LATAM Airlines

"not recommend this airline"

Not Verified | I flew from Adelaide to Lima. On the way to Peru, I had no complaints regarding the company, they were fine. The day prior to leaving the country, I was in Cusco and checked into the flight (Lima to Santiago) and received a boarding pass with a specific seat number on this particular plane. I arrived at 10.30pm to check-in for my 2am flight in Lima the following morning only to be told that I no longer had a seat on the flight although I had a boarding pass with a seat number. I asked them how this was possible and they initially blamed my travel agent. When this was further questioned, the lady behind the desk then told me that there was a last minute change of plane and it is now smaller. I was extremely disappointed as this meant that O would miss 2 connecting flights and not be able to leave until 1pm the next day. The offered me a night in a hotel and transport, however, this doesn't change the fact that I was extremely inconvenienced. Due to this I would not recommend this airline and would do my best in the future to avoid travelling with them.
RouteLima to Adelaide via Santiago

"Terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | New York to Santiago via Sao Paulo. Terrible customer service. They left our bags in Brazil and took 6 days to get them to Santiago. They wouldn’t allow us to make a claim for reimbursement until the bags had been lost for over 24 hours. On the way back, we bought a jar of honey inside the airport (post security) and they wouldn’t let us bring it in the plane claiming that the shop was not duty free and the airline would not allow for "liquids" of over x ounces from non-duty free shops. This was all post decided by the attendants that were checking hand luggage while boarding (at the gate). They said we could go back to the store and try to get our money back, but we could lose the flight if we weren’t back on time. The 4 hour flight from Brazil also had no working entertainment. We travel a lot, and this is the worst experience we’ve had so far with an airline.
RouteNew York to Santiago via Sao Paulo
Date FlownNovember 2018

"Phoning this company a nightmare"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Santiago. Phoning this company is a nightmare. Phoned 7+ times now, spent more than two hours to claim my miles I earned from previous flights. Prior that, I phoned (two months ago or so) to claim these same miles, I was told that they were 'getting transferred' that never happened. They never transfer your miles, this is not the first time, so if you flight with LATAM and expect to get miles, you have to be a dreamer or a big fighter with lots of patients cause you will have to phone, and fight with half this useless company.
RouteAuckland to Santiago
Date FlownAugust 2018

"service was okay"

Trip Verified | Lima to Santiago de Chile. The flight was operated by a B787. As it was a morning flight, breakfast was served. Only one choice, an omelette, was available with tea or coffee. As it was a short 2 hour flight, I did not use the inflight entertainment system. Even for this short flight, a blanket and pillow were provided. Service was okay on this short sector.
RouteLima to Santiago de Chile
Date FlownOctober 2018

"impossible for me to get my boarding pass"

Trip Verified | Somehow LATAM always manages to make the boarding process more stressful by doing as little as possible for the customer. This time, they made it impossible for me to get my boarding pass online and at the airport kiosk. At the counter, even though I fully and precisely informed the agent of my final destination, she did not book me all the way through and at the gate the LATAM agents kept us barricaded off till boarding time and allowed no time or opportunity to ask them questions. This also prevented me from checking in online or at a kiosk for the final leg of my journey leading to even more wasted time.
RouteLima to Los Angeles

"Had to bribe someone"

Trip Verified | Lima to Guayaquil. Had to bribe someone for my paid airline seat! Arrived 3 hours early to my flight and they told me they gave my seat away and to come back tomorrow with no compensation. I informed them I have to catch a tour the same day. They told me to wait to see if anyone is willing to change their flight. I waited 2 hours at the counter with no luck. I then held up cash and yelled to anyone in line heading to Guayaquil I am willing to pay for their seat. I thankfully had a taker. I can’t believe I had to bribe someone for a flight I paid for, checked in online and had a seat reserved! Apparently Latam doesn’t guarantee anything until you are physically in the airplane.
RouteLima to Guayaquil
Date FlownNovember 2018

