure time, as my sister in law was travelling with them on the same night back to Australia. Qantas had no ground crew in Bali so everything was organise by the airport team. The Lounge they offer to their premium passengers was absolutely disgusting, everything about it was not great and I would never recommend it. The cabin crew were good at best, some were grumpy and others pleasant plus the customer service manager was definitely NOT a standout. Once airborne, I headed straight to sleep as the flight was about 5.5 hours and I was exhausted at that point due to the delay. Before landing I had a small breakfast of oats and coffee, the oats are one of my favourite things to eat so 1 point to Qantas. My connection to Brisbane was changed 4 times, finally arriving into Brisbane roughly 1500. The organisation was very bad on this occasion and the communication was little to none.
AircraftA330-200 / Boeing 737-800
RouteDenpasar-Bali to Brisbane via Sydney

"pretty poor service"

Not Verified | I don't want to give a poor review because some aspects are great. The staff are great and the inflight service is great. But when it comes to rewards flights and limiting certain legs of the flights, it's woeful. I tried so hard to book a rewards flight return to Tokyo from Brisbane. But no matter what date I chose, they wouldn't let me fly the return leg home. They made me use a Jetstar flight to Cairns, check everything out (snow bag), and check back in to the Qantas link flight. You also couldn't amend anything for the Jetstar leg through Qantas. You had to do it through Jetstar. Then when I asked Jetstar they said I had to do it through Qantas, Qantas said the opposite. This was a never-ending occurrence, and a major pain. Also, you don't get free meal service and inflight entertainment with the Jetstar leg. Even though it's booked through Qantas. Rude if you ask me. So not only do I have to take 2 flights and the trip is much longer than necessary, I have to pay for extras on Jetstar. I think that's pretty poor service.
RouteBrisbane to Tokyo
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"food and courtesy from FA's was fine"

Trip Verified | London to Sydney via Singapore, I'm on a Qantas A380 almost monthly so that amounts to 24 sectors a year to London or Dallas. Now with that comes a certain degree of knowledge of what happens at every stage of the journey. In a premium cabin the experience is different to economy. But as a Qantas frequent flyer I know what the level of service will be (courteous, friendly, professional, occasionally a bit cold). The service, food and courtesy from the FA's was fine. I rarely eat on planes having dined in the lounge but had a bite on this occasion. The Australasian crew up to Singapore were a laid back bunch who were just fine. The English crew from Singapore to London (and the other way) were just great. They have a difficult job and appreciate a smile, thank you and a bag of candy. My only gripe is about the IFE: just could not seem to find anything decent to watch but Netflix on the phone crammed with stuff fixed that. Qantas are not perfect but then nobody is.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"no food and no information"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Singapore. We arrived from Fiji by Fiji Airways, a really pleasant experience with awesome flight attendants and good leg room, but continuing on Qantas was just the opposite. The space was bad even for an economy. On the way to the runway the plane shut down and we came to a standstill. On the 4 hrs waiting on the runway, not even one time drinks were served. We were travelling with 2 Kids (2 and 4 years old) and after app. 3 hours stuck on the runaway with no drinks, no food and no information, I asked the flight attendant for some small snacks for my Kiddies and with a look of hatred I was told that they dont serve food on the ground, only when airborne. After 4 hours we went back to the gate, deplaned as some parts had to be repaired. Things can happen on a long trip, but its up to the airline how to handle it and in 20 years flying over 100k miles per year, I never had a crew handling it that unprofessional.
RouteSydney to Singapore