Philippine Airlines

"I haven’t flown PAL mainly because of the reviews"

Not Verified | I booked this flight for my wife and child from Manila to Toronto. First thing that happened was they rescheduled the flight from Feb 10 to Feb 17. They claimed there was overcrowding and that was the reason. I noticed the plane was also changed from a A350 to a B777. It’s a good thing I called them after that to confirm because my wife was rescheduled for the new date but our baby wasn’t (for some reason). So his name didn’t even appear on the list of passengers for the new date! The second stupid thing that happened was...my wife bought a stroller to make it easier for her and our baby to travel inside the airport, ie check in to gate etc., and carry bags at the same time. She checked the stroller in at the gate but when they landed in Toronto, they announced that the stroller has been sent to be claimed at the carousel! That means she was holding the baby all the way from the gates to immigration, and to the baggage claim! That is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. I haven’t flown PAL mainly because of the reviews, I only booked them for my family co they were the only direct flight. We will never fly with them again.
RouteManila to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"not be refunded till March"

Trip Verified | Our family purchased tickets through Cheapoair to vacation in the Philippines for December 2020 but had to cancel due to covid19. We were approved to get the refund October 2020 and was told it will take 2 business cycle to get money back. Forward to December and now January, contacted agency and i was told Philippine airlines now adjusted the rule to 5 business cycle meaning it will not be refunded till March, that is if they decide not to extend again.
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Crew did their job well"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Manila return flight last December was a breeze amidst tons of requirements due to this pandemic. However, Philippine Airlines rise to the occasion. Riyadh to Manila flight left as scheduled as per their e-mail 2 weeks before informing us of the change is timing. Along the way, they provided us all with face shields where we were required to wear through out the journey. Food was adequate but not much understandably due to the current situation Upon arrival we took the PRC test from their affiliated Laboratories where we got the result in less than six hours. This decision was so much worth it. Crew did their job well to make our flight comfortable despite so many requirements.
RouteRiyadh to Manila
Date FlownDecember 2020

"still have not received my refund"

Trip Verified | I bought a ticket from LAX to MNL and was not able to fly due to covid and since they did cancel my flight the airlines was forced to cancel my flight since then I contacted them about the issue and requested that my flight to be refunded and they approved my request and told me that I will have to wait 3 billing cycles at 1st to be able to receive my refund but to no avail again. I contacted them July about the issue and they told me it will be extended to another 5 billing cycles or until December, still have not received my refund. I called again December and they told me they were backed up and will not be able to set or promise a date. Then I received an email from their refund department December 30 2020 that my refund process was finished and yet I have not received anything from them.
Date FlownApril 2020

"sent many emails but no response"

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Sydney via Manila. I booked my flight through the Philippine Airline website with the assurance of to refund the amount within 3 months in case of cancellation. The airline cancelled the flight and refund request was generated on 15-Jul-2020. I have sent many emails but no response, I called airlines to their Manila office many times by giving the reasons my job in Saudi Arabia will finish in December 2020, my bank account will be closed permanently and I will move back home in Australia. I never received any email or phone call which is evident of worst customer service. In this Pandemic, the airline should provide every possible support to customers.
RouteRiyadh to Sydney via Manila
Date FlownJuly 2020

"not willing to change the booking"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | I am on a connecting flight to Cebu via Manila from abroad. The incoming flight with TK is ok, then the government requires a PCR test and the awaiting of results in a government approved hotel. After the results are released, travelers are allowed to continue to their final domestic destination. PAL scheduled my flight for the morning following a nighttime arrival and are not willing to change the booking despite their government making it illegal to take the only flight they are offering. No other choice than buying a new ticket and forfeiting the existing ticket without being able to use it. Countless emails and even support attempts through TK went unanswered.
RouteCebu to Manila
Date FlownSeptember 2020

7th October 2020 : Philippine Airlines response

Hi, M Mahler. We're truly sorry to hear about this. We certainly have no intention to cause you any disservice. With regards to your flights, may we know if your international and domestic flights are booked under one ticket? You may refer to this link to check the options we offer to our passengers: bit.ly/PaxOpts. With regards to your unanswered emails, our sincerest apologies for this as well. May we kindly request that you send us a message through our Facebook page at facebook.com/PhilippineAirlines so we can assist you? Thank you and stay safe!

