Porter Airlines

"worst staff attitude"

Trip Verified | The worst staff attitude ever. I was on my way from US to Montreal via Toronto and forgot my portable charger in the NY to Toronto flight with 2 credit cards on the backside of it. As soon as I was at security check for my connecting flight to Montreal, I realised it and informed the porter desk in the lounge. They called the aircraft staff and got to know that they found the stuff. Since I had a flight in next 15 minutes, they told me to jump on the flight and that they would send my stuff in the next flight which was just after 30 mins of this flight. They asked me to speak with the portal staff in Montreal. I contacted their staff at the Montreal airport and they said we did not get any message about any such suff left. I said pls check my file and that they would put the note on my file as they assured me at the Toronto airport. The lady did not even bother to check this and asked me to wait for 30 mins till the next flight arrives. I waited for almost 40 mins and then asked the lady again so she said she is going to check on the flight which just arrived. She comes after another 10 mins and does not even bother to inform me as to whether she found it or not. I go to her again and she carelessly says that they havent sent anything in this flight. I told her that I have my 2 credit cards in it and no cash left. She suggested me to contact the manager in the departure area. When I went there, the manager contacted the staff at Toronto airport and he was continually asking me to whom I got in touch with at the Toronto airport. I said I did not ask the name. He said that he is not able to know whom I contacted and that they dont know whether they found my stuff? I said that I am sure that they had found it and they were going to send that in the next flight. Finally, they just gave me a recipe of lost stuff and asked me to wait for a call.
RouteNewark to Toronto via Montreal
Date FlownMay 2019

"they offered me no compensation at all"

Trip Verified | Out of all the many times I've flown and traveled, I must say Porter Airlines is by far the worst way to travel. During the Easter weekend after purchasing a one way nonstop flight from Toronto to Thunder Bay for almost $500, a week in advance, my flight was at the very last minute changed to a 6 hours flight that made a stop in Sue Saint Marie. Considering my driver was stuck waiting for 4 hours and I was not alerted about the flight change until boarding the plane, they offered me no compensation at all and told me that the case is closed and I should be happy that they were able to get to the people to Sue Saint Marie in time for Easter. So they forced me to be late so others could be on time even though I paid to be on time, a one way nonstop flight which I did not get. So if you're looking to get what you paid for, not get ripped off, and get good customer service, I would suggest you pick a different airline as they cant not provide any of the above. Worst customer service ever. Worst flight ever.
RouteToronto to Thunder Bay
Date FlownApril 2019

"were very helpful today"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Thunder Bay via Toronto. Todd and Sandra were very helpful today and I wanted to point their efforts out. Flight was delayed/cancelled after boarding due to a mistake of a loading dock staff’s part. Todd was pleasant & calm in booking me & my travelling partners on a new flight. Sandra was a joy to deal with too. Thanks in part to them, our delayed experience was pleasant.
RouteMontreal to Thunder Bay via Toronto
Date FlownMay 2019

"insisted I have to check it in"

Not Verified | Chicago to Toronto with Porter Airlines. I paid premium for my flight and the agent charged me $39 for a carry on bag. She insisted I have to check it in. I fly with this on all airlines.
RouteChicago to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2019

"do not communicate delays"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Newark. If you want to depart at 6, get a ticket for 4. It is not only impossible for this airline to leave on time, they do not communicate delays. Of course, no one expects much from airlines, but the level of sheer disrespect to customers by Porter is out of control. If you’re returning to Toronto in the evening, that delay might cause you to be rerouted with no compensation. Horrible customer service, avoid if possible.It is surely a first world complaint, but few things cause me as much annoyance as porter airlines.
RouteToronto to Newark
Date FlownApril 2019

"appalling Basic Economy Structure"

Trip Verified | I have traveled Porter many times from their inception. I have seen them grow and have participated in my of their growing pains. I was also very thrilled with the level of service I received and was impressed by the friendliness of the Air Hostesses. The ground staff - though not always pleasant were never rude. The reason for my review this time is the appalling Basic Economy Structure I was surprised with. They charge you $39.40 or something when you try to check in. This should have been made clear when I first booked the ticket and should not have been a surprise item. This was particularly painful because I had the onward journey with Air Canada and the return with Porter. With the new facelift of the terminal Porter niceties are gone - like free coffee and cookies etc. Now a breakfast sandwich costs $15.99. I am all for paying for convenience but this in my opinion is a ripoff. I am happy to note the rest of the service remains the same.
AircraftQ400
RouteToronto to Boston
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"extra fees for carry on"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Toronto. Not happy with the service. Porter airlines advertises cheap prices but then surprise you with extra fees for carry on bags. Don’t fool yourselves, it’s not actually as cheap as they say. Air Canada is way better and better service. This is my first and last time flying with Porter.
RouteMontreal to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"over the 9kg limit for carry on"

Not Verified | Porter has fallen from the level of service and quality it once had. YOW lounge permanently closed. Cheapest fares (basic) now do not include a carry-on, and their definition of "personal item" is very narrow. I paid for the carry-on allowed fare, and was told that my bag was over the 9kg limit for carry on. These are not practices of a premium or comfort airline. These are practices I haven't encountered since I flew super discount airlines in Southeast Asia. Flight was delayed almost two hours because crew was late. Upon landing at YTZ, we had to wait 15 minutes because another plane was at our gate. Then it was another 15 minutes to wait for carry on luggage to be released because they were short staffed that night. So much for "flying refined"...
RouteOttawa to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"over $44 for my baggage fee"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Montreal. They have completely changed over the last five years I will never use them again. They rip you off on your baggage fee if you don’t book it online. However they don’t tell you that!! When you arrive at the airport you cannot book your baggage charge on a separate booking station you have to wait for over one hour to speak to aN airline associate. I had to wait over one hour in the line up because their was only one person serving hundreds of people flying out yesterday. Then when I got to the line up she charged me over $44 for my baggage fee! On the way down I flew with westjet who charged me $30 On top of everything else, I had to ask this associate four times to give me a receipt and to return my photo Id. They use to be the best airline, Use air Canada or west jet in the future
RouteToronto to Montreal

"good days are over"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Washington. The good days are over (from a customer perspective)! I've been flying Porter for years, literally the day after they opened the Toronto-Washington route in 2011. Everything was fantastic until they reached a critical mass, and they sold the airport to an external investor. No more free coffee and snacks in the lounge, overall service is terrible, check-in staff is now just as indifferent as with any other major airline (maybe also as a result of a looming first time strike, as they protest bad management and disappearing benefits), price and frequent flyer structure is far less attractive than it used to be. Don't get me wrong: Porter is not worse than any other (North American) Airline, but they used to be so much better in almost all areas, and they are now just the same. I used to feel special based on how they treated me (even without their "VIP" program), now I have the same stupid cattle feeling as I have flying any other major airline. Growth and prosperity is certainly desirable, and I saw how Porter developed over the last few years. Unfortunately it has slowly followed the trend of most other carriers, and I have no incentive anymore to choose Porter. It's just too bad.
AircraftQ400