Philippine Airlines

"the food would not qualify as a meal"

Trip Verified | Two things shine about PAL. Their staff are super friendly and eager to help, more so than any other Asian airline that I've experienced. Secondly, PAL was the only airline of a total of 5 that did not cancel an itinerary on this trip. For these two reasons, the review is 5/10 stars instead of 1. The food was unfortunate. Meals were reheated and inedible. Not what I would expect in business class. I realize airlines are utilizing no contact meal service, but the food would not qualify as a meal. The 777 is an old aircraft and 2-3-2 configuration just doesn't cut it in business class anymore. When I arrived in MNL at 4 in the morning, I discovered that one of my bags was damaged. The PAL website indicates you have 7 days to report damage. I reported it after I finished my mandatory quarantine, just 2 days later and was told that they would not take care of my damaged luggage because I didn't report it right away at baggage claim and "someone else" might have caused the damage. Some airlines have been blaming the COVID pandemic for the abuses they heap on their passengers. What airlines should keep in mind is that when the pandemic is over, we have a choice of airlines to fly, and we will remember which airlines treated us well, and which did not. PAL did not. PAL made a bad choice here with my luggage issue. I generally fly across the Pacific in business class 4 to 5 times a year. I won't choose PAL next time. Refusing to repair or replace my suitcase is penny wise and pound foolish, because PAL will be one of my last choices in the future.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"not let me change to an earlier flight"

Trip Verified | They would not let me change to an earlier flight to get home during the COVID situation without paying a fee - which was more than what I originally paid. I asked for a refund then because their website claimed they would give them out due to the situation but I would have to send it by mail or call. So I tried calling and waited on the line for about an hour without any answer. I sent them an email explaining the situation and they were very unresponsive and simply told me the flight had been cancelled due to lock down.
RouteBangkok to London via Manila

21st August 2020 : Philippine Airlines response

Hi, N. We're truly sorry to hear about this. We certainly have no intention to cause you any disservice. Please note that rebooking may depend on your fare rules and ticket restrictions. For your refund request, may we know which email address did you send this to? You may send us a message through our official Facebook page at facebook.com/flyPAL so we can assist you further. You may also submit your request through our myPAL Request Hub. myPAL.vip/url/RequestHub Kindly note that this link can only accommodate requests for direct bookings.

"The refund never comes"

Trip Verified | I had the misfortune of being booked on a Philippine Airlines flight from LAX to MNL in November 2019 with my two very young daughters. At every opportunity, I was met with disorganization and poor communication. The flight did leave on time, and returned to LAX after an engine failure. They left us far from the terminal while they sprayed down the engine. After waiting for the paramedics to take off the panic attack people and going down the stairs and taking the shuttle and walking through the airport they couldn't offer another flight. They couldn't tell me when they could offer another flight. They couldn't offer me travel vouchers, offer me a refund,accept my request to cancel my flight and get a refund. After hours of waiting in line all they had for me was a phone number to call where I could potentially cancel and get a refund. I guess the 300 other people on the flight also got the number. It was always busy and I couldn't get through. I had the charges cancelled on the credit card. Later, the charges were re-instated because Philippine Airlines reported that I 'missed' a different flight a few days after the flight we had booked. They never contacted us by phone, email, or mail to let us know the new date. The flight they said we missed was 3 days after our scheduled flight. Despite our booking confirmation and boarding passes showing the earlier dates, and news reports showing the plane's engine failure on the same date, they only had to show the credit card company a single document showing the revised date as if it was the only date there ever was. After many more attempts to call PA, we are finally able to get through. Initially they want to say it's our fault for missing the flight they didn't bother to tell us about after giving us contact information that never worked, but they agree to give us a refund and send an email documenting it. But they want something like 6 weeks for the refund to go through. The refund never comes. If you call them, they will tell you the problem is with your 'bank' which is really the credit card company. The credit card company never got the money back. If you try to contest the charges after the 'refund' period, the credit card company now says it's 'too late' to help you.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila
Date FlownNovember 2019

"service were top notch"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Manila return on December and January, pre-covid pandemic. All flights were full due to the the Christmas holiday. Regardless, service were top notch, food adequate and with choices some of wines & Philippine beers. As an Elite Member of Mabuhay Miles, I was able to use the business class counter and lounge. Baggage arrived early and in good condition. Overall, I was satisfied with the service.
RouteRiyadh to Manila
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Good service overall"

Not Verified | Melbourne to Manila with Philippine Airlines. Good service overall. Clean aircraft, food is fine, on time and arrival sequence is good. As usual, the check-in and departure experience at Manila was no good but that is not unique to this airline, but the airport itself. Overall felt no different from recent flights taken on Cathay Pacific or Qantas save for much slower check-in experience.
AircraftA330-300
RouteMelbourne to Manila
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"haven't received any refund"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | London to Kuala Lumpur via Manila. Was meant to fly from London to Kuala Lumpur with a 2-hour layover in Manila. 1 day before the flight, Philippine Airlines sent out a notification saying the original 2-hour layover has been changed to a 12 hour one, overnight. As I was rushing to make last-minute arrangements due to their change, I asked them if they could provide me with free accommodation in Manila airport, being a solo female traveller. After hours of calling them from London, and being put on hold and passed from one person to another, and even up till the day of my travel, they were not able to confirm anything with me. No compensation nor accommodation. In the end, I cancelled the flight as they said they would be able to refund this in full. It is now 1 month and 1 week after the flight and I still haven't received any refund in my bank account. I received a notification saying the refund had been processed and would take up to 30 days to be reflected in my account. 30 days have come and gone and still nothing. No responses to emails. When I called up Philippine Airlines, I was put on hold and passed from person to person, each time repeating the history of my case. When I asked for proof that the refund had gone through, the line was cut.
RouteLondon to Kuala Lumpur via Manila
Date FlownMarch 2020

"found that I do have excess baggage"

Trip Verified | Manila to Bacolod. Bought an excess baggage before hand. Upon check-in the staff told me that I don’t have one. After conversation, finally the Supervisor I assume found that I do have excess baggage.
RouteManila to Bacolod
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Japan flight is non refundable"

Trip Verified | We were forced to cancel our Philippine Airline flight from Manila to Osaka. We were shocked when were told by our agent that the Japan flight is non refundable and non cancellable based on PALS policy and would have to pay $350 rebooking fee for our cancelled flight from San Francisco to Manila. Philippine Airlines in refusing to give refunds for travel cancellations. It is a sound and reasoned business practice to refund cancelled trips specially in times of crisis and the passenger is left with no choice at all.
RouteSan Francisco to Osaka via Manila
Date FlownMarch 2020

"flight no longer plausible for me"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Manila. Due to lock down in Manila because of coronavirus my flight was no longer plausible for me. No rebook option was offered. After multiple phone calls I was charged a $250 cancellation fee, and a $125 no show fee for a flight that I did not even board. The phone agent frequently stated how sorry he was but had to follow the airlines policy for coronavirus. Shame on you PAL.
RouteVancouver to Manila

"terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Manila in December 2019. Delayed flight, terrible customer service, zero follow up from customer care agency. I was notified of a 12 hour flight delay just 2 hours prior to my flight. This caused a ripple effect of missed flights and headaches. This airline gave us a free hotel in manila, but the hotel was very unclean.
RouteVancouver to Manila