Qantas Airways

"customer service is very poor"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Port Hedland via Perth. I fly with Qantas a lot for work and have done for leisure, and I just don't get why it's expensive to fly and the customer service is very poor. Contacting them is very difficult and using their chat service online is only useful if you have a whole day to waste on waiting for them to reply. It's a chat Qantas not email. I definitely would not recommend using them. It seems like they have a bee in their bonnet when they don't realise that we are the customers.
RouteBrisbane to Port Hedland via Perth

"What shameful treatment"

Trip Verified | Adelaide to Nadi via Sydney. I have never experienced such a disruption What should have been a straightforward flight was turned into a farce. Fog in Sydney delayed flights and so 12 passengers from Adelaide were late getting in and we rushed to the gate to find our International flight had left! We then had to return via immigration retrieve our bags and be put on a flight via Brisbane arriving in Nadi 13 hours after our original arrival. This is for a flight 4 hours away from Australia. We were given a voucher for 15 dollars. What shameful treatment. Poor communication wrong messages and this airline has a supposedly good reputation.
RouteAdelaide to Nadi via Sydney
Date FlownJuly 2019

"staff were very friendly"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Melbourne. An enjoyable flight. Again, as with the flight to Sydney it was cancelled. But I was able to take a flight departing 90 minutes earlier. The staff were very friendly and efficient. They served a very tasty and filling salad. IFE was limited. No personal screen, but that didn't matter for such a short flight. Again I miss the option of music!
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownJune 2019

"Overall an enjoyable flight"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Sydney. Unfortunately my flight was cancelled, but it was a blessing in disguise as I was able to fly an A330 instead of a 737 which had a much better seat. There was a delay boarding and departing unfortunately. The staff were very friendly. IFE was OK, it's such a pity they no longer offer music. The food (Chicken Kiev) was quite average for a business class meal. Economy on the way home was tastier. The wine served was excellent. Overall an enjoyable flight.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney
Date FlownJune 2019

"Qantas has fallen way behind other premium carriers"

Not Verified | Sydney to London Heathrow. Sadly Qantas has fallen way behind other premium carriers in many departments. I usually enjoy flying A380's due to generous cabin space and comfy seats, but Qantas offers perhaps the worst example of this aircraft I have ever flown. The seats were old and in a poor condition, tray tables damaged and entertainment screens not working. Seat pitch was also really poor, with my knees easily pushing against the seat in front. Mercifully there was a spare seat to my left so I could twist to the side. The biggest disappointment was the food on offer. The chicken main course was almost inedible, served with chewy spinach and bland potatoes. No starter, cheese or crackers, nor side. The dessert was a flabby mousse that I left. As for breakfast, it was a tired fruit salad with a snack size muffin. Honestly the worst food I have ever had on any airline in the world. I wouldn't ever fly Qantas again for long haul, especially given the price you pay for the lack of quality. It's not surprising that Qantas now only scrape into the four-star category; to me it should be three star at best.
RouteSydney to London Heathrow
Date FlownJune 2019

"A very standard experience"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Melbourne return with Qantas Airways. Terrible weather conditions in Sydney/Melbourne caused delays which had a flow on affect throughout the day. I was lucky as my flight was just slightly delayed and arriving only 30 minutes late. The boarding process was slightly chaotic because of cancellations making the schedule more tight. Cabin crew were mediocre, almost robotic but on the return flight they were more lively and enthusiastic. Catering of snacks and drinks were delicious and the IFE offering great options to pass the time. A very standard experience for domestic travel. The main thing to work on is the Priority boarding as it needs to be enforced.
RouteSydney to Melbourne
Date FlownJune 2019

"very disappointed with my flight"

Trip Verified | Singapore to London. I was very disappointed with my Qantas flight from beginning to end. As a frequent flyer I was able to use the lounge in Singapore which was disappointing in it's food offerings. The flight to London was on a very old A380 which I believe was to be renovated soon. Qantas has cut down on the meals you only get the hot meal option with no salads ,vegetables or even desert. No more trays. Needless to say it is inadequate for such a long flight. Frequent flyer status is no longer acknowledged on Qantas flights as when I travel on other one world airlines. The choice of movies were fine but the screens were antique! I was given a small mineral water bottle on arrival on the aircraft but when I went to get more water I was told that they do not carry bottled water on the aircraft anymore because of cost savings! The air hostess was very hostile and annoyed at me for this. So I drank small cans of coke instead. The crew all had their own large bottled water with their names on it to make sure passengers don't take it! I was shocked, have never experienced this on any full service airline in my 40 years of flying. The crew were cold and stern and there were no drink runs throughout the flight. They do not answer any calls either. The toilets were not kept clean. Before landing we were given a small meal again a small container. I was very disappointed and hope that Qantas will reconsider carrying at least bottled water on their flights in future.
RouteSingapore to London
Date FlownMay 2019

"another great experience"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Gold Coast. After a long flight from Amsterdam to Sydney via Dubai on Emirates it feels like you are home when you board a QANTAS plane and this was no exception. Despite a short flight time of about an hour and a gate to gate time of about 80 minutes the service included a drink before takeoff and a hot meal during the flight all served in a friendly and efficient manner. Overall another great experience with QANTAS.
RouteSydney to Gold Coast
Date FlownAugust 2018

"so penny pinching"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to London via Perth / Paris. I am outraged to find out that in our next flight which is to Paris in July that we are not entitled to a pick u car in Paris airport as I was told today that our flight from London is on BA. Well that is correct as we booked from Melbourne to Paris and as Qantas did not fly to Paris the only way to do it was via London. We have flown before many times via booking on Qantas although often on a Emirates flight where we have had pickups each of the 4 legs. What a complete rip off Qantas to wriggle out of it. Despite paying an enormous amount of money each to be precise and spending about 20 plus hours on Qantas flights and only a couple of hours on a BA flight Qantas penny pinches and by refusing to pay a car pickup. Because we are flying back on Emirates flights we get a pickup from our hotel in Paris and to our home in Melbourne. We are both longtime QFFs, currently Platinum, and are so angry about Qantas penny pinching illogical approach. I spoke to a person today who assured me if we had stopped in London it would have supplied it. Just not good enough. So many other airlines do provide it. The answer in case any one is interested is to book on Qantas but fly on actual Emirates planes or actually chose to fly other airlines who do provide pickups Yes first world problems etc but so penny pinching.
RouteMelbourne to London via Perth / Paris
Date FlownJune 2019

"will never fly Qantas again"

Not Verified | Ground staff at check in need more training and are slow. Flight was delayed by 1.20 minutes due to staff disorganisation and we missed our connecting flight. The ground crew in Bangkok didnt want to assist us in reimbursement and refused to put us in a cheap hotel for the night even though it was their fault. Cabin crew were lazy. 1) Left side the plane got served food and the other half got served 30 minutes later. 2) Crew gave left side ice cream, other half waited 2 hours for theirs. We all had to reach over one another to put our rubbish in the bag that a steward opened and walked down the plane with, he would not pick rubbish off peoples tables (no service). 3) Three of the seats infront of me would not return to the uprite position. The head rests pushed tour neck forward causing upper back and trapeze pain (bad seat design). 4) Food served was 1 meal 2 hours into the flight. Boarded at 9 am, got in the air just after 11 am, food at 1.30pm. They seved a snack (tart dumpling 1.5 hours before we landed in Bangkok (9 hour flight). Usually that flight consists of 2 solid meals. I am a frequent flyer and I will never fly Qantas again. Garuda in the 1980's is better than Qantas in 2019. Thai Airways is just so easy on every level and go above and beyond to make flying hassle free.
RouteSydney to Bangkok