Norwegian

"charged twice for my suitcase"

Trip Verified | New York to Gatwick. A few days prior to our flight they switched airlines on us. We flew on a very old liner that did not have inflight entertainment. Not the worst situation sure but it was supposed to be on the plane and it is a long flight to London. The cabin was so hot the entire way as if the air was broken, the food options were limited and terrible, and the stewards were a disaster with their service. I had a friend in a broken seat and they wouldn't move him to a seat that would sit straight up in premium economy because his ticket was booked for economy. After our trip I noticed I had been charged twice for my suitcase, 200 dollars for one suitcase. The airline denied refunding me saying that I was charged for both people under my reservation. However, the other person in my reservation did not check in with me at the airport. He checked in with another friend flying with us and her ticket allowed two free checked bags so he checked his under her name.
RouteNew York to London Gatwick
Date FlownJune 2019

"75€ per carry on\2

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Oslo to Vienna. This was the most gruesome inflight experience I have ever had. After having my carry on baggage cleared during check in in New York, on boarding in Oslo customers had to reweigh their bags. After trying to explain to the ground crew that my baggage was cleared, I was told that I can either check in my baggage for 75€ or throw away enough until I meet the weight requirements, all the while some customers pass through without being checked. After repeatedly telling them I am not going to pay as I would have gladly repacked my bags in New York where I could have redistributed the weight, I was told that I have to calm down, and pay or leave. They also kept repeating, that it was an issue of space in the cabin. However upon boarding, it was clear that there was more than enough space for carry on. And so, 75€ per carry on is plainly ridiculous.
RouteNew York to Vienna via Oslo

"Very disappointed"

Not Verified | London to Miami. Very disappointed with Norwegian flight operated by Privilege Style. The seats were uncomfortable with little or no legroom with a box below the risers preventing rest for a long ride. It was an older plane, dirty and many seat problems. Second time we travel with Norwegian, and we pay for their service. We hope this will not be repeated again.
RouteLondon to Miami

"rudest flight attendants"

(Albania)

Trip Verified | Newark to Barcelona. Had high expectations. All the advertisement of innovative strategy and new planes. Booked flights for me my wife and 3 weeks old baby. Did the check-in at the desk (so they assigned our seats). Needless to say, we had the baby in the booking and the person on the desk clearly saw the baby. Boarded the plane only to find out we had not been assigned the seats at the front where the baby bed is mounted. Ours was the only baby on board. When asked the hostesses why, they said you have to get these seats to use the baby bed, and it was the responsibility of the desk employee to do it. But they promised to arrange something. Not only they didn't, but in seven hours of flight, they never even passed to ask whether we were ok with the baby. Do these people hate babies? Honestly the rudest flight attendants we've met. We thought we would be given the baby bed and seats by default. In no moment of time, either during the booking online or at the check-in desk were we offered those seats, for free or for a fee. So they just threw us at some random seats and kept the baby bed in storage for no apparent reason. I've continuously read Norwegian is close to failure. I swear I am a positive person, but I confess I won't be sorry to see them go. And all the fuss about the Dreamliners; thin cushions and narrow seats. But yey, thr window is larger and has a cool dimming effect.
RouteNewark to Barcelona
Date FlownAugust 2019

"they do not provide free water"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Rome to New York. After departure the crew said the price for the earplug was 3 dollars so you had to pay for it. During the flight they do not provide free water. We had the meals with half glass of water and thats all.
RouteRome to New York
Date FlownAugust 2019

