Qantas Airways

"was a terrible experience"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | I had a transit flight from Bangkok to Queenstown via Sydney but my flight from Bangkok was delayed for almost 3hrs! And they kept holding at the Sydney airport for 30 mins before landing which made me miss my flight to Queenstown! They changed my flight to Auckland and had a domestic transfer to Queenstown! I had to take my baggage and cleared customs in Auckland which took a very long time to finish. The most unbelievable thing is there is no ground staff stood by to help .. no priority lane and my baggage was the last bag on baggage claim. I ran like crazy to domestic terminal to catch my flight to Queenstown which I could make it like 1 min before they closed the check-in counter. This was a terrible experience.
RouteSydney to Bangkok
Date FlownOctober 2019

"No compensation for cancelled flight"

Trip Verified |  Sydney to Melbourne. Rude staff. No compensation for cancelled flight. Barely any notice of flight cancellation. They texted me 1 hour before my flight that it was cancelled (no warning, no delay, just suddenly cancelled). They automatically booked me on another flight 5 hours later. I called customer service and was on hold for 1.5 hours. Customer service refused to listen to what I had to say and kept interrupting me saying that "I can possibly book you on another flight.". But I didn't want another flight, I wanted to know why my original flight was cancelled and if Qantas would give me any compensation for the delay (food voucher, taxi refund, flight voucher, upgrade, literally anything). After she interrupted me 3 times in a row she finally listened and told me that I had to ask the people at the airport. I asked the people at the sales desk at the airport and they told me to contact customer service! I will never book with them again if I can avoid it.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Absolutely disgusted with Qantas"

Trip Verified | Absolutely disgusted with Qantas and will never fly with them again if it can be avoided. I flew from Mexico to Los Angeles, over 5 hour stopover then 15 hours to Sydney then on to Melbourne with Qantas. I imagined my luggage would be transferred to the Melbourne flight but I had to collect it and it took ages to come through. I was getting a little nervous about missing my flight. I put my luggage on a trolley and went to find the bus to take me to Qantas which was about to leave when I got there. Luckily a nice man on the bus helped me lift my suitcases on to the bus. When the bus arrived I couldn’t lift the two heavy suitcases and my 2 pieces of hand luggage. The bus driver got angry with me, said he was on a schedule and to hurry up. I’m a small woman travelling alone and I just couldn’t manage. The bus driver started yelling at me, I finally managed to drag the suitcases off the bus, by this time I was in tears. I was so distressed when I went through security that I was sent for a second security scan. I only just made it to my flight.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownOctober 2019

"shocked by the terrible meal"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Sydney in early Oct 19 and was shocked by the terrible meal offered with my business class ticket. I can't imagine Qantas even feels confident it's presentable enough for business class. Let alone I can hardly even cut it up with knife. I brought up with Qantas after the flight but the response was disappointing without genuine apology. I wouldn't have Qantas as my first choice anymore if they hold this attitude.
AircraftB787-9
RouteHong Kong to Sydney
Date FlownOctober 2019

"everything went incredibly smooth"

Trip Verified | Singapore To Brisbane Via Melbourne. Early check in at Changi Airport was a breeze as there was a premium area for priority passengers and was available 12 hours before departure. Though the ground team were a third party company, they were very accomodating and pleasant during the process. After immigrations, we explored the airport as no lounges were open until mid afternoon. Security checks happened at the gate, a very different process and in my opinion was very efficient and quick. The cabin crew on this flight were a lot better than my departure out of Melbourne. As it was a 7 hour flight, I decided to opt in for a quick supper and head straight to bed. The crew understood that sleep and rest was precious on red eye flights that even during meal service they had dime the lights down enough to set the mood for sleep but can still serve food for other passengers. During the flight, the customer service manager greeted me and my partner with arrival cards and express cards for immigrations into Australia, a nice personal touch that I appreciate from any airline. The seat itself was comfortable enough and I did manage to get 3 hours of sleep but are definitely showing their age. IFE was really good but the older generation screen limits the options they can upload and the quality is not the best. Breakfast was delicious, options of oats, fruit and energisers was what I needed to start my day on arrival into Australia. Overall, everything went incredibly smooth with no issues in the slightest and I would recommend flying with Qantas into Asia as they offer good connections with their partner airlines into other destinations.
AircraftA380 / Boeing 737
RouteSingapore to Brisbane via Melbourne
Date FlownOctober 2019

"worst airline I've ever tried"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Sydney to Auckland. It was my first time to see a flight has less than 10 blankets for the whole aircraft. The aircon was too strong so I asked for a blanket. One stewardess told me soon they will distribute the blanket. I should not have believed her. After taking off, another stewardess only pass the blanket to a customer who sat at the front. I and another customer who sat in front of me raised hands to ask for the blanket, the stewardess simply ignored us. After passing all the blanket, she walked to us and said the blanket can only given to kid which was a big lie. We witness she gave to adult customers. My family was furious, the passengers in front of were furious. I would never ever use Qantas Airways anymore. The worst airline I've ever tried. Too bad I can't rate Qantas 1 out of 10. Even 1 is too high for such bad service.
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownOctober 2019

