LATAM Airlines

"an absolute nightmare"

Trip Verified | In January 2020, I bought a round-trip ticket from Sacramento to Lima for June 2020. Subsequently, the trip was cancelled by the tour company due to Covid. I called LATAM and was told that I could hold open my ticket until the next year. My tour was rescheduled for June 2021 and I rebooked flights on LATAM. The 2021 trip was also cancelled by the tour company due to Covid. I spoke by phone with a LATAM agent who told me my ticket would be held open until June 13, 2020. My tour was rescheduled by the tour company for June 2022. In early March 2022, I began trying to rebook my flights. This turned out to be an absolute nightmare and ultimately unsuccessful. I lost track of the number of attempts I made to rebook this ticket, but it had to be over 20. For about a week, I made several calls daily that resulted in waiting for extremely long times for my call to be answered, only to be cut off. I waited about a week before I started calling again. Now my calls were answered, but I couldn’t believe I was dealing with the same airline I had dealt with in 2020 and 2021. With one or two exceptions, every agent had such poor English that it was extremely difficult to communicate, I never really felt they understood what I wanted, and I, in turn, could barely understand them. Several times, I had to tell someone that I would just have to try another agent. The background noise level was extreme. I had to terminate several calls because it was impossible to hear. With one exception, the agents did not seem to know how to do their job. They told me, variously: that I should use the LATAM website (not seeming to know that you can’t use an open ticket on the website, nor book legs on other airlines), that it was not possible to rebook my ticket, that the flight I wanted did not exist (when I was looking at it on the website), that it was impossible to book SMF-LAX with them (after hearing that several times, I dropped the SMF-LAX portion and just focused on LAX-LIM), that I would have to go from LAX to LIM via Santiago and Miami, in that order (two agents told me this). Finally, I got an agent with good English on a clear line, who was able to book exactly what I wanted. When we were nearly finished, he put me on hold - and the call was dropped. That was when I gave up and bought tickets online. I had to book the SMF-LAX leg separately on another airline. I sent all the above information to the airline with my request for a refund of the $2198.09 I'd paid for the original ticket. After a very long time, they told me I could not have a refund because I'd been told in the beginning that I should rebook my open ticket.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteSacramento to Lima via Los Angeles
Date FlownMay 2022

"they could not be bothered, we do not give refunds was their response"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Booked to go from Auckland to Peru and then back again. Half way through our holiday they cancelled our flight home. Had to spend two days of the holiday trying to sort out flights home. They gave us one option - leave three weeks later going via Brazil. When we complained they then gave us another option to go via Los Angeles on the day were were supposed to leave but then left us to sort out our ESTA visas to go through USA. I had to ring the UK to get my UK passport number as I was travelling on my NZ passport so that was more cost to me. We had paid for extra leg room seats, never got that money back! So our trip home to NZ was Lima to LA, LA to Sydney Australia (on Qantas) and then Sydney to Auckland with Qantas. Our original flight from Lima to Auckland was available with Qantas their partner airline but because we had booked originally through LATAM they could not arrange us to go with Qantas, yet they could from LA and Sydney. Go figure. We then had to pay again for extra legroom seats which when we got on the plane the cabin crew knew nothing about and I had to complain and show them the payment receipt as LATAM had given us the wrong boarding passes. The cabin crew then gave the other seats in extra legroom to other passengers who had not paid! We were treated dreadfully on the LATAM flight. Was soooo glad to board Qantas flights - we had to pay a extra for their leg room seats but once the crew had heard of our plight the Qantas crew made us feel so comfortable and brought us treats. When we got home I wrote to LATAM to tell them of our experience and they could not be bothered, we do not give refunds was their response. I got really annoyed with them and their couldn't be bothered response and informed them as as a travel and tourism teacher I would using their customer service as an example of not what to do. They are now a case study in my class and the students pretend to be useless LATAM customer service and flight crew and the students critique what was bad service and what a good airline company should do. I use the emails they send and even have a script which the students use. So one positive came out of the experience. The annoying thing is that I want to go back to South America but the thought of flying this useless crew is so off putting. Even if I book with Qantas you may end up with this bunch. My advice for anyone thinking of booking with LATAM / or forced to book with them - warn your employees you may be three weeks later back to work. Take all documentation needed to enter a variety of different countries around the world so you meet their visa requirements and also currencies of those countries so you can by a drink while waiting in the numerous airport lounges you will be forced to wait in. Or just walk home!
RouteAuckland to Peru
Date FlownJune 2021

"I do not recommend this airline"

Not Verified | Totally underwhelmed by this airline. In the first instance, ticket was expensive. The food service for the short leg of the trip from Brisbane to Auckland was pathetic. Even worse for the Auckland to Santiago leg with the main meal being a dried piece of chicken breast with a small portion of plain rice. It was served on a flat discardable plate with aluminium foil covering. It did not look appealing at all. Not warm enough, chicken hard to cut with plastic cutlery, needless to say the meal was very dried and cold. We were served a cold bread roll with no butter. Only one round of drinks. Breakfast was an omelette however, it didn’t have any ham or cheese. Seats are very uncomfortable. Not enough cushioning. I had to wait 4 hours to catch my flight from Santiago to Buenos Aires. This was not the case when I booked the flight - only 1.5 hours transit. Their app is totally useless, you don’t get any alerts, emails or text messages to the various changes they made to my itinerary. My flight back was even worse. They changed my transit time from Buenos Aires to Santiago from 1.5 hours to 10.5 hours. It took me two days to get back home, totally exhausting. I do not recommend this airline. It seems to me that it’s closer to being a budget airline even though prices are not. I wasn’t even asked for feedback so i guess not interested in pleasing their customers. I won’t use them again.
RouteBrisbane to Buenos Aires via Auckland
Date FlownMay 2022