"changed to an alternative carrier"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Miami operated by Privilege Style. The advice I received in April from Norwegian staff via telephone was that an individual could not be taken off a booking, but the whole booking must be cancelled and re-booked without that person. This is the only reason I included my wife (who I knew could not travel) when changing the return flight. It was 6 days before departure via telephone that I was told I could remove my wife from the booking without cancelling the whole trip. This led to unnecessary increased costs in paying for a change for my wife on a flight I knew she would never be able to make. Norwegian advertised this flight as being on a Boeing 787 aircraft with the lastest entertainment systems etc, they changed to an alternative carrier, Privilege Style, which used an ageing Boeing 777 with no usable entertainment, no menu, no safety demonstration apart from pointing out the exits, no inflight magazine, and very few flight crew members. The outbound flight was bad enough, but on our return flight we were seated behind a seat underneath which could clearly be seen discarded food and bits of card. Written complaints were made to Privilege Style regarding the flights we experienced. Responsibility for all the issues raised (including discomfort, filthy and smelly cabin, lack of entertainment, lack of amenities advertised by Norwegian etc) were laid with Norwegian by Privilege Style. While I accept Norwegian cannot guarantee exactly the same flight experience surely a great deal of effort should be used to ensure that passengers experience something of equal, or better, quality when changing what passengers should expect at the time of their booking. If I had known I would be travelling with my 9 yr old son on an old plane with no entertainment for a 9 hours plus flight and, on the return, be flying in a filthy cabin, I would never have booked this trip. Norwegian Airlines - new age Pirates of the Sky.
RouteGatwick to Miami
Date FlownAugust 2019

"You get what you pay for"

Trip Verified | My most unpleasant flight experience. Norwegian did not allow to check-in online for the flight and as they understaffed their counters, I waited +1 hour to face an uninterested guy. When I finally made it through hellish security - wow JFK - I encountered a crew that gave off the vibe of not wanting to be there. When I asked about my pre-ordered meal, he said I wasn't on the list and moved on. Snacks were depleted within the first 30 min of flight so I had to make do with some crisps. As I had laid down my head on the tray table in an attempt to find a comfortable position, a flight attended actually knocked on the table to point out the empty box of crisps that was previously under my seat had made its way onto the aisle. Instead of picking it up she just looked at me in disdain. You get what you pay for, but I do expect some basic courtesy. I've never felt more like cattle and will avoid booking with this airline. The only plus here was the aircraft itself.
RouteNew York to Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2019

"paid seat selection was changed"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Krakow via Copenhagen. Impossible to contact their customer service to discuss flight changes. After multiple attempts and long wait times I was finally connected to an extremely rude representative. Not only was he unable to help me with my request, but discouraged me In my attempts to change my flight. My paid seat selection was changed from 8F to 35E.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Krakow via Copenhagen
Date FlownJuly 2019

"musical instruments are special luggage"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Tenerife. I booked my flight through the app and I paid extra for checked luggage because I was carrying my guitar with me. There is no information saying that musical instruments are special luggage and I needed to pay £45 extra. I went to make a complaint and the lady said: Did you book through the app? I said: Yes, she said: there is no information about it only on the website. Then I said: so, I wont pay right? She said: Yes you must pay anyway, but you can make a complaint on the website, then she gave me a a paper card with the information. At the gate, they were checking the weight of all passengers luggage, your 2 bags together must have 10kg maximum and many passengers were charged extra.
RouteGatwick to Tenerife
Date FlownAugust 2019

"hand luggage that was 3kg over"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Gatwick. Purchased "Hand luggage only" ticket, I forgot to weigh hand luggage that was 3kg over. I had to check in hand luggage at cost of US$ 140. I asked if I could just throw out some books to make the weight, but told no repacking allowed at gate. Just a little bit too cold to get to sleep on plane, but jumper in hand luggage that I had to check in. Norwegian supplies blankets, but charge for them. Arrived about 1.5 hours late. I would have just caught the bus I was booked onto. However, I missed it waiting for the luggage I had to check in. I have no objection to budget airlines charging separately for items. However, US$140 is vastly more than the cost of transporting a small carry on suitcase. Looks like Norwegian are the long haul equivalent of Ryanair. My first and hopefully last time flying Norwegian. The angriest I have been while flying for about 30 years.
RouteOrlando to Gatwick