Kulula

"This is my last encounter with Kulula"

Trip Verified | Horrible treatment of customers. I felt like a child because of the absolute rudeness of staff. My flight was canceled with no explanation and I was put on an earlier flight, I checked in the night before to ensure I am seated next to my husband and once we got to the boarding gate I was told I was moved, no one could explain why and told me to go to my new seat and there is nothing they can do. Once in the aircraft I asked the first attendant if I can be moved back and he rudely said there is nothing he can do. A second attendant understood and asked the gentleman seated in my original seat if we could swap (turns out he checked in late and was given my seat) once sorted the head attendant rudely demanded to see our boarding passes and treated us in the worst way before she realized she was wrong and we were in our correct seats. For the remainder of the flight she would not even serve as, even though our seats were allocated to her. This is my last encounter with Kulula.
RouteCape Town to Johannesburg
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"It is impossible to get hold of anyone"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | This review does not relate primarily to the quality of flight but customer service. It is impossible to get hold of anyone, and when you do, they do not assist. 1) I booked a flight with the airline in December, which I subsequently had to cancel given that I tested positive for COVID-19. I provided proof to the airline and a refund was requested. Subsequently, the refund was deposited as a voucher in Travelbank. However, to details that are not my own? I cannot understand why I had to verify all my details for the money to get sent elsewhere? I therefore, have no way of accessing this money. 2) Next, I am trying to book a flight to the UK, I need to do so urgently to apply for the appropriate visas. Although the flight is British Airways (BA), I have to book through Kulula to access my Discovery Vitality Contribution. However, whenever you click on any BA flight, it just says error. I have been trying multiple times a day, everyday, for over a week, myself and my spouse have sat on hold for over four hours with no luck. After being on hold for an hour on one of the occasions, my spouse got through to someone who said that they will escalate the matter related to BA flights not working. We have not heard back. I have also sent multiple emails with no response. Unfortunately, British Airways will likely lose that money because we cannot wait indefinitely to book flights. I am honestly questioning whether booking through Kulula is worth the Vitality Contribution.
RouteJohannesburg to Durban
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Won't be using them again"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Zero social distancing, sitting like sardines. Badly damaged my bag that was booked in, had to buy a new one before returning on a different airline. Won't be using them again.
RouteLanseria to Capetown
Date FlownNovember 2021

"worst airline in this country"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Absolute worst airline in this country. They have absolutely no regard for their passengers or the fact that we’re in a pandemic. If you want an airline who’ll actually get you to your destination safely and without any problems, literally choose anyone but Kulula.
RouteDurban to Cape Town
Date FlownNovember 2021

"They will never see us again"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Pathetic airline. We arrived well on time for our flight, was sent around, in the end they gave our seats to other people. Zero customer service, basically stole R7000. Male at Kulula service kiosk has no idea about dealing with customers. Arrogant and rude. Nothing is their fault, they blame the customer. Two other people on the same flight were also told their seats were given to someone else. They will never see us again.
RouteGeorge to Johannesburg
Date FlownOctober 2021

" incompetent and unhelpful staff"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Horrible customer service. After being on hold for hours on end not a single agent was able to assist in changing my flight time. Completely incompetent and unhelpful staff who cannot process a single email. Will never recommend this airlines and never use it again.
RouteJohannesburg to Durban
Date FlownOctober 2021

"you sit on the phone for hours"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | My wife and i flew from George to Johannesburg. We paid for a return flight to George for tomorrow 29 Oct. I tried to move our flight with one week. The service at Kulula is so pathetic that you sit on the phone for hours. Apparently they experience hi call volumes. That was the case for days now. We decided to lose the ticket and money and book one with FlySafair. So unfortunate that we are with Discovery medical and this is the only service they use.
RouteGeorge to Johannesburg
Date FlownAugust 2021

"never reliable"

(Zimbabwe)

Not Verified | Cape Town to Johannesburg . The worst airline ever. Always changing their flight times. When you contact them they don't pick up - one hour you will be on hold. I will never fly Kulula again - never reliable.
RouteCape Town to Johannesburg
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"impossible to use the money in the travel bank"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | We booked tickets through Kulula March 2020 and then level 5 lockdown came and all travel was prohibited. My Mother have a total value of R6400 and I have a total value of R7500 booked for flights from JHB to Cape Town. After Lockdown Level 5, Kulula was in business rescue. Kulula started flying again in November 2020. When we wanted to use the tickets in December 2020, they said we are only allowed to use the tickets from January 2021. They only accept “new” purchases. After that as you know the 3rd and 4th Covid wave came and we were unsure on when to travel. And now they only give you 2 months to use the travel bank as they call it. Me and my mother called Kulula on the 14th September and after I spoke to them for 50 minutes with no progress, my mother had a 2 hour and 30 minute discussion only to find out that we will have to apply for a travel bank again. Firstly, they said they waived the cost of R800 per ticket due to Covid, but that I would have to pay extra for the flights now as they have had quite a price increase. I have to pay an additional R800 per ticket at the current prices, but referring to the ticket prices it was not that expensive. We had a look on their website and there wasn’t that much of a price increase at all. They could not give me the details regarding the prices, but just said it is more expensive now which in my opinion is NOT the case. Covid happened, but now we have to be the ones on the losing end and Kulula is unreasonable, sly and wants more money. They make it impossible to use the money in the travel bank. No one has that extra to pay and they will not give a refund.
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"their service is non existent"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | If you book with them and they cancel your flight, you will not be able to contact them to get your money back or get your flight changed.. I have been struggling for 2 months to get my flight changed ... they don't answer their phone and they don't respond to emails. I cannot give anything more than 1 star for everything because their service is non existent.
Date FlownJuly 2021