Qantas Airways

"Worst flight I've ever taken"

Trip Verified | Sydney to London. Worst flight I've ever taken. Delay of five and a half hours before take off. Left on the plane for about three hours while refuelling resulting in about 27 hours onboard the plane in total - lights off for the duration of the flight. I think more than half the passengers' baggage was lost. Getting in touch with Qantas to find out the location of my stuff has been impossible. No communication at all. Awful customer service all round. I will never fly with Qantas again.
RouteSydney to London
Date FlownMarch 2020

"a really terrible experience for my family and me"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience during covid 19 travel restrictions. I had a one way ticket back from Australia to Singapore on Qantas and a one way ticket up from Singapore to Australia on Scoot. When the travel restrictions kicked in, I got an email confirmation from Scoot on the refund of travel credits. With Qantas, I have not gotten any email confirmation and what's worse is that my booking has now disappeared from their website. Their call centre agents speak condescendingly and very rudely. I would strongly recommend not booking with Qantas despite their competitive prices as it has been a really terrible experience for my family and me.
Date FlownMarch 2020

"comfortable with a wide seat"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Osaka via Sydney. My booking with Cathay Pacific using Qantas frequent flyer points was abruptly cancelled by Cathay Pacific without any offer of rebooking. After a long wait the Qantas call centre booked me on this Qantas service. Check-in was smooth. The domestic lounge in Melbourne is well-appointed with reasonable food choices. My flight to Sydney was comfortable with a wide seat and a pleasant if somewhat bland vegetarian meal. On the connecting flight to Osaka the seat was also very comfortable though lacking in storage. The service was friendly and efficient. My vegetarian meal was better than on many carriers. On the other hand, the alcoholic drinks offered were distinctly second-top shelf, unlike on some Asian carriers. Both flights operated on time.
AircraftBoeing 737 / A330
RouteMelbourne to Osaka via Sydney
Date FlownMarch 2020

"They will rob you blind"

Not Verified | Qantas is gouging customers during a global pandemic. Do not use them!! I have flights scheduled in May for myself and my daughter from the USA to Sydney. We are traveling to see my son who is studying abroad. He has been recalled by his University due to the pandemic so he is returning home. As of today, Qantas is announcing they are canceling all Int'l flights through the end of May. They are only offering a 12-month travel credit even though they are canceling flights. With my son returning to the USA, I have no plans to travel on Qantas in the next 12 months. In order to cancel my flights since I won't be using their voucher, Qantas is charging a cancellation fee of $500 per ticket for the International leg and $250 per ticket for the domestic leg. So I paid $2500 for both tickets, they are canceling my flight, and they want to charge me $1500 in fees! This is terrible customer service! In a time of crisis like this, they should be doing the right thing and waive these extremely exorbitant fees. They are ripping off customers and meanwhile, they will end up getting millions of dollars in federal relief when governments bail them out. This is completely unacceptable especially given the fact we are in a pandemic and they are the ones canceling. Your travel voucher does me NO good. I strongly suggest not flying Qantas now, or ever. They will rob you blind if something goes wrong and they need to cancel. Not to be trusted.
Date FlownMarch 2020

"the vouchers are virtually useless"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Tokyo. This flight was cancelled by myself before the Australian Do Not Travel warning. I indicated I wanted a credit card refund not voucher. Then they indicated (after the Australian Travel warning) that they had made my refund into a voucher instead. I do not want vouchers as I do not intend to travel for a while. Also, I paid by credit card - vouchers will mean I will have to incur Credit Card debt of more than $7000. This is totally unfair and I am unsure if it is legal. I cancelled on my own accord and I am willing to pay the cancellation fee. I need to reimburse my credit card. This action does not encourage me to travel with Qantas anymore so the vouchers are virtually useless.
RouteMelbourne to Tokyo
Date FlownMarch 2020

"not notified of booking failure"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to London via Singapore. A booking with Qantas appeared to be successful in that they sent me a promotional email containing a booking reference that seemed to correspond to the booked flights, but nothing else for over 2 weeks. When I tried to again access my booking, I came up against a “your flight details have changed, click here to accept new flights” but nowhere to click and no new flights. Called Qantas (40 minutes on hold). It seemed the flights had not been booked, but unable to explain why. They initially tried to sell me a replacement that involved an 11 hour stopover, before selling me exactly the flights I tried to originally book. I complained about not being notified of the booking failure. There then followed a pointless series of emails, first addressing a problem I had not complained about, then insisting that the rebooking was actually them notifying me of the problem and not as a result of me initiating matters. Ended with “I appreciate you may be disappointed by our response, we have considered your concerns and I'm unable to assist you any further. Thank you again for taking the time to write to us.” Mistakes happen. Companies can be judged on how they respond to them. Qantas neither responded to that error adequately, nor investigated adequately, nor owned the problem they created.
RouteKuala Lumpur to London via Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Simply not good enough Qantas"

Not Verified | Perth to Singapore. Flights cancelled due to Coronavirus. No problem. But I can't get through to Qantas by phone or their app. Been waiting on response on app for 9 hours. I kid you not. On phone for 2.75 hrs. Due to fly in 2 days and simply cant get through. I realise they are busy but this is ridiculous. Simply not good enough Qantas.
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"treated my friend like an idiot"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Sydney to Tokyo. A cabin crew treated my friend like an idiot because he can't speak English on a flight to Japan and made her ask twice do you want a coffee. Staff were laughing and joking the entire overnight flight at the back of my seat. If you can't at least make your passengers feel safe during the flight, but constantly fear getting insulted or wake up to disturbance just because staff are tired and human, I don't think you are in the right profession.
RouteSydney to Tokyo
Date FlownMarch 2020

"probably the nicest crew member"

Not Verified | Recently flew with Qantas on QF 0071 10th Feb 20 from Perth to Singapore and the cabin crew were great on that flight. We were in economy class and staff treated us like VIPs despite it being a full flight and also having to deal with some very demanding customers. Hoss is probably the nicest crew member we have encountered. He was efficient and did his job with patience and humour, a credit to Qantas.
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"They are the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Sydney. Worst airline when it comes to assistance with changing flights and reimbursement of costs as a result of their delays. Stuck in Johannesburg overnight with no luggage and 12 week old twins. Received no assistance or information. Only when we started to become angry did they even respond. Then told us to spend out of our pocket for any necessities we required for the overnight stay (I.e nappies, formula, food, hotel stay) and that we would be reimbursed in full when back in Australia. After returning home to Sydney, the Qantas so called ‘customer care’ made the whole claim process so difficult and then after all that decided not to refund all the international transaction fees I incurred (not by choice) when spending on those necessities. They are the worst airline. As an Australian, I am ashamed to call them our national airline. Fly any other airline if you can. Don’t waste your money on them.
RouteJohannesburg to Sydney