Porter Airlines

"worst airline I’ve ever flown"

Trip Verified | Absolute worst airline I’ve ever flown! My original flight was cancelled by the airline without notice and I was put on a different flight, which then got cancelled. After changing to a 3rd flight , I learned that this new flight was now delayed for more than 4 hours. We received no food vouchers, no apologies, even after I learned some passengers had been waiting at the gate for more than 7 hours. I was so fed up with the entire experience that I was ready to just cancel my trip and return home. They told me to call customer service to inquire about a refund as this was not an option they could provide. I was on hold with customer service for an hour with no answer. With no certainty of a refund, I chose to board the flight to Toronto after all. As we approached Toronto, they told us the plane couldn’t land at the airport due to weather conditions and the flight was diverted to Hamilton. After an entire day of delays and cancellations, we were now stranded at an airport hours away from our intended destination. The shuttle service provided to transport everyone to Toronto took more than 2 hours to arrive. We stood in the cold watching the entire flight crew drive off in luxury car service. While I do appreciate the pilots getting us on the ground safely, I feel that customer service was extremely lacking. Save yourself the frustaration and headache, and use another airline.
RouteNewark to Toronto
Date FlownNovember 2022

"crew was not helpful at all"

Trip Verified | The flight was delayed twice but that's not the irritating part. They said my carry-on was too big. I've taken 3 flights in the past week with it and it was fine. The attendant said try it, if it doesn't fit, you'll have to check it. It fit just fine under the seat in front of me! The problem was my husband sitting next to me had the same carryon and we couldn't fit both of them under the seats (the overhead was indeed too small). Since the flight was only half full, I'm not kidding maybe less than half, we asked if he could sit in an empty row and put his bag under those seats. They said no. He was not allowed putting his bag under any seat except his assigned seating. Is that really a rule? I've never encountered that before. So we had to check one of our carry-ons and had trouble at baggage claim because it wasn't there. They never told us it wasn't going with the regular baggage. So more delays, and just really aggravating because we go to the trouble of bringing thimble sized toothpaste and moisturizer, and take it all out yo display for TSA just so we can skip baggage only to be forced to do it needlessly. The crew was not helpful at all.
RouteOttawa to Toronto

"Terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | I was set to flyout Nov 4 at 8am to pick up a new car in Toronto. I got an email saying my flight was delayed from 8am to now 5:40Pm. This alone is already bad but things happen and I get it. I tried to to switch my flight online for hours and it was not letting me what so ever. I tried their “chat function” and surprise of course that was not available either. I was on hold on the phone for 3 hours and no one picked up (what a surprise). Since I could not transfer my flight online or get a hold of anyone since apparently this is to hard for Porter I had to take that flight and book a hotel to spend the night in Toronto and pick up my vehicle the following morning since the dealership was closed at that time. Another thing to note is my flight was delayed another 3 times! I did not leave Ottawa till 7:40pm (Almost 12hrs later than my initial flight). I talked to a Porter representative at the airport and they basically said file a complaint online we cant help you. I filed my complaint asking to be at least compensated for the hotel room I had to get due to their terrible customer service and they said it’s not their problem and they wont be helping. I will never fly porter again. Terrible customer service
RouteOttawa to Toronto
Date FlownNovember 2022

"49$ fee for carry on luggage"

Trip Verified | Quite disappointing. 49$ fee for carry on luggage barely feels like the "premium" airline branding they give themselves. And to top it off, if you don't opt in for it you don't get an online boarding pass and need to queue to obtain it. This is low cost carrier practise and quite deceiving.
RouteSudbury to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Two flight attendants couldn’t stop talking the whole flight"

Trip Verified | In the last two rows of the plane and four of us were trying to sleep. Two flight attendants couldn’t stop talking the whole flight about skateboarding and scooters. None of us could sleep and the attendants didn’t seem to care at all. Very unsatisfactory service. WestJet I should have taken your later flight.
RouteNewfoundland to Halifax
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Would not recommend"

Trip Verified | We received an email letting us know our flight the next morning had been cancelled at 9pm the night before, and we had been rebooked on a flight 3 days laterR. We had connecting flights to our home in Australia that we would have missed, but the Porter team, nice as they were, were unable to do anything to get us on a suitable flight. Not even a hotel room. $2000 later and we’re booked on a 5am Air Canada flight, the only feasible way to make our international connection. Would not recommend.
RouteThunder Bay to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Magnificent service"

Trip Verified | I traveled to Washington Dc on Porter airlines with wheelchair assist. I left a therapy cushion in the airport lounge. When I asked the flight attendant if someone could get it and bring it onto the still- boarding aircraft, she said a ground staffer would bring it. That did not work out, so after a word from the flight attendant, the pilot got off the plane, found the cushion and brought it to me. Magnificent service. Fly Porter.
RouteToronto Billy Bishop to Washington Dulles
Date FlownJuly 2022

"The customer service is unbelievably bad"

Trip Verified | I would rather crawl to my destination than ever have to fly with this airline again. The customer service is unbelievably bad. The facilities are old, dirty, and uncomfortable. The flight attendants are rude and unprofessional. The check in agents are virtually useless and have little to no idea what they are doing. The entire flight likely knows the life story of the flight attendants as they sat in the very back row and talked loudly enough for the pilot to hear the entire flight, which was at 7 in the morning. They had their belongings strewn across the back row, not properly stowed for any of the flight, including take-off and touch down, meanwhile chastising passengers for having purses on their laps. They cancelled our flight 7 hours before we were scheduled to depart due to "crew unpreparedness" and no reimbursements for anything were offered at all. We had to pay to stay another night in a foreign country after they rescheduled our flight to 24 hours later. I cannot believe an airline like this is allowed to fly or is still in business. Spirit seems like first class after this. I’m still shocked we made it to our destination safely. Avoid at all costs!
RouteQuebec City to Washington D.C.
Date FlownJune 2022

"last minute cancellation"

Not Verified | Thunder Bay to Toronto. Second time this weekend that there was a last minute cancellation for us with no explanation, no compensation besides having to wait for the “next available flight” which one of them was the next day and the other was a 2 hour wait.
RouteThunder Bay to Toronto
Date FlownJune 2022

"incompetence or carelessness"

Not Verified | Newark to Thunder Bay via Toronto. Part of this poor experience with Porter was due to weather so that's out of Porter's control and I understand that, however when my husband's flights were rebooked (after being cancelled twice) he was always rebooked on the last flight of the day, which doesn't make sense to me because if earlier flights are delayed for long enough then won't the last flight be cancelled? And that's exactly what happened on the second day. Anyway, when his flight was rebooked the second time, he was in Toronto (after arriving from Newark) and for some reason the person who booked this flight selected the departing location as Newark again, so when he arrived at the airport for his flight they couldn't locate him (because he was in Toronto, not Newark) and they said they couldn't do anything for him. So while he's in Billy Bishop, he had to call customer service to fix the flight information and after about half an hour it was finally fixed and he was given his boarding pass. It just seemed like incompetence or carelessness, and we were ready to cut our losses and book with WestJet or something instead.
RouteNewark to Thunder Bay via Toronto