Philippine Airlines

"not worth the services they offer"

Trip Verified | My sister and I together with my daughter had decided to go home to the Philippines for emergency reason. We bought a ticket and choose Philippine airlines because we thought it will help us lessen stress or inconvenience for our travel but then even if the ticket are so expensive, the services they offer are not worth the money we pay. At first they cancelled our scheduled flight instead of December 7, 2021 3pm Toronto to Vancouver to December 8, 2021 9am. We landed at terminal 2 in Manila Dec 9, 2021 7:30pm. After following all the protocols, we waited for a long time for our baggage in the conveyor but it’s not there. After 4 days during our quarantine in the hotel, they deliver our luggags. It is still so frustrating that all the things that we need during this quarantine are all there in the luggage. It cost us so much inconvenience especially that I have my daughter with me. The money we pay is not worth the services they offer.
RouteToronto to Manila via Vancouver
Date FlownDecember 2021

"saga of the non existent refund!"

Trip Verified | We booked flights for May 2020. PAL cancelled them because of covid and so starts the saga of the non existent refund! We tried every way possible, even found a few indirect ways to get hold of them. Always it's the standard line of "Just wait 5 more billing cycles sir". They also promise to expedite it all as well like that isn't just another line they are told to read out. We now have solicitors trying to recover our money, nearly £1400. We are not at all optimistic. My advice to anyone attracted by the bright livery and Mabuhay smile is to stay well clear. They are not giving refunds and they are not seemingly bothered if they cancel flights either. Before Covid they were not great, we travelled using them many times. Poor inflight meals and entertainment. They delayed flights many times on us over the years whilst other operators flew the same routes, the cheaper ones like Cebu Airlines and Air Asia. We had better service on both those.
RouteLondon to Manila
Date FlownMay 2020

"Shocking customer service"

Trip Verified | Shocking customer service. More than a year and still no refund on a fully refundable business class fare. They do not even care to answer to follow-up, just an automated email "your refund is in process". I would certainly advise against choosing that airline and certainly being very careful on their fully flexible / fully refundable fares, they have no intention of giving you your money back.
RouteMelbourne to Manila
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"still no refund in sight"

Trip Verified | We booked our flights for May 2020 departure Toronto to Kuala Lumpur. We have been told on 3 separate occasions that we would have to wait 5 billing cycles for the money to be credited to our account. It’s early August 2021 now and we’ve waited since our flights were cancelled 15 months ago. It’s been a year and 3 months, 6 long distance phone calls to customer service (because at first they weren’t even answering their toll free line) and many stressful conversations with still no refund in sight. When I call and ask to speak to a manager they tell me that no manager is available. This is hands down the worst customer service I’ve ever received. I love to travel and I love a good deal but you get what you pay for with this airline. That said, I’m out $2000 plus dollars and to me that’s a good chunk of change.
RouteToronto to Kuala Lumpur via Manila
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"a year waiting for the first refund"

Not Verified | This is about the refund process for tickets purchased during he pandemic. Twice I optimistically bought tickets to be home with my family in the last two years. Both times had to cancel because quarantine requirements there and here (Canada) would mean spending more than a month in an isolation hotel. I am well over a year waiting for the first refund, and about 7 months on the second. I have been a loyal customer for over a decade and rethinking my loyalty to them.
RouteVancouver to Manila
Date FlownJuly 2020

"Unacceptable on every level"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight in November 2019 to fly Dammam - Manila between Christmas and new year. I cancelled the flight in December and awaited a refund minus a %. I contacted the company in January and was told my refund had been paid. It hadn't. I contacted them nearly 50 times until in November 2020 they announced that my refund would be paid before April 2021. Over a year to get 30,000 pesos back. For 10 months they insisted that my bank had made a mistake. Unacceptable on every level.
RouteDammam to Manila
Date FlownNovember 2020

"not every refund experience with PAL is a bad one"

Trip Verified | Am mainly writing this review in response to recent comments I have read regarding refunds due to the pandemic. Last traveled with PAL in December 2020 just before the pandemic and the trip was fine, pretty good service, typical airline food and fair value for money. I then booked a flight in February 2021 for the end of August 2021 when they had a promotion on at a very cheap price hoping that borders may be open by then. The offer was for full refund or change of dates if flights cancelled etc due to the pandemic. Flight was cancelled about 12 days ago which I understand as borders are still closed and I opted for refund option. Money arrived back in my account today which is less than half the time they even stated being up to 30 days. Whether or not that I paid using PAYPAL made a difference I don't know, but I simply applied for refund using their online application. So just letting people know not every refund experience with PAL is a bad one.
RouteManila to Brisbane
Date FlownDecember 2020

"the support system is so poor"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Booked 2 flights with this airline but both canceled and the support system is so poor. If you're a customer, good luck hunting for their support for your refund which who knows when they'll going to give it to you. They cannot rebook your flight automatically, instead, they will just cancel it and you'll have to chase them.
RouteTokyo Narita to Cebu
Date FlownMay 2021

"The flight was simple and basic"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Received e-mail weeks before rescheduling the flight to a later timing which was an advantage to me so I have enough time with all the formalities and requirement before boarding the flight. The flight was simple and basic which was understandable to minimize contact between crew and passengers.
RouteManila to Riyadh
Date FlownMay 2021

"flight was well-managed"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Manila April 2021. Ticket was a bargain. Received e-mail a week before the flight stating move to a later timing which was good giving me chance to work whole day before going to airport. Check in was a breeze due to limited number of flights operating at Riyadh airport. Flight was not full which I suspect to due to Philippine government's limitation at Manila Airport's passenger traffic. Food was ok and each passenger was given face shield. Overall flight was well-managed despite limitations.
RouteRiyadh to Manila