Qantas Airways

"pretty poor service"

Not Verified | I don't want to give a poor review because some aspects are great. The staff are great and the inflight service is great. But when it comes to rewards flights and limiting certain legs of the flights, it's woeful. I tried so hard to book a rewards flight return to Tokyo from Brisbane. But no matter what date I chose, they wouldn't let me fly the return leg home. They made me use a Jetstar flight to Cairns, check everything out (snow bag), and check back in to the Qantas link flight. You also couldn't amend anything for the Jetstar leg through Qantas. You had to do it through Jetstar. Then when I asked Jetstar they said I had to do it through Qantas, Qantas said the opposite. This was a never-ending occurrence, and a major pain. Also, you don't get free meal service and inflight entertainment with the Jetstar leg. Even though it's booked through Qantas. Rude if you ask me. So not only do I have to take 2 flights and the trip is much longer than necessary, I have to pay for extras on Jetstar. I think that's pretty poor service.
RouteBrisbane to Tokyo
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"food and courtesy from FA's was fine"

Trip Verified | London to Sydney via Singapore, I'm on a Qantas A380 almost monthly so that amounts to 24 sectors a year to London or Dallas. Now with that comes a certain degree of knowledge of what happens at every stage of the journey. In a premium cabin the experience is different to economy. But as a Qantas frequent flyer I know what the level of service will be (courteous, friendly, professional, occasionally a bit cold). The service, food and courtesy from the FA's was fine. I rarely eat on planes having dined in the lounge but had a bite on this occasion. The Australasian crew up to Singapore were a laid back bunch who were just fine. The English crew from Singapore to London (and the other way) were just great. They have a difficult job and appreciate a smile, thank you and a bag of candy. My only gripe is about the IFE: just could not seem to find anything decent to watch but Netflix on the phone crammed with stuff fixed that. Qantas are not perfect but then nobody is.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"no food and no information"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Singapore. We arrived from Fiji by Fiji Airways, a really pleasant experience with awesome flight attendants and good leg room, but continuing on Qantas was just the opposite. The space was bad even for an economy. On the way to the runway the plane shut down and we came to a standstill. On the 4 hrs waiting on the runway, not even one time drinks were served. We were travelling with 2 Kids (2 and 4 years old) and after app. 3 hours stuck on the runaway with no drinks, no food and no information, I asked the flight attendant for some small snacks for my Kiddies and with a look of hatred I was told that they dont serve food on the ground, only when airborne. After 4 hours we went back to the gate, deplaned as some parts had to be repaired. Things can happen on a long trip, but its up to the airline how to handle it and in 20 years flying over 100k miles per year, I never had a crew handling it that unprofessional.
RouteSydney to Singapore

"worst customer experience"

Not Verified | New York to Sydney via Los Angeles. Probably worst customer experience on airline in 15 years and solely down to lazy attitude of staff. Last leg was 15yr flight and virtually no service on the leg. The usual drinks of water or juice were never handed out and you were left to go back past economy cabin to try and find a water. No staff around for most of the flight and when they were there they would not get up but just continued talking amongst themselves. Never seen such lazy attitude on a Qantas plane and after meeting the service manager Onboard it was clear why they acted that way. Really disappointing to see an airline degrade and the arrogance /entitlement of the staff. Lots of better alternatives to fly with nowadays so try Jal. Cathay or even American.
RouteNew York to Sydney via Los Angeles
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"cabin crew were pleasant"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Denpasar via Melbourne. Check in was easy as there was no line and our baggage was sent all the way through to Denpasar. After security and a relaxing Lounge visit it was time to head to Melbourne. The flight was 10 mins late and having only an 1 hour to make the international sector I was a little anxious. Luckily we landed in Melbourne on time and the flight to Denpasar was delayed by 30 minutes as well. The cabin crew were pleasant, even congratulating my partner and I on our recent wedding. The catering was delicious, including the drink selections. The only disappointment was the IFE selection, being an older B737-800, the entertainment system is definitely not the best. We landed in Denpasar only 15 minutes behind schedule, a pretty good start to our holiday. Overall, Qantas offered a great service but I think they need to use a wide jet body on this route as there Business Suite offers a greater hard product.
RouteBrisbane to Denpasar-Bali via Melbourne

