Lion Air

"shady and unprofessional"

Trip Verified | Malang to Jakarta. Absolutely appalling.We booked tickets that said they came with checked baggage, yet when we looked the day before flying it said no bags. Pre-paid bags can only be paid earlier than 6 hours prior to the flight. Impossible to purchase online within 48 hours of the flight. Clearly we were not able to go to the airport the day before our flight to pay a slightly cheaper price for our bags. The worst part is they charge by kg, so our heavy bags cost us about 800k rupiah (~$80) at the airport. The staff understood nothing and looked almost smug taking our cash (oh yeah, they only accept cash). Completely shady and unprofessional.
RouteMalang to Jakarta
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"I don't have visa"

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur. Worst airline, especially the employees at boarding pass. I came 4 hours early, check in online, the immigration counter asked me to print boarding pass, I went to boarding pass counter telling them I don't have visa, and asking me for Hotel booking, and asking bank information, and she told me that I can't leave the country, or travel. Most incompetent employees ever.
RouteJakarta to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"thumb down to this Airline"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Booked return tickets on 9/01/2019 from Denpasar-Banda Aceh 14/01 and return Banda Aceh- Denpasar 27/01. I called customer service on 9/01 to double check how to book the baggage on my way back 27/01 because there is no option to choose from Banda Aceh to Medan, but the customer service said I don't have to worry because I still have 20kg free baggage, because the new system is not officially confirmed yet. And on 27/01 in Banda Aceh airport when I do check in, I forced to pay 1.820.000; IDR on the spot which is half price of my travel fees, after 2 hours tried to get some help from customer service and they can't do anything just asked me to pay first the baggage and then the next day asked me to call customer service for comparing or claim. Called them the next day almost 1and half hour calls, they are just only able to say sorry and they don't accept their mistake and not able to return the baggage fee which actually I have to pay for their mistake, who didn't give me clear information and never update the information. It is really SAD, as we wanted to speak to the manager of lion Air but they say not available. I gave thumb down to this Airline as they gave me unpleasant experience.
RouteBanda Aceh to Denpasar via Jakarta
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"usual no-frills flight"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Flight left only 40 mins late - on time by Lion's standards. It was the usual no-frills flight with no food, drinks or enterntainment, except for one annoyance. Despite checking in early, I was given a seat in the very last row right by the toilet which was stinking of urine as many passengers didn't know how to flush it! On the first leg stewardess kindly offered that I could move elsewhere, but on the 2nd leg from Makassar they insisted the plane was full and I had to stay there, when in fact later I found entire rows of seats empty at the front.
RouteJayapura to Jakarta via Makassar
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"typical no-frills Lion style"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Surabaya to Jayapura via Makassar. Flight left Surabaya one hour late - nothing unusual for Lion Air. Transfer in Makassar went smoothly and we arrived in Jayapura just that one hour late. Apart from the delay, it was a smooth flight, typical no-frills Lion style.
RouteSurabaya to Jayapura via Makassar
Date FlownDecember 2018

"notorious for late flights"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Denpasar to Jakarta. Lion air is notorious for late flights with no information. You will not find cheaper tickets and if you are OK with waiting at the airport indefinitely then this airline could be for you! Typically flights accrue delays as the day goes on due to "operational reasons" which typically are late accumulated arrivals over the day. The staff is obnoxious about the delays and have heard all complaints from passengers over the years to the point that another one is but a grain of sand on a beach. Lion air, always delayed, always disappointing on everything except the price. The number of times I promised myself to pay the premium to fly anything but lion somehow got beaten again by the stated schedule.
RouteDenpasar to Jakarta
Date FlownDecember 2018

"left almost an hour late"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Bought a through ticket from Yahukimo via Jayapura to Jakarta with only 30 minutes time to change. The flight from Yahukimo left almost an hour late, and despite rushing, they closed the boarding gate for the Jakarta flight before I could get on. That was not surprising. However, Lion Air staff at Jayapura tried to blame missing the connection on me (despite their first flight being an hour late) and insist that I buy a new ticket to Jakarta! It took almost an hour of arguing to get them to rebook me for next morning's flight at no cost. Other than this issue, both flights were uneventful.
RouteYahukimo to Jakarta via Jayapura
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Service is terrible"

(Belarus)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Denpasar. Service is terrible. Flight was late for 2 hours. But we were informed about delay 15 minutes before the scheduled departure. Airport staff was just laughing when I tried to get any info about the flight. They didn't understand English. Very terrible company.
RouteJakarta to Denpasar
Date FlownNovember 2018

"the usual Lion Air flight"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Surabaya. Only 15 minutes delay. Otherwise the usual Lion Air flight. Pretty crew and free checked-in luggage, cramped seats that at least did recline, and no food or drinks.
RouteJakarta to Surabaya
Date FlownOctober 2018

"extremely rude and disrespectful"

Trip Verified | Check-in desks were over capacity, had to wait hours in the queue only to have it closed on us. This was apparently due to the fact that the check-in employees weren't even Lion Air employees but Batik Air employees that were asked to help them out. It is shameful that such a big airline will organize so many flight to then not have the staff to handle it. The staff that they did have there were extremely rude and disrespectful. Not the first time I have a bad experience with this company.
RouteDenpasar to Kupang