Malaysia Airlines

"This is extremely unprofessional"

Not Verified | I was flying from Sydney to Mumbai on the 3rd January 2021. Flight got canceled and I received a single email, but then they still tried to check me in via sms? Had to call to confirm if it was actually cancelled. Later I was told that they will deduct over 200 USD as admin charges on a refundable ticket! And when I asked for a timeline for a refund - they don’t have a time line, there is a minimum wait of over 8 months. Seriously? At least provide us with something. This is extremely unprofessional.
RouteSydney to Mumbai via Malaysia
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Worst airline experience"

Trip Verified | Worst airline experience when covid hit back in March. I was in Nepal and had a flight booked for 23 March (it was 19 March). Heard a rumour that KTM airport was going to close in 24 hours. Went straight to Malaysia Airlines office the next morning. Was told that “yes the flight is cancelled however our system has yet to be updated so you will have to pay the difference and claim it back later”. I had no choice and they knew it, the flight they were moving me to was to depart in 3 hours, so I had to get back to the hotel, pack and rush to the airport. So my original flight was already double the normal price and I then got charged that and a bit more again... so paid quadruple the normal price in total. I went round and round in circles for 8 months where they even claimed not to have an office in KTM (I sent them a photo of it via google to disprove this particular lie). So, as with many others, no refund as promised or travel voucher or anything.
RouteKathmandu to Adelaide via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMarch 2020

"No refund has been given"

Trip Verified | Perth to Phuket via Kuala Lumpur. Was due to fly in April but was cancelled by airline in March. No refund has been given, being told it was non refundable ticket, yet nothing states this.
RoutePerth to Phuket via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownApril 2020

"will never fly with this airline"

Trip Verified | Due to Malaysian border closed could not travel, asked for refund, told to fill in bank detail. Called every week to check refund weekly but every time told in the process, can’t tell how long before I get refund. Then a month later told me to fill in bank detail again. No reason given. I paid by credit card , their email message is - due to insolvency of payment partner Wirecard where customer purchased their tickets with non Malaysian Ringgit were unfortunately being rejected/ hold under Wirecard. Therefore refund will need process through bank transfer. A lot of lies, from other complaints online, don’t believe Malaysian airlines have intention of refunding customers. Poor service will never fly with this airline. The call centre will just lied & said they don’t due with refund, can’t help.
RouteLondon to Miri via Kuala lumpur
Date FlownOctober 2020

"not willing to refund ticket"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I booked tickets 7 months ago to travel in November 2020, the flight has been canceled. Malaysia Airlines not willing to refund ticket, and keeping travel restrictions to finish travel 31st December 2021 and booking has to made before June 2021 to utilize that money, If I don't travel with given dates, I cant utilize anymore that money.
RouteAuckland to Delhi via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"never book again with Malaysia Airlines"

Trip Verified | We have booked 5 flights with Malaysia Airlines in October this year, economy and business class. In the mean time we received approx. 20 changes in the scheduling. Some flights changed a few minutes, 3 of the 5 flights were completely rescheduled: 1 flight 2 days later, 1 flight 1 day later and 1 flight 1 day earlier. There was a very quick reply after a request for reimbursement: not applicable while extra ordinary circumstances. They simply refuse any flexibility, no compensation, no hotel. Nothing. The policy of Malaysian is clearly to use the uncertainty to earn a lot of money, because people are forced to rebook or cancel flights. Their extended flexibility-policy allows one to rebook flights by 31 December and travel by 30 June 2021. It is a very short period if you are from overseas. Having a pretty complex itinerary, there is only one thing we can do: cancel,and never book again with Malaysia Airlines. A zero star rating in the review is unfortunately not possible.
RouteMiri to Bali via Kota Kinabalu
Date FlownAugust 2020

"vouchers instead of refunding"

Not Verified | Malaysia Airlines are providing vouchers instead of refunding flights impacted by corona virus. Unfortunately MAS are stipulating you have to rebook by December and have completed flights by June 2021. This is less than 1 year now and getting less every day. Most airlines are offering 1 year from original flight dates, some are 2 years.
Date FlownJuly 2020

"huge amounts of leg room"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | Excellent boarding process, economy class seats were comfortable with huge amounts of leg room (behind the divider or the door). Great source of entertainment with a large screen which is responsive. For a 7 hour plus flight, they gave out so many snacks ranging from Japanese style to Malaysian style. For food and beverages it would be a 5 star. Landing wise was average a little on the hard side.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Narita
Date FlownNovember 2019

"refuses to refund any money"

Not Verified | Airline cancelled flight, refuses to refund any money and is offering to rebook tickets at twice the price (equivalent dates). It is cheaper to buy a brand new ticket elsewhere.
RouteLondon to Kuala lumpur
Date FlownApril 2020

"this is a really responsive airline"

Trip Verified | We have actually not yet flown. Our flight was due to go in July 2020. I was trying to get a voucher because of COVID19 through the booking agent (mytrip.com) with no success so finally contacted Malaysia Airlines direct. The representative was very helpful, no problem that we had booked through an agent, and processed the voucher request immediately. I had it in my inbox within 3 hours of the phone call. And, to my surprise, we were awarded a credit 20% higher in value than the original booking. Now, this is a really responsive airline! First, I did not have to wait until the flight was due to depart in order to get the voucher, and they have been very flexible and generous in their response! Well done Malaysia Airlines.
RouteBangkok to Kuala Lumpur