Kulula

"So disappointed in Kulula!"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Myself, My 19 Week Pregnant daughter, My sister and My Daughters Mother in law had our flights booked & paid on 16 May 2019. We were on a MSC Cruise to the Portugese Islands (28 Feb - 2 March 2020). We were at the King Shaka airport at about 7H15 the morning, but our flight was only 13H00, so we had breakfast and something to drink later the day, when we wanted to check in (Check in starts 90 min prior) just before 12H00, we were told that the flight is fully booked and they can't help us. Maybe they will be able to help us at 15H30. I was shocked, because I never knew they can bump you of your flight, as we had paid our tickets 10 months ago, and wasn't aware that we can check in before you give in your luggage. (I was under the impression that you can only check in before the time if you have hand luggage). I was furious, as they explained to us that they overbook the flights, because some people do not pitch for the flights, and then they could have put someone else in that seat. After a huge fight and a lady from Kulula treating us badly they offered us a discount on our next flight and a meal voucher of R110 pp. One of the Kulula employees even told us that the MSC was at the harbour earlier than expected, and there were people who wanted an earlier flight, so they gave away our tickets, this is just ridiculous! After waiting for about 30 Minutes they booked us on a flight, and we did not even sit together. Meanwhile the rude Kulula attendant asked us if she can book us with Mango but then we need to pay for new tickets? So disappointed in Kulula!
RouteLanseria to King Shaka
Date FlownApril 2019

"This is ridiculous"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Lanseria to Cape Town with Kulula. Worst airline ever, stuck at the airport because flight left from Durban to Lanseria airport with a damaged fire extinguisher. We have a 3 hour delay because we have to wait for another flight to bring a spare fire extinguisher! This is ridiculous! Couldn't even offer meal vouchers or even juice box for kids.
RouteLanseria to Cape Town
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"decided to get some refreshments"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | We had a flight from OR Tambo to King Shaka on the 3rd Jan 2020 at 20:55. When it was time for boarding at 20:20, we made our way to the gate where no one had started boarding at 20:50. We went to the counter and asked about the delay and they said it would be delayed by 5-10 minutes. We then decided to get some refreshments, the notice boards were then updated with information that our flight was delayed to 00:20+. We went back to the gate to board for the flight at 23:30 but no one was there besides passengers. We asked staff members who were still around what is going on and we were advised that the gate had changed and that we should have been put on another flight to Durban. Later on we were advised that there was no other flight to Durban for the night. We waited from 00:00 until 2:30am for the Kulula staff to issue hotel vouchers to us, only then were we told and we be put on the first flight in the morning (4th Jan 2020 @ 7am) and that our bags had left on the other flight which we were supposed to get on and they are now in Durban without us. During these 2 hours of waiting there was no communication from any staff of what the way forward was. No apology was made either. Further to this, Kulula was sending out SMS’s with the following information, none of which were true: 20:28- flight is now boarding 20:58- flight is delayed and will now depart at 23:00 20:59- flight is delayed and will now depart at 23:45 There were no formal announcements made about gate changes or aircraft changes. The notification boards were not updated with the correct information either. These are the following issues that I have with this incident: Communication from the airline is nonexistent. There were no announcements made for changes to the flight, the boards were not updated with the correct information. If the flight was changed, when the passengers were boarding, staff should have checked that all the passengers were on board and if not, final boarding calls should have been made at least. Our luggage was sent to Durban without checking the corresponding passengers are on board the flight.
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"had the worst experience"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Durban. I had the worst experience with Kulula. The flight was delayed for over 45 minutes with no communication. And my the clothes inside my bag were wet.
Date FlownDecember 2019

"instructed to get off the plane"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Durban. I am disgusted at the way this airline is run. The flight was scheduled at 18:10. The flight was then delayed to 20:20 and then again to 20:40. It is now 21:40 am I am sitting on the plane and have just been instructed that every passenger needs to get off the plane and go and identify their bags individually. This is the biggest joke of an airline I have ever experienced.
Date FlownDecember 2019

"delayed, no apology offered"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | East London to Johannesburg. After being warned of recurrent Kulula delays, i decided to take a chance then boom. Flight is delayed, no apology offered by airline, no food offered since its only a 2 hour delay. Who pays for this one. I do not recommend such an airline that cannot manage time.
RouteEast London to Johannesburg
Date FlownOctober 2019

"without any notifications from Kulula"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Lanseria to Durban. We celebrated our 41st anniversary and our Son paid for the Airline Tickets to Durban and back. We were delayed by this grounding of the planes on 22 October 2019. First message 05:35 - flight MN502 due to depart 13:00 - delayed to 16:35. Second message 09:21 - Flight delayed to 17:35. We have to be out of our Hotel by 11:00 and the Hire Car must be back at 13:00 - so we just had to go to the Airport and sit and wait. Next message - 10:23 - flight delayed to 18:35 - next message 19:35 and at 15:36 the next message to depart at 22:05. Seven hours on the Airport without any notifications from Kulula. I went to the Counter and the Lady had this Sheepish expression on her face until I told her that you do not seem to be interested in what I am telling you. She informed me that all the flights are full and no available seats on other flights. Luckily the Lady next to her told her to check another flight and book us there and then this one got a bit of life. We were booked on the 19:00 flight. Long story short we eventually left with 8 seats open - arrived an hour later in Johannesburg. On the Airport I asked what about meal vouchers and only when I asked, she gave me 2 vouchers of R110.00 each.
RouteLanseria to Durban
Date FlownOctober 2019

"never use this airline again"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Durban to Johannesburg. Worst experience of my life with Kulula, there have no customer service whatsoever. R4500 down the line return flight from Durban to Johannesburg and they can't be bothered that you delayed or not or make arrangements to accommodate you in someway or the other. Will never use this airline again.
RouteDurban to Johannesburg
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"check-in grumpy and idiotic"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Johannesburg. Ok flight, take-off delayed by 45 minutes due to late arrival of aircraft, check-in grumpy and idiotic (demanding to weigh a small framed painting that did not even weigh 500gr, despite ample luggage allowance not used up), supervisor felt staff did the right thing, amazing.
RouteCape Town to Johannesburg
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"we are once again delayed"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to East London. Typical of this inefficient airline, we are once again delayed. How can this airline charge their customers full price when they continue to delay flight times and which in turn not only creates problems for the customer, but costly too.
RouteJohannesburg to East London