"If you can, avoid this company at all costs"

Not Verified | Flying with LATAM has been my worst flight experience so far. Despite involving a 30 min flight, I managed to experience a 12h delay (which would have been acceptable if they would have done as legally required, meaning warning the passenger of a change in the flight schedule). They advanced my flight 2h, I was coming in with an international connection and had my boarding pass. I show up at the airport and the flight is not programmed, instead of being guided, I was forced to do a super long line (baggage drop off) at 4am in the morning, fight to get my luggage, and fight to get a flight rescheduled. Apparently this was all the "weather". I fail to see how worldwide emails stop, and the customer service of an international airline collapses, when it rains in one city in Colombia but this is so far their explanation. On top of this, they take months to treat every customer claim. If you can, avoid this company at all costs.
RouteBogota to Pereira
Date FlownDecember 2021

"change the date and time of your flights"

Not Verified | Don’t ever buy flexible ticket because will never be able to change the dates because their website give error always. They change the date and time of your flights without explanation - they don’t have reachable customer service. The arrival time to make the connection of flights are not compatible we had only 15 minutes to arrive there in Madrid airport after taking a continental flight (10 hours flight). The seats at the plane are too tight and we were not able and limit water in a continental flight.
Date FlownApril 2022

"I could not go to Chile"

Trip Verified | I bought a LATAM ticket from Cusco to Santiago with a layover in Lima. To begin my travels, in Cusco, where I was told I must be approved to enter Chile or I could not leave for Lima. I provided my very recent (3-hour-old) negative Covid test and tried to download the c19 paperwork, as those were the two stated requirements. There was technical trouble with downloading the document, but the LATAM rep said no worries, it is not that important. You have your Covid test, vaccines and boosters, US documents, etc. LATAM approved me to Chile. (Personal Note: My daughter, who was teaching English in Cuzco had been sick with stomach pain, so if I was not approved, I would have stayed in Cuzco with her.) In Lima, they said the representative in Cuzco was wrong, and I could not go to Chile. I was there hours early. So, I asked for help in getting this document, and they blew me off! Would not help. Essentially, they triaged me and helped all others, mostly Latin Americans. They further assured me three different times a certain gentleman was in charge of the flight would make sure everything cleared. Every time I went to speak with him, he brushed me off. Furthermore, they snuck behind my back, lied to me about getting me on, then asked me my name and passport number so they could pull my luggage from the flight because they knew no one at LATAM would help me. I wrote and called the airline and they did not help.
RouteLima via Santiago
Date FlownMarch 2022

"No one could tell me the price of a second piece of luggage"

Not Verified | Booked a flight through Delta (their partner), so I was unable to add baggage, buy a seat, or add any services (note that booking through LATAM a few months prior did not present me with any difficulties when dealing with Delta). I called, went to the airport a day before, went to their main office in Lima, etc. No one could tell me the price of a second piece of luggage. Online, it varies from $60 to $200. Show up at the airport and I was charged $177. When I asked why, they said I was penalized for not purchasing the bag before. When I mentioned that it's literally impossible to do this, she simply asked "so do you want to check it or not". The airline is in bankruptcy. I really hope someone replaces them.
RouteLima to Denver via Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2022

"they went way way above the call of duty"

Trip Verified | Urns Molina and Mariete Mayos we’re extremely helpful with my ticket reservation to Lima. I had missed the flight the day before and wasn’t in the system and they figured out a solution and got me on board a flight. I think they went way way above the call of duty helping me and I’m very appreciative. Your airline is lucky to have employees like them. Thank you ladies for all your help.
RouteMiami to Lima
Date FlownApril 2022

"I have yet to get my refund"

Not Verified | I had to change the date within less then 24/hrs for this trip and when I purchased the other flight I was told I would get a refund on my original purchase. As of today, 2 months from the purchase date of my tickets, I have yet to get my refund and am told that it is still processing. I cannot speak to a supervisor and I keep getting asked to not email them. That I am in processing
RouteMiami to Bogota
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"Not good at all"

Not Verified | London to Santiago via Madrid. We flew with LATAM from London to Chile and back and also took several flights within Chile. On the plus side the crew were all friendly and efficient. Like many airlines the food and drink service is minimal now so it feels like a low cost airline. The ticketing, website and associated online services are a shambles and the whole system needs a thorough upgrade. We weren't able to check in online for any of our 9 flights despite the system recognising the booking reference and our name. It just kept generating spurious and meaningless error messages and suggesting we try again later. Not good at all.
RouteLondon to Santiago via Madrid