LATAM Airlines

"worst flying experience I've had"

Verified Review | Punta Arenas to Santiago. Worst flying experience I've had, and it was on my honeymoon, sadly enough. Our flight was to leave at 4 am. We boarded the plane and waited in our seats for over an hour - no communication as to why there was a delay on take off. After an hour and a half of waiting we were told the flight had been cancelled because the plane was having engine troubles. They told us they didn't know when it would be rescheduled for, so we just had to wait. Then, 4 hours later, we found out the flight was rescheduled (to 12 hours after it was supposed to take off.) I talked to multiple people who said LATAM wouldn't let them switch to one of the earlier flights going to the same destination, even though there were seats available, so they missed their connections. When checking in for the rescheduled flight- there was 1 employee working doing check-in and bag drop, while 50 people waited in line. (and “conveniently" the electronic check-in wasn't working that day either.) At one point, nobody was at the front desk for over 20 minutes, while the line continued to get longer. We were given "vouchers" since the flight was cancelled, which equalled 7,000 pesos or about $10 USD only to be used on a sandwich or NA beverage, and of course they were out of sandwiches and could only be used at the cafes outside of the gate area, so everyone had to go through security again just to get their "free" coffee. Wouldn't have been a big deal if it wasn't the cherry on top of a very long day. It was the slowest, most unorganized airport I have ever seen. I was told to expect an email with information about a $50 reimbursement. It's been almost a week and haven't received that email yet. Furthermore, $50 is not even close to enough considering we lost an entire day of our honeymoon because of this flight. Fortunately these things happen rarely. But when they do, it is the airport's responsibility to their customers to make it right and reimburse for the wasted time and inconvenience it has caused.
RoutePUQ to SCL
Date FlownDecember 2016

"service nowadays is poor"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Frankfurt to São Paulo. LATAM Airlines used to be a reference when it was Tam Airlines, unfortunetely the service nowadays is poor. The boarding process at Frankfurt Airport was confusion, they tried to create lines per rows at the gate, but they failed. The flight took off on time, then they started the service, there was two options of dishes for dining (pasta and meat) and only one option for breakfast (Sandwich). Drinks options were very limited. There wasn't amenities kit, nether welcome drinks when we came on board. During the flight after service they didn't offer more drinks, nothing more. Such a long flight with LATAM Airlines was an unpleasant experience.
RouteFRA to GRU
Date FlownDecember 2016

"never recommend this airline"

Verified Review | Recife to London via Sao Paulo. I have travelled to Brazil many times before but this is the first time I chose LATAM. I thought the connection would be easier by using the LATAM. However this was a mistake. First of all, I have only 1:45 minutes connection time, and the plane was late about 30 minutes. I was told by the crew not to worry. Arriving in São Paulo, it took us almost half hour to leave the plan and get the bus. I understand problems may happen. However the lack of information or assistance from the crew, not even to confirm the gate number or whether I had to change terminal, was unacceptable. I was told by the arrogant senior steward that the ground staff would help. Arriving at the terminal there was nobody from the airline to help with international connection, as suggested; the available staff did not speak English and was only guiding domestic connecting passengers. To make it worse the airport was poorly signed. The only people who really helped me were the duty free ladies. I had to run to terminal 3 and just made the flight. I tried to complained at the gate to the supervisor but she did not speak any English and did not bother apologising. On board, feeling tired and distressed I asked for a cup of water and was served by a very arrogant and unhelpful stewardess. Luckily, I had some very strong sleeping pills, which I took and only woke up in London when the whole LATAM nightmare was finally over. I would never recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteREC to LHR via GRU

"Absolutely appalling "

On a 3hour 30 minute LATAM flight from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires, departing at 1pm (1 hour late) you'd expect something reasonable to eat for lunch. Wrong. We were handed a small cardboard box containing a very small packet of savory biscuits, a sweet biscuit and a chocolate biscuit. Plus a choice of coffe, tea, juice or water. Absolutely appalling and no nutrition.
RouteUSH to AEP

