LATAM Airlines

"seat didn't work"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Santiago de Chile to Sao Paulo. Old aircraft. No livery and the body of the B777-200 was all white. No explanations given. Business class seat didn't work and was very dirty. No IFE, odd food and just a a tray with cold cuts and minimal portions. Full flight wit long queues on the lavatories because 2 of them was out of service. Rude crew with non sense answers for simple questions. Curious that on this route they use to fly an old 787 and until 20 hours of the flight LATAM´s website was showing this very aitcraft, 3 hours before the flight they have changed in there.
RouteSantiago de Chile to Sao Paulo
Date FlownMay 2019

"not such a pleasant experience"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Lima. Flight departed on schedule, but it was generally not such a pleasant experience.The cabin crew never offered headsets, and although they were fast and efficient with the meal service, they acted notably miserable. The legroom on this particular plane was terrible - it turned the last 6 hours of the flight into torture. The quality of the food and drink was ok.
RouteLos Angeles to Lima
Date FlownApril 2019

"first experience missing a flight"

Trip Verified | Yesterday, I was going to fly from Boston to Sao Paulo on Latam. The flight was leaving at 5:30 PM and I used the Logan Express bus from Braintree leaving there at 2:40 PM. It is only 10 miles to Logan, but I did not arrive at the airport until 4:45 PM. There was no one at the counters, so I called the "customer service" number to explain. There were 5 other passengers who also arrived late. Customer service took 45 minutes to see what they could do for me. The flight the next day did have space. And to change the ticket to the next day would cost $7,910. Considering my ticket cost $1,600.00 I thought this was a mistake. No mistake. I opted for not flying with Latam the next day. Will apply the $1,600 paid for the ticket to another flight on them in the future. It is unfortunate they do not have someone at the airport to speak with directly. This was my first experience missing a flight. I thought there would be a better plan in place for this situation. How many people would pay or could pay an additional $7,910 for arriving 15 minutes late. The solution for me was to call American Airlines and they were able to get me on a flight 2 days later for a reasonable cost.
RouteBoston to Sao Paulo
Date FlownMay 2019

"poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Bogota to Santiago de Chile. The most disgusting and poor customer service I have ever experienced. Flight delayed 4 hours then cancelled at 2am in the morning with little to no explanation or concern. Forced to get up at 6am only to be told we would not be on another flight until 17 hours later. Missed international connecting flights with an English speaking attendant ignoring us and saying she does not understand English. A further 2 hours to check back in. Was then given a travel voucher only for all three of our party to be missing the last number on the printed travel voucher. Once back home in Australia we tried to claim expense of the voucher with incompetent staff who would pause and not answer a question that was asked for minutes at a time. Finally after much heartache was told the transfer was complete and would take no longer than 15 working days to show up in account, never showed up. Called/emailed multiple times to follow up only to get transferred to an alternative team member and told my case was still getting resolved. 4 months later no money has been transferred. Easily the worst experience i have ever had to endure in not only an airline but any form of customer service.
RouteBogota to Santiago de Chile
Date FlownMarch 2019

"awful customer service"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | Santiago de Chile to Cusco. They have awful customer service, they charge for everything. Staff is unfriendly and rude, I had a couple of issues in Lima and Santiago with the staff on ground. They were threatening me 40 min before the scheduled time to leave me if I did not board the plane immediately even if the boarding pass said gates closed 20 minutes before flight. I explained the staff that my elderly mother was at the restroom and that it was still early, they guy was threatening her to leave her on ground if she did not board the plane. Once we boarded the plane, the gates did not close until 20 minutes after, and when we were ready to take off the captain said theres was an issue with the aircraft, we had to wait almost 3 hours on the plane with very little information about the issue, until finally the plane took off.
RouteSantiago de Chile to Cusco
Date FlownApril 2019

"Not the service they claim"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Iguazu to Sao Paulo. Not the service they claim they have online. We had to wait for the staff to go to the check in counter because they will not help if is not 2 hours prior, very strict. Boarding was a nightmare! They opened aft and fwd doors and everything was confusing, people boarding from the back when their seats are in the front and vice versa, staff would only speak Portuguese and no English whatsoever. Passengers helping crew to translate to English or Spanish. Onboard everything was expensive for the small size it was and a bit outdated plane. Staff seemed to be rushing and not really helping. Entertainment was just ads.
RouteIguazu to Sao Paulo
Date FlownNovember 2018

"cancelled the same flight"

Trip Verified | Mendoza to Sydney via Santiago de Chile. Two times in a row, they cancelled the same flight. I paid extra for a flight with a certain duration, and it ended up lasting double the time. I offered them solutions by sending me on different flights that had space, but they said they couldn't do that, that they couldn't send me with other airlines (after two nights at airports, the next flight was with the airline I suggested two nights before). Their personal don't care about what happens, and nobody takes any responsibility on the matter.
RouteMendoza to Sydney via Santiago de Chile
Date FlownApril 2019

"missed = meal as I was sleeping"

Trip Verified | Santiago de Chile to Melbourne. Flying for 15 hours they provided two meals. I missed the first meal as I was sleeping, when I asked them to provide it they said it couldn't be done because they were preparing the breakfast. When the breakfast came the options for me were with ham, which I cant eat because of my religion.
RouteSantiago de Chile to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2019

"very welcoming and professional"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Sydney. Check-In was super quick as there was no lines, but once I reached security it took way too long plus it did not help as I wasn't given an express path pass. Boarding was early which I find efficient as an on time departure is promising. The Cabin Crew were very welcoming and professional, a much better experience than the last time I flew with Latam. Catering was mediocre, a menu was available but there was only two options for breakfast and everything tasted decent. The IFE was good, enough to keep you entertain for a 3 hour flight but any longer and you may get slightly bored. Lastly, the seat was very comfortable even though it's an older product compared to what's available on their 787-9 and A350 fleet.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteAuckland to Sydney
Date FlownApril 2019

"no intention of reimbursing"

Trip Verified | LATAM owes me US$250 for destroying my suitcase. They committed to this in writing in Novermber 2017, and after more than 400 emails back and forth, have yet to pay me LATAM is a wonderful airline if your trip goes well, but the worst airline in the world that I have dealt with concerning any issues. I honestly believe they have no intention of reimbursing me, and provide no recourse/escalation process when problems are encountered. There is no one to call (on an 800 number), no one else to whom I can provide my information, and no resolution. I will do my very best to never fly with LATAM again, and suggest you try to do the same, if possible.
RouteCalgary to Santiago