"they were as bad as ever"

Trip Verified | After some bad experiences of Qantas in previous years, I try to steer clear of them, but this time, I couldn't avoid flying with them. On this route, they were as bad as ever. On the London to Singapore leg, the in-flight entertainment system wasn't working, and the blanket smelt unwashed. On the Singapore to Sydney leg, the Australian crew members were abrupt at best, conveying the strong impression that they were far too good for the job. As we neared Sydney, and it was clear the flight was going to arrive late, I asked one the chances of making the connecting flight to Canberra: he said "catch the next flight", and his partner quipped to him: "Should have said "Catch a bus!" And Qantas wonder why they are losing business to Singapore Airlines. I made the Qantaslink connection to Canberra, but only because that flight departed late as well, as it almost always does. All in all, the usual grim Qantas experience.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Canberra via Singapore
Date FlownOctober 2019

"haven’t Qantas lost the plot"

Trip Verified | My wife and I have just flown business class from Melbourne to Europe return via Singapore. The international flights included Cathay Pacific, Swiss Airlines and Qantas. The Cathay Pacific and Swiss flights were very good, service was top notch cabin crew were excellent and the food great. Then we come to Qantas, Singapore to Melbourne on QF 36 03/10/2019. Well haven’t Qantas lost the plot - the aircraft was delayed an hour and when we did board further delays caused by a door that wouldn’t lock so consequently 2 hours late leaving Singapore The cabin is very old and dated on the A380 with the 2+2+2 configuration, no hot towel on boarding no tablecloths, cabin crew not that friendly then to top it all off breakfast was either a roll, croissant, muesli or fruit I thought for a minute I was on Jetstar. Qantas like to promote luxury but in fact it is becoming a high priced, low cost airline offering very basic services, other carriers from Australia provide a better service.
RouteSingapore to Melbourne

"has lost it's spirit"

Trip Verified | Perth to Singapore. The spirit of Australia has lost it's spirit and no longer cares about their customers. My wife and I flew Qantas from Perth to Singapore on the 30/09/19 with the return flight booked for 6:40pm on the 09/10/19. We had to check out of the Marina Bay Sands Hotel at 11:00. I checked onto the flight on line and dropped our baggage in at the Changi Airport and waited. At 12:30 pm I received a text stating the flight had been cancelled. There was no explanation or advise on what to do. Not even an apology! I tried calling Qantas but no one would answer. We tried to speak to someone from Qantas at the Airport but no one was available. When passengers arrived at 4:30pm to check in they couldn't and the Qantas staff who arrived at the same time had no idea the flight had been cancelled or what to do. They made calls and said they had no idea what was going on. After some time they told us the flight had been rescheduled for the following night. I had no baggage as I had checked it in. Qantas rep said to go to lost and found. As a result I had to go through customs to gain entry and again to leave with my bags. Taxis were arranged and we were put up in the cheapest hotel they could find, the Boss Hotel. My wife and I could not move in the room unless we placed our bags on the two single beds and the toilet was so close to the shower screen we couldn't sit on it properly. The window looked out onto a dark concrete wall. And the lighting was ridiculous. 2 powdered coffee and milk satchels provided for our stay. Food vouchers were provided for a nearby bar/kiosk. We were told that a bus would take us to the airport at 9:30 am. I received a call from the hotel in the morning advising that the flight had been cancelled again and we were to keep our rooms. I received a email from Qantas stating the flight was now scheduled for 8:40 pm on the 13/10/19. The only flight I could get out of Singapore was on Air Asia via Malaysia leaving at 9:30pm 10/10/19 arriving in Perth 5:15am 11/09/19 cost $2.300!. I have tried cancelling the Qantas flight for the 13/10/19 but I can't cancel on line, the site says I must call Qantas and after 90 minutes on hold I was finally able to cancel my booking and get a refund, in 21 days. I can accept that things go wrong, and flights get delayed and cancelled. I can’t accept Qantas not keeping us informed or providing at least basic advice as what to do.
RoutePerth to Singapore
Date FlownOctober 2019

"crew always chit chatting"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Singapore. What annoys me is the crew tend to always chit chatting between each other when they are serving the passengers not looking at the passenger when serving as they are busy in their own conversation with other crew members /colleagues. And they were so busy chit chatting while serving they forgot my dessert - so i asked for it - the crew just handed it to me with no apology and no eye contact while continue chit chat with her colleague and laughed away. And some crew would knock into your elbows while pushing the cart roughly around and no apology extended like they don't care. Some crew won't even smile just go about their work like robots to do the minimum task. When passenger ask about the menu the crew don't seem to know what they are serving ! Can't answer basic question like what is the meat in the menu for example. Not sure they will say. Just a general lack of care or interest or a smile i would say about the service not that they are rude or anything. Just in their own world not engaging with passengers.
RouteMelbourne to Singapore