Philippine Airlines

"Every flight was late"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Ho Ch Minh City via Manila. Every flight was late. Three hour delay out of Melbourne with no prior notice. Service was minimal and staff were mostly disinterested. Food was pretty average, as was entertainment.
AircraftA350 / A320
RouteMelbourne to Ho Ch Minh City via Manila

"booked on promo fare"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | I booked Manila to Bangkok flight to travel next week on May 23 in Business Class on promo fare. I booked this trip knowing they will be using A350. May 14, I got an email that my reserved seat has been changed so I called PAL and found out that they will be using Boeing 777-300 ER. Comparing the two planes with business class seats, the 777 300ER has old school seats so I requested a full refund, but cannot be refunded without the cancellation fee of 100 USD. I think I am entitled for a full refund.
RouteManila to Bangkok
Date FlownMay 2019

"crew did not really assist"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Manila to Shanghai. At check-in, I told the officer that I will sit together with my colleague, then I paid the travel tax and my colleague took the boarding passes. Only at the gate did we notice that our seats were not together as I was assigned to row 52 and he was to row 72. I had a window seat but a passenger took it just like that. So I just took an aisle seat at the center column. The cabin crew did not really assist or guide the passengers to their correct seat assignment. But it turned out to my advantage as no passenger was on that row, so I was able to lie down to sleep during the flight.
AircraftA330-300
RouteManila to Shanghai

"efficient and comfortable"

Trip Verified | The flight from Manila to Toronto is very efficient and comfortable. Also, food was great and was delighted that Philippine Airlines improved a lot. Truly deserving to be a 4-star airline in this era. Way to go PAL.
RouteManila to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2019

"PAL is a disgrace for the Philippines"

Not Verified | I prepaid my extra luggage online and printed my booking reference where it stated how much extra luggage allowance I have. At the checkin counter in Manila they told me they have no record of my extra luggage. When I showed them my receipt I was advised I need the "real" receipt apparently sent by email. Nobody could tell me why my booking reference included the extra luggage. No arguing or discussion with supervisor and on-site manager helped. Because I had not prepaid according to them the double-rate applied. Absolutely abysmal! Sheer highway robbery! What an airline and what management. I will avoid Philippine Airlines in future! So for ripping me off an extra 3,000 Peso they lost much more in future business. PAL is a disgrace for the Philippines and its wonderful people. What a welcome! I filed a complaint with the airline and they assured me I will get a response. That was 2 months ago.
RouteManila to Tagbilaran
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Good service with a smile"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Manila. Flight was very good. Food, cleanliness, seating and entertainment are all perfect. I enjoyed my flight with them. Thanks for Amanda the cabin crew. Good service with a smile. Check in counter at Auckland airport was friendly too when we check in.
RouteAuckland to Manila
Date FlownMay 2019

"not worthy of a 4-star experience"

Trip Verified | Manila to Iloilo City with Philippine Airlines. This trip was plagued with problems and not worthy of a 4-star experience. Problem #1: We purchased a business class ticket and were notified by email about five hours before the flight departed that the aircraft was changed and no longer has a business class, therefore we were downgraded to Premium Economy. Problem #2: A week before our trip, we purchased extra baggage, as we knew we had more than the baggage limit. When checking in at the airport, the check-in person could not figure out how to accommodate the pre-paid baggage and it took well over one hour for her to figure out how to enter it in the system. We had to wait in the check-in area (where there's no seating) to wait for this to be resolved. Problem #3: We, of course, wanted to be compensated for the downgrade. We were offered both a free ticket to use in 6 months (non-transferrable) and 1500 pesos (roughly US$30 each) in cash. First, we were told that we'd get the paperwork in the lounge. It never came, but right before the aircraft door closed, we were given the vouchers and papers to sign. The person who gave us the papers said we could go to the Iloilo office and get the compensation refund. We waited for 2 hours in that office and they said that they could only use the compensation towards another flight, which was completely different from what the Manila rep told us. After waiting for two hours, we complained to the manager who wouldn't budge. I can understand the ticket not being cash, but the downgrade should have been compensated (as we were told), since we received a service that was lower than our paid ticket.
RouteManila to Iloilo City
Date FlownApril 2019

"company is extremely unethical and greedy"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Manila with Philippine Airlines. Most rude, ignorant, arrogant, greedy and incompetent airline and staff I have ever witnessed. It's sad because it's just a matter of time before something bad happens on these aircraft. They separate families on purpose and out of spite. This company is extremely unethical and greedy.
RouteNew York JFK to Manila
Date FlownAugust 2018

"flight was decently good"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Busan to Manila. The flight got delayed as announced but fortunately we took off on time. Terminal 2 is really crowded and it feels more like a metro bus station than an airport. Very few stores to buy food and cramped space for waiting passengers. The flight was decently good for the price point. No IFE. The legroom was great. Online check-in sped up the process at the airport. No online check-in at PUS for PAL. Flight crews are nice. Food selection was okay, although in my PUS to MNL flight I had to eat beef because chicken meal already ran out of supply.
AircraftA321-231
RouteBusan to Manila
Date FlownApril 2019

"they’re not liable for it"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | The flight from Taipei to Manila was an hour delayed. The food was not good and the aircraft doesn’t have IFE. I handed over my baggage with fragile stickers on it to staff at Taoyuan Airport, it arrived in Manila damaged and they told me in their email response that they’re not liable for it.
RouteTaipei to Manila