"substandard budget airline"

Trip Verified | When you purchase Qantas International Business class you expect Business Class not a substandard budget airline Premium Economy. Their own website says their seats offer much more recline than the reality. Garuda offers lie flat for the same price on their direct flights MEL-DPS. The Qantas seats are similar to Jetstar Premium but ours could not be reclined fully or the footrest lowered except with a great deal of force from us and the crew. The seats are adequate for day flights but hopeless for the overnight return flight. The Qantas ground, lounge and cabin crew offer excellent friendly service as do virtually all of their SE Asian and Middle East competitors. The Neil Perry food choice is adequate but only if you like everything overwhelmed by chili except for one pasta choice. Our first two choices were sold out (with only 10 in Business class) so we settled for third best a lamb sandwich which could not be eaten because the chipotle was so overwhelming. The snack before landing was either chili laden Thai fish cakes or a sweet potato spring roll which was again overwhelmed by chili. Other airlines offer a much more balanced food choice.
RouteMelbourne to Denpasar
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"will never use Qantas again"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Sydney. The worst customer service. If there is a problem and you call, the response is always the same. There is a two-hour wait due to the large volume of calls. No call back option exists. The premium economy cabin is not nearly as good as Air New Zealand's. We will never use Qantas again.
RouteSan Francisco to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Business Class lounge is outstanding"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Brisbane. Check-in fast and efficient. Qantas Business Class lounge is outstanding. It's definitely one of the reasons to fly Qantas instead of Virgin in business. The aircraft was a little tired, but crew service excellent and the food was above average. Priority luggage works well (unlike some airlines), bag was one of the first out.
RouteSydney to Brisbane
Date FlownDecember 2019

"last time I would fly by Qantas"

Not Verified | The first and probably the last time I would fly by Qantas. The initial flight QF 81 was cancelled without any explanation, which is unprofessional. The next flight, which was 7 hrs later, was again delayed, we kept sitting in plane for an hour at least due to refuelling issues, which made us miss our connecting flight. Utter chaos. We get to Bali, after missing the connecting flight, folks dont know where to send us. Qantas had 5 hours to figure that out. They finally put us on Jet star flight and eventually miss our luggage. That was the nail in the coffin. Totally unacceptable.
RouteSydney to Singapore via Bali
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"ashamed to serve food like that"

(New Caledonia)

Trip Verified | Noumea to Sydney. The flight itself was quite good : even if we had a little delay because our plane arrived 30 minutes late to Nouméa, the pilot was able to compensate by bringing us to Sydney with only a 5 minutes delay. The service was correct but not exceptional, I felt that the stewards were cold with us and even a bit exhausted. The food was not good at all : I mean, apart for the Kit Kat chocolate bar and for the glass of water, it was really bad. I was supposed to have rice with tuna curry and the rice was partly crunchy on the surface and mushy under the surface, the tuna was overcooked, the curry had a faint spicy flavour, so, I was really disappointed about it. I'm conscious that airplane food is not always exceptional or good but I would be ashamed to serve food like that to people. The inflight entertainment is good as you have a screen on which you can watch movies, play games, listen to music, etc. I would say that it's the biggest positive thing about this flight. Ground service was okay, but they required us to get a tourist visa for Australia even if I was just doing a stopover which was less than 8 hours (and normally, when you're in transit for less than 8 hours, visa isn't required). I found that weird, but Qantas ground staff in Noumea airport insisted on it, so I had to do so and I paid for it. But, finally, it didn't serve me at all on the next flight, so I paid like 40 euros for something that I never used in Sydney airport. I'm unsure about recommending this airline for the time being,. but according to all what I said, it will be a little "no" for this time.
RouteNoumea to Sydney