"staff not well trained"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Sao Paulo to Belem. LATAM at Sao Paulo Guarulhos is now offering self-tag machines. I shall not say "offering". They compel everyone to use them, and staff has not been well trained. You are strongly instructed to do. No smile, no explanations. Therefore you should expect shorter lines for dropping. Lines are huge, because they already closed many check-in stations. It took me more than 45mn to drop a single luggage. They also decided that Rimowa and Louis Vuitton bags should be dropped in a special place as they are "very expensive items in case of damage". The whole process was crazy. A321 is a high density aircraft now, with small pitch. I paid R$30,00 for emergency exit, with a lot of space. I should not be allowed to do so, as I am older than 60 and they refuse 60 years old people on emergency exits. As far as I paid, they did not check my age. Food was a courtesy very tiny sandwich, with no other option for a >3hours flight.
RouteGRU to BEL

"very inattentive attendants"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Sao Paulo to Lima with LATAM. In this relatively short trip of 5 hours the only good thing about business class is the lie flat seat, although it is in a 2-2-2 configuration and very old. Apart from that, everything else was really poor as seems to be the case with LATAM business class lately. They only served a ridiculous breakfast, with very inattentive attendants that simply disappeared after 1h 30min of the flight. Horrible food, poor service, small IFE. Truly below par. Only choose it if you favor the seat, otherwise you will be better off saving your money.
RouteGRU to LIM
Date FlownNovember 2016

"like an economy-class trip"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Lima to Sao Paulo. This flight is operated with a plane from original LAN and not TAM. Despite that, the same problems on the incoming flight were repeated. The service was poorer with a economy-class style breakfast served and absolutely nothing else during the flight. Attendants are not courteous and seem to be serving you as a favor. Apart from the lie-flat (narrow and dated), the flight just looks like an economy-class trip.
RouteLIM to GRU
Date FlownNovember 2016

"definitely fly LATAM again"

Verified Review | We flew from BWI to Juliaca, with the flights split between OneWorld partners LATAM and American Airlines. The comparison was not a good one for American. The LATAM planes were so much cleaner, more comfortable, and up to date. The LATAM seats were better, with more legroom. and seat back entertainment systems. The staff was pleasant and helpful. Even the bathrooms were cleaner! One thing we really appreciated was that LATAM gave priority check-in and boarding to senior citizens, along with people with small children and disabled folks. I don't know how often we will fly to South America, but I would definitely fly LATAM again.
AircraftA319 / Boeing 767
RouteJUL to MIA via LIM
Date FlownNovember 2016

"the service has skydived"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | First time flying LATAM after the merger was completed, well I can tell the service has skydived, crew are now too impersonal and can look shabby at times, on board service is very basic for the price paid, well they have changed a lot and it seems they are preparing to enter a low cost type of service, soon food will be purchased on board according to one of the cabin staff. Well in Brazil sadly we don't have much options. On the positive note, the planes are new and clean and they leave on time more than ever now.
RouteMAO to ASU via GRU
Date FlownNovember 2016

"staff attitude could not have been friendlier"

Whilst I was courting BA on this route something magical happened to cabin crew of TAM Brazil. This was my second trip with Latam this year and the staff attitude could not have been friendlier and more helpful. No more standing back and letting passengers fight for locker space or argue about mistaken seat numbers. Crew welcomed and assisted passengers and remined courteous and friendly during what is still limited contacts with passengers. The old habit of early boarding and a fast pace meal service remains along with the crew exodous to the beverage bar for most of the flight. The B777 which doesnt seem to have been on this route so long is now getting tired. Dinner was a decent offering in both directions and although there is not a designated Bar service as such I managed a couple of glasses of half decent red. The small goodie bag of socks pen and toothbrush are no more and not a snack to be seen during the 11 hour flight. Film selections not too up to date but I selected two each way. All in all, boarded, flew and got off rather like an extended coach trip. Not too bad an option in the light of pretty ordinary airlines on the London - Latin America route.
RouteLHR to ASU via GRU