Philippine Airlines

"service was excellent"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Return Flight to Riyadh on Economy 23D. Again, it was a full flight. Departure was a little bit delayed due to some passengers who were late in checking in early. Take-off was delayed for around 25-30 minutes. The Captain informed the onboard passengers of the delay and the cause of the delay. Again, Flight was smooth, and truly lived up to the 4 star rating. Used again my own android platform tablet for the in-flight entertainment using My PAL application. Food was superb, service was excellent.
AircraftA330-300
RouteManila to Riyadh
Date FlownJune 2019

"Truly a 4 Star airline"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Manila. Economy Class, Seat 22D. Flight was full. Service was Superb. Truly a 4 Star airline. FA's were very courteous. I bought my own tablet, and a charging cable (3-pin) so I can access My PAL player and so that the battery won't run out. Charging outlet is under the seat - right side.
AircraftA330-300
RouteRiyadh to Manila
Date FlownMay 2019

"we would be compensated"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Dumaguete via Manila. We arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport on May 31, 2019 for our 5.55pm Flight PR737 to Manila at 3.55pm. When we went to the check-in we were advised that PAL had changed the plane to a smaller one, so we were bumped, but we would be compensated by a free return flight anywhere in Asia, valid for one year and we would also be taken to an hotel to rest and have a meal. They asked which flight we would like to take instead, we opted for the 1.30am next day, which would allow more than 5 hours in Manila till the domestic flight. It took them more than 3 hours to rebook the flights, issue boarding passes and get us to the hotel. It was a nice hotel and we were able to have buffet dinner, however, there was little time to rest before returning to the airport. When we got back to the airport it was 11.15pm, only to find out from the departure board that the 1.30am flight had been delayed till 4.30am. No one contacted the hotel to inform us. They did give a meal voucher for only THB400 each, for Bangkok airport outlet prices? We were to pick up vouchers for the free flights when we went back for 1.30am flight. But the story had changed, the validity for the free flights was only 6 months. If so, this would mean the children could not avail of the flights, since they will be in school for more than 6 months before having a holiday. Then there was some doubt whether these tickets would be for Asia, or only to Thailand. The flight left at 4.40 am and landed in Manila about 9.10 am and had to go through Immigration, baggage claim and transfer T2 to T3. We raced to the T3 check in and arrived exactly 45 minutes before the 11.15 am PAL flight to Dumaguete, just as they were about to close. I got charged P1,600 for 3kg excess baggage. When we got to the gate, the flight was delayed, It was delayed till 1.30 pm, from 11.15 am.
AircraftA321. A320
RouteBangkok to Dumaguete via Manila
Date FlownJune 2019

"Philippines Airlines computer error"

Trip Verified | Philippines Airlines computer error. I had confirmation of my ticket paid for a upgrade of £1600 from my original economy ticket. Got to Manila airport and was not allowed to travel due to an internal computer error although I have ticket confirmation and paid the extra £1600 on top of economy ticket. There solution to leave me stranded in Manila another 48 hours until they can get me on another flight. Philippine Airlines ticket office admitted internal computer error but lack of sympathy. No compensation. It took me 2 hours to file complaints and am awaiting my business fare to be returned and I am have trouble claiming back original economy ticket returned due the computer error £600.
RouteManila to London

"I enjoyed my flight"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Manila to New York. I don't normally fly this route, as I live closer to Clark in the Philippines and closer to Boston in the United States. I originally had plans in New York this time though, so I had an excuse to try this route. Unfortunately, our plane was 35 minutes late to arrive at our gate in Manila. Gate staff asked people to volunteer to check luggage as the flight was supposedly fully booked. However, upon boarding, I found that there were many seats which were never occupied. Otherwise, the gate staff handled the boarding professionally given the late arrival of the plane. We would have made up for some lost time if it were not for delays for taking off. On board the aircraft, the seats were comfortable. I was particularly pleased I was able to fit my small traveling bag in the seatback pocket in front of me. (That doesn't always happen.) An adequate amenities kit was provided. I found the safety video shown to be quite touching--and very Pinoy. As for the food, I was honestly surprised by how creative some of the meals offered were. (The food I have had on Philippine Airlines in the past was usually good, but simpler.) We were served two full meals and a "hot snack," which was basically like a full meal without the standard salad and roll. It was just the right amount of food for the flight--not too little, and not too much. I was a bit disappointed at first that the flight attendants did not come through the cabin offering water and/or juice between services, but I later realized it was a good thing in that I felt no pressure to accept such drinks. I did, however, get very thirsty at one point and pressed the call button. A flight attendant arrived, already carrying a cup of water for me. Impressive! One thing I do not understand, however, is why there is no pineapple juice available. I mean, pineapple juice is found pretty much anywhere in the Philippines. And if Philippine Airlines took a walk on the wild side and offered something like Del Monte Pineapple-Blueberry juice, then the airline could gain a cult following over it, like Jet Blue's serving blue potato chips on their flights in the United States. It would be something that stands out. Perhaps the biggest issue I found with this flight was the entertainment system. While I appreciate that individual seatback monitors were available, there were three big issues. One was that the system had to be rebooted in the middle of the flight and was stalling repeatedly before that reboot happened. The second was that there appeared not to be any games available. The third was a lack of subtitles for films. It seems odd that the Korean and Chinese films did not have subtitles in English or Tagalog. Even for films in English, I know that many Filipinos would appreciate subtitles in English, as the subtitles make it easier for them to understand the film. Lastly, the price for my round-trip ticket was typical of Philippine Airlines: not really expensive, but also not cheap. This is one area where Philippine Airlines could improve. Overall, I enjoyed my flight and am looking forward to my return flight. Salamat, Philippine Airlines, and congratulations on your new 4 Star Ranking!
AircraftA350-900
RouteManila to New York JFK
Date FlownMay 2019

"Ground staff are helpful"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Manila to Phnom Penh. For a red flight this is not bad. We just had a hard time checking in online because there was a change of flight departure and arrival that we need to confirm via email. But as family man we hardly check our email when we are in a vacation. Ground staff are helpful but the FAs are not so much.
RouteManila to Phnom Penh

"delayed for four hours"

Trip Verified | Manila to Singapore with Philippine Airlines. Very poor experience. Flight was delayed for four hours, they offered sandwiches and drinks. Crew knowledge was poor and management was rude and dismissive - walked off halfway through talking to me.
RouteManila to Singapore

"has greatly improved"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Manila to Bangkok. Philippine Airlines has greatly improved during the years, cabin crew is very hospitable aircraft has been retrofitted to be more modern. The down side is that since they've upgraded to the new Amadeus system their check in process is still slow I guess this is still attributed to the ground staff still struggling with the new system. But over all their new motto of "buong pusong alaga" (whole hearted service) is being upheld so much that flying with Philippine Airlines feel like you're with family
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteManila to Bangkok
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Every flight was late"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Ho Ch Minh City via Manila. Every flight was late. Three hour delay out of Melbourne with no prior notice. Service was minimal and staff were mostly disinterested. Food was pretty average, as was entertainment.
AircraftA350 / A320
RouteMelbourne to Ho Ch Minh City via Manila
Date FlownApril 2019

"booked on promo fare"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | I booked Manila to Bangkok flight to travel next week on May 23 in Business Class on promo fare. I booked this trip knowing they will be using A350. May 14, I got an email that my reserved seat has been changed so I called PAL and found out that they will be using Boeing 777-300 ER. Comparing the two planes with business class seats, the 777 300ER has old school seats so I requested a full refund, but cannot be refunded without the cancellation fee of 100 USD. I think I am entitled for a full refund.
RouteManila to Bangkok