Malaysia Airlines

"had very bad food"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Hanoi via Kuala Lumpur. A terrible food and bad service. We travelled with 2 kids and the first trip just had very bad food. But the way back was worse than any airline experiences I have. On the way to Hanoi. The food was bad but we think maybe because of our taste is different. So i decided to buy some food on the way back. First some how they put my 6 years old kid seat alone far away from us so it leading to no meal for her! The flight attendant said "child meal is nothing, she will give us other meal!" Next 15 mins she came back and said because of the wrong seating (we did not know that she have to seat in other seat so we seated together.) So they fixed it. But yes the child meal is horrible, chocolate, sweet drink, and kind of chicken with mashed potatoes. My kid did not eat any of that just a drink. We kindly asked for a coffee, fight attendant said the airplane is go though a turbulence so they cant service the hot drink! Ok fine we understand. About 45 mins before landing. We asking again (Tthe turbulence is finished) the flight attendant said! " what for? We almost landing" then walk off! We won't travel with Malaysia Airlines again!
RouteMelbourne to Hanoi via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMarch 2019

"cabin crew cheerful and lovely"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Sibu. Check in done online 48 hours prior to departure - user friendly site. Do remember to print your boarding pass at the kiosk prior to baggage drop if you are departing via KUL (KLIA). There was a queue for the baggage drop but the line cleared quickly as there were many counters open at that time. Proceed to the departure hall where I spent my waiting time at the domestic Golden Lounge. The lounge had food and drink options - no alcoholic drinks provided. No shower room available as well compared to their regional lounge. Food choices were fair and palatable, no complains. Variety could be better. Some children in the lounge were pretty noisy and that made it quite uncomfortable but the lounge had an area with a great view of the tarmac for plane-spotting. Boarding was quick and efficient too at the departure gate. The aircraft used was 9M-MXJ, a Boeing 737-8H6 used for MH domestic and regional short haul flights. Seats were leather, fairly comfortable although seat pitch could be better (I'm 1.85m tall so can be quite cramp). 2 food options for inflight meal service, food was served piping hot so it was great. MH cabin crew - cheerful and lovely as always! IFE had great choices of latest movies.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Sibu
Date FlownMarch 2019

"a great airline to fly with"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Wonderful flight with Malaysia Airlines. Boarding was very smooth, boarded by zone which is according to your seat number. The cabin crews were very friendly, always working with a smile. Flight departure was punctual. Seat was fairly comfortable. IFE came with adequate choices of movies/musics. Overall a great airline to fly with. Ticket was very cheap too.
AircraftBoeing 737-8H6
RouteSingapore to Kuching
Date FlownMarch 2019

"still no action from them"

Trip Verified | London to Auckland via Kuala Lumpur. 2 suitcases, 1 damaged, 1 lost and damaged. 4th day trying to reach customer service 2 emails and several calls with still no action from them! Food just above average, staff so-so, really depending on the person. No care whatsoever with their customers.
RouteLondon to Auckland via Kuala Lumpur

"they are a great deal"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Travelled SGN-KUL-PNH on 5-6 March 2019 on the ageing B737. The ticket was a coup, purchased under heavy promotion from Malaysia Airlines homepage, class D, and could be changed endlessly as desired. Generous miles given. Smooth transfer in SGN to where I arrived from KUL (also on MH) in economy. They re-labelled the luggage so I avoided exiting transit. MH has in SGN changed to use the new Le Saigonnais Lounge which is a blessing and an improvement to the previous Apricot. In KUL, I had a night over in Golden Lounge (accessed to elite FFP-card by QR), which went smoothly. Malaysia Airlines delivers and make me willing to take long detours when the price is tempting. Largest weakness is lack of any booze on regional and domestic flights. This is accentuated by the ageing fleet of noisy B737 equipped with unpredictable configuration and refurbishment. IFE is often completely lacking on these aircrafts. However, according to price paid and punctuality they are a great deal and a rising company.
RouteSGN to PNH via KUL

