La Compagnie

"would travel this company again"

Luton to Newark with La Compagnie. We paid £750 return each and it was worth every penny.The plane was a Boeing 757 with only about 70 seats in total. Each seat reclines to practically a flat bed which means you can get some sleep if needed. The staff were very friendly and the food was superior to that of other airline's premium economy offerings. We felt we were looked after from the check in procedure to the lounge in both Luton and Newark. Overall we would travel with this company again.

"deserve to succeed"

Luton to New York (Newark) with La Compagnie, taking advantage of their offer of return trip for 2 for £1700. Having read some previous adverse comments about this airline, we were somewhat apprehensive about what to expect. I have to say, however that our fears were unfounded. The whole experience - apart from the state of Luton Airport, which is not La Compagnie's fault - was very pleasant. The aircraft, which was immaculate, was not full on either leg, and the stewardesses, in their very smart uniforms, were friendly and most helpful. Indeed, service was excellent throughout, and food and wine were very good, albeit the coffee was tepid. Inflight entertainment is somewhat limited but was sufficient for a 7-hour flight. We found the reclining seats comfortable with plenty of position options. Check in at Luton and customs and security screening was very efficient using the fast track lane, and the newly refurbished Aspire Lounge is very comfortable. Overall, La Compagnie offers excellent value for money and gives passengers who might otherwise travel in cramped economy class greater comfort and a more personal level of service for a little more than the cost of an economy class ticket. It is early days for the company and, hopefully, the occupancy rate on their flights will pick up and thus make it a viable financial venture. They certainly deserve to succeed.
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"never fly La Compagnie again"

I recently purchased tickets to New York with La Compagnie for my girlfriends Christmas present. I really would not recommend this airline. I am not generally one to write negative reviews or be overly critical but feel compelled to in this instance. Firstly the positives - nice aircraft, good lie flat beds. The negatives : the website would not work to check in. The flight which was only about 20% full both directions had appalling service - the crew were surly and it was almost an inconvenience for them to serve you. I really cannot underestimate this, and without doubt they were the worst on any airline I have been on. I got the distinct impression they were trying to limit liquid refreshments to passengers. While the food out to New York was great, coming back was the worst food I've ever encountered on any airline, economy or not. And I am including intra-Europe short haul flights in this. We had a horrible quiche, which was sweet and soggy. There was no other option and it was cold. I noticed that the crew dinner was distinctly better and also hot! I should also note that while there was a choice of main on the way out and I got my chosen dinner, other passengers did not which is unacceptable when paying the price for this flight and looking for a business experience. Fish was compulsory on both meals, and while I like fish, other passengers I spoke to left their meals. There was an inability to serve hot coffee - on the occasions where customers pressed their 'call' button the crew did not attend to them. I am sure this is a must given that a passenger could have a serious health problem etc. While the tablets are sold as a positive they are awful. The sound doesn't work, and we had 4 occasions between us where the battery ran out and the crew simply exchanged with other empty seats. If the flight was full I can only guess you would be out of luck. In short, if you are looking for a competitively priced business flight to sleep only, you'll probably be fine. If you are looking to be treated well, you will be sorely disappointed. And then again if I were flying out on business and your company is paying, I can't imagine why you would choose this airline. I do not often say such grandiose comments, but without doubt I would never fly La Compagnie again.
RouteEWR to LTN
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"not worth the inconvenience"

I'm really persevering with this airline, despite some bad experiences. The latest was a few days ago when the London flight was cancelled at 24 hours notice and I was offered the Paris flight instead, with assistance back to London. This is the second time they have brought the flight forward which meant my connecting flight into Newark would be too late. The first time I re booked at a cost of $300, this time at such short notice the cost would have been a lot more. I declined and flew Economy on another airline. So wasting a $350 ticket on United. Twice in the past my La Compagnie flights have been cancelled altogether, one with no notice (I found out at check in) the other at two weeks notice. Not only does this constant rescheduling cost money, I also have to rearrange hotels, car rental etc. Once on Board, the service, food and comfort is more than acceptable and for the price, excellent. But unless they can guarantee better reliability, no matter how inexpensive they are, it's just not worth the inconvenience.
RouteEWR to LTN
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"it's a good product"

We were fortunate to be able to take advantage of the Summer offer to New York and back, £800 each. (On the day of flying I checked with BA, their (admittedly fully flexible) Economy seat was £1,200). Check in at Luton was simple and very friendly, the newly refurbished Aspire lounge is good. Welcomed on board by a very smart crew, only 30 of the 74 seats taken. The seats are, well, oldish style Business class, only angle flat - La Compagnie advertising please note. The food was very good; on the return, overnight flight, a simple light supper was served, which was perfect - other airlines please note. The entertainment was limited, but not bad for just a 7 hour flight. We had problems outbound with seats not reclining properly, inbound was, I think, a newer refurbishment, and the seats were fine. OK, it's not Emirates or Singapore, but neither are the prices and it's certainly far better than Economy or that con perpetrated by other airlines, 'Premium' Economy. I just hope that La Compagnie can do the business, I remember that the other Luton based business airlines, Silverjet and EOS, didn't make it. La Compagnie deserves to - it's a good product and for us was a great and inexpensive way to start a holiday in great comfort.
RouteNew York to London Luton
Date FlownDecember 2015

"all business without flat beds"

