LATAM Airlines

"Cannot say anything negative"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Despite the utterly chaotic and delayed boarding once we were on the aircraft everyone settled in quietly. Seat comfort acceptable, good recline, pillow, blanket and headsets on the seat. Soon after take off menus were handed out and then dinner and drinks were served. Food, dinner and breakfast, good although portions on the small side. Very smooth flight, good IFE, pleasant cabin crew. Cannot say anything negative about the entire flight.
RouteSao Paulo to Madrid
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"by far the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Calama to Buenos Aires via Santiago. I would strongly recommend that you never use this airline. We are seasoned travelers and fly a lot with many different airlines but LATAM are by far the worst airline I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. They are incompetent liars and when things go wrong their customer service is abysmal. I don’t know if they are purposely being completely ineffective hoping that I will give up or if they just don’t have the training and skills to deal with customers. I am surprised that they are allowed to be part of the one world alliance as they tarnish the brand. Every flight we have ever taken with them has been delayed and the check in process is chaos regardless of the airport, with long queues. On the 5th Sep we flew from Calama to Buenos Aires via Santiago. The time for boarding came and went without any announcement so we went to see what was happening. The ground staff were running around telling everyone that the flight was overbooked and couldn’t leave until they removed some bags and passengers. They were asking for passengers to volunteer not to take the flight so that it could depart. They were physically collecting people’s boarding passes from them. Initially they said they needed 20 passengers to volunteer in order for the flight to leave and then they said they needed an additional 12. We eventually left without a single seat spare. Then when we reached Santiago, my husband and I ran to the gate for our connection and reached there 1 hour before departure, as boarding was commencing but the LATAM staff refused us access to our flight, even though we had boarding passes. They said we were not allowed to fly on a plane without our bags and that they were unable to get our bags onto that flight due to the delay to our previous flight. We were told no later flights were available to the airport we had booked but that we would be booked onto a flight 2 hours later to a different Buenos Aires airport. This was so that we could supposedly fly with our bags, as per their policy. We were given new boarding cards, with seats in the 6th row and asked to wait. When we went to board the later plane we realised it was a much smaller and older plane than the one we had booked. It had no entertainment and was dirty. Then the icing on the cake was when we went to board they told us we couldn’t sit in our assigned seats and had been moved to the back of the plane because our seats had been given to someone else. When we eventually landed, you can imagine how horrified we were that after the sequence of LATAM failures that we had already endured, our bags did not arrive. We had been lied to about why we couldn’t board our original connection and why we had to fly to another airport and endure further delays. We queued at the baggage counter for a further hour trying to report our missing bags. We were told that the bags were still in Santiago but that there was no way of knowing when they would arrive in Buenos Aires. We were instructed to wait in our apartment at all times in case our bags arrived as no time or day could be given. We waited 3 days (it was a 4 night break to BA) before our bags arrived and our entire trip was wasted. More than one month later we have no resolution from LATAM. They now say that our issue was caused by “weather conditions” they don’t answer any of our questions when we write to them and they take 15-20 days each time they need to reply to a message. It is appalling.
RouteCalama to Buenos Aires via Santiago
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"food plan is mean on quantities"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Boarding organised by groups. Premium, row numbers, etc. However, we all ended up bussed to the aircraft so a free for all at the stairs to climb up to the plane. Very comfortable seats, good IFE. Meals acceptable although the LATAM food plan is mean on quantities, no starter, no bread and small packaged sweet. Getting a drinks refill takes patience and repeated requests. Cabin announcements in portuguese and unintelligible english. Only four of six toilets working making for some rather long queues. Before landing cabin crew did not walk through the cabin checking seat belts, upright seatbacks, etc. Very strange. Otherwise, this daytime flight very acceptable.
AircraftA350-900
RouteBarcelona to Sao Paulo GRU

"Worst experience ever"

(Chile)

Trip Verified | Sao Paulo to Santiago de Chile. LATAM delayed 5hours my flight. Call center with arrogant people they are obliged by Brazilian law to change the flight and somehow they dont comply with the law until you mention that you do know your rights. They are trained to lie to you, even though there are seats available in the website they told me all flight were fully booked and they could not book me in the next day, just 3 days form the original delayed flight. Worst experience ever. Dirty duvet and pillow. Arrogant FA. Avoid!
RouteSao Paulo to Santiago
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"keeps getting worse and worse"