"everything went well"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Ho Chi Minh via Kuala Lumpur on 2 separate tickets 4th and 5th March 2019. Old aircrafts B737. Flights on time, boarding smooth, FAs adept. Special meal (SFML) preordered for free and given out smoothly to perfection. No beer nor sparkling water in economy class. Otherwise, everything went well, luggage and transfers handled to perfection. In CGK, they use Plaza Premium new lounge in T3, a nice breeze overlooking the tarmac. In KLIA their Golden Lounges are a breeze and faultless. I spent a night in transit there at sleepers’ area without hassle. FFP-miles granted correctly though I am in the process of changing FFP from QR to BA. Tickets very cheap. All benefits from being an elite flyer granted.
RouteJakarta to Ho Chi Minh via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMarch 2019

"attentive, friendly and helpful"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | A very pleasant flight from Singapore to Indonesia, FAs were attentive, friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. Cabin crew very friendly good smiles and helpful. Toilets clean very comfortable seat in economy class with AVOD and nice entertainment system. Good job Malaysia Airlines. I really hope MH will be back on top again. What happened to them was very unfortunate and not their fault.
RouteSingapore to Indonesia
Date FlownOctober 2018

"standard has deteriorated over the years"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | I am Malaysian and I love my country, thus my support for the country's premier airline, flying frequently (monthly) between Sabah and Kuala Lumpur for work. The uniform and the MAS logo brings good memories when MAS was actually good and was one of the best airlines in the world. However, it is disheartening to see that our national airline's standard has deteriorated over the years. From old and worn-out planes, dysfunctional inflight entertainment, bad quality food, and the worst of all, unfriendly and unhelpful staff. On my recent flight there was a stewardess who was in such a bad temper, she was almost throwing the in flight meals at us. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm not a demanding person and I've flown with many airlines to be able to see the difference. Work is busy and I wouldn't have written in if it were just a one time disappointment or isolated incident. While others strive to provide unfailingly good service, MAS has excelled in providing consistently poor service. If you have a choice, and you treasure a pleasant flight experience, choose another airline.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu via Lahad Datu
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"refusing to refund the money"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur. I had purchased a last minute upgrade to business at the check in counter where I was informed that infants cannot be upgraded, but it is just an issue within the system and there would be no issue with my baby seating with me, it is just for the processing for the ticket. Upon embarking the plane, the flight attendant told me he couldn’t seat with me. The initial counter staff then got on the plane and dismissed their initial statements saying they could sit with me. They also told me it was just during the take off he couldn’t sit with me but the flight attendants refused? Which ended up with me sitting in economy. The counter staff and flight attendants also fed me misinformation such as the captain could make a decision on where we could seat but this was not true. They are refusing to refund the money we paid for the upgrade.
RouteMelbourne to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"they may not be worth it"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Tokyo via Kuala Lumpur. Overall the flight was quite pleasant. Food was adequate, and there was a normal amount of leg room. Unfortunately on our return flight we ran into some problems where our trains to the airport were hours late. Subsequently we missed our flight and were left out to dry by the Malaysia Airlines staff. A one and a half hour delay caused us to be 10 minutes late to check in (1 hour before departure). The staff did not help us find another flight and after searching online we found that we essentially had to pay a fee equivalent to the price of our entire return trip from Australia for missing our flight if we wanted to rebook. On top of this we would have to pay the difference between our original flight and the rebooked flight which looked like double four times the original price. Overall probably would have been fine with the experience if we didn't have to go through the difficult situation of rescheduling flights. Customer service was almost no help and they were not transparent about how they calculated these extra fees and last minute prices. Malaysia Airlines were one of the cheapest options but honestly after this they may not be worth it. Flights are often very time specific and taken in potentially stressful situations so in the future I would recommend just paying the little bit extra to use a more reliable airline with a better reputation.
RouteBrisbane to Tokyo via Kuala Lumpur