I flew to New York to work but didn't have the budget for a business class fare so decided to try the La Compagnie. The booking process was truly frustrating: their website would not accept my contact details and than it would not accept my payment card. I had to phone La Compagnie twice. They did answer the phone but the whole booking process took 45 minutes. Once my booking was made I was sent an email advising me to download an app for up-to-date flight info. This app did not work (more time annoyingly wasted). I tried to join their frequent flyer programme but was refused. The online check-in facility didn't work, so I phoned them again and was told that I would have to check in at the airport. My first dread was getting to Luton Airport. This was surprisingly easy. There is a fast train (20 minutes) every hour from St Pancras. The eventual destination of the train is Nottingham (I think), so my point is that people book seats. I was lucky to get a seat - next time I will book. There is less luggage storage space on the train that you would find on an airport shuttle like the Heathrow Express. Then you have to get onto a rather horrible shuttle bus to the terminal (this bus seemed a whole lot more horrible following an overnight flight on the return journey). Once at the terminal I walked to the desk and was checked in within about 30 seconds. A couple of words about Luton Airport: there are more people smoking outside the terminal than there are checking in inside. The company that operate currency exchange at Luton (ICE) offered a rate of USD 1.34 when the actual rate was 1.54 and than charged a whopping 3% commission on top! Luton Airport is currently undergoing remodelling so there were lots of hoardings, walkways and noise. I went through security on the fast track (really quick) and didn't try the business lounge. There was no sky bridge for boarding so we walked downstairs and crossed the tarmac with umbrellas. I quite liked that as it reminded me of my childhood. The plane is a Boeing 757 and looks box fresh. The blue grey colour scheme is soothing. There are 78 seats in a 2-2 configuration. The cabin crew are dressed in super-smart outfits and were welcoming without being overly solicitous. (On the return flight they remembered and greeted me - nice touch). The amenities bag is a stylish canvas job with Caudalie products and all the usual stuff. The IFE is provided by a tablet that you can remove from the back of the seat. No latest releases but every James Bond movie ever made! I imagine that you would soon tire of the selection if you flew regularly on this route. Food was good, simple and fresh. The seats - most important thing. The seats are 'angled' and not flat beds. So, although one can stretch out, getting truly comfortable enough to sleep properly is impossible for me. I propped my feet up on pillows and then bolstered my body with yet more pillows but this assumes an unlimited pillow supply to be comfortable - which would not be available if the flight were full. Why on earth did they not take the opportunity of launching a new, all business, airline with flat beds? I want La Compagnie to be successful and to keep fares low. At a price that wasn't far above BA Premium Economy this is an absolutely brilliant way to travel. However if fares start to climb La Compagnie will not be able to compete on comfort, service or convenience.
Date FlownNovember 2015

"Would I use again? No way!"

After check in, proceeded to gate to learn my La Compagnie flight had been cancelled due to technical issue. Were directed to lounge where deputy CEO explained that 20 seats were available on the evening flight to Paris. If we took this, they would arrange onward flight to London. Hence ended up flying (with delay) to Paris, where on arrival, we were given vouchers for a Eurostar train to St. Pancras. No mention of any onward transport to Luton. Real story: The Luton bound plane had no technical issue, but the plane for Paris had. Because of higher seat booking on Paris flight, La Compagnie decided to use the Luton plane and fly to Paris instead (since it would be cheaper to transport 20 passengers from Paris to London, than 35 passengers from Luton to Paris!). Filed compensation request (under EU law). Was offered a $650 voucher. I declined this - who knows if they are still in business when I want to use voucher?. After various email exchanges and threat to file formal complaint with CAA, eventually La Compagnie agreed to credit card refund of Euro 600. Since they only have 2 planes, any technical issue translates into delay or cancellation. Okay this happens, but be honest about it and don't lie to me by claiming that you are doing me a favor by flying me to Paris when you just took my perfectly good plane to London away! Food service on board - eat before you depart! General service requires improvement (they're specialists in ignoring you!). Seat comfort is okay, but not a 180 deg recliner Leg Room is excellent Would I use them again? No way!
RouteEWR to LTN via CDG

"worth the money"

Newark to Paris CDG with La Compagnie, and worth the money. That is saying a lot because I am a frugal person. Professional flight crew, food was great, gourmet and unique to the French culture. The reclining seat was the best part. The I-pad was just a so-so feature.
RouteEWR to CDG
Date FlownOctober 2015

"lost confidence with La Compagnie"

My La Compagnie flight from Newark to Luton on 15th October was cancelled one hour before the flight was due to leave, technical fault. Promises of being sent the next night, 24 hours later. Eventually put in hotel by La Compagnie and assured we'd receive communication the next day. No communication whatsoever, all chasing done by passengers. Passengers not advised, not answering emails either. Lunch time of 16th told flight (after my call to them) would leave following morning at 7.15 am - approx. 33 hours after original flight. Offered at 5.00 pm on 16th a flight to Paris for that evening. Too late and lost confidence with La Compagnie - flew with Virgin back home.
RouteNewark to Luton

La Compagnie customer review

La Compagnie from Luton to New York was excellent. Easy and friendly check-in, fast track through security. Lounge at Luton currently WIP but when finished will be good - plenty to eat and drink. Walk from lounge onto plane - only downside no jetty. Plane only 60% full so made it feel even more exclusive. Quiet, calm and relaxing. French flight attendants very professional. Good food and drink, slept 4 hours and I had no problem with the angled seat. They now have a proper amenity kit. Best part from the arrival gate to taxi at Newark just 30 mins including picking up luggage. Great flight times - leaves 5.45pm out of Luton so can work most of the day and into New York by 9pm. Amazing value and excellent experience.
RouteLuton to New York