KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines customer review

I purchased 2 economy return tickets Dubai - Amsterdam - New York for myself and my wife. I found the aircraft comfort relatively good compared to other airlines. Staff are friendly but a bit "stiff" inflexible. When asking for a drink before the food service they said only after food service - still 45 minutes away. In the mean time at least 20 times they walked passed my seat. The main issue we faced was with our baggage. In New York at check- in one bag was 24.5kg and the other was 18kg. They still forced me to unpack the lighter bag and move 1.5kg to the other bag. I found this utterly irritating especially since the tickets where bought together and our combined allowance was higher. The only answer I got was that its the policy. We took a few days break in Schiphol. There we had an even worse baggage experience at the check in. We used one of those self baggage check in machines because the normal desk had a huge queue. We checked our first bag without a problem but the 2nd bag was 24.2kg. The machine refused to accept the overweight bag and pointed us to KLM staff. Looking at the queue we removed 1kg of clothes and put it in our hand baggage. But what a hassle and that despite that we were far below our total baggage quota for 2 persons. It may deter me from flying KLM next time.

(South Africa)

I booked 2 seats in economy with KLM - Cape Town to Luxembourg return. I choose certain seats and paid a premium of about R5000 and my tickets reflected the seats in which I wanted to sit. On checking in at Cape Town my wife and I were placed in different seats well apart from each other. I complained and it was rectified. On return the same thing happened and I was told to check at Amsterdam to have the situation corrected. Again we were in different seats and not what we had paid for and apart from each other. The lady at the KLM counter said she was sorry but could not do anything. I had to upgrade at a cost of R25000 so that my wife and I could sit together. They shift you about no matter what you pay for and then say sorry. Thereby spoiling my holiday!
Value For Money N/A

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines customer review

Very comfortable and direct flights. I was flying from Calgary to Kilimanjaro and return with KLM. Always enjoy the service. Several hour delay in Dar es Salaam though made for the return trip to be a little stressful. I would also say that the "snack meal" or second meal served should be improved the pizza stick was awful! on both flights! I would far sooner have fruits and veggies.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines customer review

Harare to Amsterdam on A330-200. I paid business class fare expecting to get some sleep during the flight. Business class seats described as 'flat beds' but they were nowhere near that. Just an angular recline which is not comfortable at all. Would have been better off paying for an economy class seat. since I didn't notice any difference.

(Sweden)

KL 1131 / 1128 AMS-CPH and CPH-AMS. 23/12 and 26/12. Although I'm a Flying Blue member I do travel with other airlines so I think I can assess KLM position to other benchmarks. I am actually quite satisfied with KLM. Service is above average too often it's the passenger being rude. Food is ok not better not worse it's an airplane after all. Personally I think KLM is ahead of many competitors when it comes to online check in and self-service luggage drop-off (at least at their home-base AMS) it's far more advanced and smooth than most airlines. Although my last flight was in a 737 without entertainment I know that their entire long-haul fleet now has proper personal entertainment systems so that's good. They were a bit late on their 747s though. I will use them in the future. It's important to distinguish what you can attribute to an airline and what to an airport or worse your own behavior.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines customer review

KL0438 19th December. I paid a large premium to travel business class from Abu Dhabi to Luxembourg via Amsterdam in December. Despite being told that beds were flat they were anything but with beds reclining only to an angle that left you slipping down. Plane was old seats uncomfortable food inedible. My wife and kids flew economy a few days earlier and tell me this was an even worse experience. Luggage allowance is also useless. On the way back despite having 5 of of us travelling and only 4 bags we were told we'd have to pay a 75 euro premium for being slightly over on a couple of bags. We were still way below total weight allowance.

(Indonesia)

On 9th December boarded on a flight from KUL to CGK. They served hot snacks which looked like hot vegetarian snacks but they weren't very filling. While in the holding pattern the entertainment system abruptly shuts down which was unexpected. For the entire flight I only listened to music and played games. I would give 5 for that. On the other hand the TV shows and movies in the entertainment system didn't interest me.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines customer review

Flew today from Dubai to Amsterdam. After reading these reviews I am wondering which airline workers they had on their plane. Everyone was so thoughtful and nice on the flight. Take off and landing was smooth sailing. Food today were great. About an hour or two in I was offered eggs with bread yoghurt butter jam potatoes or pancakes. Drinks were constantly being provided. Lunch was provided. Simple hot cheese sandwiches or spicy chicken were options. Again drinks were provided. Hot towels and headphones were also given.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines customer review

I made a late booking to fly Manchester (Amsterdam) Prague on 1st December return on 12th. So far so good. Unfortunately the flight on 1st was delayed - apparently to replace the co-pilot's seat - long enough to miss the connection. I spent a pleasant night in a hotel. The return journey was also delayed long enough for my luggage to be booked on a flight the next morning. In fact I could have made the connection and was turned back at the gate. (The last flight of the day was already full with a waiting list. Another pleasant night at a hotel). I had as it happens arrived at the airport at about 6.30 am for my 1405 flight so I asked if it was possible to take one of the earlier flights. The answer was 'yes' but there would be a charge I declined the offer. Bearing in mind that problems pile up during the day it must surely be to the airlines advantage to get passengers on their way earlier if possible. I had already paid for my ticket I had my luggage with me and I had not yet checked in.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines customer review

RIO-AMS-BUD. The first leg of the trip was AMS-FCO with KLM and on to GRU with Alitalia. As a Dutch national living between AMS and BUD I had a separate ticket BUD-AMS that same morning connecting in AMS for above mentioned schedule which was booked through Expedia on a separate ticket. 10 days before departure tried to select a seat and modify the travel class for the leg RIO-AMS to Economy Comfort but could not access my booking. Check- in at BUD airport not overly friendly. Even though I had received an email from KLM alerting me that online check- in had commenced hey could not see any other booking and tagged my luggage only to AMS. Re-checked luggage in AMS but they also could not understand or solve issue. Online check-in Rio to AMS opens some 30 hours prior to departure. Tried to check-in and change seat selection and travel class online to no avail. System would only indicate that seat selection is not possible and check-in should be at airport. Eventually changed that during check-in at GIG which was friendly and hassle-free. Flight itself (GIG-AMS leg) was delayed by more than one hour but arrival was only 30 min behind schedule. Seat (first row of economy comfort) is comfortable enough and recline allows for relatively good sleep. Crew friendly attentive and professional. Plane clean. Food and entertainment sub-par. Would have given a 7 for the experience but for the glitch in the entire booking management process and the abysmal customer service feedback.