"no reason to travel with LATAM"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Sao Paulo to Paris. I decided to give LATAM a second chance after a bad experience between Sao Paulo and Frankfurt two years ago. After all, they have new A350s to Paris, with their "new" Premium Business cabin and service. Check-in at the GRU was fast and efficient, but the Business class boarding pass was a piece of paper similar to a fast-food ticket. I was directed to a beautiful but crowded lounge with good little bites and drinks options. This time, getting on board was on time, and I found the wide cabin looking nice in the mood lighting and properly cleaned. A undrinkable "welcome" Chilean sparkling was served and the crew distributed menus and small amenity kit. Unfortunately, double seats (2-2-2 configuration) are not private at all and I had a very annoying passenger sitting next to me and complaining loudly about the poor food and service throughout the dinner time. I cannot blame him as the food was of very bad quality as well as the wines, certainly not suitable for a Premium Business class or even an international economy class. With everything in a little tray, which was dirty and well used with lots of cracks and tears, they served a choice between a simple salad or small soup, a hard loaf from the basket, the main course of braised beef with vegetables and a slice of canned pineapple. From the wine list of 3 red wines, 1 Argentinian and 2 Chilean, only one of the Chileans was available, a cheap and inedible, acid one. The two flight attendants were polite but unable to attend the full cabin of 30 passengers in a timely manner, and while they were trying to hurry, they often forgot items such as drinks, water, bread or jumping a few seats which left some passengers really upset. It was impossible to get a second round of water, (hard) bread or drinks, but for the low quality wine, I did not complain. After dinner, toilets were already so dirty with water on the floor and other debris, very disgusting, but deteriorated even more during the flight. For entertainment, no wifi, and the system loaded with some movies and music had to be restarted 3 or 4 times due to a malfunction. At least the seat was flat and the A350 is a wide aircraft with large windows and high ceiling and I was able to sleep for a few hours. In the morning, a terrible breakfast was served with a dry and tasteless omelette, a hard bread but okay small slices of fruit and coffee. Although it is a flight of almost 12 hours, no snacks were available or any kind of service provided during mid flight. Fortunately, the flight arrived on time and I was able to quickly connect with Aeroflot for a shorter flight but for a much better experience. I travel twice a year between Sao Paulo and Europe and use different airlines. There is no reason to travel with LATAM if you can choose Air France, Iberia, Lufthansa, Tap or Swiss for the same fare.
RouteSao Paulo to Paris
Date FlownOctober 2018

"never fly this airline again"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Pereira to San Andres Island via Bogota / Cartagena. Terrible airline. Even though I showed the ticket agents both leaving and returning their baggage policy website from a link in my electronic ticket which stated I was allowed one free carryon and one checked bag their charged me twice for my checked bag and forced me to give up my carryon bag which was within the allowable limits when I boarded their planes. My checked bag was also damaged beyond repair on the return trip and severs articles were stolen enroute. I will never fly this airline again, that is certain!
AircraftAirbus 319
RoutePereira to San Andres Island via Bogota / Cartagena

"Dirty, ancient aircraft"

Trip Verified | Lima to Cusco. Awful ground service. Dirty, ancient aircraft. Cramped seats. No control over hand luggage. Flight attendant's English is incomprehensible and non-existent. Check in process was a joke, and not a good one. After checking in in the kiosk, we still had to stand in another line to drop the bags off, online check in isn't available, though advertised. Boarding is a mess, an zones aren't followed.
RouteLima to Cusco
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"I am beyond unsatisfied"

Trip Verified | Worst airline experience ever. I had 6 flights total, and only the very last flight was supposed to be with another airline. First my first flight to my destination was delayed an hour, which would have caused me to miss my connecting flight. I did luckily at that point have a super lady assist with fixing that. Then I find out on my trip that my two return flights with them were changed and literally all over the place. My first flight was now taking off when my last flight was supposed to and my middle flight was going in the opposite direction. I had to have my father call on my behalf, who was on the phone with them for roughly 3 hours trying to fix this and get me on the appropriate flights, which apparently would have cost over $2000 CAD, even though online told a much different story, but it doesn’t seem like they were willing to fix their mistakes. So I had to accept the only free flight change they were willing to offer me, which really wasn’t free since I needed an extra night at the hotel, and one layover went from 2 hours to 7 hours. This also required me cancelling an appointment that was made two months prior and now rescheduled in another month and a half. I am beyond unsatisfied and will not be using LATAM Airlines again.
RouteLima to Miami