(Peru)

Trip Verified | Cancun to Lima. This airline keeps getting worse and worse. From a terrible frequent flyer program which used to be good to simply terribly old planes, terrible entertainment options and low cost options at premium prices.
RouteCancun to Lima
Date FlownOctober 2018

"every flight has been delayed"

Trip Verified | Mendoza to Buenos Aires. 4 hour delay- every flight we have taken with LATAM has been delayed by at least two hours, it really defeats the purpose of flying. If you are flying with LATAM, make sure you have nothing to do that day.
RouteMendoza to Buenos Aires
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Onboard experience a mixed bag"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Santiago de Chile to Sao Paulo. Latam lounge in Santiago nice, with lots of space and some privacy as well, food surprisingly good (some high quality chirashi, for example), with a wide selection of wines and drinks. Onboard experience with Latam today is a mixed bag, it used to be a premium airline let's say 10 years ago but doesn't feel it any longer. This time our B777-300 was an old, really old TAM aircraft, interior had seen much better days and seats were worn out (on the brink of breaking down in some places, with some tape here and there). Seats were in a 2-2-2 configuration without direct aisle access for most passengers, therefore (unless you were in the central pair of seats) either you climb on your neighbour or you get climbed upon to gain aisle access; all in all narrow seat, not very comfortable. I read Latam will retrofit all long haul aircraft to a new business class cabin, I really hope this happens soon as today the feeling is all but premium. Boarding was sort of an "all-in" experience since, although priority was enforced, we had to wait some 20 minutes to actually get on the plane (everybody from one door), therefore once we boarded there was a general mess that prevented FAs to be somehow useful to premium passengers. Once in flight, service was just OK (crew not that much interested in providing anything more than what was needed), food bland and amenities almost non existent even in a 4 hours flight. Left on time - arrived on time. One big plus with Latam is the bedding, with large fluffy pillow and a soft white duvet; nice but not enough to save this flight from an average overall feeling.
RouteSantiago de Chile to Sao Paulo
Date FlownAugust 2018

"never book with them again"

Trip Verified | Campo Grande to Fortaleza. I spent 1.5 hours trying to buy luggage for my flight with no help from customer service. I don't understand why its impossible to just buy something simple like luggage. They cant take my credit card over the phone and then say I can do it online but when I go online it says call customer service. I will never book with them again.
RouteCampo Grande to Fortaleza
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"my luggage did not arrive with me"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | When I arrived to London, my luggage did not arrive with me. Even though it was priority luggage (since I was flying business class and I am an emerald frequent flyer on one world and a premium black on latam). After 14 days Latam did not find the luggage and they have not given me any kind of compensation for the delay/loss. This on top of the fact that the airplanes are old, food is not good and entertainment system is updated.
RouteBuenos Aires to London via Sao Paulo
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"I wouldn't fly LATAM again"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Santiago. I wouldn't fly with LATAM again. This is a long flight and though the Boeing 787 is a nice quiet aircraft the squashed 3-3-3 seat configuration and short distance between seats makes it a bit like a domestic flight. We found the cabin staff to be uninterested - except in an older couple in the row in front of us whom various staff spent the first couple of hours chatting to - leaning on others seats and blocking the aisles. When it came to meal times, this couple were given first choice of meals - then after normal meal service had finished were given another meal - different to what was available to the rest of the economy cabin. The food was bland and small servings. There didn't appear to be any of the usual between meals snack available on other airlines. We were an hour late leaving Melbourne and still an hour late arriving, that gave us 10 min to make our connection. Staff were unhelpful in providing advice on what we should, so we just packed all our stuff up before landing and as soon as the seatbelt signs went off we ran to the front of the plane. As it turns out it only took 5 minutes to get to the next gate - where we discovered that the connecting flight was also delayed. We waited 45 minutes without explanation. When we did board we were seated about the cargo loading doors and noticed our bags being loaded - an hour after we had landed.
RouteMelbourne to Santiago