"the food would not qualify as a meal"

Trip Verified | Two things shine about PAL. Their staff are super friendly and eager to help, more so than any other Asian airline that I've experienced. Secondly, PAL was the only airline of a total of 5 that did not cancel an itinerary on this trip. For these two reasons, the review is 5/10 stars instead of 1. The food was unfortunate. Meals were reheated and inedible. Not what I would expect in business class. I realize airlines are utilizing no contact meal service, but the food would not qualify as a meal. The 777 is an old aircraft and 2-3-2 configuration just doesn't cut it in business class anymore. When I arrived in MNL at 4 in the morning, I discovered that one of my bags was damaged. The PAL website indicates you have 7 days to report damage. I reported it after I finished my mandatory quarantine, just 2 days later and was told that they would not take care of my damaged luggage because I didn't report it right away at baggage claim and "someone else" might have caused the damage. Some airlines have been blaming the COVID pandemic for the abuses they heap on their passengers. What airlines should keep in mind is that when the pandemic is over, we have a choice of airlines to fly, and we will remember which airlines treated us well, and which did not. PAL did not. PAL made a bad choice here with my luggage issue. I generally fly across the Pacific in business class 4 to 5 times a year. I won't choose PAL next time. Refusing to repair or replace my suitcase is penny wise and pound foolish, because PAL will be one of my last choices in the future.
Date FlownSeptember 2020

7th October 2020 : Philippine Airlines response

Hi, S Jackson. Our sincerest apologies for the experience you had with us. :( We certainly have no intention to cause you any disservice. We'll have your feedback forwarded to the concerned office for their attention and service enhancement. With regards to your damaged bag, we're sorry to hear that you were not provided assistance on having it reported. A Property Irregularity Report must be filed upon arrival with our agents at the airport for proper documentation and to begin investigation as a bag without any PIR reported upon arrival is considered as received in good condition. Again, we're truly sorry for the disappointment you've felt. We appreciate you providing us feedback to help us improve our services. Thank you.

"not let me change to an earlier flight"

Trip Verified | They would not let me change to an earlier flight to get home during the COVID situation without paying a fee - which was more than what I originally paid. I asked for a refund then because their website claimed they would give them out due to the situation but I would have to send it by mail or call. So I tried calling and waited on the line for about an hour without any answer. I sent them an email explaining the situation and they were very unresponsive and simply told me the flight had been cancelled due to lock down.
RouteBangkok to London via Manila
Date FlownMarch 2020

21st August 2020 : Philippine Airlines response

Hi, N. We're truly sorry to hear about this. We certainly have no intention to cause you any disservice. Please note that rebooking may depend on your fare rules and ticket restrictions. For your refund request, may we know which email address did you send this to? You may send us a message through our official Facebook page at facebook.com/flyPAL so we can assist you further. You may also submit your request through our myPAL Request Hub. myPAL.vip/url/RequestHub Kindly note that this link can only accommodate requests for direct bookings.

"The refund never comes"

Trip Verified | I had the misfortune of being booked on a Philippine Airlines flight from LAX to MNL in November 2019 with my two very young daughters. At every opportunity, I was met with disorganization and poor communication. The flight did leave on time, and returned to LAX after an engine failure. They left us far from the terminal while they sprayed down the engine. After waiting for the paramedics to take off the panic attack people and going down the stairs and taking the shuttle and walking through the airport they couldn't offer another flight. They couldn't tell me when they could offer another flight. They couldn't offer me travel vouchers, offer me a refund,accept my request to cancel my flight and get a refund. After hours of waiting in line all they had for me was a phone number to call where I could potentially cancel and get a refund. I guess the 300 other people on the flight also got the number. It was always busy and I couldn't get through. I had the charges cancelled on the credit card. Later, the charges were re-instated because Philippine Airlines reported that I 'missed' a different flight a few days after the flight we had booked. They never contacted us by phone, email, or mail to let us know the new date. The flight they said we missed was 3 days after our scheduled flight. Despite our booking confirmation and boarding passes showing the earlier dates, and news reports showing the plane's engine failure on the same date, they only had to show the credit card company a single document showing the revised date as if it was the only date there ever was. After many more attempts to call PA, we are finally able to get through. Initially they want to say it's our fault for missing the flight they didn't bother to tell us about after giving us contact information that never worked, but they agree to give us a refund and send an email documenting it. But they want something like 6 weeks for the refund to go through. The refund never comes. If you call them, they will tell you the problem is with your 'bank' which is really the credit card company. The credit card company never got the money back. If you try to contest the charges after the 'refund' period, the credit card company now says it's 'too late' to help you.
Date FlownNovember 2019

8th October 2020 : Philippine Airlines response

Hi, T Morton. We're truly sorry to hear this. This is certainly not the experience we want you to have with us and we would like to apologize for the issues you have encountered on the said flight. We have taken note of this and we'll have this forwarded to the concerned office for their attention and service enhancement. With regards to your refund, if you are still unable to receive it, please send us a private message through our Facebook page at facebook.com/PhilippineAirlines. Thank you and stay safe.

"service were top notch"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Manila return on December and January, pre-covid pandemic. All flights were full due to the the Christmas holiday. Regardless, service were top notch, food adequate and with choices some of wines & Philippine beers. As an Elite Member of Mabuhay Miles, I was able to use the business class counter and lounge. Baggage arrived early and in good condition. Overall, I was satisfied with the service.
RouteRiyadh to Manila
Date FlownJanuary 2020

8th October 2020 : Philippine Airlines response

Hi, C Beale. Thank you for your kind words! We're glad to hear that you were able to feel our whole-hearted service on your flight. We highly appreciate your time and effort in letting us know. We look forward to seeing you again on-board! Stay safe!