Philippine Airlines

"a year waiting for the first refund"

Not Verified | This is about the refund process for tickets purchased during he pandemic. Twice I optimistically bought tickets to be home with my family in the last two years. Both times had to cancel because quarantine requirements there and here (Canada) would mean spending more than a month in an isolation hotel. I am well over a year waiting for the first refund, and about 7 months on the second. I have been a loyal customer for over a decade and rethinking my loyalty to them.
RouteVancouver to Manila
Date FlownJuly 2020

"Unacceptable on every level"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight in November 2019 to fly Dammam - Manila between Christmas and new year. I cancelled the flight in December and awaited a refund minus a %. I contacted the company in January and was told my refund had been paid. It hadn't. I contacted them nearly 50 times until in November 2020 they announced that my refund would be paid before April 2021. Over a year to get 30,000 pesos back. For 10 months they insisted that my bank had made a mistake. Unacceptable on every level.
RouteDammam to Manila
Date FlownNovember 2020

"not every refund experience with PAL is a bad one"

Trip Verified | Am mainly writing this review in response to recent comments I have read regarding refunds due to the pandemic. Last traveled with PAL in December 2020 just before the pandemic and the trip was fine, pretty good service, typical airline food and fair value for money. I then booked a flight in February 2021 for the end of August 2021 when they had a promotion on at a very cheap price hoping that borders may be open by then. The offer was for full refund or change of dates if flights cancelled etc due to the pandemic. Flight was cancelled about 12 days ago which I understand as borders are still closed and I opted for refund option. Money arrived back in my account today which is less than half the time they even stated being up to 30 days. Whether or not that I paid using PAYPAL made a difference I don't know, but I simply applied for refund using their online application. So just letting people know not every refund experience with PAL is a bad one.
RouteManila to Brisbane
Date FlownDecember 2020

"the support system is so poor"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Booked 2 flights with this airline but both canceled and the support system is so poor. If you're a customer, good luck hunting for their support for your refund which who knows when they'll going to give it to you. They cannot rebook your flight automatically, instead, they will just cancel it and you'll have to chase them.
RouteTokyo Narita to Cebu
Date FlownMay 2021

"The flight was simple and basic"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Received e-mail weeks before rescheduling the flight to a later timing which was an advantage to me so I have enough time with all the formalities and requirement before boarding the flight. The flight was simple and basic which was understandable to minimize contact between crew and passengers.
RouteManila to Riyadh
Date FlownMay 2021

"flight was well-managed"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Manila April 2021. Ticket was a bargain. Received e-mail a week before the flight stating move to a later timing which was good giving me chance to work whole day before going to airport. Check in was a breeze due to limited number of flights operating at Riyadh airport. Flight was not full which I suspect to due to Philippine government's limitation at Manila Airport's passenger traffic. Food was ok and each passenger was given face shield. Overall flight was well-managed despite limitations.
RouteRiyadh to Manila
Date FlownApril 2021

"This airline is selling tickets for false flight"

Trip Verified | Do not book! This airline is selling tickets for false flight. I have been canceled 4 times already since March 23. If you check their website all dates are available to book then they reschedule you and then cancel you last minute. I ended up spending close to 5000USD in canceled flights. They are also saying that refunds will take 6 months.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila
Date FlownApril 2021

"refund would take at least 5 months"

Trip Verified | A very expensive flight - USD 1737.21 for one way economy - that was cancelled 4 weeks prior to departure by the airline with no explanation and no opportunity to re-book. I was advised refund would take at least 5 months, while I have been waiting on a refund for a Hong Kong – Manila flight since October 2020. This airline is not trustworthy – do not book. They appear to be selling tickets for false flights.
RouteManila to Sydney
Date FlownApril 2021

"still have not received the fund"

Trip Verified | I have flown with Philippine Airlines on many occasions and found their business class service to be acceptable, while there are many other airlines that offer better business class service, I choose to fly with Philippine Airlines because of the direct flight flight from San Francisco to Manila. On May 10, 2020, my flight to the Philippines was canceled due to the Covid lockdown and I was offer a refund, it has been over 10 months since I requested a refund and I still have not received the fund. I have contacted Philippine Airlines by phone and emails many times and their customer service has been completely unhelpful. Every time I call Philippine Airlines, I am told to wait and that the refund has been processed. It appears to me that the airline does not want to refund their passengers and are using delay tactics. So travelers be aware that if you fly with Philippines Airline and a flight disruption occurs, you will be out the cost of your airline ticket. I have had other flights canceled on me with other airlines and refunds were received within two billing cycles. This is totally unacceptable for Philippine Airlines to not return customers funds for service that they did not provide. I would not recommend flying with Philippine Airlines.
RouteSan Francisco to Manila
Date FlownMay 2020

"have a lot of pending refunds"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | I made bookings for my brother and finalized everything, then they cancelled it. They moved my brother's flight 3 days later than originally scheduled. There was an alternative flight which is not a direct flight but they refused to give that option. My brother is here to attend a family occasion and PAL ruined it. My brother cannot fly back 3 days later than what we've scheduled. 48 hours is acceptable but not 3 because he has work. The last offer they have for me is for a full refund but will not get the money after 5 billing cycles. I still have a lot of pending refunds which I'm still getting false promises for 8 months now.
RouteCebu to Tacloban